Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can think of a few actors/actresses- Kelly Pickler, Ashley Williams and Candace (I liked her old movies but I just can’t anymore)- that is an automatic delete for me.

One of the automatic watches for me is Michael Rady, so glad that his NY movie was good. I don’t think I have ever hated a movie he’s been in because he’s always had good chemistry with the lead and even if the actress isn’t very strong, he still elevates them. He got his start on the show Greek for those that like his acting.

• Love 3

The lead actress in SnowComing (Lindy Booth) looked a decade older than her love interest (Trevor Donovan), plus the chemistry was just. not. there. Completely ruined a movie that I thought had potential, plus some big names ( Ed Marinaro, Joe Theismann). Her eyebrows bugged me so much that I don’t think I’ll watch any of her movies.

• Love 2

Agreed, StrictTime, I thought the same thing.  She looks way older than him.  No way did he pine for her.  And Joe Theismann was hilarious, though I have trouble watching him without thinking about that broken leg.

Given the movies are so ridiculous anyway, it seems crazy to me to watch a ridiculous movie with unlikeable actors.  Since they are always told from the woman's side and she is in pretty much 100% of the scenes, I have to draw the line.  Once she is a bitch-on-wheels for no reason at all, or determined to do things her way even though she's been gone for years and the locals all know what they're doing, or stuck in the 'this is how my mother did Christmas before she died when I was 5' rut, then the actress had better be appealing enough to make me stay to see how she evolves.

Another weird thing is that the actresses all appear to have doppelgangers.  YMMV, but as mentioned earlier, I cannot tell the difference between Jill Wagner and Tricia Helfer, Rachel Boston and Erin Cahill, or Nikki DeLoach and Autumn Reeser.  There are two others I can think of but have no idea of their name or any movies they were in (maybe the one where she comes back to town and helps in the bookstore and there is a sexy scene with the blacksmith?)

And for the second time this week:  if you have moved away to the city and haven't even come home to visit for years, you DO NOT get to berate your parents because they are getting too old to work the family farm/inn and are thinking of selling to the handsome local who works for them.

Edited by bankerchick
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

YMMV, but as mentioned earlier, I cannot tell the difference between Jill Wagner and Tricia Helfer, Rachel Boston and Erin Cahill, or Nikki DeLoach and Autumn Reeser. 

I can see JW & TH for sure, though I've watched them enough that I can tell them apart- TH has a super wide mouth that I find unnerving. 

But I don't see Rachel & Erin or Nikki  & Autumn looking alike in any way.  Especially Nikki & Autumn which I don't see  have any facial or body similarities.  Interesting that others see them so similar.  Also, Nikki & Autumn are both two that I feel mostly elevate most of the scripts they take and I like them both a lot.

I don't mind Erin Cahill but really dislike RB so that might be one reason I don't seem them similar. 

On 12/6/2020 at 8:54 PM, Kaoteek said:

Evergreen 4 was meh. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of the series despite liking the shared universe/continuity thingy, but this one felt somewhat undercooked (maybe due to COVID, since one character only appeared via Skype, and the cameos were somewhat limited to Ashley Williams and Barbara Niven), which bothered me since Rukiya Bernard was the lead, and she deserves stronger movies.

The shared universe/continuity/community feel to the Evergreen movies is what makes me like it, actually, but the entire plot of the first Evergreen movie was that Allie didn't want to move to DC with her maybe-boyfriend because she didn't want to leave Evergreen and then Ryan/Zoe moved to Evergreen sometime between Movie 1 and Movie 2, but then in Evergreen 4 they were all living in Paris? How?

Also, I'm assuming that since we never saw Holly Robinson Peete's wedding to her fiance there will be an Evergreen 5?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

For me it's Mean Girls.  Whenever I see her I immediately think, "We should totally just stab Caesar!" 

Yes, but are you still trying to make "fetch" happen?   🤣☺️

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 1/13/2021 at 6:40 PM, EyewatchTV211 said:

I've gotten better, but I used to confuse Ashley Williams and Rachel Boston. I don't particularly care for either of them either. 

Me neither.  Something about RB just doesn't make me see her as a romantic lead.  She comes across too goofy and, not to be mean or shallow, her thin lips bug me, especially when she stretches them to almost non-existance when she smiles really wide

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I think we confuse the actresses because they all play the same part.  No matter the movie.

I was just thinking the same thing.  No matter what the plot, there is no change in their acting style at all.  None of them can act their way out of a paper bag and it doesn't help that they are filming the same movie over and over and over and over and over and.....

• Love 1

I liked Two for The Win for the most part.  I was distracted at first by how pale everyone was with their blonde or very light red hair. Or maybe even gray hair.  Even the lead actress had mostly had very dyed hair with some really terrible roots.  That was so distracting.

But overall, the skiing looked authentic.  The story had some fun moments--like the image of the lead at the bunny hill.  I overall enjoyed it.

I don't think I weighed in but I also liked last week's movie with Michael Rady.  The only weird drawback is how it began before Christmas.  I don't know why they wouldn't have aired that one closer to New Year's considering that's what the movie was mostly about.

• Love 1

I love Hallmark movies and usually don't mind all of the cliches. From the very first scene we can all predict what the last scene will be. I watched Two for the Win and realized that there is one cliche that I'm just getting tired of because it's too overused. It's when someone is leaving and is going to miss an important event.  We see the person getting in the car and driving off.  Then, at the last minutes, during the event the person is there because they changed their mind/realized what was important in life and had the car turn around. I feel like there is absolutely no dramatic build-up because we all know that that car is not going to make it to the airport with the person in it.I love Hallmark movies and usually don't mind all of the cliches. From the very first scene we can all predict what the last scene will be. I watched Two for the Win and realized that there is one cliche that I'm just getting tired of because it's too overused. It's when someone is leaving and is going to miss an important event.  We see the person getting in the car and driving off.  Then, at the last minutes, during the event the person is there because they changed their mind/realized what was important in life and had the car turn around. I feel like there is absolutely no dramatic build-up because we all know that that car is not going to make it to the airport with the person in it.

13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Even the lead actress had mostly had very dyed hair with some really terrible roots.  That was so distracting.

It's a fashion statement that I've never understood.  But I'm also old (as my children tell me).

• Love 1

ON 1/13/2021 AT 6:40 PM, EYEWATCHTV211 SAID:

I've gotten better, but I used to confuse Ashley Williams and Rachel Boston. I don't particularly care for either of them either. 

Me neither.  Something about RB just doesn't make me see her as a romantic lead.  She comes across too goofy and, not to be mean or shallow, her thin lips bug me, especially when she stretches them to almost non-existance when she smiles really wide

No kidding.  I watched The Last Bridesmaid last weekend and when she's dressed for the wedding in her hideous yellow bridesmaid dress, and she says to her videographer love interest Paul Campbell (the only reason to ever watch this terrible movie)  'keep your eyes on the bride' and he says, 'I can't,' I practically laughed out loud.

It's when someone is leaving and is going to miss an important event.  We see the person getting in the car and driving off.  Then, at the last minutes, during the event the person is there because they changed their mind/realized what was important in life and had the car turn around.

Never mind that they left as the show was starting and despite driving forever and having a long conversation with the other occupant, once the decision is made to turn around, they're still in the tiny town.

I can't find Two For The Win so I guess it's not scheduled yet for Canada, but I found on IMDB that the female star is from Collingwood, Ont., which is what passes for a ski hill in Southern Ontario (no laughing) so chances are good that she did some of her own skiing as well.  Having said that, I am up for a new Trevor Donovan movie.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

It's a fashion statement that I've never understood.  But I'm also old (as my children tell me).

I didn't even know that was a fashion statement.  I just thought she'd skipped a lot of hairdressing appointments because of Covid.

On the Sister Wives forum we have a COL group (Clueless Old Ladies) that discuss items like this.  Kind of a support group!

I just finished watching Recipe For Love and enjoyed it immensely because it didn't seem to contain any of the formulaic patterns of typical Hallmark movies (single gal from big city with high powered job goes back to her small hometown to help out with [nsert problem du jour here] and runs into high school crush [who is charming, handsome and conveniently still single] then they proceed to continuously run into each other - usually outside coffee shops while pretending to hold 'hot' empty coffee cups...blah, blah, blah.

What I liked about RFL was that it went into detail about how businesses work (Maggie's frozen food employer and Hank's restaurant) from cooking notes, how to set a table, budgeting, measuring ingredients - things like that.  I actually learned something from this movie.  Possibly the only cliche was Hank being a widow with a teenager and Maggie is 'married' to her job after a divorce, but I was so engrossed by the story that I wasn't bogged down by the obvious.  And it was nice to see Barbara Niven in a role other than Hannah's nosy, annoying, mother on Murder, She Baked

• Love 3

I watched One Winter Weekend and One Winter Proposal (Taylor Cole looked really good in the little green dress in the first and Jack Turner is just as pretty). Rather formulaic, duh, but diverting. I see from IMDB that a One Winter Wedding is slated for this year. Since she's a mystery writer maybe they can jump the tracks and follow that one up with a One Winter Murder. He's a hotshot CEO so it would be just like Hart to Hart. 😜

• LOL 4

Regarding actresses that look alike, when I first started watching Hallmark I thought these guys were the same person

andrew Walker and Jack Turner 

Victor Webster and Kris Polaha

Vincent Dangerfield and Mike Faglia <— it’s actually Faiola

Edited by Woopwoopkitty
Corrected the name
  • Love 1

Agreed on Webster/Kolaha, never heard of Dangerfield/Faglia (IMDB does not pull up any Faglia) but I don't see Walker/Turner.  I used to confuse Andrew Walker with Luke Macfarlane and one other guy whose name I don't know, but Andrew Walker has serious chemistry with most of his costars which I cannot say about Macfarlane (not to mention Walker's characters seem to have some personality.)  Having said that, I find that a couple of guys stand out and the rest might as well be the same person.  Same as the women, I guess, though I find the unmemorable guys more innocuous than annoying and while I'm not particularly attracted to some of the guys, that won't make me turn the channel like a shrewy hag of an actress will.

• Love 2
On 1/19/2021 at 12:02 PM, bankerchick said:

Agreed on Webster/Kolaha, never heard of Dangerfield/Faglia (IMDB does not pull up any Faglia) but I don't see Walker/Turner.  I used to confuse Andrew Walker with Luke Macfarlane and one other guy whose name I don't know, but Andrew Walker has serious chemistry with most of his costars which I cannot say about Macfarlane (not to mention Walker's characters seem to have some personality.)  Having said that, I find that a couple of guys stand out and the rest might as well be the same person.  Same as the women, I guess, though I find the unmemorable guys more innocuous than annoying and while I'm not particularly attracted to some of the guys, that won't make me turn the channel like a shrewy hag of an actress will.

Upthread, we played the "spot the actor/actress in another role game", and this can be played with even non Hallmark movie viewers.  I left the tv on that channel a while back, and the hubby happened to pass by.  He saw Luke Macfarlane and said "hey - that's the guy in [insert Syfy show]!"  I can't recall the name of the Syfy show.  

• Love 1

Agreed.  Whenever anyone comments on how they remember someone from this show or that show, I have usually never even heard of the show, never mind watching it.  I did try to hunt some of them down, specifically Bitten, as someone wondered if Paul Green used a body double because he looked really hot, but it's not free and honestly, I know it's a show I wouldn't watch anyway.  I have started to watch When Calls The Heart, something I would not have even considered a year ago but it's covid and I'm newly retired and I am not apologizing for wasting my time watching handsome men act in stupid shows.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I have started to watch When Calls The Heart, something I would not have even considered a year ago but it's covid

I'm still peeved that I can't locate WCTH season 6 & 7 yet.  I watched the first 5 on Netflix and then... nothing.  I marathoned it last summer when there was little else on and I'd really like to see the last two before season 8 shows up.  

6 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I'm still peeved that I can't locate WCTH season 6 & 7 yet.  I watched the first 5 on Netflix and then... nothing.  I marathoned it last summer when there was little else on and I'd really like to see the last two before season 8 shows up.  

During the holidays, they announced WCTH S7 was going to be available exclusively on the app.  No idea what happened to S6, though.

31 minutes ago, JenMD said:

During the holidays, they announced WCTH S7 was going to be available exclusively on the app.  No idea what happened to S6, though.

I'd actually sign up (at least temporarily) if they had all the missing episodes on the app.  

2 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:
On 1/18/2021 at 12:54 PM, ctlady said:

And it was nice to see Barbara Niven in a role other than Hannah's nosy, annoying, mother on Murder, She Baked

If you're a fan of hers I recommend Chesapeake Shores.  It's cozy and fluffy and she has a prominent role in it.

Oh, I'm a Chessie (not sure if that show is coming back).  I really like her in that - and also some older Lifetime Movies where she had really short hair.  She's a very beautiful woman, but her role on MSB is just awful

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

Oh, I'm a Chessie (not sure if that show is coming back).  I really like her in that - and also some older Lifetime Movies where she had really short hair.  She's a very beautiful woman, but her role on MSB is just awful

My fellow Chessie!  It is coming back, this summer, Jesse Metcalfe tweeted about it.  I don't think it has much longer to go, maybe a season or two, but then again, this is Hallmark, so you never know.  

• Love 1

I saw Winter Getaway tonight. There were parts of it I really liked- the travel concierge concept, an Indian- Canadian woman in a lead role (yay!!), the winter activities, and the male lead was handsome (I liked his smile). But sometimes things felt wooden, and I know they are filming with Covid-19 restrictions so that’s why all the scenes were so small, but I thought the movie would’ve benefited from a sub plot.

Also why was this movie so poorly lit??? Y’all know I hate when they don’t light brown people properly in these films but all of the scenes (except for the ones where they were supposed to be outside) were so DIM. 

• Love 3

I'm interested to see thoughts on last night's A Winter Getaway.  To start, I was happy to see new and personable lead actors, whom we haven't already watched falling in love with a dozen other people.  The setting was incredibly beautiful - but I thought for a portion of the film it had become less a story and more a lengthy commercial for Banff.  (I hope and imagine they got a great rate on the use of the hotel &c in exchange for all that footage.)

A review over on imdb remarked, and I imagine everyone noticed, that in the couple's final conversation, there was a song in the 'background' which was so loud it literally drowned them out.  Very distracting.  

And finally, was that kiss at the end the worst kiss ever?  Very odd

But, very pleasant overall -- not a cliched story, and good new people.  

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Chippings said:

I'm interested to see thoughts on last night's A Winter Getaway.  To start, I was happy to see new and personable lead actors, whom we haven't already watched falling in love with a dozen other people.  The setting was incredibly beautiful - but I thought for a portion of the film it had become less a story and more a lengthy commercial for Banff.  (I hope and imagine they got a great rate on the use of the hotel &c in exchange for all that footage.)

I thought it started out quite strong.  It was fun and light hearted--even the writing was charming.

But it definitely lost something the longer it went on.  I don't know if it was because it was a commercial for Banff (if so, well done) or if it's an hour long story dragged out for two hours but it faded. 

Overall, though, I don't regret watching.  I liked the stars and the scenery was incredible. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

But it definitely lost something the longer it went on.  I don't know if it was because it was a commercial for Banff (if so, well done) or if it's an hour long story dragged out for two hours but it faded. 

When the story has to rely on the scenery, that's kind of pitiful writing.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I saw Winter Getaway tonight. There were parts of it I really liked- the travel concierge concept, an Indian- Canadian woman in a lead role (yay!!), the winter activities, and the male lead was handsome (I liked his smile). But sometimes things felt wooden, and I know they are filming with Covid-19 restrictions so that’s why all the scenes were so small, but I thought the movie would’ve benefited from a sub plot.

Also why was this movie so poorly lit??? Y’all know I hate when they don’t light brown people properly in these films but all of the scenes (except for the ones where they were supposed to be outside) were so DIM. 

I agree, the indoor scenes are extremely dim.  But overall I enjoyed it.  

A minor nitpick if I may, though.  I thought they should have had him pronounce 'Cache' correctly when they were on the plane given he's supposedly in tech himself. I thought maybe it's the way Canadians pronounce it but they're both supposed to be US citizens, so no.

And I was also wondering if the English speaking side of Canada really pronounces Poutine that way?  Living a quarter mile from Canada, I've had it drilled into my head by my Quebecois friends that it's pronounced "pu'tsin."  But that difference would make some sense anyway given the differences in languages.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Callietwo said:

I agree, the indoor scenes are extremely dim.  But overall I enjoyed it.  

A minor nitpick if I may, though.  I thought they should have had him pronounce 'Cache' correctly when they were on the plane given he's supposedly in tech himself. I thought maybe it's the way Canadians pronounce it but they're both supposed to be US citizens, so no.

And I was also wondering if the English speaking side of Canada really pronounces Poutine that way?  Living a quarter mile from Canada, I've had it drilled into my head by my Quebecois friends that it's pronounced "pu'tsin."  But that difference would make some sense anyway given the differences in languages.  

I didn't see the movie to listen to the prounounciation, but a good friend is from Saint John, NB, and he and his family have always pronounced it as "pou-teen," if that's any help.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I didn't see the movie to listen to the prounounciation, but a good friend is from Saint John, NB, and he and his family have always pronounced it as "pou-teen," if that's any help.

That is how they pronounced it, so I'll chalk that up to the difference between the French/Canadian side vs the English speaking side then 🙂 

Edited by Callietwo
18 minutes ago, kirinan said:

14 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

That is how they pronounced it, so I'll chalk that up to the difference between the French/Canadian side vs the English speaking side then 🙂 

Yes that’s how I’ve always heard it pronounced. 

2 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I lived in Montreal for years and never heard it pronounced that way.  I just checked with my DIL who is French Canadian and she says it's typically pronounced the same way you'd say Vladimir Putin - but a lot of people do add an 's' with their 't'.  Doesn't make that the correct way to say it though.  I so do not miss living in Quebec where there is always an argument raging about language and always a self appointed member of the language police (Office québécois de la langue française) out there ready to correct you!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I lived in Montreal for years and never heard it pronounced that way.  I just checked with my DIL who is French Canadian and she says it's typically pronounced the same way you'd say Vladimir Putin - but a lot of people do add an 's' with their 't'.  Doesn't make that the correct way to say it though.  I so do not miss living in Quebec where there is always an argument raging about language and always a self appointed member of the language police (Office québécois de la langue française) out there ready to correct you!

They pronounced more like "pooh -teen" to my ear in the movie.  And yes, the situation with the language police in Quebec is wild!  We listen to CJAD radio a lot and they talk about that situation often.  It's fascinating how up in arms they get about it.  I'm surprised that CJAD can broadcast in english. 

5 hours ago, Chippings said:

but I thought for a portion of the film it had become less a story and more a lengthy commercial for Banff.

And they sold it well, I want to go!  I never even considered that rich people would have this kind of concierge planner but d'oh... Of course they do.  I will add this kind of trip to my To Do List for when I become rich.  😛  They really showcased the winter wonderland there beautifully.  

1 hour ago, Callietwo said:

We listen to CJAD radio a lot and they talk about that situation often.

I grew up listening to CJAD.  George Balcan and Andy Barrie were part of the family!  And of course it wasn't Christmas if we didn't hear Paul Reid's Christmas!  I've never listened to any radio station since where I could tell you the names of all the on air personalities!

On topic I just finished watching Falling for Look Lodge and definitely have mixed feelings.  It was good to see some diversity in the cast and the acting, overall, was pretty good.  The story though was fairly thin and the two main guys (the lead and the fiancé of the sister)  were just not leading men material.  I hate to sound shallow but if they can go to the trouble of casting attractive young women why do they not get good looking guys?

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 3

So A Winters Getaway I found above average but why did he have to lie about who he was... if the trip was paid for who cares, his friend gave him the trip??? Or maybe I missed a something.... I did like the scenery although you would think they would have skied more than once.......😀

• Love 1
13 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I grew up listening to CJAD.  George Balcan and Andy Barrie were part of the family!  And of course it wasn't Christmas if we didn't hear Paul Reid's Christmas!  I've never listened to any radio station since where I could tell you the names of all the on air personalities!

You can stream the station if you wanted.  We stream it all the time on our Amazon Echo!

6 hours ago, Infiltr8 said:

So A Winters Getaway I found above average but why did he have to lie about who he was... if the trip was paid for who cares, his friend gave him the trip??? Or maybe I missed a something.... I did like the scenery although you would think they would have skied more than once.......😀

Especially since he went to the trouble of bringing his own snowboard on the trip.  I did like the dog sledding adventure they took, though.  It looked like a lot of fun.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Callietwo said:

But sometimes things felt wooden, and I know they are filming with Covid-19 restrictions so that’s why all the scenes were so small, but I thought the movie would’ve benefited from a sub plot.

I noticed that there was no sub-plot too.  There were peripheral characters but they had no dramas going on.  What about the woman in Fiji?  Why couldn't the billionaire best friend and his wife take the trip themselves? What about a romance between the hotel concierge and Chef Andre? I kept waiting for something else to develop, but it never did. 

BTW - After the dog sled adventure Mr. ShelleySue said, "When this COVID thing is over, let's go to Banff."

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Infiltr8 said:

Maybe he thinks he'd get better treatment if people think he's a billionaire.  And he didn't really set out to lie; he just never clarified and actually didn't expect people to mistake him for the owner.

Although I did think it weird that the company never bothered to Google the names of the clients to learn what they could, especially since the activities hadn't been set yet. 

• Love 1

Sorry to bring this up again, but here is my take as a Canadian (SW Ontario, 725 km or 450 miles from Quebec.)  Most Canadians pronounce poutine as 'poo-teen' as that would be the Anglicized pronunciation, likely what you would hear in Banff, Alberta.  The French way is 'poo-tin' and often, the 't' is pronounced in such a way that it sounds like it is followed by an 's' (poot-sin.)  Many Canadians are bilingual or just pronounce French words in the French way so it is common to hear the French pronunciation as well.  Similar to how the province of Quebec is pronounced Ke-bec as opposed to Que-bec.

And Banff is as beautiful in real life as in the movie.  Hope to see you all there next year!

• Love 2

Seems like The Good Doctor is becoming more and more like a Hallmark Channel reunion. Every week there’s an actor that I’ve seen regularly on a Hallmark movie. This week it was Kristoffer Polaha. I wonder if the casting directors of both have something in common.

• Love 2