Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, gutbuster said:

I liked Cross Country Christmas enough after we got through the nonsense at the airport and train station... Everything in this movie was really implausible, and a bit stupid, not to mention real-world dangerous. But there were a few nice moments and my standards are dropping rapidly that a couple of cute moments are making up for the remaining hour and fifty-five minutes I spent watching

So true, my friend. So true. I haven't dived into the streaming movies yet, so I'm hoping when I do that on my days off this week, they're better. I think the Lifetime ones have been very uneven, but a few have been pretty good.

• Love 1

I just mentioned to my son that I've been watching Christmas movies since Thanksgiving week and I'm still not sick of them shockingly.  I can't tell you names or actors, etc. but I remember some of the plots.

I go from regular TV to DVR to Netflix to Amazon Prime to Disney Plus.  I've watched movies, episodes of shows, temporary Christmas shows on Netflix like Home for Christmas.  

I did say next week we'll go back to regularly scheduled binge watching while waiting for Cobra Kai.

P.S. I've been listening to Christmas music since October.  lol

P.S.S.  I retired at the end of January..just in time for the Covid lockdown.  I've watched more TV in this time than in my whole life!!!!

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 6
58 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

P.S.S.  I retired at the end of January..just in time for the Covid lockdown.  I've watched more TV in this time than in my whole life!!!!

I retired in 2015  but I'm right there with you since Covid.  All of my volunteer activites were cancelled so I have done tons of marathons of documentaries and British series. 

I can only do so much Hallmark before my eyes roll out of my head though.  Lather, rinse, repeat is apparently the Hallmark motto.  

• Love 1

Well, I guess if we didn't know the age group of this thread before, we do now.  I too retired just this past summer.  My plan was to have a 'fun' part-time job by now, but since that has not happened I have gone from totally dismissing Hallmark movies, to watching them and yelling at the tv for the stupid misunderstandings and implausible storylines, to really getting hooked on a couple of the actors and now I'm just so weary of all of it.  It hasn't helped that not many of this year's movies has been particularly watchable.  I guess I'm glad it's almost over and we can start in on Valentines/spring themed movies before moving on to wedding season, summer, harvest and full circle back to Christmas.  

I have just realized that there is someone named Jill Wagner and someone named Tricia Helfer and both are Hallmark actresses and after looking at 100 pictures I still can't tell them apart so I'm not convinced they aren't the same person.

Edited by bankerchick
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I have just realized that there is someone named Jill Wagner and someone named Tricia Helfer and both are Hallmark actresses and after looking at 100 pictures I still can't tell them apart so I'm not convinced they aren't the same person.

Tricia Helfer's mouth is huge for her face.. when I first noticed how similar they looked, it was TH's mouth that helped me tell them apart.  I've watched so many HMM's now that I no longer mix them up.  I also find that Jill is a bit of a better, more subtle actress where as TH tends of nibble a bit too much at the edges of the scenery.

• LOL 2

Thanks, Callietwo. I also noticed the mouth size.  I know I said some unflattering things about Jill Wagner upthread, and I stick by those comments vis a vis The Angel Tree which I had been watching at the time I commented but maybe some of the other bad roles I remembered were the other woman.  I will have to make a note of which one it is that causes me to automatically opt out next time either of them is on.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bankerchick said:

Thanks, Callietwo. I also noticed the mouth size.  I know I said some unflattering things about Jill Wagner upthread, and I stick by those comments vis a vis The Angel Tree which I had been watching at the time I commented but maybe some of the other bad roles I remembered were the other woman.  I will have to make a note of which one it is that causes me to automatically opt out next time either of them is on.

I like Jill W in her mystery 101 movies and in some of her other movies but the Angel Tree was horrible and she looked terrible... I mean, yeah she was puffy from just having had a baby, but it was just a really a bad wardrobe that did her exactly zero favors and add in a bad script and it was a total snoozer.  

Her last mystery 101 movie, she was pretty far along and they managed to dress her in flattering outfits so it was too bad.  

But the movie itself was just a boring script and I don't think anyone could have made it better. 

• Love 2

Turner Classic Movies is running THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT this afternoon!  Bittersweet, charming, just wonderful.  I'm sure it's a favorite of many Baby Boomers, including myself, here on this board. 

If anyone hasn't seen this lovely film, please do.  You will experience genuine human emotion -- laughter and tears.  (and won't that be a change of pace from Hallmark, lol?)

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, absnow54 said:

With the commercial free marathon of 2020 movies coming up, what are this year's must watch movies? I've been mostly underwhelmed, but I've also missed a lot of them.

I've skipped a lot of them because I know they'd bore me to tears or the leads were unappealing to me but the few on my watchlist that I finally watched, I enjoyed:

Christmas Comes Twice: The time travel aspect was a bit flimsy but like someone mentioned on another site, it was a love letter to science and a love letter to teachers who inspire. Loved seeing one of my faves Sheryl Lee Ralph as a brainy science teacher and Tamera did well, too. The bickering was a lil eh.

The Christmas Bow: Loved this one. So sweet and sentimental without overdoing it to schmaltz. The lead actress was so natural. I know she's a classically trained violinist but her acting was comforting with Rady. Fun fact, Kristopher Polaha revealed on the guys' podcast that this was to be his movie this year but he had to bow out either for a prior engagement. He suggest Michael Rady and I think he was right.

Glenbrooke Christmas: I just liked seeing Autumn and Antonio again and it was nice seeing Antonio play something other than a stuffy suit.

Deliver By Christmas: Loved Loved this one! One of the stronger movies Hallmark came out the gate with earlier this year. It reminded me of one of my faves, You've Got Mail, and it was such a joy to watch over and over again. Yummy cookie talk and adorable chemistry between the leads.

Jingle Bell Bride: Another pleasant one to watch with likeable leads and location.

One Royal Holiday: I loved the secondary couple. So much chemistry and cuteness that I wish they would have a spinoff movie or story of some sort. Plus the security dude was hotter than the main dude.

Five Star Christmas: This was a funny one. Though I could see the mystery reveal super soon in the movie, I liked the hijinks the family got themselves into. And Bethany Joy doing comedy always entertains in our house. 

A huge drawn out move has been keeping me busy for weeks now so watching some of these movies have eased the tension and stress but not many have stood out like others in the years past. I've found myself watching old faves from Hallmark, Lifetime, Netflix and saved movies. Even Lifetime this year has been sparse on my faves list (I did love The Christmas Edition and Too Close For Christmas though I liked A Very Charming Christmas TownChristmas Ever After, and The Christmas Exchange despite some annoyances) though I still find them a tad stronger than main channel Hallmark.

I just wish they would cool it on the bickering couples this year because there's a thin line (in tv rom dram land) between playful banter and angry clashing. In the end, it makes it hard to believe the couple would want anything to do with each other much less kiss and live happily ever after. It felt like both Lifetime and Hallmark overdosed on that trope this year. 

• Love 4

I agree 100%, MissyPoo.  It is unbelievable that a handsome, interesting man is either so desperate or so intrigued that he would not run for the hills after having someone snap his head off because she ran into him and dropped her packages which he offered to help pick up, or he merely offered a ride or he wasn't into selling his family owned ranch to a developer who is going to tear it down for condos.  A little conflict is good, a raging bitch is not what anyone wants to tame.  And if someone only hears half a sentence, or sees what may be an innocent embrace and immediately decides all the flirting that happened up to that point means nothing and now they are going back to the city, imagine what being married to that person would be like.

I really liked Christmas by Starlight.  Though loaded with ridiculous tropes (let's plan a $1000/plate gala to happen in 4 days during Christmas week and feed them from a food truck) it features Kimberly Sustad and Paul Campbell.  He is my new crush because his characters seem more real.  He comes across as a little jaded and always seems vulnerable.  Plus, they seem like a couple who would have fun together, even if they disagree sometimes.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, bankerchick said:

OMG - until I read this it didn't occur to me there's a resemblance between these two...but the reason I don't confuse them is because:

1) TH tends to play blondes, while JW portrays brunettes; and

2) I watched TH in both Battlestar Galactica and Lucifer so she's not "new" to me

@MissyPoo  wow - I am in awe of your post!  I can barely remember the titles of the holiday movies I've watched, yet not only do you recall the titles, you can also recite the plot!!!  For me, it's mostly "watch it, then forget it".

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 2
On 12/18/2020 at 2:46 PM, norcalgal said:

I view Taylor Cole is the most gorgeous woman in the Christmas holiday movie pantheon on any channel. Doesn't mean I think she's a great actress, just the most photogenic  (Jill Wager is 2nd in my eyes).

Taylor Cole is hot, I don't disagree, but I saw her play a lot of villains on shows in the early 2000s so she always comes off a little sinister to me.  I will admit I have a soft spot for Danica McKeller because of the Wonder Years and she really reminds me of a friend (a very un-Hallmark-like friend).  And I've always liked Lindy Booth and Kimberly Sustad.

On 12/20/2020 at 3:25 PM, Bronx Babe said:

What stupid kingdom name did they come up with for CHRISTMAS CAROUSEL?

It was Ancadia (??).  I didn't even watch it, but it's the first ad they would show in every other movie.  Before I could skip through them it started with "You're the Prince of Ancadia!"  Still not sure where Ancadia fits on the Atlas of tiny European kingdoms with high Christmas Spirit®

And finally someone on the Hallmark production staff really needs to learn what mistletoe looks like.  I've seen enough movies this year where before the big kiss, the couple gazing lovingly into each other's eyes and then one looks up to see...a random bunch of greenery, one movie had one with red berries! (???)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I don't believe Jill Wagner has ever played an evil robot or the devil's mother, so that helps differentiate them, to me at least. And writing that out makes me wonder how Tricia Helfer even ended up in Hallmark-land to begin with...

I watched the Lindy Booth/Justin Bruening one last night (I don't even bother learning the titles) and was pleasantly surprised. Still chock full o' tropes, of course, but better than I expected. I always like Lindy Booth, and Justin Bruening has actually improved from his days on All My Children. Also, that star ornament was gorgeous.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 5

I think my patience has run its course with this season's Hallmark movies, because both Christmas Carousel and Swept up by Christmas kinda bored me, despite usually liking both lead couples.

Christmas Carousel should have been called Every usual trope from the usual Royal Christmas movies + a carousel, feat. bad accents, and that's about all I have to say about it, since it was generic AF. For some reason, though, Rachel Boston's make-up artist seemed missing for half the movie, or maybe they were aiming for a natural, tired look, who knows.

Same goes for Swept up by Christmas' Lindy Booth, who also seemed to have lost some weight, which didn't help in some scenes. Then again, Bruening looked a little tired, too, and their characters were supposed to be working non-stop to prep the house, so it kinda worked for this, I guess... As for the story, eh. Nothing particularly memorable, neither good, nor bad, just there. I liked the supporting couple of wheelchair dude & barista/caterer, maybe the movie should have featured them more.

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Kaoteek said:

Same goes for Swept up by Christmas' Lindy Booth, who also seemed to have lost some weight, which didn't help in some scenes. Then again, Bruening looked a little tired, too, and their characters were supposed to be working non-stop to prep the house, so it kinda worked for this, I guess... As for the story, eh. Nothing particularly memorable, neither good, nor bad, just there. I liked the supporting couple of wheelchair dude & barista, maybe the movie should have featured them more.

I'm waiting for a movie to focus on the best friend characters, sort of a Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead take on Christmas movies.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I agree 100%, MissyPoo.  It is unbelievable that a handsome, interesting man is either so desperate or so intrigued that he would not run for the hills after having someone snap his head off because she ran into him and dropped her packages which he offered to help pick up, or he merely offered a ride or he wasn't into selling his family owned ranch to a developer who is going to tear it down for condos.  A little conflict is good, a raging bitch is not what anyone wants to tame.  And if someone only hears half a sentence, or sees what may be an innocent embrace and immediately decides all the flirting that happened up to that point means nothing and now they are going back to the city, imagine what being married to that person would be like.

So very true! I've read a heapful of romance books in my time and this seems to be a thing as well. The more ragey the heroine is the more the guy falls in love with her but on the screen (and especially in this day and age), it just doesn't translate well. I'm sure they could write a strong heroine without having her bite people's heads off for sport. Pumpkin Pie Wars (one of my all time Hallmark faves) did this well where each of the leads stopped before they got too clashy (to the point the movie even lampshades it with one of the other contestants). Even in Winter Wonderland, but then again Paul Campbell is just too adorable and hilarious so the banter there was like the old rom coms of the 30s. Another of my faves. :-)

21 hours ago, norcalgal said:

@MissyPoo  wow - I am in awe of your post!  I can barely remember the titles of the holiday movies I've watched, yet not only do you recall the titles, you can also recite the plot!!!  For me, it's mostly "watch it, then forget it".

Lol I have to admit, I had to look up a few since some slipped my mind. I used to be able to name all the movies that came out that year because I watched them back to back but the past few years, the quality has gone downhill so I only pick and choose the ones I know I'd like. Most of the ones for me this year that I just checked out off my list have left my memory that when I went to make my list, I was like "Oh yeah, I did see that one."  It's getting more difficult since the plots and titles are becoming interchangeable, bleh! 

I know I'll be disappointed when I look for Tamera's 2020 movie in the future because that one will forever be Christmas Carousel in my mind (while CCBs movie sticks as If I Only Had A Christmas Brain in my mind).

On 12/21/2020 at 7:59 PM, bankerchick said:

21 hours ago, norcalgal said:

2) I watched TH in both Battlestar Galactica and Lucifer so she's not "new" to me

13 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

I don't believe Jill Wagner has ever played an evil robot or the devil's mother, so that helps differentiate them, to me at least. And writing that out makes me wonder how Tricia Helfer even ended up in Hallmark-land to begin with...

Same here. I remember Tricia H from Galactica so it was a surprise she ended up Hallmark (same with Jason Lee from Kevin Smith movie fame and Mia Kirshner who usually plays in some explicit stuff). But I figure, they must be Canadian so Hallmark is a natural and easy paycheck for them. I do think Hallmark missed a huge opportunity in casting them as sisters in a movie. They could have been sisters in that Trading Christmas knock-off movie Tricia was in years ago. Finding Chistmas, I think it was???

Or something more appealing. Two sisters, tired of the run of the mill local holiday atmosphere and same ol' traditions decide to depart for the season and go off on a destination of their choosing to pursue adventure and their dreams that have been put on hold while checking in with each other during the time. They find love, heartbreak, new career opportunities, and possible romance. I'd watch it if it didn't diverge into a mishmash of holiday check-off tropes.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Sounds like a great movie, but I couldn't watch if it was those two actresses.  How about Kimberly Sustad and Arielle Kebbel as sisters, and they meet Paul Campbell and Andrew Walker?  I would watch that on a loop.

Just a little nitpick.  It's actually Window Wonderland, not Winter Wonderland.  Yes, I know this because I have watched it on demand twice in the last few weeks, and would recommend anyone else do the same (well, once anyway.)  Lots of good natured banter, an unsuitable current boyfriend, and no stupid bitchiness or misunderstandings.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

Sounds like a great movie, but I couldn't watch if it was those two actresses.  How about Kimberly Sustad and Arielle Kebbel as sisters, and they meet Paul Campbell and Andrew Walker?  I would watch that on a loop.

I think Kimberly & Arielle did play sisters already. IIRC, it was a holiday movie from years ago where Arielle's character had multiple fiances but never actually married them, then Andrew's character makes a bet with a friend (?) to get Arielle to marry him around Christmas time. That was my first encounter with A&A and that's how they became one of my Must See couples.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Lugal said:

Taylor Cole is hot, I don't disagree, but I saw her play a lot of villains on shows in the early 2000s so she always comes off a little sinister to me.  I will admit I have a soft spot for Danica McKeller because of the Wonder Years and she really reminds me of a friend (a very un-Hallmark-like friend).  And I've always liked Lindy Booth and Kimberly Sustad.

It was Ancadia (??).  I didn't even watch it, but it's the first ad they would show in every other movie.  Before I could skip through them it started with "You're the Prince of Ancadia!"  Still not sure where Ancadia fits on the Atlas of tiny European kingdoms with high Christmas Spirit®

And finally someone on the Hallmark production staff really needs to learn what mistletoe looks like.  I've seen enough movies this year where before the big kiss, the couple gazing lovingly into each other's eyes and then one looks up to see...a random bunch of greenery, one movie had one with red berries! (???)

The red berries are in holly not mistletoe. Clearly that production staff were confused.

Now that I'm caught up with all of the movies I have some observations.

1. As I scroll through the comments and read the names of the movies I realize that most of the time I can't remember which movies are which.  I know that there must be some Hallmark movie rule that says that during the holidays the words Christmas and Holiday in the title are more important than having a meaningful title, but titles like Chateau Christmas, Heart of the Holidays, Meet Me at Christmas, or Deliver at Christmas aren't going to help me remember the plot next year when I see the title in a listing.

2. When I first started watching the current crop of movies I was hoping for escapism.  I consider myself a holiday movie afficiendado and that's how I normally see these movies but this year I thought I needed it even more.  But it's actually backfired.   I just want to go back to a time when we can walk into stores and hug each other.  I want to go to restaurants and get on airplanes. These movies made me miss those times even more. I'm not trying to say anything politically -- I just want want all of us to be healthy and for this to be over.    Speaking of which, I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

3. I know that this is a Hallmark group, but just like two years ago when Lifetime's Christmas Contract was my favorite movie of the season, my favorite movie of this season was a Lifetime movie - A Christmas Exchange.  My favorite Hallmark movie was A Glenbrooke Christmas, not because it was a great movie but because it was wonderful seeing Autumn Reeser and Antonio Cupo together again.  I really wish that there had been more sparks (pun intended) between them but this has been such a strange year that I'm going easy on on my judgment.

4. I have very mixed feelings about Love, Lights, Hanukkah.  First of all, I speak only for myself and not for any other Jewish person.  It was much better than any of the other previous Chanukah (that's how I've always spelled it) movies.  It wasn't insulting like another one.  But there were things that could have used some tweaking.  I'll leave it at that.

5.  I'm curious to know what people thought about the diversity this year.  Did it seem to be honest or gratuitous to you? I'm wondering if it seemed almost formulaic, like every movie had to have one biracial couple, one gay couple, etc. or if that was a sincerely appreciated.  I used to work in public health and we tried to be inclusive and we frequently were accused of pandering so I'm never sure of where the line is drawn.  That actually ties in with #4 above in which case I think that Hallmark was well meaning.

4 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Just a little nitpick.  It's actually Window Wonderland, not Winter Wonderland.  Yes, I know this because I have watched it on demand twice in the last few weeks, and would recommend anyone else do the same (well, once anyway.)  Lots of good natured banter, an unsuitable current boyfriend, and no stupid bitchiness or misunderstandings.

I love that one. I keep thinking of signing up for Hallmark Movies Now just to be able to see it. I have so many on my DVR and have watched a bunch of oldies on demand and on Prime. Maybe I will wait and watch it in February as a little pick me up.

3 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

5.  I'm curious to know what people thought about the diversity this year.  Did it seem to be honest or gratuitous to you? I'm wondering if it seemed almost formulaic, like every movie had to have one biracial couple, one gay couple, etc. or if that was a sincerely appreciated.  I used to work in public health and we tried to be inclusive and we frequently were accused of pandering so I'm never sure of where the line is drawn.  That actually ties in with #4 above in which case I think that Hallmark was well meaning.

We kinda had that debate early on, in November (I think ?), when it felt (to me & to some) like Hallmark overcompensated their usual lack of diversity by frontloading their season with their most obvious diversity movies, to get some early positive buzz. I wasn't too convinced by that approach, but others felt it was just a case of a lose/lose scenario for Hallmark, where they usually got criticised for their lack of diversity, and now, when they try to fix this situation, they get criticized for making it so obvious in contrast.

I'm not sure where I stand right now on the issue. Especially since the early rush of diverse movies quickly got replaced by the usual faces in the usual pairings in the usual scenarios, with an occasional token disabled/lgbt/ethnic supporting character and/or couple.

Anyway, at least they tried, and they incurred the wrath of their most bigoted crowd... but I wasn't necessarily convinced by the way they went about it.

(and despite an overall very mediocre season, I think Lifetime got them beat on the diversity x quality front, with a couple of those Lifetime movies that really are on top of my list, ie Sugar & Spice, Christmas Setup...)

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 2

Cross Country Christmas was a Hallmark version of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.  It was OK.  The original was hilarious.

I really liked USS Christmas.     My son is an active duty sailor so I love Navy movies.  And the tall blond leading man is much better looking than most Hallmark leading men, who mostly look like bland Ken dolls.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, susannot said:

Cross Country Christmas was a Hallmark version of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.  It was OK.  The original was hilarious.

I really liked USS Christmas.     My son is an active duty sailor so I love Navy movies.  And the tall blond leading man is much better looking than most Hallmark leading men, who mostly look like bland Ken dolls.

I'll second "USS Christmas"...a different premise than most of the movies, I like Jen Lilley & yes, the young man who played the aviator was very handsome & believable as a military type guy. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

5.  I'm curious to know what people thought about the diversity this year.  Did it seem to be honest or gratuitous to you? I'm wondering if it seemed almost formulaic, like every movie had to have one biracial couple, one gay couple, etc. or if that was a sincerely appreciated.  I used to work in public health and we tried to be inclusive and we frequently were accused of pandering so I'm never sure of where the line is drawn. 

As @Kaoteek mentioned, we had a similar discussion earlier in the season.  I'll see if I can go back and find it.  

I found it.  It starts on this page.

I guess it depends on what you mean by gratuitous.  Gratuitous means unwarranted or unnecessary and in that case, I'd say that the overwhelming straight whiteness was pretty gratuitous even when they'd go on their Facebook claiming that diversity mattered when people would complain about their lack of diversity.  They knew there was an audience out there for more variety. 

It took a new head of Crown Media to actually do that.  I think it led for some movies with plots that were a little different than normal.  We also saw some new faces star in these movies.  Overall, I think it was a net positive. 

It may have been a little jarring because of what we're used to seeing on Hallmark but I don't think it's too much.  And as it has been pointed out, they front loaded so many of the movies that had diversity. 

As for the quality of the movies.  Overall, I think Hallmark did better than it has in years and was better than Lifetime which had a ridiculous amount of stinkers.  Not just boring but just plain awful.  At the very least, all of Hallmark's movies came off as professional.  But the "best" movie in terms of script, acting chemistry and just professional was from Lifetime with Sugar & Spice.  I also really liked The Christmas Set Up and surprisingly, Feliz NaviDAD

But as for Hallmark,

On 12/22/2020 at 5:06 AM, MissyPoo said:

Christmas Comes Twice: The time travel aspect was a bit flimsy but like someone mentioned on another site, it was a love letter to science and a love letter to teachers who inspire. Loved seeing one of my faves Sheryl Lee Ralph as a brainy science teacher and Tamera did well, too. The bickering was a lil eh.

That was me!

And I completely agree with your list with the exception of One Royal Holiday. Good leads but royal movies aren't my thing and this didn't pull me in.

I would add On The 12th Date of Christmas. There was some snarky bickering but I think he was more at fault and the script was pretty fun.  Plus, the characters were a little more well rounded and they had good chemistry.

Christmas By Starlight has those same attributes. 

In fact, those are the two, along with Delivery By Christmas, whose titles I immediately know and know I'd want to rewatch them.

Some others that might be a little lower tier but were still enjoyable include The Christmas Waltz with Lacey Chabert.  Again, she and her co-star had some great chemistry and he's a terrific dancer.  All the music added to the movie.

And I also liked Cranberry Lane.  I liked that it was about a married couple trying to figure out who they were as a couple rather than a "will they/won't they get together" kind of situation. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I'm curious to know what people thought about the diversity this year.  Did it seem to be honest or gratuitous to you? I'm wondering if it seemed almost formulaic, like every movie had to have one biracial couple, one gay couple, etc. or if that was a sincerely appreciated.  I used to work in public health and we tried to be inclusive and we frequently were accused of pandering so I'm never sure of where the line is drawn.  That actually ties in with #4 above in which case I think that Hallmark was well meaning.

12 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

We kinda had that debate early on, in November (I think ?), when it felt (to me & to some) like Hallmark overcompensated their usual lack of diversity by frontloading their season with their most obvious diversity movies, to get some early positive buzz. I wasn't too convinced by that approach, but others felt it was just a case of a lose/lose scenario for Hallmark, where they usually got criticised for their lack of diversity, and now, when they try to fix this situation, they get criticized for making it so obvious in contrast.

I'm not sure where I stand right now on the issue. Especially since the early rush of diverse movies quickly got replaced by the usual faces in the usual pairings in the usual scenarios, with an occasional token disabled/lgbt/ethnic supporting character and/or couple.

Anyway, at least they tried, and they incurred the wrath of their most bigoted crowd... but I wasn't necessarily convinced by the way they went about it.

(and despite an overall very mediocre season, I think Lifetime got them beat on the diversity x quality front, with a couple of those Lifetime movies that really are on top of my list, ie Sugar & Spice, Christmas Setup...)

8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I guess it depends on what you mean by gratuitous.  Gratuitous means unwarranted or unnecessary and in that case, I'd say that the overwhelming straight whiteness was pretty gratuitous even when they'd go on their Facebook claiming that diversity mattered when people would complain about their lack of diversity.  They knew there was an audience out there for more variety. 

It took a new head of Crown Media to actually do that.  I think it led for some movies with plots that were a little different than normal.  We also saw some new faces star in these movies.  Overall, I think it was a net positive. 

It may have been a little jarring because of what we're used to seeing on Hallmark but I don't think it's too much.  And as it has been pointed out, they front loaded so many of the movies that had diversity. 

As for the quality of the movies.  Overall, I think Hallmark did better than it has in years and was better than Lifetime which had a ridiculous amount of stinkers.  Not just boring but just plain awful.  At the very least, all of Hallmark's movies came off as professional.  But the "best" movie in terms of script, acting chemistry and just professional was from Lifetime with Sugar & Spice.  I also really liked The Christmas Set Up and surprisingly, Feliz NaviDAD

For me, I suppose I feel a little cynical about all the diversity we got this year because it seemed crammed in (at least on Hallmark).  Compare to Lifetime where they had diversity for a few years now, so it didn't seem like shouting:  "Hey look at us and how diverse we are!"

Of course, having said this, I still would rather they have a diverse cast (and please if there be gods - diverse storylines!) than not have them. Hopefully, from now on, any channel airing holiday movies will be diverse as a matter of course to the point where it doesn't stand out so that the audience goes:  "Wow - this movie has biracial romance/LGBTQ main characters/lead character with mental or physical challenges/etc."

I'm with @Irlandesa in feeling gratified to see new faces in these movies. [Special shout out to Kat Graham who portrayed my fave character on the Vampire Diaries *and* her holiday movie took place on Guam, where I grew up!]

I also agree that Sugar & Spice was one of the better acted/scripted movies this year, and as I wrote elsewhere, is the only Asian dual lead movie I can recall - on any channel.  Can anyone think of another movie with Asian actors in the leading roles?

• Love 1

Watching The Christmas Doctor.  More movies should be like this.  Holly Robinson-Peete is a very appealing lead, the love interest is smokin' hot and there are no stupid misuderstandings/fake crises.  I didn't see the twist at the end coming the first time I saw it, and am now crying just thinking about it.

• Love 2
On 12/23/2020 at 12:26 PM, Sara2009 said:

The red berries are in holly not mistletoe. Clearly that production staff were confused.

I thought of that too, but it didn't look like holly either.  I still think they just need to learn what mistletoe looks like.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:40 PM, ShelleySue said:

The cynic in me says that they discovered that lgbt people, Jews, and basically everyone besides straight white Christians watch holiday movies too, so there's a market to be tapped there.  I think Hallmark and Croẅn Media (what I think of when I see their logo) are to a certain degree are held back by...let's say a certain small but vocal segment of their audience.  I think the Almighty Dollar will eventually win out, especially when other production companies are getting in on the game.  (Although if they did do a lesbian Christmas movie, they could name their leads Holly and Ivy, which might be their bigger draw).

As to the diversity issue itself, it didn't feel gratuitous as there is still a lot of straight whiteness out there.  As long as it's organic, like "We're telling the the story of these people (who happen to be Asian/gay/Jewish/etc.)" and not "We're telling the story of these Asian/gay/Jewish/etc. people, look how Asian/gay/Jewish/etc. they are."  Sugar & Spice Holiday was the best of the ones I've seen this year.  I'm not Asian, but the story felt organic and to a certain degree, universal.  And they switched up enough of the tropes to keep it interesting.

To take a cue from Sugar & Spice, a good Christmas movie is like a Christmas cookie: pretty and sweet, if a little mass produced.  A bad one is like a bowl of marshmallow fluff: formless and saccharine.

• Love 8

You guys are awesome! Thanks for making Hallmark movies so much more tolerable with all the snark.

I really liked Five Star Christmas. It was funny and I liked the family dynamic. What a nice surprise after so many mediocre ones.

• Love 4

Hate to be the Debbie Downer especially when we so desperately needed this comfort but I thought every new movie was crap,  I could not even name one and tell you the plot aside from the fact that every plot was essentially the same.  I don't think I made it through even one entire movie, flop after flop. 

The tepid try at "diversity" was also a major fail.  Upping the POC quotient from one to a few and making a couple of movies where they are the leads (albeit with all Caucasian friends) is just a weak effort at best.  Thirteen percent of the US population is Black but the casting doesn't come near to that.  And heaven forbid they should include Asian, Hispanic, or Middle Eastern. 

I used to dread the day when Hallmark started back with regular programming.  This year I won't miss their holiday offerings one little bit.

• Love 1

I wouldn't say this year's crop was an undiluted success but there are a few I really liked and some I really enjoyed and can see myself watching again.  Five Star Christmas, On The 12th Date of Christmas,  USS Christmas, Christmas By Starlight,  Love, Lights, Hanukkah, The Christmas Waltz,  and A Timeless Christmas are the first ones that come to mind.  There are a few I haven't seen yet so may have some to add to the list.  The two I really disliked and didn't even finish watching were the new Evergreen one (can't remember the title offhand) and Candy Cane Christmas.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4

Now that the festivities are done and we are officially in 'lockdown' I am using that as an excuse to do the movie marathon and have seen a few that I missed.  I enjoyed Glenbrooke Christmas.  The lead actor will never win an Academy Award but it's the first time I've seen him as a character who doesn't wear a suit and I quite liked him.  I didn't really care for Merry & Bright Christmas (the lead actress was one of the bitchy ones) and since so many others seemed to enjoy Five Star Christmas, I decided to try it again with an open mind to see if I could get past the improbability of it, and especially the control-freak bitchiness of the lead actress.  I really laughed at some of the jokes and the characters but still wanted to yell at the tv when she wouldn't let her family go to the festival.  I quite liked Project Christmas Wish.  Travis Van Winkle is pretty hot.  I will also rewatch USS Christmas and yes, I did watch Christmas at Starlight twice.

Edited by bankerchick

I took a break from Christmas movies and watched The Magic of Ordinary Days. It's so good, especially compared to their current insipid offerings. I wish they'd sprinkle a few Hall of Fame worthy movies in again. I know I am preaching to the choir, but if you've never seen The Magic of Ordinary Days, do yourself a favor and watch it.

It shows up on Hallmark Drama every now and then. I am so glad we finally got that channel this year because I've seen some of their older movies that I've really enjoyed. I only saw a couple of new ones (including the ones on Lifetime) that I would consider watching again next year. That number seems to dwindle every year.

Edited by Valentine
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Valentine said:

I took a break from Christmas movies and watched The Magic of Ordinary Days. It's so good, especially compared to their current insipid offerings. I wish they'd sprinkle a few Hall of Fame worthy movies in again. I know I am preaching to the choir, but if you've never seen The Magic of Ordinary Days, do yourself a favor and watch it.

Is this the one with Keri Russell in the lead role?  If so, (I'm showing my age) but I kept thinking: "hey, it's Felicity!" while watching.

3 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Is this the one with Keri Russell in the lead role?  If so, (I'm showing my age) but I kept thinking: "hey, it's Felicity!" while watching.

Yes.  She wasn't that far off of Felicity when she did that movie.

On 12/16/2020 at 7:27 AM, WinnieWinkle said:

After reading the comments here I wasn't sure about watching Love, Lights, Hanukkah but I'm glad I did.  Really enjoyed it.   Maybe I was just in the right mood for it or something but I found it very touching and, for Hallmark, well done.

I also enjoyed this one. It had a different storyline than usual, and besides the romance a good portion of the movie was about her bonding with her new family. It had a lot of heart, which was lacking in most of the other movies.

I tried Christmas Carousel but after I heard the fake accent, I stopped it and ended up watching Coming Home To Christmas which was so much better. Why did they have to give Neal Bledsoe an accent? Blah.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
On 12/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, norcalgal said:

I think Kimberly & Arielle did play sisters already. IIRC, it was a holiday movie from years ago where Arielle's character had multiple fiances but never actually married them, then Andrew's character makes a bet with a friend (?) to get Arielle to marry him around Christmas time. That was my first encounter with A&A and that's how they became one of my Must See couples.

Bridal Wave (2015)

Love this movie! The love lead actors.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:36 PM, Callietwo said:

This makes me chuckle as in one of his recent movies, he had a brown sweater on and I noticed he had mini-moobs and I thought HA!  He does have a flaw, after all 🙂    The man does have a multitude of blessings.  

I noticed the man boobs too on Wes Brown. I was disappointed as I see him as a real hunk. I guess he doesn't believe in working out in the gym. Many of these Hallmark actors have very defined upper bodies. I always Google images the "actor's name shirtless". Some of them are REAL nice!

• LOL 2
On 12/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, kirinan said:

What did surprise me was that I liked A Little Christmas Charm much better than I thought I would, because I'm not usually a fan of Brendan Penny. It wasn't one I'd necessarily watch again, but I enjoyed it. Can I articulate why I liked it? Not really.

I just saw this one and had the same reaction.  I liked it.  Not entirely sure why, but it was good enough for me to actually pay attention to the screen.  I admit I wasn't impressed when they threw in the usual Big Misunderstanding at the 90 minute mark because I felt the heroine totally overreacted but the movie redeemed itself when they go on to talk about the real reason the writer wanted to bail on doing the story.  Definitely made her reaction much more plausible.  And I cannot believe I just typed plausible in a post about a Hallmark movie!!

• LOL 8