Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

I posted most of my thoughts on the holiday movie thread since it was on Lifetime. But related to the steamy scene, it's definitely up there. There's another similar one from a different older Lifetime movie - I'm blanking on the name right now. The female character was helping a company that goes public and it doesn't go well, she finds a cute Christmas-y town to escape to that her mother had been to (I think), and she lives above and is temporarily in charge of a bookstore, and she starts changing the bookstore. It's a terrible description, I know. But there's a similar scene where the male lead is leaning over her from behind and helping her wash soot off of her hands. 

OMIGOD - yes I totally know what movie you're talking about!!!  I'm also blanking on the name of the movie but the lead actress is now on the Netflix show Virgin River. And you're right - the hand washing scene was also steamy (and they were in a semi-dark room, unlike Sugar & Spice - a well lit kitchen) but still, I think S&S just came across as more sensual to me.  Anyway, it stood out because these sorts of holiday movies have very little UST as a general rule.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

I posted most of my thoughts on the holiday movie thread since it was on Lifetime. But related to the steamy scene, it's definitely up there. There's another similar one from a different older Lifetime movie - I'm blanking on the name right now. The female character was helping a company that goes public and it doesn't go well, she finds a cute Christmas-y town to escape to that her mother had been to (I think), and she lives above and is temporarily in charge of a bookstore, and she starts changing the bookstore. It's a terrible description, I know. But there's a similar scene where the male lead is leaning over her from behind and helping her wash soot off of her hands. 

It's called Christmas Around the Corner with Alexandra Breckinridge. I saw part of it only once and have been hoping for a reshow.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

It was just one the other day--- not sure which channel though, or I'd look up to see if they're re-airing it again this season.  

It is not, at least on my cable options. It's streaming on Direct TV and is available on some other sites at a small cost.

On 12/14/2020 at 3:26 PM, norcalgal said:

This is one of my nitpicks about any of these holiday movies, but I think Hallmark is the main offender:  often, the actor/actress who plays the mom/dad character look as though they're only about 15 years older than the leads.  Either cast the parents age-appropriately, or use makeup so they don't look like an older sibling to the leads.

I thought they got it backwards in Love, Lights, and Hannakuh. Marilu Henner was born in 1952 and her character was supposed to have had Christina when she was 19 or 20. And while Mia Kirshner is in her 40s, she seemed to be playing younger. But I guess they specifically didn't mention the year Christina was born to keep to vague. 

Yes, Christmas Around the Corner had that chemistry filled scene and haven’t seen another one like it for a while. Thanks for the heads up that it’s on demand!

Anyone catch Christmas Comes Twice this past weekend? Wondering if I should attempt to watch it. I’m also looking forward to the Christmas Carousel movie this weekend because I enjoy both leads, so I’m sure the storyline will somehow let me down.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

After reading the comments here I wasn't sure about watching Love, Lights, Hanukkah but I'm glad I did.  Really enjoyed it.   Maybe I was just in the right mood for it or something but I found it very touching and, for Hallmark, well done.

• Love 3
On 12/5/2020 at 7:07 PM, bankerchick said:

Just watched A Timeless Christmas and it was terrible.  Even Ryan Paevey, whom I normally like, wasn't particularly compelling.

Am I wrong, but in order to have 2 full moons in the same month, wouldn't the second one need to be at least the 29th of the month?  This movie had a Christmas Moon on Dec 18, 1903 and on Dec. 22 or 23, 2020.

I liked Ryan Paevey in this ok but I felt the lead actress just didn't fit. He looked so normal and all I could see was her face work- especially all the botox. I hate to go after an actor's appearance but I don't understand why these very pretty women choose to do all that stuff to their faces? After awhile they all look alike...unnatural & scary.

And yeah, logic would tell us that with a 28/29 day moon cycle- from full to the next full moon, no way can 2 full moons be in a 30 day month with one of them on the 18th or 22nd. Duh, Hallmark....but then, Hallmark.🙄

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 12/5/2020 at 7:07 PM, bankerchick said:

Am I wrong, but in order to have 2 full moons in the same month, wouldn't the second one need to be at least the 29th of the month?  This movie had a Christmas Moon on Dec 18, 1903 and on Dec. 22 or 23, 2020.

22 minutes ago, RedRockRosie said:

And yeah, logic would tell us that with a 28/29 day moon cycle- from full to the next full moon, no way can 2 full moons be in a 30 day month with one of them on the 18th or 22nd. Duh, Hallmark....but then, Hallmark

Something seriously fucked up the space-time continuum there.  Could be how he travels through time?  Plus when you think about it, it's kind of depressing to think that your true love could be a hundred and twenty years in the future.  It does not bode well for those of us who don't have magic clocks, or months with multiple full moons in the middle. (I almost typed in fool moon.  Maybe that's what they meant?)

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

If they insist on having a stupid skating event in every darned movie, for the love of all that is holy give the actors at least a rudimentary skating lesson. I've seen 5 year olds strap on skates for the first time and do a better job that these people.  The only one who is very obviously proficient in a big way is Andrew Walker who must have played hockey at some point in his life. 

I realize that some of these stories are supposed to include newbies but at least make those in the background not look like idiots as well.

And that extends to dance scenes as well.  Rocking back and forth in place is not dancing.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

I’m watching Cranberry Lane again — my 3rd time.  I think part of the reason I really love it is that I’ve always dreamed of having a company like Cranberry Lane.  Love seeing their little dream become a very successful, homegrown company.

Second reason I love it — I think Nikki DeLoach and Benjamin Ayres have incredible chemistry.  I totally believe them as a couple and I actually like that Hallmark showed a married couple dealing with relationship struggles and addressing them and finding a way forward.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4
On 12/14/2020 at 9:32 AM, Ashforth said:

I haven't even watched that many of this season's Christmas/holiday movies, but it drives me nuts that in most of them, there are one - or MORE - Christmas trees, along with miles of garland and lights, in every room of every house and office and quaint little inn - including garages! And barns! Of course, the barn will soon be the site for the party that will save the town.

The worst is that every one of the small towns has a tree lighting ceremony, and the trees are all 30 feet tall. Ridiculous.

I always like to say that it looks like somebody puked up Christmas all over the place. It’s just an extremely crazy amount of decorations. We get it—IT’S CHRISTMAS!!!  Besides just wanting to see what the did w/a Hanukkah movie, the other reason was to see if someone puked Hanukkah all over the place. (I didn’t like the lead’s acting or face. She really took me out of the movie.)

On 12/7/2020 at 12:00 AM, In2You said:

I still don't understand why they don't do mystery holiday movies on HMM when there are more than enough holiday stories from those cozy mysteries they love to adapt.

Great idea!  They could do a ton of holiday movies. Lesier Meier’s Lucy Stone series could keep us busy year round. I’d watch every one. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

If they insist on having a stupid skating event in every darned movie, for the love of all that is holy give the actors at least a rudimentary skating lesson....The only one who is very obviously proficient in a big way is Andrew Walker who must have played hockey at some point in his life.

You can always tell the Canadian boys who grew up playing hockey! I recall seeing Niall Matter and Michael Shanks in a few movies over the years where it was extremely obvious they'd spent a lot of time playing hockey.

On 12/6/2020 at 10:00 PM, In2You said:

I still don't understand why they don't do mystery holiday movies on HMM when there are more than enough holiday stories from those cozy mysteries they love to adapt.

I'm all for this too! At least it might offer something slightly different.

I see Ali Sweeney has one coming up sometime this week, I set it to record since she's one of my faves (Sami Brady FTW!) Beyond that, I have to say that I'm so over Hallmark's Christmapocalypse. At least the Lifetime holiday movies offer up a few laughs and surprises in their fluff.

• Love 2
On 12/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, Callietwo said:

I couldn't get passed Autumn Reeser's hair in the Glenbrooke movie.  It was soo "hot roller' matronly hair and she's not that old. 

That must be a new kind of style. Nikki Deloach had a version of that hairdo on Cranberry Christmas and we have a TV anchor and a field reporter who sport those hairdos, too.

Interesting.  Thanks for linking.  As I read, I am reminded of so many actresses (Lacey Chabert, Nikki DeLoach, Jill Wagner, Ashley Williams, Alicia Witt) that I can barely watch, if at all.  As for the men, there are a few who hold no appeal to me (Wes Brown, Michael Rady, Niall Matter) but some I really like (Paul Campbell, Andrew Walker.)  Plus where is the totally hot Christopher Russell from Forever Christmas? 

• Love 1
On 12/16/2020 at 4:18 PM, Kohola3 said:

If they insist on having a stupid skating event in every darned movie, for the love of all that is holy give the actors at least a rudimentary skating lesson. I've seen 5 year olds strap on skates for the first time and do a better job that these people.  The only one who is very obviously proficient in a big way is Andrew Walker who must have played hockey at some point in his life. 

I realize that some of these stories are supposed to include newbies but at least make those in the background not look like idiots as well.

And that extends to dance scenes as well.  Rocking back and forth in place is not dancing.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, Maelstrom said:

You can always tell the Canadian boys who grew up playing hockey! I recall seeing Niall Matter and Michael Shanks in a few movies over the years where it was extremely obvious they'd spent a lot of time playing hockey.

Add Corey Sevier to the list of guys who can actually ice skate.  In fact, since most of the actors in these holiday movies are Canadian, I just assume that close to 100% know how to ice skate (at least to some level).

15 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Interesting.  Thanks for linking.  As I read, I am reminded of so many actresses (Lacey Chabert, Nikki DeLoach, Jill Wagner, Ashley Williams, Alicia Witt) that I can barely watch, if at all.  As for the men, there are a few who hold no appeal to me (Wes Brown, Michael Rady, Niall Matter) but some I really like (Paul Campbell, Andrew Walker.)  Plus where is the totally hot Christopher Russell from Forever Christmas? 

I view Taylor Cole is the most gorgeous woman in the Christmas holiday movie pantheon on any channel. Doesn't mean I think she's a great actress, just the most photogenic  (Jill Wager is 2nd in my eyes).  

As for men, I think Ryan McPartlin is the most handsome. (Christopher Russell is maybe 2nd) Even though Ryan is the most aesthetically pleasing to me, in the category of who I have a crush on...it's Corey Sevier. I can't think of anyone else I'd add to this list.

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I just assume that close to 100% know how to ice skate (at least to some level).

Sadly, no.  The women never do more than sort of shuffle. Some of the men are just as bad even when theya re supposed to be the ones "helping" the women skating for the first time.

I view Taylor Cole is the most gorgeous woman in the Christmas holiday movie pantheon on any channel. Doesn't mean I think she's a great actress, just the most photogenic  (Jill Wager is 2nd in my eyes).  

As for men, I think Ryan McPartlin is the most handsome. (Christopher Russell is maybe 2nd) Even though Ryan is the most aesthetically pleasing to me, in the category of who I have a crush on...it's Corey Sevier. I can't think of anyone else I'd add to this list.

Don't disagree on Taylor Cole.  I don't know who Ryan McPartlin is and his IMDB doesn't list anything I've ever heard of.  Do you mean Ryan Paevey?  And you're right, that Corey Sevier guy is pretty hot.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, MollyMelrose said:

Another gem from the Holderness Family: 

I know this was meant as a joke, but Lifetime actually did that movie about eight years ago. A serious female scientist single mom who definitely didn't believe in Santa Claus got engaged to her young son's hot kindergarten teacher, then got to meet her future in-laws. Guess who they were? Yep, Santa and Mrs. Claus, though they were trying to pretend to be "normal" so they wouldn't freak her out. Her fiance wrestled with whether he should come clean with her because he knew she wouldn't be able to accept the truth. It was called something like Merry In-Laws and was a mini Cheers reunion, with George Wendt as Santa and Shelley Long as Mrs. Claus. I don't know if Hallmark has done anything along those lines.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, bankerchick said:

The ones you dislike are all favorites, except for Ashley Williams and her creepy incessant grin.  Especially the men on your list. 

And though I agree with you with Paul Campbell & Andrew Walker, I find Christopher Russell not attractive and wooden.   

Funny how different we can all be. 

• Love 2
On 12/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, gutbuster said:

It's called Christmas Around the Corner with Alexandra Breckinridge. I saw part of it only once and have been hoping for a reshow.

I absolutely love this movie.  I dvr’d it last year and saved it so I can rewatch.  Haven’t done that with any of their other movies. 

• Love 3

I'm the wrong person to start discussing Christmas Carousel because I only watched bits of it, including the last ten minutes.  But lordy, that was dreadful.  The two IMDB reviews up agree, and they evidently did watch the whole thing. In the bits I saw, there was a parade of the obligatory tropes (spunky red-haired 11-year old princess, noble long-time lady friend admitting at the end they were not in love, everybody dressed up for the royal dance at the end, &c).  I can forgive a lot of traditional story bits.  But the really terrible acting was what caught my attention more.    

If I had watched more, would it have been better?  If y'all think so, I will try.  

• Love 2

Not likely.  I tried to watch it as well and couldn't make it through.  I find Rachel Boston pretty unlikeable though (lord, I think I say that about every Hallmark actress but a few.  Can Kimberly Sustad, Arielle Kebbel, Taylor Cole and perhaps one or two others do all the movies?)

I was watching Christmas on Wheels but couldn't get past the guy who is in the egg commercial.  I kept waiting for the camera to pan away to his weird pants.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Chippings said:

I'm the wrong person to start discussing Christmas Carousel because I only watched bits of it, including the last ten minutes.  But lordy, that was dreadful.  The two IMDB reviews up agree, and they evidently did watch the whole thing. In the bits I saw, there was a parade of the obligatory tropes (spunky red-haired 11-year old princess, noble long-time lady friend admitting at the end they were not in love, everybody dressed up for the royal dance at the end, &c).  I can forgive a lot of traditional story bits.  But the really terrible acting was what caught my attention more.    

If I had watched more, would it have been better?  If y'all think so, I will try.  

I didn’t hate it but it was instantly forgettable, I mean while I was watching the one on HMM immediately after, I had forgotten what it was about. It was just not great and the lead actor annoyed me for some reason. 

I finally saw The Twelve Dates of Christmas yesterday. Loved it! My husband wandered in about 20 minutes in and remarked, “I can see where this is going”. I told him it’s a Hallmark movie, of course we know where it’s going. And while they got the hot chocolate in there, living in The Big City was not horrible and there was no old boyfriend/girlfriend luring them back to the small town life. Minor nitpick-one Date place mentioned that it was off of the 94. In Chicago, Interstates are named and that reference would be referred to as off the Edens, Kennedy, or Dan Ryan, depending on where in the City it was. Though I didn’t get why not getting the promotion meant she had to return to Iowa. She had only been at the job a year.

• Love 2

Dang it, I had high hopes for Christmas Carousel since I enjoy both leads so probably will hold off on watching this. As usual, way to ruin a movie by dumb tropes. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Eh, I wasn't really into it even before it got to the annoying tropes. I didn't really feel any chemistry between the leads, and Neal's fake English accent messed with his acting or something. I didn't like him as much as I did in the movie he did with Danica. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/18/2020 at 3:03 PM, bankerchick said:

Don't disagree on Taylor Cole.  I don't know who Ryan McPartlin is and his IMDB doesn't list anything I've ever heard of.  Do you mean Ryan Paevey?  And you're right, that Corey Sevier guy is pretty hot.

He made a Hallmark movie with Erin Krakow (from When Calls the Heart) and played a photographer whose son faked an online dating profile for his dad (Ryan).  Erin's character thought she was corresponding with Ryan, and when she came to meet him, he had no idea all this stuff was going on.  Of course, the two characters fall in love...

I first noticed him from some Hallmark type (I can't recall if it was actually on Hallmark or not) movie where his character is a mannequin come to life. Surprisingly, the lead female character (played by Claire Coffee from Grimm) doesn't end up with him, but rather, she ends up with her co-worker. This movie stayed with me because Ryan McPartlin does some modeling "poses" (ya know, since he was a mannequin!) and I thought they were hysterical!    🤣

Here's an image I got from IMDB:

image.png.966b623e82f57042fb3a8e11d0b50b27.png

• Love 2

Thanks for the reviews about Christmas Carousel. I like Rachel Boston but movies with royalty in them rarely interest me. So it has to be pretty good to get over the royalty aspect. 

I also like Lindy Booth but I couldn't get into the HMM where she's cleaning out a house with Justin Bruening. 

43 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

He made a Hallmark movie with Erin Krakow (from When Calls the Heart) and played a photographer whose son faked an online dating profile for his dad (Ryan).  Erin's character thought she was corresponding with Ryan, and when she came to meet him, he had no idea all this stuff was going on.  Of course, the two characters fall in love...

I first noticed him from some Hallmark type (I can't recall if it was actually on Hallmark or not) movie where his character is a mannequin come to life. Surprisingly, the lead female character (played by Claire Coffee from Grimm) doesn't end up with him, but rather, she ends up with her co-worker. This movie stayed with me because Ryan McPartlin does some modeling "poses" (ya know, since he was a mannequin!) and I thought they were hysterical!    🤣

Here's an image I got from IMDB:

image.png.966b623e82f57042fb3a8e11d0b50b27.png

He also played Zachary Levi's brother-in-law, whose nickname was Captain Awesome, on the wonderful and funny TV show Chuck. He was well-cast as the "perfect" man, and pretty funny. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Thanks for the reviews about Christmas Carousel. I like Rachel Boston but movies with royalty in them rarely interest me. So it has to be pretty good to get over the royalty aspect. 

I also like Lindy Booth but I couldn't get into the HMM where she's cleaning out a house with Justin Bruening. 

I actually liked the Lindy Booth one more than I expected. 

• Love 1

Cross Country Christmas -- WHERE DID MAX GET THE TRACTOR??

Did you catch when he told her that his father couldn't express emotion to the family because "he was from another generation"?  But it seemed Max was in his 30's, which would make Dad a relatively free and easy Baby Boomer, not some stern, taciturn, Great Depression baby.  

• Love 1

Hmm. I think my holiday movie patience is wearing thin in that I just couldn't really get into many of the movies this weekend.  I'm distracted about some other real life stuff so that could be it.  Or is it that they don't put their winners on the last weekend?  IIRC, I seem to have felt that way in the past. 

I'll still try Cross Country Christmas as that's the last Hallmark one I haven't even tried yet.  I did watch Project Christmas Wish and while it was mostly background noise for me, I do have to say that I thought it had a nice, lovely moment when the lead guy asked the lead gal if he could kiss her.  I like seeing consent like that. 

Cross Country Christmas -- farmer with a couple of small children finds two strangers (the romantic leads) asleep in his truck so what does he do?  Invite them in for a pancake breakfast, of course. 

Poured onto the griddle, however, the pancakes looked like styrofoam.

• LOL 5

The Sunday night movies were way better than the Saturday night movies this weekend. I thought that the one on HMM - Project Christmas Wish - was the definitely best of the weekend and one of the best, if not the best,  out of the 40. 

• Love 1
On 12/20/2020 at 12:33 AM, Chippings said:

My Mom and I watched this and talked all the way through. It was like every other royal holiday movie, outside of the carousel restoration. My Mom said "Is he actually going to get on the wishing horse???" I did like the carousel restoration part though, and the Dad/Royal Chief of Staff getting together. 

I liked Cross Country Christmas enough after we got through the nonsense at the airport and train station. The first time that guy obnoxiously refused her help should should have ditched him, but she was very persistent in forcing her help on him. Although I guess that was supposed to be  part of her character flaw - thinking she could fix everyone's problems.

Everything in this movie was really implausible, and a bit stupid, not to mention real-world dangerous. But there were a few nice moments and my standards are dropping rapidly that a couple of cute moments are making up for the remaining hour and fifty-five minutes I spent watching. I thought his creation of a reindeer sighting for her was really cute. And her brother's friend that everyone assumed was into her, or was trying to set her up with, was really just there for the food. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'll still try Cross Country Christmas as that's the last Hallmark one I haven't even tried yet.  I did watch Project Christmas Wish and while it was mostly background noise for me, I do have to say that I thought it had a nice, lovely moment when the lead guy asked the lead gal if he could kiss her.  I like seeing consent like that. 

I've liked Rachel Leigh Cook since I watched She's All That, and I've liked Greyston Holt since the tv show Bitten, but even those two couldn't get me to watch this one. Maybe if I'm super bored one day and it re-airs, I might watch just to kill some time, but the premise sounded so worn out I just couldn't give it a watch.   [Now, I just need one of these channels to reunite Greyston and Laura Van der Voort in a holiday movie and I am SO in!!!!]

• Love 1

I love "It Happened One Night"-esque road trip movies, so I like Cross Country Christmas. There was another one on ION last week (Dashing Home for Christmas) that I didn't think was nearly as good, so maybe my expectations were already low. I thought Rachel Leigh Cook and Greyston Holt had good chemistry.

With the commercial free marathon of 2020 movies coming up, what are this year's must watch movies? I've been mostly underwhelmed, but I've also missed a lot of them.

• Love 1