Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Is her sister Kimberley Williams (married to Brad Paisley)?

Yes.

a Halloween movie where she's a nanny to two kids and then dresses as a mermaid at the end.

October Kiss.  I actually love that movie and watch it at least once a year.

I can't recall if it was a Hallmark movie or not, but one I've enjoyed and re-watched a couple of times was a Kimberley Williams movie called Lucky 7. I say maybe it's not Hallmark because -  gasp! the lead female had a one night stand with the male lead (played by Patrick Dempsey). No way, no how would that happen these days on Hallmark.

These days it wouldn't happen on Hallmark but I was watching some Hallmark Drama movies (which I think were from the Hallmark collection) and there was some sex--both marital and non-marital sex.

I also love Lucky 7.  Real chemistry between the leads and gorgeous scenery. I have it on my DVR.  Maybe I'll watch it again this weekend. But Lucky 7 wasn't Hallmark.  IIRC, it was from the ABC Family Channel (or whatever it was in 2003.)

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Don't ask me to remember which movie as all the Christmas titles are starting to run together in my mind, but this line of dialogue will stay with me in nightmares:

"You must try my shrimp lollipops while they're still warm from the oven"

• LOL 6

Christmas With The Darlings could have been really charming.  The title, for me, has a rather quaint Victorian ring to it, since it harkens back to the Darling family in Peter Pan.  But Hallmark has to muck it all up with their usual bizarrely restrictive formula.

I mean, 100 mentions of the word "Christmas" (I also included "Christmas-y") is just not normal, to put it mildly.  What is it about subtlety that Hallmark doesn't understand or accept?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I loooove Lucky 7.  It was one of those movies I just stumbled upon and it is a fave of my daughter’s and mine.  And an early Patrick Dempsey whose character is so great.  Kimberly is a delight and I enjoy her in the Darrow movies.  Her sister Ashley - too much annoying spunk, tries too hard, manic smile.  I know she has lots of fans, but...

14 hours ago, twoods said:

I saw Ashley the first time in the Snow movies on ABC Family and really enjoyed her in them. She wasn’t so bad in her first few Hallmark ones either but then she got too cute and smiley. That creepy smile would come out in the most inappropriate time and it would take me out of her scenes. 

Lucky 7 is also one of my favorite movies. 

14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes.

October Kiss.  I actually love that movie and watch it at least once a year.

These days it wouldn't happen on Hallmark but I was watching some Hallmark Drama movies (which I think were from the Hallmark collection) and there was some sex--both marital and non-marital sex.

I also love Lucky 7.  Real chemistry between the leads and gorgeous scenery. I have it on my DVR.  Maybe I'll watch it again this weekend. But Lucky 7 wasn't Hallmark.  IIRC, it was from the ABC Family Channel (or whatever it was in 2003.)

Well, it looks like Lucky 7 is a big hit on this forum (or at least this thread). I wish I had it on DVR so I could re-watch. What struck me was not only the chemistry between the two leads, but yes, I agree with @Irlandesa the scenery was GORGEOUS!  It's due to this, and a Hallmark movie called "Bridal Wave" that makes me want to visit the islands off the Pacific Northwest. Hopefully, I'll actually make it there some day.

15 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I am watching The 12th Date of Christmas again — y’all, it’s my 4th time already.  I cannot believe how much I love this new movie.  Tyler and Mallory are a superb duo with humor and chemistry, the supporting cast is perfect, and the story is smart and unique.  

Count me in as a fan of this one.  I also thought the premise was lovely - a scavenger hunt that gets people to become familiar (or reacquaint themselves) with historical sites around Chicago.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

At one point in Nine Lives of Christmas Kimberly Sustad unzips her jacket to show just the tiniest hint of cleavage.  She immediately zips it back up again, but that's about the most risque thing I've seen in a Hallmark movie (low bar I know).  And that was six years ago, they've gotten blander and more sex-less since then.

5 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Don't ask me to remember which movie as all the Christmas titles are starting to run together in my mind, but this line of dialogue will stay with me in nightmares:

"You must try my shrimp lollipops while they're still warm from the oven"

What the hell is a shrimp lollipop?  Is it like shrimp toast from Chinese takeout?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

At one point in Nine Lives of Christmas Kimberly Sustad unzips her jacket to show just the tiniest hint of cleavage.  She immediately zips it back up again, but that's about the most risque thing I've seen in a Hallmark movie (low bar I know).  And that was six years ago, they've gotten blander and more sex-less since then.

What the hell is a shrimp lollipop?  Is it like shrimp toast from Chinese takeout?

Actually, a woman in one of the movies this year showed a lot of cleavage. I was very surprised but no one else brought it up and I just forgot about it. Now I can't remember what movie it was. It was one of the first few aired after the COVID break. I don't think it was the lead female. It's bothering me that I can't remember now. It was definitely more cleavage than Kimberly Sustad showed, though. 

• Useful 2
On 11/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, roughing it said:

I'm new to the holiday movies this year, and I've gotta say, I'm not a fan of Ashley Williams.  It's like she's trying oh so hard to look oh so cute.

I typically avoid any movie with her as a lead.  If there was such a thing as a Phrase Dictionary, her picture would be shown under the phrase "chewing the scenery." 

If she weren't Kimberly Williams Paisley's sister, she would probably be hired only for low rent cable shows & movies.

oh wait.......

Edited by Callietwo
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

I had to Google it -- some sort of fried appetizer.  

At first I thought this particular lollipop would have fit in perfectly with @Ashforth's Christmas with Lolita.

• LOL 2

Christmas in Vienna:  the heroine will almost certainly be introduced to "kaffee mit schlag" by either a girlfriend or the male romantic lead.  But, this being Hallmark, it just might be hot chocolate with the schlag (whipped cream).

Heroine will proclaim Vienna as "magical and historical.  I could stay here forever!"

The last-act kiss will occur during a waltz.

Heroine will meet Harry Lime.

Scratch that last one.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 11/12/2020 at 11:15 PM, twoods said:

. That creepy smile would come out in the most inappropriate time and it would take me out of her scenes. 

I saw her in  Evergreen, which was a pretty ok movie for the genre.  Not great but watchable.  But that smile.  Oh dear.  

I’m already having a hard time with the struggling musician trope. Tonight’s movie makes the third (?) movie with a stringed instrumentalist struggling in some way or other. Maybe because I’m a musician myself that has been unable to play with my group (I play in a flute choir) or even practice at home because of my kids being on zooms all day or never leaving my side to give me a moment alone due to COVID I just can’t even pretend to watch these even though they have at least one likeable lead.

So far I’ve noticed struggling musicians or struggling blogger/vlogger/writer seems to be key in these movies.

I’m a sucker for time travel so I am looking forward to Sunday’s offering!

27 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

I’m a sucker for time travel so I am looking forward to Sunday’s offering!

Me, too. One thing I really dislike about Hallmark in the last few years is that they’ve moved away from fantasy elements in Christmas movies. I find it so weird when it’s the one time of the year that lends itself perfectly to magical stories. I’m still holding out hope someone will make the Christmas version of Pleasantville. 

Edited by Guest

OK, I liked Christmas in Vienna.  Mostly because of the beautiful scenes of Vienna.  Was it really filmed in Vienna, or in another fake soundstage in Vancouver?  Anyway, I liked the different storyline of a talented musician who has lost her inspiration.  That was believable.  But I really wanted the story to conclude with a glorious crescendo of music.  With the lead character PLAYING with the Vienna Philharmonic, instead of just auditioning for it.

Edited by susannot
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, susannot said:

OK, I liked Christmas in Vienna.  Mostly because of the beautiful scenes of Vienna.  Was it really filmed in Vienna, or in another fake soundstage in Vancouver?  Anyway, I liked the different storyline of a talented musician who has lost her inspiration.  That was believable.  But I really wanted the story to conclude with a glorious crescendo of music.  With the lead character PLAYING with the Vienna Philharmonic, instead of just auditioning for it.

Agree! I enjoyed the movie, but the main thing that bothered me was the bland pop Christmas music played in varioius scenes of Christmas shopping, etc. You're in Vienna, Hallmark! Play some beautiful, suitable, waltz-able music!

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, susannot said:

It was filmed in Vienna and Bucharest last Christmas. 

Did a lot of channel flipping during Christmas in Vienna, so missed a lot of the movie, but did see where they went full Von Trapp Family Singers at the end. Started to wonder if they were gonna have to make a quick get-away from the Nazis.

• LOL 6

Ah, it's been a while since i've been back to this thread (i'm still barely getting back into the holiday movie groove) and I see that things haven't changed a bit : Ashley Williams' smile still creeps some viewers, the tropes discussion are still as present as ever, and the board still doesn't seem to know whether to talk about Hallmark Xmas movies here or in the holiday thread. The more things change... ^^

Anyway, as I just wrote, I've been very slowly getting back into it. I'm three Hallmark movies in (Jingle Bell Bride, Christmas Tree Lane, Chateau Christmas), already noticing some trends (three movies, two struggling musicians... and I see there are a couple more of those on the schedule), and although those three movies were nothing to write home about (Jingle Bell Bride kinda felt like Hallmark overcompensated on the diversity front, to the point it felt forced, and something bothered me in Gonzalo's (over)acting ; C. Tree Lane was your standard Hallmark "let's all join forces and save x or y for Christmas" fare with added unconvincing "look at Alicia Witt's talent, she's really a great musician !" ; Chateau Christmas was... fine, but uneventful), there seems to be a slight effort from Hallmark's part, with some changes and improvements, here and there, on the usual clichés.

Still, it's early in the season, and there's plenty of time and movies for the network to get back to its usual mediocre tropes. We'll see.

12 hours ago, kirinan said:

Agree! I enjoyed the movie, but the main thing that bothered me was the bland pop Christmas music played in varioius scenes of Christmas shopping, etc. You're in Vienna, Hallmark! Play some beautiful, suitable, waltz-able music!

It bothered me too -- I mean, Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree?  Doesn't exactly evoke a continental atmosphere.  

I totally forgot the strudel.  Should have known.  (Hallmark loves this pastry -- Christmas in Vail's plot basically revolved around Lacey Chabert's Uncle Grady's famous strudel recipe)  

The baking cookies trope was so transparent and silly --  the violinist could easily have gone into any famous shop there to purchase local delicacies for the kids.

I appreciate Brennan Elliot as one of their stock company leads -- he is definitely not the typical blandly handsome, wooden, model-type guy they usually use, but in this story I was sort of hoping the diplomat would be blonde, good-looking, and with a European air.  Brennan is, well, kind of schlumpy.  He's real, yes, but in this kind of story not anyone's romantic ideal, at least for me. 

The child actors weren't obnoxious and squeaky voiced as they usually are in these things.  That was a plus, plus some actual authentic location filming in Vienna.  The lead actress -- I forget her name -- was also rather pleasant.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Dani said:

Me, too. One thing I really dislike about Hallmark in the last few years is that they’ve moved away from fantasy elements in Christmas movies. I find it so weird when it’s the one time of the year that lends itself perfectly to magical stories. I’m still holding out hope someone will make the Christmas version of Pleasantville. 

The Christmas version of Pleasantville sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

• Love 3

Did anyone watch Meet Me At Christmas? I haven't watched it and admittedly wasn't really interested to. Partially because the storyline didn't seem like anything special or interesting and partially for superficial reasons - in the previews Mark didn't look great and Catherine looks strange. I recorded it just in case people actually thought it was good but am ready to just delete it also. 

• Useful 1
52 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

Did anyone watch Meet Me At Christmas? I haven't watched it and admittedly wasn't really interested to. Partially because the storyline didn't seem like anything special or interesting and partially for superficial reasons - in the previews Mark didn't look great and Catherine looks strange. I recorded it just in case people actually thought it was good but am ready to just delete it also. 

I watched some of it.  Sadly, to me, Catherine’s mouth looks strange and it was distracting.  It is a shame.  And I felt she was so hostile to Mark’s character a bit too often — honestly, I don’t know why Hallmark does this so often.  The often quite rude, off-putting, insulting, hostile behavior and verbiage would turn me off of the other person FOR GOOD!  

Maybe others liked the movie more.  I’m such a Good Witch fan and oh, I wish Catherine would have left her face alone for these past several years.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Did anyone watch Meet Me At Christmas

I just sat through it and Catherine Bell's character remains bitchy throughout.  The wedding of the young couple (her son & Mark's character's niece) is absolutely stunning and their characters are adorable, but that is pretty much the only redeeming factor of the movie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

A Timeless Christmas just didn't do it for me and I'm a major time travel fan.  (Journey Back To Christmas with CCB was the best I've seen from them in this genre)  

I thought the ending to ATC was stupid and unsatisfying.  Charles Whitley is a unique character who unfortunately is turned into the typical Hallmark leading man, complete with deceased parents and an inability to enjoy the holiday season.....what else is new? The writers also slip in another favorite trope as Charles is asked by one of his servants how things were in the city.  His reply?  "Well, the city is the city"  You know:  City=Bad.    And our leading lady, at the finale, decides that continuing in her family's generational career path involving education, is just not for her.  Hallmark's seeming distain for intellectualism really comes to the forefront.

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'll be the dissenting voice about Meet Me At Christmas.  I liked it.  Of the 4 Hallmark movies this weekend, I thought it was the most complete movie.  Yes, she was sometimes colder to the main lead than she needed to be but I do like the human reasons behind that choice.  It sure beats "ooh I hate him because he doesn't know the name of all the reindeer" type reasons.  I didn't think I'd like it based on the promos but it surprised me.

Christmas in Vienna did have the gorgeous scenery but I took a break about half way through the movie and I feel like I came back to a different movie.  Suddenly she's close enough to the kids she feels she can tell the male lead whether or not to take a job?  Being a diplomat in Vienna and Zurich are prime jobs.  And hey, they speak German in Zurich too.  Just passing up the opportunity to move isn't how this all works. 

The Christmas Doctor is one I would have given up on if I hadn't been reading.  And I just couldn't with A Timeless Christmas.  Ryan Paevy is just almost always an automatic "no" for me.  I gave it about five minutes tonight and still a hard no.  If anything, trying to make him "period-appropriate" made all his faults even worse.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Hallmark's seeming distain (disdain) for intellectualism really comes to the forefront.

I didn't get that at all.  She already had her PhD and curated a museum in her pet subject, so that was plenty intellectual.  Teaching was just something she thought her family wanted her to pursue. 

And although I enjoyed most of the movie - Ryan P's wooden self fit the role well - the ending was all wrong.   He should have gone back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

He should have gone back.

What a refreshing ending that would be. But, no, Hallmark.  Ugh.

The whole thing was so ridiculous putting aside the time travel which is just the premise so we'll dismiss that.  But this dude just readily accepts all of the modern inventions without a whiff of interest or confusion, manages to immediately figure out how to turn off a TV using a remote (heck, I still have to look at the buttons on mine), easily scrounges up modern clothes, and having never seen a car just climbs right into the sheriff's without a second thought, 

And don't get me started on imagining how the whole thing would play out moving forward with no ID, no home, no job, etc.

10 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

Ryan P's wooden self fit the role well

The man has one expression - grim.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

What a refreshing ending that would be. But, no, Hallmark.  Ugh.

The whole thing was so ridiculous putting aside the time travel which is just the premise so we'll dismiss that.  But this dude just readily accepts all of the modern inventions without a whiff of interest or confusion, manages to immediately figure out how to turn off a TV using a remote (heck, I still have to look at the buttons on mine), easily scrounges up modern clothes, and having never seen a car just climbs right into the sheriff's without a second thought, 

And don't get me started on imagining how the whole thing would play out moving forward with no ID, no home, no job, etc.

The man has one expression - grim.  

I actually like Ryan Paevey most of the time, but all of the above really bugged me in this movie. I kept thinking "he has no money. He has no ID, no usable SSN, no birth certificate that can explain his age"...staying does not work logistically. I know I should hand wave all that, but it really did not work for me. Also because they kept talking about his disappearance, I thought it was clear he was going to stay at the end so all the handwringing about the clock and him leaving was stupid. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

He should have gone back.

Hallmark aside I don't think there are many time travel romances around where the person who comes into the future goes back into the past (one huge Outlander exception being the exception).  Channelling Star Trek here but that would totally mess with the timeline.

• Useful 1
Just now, WinnieWinkle said:

Hallmark aside I don't think there are many time travel romances around where the person who comes into the future goes back into the past (one huge Outlander exception being the exception).  Channelling Star Trek here but that would totally mess with the timeline.

In Journey Back to Christmas Candace's character went back to the 1940's via the magic Christmas comet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I actually like Ryan Paevey most of the time, but all of the above really bugged me in this movie. I kept thinking "he has no money. He has no ID, no usable SSN, no birth certificate that can explain his age"...staying does not work logistically. I know I should hand wave all that, but it really did not work for me. Also because they kept talking about his disappearance, I thought it was clear he was going to stay at the end so all the handwringing about the clock and him leaving was stupid. 

Yes!!  That's all that I thought about throughout the whole movie!  It actually distracted me.  I thought he was going to go back like the guy I saw last year (the ghost who appears at Christmas and then goes home on Christmas Eve.  Forgive me I can't remember the name) even though that guy ended up staying too.

However I never saw Ryan Paevey before and I found him very very good looking.

I was wondering the whole time if the lead woman knew someone who could make a false ID for poor Charles.

The butler and his wife had a very strange skin color.  Like they were spray tanned or something.  Anybody notice?

Edited by NYGirl
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

In Journey Back to Christmas Candace's character went back to the 1940's via the magic Christmas comet.

I forgot about that one.  And it's one I really like as well.  Where time travel is concerned though it's so full of inconsistencies that I'm not sure I really count it.  Not that there is a rule book for this genre I guess but there should be some logic to it.  Sort of 😀

• Love 2

I was given the book of A Timeless Christmas last year and liked it well enough.  It was written by a friend of a friend.   I have taped the movie but not sure I want to watch it.  It might ruin the book for me.

I read a book this weekend and the entire time, I was thinking "this would make a good Hallmark movie."  Until the very end and something happened that never, ever happens in Hallmark movies.  The man gave up everything to follow the woman and she kept her very satisfying city job, instead of the other way around.  Now I hope Hallmark never gets their hands on the book because they will ruin it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

Until the very end and something happened that never, ever happens in Hallmark movies.  The man gave up everything to follow the woman and she kept her very satisfying city job, instead of the other way around.  Now I hope Hallmark never gets their hands on the book because they will ruin it.

They seem to be more cognizant of those tropes this year.  Jingle Bell Bride had everyone moving back to NYC.  Granted, he already had a job there from before he came to Alaska to help out but he moved back for her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I didn't get that at all.  She already had her PhD and curated a museum in her pet subject, so that was plenty intellectual.  Teaching was just something she thought her family wanted her to pursue. 

And although I enjoyed most of the movie - Ryan P's wooden self fit the role well - the ending was all wrong.   He should have gone back.

Yes she had the academic credentials -- it's just the way Hallmark routinely defines these characters (male and female) and their ultimate choices that really bug me, ol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

I read a book this weekend and the entire time, I was thinking "this would make a good Hallmark movie."  Until the very end and something happened that never, ever happens in Hallmark movies.  The man gave up everything to follow the woman and she kept her very satisfying city job, instead of the other way around.  Now I hope Hallmark never gets their hands on the book because they will ruin it.

I read the books that When Calls the Heart are based on and they're way, way better.  They're not nearly as in your face with romance -- honestly, after the first book we barely see the main guy character -- but the women have agency and self-determination, and there is far more ethnic diversity as there are a lot of First Nations characters who are central to the storyline.  And it's so ironic considering that in the books, the women outright say that they are subservient and that the men are the head of the family, and yet they do so much more than the women in the show, who mostly just exist to fall in love.  It's kind of sad.

Understand why 2020 Charles stayed. He came to the realization that 1903 Charles was a complete toolbag. His fiancé was happier without him, and his hated arch rival turned out to be a really great guy.

Kinda reminded me of the Dallas episode back in the day where JR realized everyone's lives would have been better had he never been born.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, NYGirl said:

The butler and his wife had a very strange skin color.  Like they were spray tanned or something.  Anybody notice?

I had the same thought. I’m guessing it was a makeup artist who didn’t know how to deal with darker skin because she looked completely normal in Wedding Every Weekend. 

2 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I was given the book of A Timeless Christmas last year and liked it well enough.  It was written by a friend of a friend.   I have taped the movie but not sure I want to watch it.  It might ruin the book for me.

Hallmark published the book. 

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

They seem to be more cognizant of those tropes this year.  Jingle Bell Bride had everyone moving back to NYC.  Granted, he already had a job there from before he came to Alaska to help out but he moved back for her.

I’ve been surprised by how even the split is between small town and big city this year. 

6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

6 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

. I kept thinking "he has no money. He has no ID, no usable SSN, no birth certificate that can explain his age"...staying does not work logistically. I know I should hand wave all that, but it really did not work for me. 

I was willing to suspend reality for the whole time travel thing.  But I couldn't imagine how he would stay in the present.  I realize that love conquers all (in the Hallmark world), but she's going to get tired very quickly of supporting him, driving him everywhere, etc. And let's hope he never gets sick because health insurance requires social security numbers.  Yes, I know that these people aren't real, but I can't help thinking about things like this.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I enjoyed the movie, but agree it makes no sense for him to just stay in 2020. I understand he realized his fiance was better off without him, but acting out re-enactments at a museum can't possibly be enough for a full time living and he has no real prospects.

Plus, but he barely knows this woman and suddenly decides she's the love of his life that he wants to spend forever with? In most movies it isn't a big deal when the main characters decide to hook up, because if it doesn't work out they both still have their own lives. Here he is literally giving up his one chance at getting home. But I guess the clock called in true love, so it must be true.

• Love 4
On 11/15/2020 at 5:57 PM, EyewatchTV211 said:

I thought it was the worst one that Hallmark has aired this year.  I would have to be paid a lot of money to watch it again. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I understand he realized his fiance was better off without him, but acting out re-enactments at a museum can't possibly be enough for a full time living and he has no real prospects.

And there isn't any way to know if his fiance was better off without him.  Sure she married the other dude and they were supposedly happy but there was to think Mr. Pokerface wouldn't have made a good marriage as well.  This mess was just way too loose.