Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Dani said:

Just a heads up that the US weekly list is from before HMM moved their start times to 10pm. I really prefer ones that list by date but have stopped trusting them because Hallmark tends to change their schedule frequently. Last year was so bad those lists were wrong when they published.  Hopefully it’s better this year.

With the holiday movies, I care less about Hallmark.  I just record those and I know there will be 4 movies a week, more or less. It doesn't make much difference to me if they swap Christmas Inn Love with Inn to Christmas (not real movies---I don't think).

But it helps me know when Ion starts kicking in.  And UP.  And other channels.  Plus, it isn't overrun with Snoopie specials or tree lightings...etc.

• LOL 1
2 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Miss Christmas.

"My father always said that love was like a Christmas tree.  It needs roots and wings"

Back to Stephen King's Misery.

Haha haha — no father ever said that — makes no sense!  

Enjoy Stephen King and “Misery” — Law & Order is my go-to during this Christmas movie overload season.  I’ll check out what’s on the Hallmark channels — if it’s an oldie I like, I’ll watch; if it is a new one, I’ll first see who the leads are — then if I decide to give it a go, I’ll watch for about 10 minutes and make a quick exit if it’s lame or silly.  

• Love 4

Thanks, @MerBearHou.   I'm always astounded at the sheer genius of Kathy Bates' acting prowess. (she's extra fabulous in Dolores Claiborne)

I also go to L&O at this time, but only if it's with Lenny Briscoe.   

As a horror film buff, there are some great ones right now -- I'm excited to see From Hell It Came followed by Death Curse of Tartu on TCM this evening, lol.

I keep hoping Hallmark will "improve", whatever that means, but they are truly stuck in that bizarre robotic/cheesy universe.  It fascinates me which is frankly the reason I watch....

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/25/2020 at 6:11 PM, In2You said:

I knew she was a latina from being familiar with her outside of Hallmark she just usually doesn't play those characters because of her look. So it was nice of them to incorporate that a little into this movie.

I thought the leads had great chemistry so Jingle Bell Bride didn't feel like the many other Christmas movies where someone is stuck in a small town. Especially since I've seen a few about small town Alaska specifically recently.

I liked it too!  I thought the movie was fun and charming and I agree that the storyline ending with the guy moving to be with the girl in the big city was good.  And she did not give up her profession, either. 

One thing I could not help but wonder throughout the movie was how a a Black family ended up in a remote town in Alaska.  I checked and the Black population in Alaska is 3.6%.  Alaska actually ranks high on the diversity scale of states due to its Native population, though.

I suppose a lot of people go to Alaska for a lot of reasons.  Probably their ancestors were gold miners as explained in the origin story of the town.  I think that the mayor did say her family has been there for 6 generations.  Possibly a fascinating part of American history that is little known.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, susannot said:

I liked it too!  I thought the movie was fun and charming and I agree that the storyline ending with the guy moving to be with the girl in the big city was good.  And she did not give up her profession, either. 

One thing I could not help but wonder throughout the movie was how a a Black family ended up in a remote town in Alaska.  I checked and the Black population in Alaska is 3.6%.  Alaska actually ranks high on the diversity scale of states due to its Native population, though.

I suppose a lot of people go to Alaska for a lot of reasons.  Probably their ancestors were gold miners as explained in the origin story of the town.  I think that the mayor did say her family has been there for 6 generations.  Possibly a fascinating part of American history that is little known.

My dad was stationed in Alaska in the Army (Korean War).  Two of his friends from the Army returned there after the war and started a trucking business together.  They were both Black.  According to my dad there were a lot of opportunities up there and the GI bill helped people.  That wasn't six generations ago though.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Bronx Babe said:

Saw four Hallmark movies this week where in every one there was a character named Jackson.  What's up with that?   

And what's funny about that is that most of the actors in Hallmark movies are about 20 years too old for Jackson to have been a trendy name when they were born.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Saw four Hallmark movies this week where in every one there was a character named Jackson.  What's up with that?   

I’m pretty sure Hallmark is like the royals with a list of acceptable names. Even while I’m watching I can never remember anyone’s name. 

2 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Hallmark does this, where they find a name that they like and they reuse it across their movies/shows.  My favorite game is to play Spot the Abigail.  There's one in WCtH (or was), one in Good Witch, and I think there are two in Chesapeake Shores.  And I know I've seen at least two movies where either the main character or the main supporting friend was named Abigail.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just watched "The Christmas Secret." I rewatch this one a lot. I don't know why Hallmark can't make more movies like this. Is it cheesy? Of course, but it's heartfelt cheesy and not formulaic with all the twists even though you know what almost all of them are from the beginning. The actors are all really good too. My only complaint would be the total lack of diversity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, Shorty186 said:

Just watched "The Christmas Secret." I rewatch this one a lot. I don't know why Hallmark can't make more movies like this. Is it cheesy? Of course, but it's heartfelt cheesy and not formulaic with all the twists even though you know what almost all of them are from the beginning. The actors are all really good too. My only complaint would be the total lack of diversity.

I watched The Christmas Secret this morning and I thought it was excellent. I don't recall seeing it before, which is a surprise since it's from 2014. For this type of movie, it is downright gritty, with the lead being a divorced mom who has serious money problems and whose hot-but-asshole ex is trying to take the kids - kids who are written as realistic kids who bicker and whine and are also sweet and engaged. The inattentive teenage babysitter was a realistic touch as well. For those who haven't seen it, I won't describe too much. I will say that the required misunderstanding was funny instead of *heartbreak* over the new love and the twist wasn't much of a surprise but was sweet.

I actually looked it up, and was not a Hallmark production, but it was distributed by Hallmark. I agree on the lack of diversity.

Worst supporting character was Betty's wig. Yikes.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I just came away from watching 'One Royal Holiday', and I really did like it.  The two leads, from Broadway, were different (thank goodness!), and the script was really kind of witty, especially at the beginning.  Mr. Chippings was watching with me for a little, and I wasn't actually embarrassed at what he was seeing.  

If I was writing a whole review, I'd have to say that the building they showed as the "palace" was really cheesy (and small too).  But otherwise, really fairly different and very enjoyable.  

Edited by Chippings
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

So far, I'm staying on top of the movies--although I haven't watched the Lifetime movie yet.

I enjoyed Cranberry Christmas.  I thought Nikki and Ben were really good together and had a nice chemistry.  She is becoming one of the most reliable Hallmark actresses for me in terms of having chemistry with her costars even if she did still have the bangs. I liked the little twist that it was a couple who was already together who was having a struggle rather than a "will they/won't they/of course they will" angle.  IIRC, Nikki had a similar movie two years ago (Reunited at Christmas) that I liked quite a bit that was also about a couple who were already together.  I think I liked it more than most, though, so maybe it'll be the same with this one.  But I did appreciate the approach of a more mature relationship.  I didn't quite understand why she couldn't go to NY one day a week, though.  It'd still allow her to be at the farm.

I did not like One Royal Holiday.  I stuck it out because of the Broadway stars but there was far too little singing given how good Laura and Aaron's voices are.  And I don't think Aaron's prince smiled very much in the movie.  I do know they tried to portray him as having a dry wit but he just came off as too sullen for me. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

A Wish For Christmas.

Should have been named A Pitch For Christmas.

"I'm counting on you to give a good pitch"

"Good luck with your pitch"

"You can do this pitch"

"But the pitch isn't until tomorrow"

"We've got to ace this pitch"

In addition to the end of the mermaid hair, which I complained about in a previous post,  will we ever see the end of the pitches??  

Will it come down to Santa masquerading as a marketing executive? Will we see the elves sweating to come up with a good pitch?

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

So far I have enjoyed One Royal Holiday and Delivered by Christmas.   I liked the leads in both and enjoyed the chemistry.  I really appreciated the humor in One Royal Holiday.  When Anna compared to Captain VonTrapp, I thought that was a wonderful reference because the Prince’s dry humor worked so well for me.  I liked that he tended to be serious with surprising moments of humor here and there.  Arraon Tevit is good at making his eyes smile even if his mouth isn’t and that VonTrapp “serious but with hidden charm” is a vibe I like.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I enjoyed Cranberry Lane.  I thought Nikki and Ben were really good together and had a nice chemistry.  She is becoming one of the most reliable Hallmark actresses for me in terms of having chemistry with her costars even if she did still have the bangs. I liked the little twist that it was a couple who was already together who was having a struggle rather than a "will they/won't they/of course they will" angle.  IIRC, Nikki had a similar movie two years ago (Reunited at Christmas) that I liked quite a bit that was also about a couple who were already together.  I think I liked it more than most, though, so maybe it'll be the same with this one.  But I did appreciate the approach of a more mature relationship.  I didn't quite understand why she couldn't go to NY one day a week, though.  It'd still allow her to be at the farm.

I did not like One Royal Holiday.  I stuck it out because of the Broadway stars but there was far too little singing given how good Laura and Aaron's voices are.  And I don't think Aaron's prince smiled very much in the movie.  I do know they tried to portray him as having a dry wit but he just came off as too sullen for me. 

I haven't watched One Royal Holiday yet, and it's for the most shallow reason: Aaron Tveit's awful hair cut/style/whatever that is. It's all I can see when I watch a commercial. I love him, but that hair is horribly distracting. (I will admit, I'm not a fan of longer hair on men.)

Now Cranberry Lane I really enjoyed. Nikki DeLoach and Benjamin Ayres are two of my reliable favorites, so I figured I would like it at least for them, and you're right, @Irlandesa--they had wonderful chemistry. I totally bought them as a married couple with issues who could fix those issues. And that's what I liked about the movie itself; it had a more adult theme to it, and everyone worked this out like mature adults. I will watch this one again, for sure.

I do have a question--does anyone know who played Nikki's grandma? I would swear it's Christine Willes (who played Dolores "HerBigBrownEyes" Herbig from Dead Like Me and has been in many other Canadian movies) with white hair. But IMDB only lists Nikki, Ben, and the woman who played Pamela Franks. I didn't catch Christine's name in the credits, but they flash by so fast and I didn't record it.

Now on to tonight, which is the Tyler Hynes movie. Very excited to see this! Even if it's not great, doesn't matter; good or bad, I can watch him in anything.

Edited by kirinan
2 hours ago, kirinan said:

I haven't watched One Royal Holiday yet, and it's for the most shallow reason: Aaron Tveit's awful hair cut/style/whatever that is. It's all I can see when I watch a commercial. I love him, but that hair is horribly distracting. (I will admit, I'm not a fan of longer hair on men.)

Ha. I'm the same way. I was disappointed with Eion's longer hair in Deliver By Christmas also. I made a reference earlier in the thread to the two of them, based on the previews, and I wondered if they had "quarantine hair" and put off haircuts.

I watched the movie anyway. I mostly enjoyed it but it was slow to warm up to Aaron's character. The seriousness lasted a little too long at first but I did warm up to him and the movie in general as it went on. Loved the queen character. Her humor was great. Deliver by Christmas is my favorite so far. About to start the Cranberry movie. I need to clear out my DVR for the new ones tonight. 

I just watched November Christmas (2010) for the first time—because I figured it didn’t count as starting Christmas movies already, when it is November 1st today— and my goodness what a beautiful movie!  (It is free On Demand.)

I was pretty much tearing up through the whole movie, bawling at some points.  Good acting, great story, happy ending, and actually just what I was looking for today, because it wasn’t really a Christmas movie.  Anyway, needless to say, I’m waiting for my eye swelling to go down a bit before I head to the store!  Definitely a good watch though!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I enjoyed Cranberry Christmas.  I thought Nikki and Ben were really good together and had a nice chemistry.  She is becoming one of the most reliable Hallmark actresses for me in terms of having chemistry with her costars even if she did still have the bangs. I liked the little twist that it was a couple who was already together who was having a struggle rather than a "will they/won't they/of course they will" angle.  IIRC, Nikki had a similar movie two years ago (Reunited at Christmas) that I liked quite a bit that was also about a couple who were already together.  I think I liked it more than most, though, so maybe it'll be the same with this one.  But I did appreciate the approach of a more mature relationship.  I didn't quite understand why she couldn't go to NY one day a week, though.  It'd still allow her to be at the farm.

I completely agree with you. My only real complaint is that the conflict and relationship problems were underdeveloped. Fortunately the actors were good enough to make up for it. 

I’d love to see Hallmark make more movies like this going forward. Particularly if they would let some of the “Hallmark Queens” have more grownup roles. It be refreshing to see Danica or Lacey in something with more depth then what they are making now. 

7 hours ago, kirinan said:

I do have a question--does anyone know who played Nikki's grandma? I would swear it's Christine Willes (who played Dolores "HerBigBrownEyes" Herbig from Dead Like Me and has been in many other Canadian movies) with white hair. But IMDB only lists Nikki, Ben, and the woman who played Pamela Franks. I didn't catch Christine's name in the credits, but they flash by so fast and I didn't record it.

It was Jennifer Higgin. She also reminded me a lot of Christine Willies. 

Edited by Guest

One Royal Holiday is the first Hallmark movie in a couple years that I rewatched the next-day rerun of. I wasn’t as wowed by Anna/James, but I loved Sara/Christopher and Gabriella was such a delight. Plus the black ice scene was hilarious. But I do wish there had been a bit more singing with all that talent. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I loved Sara/Christopher as well.  I wouldn’t mind a sequel focusing on them.  I haven’t been a fan of the idea of Hallmark sequels because I think it’s a mistake to revisit the same couples over and over again which is why I don’t mind the Evergreen sequels.  With that one you get a new couple every time with an appearance of past characters letting you know how they are.  Although the third one in that series bored me.   I prefer that method of sequel which is how a lot of romance novel series are handled.  I really love a good series like Alyssa Cole’s Reluctant Royals or Julia Quinn’s Bridgerton series.  There have been movies where I wouldn’t have minded a sequel where a supporting character becomes the lead.   I still wish we got a sequel to Let It Snow where we finally saw the spoken about but never seen brother who lived in Australia.  A Christmas in Australia movie would be a lovely change of pace but I knew it would never happen even before Covid made international travel risky.   I also wanted to see more of the assistant in Royal Match Maker.  I hope we see the Sara/Christopher actors again.  The actress playing Sara in particular was good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hilarious!!

I am watching Holly and Ivy only for Jeremy Jordan.  I'm sure many of you remember the fun times when we used to rip apart Smash, especially Katharine McPhee, but we loved Jeremy Jordan.  Hallmark advertised Broadway stars for a couple of these shows.  Are they actually going to sing?  I know Broadway has gone dark but I kind of feel sorry for Jeremy and the others for having to appear on these shows.

• Useful 1

Just watched “The Twelfth Date of Christmas” — thoroughly enjoyed it.  Loved the new leading lady — Mallory Jansen — who I’ve never seen before (though from reading about her, she’s had a good career before Hallmark) and Tyler Hynes was as wonderful as ever.  

Twelfth Date was creative, clever, warm, different — a new favorite for me.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Just watched “The Twelfth Date of Christmas” — thoroughly enjoyed it.  Loved the new leading lady — Mallory Jansen — who I’ve never seen before (though from reading about her, she’s had a good career before Hallmark) and Tyler Hynes was as wonderful as ever.  

Totally agree! I would go so far as to say this is my favorite Tyler Hynes movie so far. I liked Mallory Jansen very much. They had great chemistry, and I liked that they allowed her to be bright and competent with the right amount of human insecurities. The story was good without the trumped-up relationship drama, and best of all Tyler got to be snarkier than usual in this one, which is absolutely his wheelhouse, IMO. Oh, and I loved, loved, loved him with his little niece. And when he was waiting for Jennifer on the terrace at the end? Swoon. I think this one will have a long-term spot on my DVR so I can watch it again (and again). Home run, Hallmark!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I just started watching this one and I’m so glad it seems to be good. It’s one I was really looking forward to because I loved Mallory Jansen in Galavant and Agents of Shield and Tyler Hynes is one of my favorites. I’m still irritated he was stuck with Kellie Pickler last year. 

I agree about The Twelfth Date of Christmas.  I had low expectations for the movie based on the concept. I thought it was going to be one of the Hallmark movies where they just did Christmas things but without a cohesive plot or characters with personalities.  In fact, part of the reason I started watching it was because I thought I'd be able to fast forward.

I was very happy to be wrong.  The whole idea of the scavenger hunt game was preposterous.  Utterly preposterous.  But whatever, the chemistry was good, the sarcasm was great and the lead female character was especially well-rounded. 

1 hour ago, MerBearHou said:

Loved the new leading lady — Mallory Jansen — who I’ve never seen before (though from reading about her, she’s had a good career before Hallmark)

About five minutes in, I said to myself that I absolutely loved this actress.  The script probably was better than actors usually get with these movies but I still felt she was doing work to add dimensions and layers to the character.  She played the Christmas obsession more as a quirk to her personality than a personality trait which defined her.  She felt believable as a successful woman who also had some insecurities about demanding her work be recognized. 

So then I looked to see who it was because she was so good and she was kind of familiar to me.  As soon as I saw her name, I remembered her as the queen from Galavant.  She was terrific there too--albeit a total bitch of a character.

1 hour ago, susannot said:

I'm sure many of you remember the fun times when we used to rip apart Smash, especially Katharine McPhee, but we loved Jeremy Jordan.

#TeamIvy forever.

Speaking of Ivy (look how Hallmark did its nice little segue for us), I was looking forward to Holly and Ivy because it had a touch heavier subject matter than we'd normally get for Hallmark.  It had such potential but it was let down by its script.  There was so much cringe in how they though they were up-to-date with their library knowledge and yet had her go library-to-library applying for work.  I ended up going down a Galavant YouTube hole about half way through the movie. 

But I still felt a little moved at the very end with the one-year later flash forward.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

My favorite SNL Hallmark parody:

I will watch this every time someone references it.  I must have watched it 10 times when it first aired.   "Canadian Handsome"  "He works too much anyways, so it's ok if I cheat on him."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, VartanFan said:

I will watch this every time someone references it.  I must have watched it 10 times when it first aired.   "Canadian Handsome"  "He works too much anyways, so it's ok if I cheat on him."

We got him to be in two of these, for no pay!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Dani said:

I’m still irritated he was stuck with Kellie Pickler last year. 

I will never forgive them for this.  It was on as a rerun at my mother-in-law’s house the other day and even muted, she’s a terrible actress.

In 12 Dates, that woman was supposed to be her GRANDmother?  You don’t just put a chain on glasses to make someone the grandmother.  I dont’ feel like she was nearly old enough to be cast as the grmother.  

• Love 2
On 10/25/2020 at 10:48 AM, kirinan said:

Darn it, I missed Jingle Bell Bride. Well, good thing Hallmark shows their movies a hundred times a season, so I can catch it. I'm glad to hear you all liked it.

I did get to the TV in time to watch Christmas Tree Lane, though, and I have to say I liked it. Basically the same old plot, but it made me feel good enough that I'm handwaving the little things I would normally roll my eyes at (there were several) and counting it as a win. And Alicia Witt didn't annoy me, another win. Although I'm wondering if that was actually her singing at the very end; her voice has always seemed a bit thin to me, but that voice was beautiful, along with the song she sang. Plus, of course, Andrew Walker. He always raises things several notches for me.

I always felt the same way, that Alicia’s voice was a little...err...  ”Thin” is a great way to put it.  I just finished Christmas Tree Lane, and her performances actually did nothing to change that opinion for me.  I wasn’t impressed 😬. Liked the movie okay though.

• Love 1

Really enjoyed The Twelfth Date, too. Actually watched the whole movie. Rarely make it much past 20 minutes with most Hallmark movies. Appreciated that before the closing kiss, after five days of interactions, the couple proclaimed their like for each other.

Also appreciated the female lead's comment about her heavily Yule-themed office ... something to the effect that she only decorates it like that during the Christmas season, because if she left it like that all year long, it wouldn't be special anymore.

Something Hallmark might consider with their twelve months of Christmas movies schedule.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Thanks for the recommendation everyone- I enjoyed Jingle Bell Bride. Julie Gonzalo is one of my favorite leading ladies and the lead actor was also enjoyable. And yay for big city winning out over small Alaskan town! I still don’t understand the ridiculous bedrooms with all the Christmas trees and lights. It’s like Christmas threw up in there! 

Looking forward to The Twelfth Date of Christmas because Tyler Hynes is great in everything and am still mad at Hallmark for putting him in a movie with Kellie Pickler because I refuse to watch anything with her in it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Another thing that I wanted to add re: Christmas Tree Lane is that I thought it was a nice change that both leads loved Christmas.  Andrew Walker's "business man" character would normally be the character who is Scroogy about Christmas, because his dad died, and Santa didn't bring him rollerblades when he was a kid, and he found out Santa wasn't real, and it was actually that his mom couldn't make ends meet now that Dad passed, and couldn't afford to buy him the rollerblades; contrasting Alicia's character who loves! Christmas.

It was refreshing that they were both allowed to like Christmas, even though he is a big business man, backed up with business projects! 

Edited by Miss Bones
  • Love 1

Just re-watching my recording of he One Royal Holiday movie, and wanted to share that when I looked up Aaron Tveit, I learned that a couple of years ago when they did a "live" production of Grease on network TV, with Julianne Hough as Sandy, Aaron Tveit was a 30'ish Danny Zuko!  There are a lot of photos of him in that production, going all John Travolta in a black t-shirt.  If you want to check it out, it'll help minimize the stuffiness of the early Prince James character.  The guy's got some range in acting!  

Also the Queen has some very hefty Broadway credits.  Really, they should all have burst into song for at least one actual number. 

• Love 1

I also loved Twelve Dates of Christmas, and while the scavenger hunt didn't totally make sense (those people were doing all 12 "dates" in one afternoon??), it looked like fun to create. I don't think "game designer" is a job I've seen on Hallmark before. And the lead didn't leave the city to go back to her small town.

• Love 4

I'm confused by the number of posts regarding either HM or LT Christmas movies here.  I thought these were to be discussed in the Holiday TV Movies thread?  Since I'm one of those Scrooges who just can't deal with 24/7 Christmas movies from 11/ - 12/31, I like knowing there's a place to discuss the non-Christmas movies here on Hallmark

I was always under the impression we can discuss all Hallmark movies, whether they're holiday or not, in this thread. And in the holiday thread, we can discuss only holiday movies, but on any network or streaming service (Hallmark, Lifetime, Ion, UP TV, Netflix, etc.).

However, I may have been under the wrong impression. But that seems to be the way it shakes out in the time I've been here. I hope someone will correct me if I misunderstood.

Edited by kirinan

There have been times where all holiday movie talk was supposed to go in the holiday movies thread. However, I don't think that was ever how it worked in practice. There were also times when people could discuss them in either thread.  

We're discussing it right now and will offer clarification.

• Love 1

I thought it was decided last year that it was ok to discuss the Hallmark Christmas movies in this thread because so many of us don't watch the other networks. Nothing against Lifetime, but I stick to Hallmark because juggling multiple channels with similar movies is more work than I want to put into background noise viewing. 

• Love 2