Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just love the philosophical gobbledegook in Romance at Reindeer Lodge.

"You know, life is a lot like Christmas.  We've got all this family tradition but then new ones come along"

"Home isn't a place.  It's where the heart is"

Just make it STOP

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Camille said:

And that had to be the absolute worst example of the Fourth Date Marriage trope that always comes up. The woman herself seems to lampshade this when she assures his girlfriend that she isn't competition because she's only known the king for about five days, but indeed, he's proposing to her a day or two after that. 

There's no proposal in Crown For Christmas. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

There's no proposal in Crown For Christmas. 

My mistake. They're still in love in a ridiculously short period of time.

I caught the promos for their winter movies. I think one was called "A Winter Romance".

Isn't that what they ALL are? It's like naming a restaurant "The Restaurant".

Edited by Camille
  • LOL 7
11 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

If they had not removed A New Year's Resolution (with Michael Rady and Aimee Teegarden) from the December 28th slot, I think they would have aired the Winterfest Preview as a separate, standalone special immediately after it ended (which was the original plan).

I am still bitter that they removed this movie from the line up. It seems like the movies I am most interested in get removed. Are they showing up on the app? 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I am still bitter that they removed this movie from the line up. It seems like the movies I am most interested in get removed. Are they showing up on the app? 

They didn't put A New Year's Resolution on the Hallmark Movies Now streaming service, nor on their Hallmark Channel Everywhere app, nor any other place.  Unless there was some sort of issue they encountered in post-production, then it seems to be another one of those mysterious cases in which they just randomly decided to pull an announced movie from the schedule close to when it was going to premiere.  

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

I'd love some new spins on the formula...like a young girl leaves her small town with limited jobs and options to move to a city with more opportunity.  She learns about life, love and work in the big city while the love interest learns to stop to enjoy lifw..both people balance one another out..and the movie ends with them agreeing to go on a date in the new year. 

Or a family movie where both parents lose their jobs due to out sourcing..and the family bands together to make tthe holidays memorable and weather the latest storm.   Hallmark will never do this since they out source their productions to Canada

• Love 6

All I want to say is FU Hallmark channel.  Once a year we get the Rose Bowl parade, and Hallmark screws it up by putting on nearly full screen promos for their Winterfest movies, blocking the sight and sounds of the various bands.  This is even more galling to me because my alma mater, Wisconsin, is at the Rose Bowl, and when they were showing the marching band, up pops the damn promo, and the announcers voice telling us about the movies and who stars in them.  And then a few minutes later, a local high school band marches by and there’s the same freaking pop up.  Parents of the kids in the band are probably looking to see their kids and hear their music but it isn’t happening because of Hallmark’s self promotion.  

This isn’t the only time Hallmark screwed up with their promos.  From the very beginning of their Christmas movies on HH&M, they superimposed a huge ornament to tout their new movies.  Problem was, the thing was so large that it blocked the faces of the actors.  This didn’t stop until Hallmark was trashed on social media.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, redpencil said:

I had no idea Hallmark even showed the parade. Don't most people just watch it on network tv? (Side note, I was in the parade in high school, and bought a video of it. Assume that's still an option.)

I have no idea what goes on in other states, but here in (Southern) California there are usually at least a couple of different channels on which to watch the Rose Parade.  At one point years ago, I think the parade was being shown on 4 or 5 channels in L.A. alone -- some local channels and also a couple of major networks.  Maybe other states don't have multiple options?   I'm honestly not sure,  I've never needed to watch the parade on the Hallmark Channel if I wanted to watch it at all, but I guess it comes in handy for those folks who don't get to see the parade on any other channel. 

Hallmark is usually just getting the parade stream from another network most of the time -- there are no Hallmark people actually at the scene, covering it, that I am aware of -- but that won't stop them from advertising their own channel's programming.   I'm not a fan of the oversized graphics on the screen (especially if one is not watching on a large TV), but they do that kind of thing every year.  The graphics change, but they always do it. 

Edited by TVFan17

The parade was on a network channel in my area ((MI) but Hallmark had an hour long "countdown to the parade" before it started.  I bet it was teeming with commercials and talking heads by their C list "stars".

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

The parade was on a network channel in my area ((MI) but Hallmark had an hour long "countdown to the parade" before it started.  I bet it was teeming with commercials and talking heads by their C list "stars".

We are having a war between Fios and different network channels, so our viewing choices were limited.  Fios cut five stations at midnight last night. 

On 12/31/2019 at 9:02 PM, Camille said:

I caught the promos for their winter movies. I think one was called "A Winter Romance".

Isn't that what they ALL are? It's like naming a restaurant "The Restaurant".

I definitely remember Erin Krakow being in a movie in July or August that was called "A Summer Romance."  There are only four seasons, Hallmark and you've now used up two.  Of course I guess you could always get more specific and go with "A September Romance" or "An April 18th Romance."  In fact, go with the latter, because it only takes your characters one day to fall in love anyway.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

There are only four seasons, Hallmark and you've now used up two. 

Technically, they used all of them, as they have plenty of movies set during the spring and fall. They just don't label them as such.

Speaking of Erin Krakow, does anyone notice how many movies an actress/actor has been in? Lacey Chabert has been in 8, I think.

Edited by Camille
20 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

This isn’t the only time Hallmark screwed up with their promos.  From the very beginning of their Christmas movies on HH&M, they superimposed a huge ornament to tout their new movies.  Problem was, the thing was so large that it blocked the faces of the actors.  This didn’t stop until Hallmark was trashed on social media.

I can't stand their relentless promos. Not two seconds after their Christmas marathon starts, they start hyping the winter movies, you know damn well they're going to start previewing the Valentine's Day stuff soon, then those will be marred by them hyping the spring stuff, by May it will be for both Christmas in July and their actual Christmastime marathon, etc.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Camille said:

Technically, they used all of them, as they have plenty of movies set during the spring and fall. They just don't label them as such.

Speaking of Erin Krakow, does anyone notice how many movies an actress/actor has been in? Lacey Chabert has been in 8, I think.

I meant with the titling.  As far as I know there is not yet "A Spring Romance" or "A Fall/Autumn Romance" but it's probably only a matter of time.  

And yeah, both Erin and Lacey are Hallmark queens.  I've always found it interesting the actors/actresses who *don't* become queens -- Meghan Ory comes to mind.  I'm sure she could be a queen if she wanted to but she seems to like doing Chesapeake Shores and that's it.  I just checked her filmography and she's been in one regular Hallmark movie and one mystery.  Compare that with her CS co-stars Brendan Penny and Jesse Metcalfe who pop up in movies all the time.

Edit: because I meant Brendan Penny, not Ryan Paevy.  Though he shows up all the time too.

Edited by dubstepford wife
  • Love 2

Okay, these February/Love Ever After/Valentine movie premiere dates are all tentative and could change at the drop of a hat, as we know:

February 1st - A Valentine's Match (Bethany Joy Lenz/Luke Macfarlane)

February 8th - Matching Hearts (Taylor Cole/Ryan Paevey)

February 15th - The Secret Ingredient (Erin Cahill/Brendan Penny)

February 22nd - Love in Store (Alexandra Breckenridge/Robert Buckley)

February 29th - Bad Date Chronicles (Merritt Patterson/Justin Kelly - this movie was filmed in 2016 and aired on the PixL channel in 2017, so I don't know why Hallmark is using this as one of their Saturday night premieres, when it was not made for Hallmark) 

The first 3 movies are definite Valentine-themed installments.

I'll post the new February mystery dates I found in the dedicated Hallmark Mystery thread.

Edited by TVFan17

So in other words.. business as usual.

I do wonder if all the drama/backlash this holiday season might have an effect later this year with the 2020 holiday slate of movies?

Another holiday themed movie I'd love to see is someone getting stranded in a Christmas obsessed town.. they remark at how creepy it is to be obsessed with Christmas 24/7.. and maybe have it be because of trying to deny a sad reality of economic downfall... and the moral of the story is it's ok to have hope and optimism, but there is a time and place for it.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, dubstepford wife said:

I I've always found it interesting the actors/actresses who *don't* become queens -- Meghan Ory comes to mind.  I'm sure she could be a queen if she wanted to but she seems to like doing Chesapeake Shores and that's it.

I also find it interesting that Alicia Witt has done 7 Hallmark Christmas moves - behind only Lacey Chabert and Candice Cameron Bure with 8 each, but only one Hallmark non-Christmas movie 10 years ago.  I wonder if that is her choice or theirs.

• Love 3

Is anyone else astounded that they are going to keep airing Xmas movies every Thursday (HM&M) and Friday (Hallmark) for the rest of the year?? They must really want their audience to get sick of them by the time summer rolls around. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

Is anyone else astounded that they are going to keep airing Xmas movies every Thursday (HM&M) and Friday (Hallmark) for the rest of the year?? They must really want their audience to get sick of them by the time summer rolls around. 

They're doing that again? I thought they were only doing that last year because it was the 10th anniversary of the Christmas movie marathon. So this is going to be SOP from now on?

Yes, they must secretly want people to get sick of them. I'm actually quite surprised people aren't exhausted. They start from late October (and keep pushing the start date back every year) and don't stop until early January, plus Christmas In July, which itself is starting earlier each year.

It used to be cute and sweet. Now it's out of control and like someone else posted, it's essentially the same movie everytime.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 5
On 1/1/2020 at 3:21 PM, TVFan17 said:

I'm not a fan of the oversized graphics on the screen (especially if one is not watching on a large TV)

What’s particularly galling about this is if you’re hearing impaired, when the graphics come up in the middle of the screen, it covers the captioning.  I’ve looked and I’m not able to move the location of the captioning on my TV so it is just obnoxious.  Especially the moving graphics.  If they were stationary, I am a bit better to read through them .  
Makes me want to slap someone.  

Edited by Callietwo
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Shorty186 said:

No.  Not astounded.  They did this in 2019 too.  There are also going to be Wednesday night movies on the Hallmark Drama channel.   I, personally, would not choose to show the Christmas movies throughout the year if I were running a network.  I would save the movies for Christmas in July and for the last 2 months of the year.  I would want to give viewers more of a reason to want to stay on my channel(s) during the Countdown to Christmas and Miracles of Christmas marathons later in the year.

But they did it in 2019 and I guess they saw some sort of benefit to it.

Right now, World War 3 and WWIII are trending on Twitter, so worrying about when Christmas movies air is not at the top of my list of priorities.  If they bring some people joy, it doesn't matter to me. I just won't watch the movies if I don't want to.  But there are more important things in life to be concerned with. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

So in other words.. business as usual.

I do wonder if all the drama/backlash this holiday season might have an effect later this year with the 2020 holiday slate of movies?

Another holiday themed movie I'd love to see is someone getting stranded in a Christmas obsessed town.. they remark at how creepy it is to be obsessed with Christmas 24/7.. and maybe have it be because of trying to deny a sad reality of economic downfall... and the moral of the story is it's ok to have hope and optimism, but there is a time and place for it.

I totally want to write this story. If I do, I promise you get co-writer credits, JAYJAY.

• Love 3

Looking at the ratings for the 2019 Christmas movies, Candice Cameron Bure once again had highest rated movie - Christmas Town.  She has done that for 5 out of last 6 years, only missing out in 2018.  But Christmas Town only had 3.91 million viewers compared to the 2018 leader Christmas at Graceland which had 4.66 million viewers.

For HMM movies, Kellie Martin and Colin Ferguson's Christmas In Montana led with 1.75 million, which was down from 2018 leader Once Upon A Christmas Miracle with 2.15 million.

I wonder if Hallmark is going to try to do anything to stop the ratings slide or if the increased competition is going to continue to eat away at it's ratings.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, mikeb said:

I wonder if Hallmark is going to try to do anything to stop the ratings slide or if the increased competition is going to continue to eat away at it's ratings.

If they continue to refuse to address the issues now flooding the news and on social media, the decline will continue I imagine. They all bore me to tears anyway and I'm sick of lack of diversity in both actors and story lines.  There has to be a whole lot of potential viewers who will eschew watching due to the all white casts.

• Love 3

I feel like there needs to be more context to the drop in ratings (which I don't have). For example, how does it compare to Lifetime movies? How does it compare to other cable programming? How much of it is due to cord-cutting vs. being Hallmark-specific? The raw viewers doesn't really tell us that.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, redpencil said:

I feel like there needs to be more context to the drop in ratings (which I don't have). For example, how does it compare to Lifetime movies? How does it compare to other cable programming? How much of it is due to cord-cutting vs. being Hallmark-specific? The raw viewers doesn't really tell us that.

Yeah.  As much as I'd like to point to the controversies, considering the overall trends in television ratings, I agree that there needs to be more context.

• Love 2

It helps to put things in perspective too.  I see a lot of "Hallmark's ratings dropped" comments here and there, as if that's such a crippling thing -- but their individual movies were never gaining ratings like, for example, a Walking Dead episode at the peak of The Walking Dead.  Hallmark's movies have always been kind of low-rated, relative to certain series' episodes and other types of programming on other channels.   Hallmark's best ratings are good in the world of Hallmark, but not necessarily good compared to what's happening on other networks.  They were the main players in the Christmas movie game for a while, but other networks stepping up the number/volume of their own new movies is bound to put a dent in Hallmark's audience.

But even The Oscars has had big dips in ratings over the years, relative to previous ratings for that show, and yet it still airs, like clockwork, every year on ABC.

Also take, for example, the critically acclaimed series Breaking Bad -- considered by many people (myself included) to be one of the all-time greatest series, or at least one of the greatest of the last 15 years.  If you go back and look at what kinds of ratings BB had in the beginning seasons, you'll see the ratings were not exactly amazing. 

Even the BB Season 4 finale -- a fantastic episode called Face Off, which is one of the most talked about, well-known episodes of the entire series -- did not get good ratings (I think I read 1.9 million viewers, which was actually an increase over Season 3!), and yet people still vividly remember that episode to this day.  That was 4 seasons into the series and it still wasn't consistently pulling in great ratings.  Of course, in the final season, the ratings started getting better, and the series finale in 2013 got very high ratings, relative to some of its other episodes.

Every series, annual special or event will see increases and decreases in ratings - until it just reaches a point where the network no longer sees whatever it is as a financially viable endeavor.   Another channel (Lifetime) suddenly putting out 30 Christmas movies and ramping up the promotion is going to attract some viewers.  I don't think that Lifetime Christmas movie viewers and Hallmark movie viewers are totally different audiences.  Some people may stick only with Hallmark, and some may stick only with Lifetime -- but, truthfully, there are a lot of viewers who jump back and forth between both networks.  Lifetime's 30 movies were going to get people interested and curious, so it was bound to pull some viewers away from Hallmark, whether or not Lifetime's movies were any good.   I also think that more households have the Lifetime network than, say, the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel, so Lifetime would probably do better than HMM on at least some nights, if not all.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's Winter in Vail movie because Tyler Hynes is always a delight!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, redpencil said:

In the ratings compared to other cable networks they are still doing well. Fewer people are watching but that’s true across the board.  In the past they were in the unusual situation of growing their audience while everyone else was declining. Even if that is leveling out or declining slightly they are still in a really good position.

I do think Hallmark needs to be serious about making changes to adjust to changing viewing habits. My guess is that last year was the peak and if they’re not careful they could find themselves in a steady decline in the coming years. 

As far as I’ve seen the most important aspect of the ratings have not been considered yet. One of the reasons Hallmarks has done so well in previous years is that they dominate among women. Those numbers are probably more important than the overall number of viewers. 

I just watched Christmas in Rome, which I had DVR'd the first night it was on. It wasn't bad. Not my favorite, but I could see watching it again. I like Sam Page, and I can handle Lacey Chabert, even if she's not one of my favorite actresses. Nice scenery, too.

I still have four or five of the movies I wanted to see this year left on the DVR, and one from last year's Lifetime lineup, but I'm in no hurry to watch them. It will be a nice feeling not to be inundated with the holidays anymore. 

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, kirinan said:

It will be a nice feeling not to be inundated with the holidays anymore. 

It's definitely nice to have a break from the holiday movies and switch to a different movie theme for a little while, see some different settings that aren't Christmasy, and get back into the mysteries, etc.   The Winterfest movies provide a very distinct backdrop, in the middle of all of the ice and snow.   The scenery is a big draw for the Winter movies.

Once Hallmark segues into the February movies, the actual authentic scenery is no longer all that interesting, and they have to rely on the abundance of pink, white and red Valentine decorations strewn about in the background (like in office cubicles, on kitchen cabinets, etc.), or the leading ladies wearing Valentine-ish colors!  And baking -- there must be baking or chocolate or something sweet in February and March. 

I don't think anyone bakes during Winterfest because they're too busy skiing and romping in the snow.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

At the same time they stop baking and decorating cookies.

lol, but---wait!  Don't they do that for every holiday?  And now that I think about it, maybe hot chocolate is still on the menu.  Valentine's Day = chocolate   February = still time for a major (fake) snowstorm.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

February = still time for a major (fake) snowstorm.

Sure, even with green leaves on every tree and bush and flowers blooming there is still time for a major (fake) snowstorm.  With enough snow to ground all air traffic and force strangers to travel together.  Even in July.

• LOL 4
10 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

How bad is Christmas in Evergreen: Tidings of Joy?

I just switched over to today's news on cable.

What I meant was, it was THAT bad.

Big City Person to the citizens of Evergreen:  "You mean you're not faking all this love for Christmas?"

Winter in Vail or It Came From Outer Space on Svengoolie?

It's probably the same movie.

Strudelfest!  (shudder!)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I spoke too soon about the lack of baking in Winterfest movies.  I should have known that, no matter the theme of the movie, if Lacey Chabert is in it, there will be baking or creating sweet treats of some sort!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Was Winter in Vail as good as I thought it was? I realized tonight that I absolutely cannot be objective about Tyler Hynes, so I don’t know if it was really good or if his ridiculously charming performance just overcame any weaknesses. I agree, he and Lacey Chabert had tons of chemistry, and I enjoyed every minute of it. 

But I may need to watch it once or twice or 20 more times to be sure...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

I apologize to everyone who liked Winter in Vail.

But I was laughing my head off.

Chabert needs to stock up on provisions for the Vail chalet that her deceased Uncle Grady (he of strudel fame; it was the best in town) has left her so she heads for a small grocery store and is instantly baffled by the appearance of a German food section.  It takes a friendly waitress dressed in a dirndl to tell Lacey where the American goods are located.

Tyler Hynes comes by at 6 a.m. to start on repairs at the chalet.  You'd think at that hour he'd be given a cup of coffee but this is Hallmark.  Chabert offers him hot chocolate.

And then there's Strudelfest!!

During commercials, to keep my sanity and brain afloat, I switched over to Investigation Discovery and the Jodi Arias trial.

• LOL 6

I just want to point out that, a few seconds before Winter in Vail began, some sort of Hallmark promo popped up in which they were showing quick snippets of their movies.  And they showed 2 or 3 super-fast shots of the Aimee Teegarden-Michael Rady movie that never aired - A New Year's Resolution!   It seems as though they must have put together that clip promo a while back, before they removed the movie from the schedule, and just didn't edit out those shots from the ad.  Either that, or they are still planning on airing it this month and we don't know it yet.

Oh, and kirinan - I enjoyed Winter in Vail too, although Tyler's presence adds a lot to any movie he is in.  He is so naturally funny and sarcastic, which I like.  (He was on Twitter throughout the entire East Coast showtime of the movie -- he might even still be there now, through the West Coast showtime -- tweeting along and sharing pictures and videos, so he was keeping everyone interested in the story.)  The combination of lovely Canadian and Colorado scenery worked well too.  The real snow was nice. 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I thought Winter in Vail was the snowy version of Love on Safari.   Lacey inherits a property from an uncle she hasn't seen in years.  It takes her away from her job where she's unappreciated anyway.  Property seems like a mess until local guy convinces her otherwise.   Community loves her, she grows to love said property and stays.   Take out the giraffes, add snow (and of course, hot chocolate), it's the same movie.

Also, Lacey was on Home and Family last week and they were making those filled and gold-dusted chocolate balls that got dropped into the hot chocolate.   Seems like a lot of work for something that just instantly melts into floating mini marshmallows.

Edited by Suzysite
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I apologize to everyone who liked Winter in Vail.

But I was laughing my head off.

My eyeballs almost rolled out of my head.  Every single sad repetitive trope - hot chocolate, big city girl saves failing small town business, baking, ice skating, hunky man poised to save her, blah, blah, blah.

25 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

Take out the giraffes, add snow (and of course, hot chocolate), it's the same movie.

Precisely!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

My eyeballs almost rolled out of my head.  Every single sad repetitive trope - hot chocolate, big city girl saves failing small town business, baking, ice skating, hunky man poised to save her, blah, blah, blah.

Yep.

Although Uncle Grady's strudel didn't win first prize!  Hallmark went rogue!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

Caught the last 20 min of Winter in Vail, and it was my first trip to Tyler Hynes Town.  And, uhhhh.. I'm definitely going back there.  Charmed to discover he played Demi Brooke (John&Meg's son) on a 1998/9 TV version of Little Men.

He is the first Hallmark leading man I've seen since Rupert P-J (pause to swoon) be spontaneous onscreen.  That dance together was adorable.

Plus I even loved Lacey's "What good is a view if you can't see the stars?"  Niiiiiiiiice.

I mean, it's no "You had me at 'sewing kit' ", but it's a cozy second.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, voiceover said:

Caught the last 20 min of Winter in Vail, and it was my first trip to Tyler Hynes Town.  And, uhhhh.. I'm definitely going back there.  

He is swoon worthy.  He’s so good I’ve watched the recent Kelly Pickler one.  I tolerated her just to see him.  His facial expressions at times were hilarious.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:19 PM, Bronx Babe said:

lol, but---wait!  Don't they do that for every holiday?  And now that I think about it, maybe hot chocolate is still on the menu. 

To be fair, it’s not always hot chocolate.  Sometimes it’s hot cocoa. </snark>

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I watched Winter in Vail last night. It was lovely.  Yes, it's the same movie as Love on Safari, but I don't care. Tyler Hines is fabulous. I love his snarky smoldery thing and Lacey was the right amount of stunningly beautiful and charming.  It worked for me. I laughed out loud a couple of times at certain lines, and smiled when they got together at the end. Those two things make a perfect movie for me.

Then I watched the new Crossword Mystery.  It was good, too, but I don't like the sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow play on the romance.  Normal adults don't move that slow, so it seems so awkward and strange. There's no way he wouldn't have already asked her out.  They need to be dating and moving forward.  There would still be romantic tension and yet it would seem more normal, at least to me.  But whatever, I'll keep watching. lol

• Useful 1
  • Love 3