Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

My one quibble about My Scottish Christmas is that they get peerage so  wrong.  And I know they get royal things wrong all the time but both brother and sister can't hold the title. 

If Scott's character is going to assume the title with his wife as his duchess, that's it.  He's the oldest and it'd naturally go to him.  Lacey's character doesn't get to stay there and also be a duchess.  She may have some other kind of title or honorific but not duchess. 

And no one is getting a title until the mother dies.

Not that I watched the movie, my love of Party of Five notwithstanding…but I’m guessing the folks who made the movie hoped/guessed Americans are too ignorant of how the nobility “works” so were confident they could insert this into the story.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

My one quibble about My Scottish Christmas is that they get peerage so  wrong.  And I know they get royal things wrong all the time but both brother and sister can't hold the title. 

If Scott's character is going to assume the title with his wife as his duchess, that's it.  He's the oldest and it'd naturally go to him.  Lacey's character doesn't get to stay there and also be a duchess.  She may have some other kind of title or honorific but not duchess. 

And no one is getting a title until the mother dies.

Yeah, there was a completely fictional version of peerage.  First, the rules of primogeniture still stand; so the uncle was always first in line to be Duke when their father died; the mother’s choice to run off to California with her boyfriend didn’t change anything.  Also, it has been a very long time since peers were forced to follow strict rules as to their education, occupation and who they marry.  Back when the mother was growing up; attending college, becoming a professional musician, even marrying an American and living like a hippie was not at all out of the question.  The days of arranged marriages and genteel lives for the Duke's daughters have been over for some time.

For example, Christopher Guest, Jamie Lee Curtis' husband is a Baron who can properly be referred to as Lord Guest.  Yet, he was a professional comedian and actor.  If one of the stars of This is Spinal Tap can be a Baron, there is no reason the daughter of a Duke couldn't move to California and sing.

In the movie, when the uncle died, the mother automatically became Duchess since her brother had no children and there were no other siblings.  Doesn’t matter if she wanted the title or not.

As Duchess, I believe the mother could decline the position sort of like an abdication; but she doesn’t have power to hand it over.to whomever she wants; there are rules to be followed.  The son would automatically be next in line after his mother. His wife is automatically  a Duchess if/when he becomes Duke. The sister doesn’t get to be Duchess; it’s not a thing that can be handed around like a box of crackerjack for everyone to share.  The daughter might be called Lady Whatever, but she is not a Duchess.  Once they had their baby, that child is next in line and his sister moves down the ladder. If they eventually have a son, he bumps his older sister out of the top spot.

I still liked the movie though. I liked the fact that it was more a family story than a romance.  The scenery as well as the bits and pieces of Scottish history and customs was also interesting.

Edited by Notabug
way too many typos
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I’m guessing the folks who made the movie hoped/guessed Americans are too ignorant of how the nobility “works” so were confident they could insert this into the story.

I'd have to think they'd know that most of their viewers have likely read a Victorian romance or two in their lifetimes.  Or watched Bridgerton.

It irritated me about the titles so I decided it was all taking place in an alternate universe where titles are handed out to whoever wants them.
Having said that it was a fun little movie I enjoyed watching.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 11/14/2023 at 1:38 PM, voiceover said:

Rewatched Nine Lives of Christmas for the *ahem time.  It’s a jewel.  Brandon & Kim have such great chem that it was easy to handwave what happened between this and the sequel, just to get them back onscreen together.

IIRC, this was the first Hallmark movie I watched — or it might’ve been Christmas Detour — either way, I was lured right in to the channel.

Same here although, I know for a fact A Christmas Detour was my very first Hallmark movie I ever watched. My sister had given me a list of Hallmark movies that I just "had to watch" and the first one I chose to watch was the CCB and Paul Greene movie. I was SOLD on the  Hallmark Channel and do watch all year round. 

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 2
On 11/20/2023 at 11:59 AM, Miss Bones said:

Thanks! I thought that was Hannukah on Rye--which I enjoyed--but there have been a few of the Hannukah movies that I have liked, so I wasn't positive if that was the one I was thinking of.  Regarding Niall Matter, I had forgotten that I actually did enjoy him in one of his more recent (non-Christmas) movies Rip in Time.  That one kind of made me rethink my opinion that he was boring, as I found him surprisingly charismatic in that role.  I think his role in the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries is the reason for my thinking he was a boring actor.  He didn't have much chemistry with Candace Cameron Bure...not that I can blame him, as I would find it hard to feign love for her, also.

Rip in Time is the movie that made me realize Niall Matter can portray sexy. Youzer! He is on my radar now as a leading man.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Catch Me If You Clause was a lot of fun.  It was a caper-type movie which made it different from the usual.  Luke got to play with his more comedic side and both he and Italia Ricci were adorable in it.

I think it's one I'd watch again if it ever came on.

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Catch Me If You Clause was a lot of fun.  It was a caper-type movie which made it different from the usual.  Luke got to play with his more comedic side and both he and Italia Ricci were adorable in it.

I think it's one I'd watch again if it ever came on.

I don't usually watch Luke Macfarlane's movies—I like him well enough, but he just never seems like that good an actor to me. So I started watching Catch Me If You Claus only because I had my leg up on a pillow (achilles tendon pull) and I couldn't get to the remote to change the channel.

Well, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed this! He and Italia Ricci were so good together. It reminded me of a 1930s-1940s screwball comedy, which I love to watch, and I ended up laughing out loud a lot. Luke played kind of a sweet himbo who came into his own—and he played it well; comedy seems to be his forte IMO—while Italia was sharp and smart, but not bitchy, and she was also great.

I now officially apologize to Luke for my previous dismissal of him. I would watch this again, too!

Edited by kirinan
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1

I'm rewatching The Christmas Train - for the stop in Toledo, they show the skyline of Cleveland. Since they never leave the train station, why not just call it Cleveland or, crazy idea, why not show the actual skyline of Toledo?

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, anniebird said:

I'm rewatching The Christmas Train - for the stop in Toledo, they show the skyline of Cleveland. Since they never leave the train station, why not just call it Cleveland or, crazy idea, why not show the actual skyline of Toledo?

Because it is Hallmark, they think we are too stupid to notice and don't care if we do.

There is never any research done on anything, ever.

• Like 3
On 11/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, Orcinus orca said:

Navigating Christmas was again a chore to slog through even when I zoned out for long periods beginning in the first ten minutes.

For one thing, I cannot tolerate Chelsea Hobbs; she has not changed her mean girl vibe  since the Nine Lives movie so that put me off.  Hallmark has gotten so lax at everything as if we won't notice incongruity - shots of a boat on a perfectly calm sea, Chelsea chewing the scenary pretending to be seasick and ignoring a warning about "heavy seas" (again, with a perfectly flat background) and getting what was clearly a bucket of water thrown at her. 

I’m watching this right now. Although I can sympathize with the being sick, because he slightest movement makes me sick, the water getting her wet was so stupid. There were no big waves to cause that. 😂

I’m not a big fan of the actor who plays the male lead, but I’ll keep watching and give it a chance. 

Just finished A Merry Scottish Christmas and really liked it.  I liked the focus on the family relationships instead of the romance. One of the better movies this year. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Like 1

I just watched my favorite movie so far this Season: Holiday Road.  It had humor, it had me in tears at the end, the characters were fun & each had an emotional back-story, the romance was low key & not the focus of the movie but the 2 Main leads did have chemistry.  I recommend it.

• Like 11
  • Useful 2

During tonight’s rewatch, I thought — not for the first time — of how Mac (A Merry Scottish Christmas) and Lukas (Heidelberg Holiday) are such lovely, low-maintenance love interests!  They kiss their girls early on, are honest about their feelings, and vocal in their support of the heroine’s career path.

Now I do ❤️ me some neurotic, closed-off American men (hey Tyler! hey Paul!), but this season’s EuroLeads have been an eye-opening joy.

• Like 7
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I just watched my favorite movie so far this Season: Holiday Road.  It had humor, it had me in tears at the end, the characters were fun & each had an emotional back-story, the romance was low key & not the focus of the movie but the 2 Main leads did have chemistry.  I recommend it.

I very much agree. The ensemble nature of the movie gave it a great balance of humour and sentiment. I was engaged by every storyline. This will be my favourite of the year, doubt I will find a better one.

They could probably do a Holiday Road sequel with a new cast where the road trip is different. Heck, use the same cast playing different characters. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

It started off a bit meh for me but the more it got going, the more into it I got and the last half hour packs a wallop of emotion. 

I still think Catch Me If You Clause is going to be my favorite but I'm glad I stuck with Holiday Road. The group had a lot of chemistry, although I didn't really feel a lot of romantic chem between the main couple but it didn't matter in the end.   

I also liked Letters To Santa which aired before Holiday Road because I am an absolute sucker for the Parent Trap trope.  I actually thought the parents in this had a lot of chemistry. 

Except both movies were surprisingly emotional and felt more like something that might have aired on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries than Hallmark. 

• Like 6

I was not expecting to like Holiday Road as much as I did. It was really good! It had a lot of heart and humor without being over the top. No weird and predictable last-minute conflicts. Definitely can see it on the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries for future repeats. 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, kirinan said:

I now officially apologize to Luke for my previous dismissal of him. I would watch this again, too!

I felt the same after “Maggie’s Christmas Miracle”.

• Like 1

Holiday Road was a wonderful ensemble movie, the cast with all their little plots of their own issues and blending them.  It had a lot of heart warming moments. 

Dusty at the cemetery made me cry at when the daughter he was going to visit was really her grave.  

Nice of them all showing up in the end for Maya knowing she was home alone.  

• Like 11

I’m always going to give a sequel a try. I mean, I’m one of the few that actually preferred the Nine Kittens of Christmas over the original, but the Haul Out the Holly sequel was not great. I’ll stick with the original. There were some funny bits here and there, but it felt forced and I found myself wrapping presents and not glued to the screen.

• Like 1

I started to tire of it too but I couldn't tell if it was the movie or the fact that it was the second movie of the night*. 

I like a sequel too sometimes.  Not Nine Kittens of Christmas personally but I liked Holiday House 2 more than HH1. 

I agree that there were parts about Haul Out The Holly 2 that worked and other parts that didn't.  I realized that I pretty much loved the parts of the movie that were exclusively focused on the interplay between the characters from the first movie and pretty much hated anything related to the Jolly Johnsons.  The Johnsons were written exclusively as foils and didn't bring much comedy other than the characters from the first movie being various levels of starstruck. I get what they were trying to do but they had way too much screentime and they were super annoying. 

Speaking of that first movie of the night...A Christmas in Nottingham was so-so. I think I might have liked it more if the lead actress were better.  And did they ever explain if she was going to go around the world and teach?  Or was she placed in London?

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

It's not even December yet and I'm.....

405219856_1045755596755290_6047291571129635240_n.jpg

Love this :-)

I saw a FB post the other day which went something like:

Q "What has 15 actors, four settings, two writers, and one plot?"

A "633 Hallmark movies."

... and I continue to watch them (sort of watch, for most), and look forward to the odd one... sometimes a repeat.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Haul out the Holly 2 wasn't bad, it had good moments mostly the last 30 mins especially the proposal, but the new family wasn't funny they were just annoying me to make me hate them. I loved the interaction of original cast but the new family nope.  

Even when they hugged it out instantly at the end, still hated the mother and wanted them gone.  Kid and husband were ok.

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, anniebird said:

I agree with most of this list 

Definitely the first one, a favorite of mine and watched many times.  I wish they would show it again. But that won't happen because it 1) doesn't fit into the formula they strictly adhere to these days, 2) shows drug addiction and prison (gasp), and 3) has the main character commit the crime of breaking into a house (double gasp).  

Nothing but syrupy sweetness and light these days.

PS Loved Patty Duke in that movie.

Edited by Orcinus orca
  • Like 2

A Season for Miracles is my favorite Hallmark Hall of Fame movie (along with The Love Letter) so I'm beyond delighted it topped the list.  Nice that Crown for Christmas got in there, too.  A few others I enjoy, but I confess I don't remember a bunch of those.

For those looking for it, A Season for Miracles is airing on Hallmark Drama next Saturday and also available on Peacock and Pluto.

Agree in the like but not love for Haul out the Holly 2.  The new family was annoyingly over the top. 

Kudos to the costume department as I coveted every one of Melissa Peterman's coats.  Also, I did chuckle at Ellen Travolta giving brother Joey a shout out (I don't even know if the movie she mentioned was real or not, but I thought it was cute). The proposal was sweet.  Even if I didn't love it, I did get a record 5 bingos on my Hallmark Bingo card, though. Hee!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I liked Haul Out the Holly 2...well enough, let's say. Did not like the Jolly Johnsons, who took away from the core cast, who were the reason I loved the first one. The bonkers-ness wasn't there this time. Might watch it again, might not.

One I loved was Holiday Road. At the beginning I was a little iffy, thinking I'd never make it through two hours of the annoying influencer. But she got better, and I enjoyed her story as much as all the others, which was a lot. (Bonus: Warren Christie, who I like so much I even watched that awful CCB Dorothy/Kansas movie for him.) A definite keeper and re-watcher.

I also caught the last hour of Letters to Santa and enjoyed it, so I DVR'd a future showing so I can see the whole thing.

Tonight is the movie I've been looking forward to since I first heard about it this summer, A Biltmore Christmas (time travel, my favorite). Okay, universe, please let it be the best one so far!

• Like 2

Catch Me if You Clause was even more entertaining than its preview (always a welcome surprise when *that happens).  Luke was a goofball hoot and he & Italia had nice chem.  Esp with that smooch session 🤣

I admit to being caught off-guard for the last ten minutes.  The Big Reveal was not at all what I assumed it would be…and after the initial shock, I actually quite liked it.

Looking forward to the Mrs Claus sequel in 2024.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, anniebird said:

I agree with most of this list

Interesting list.  I agree with some of these but I think included some stinkers, IMO. 

3 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

doesn't fit into the formula they strictly adhere to these days

I do think in the past they struck to stick formulas but I haven't felt that way recently.  Some of the movies absolutely still stick to the formula but I think there have been quite a few that don't.  Or shake up the formula in one way or another. 

In fact, just this weekend, Holiday Trip was not just sweetness and light. There was a father who was too hard on his son to the point they were estranged, a workaholic father who missed out on his daughter's life and she's now dead, a single mother who lost primary custody of her daughter and who stole from the older man with a dead daughter.  

Sure it ended happily but so did A Season For Miracles.  

• Like 2

I've actually been holding off until after Thanksgiving so I don't OD on Hallmark Christmas movies.  They've been accumulating on the DVR and I watched my first one last night (Mystery on Mistletoe Lane, which was pretty good).  Except the said "mistletoe" which was just a few sprigs of pine and cedar bound together with juniper berries!

Seriously, Hallmark, if you're going all in on Christmas, and I know it's your thing, then please learn what mistletoe looks like.  Half the time the "mistletoe" is actually holly (however, in their defense, when you do an image search for mistletoe, half the results will also be holly).  Holly has prickly leaves and red berries.  Mistletoe has smooth leaves and white berries, viz.

mistletoe-17430681.jpg

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
On 11/25/2023 at 12:38 AM, Irlandesa said:

also liked Letters To Santa which aired before Holiday Road because I am an absolute sucker for the Parent Trap trope.  I actually thought the parents in this had a lot of chemistry. 

Except both movies were surprisingly emotional and felt more like something that might have aired on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries than Hallmark

I’m watching it right now and I was thinking the same thing ( it seeming like an HM&M movie). Right now I’m struggling with it, but I’ll stick with it based on the positive reviews so far here.

I finished Catch Me If You Claus and really liked it. Luke McFarlane has really grown on me since I first saw him This is one of my favorites this year. 

Edited by DanaMB
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, DanaMB said:

I’m watching it right now and I was thinking the same thing ( it seeing like ban HM&M movie). Right now I’m struggling with it, but I’ll stick with it based on the positive reviews so far here.

I found that I liked the second half of Letters to Santa more than the first, so hopefully you do end up enjoying it. I really liked the male lead. Hopefully he sticks around Hallmark for some other movies. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, EyewatchTV211 said:

I found that I liked the second half of Letters to Santa more than the first, so hopefully you do end up enjoying it. I really liked the male lead. Hopefully he sticks around Hallmark for some other movies. 

I’m glad I stuck with it. I did end up enjoying it. I think the early scenes with the therapist are what turned me off at first. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, kirinan said:

One I loved was Holiday Road. At the beginning I was a little iffy, thinking I'd never make it through two hours of the annoying influencer. But she got better, and I enjoyed her story as much as all the others, which was a lot. (Bonus: Warren Christie, who I like so much I even watched that awful CCB Dorothy/Kansas movie for him.) A definite keeper and re-watcher.

I absolutely loved this one. It was so good -It made me laugh and also tear up. Highly recommend. And now I want to read about the real life events that inspired the movie. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

A Biltmore Christmas: Loved, loved, LOVED it. It was magical and romantic and everything I needed right now. I cried happy tears at the end. Did it have flaws? Perhaps; I wasn’t looking for them. Maybe in the morning I’ll remember them, but tonight, this is far and away my favorite Hallmark movie of the last few years.

Edited by kirinan
  • Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, kirinan said:

A Biltmore Christmas: Loved, loved, LOVED it. It was magical and romantic and everything I needed right now. I cried happy tears at the end. Did it have flaws? Perhaps; I wasn’t looking for them. Maybe in the morning I’ll remember them, but tonight, this is far and away my favorite Hallmark movie of the last few years.

I feel the exact same way.  I was absolutely mesmerized by the story and the setting and Kristoffer and Bethany and “where is this going?”  I don’t remember ever fighting back tears in a Hallmark movie like this one made me feel (won’t spoil), but I’m still moved by it as I type this.  Beautiful and unique and well-acted and my favorite Hallmark movie in ages.  I will watch again and again.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

This long weekend was probably the best slate of Hallmark movies I've seen in a while, as it introduced me to several I would gladly watch again. Thursday's Catch Me If You Claus, Friday's Holiday Road and tonight's A Biltmore Christmas were widely divergent in tone and storyline from each other, and all exceeded expectations in set-up, writing and performances. I'm already thinking about friends and family members to whom I will recommend each of these, based on the person's tastes and preferences in the types of films they enjoy.

• Like 12
59 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

This long weekend was probably the best slate of Hallmark movies I've seen in a while, as it introduced me to several I would gladly watch again. Thursday's Catch Me If You Claus, Friday's Holiday Road and tonight's A Biltmore Christmas were widely divergent in tone and storyline from each other, and all exceeded expectations in set-up, writing and performances. I'm already thinking about friends and family members to whom I will recommend each of these, based on the person's tastes and preferences in the types of films they enjoy.

I actually liked even more, some unexpectedly. I liked Letters to Santa like I mentioned earlier, though not as much as some of the others. And no one has mentioned it, but I also liked Christmas at Notting Hill. I don't think I realized that it was one directed by Ali Liebert. It wasn't necessarily unique, but it was enjoyable. 

I already knew that I was looking forward to later movies after reading the descriptions, as the earlier airing ones didn't sound good. But a few of these were additional surprises. I finally have some to save on my DVR.

• Like 2

I liked a lot about A Biltmore Christmas like the setting, the costumes and the stars.  I didn't love it as much as others here but that's because time travel is not my favorite genre.  I think the last time travel I truly loved was A Journey Back to Christmas mainly because we weren't left with the logistics of someone from the present time joining a past time permanently or someone from a past time joining the present time permanently.  

I did guess the "twist" about his death but I can't help but wonder how a man from the 40s is going to adjust to living 80 years later.  How is he going to get his papers? 

I was also distracted by Kristoffer's makeup which seemed to want to give him a tan but maybe that was the makeup from that time. 

But even though I didn't love it, it did have a magical vibe to it. And seeing Rachel Boston and Wes  Brown was fun. 

Overall, a pretty good group of movies over Thanksgiving.  The only movies I couldn't really watch was today's first movie, Our Christmas Mural.  And I don't think I loved the HMM movie on Wednesday. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
On 11/24/2023 at 6:54 PM, DanaMB said:

I’m watching this right now. Although I can sympathize with the being sick, because he slightest movement makes me sick, the water getting her wet was so stupid. There were no big waves to cause that. 😂

I’m not a big fan of the actor who plays the male lead, but I’ll keep watching and give it a chance. 

Just finished A Merry Scottish Christmas and really liked it.  I liked the focus on the family relationships instead of the romance. One of the better movies this year. 

I found A Merry Scottish Christmas to be a snoozefest. The highlight of the movie for me was Will Kemp's scene. He and Lacey together lit up the screen.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I found A Merry Scottish Christmas to be a snoozefest. The highlight of the movie for me was Will Kemp's scene. He and Lacey together lit us the screen.

I don't watch the royal movies unless one of my favorites is in them, but I've already set the DVR for this Saturday's movie with Will Kemp, A Not So Royal Christmas. I liked A Merry Scottish Christmas a little better than you did, but Will was a breath of fresh air, wasn't he? I'm hoping for another movie with him and Lacey.

• Like 1

A Biltmore Christmas might be my favorite Hallmark movie so far. I love time travel movies but there was something magical about this movie and not just literal magic. I love Bethany Joy Lenz  in everything I've seen her in and I loved the chemistry between BJL and Kristoffer Polaha.

I wish I didn't guess the ending so quickly, as soon as they showed what happened to him on Christmas Eve of the following year (in the past) I told my husband exactly what was going to happen and I was so happy I was right! 

I'll be watching this movie as many times as it's on. This gets a 10 out of 10 for me.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I know I have seen Take Me Back for Christmas with Corey Sevier last year. Why is it that my DVR and IMDb lists this movie as a 2023 production? Am I mistaken about this movie premiering in 2022?

I'm pretty sure it was released this past summer (2023) as part of Christmas in July.  

I’m behind on new movies. I just rewatched a favorite. A Royal Christmas with Lacey Chabert and Jane Seymour. From 2014. Still holds up. Now I’m watching A Fabled Holiday from last year. I like Brooke Dorsay. She’s an aspiring writer who catches up with her childhood friend. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2

I am from North Carolina and have been to the Biltmore House multiple times, so I have been looking forward to the movie for awhile. The house is even more opulent than came across, and it gave only a hint of the grounds.

Time travel isn't my favorite genre, as it tends to give me a headache. But I enjoyed it, and I must confess I teared up at the end. I'll just ignore my pesky realism questions like how someone from the past can function today without a Social Security number or any records.

As a Star Trek fan, it was fun to have Jonathan Frakes in it (plus a tiny bit of Robert Picardo).

• Like 6