Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, twoods said:

Did anyone catch the Vermont movie? Didn't know whether to watch it tonight or something on Netflix. The commercials looked decent.

I did.  And while it wasn't bad in a "I hate it way", I expected more since I like the lead actress.  I think they could have done more interesting things with the premise.  I will wait a few days before going into detail so I don't spoil anyone.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Did anyone catch the Vermont movie? Didn't know whether to watch it tonight or something on Netflix. The commercials looked decent.

I liked it! It was actually the first Halmark movie I didn't turn off 5 minutes in. I hope the rest of the fall themed movies are as watchable!

I liked it! It was actually the first Halmark movie I didn't turn off 5 minutes in. I hope the rest of the fall themed movies are as watchable!

Good to hear!  I recorded it, and hope to watch it soon.  Boy do I miss New England.  Especially in September, which apparently is another summer month in NYC (you'd think I'd stop complaining about this after 16 years, but no).

I've been wondering about the Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies since there are a lot of them and they are always on.  Are there any you guys recommend?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, beadgirl said:

I've been wondering about the Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies since there are a lot of them and they are always on.  Are there any you guys recommend?

This is my favorite Hallmark series.  I think the only movie I didn't really like is the second one (and the story in another one but I don't recall which one that is) but I've otherwise found them heartwarming both with the main cast and with the "mystery" story they're trying to solve. 

As for recommending a specific one, I think I'd maybe recommend the first one?  I remember loving it when it aired and even though the relationships have developed quite a bit more since this one, I feel you'll get a sense as to whether or not you'll like the series of movies.  There are ten movies, including the first one,  They also did one season of a series a year after that first movie but went back to making movie-based stories instead of weekly one-hour stories.

I also really liked Higher Ground about Hurricane Katrina. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I did.  And while it wasn't bad in a "I hate it way", I expected more since I like the lead actress.  I think they could have done more interesting things with the premise.  I will wait a few days before going into detail so I don't spoil anyone.

With you on this. It was so... by the book.  The kids were good. Not too braty or too mature.  I also have a bit of a confusion about the local handsome doctor not having a girlfriend. Side eye at that. 

Don't get your hopes up about pretty fall foliage in the Vermont movie. It was obviously summer when they filmed and they kept moving the same 5 trees from scene to scene to incorporate Autumn.

I read this before I watched and laughed at how perfectly spot-on this was.  

• Love 5
On 9/25/2017 at 1:41 AM, Irlandesa said:

This is my favorite Hallmark series.  I think the only movie I didn't really like is the second one (and the story in another one but I don't recall which one that is) but I've otherwise found them heartwarming both with the main cast and with the "mystery" story they're trying to solve. 

As for recommending a specific one, I think I'd maybe recommend the first one?  I remember loving it when it aired and even though the relationships have developed quite a bit more since this one, I feel you'll get a sense as to whether or not you'll like the series of movies.  There are ten movies, including the first one,  They also did one season of a series a year after that first movie but went back to making movie-based stories instead of weekly one-hour stories.

I also really liked Higher Ground about Hurricane Katrina. 

I have to agree with Irlandesa; the first one would be the one I'd recommend to start with, too. And as far as Higher Ground, I just watched that last week for the first time; I'd had it on my DVR and just wasn't able to get to it. I cried, just like I do with all of them. The one that made me cry the most was The Impossible Dream, about the missing soldier, but they all get to me.

Hi, my name is kirinan and I'm a sap for these movies, LOL.

• Love 1

Don't get your hopes up about pretty fall foliage in the Vermont movie. 

I kept getting distracted by the CGI leaves (always orange!) that randomly fell in certain outdoor scenes... trying to make it seem more autumnal I suppose. 

But the daughter writing a play last minute that the amnesiac could help out with was a little contrived. I mean, where is the girl's teacher?

also, I kept thinking the male lead should really get a part on Catastrophe as the main guy's brother. 

I liked Harvest Love.  It followed the familiar Hallmark pattern:  high-powered big city gal, in this case a surgeon, reconnects to a more peaceful small town existence after meeting local hunk.  But in this case, the movie really sold its premise.  First, rural hunk is played by insanely hot Ryan Paevey.  He manages the family farm for the doctor's parents, who are overseas somewhere.  Second, our heroine, Dr. Gilson, decides to save the family farm and open up her own medical practice in the nearby small town, which had been without a doctor.  So she doesn't move back to the farm only for the sake of the hunk and she doesn't abandon her career.  Everything works out perfectly for all.

ETA:  My only criticism is that Ryan remained fully clothed throughout, unlike "Unleashing Mr. Darcy" where we were treated to a swimming scene..

Edited by susannot
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Gah! I missed every airing of the new Signed, Sealed, Delivered!!!! I hope they reair it before they go into all Christmas mode.

I was searching the listings for U-verse and TVGuide online and couldn't find additional airings as of yet. I'd like to think they'd re-air it at least once before Xmas until January starts.

I don't know. I mean I liked Harvest Love in that it was a nice, easygoing movie in that I know what was going to happen, when, and how and such. But at the same time, I knew exactly what was going to happen and such. It was...okay. Other than the eye candy of Ryan P, it seemed a bit by the book. I know Hallmark isn't known for riveting character studies of twisty-turny storytelling, but I guess I was just hoping it would pull me in more. It'll make a great background noise kinda movie though.

Falling for Vermont was more enjoyable. I had a feeling it'd rip of last year's Mira Sorvino Christmas movie based on the description. I was just curious how much it would rip it off. While that one didn't grab me, this kinda did even though some parts were like "dude, really?" Now I'm going to be watching for those same four trees. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Falling for Vermont was more enjoyable. I had a feeling it'd rip of last year's Mira Sorvino Christmas movie based on the description. I was just curious how much it would rip it off. While that one didn't grab me, this kinda did even though some parts were like "dude, really?" Now I'm going to be watching for those same four trees. 

I liked that one better too. It at least had a better built in tension of when it was discovered who she really was.  I thought the male lead was a little more engaging too as a character.

Though Ryan P was a dreamboat. 

• Love 2

I keep phone surfing during All My Heart 2- not a good sign. They are laying the new love on a bit thick but I guess that's predictable.

What is also predictable is that Bryan works for a week in the city and his fiancé is gloomy. It's a week! He's making money for their inn. Of course the city is depicted as being "bad", and what guest keep asking where the co-owner is?

Edited by twoods
  • Love 7

I have to agree. They put the drama and conflict on a bit heavy. I wish Hallmark wouldn't do this with their sequels - basically have the couple super happy in the beginning and then something bad or stressful arises before restarting the relationship with more tension than when they first got together. It was sorta the same with Summer in the Vineyard. I loved that they kept the humor in but with the changes and the forced drama, it seemed a bit much. I would have loved to have seen them balancing getting married with running the inn together and learning how to scope out some time together. Maybe hit some sort of outside conflict that reinforces their relationship and how they work together to overcome it.

• Love 3

I was also bored during the movie last night. I thought the movie would have Lacey and Bryan already married. I agree, what nosy guest keeps asking where Bryan is?? They had Lacey's character being too needy. I would be thrilled for Bryan to earn some big money in NYC for the inn. Maybe he could work out a deal where he works a couple of days a week in NYC and a couple of days telecommuting. I don't see him being fulfilled as a full time inn keeper. 

• Love 6

I don't know why Hallmark bothered with a sequel to All of My Heart. They used a totally different house for the Inn, a different general store, different goats for Gabby and the kids, and different interior shots...explained away by a "remodel".  Blech.  Bad idea. Especially since they just showed the original right before.  

• Love 5

The problem with these sequels is that the drama of the original movies is always "will they/won't they" even if we know they will.  So there really isn't much for a second movie...or at least not enough with the main couple at the center of it.  Now, if they made the B&B a "love boat" type of inn, maybe.  But then the stars would be more supporting characters. 

I feel like I would have needed to care a lot more about this duo to enjoy this film.  It was just okay or your average Hallmark movie.

• Love 4

I’ll say it- I think Lacey C is a terrible actress. She always seems a beat or two behind in her reactions. The “evil” blogger outshone her in every scene. So your fiancé is off working in nyc to make money FOR YOUR INN and you’re all mopey pants about it. So selfish. She was “too busy” but all I saw her doing was mope around and drink coffee. Also, Bucks County is not some rural town, it’s pretty suburban and not terribly far from NYC. Bryan seemed way happier in NYC, away from her. I knew it wasn’t going to happen but I was hoping for some plot twist like - they actually break up or they close the inn and move to NYC so she can focus on her bakery line. 

Finally, who remodels a house and doesn’t fix the roof? Ugh.

Edited by sistersledge
  • Love 10

I had thought that maybe this sequel would be a lead up to their wedding and things going wrong along the way.

You know, a goat eats the vows, engagement ring gets lost and she doesn't want to tell him.

I gave up watching. Dh managed to get through it. His opinion was it took the almost same storyline from the first movie and ended the same way.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I don't know why Hallmark bothered with a sequel to All of My Heart. They used a totally different house for the Inn, a different general store, different goats for Gabby and the kids, and different interior shots...explained away by a "remodel".  Blech.  Bad idea. Especially since they just showed the original right before.  

My mother said the same thing. She noticed all the changes because she watched the movie for the first time a month ago.

7 hours ago, sistersledge said:

I’ll say it- I think Lacey C is a terrible actress. She always seems a beat or two behind in her reactions. The “evil” blogger outshone her in every scene. So your fiancé is off working in nyc to make money FOR YOUR INN and you’re all mopey pants about it. So selfish. She was “too busy” but all I saw her doing was mope around and drink coffee. Also, Bucks County is not some rural town, it’s pretty suburban and not terribly far from NYC. Bryan seemed way happier in NYC, away from her. I knew it wasn’t going to happen but I was hoping for some plot twist like - they actually break up or they close the inn and move to NYC so she can focus on her bakery line. 

Finally, who remodels a house and doesn’t fix the roof? Ugh.

Bucks is close by county to mine so I never bought the first movie setting as Bucks County and even Lancaster County is not as rural as they tried to make Bucks County seem in this movie.

The not Lacey/Brian fairies must have been taking care of the inn while she moped around & he was in NYC

Who took care of the extensive grounds? Who stripped the beds & did the laundry? Who cleaned that big place?

Why was her long hair hanging around the food?

The B & B blogger was rather embarrassing in her reaction to that tall handyman

And yet- I watched the whole movie as opposed to most of the Hallmark movies that get turned off in the first 30 minutes

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Marathonrunner said:

Who took care of the extensive grounds? Who stripped the beds & did the laundry? Who cleaned that big place?

Why was her long hair hanging around the food?

The B & B blogger was rather embarrassing in her reaction to that tall handyman

Yes!

Another nitpick: who takes reservations without writing it down?! If Gilmore Girls has taught us anything about b&b’s it’s that you need at least one big book and quill pen to be able to write someone’s name somewhere... ?

Like, way to be supportive Debbie downer (Jenny downer). There’s no reason he could not have been doing contract work in order to get some money rolling in. You make sacrifices when you’re trying to start a business! Gah! This movie was the worst.

Edited by sistersledge
  • Love 8

Had the same feelings as many. My parents live in Bucks County, and it is definitely suburban although there are pockets of rural. But it isn't "the sticks." And obviously they didn't want to name an actual town since that could have been problematic when it would clearly not be the town, but it sounded so silly to me that the people kept referring to it as Bucks County. Who refers to where they live all the time as the county they live in and not the town? And the first movie messed up by having front license plates when Pennsylvania doesn't have front license plates. I didn't catch the front of a car this time to see if it was the same, but I guess that was because I wasn't watching closely like many others here.

Also agree with those who pointed out that they used the same drama as the first movie. Brian was feeling the tugs to get back to working in NY in the first one and then chose to go back to PA for her. So now he had to be tempted away by the same exact thing? Commuting is also doable, as others have said. There are people who make that commute in real life, and he definitely could have done just a few days and then teleworking or whatever. And yes - mind your own business, people! Why do you care so much where Brian is? You don't have to ask every time you see Jenny!

They seemed to be majorly overdoing the lovey-dovey stuff on Brian's part. Did anyone else notice in the beginning of the movie, he kept saying ILY to Jenny and she wasn't saying it back? It was weird.

The B&B blogger's reactions to the general store owner actually amused me. Maybe I am giving them too much credit here, but I thought she was purposely supposed to be over the top attracted to him. 

• Love 5

Since we're nitpicking, can I also mention how ridiculous it was that they were eating in the same room as their guests which led to the guests overhearing them fighting?  I've been to a few B&Bs in my time and none of those stays involved the hosts eating in the same room as the guests.  They usually eat in their own private area and are working when others are working. And that's another thing, B&Bs are a lot of work so it's not like they'd have a ton of quality time together even if he weren't working like crazy in NYC. 

10 minutes ago, VMepicgrl said:

The B&B blogger's reactions to the general store owner actually amused me. Maybe I am giving them too much credit here, but I thought she was purposely supposed to be over the top attracted to him. 

She was.  It was maybe over-the-top but I actually thought he was super dreamy too so I couldn't fault her.

• Love 3

I just watched the most recent Gourmet Detective and it made me think that Hallmark should kick any sequels of their movies over to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and give them some kind of mystery to solve.  It takes less pressure off the romance aspect so it can develop more organically while they deal with the case of the week. 

• Love 7

yeah-- agree with everyone who was confused by the time weirdness. If the retiree guy kept extending his stay-- and Brian's absence was becoming an issue-- why was the blogger still there?  and how did that antiquing couple have time to leave and come back?!?! It seemed like the action took place over one or two weeks... which really shouldn't be enough time for Jenny to get fed up with Brian being gone. And I can't imagine the blogger would stay more than a night or two regardless of how cute the electrician/hardware store owner was.

and while Brian complained about money-- he never suggested to Jenny she needed to cut back on what she wanted to do-- but she was always going on about new pillows and more lamps when things like the roof and the wiring were an issue-- I mean, focus on the basics lady. 

and on a shallow note- one thing that distracts me in these Hallmark movies with Lacey (and Danica McKeller) is the heavy, heavy eye makeup they always wear. 

• Love 2

I may pass on this week's movie. Andrew Walker has been in so many movies that they are all looking the same to me. Him and Jen Lilley seem to have been in every themed movie this year (V day, weddings, harvest). Find some other actors!

• Love 3
On 10/10/2017 at 2:06 AM, Irlandesa said:

I just watched the most recent Gourmet Detective and it made me think that Hallmark should kick any sequels of their movies over to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and give them some kind of mystery to solve.  It takes less pressure off the romance aspect so it can develop more organically while they deal with the case of the week. 

I liked the case of the week.  The substitution of a real bullet in a staged duel was something I have not seem before.  Also, a crumbling family empire is always rife with opportunity for crimes.

Hallmark's practice of casting TV stars of yesteryear as parents in these movies is interesting.  You never know what names may pop up.  Meaning it was nice to see Bruce Boxleitner as Henry's dad.  At 67 he is still handsome, but just barely credible as the father of 48 year old Dylan Neal.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, susannot said:

I liked the case of the week.  The substitution of a real bullet in a staged duel was something I have not seem before.  Also, a crumbling family empire is always rife with opportunity for crimes.

Hallmark's practice of casting TV stars of yesteryear as parents in these movies is interesting.  You never know what names may pop up.  Meaning it was nice to see Bruce Boxleitner as Henry's dad.  At 67 he is still handsome, but just barely credible as the father of 48 year old Dylan Neal.

The staged duel real bullet thing was a storyline on an episode of Law & Order: CI.

I forget that Dylan Neal is still in his 40's because he looks older around the eyes. I'm guessing he may have enjoyed the sun a lot at one time.

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

The staged duel real bullet thing was a storyline on an episode of Law & Order: CI.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this on a number of shows, when he was shot my first thought was "oh, the real bullet substituted for the fake again"

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, GaT said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen this on a number of shows, when he was shot my first thought was "oh, the real bullet substituted for the fake again"

I was just mentioning a particular show I remembered it from.

22 hours ago, LegallyRed2 said:

Nice to know that the same 5 trees showed up in the Inn movie too. Complete with giant leaf pile at the bottom.

What's even funnier is that all 5 trees are tiny ones. They didn't even try for any bigger trees. 

• Love 1

The Harvest Love movie was decent. I agree that Jen was way too smiley in this movie, and how does a surgeon suddenly become a general practitioner? Good old Hallmark for simplifying something that is pretty difficult to do (start a practice, switch specialties, harvest a bunch of pears, etc).

• Love 3

I know this has more than likely been discussed before...regarding the Garage Sale series.  I never saw the first one and it was on this morning; I think it was the first one.  She had an entirely different family! Really good-looking husband (the current one could model "I am bland" t-shirts), realistic kids.  Does anyone know why they recast?  

• Love 1

I haven't heard any official explanations but think the first one is basically a pilot. Considering that there's often a long time gap between 1st & 2nd series, some cast changes happen from time to time - mostly due to scheduling conflicts or no longer interested in the project, etc..
Speaking of recasting, the police detective of the first series made another appearance in one of the recent episodes. I guess it's not something too unusual for Hallmark series though, as the police detective wasn't just a minor role it was kinda funny to see the same actor in a completely different character.

• Love 1

Just once I would like to see the kids of series leads cast a little more realistically.  They don't need to look and act perfect.  No one wants to see one of these Hallmark Mystery Movies that have unhappy families or problem kids.  But would it hurt to have one of Lori Ls kids to maybe dress a little goth? Maybe a pink streak in the hair....maybe a bit of sullen teen (if just for a minute or two).  Maybe have the husband that wasn't perfect.  I like the central mystery in the Garage Sale movies.  Looks like in the first one they showed a little more of estate sale and yard sale shopping and some of the "finds"...the Royal Albert (I think that is what the Roses pattern is) teapot...the jade figure... .the Tiffany lamp knock-off.  When they first advertised the series, it looked like we were going to get a bit of antiques porn. I do like the kind-of shlumpy detective who replaced the young-ish one in the pilot.  He looks like a real detective/policeman you might see in real life.  Maybe they could have cast him as the husband.

• Love 3

I just watched the newest Hailie Dean mystery, Dating is Murder. Not very good. The plot was boring, Kellie Martin says the words, but her acting is terrible, & I figured out who did it & why early on, & Nancy Grace did a bit part as a waitress. Also, whoever did Kellie Martin's makeup did a crap job, her blush looked like there was streaks on her cheeks. 

I watched the Hallie Dean movie, too.  Figured out who did it early on, too.  But I still like this series better than some of them....the baking one with Allison Sweeney (although I really like her)..the Candace Cameron one (don't care for her)...the house renovating one (Jewel? With the horrible hair).  I like the Chef movies; didn't mind the Brooke Shields ones all that much..she leaves a lot to be desired as an actress but the leading man was not bland.  That's a plus.  The two males on the Hallie Dean movies are blandly awful. 

It is like the Hallmark Channel sends out casting calls for beautiful actresses and the most vanilla actors they can get.  The Chef series being the exception...he is nice-looking and funny.  Now, of course, they  have given him the long-lost father.

• Love 1