Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, In2You said:

Because cultural differences do exist and are key factors in the way a person is raised. Their morals, traditions, thr foods they eat, languages they speak,etc. The solution is not to pretend these differences don't exist it's to make sure it's not the only character attritubute.  You can be the female lead and still have your heritage be a part of the character.

But how is Hallmark (or anyone) supposed to program like that? Keep a checklist of every different ethnicity & make a movie for each one? If not, who is going to decide which people get a movie & who doesn't? I'm all for diversity, but unless the character is written for a specific race, why not just hire whoever is best for the role?

Didn't Jon Stewart discuss this: that he thought he was hiring the best people for the Daily Show and then found out many times women and people of color weren't even getting their stuff in front of him to be considered?  Or have I misunderstood your point, GaT?

2 hours ago, GaT said:

But how is Hallmark (or anyone) supposed to program like that? Keep a checklist of every different ethnicity & make a movie for each one? If not, who is going to decide which people get a movie & who doesn't? I'm all for diversity, but unless the character is written for a specific race, why not just hire whoever is best for the role?

It's really not that hard to take a basic theme and tailor it so that it incorporates different races and ethnicities. I read a lot of books so I see authors do it all the time.

Casting the best actor for the role for Hallmark at the moment seens to be only white actors. Black, Latino,Asian,etc people fall in love every day and yes their race and ethnicity does effect their daily lives. The world is not colorblind.

Hallmark executives know this. They just don't want to put in the work to do diversity correctly  hence the constant exuses. They need to hire diverse writers to create these characters.

• Love 5

Her dad is Colombian

Right, but I don't know his race.  Given the indigenous populations, colonialism, and immigration from pretty much everywhere to the new world, he could be anything (or all the things) in addition to being Latino. 

Being color-blind in hiring doesn't work when you are dealing with decades, or even centuries, of institutional, conscious, and unconscious racism.  Not to bring up the dreaded Q word, but the casting directors could make a point in some of these movies of seeking out minorities.  Or, if in the middle of casting they see most of the roles have been filled by whites, they could course-correct and broaden their search.  And then, once they've cast some minorities in roles, tweak the character bios and dialog to reflect that.  Have PenaVega's character mention making buñuelos or loving her grandmother's sancocho.  Show a picture of Meghan Markle's character's dad, played by a black man, so as to subtly explain why her mom and her sister are very white but she is not.  Heck, mention the racism and bias some people experience -- there's a way to do it without either trivializing it or bringing down the wholesome, pretty, everything is awesome vibe of Hallmark movies. Basically, make it an ordinary thing that no one thinks twice about.  No one is expecting hard-hitting plots about intersectionality, but neither should these movies pretend there are no such thing as minorities.

• Love 8

I agree with the Meghan Markle stuff. On Suits they cast her father as an AA male and her mom as Caucasian- they could have done the same in the Hallmark movies she was in. It's ridiculous that they are saying that they are more diverse, but whitewash the minority actors they hire. Instead the billionth movie with Candace, they could have hired Tia and Tamara for their Christmas twin movie. It's a joke.

• Love 5
(edited)
20 hours ago, GaT said:

I assume you're watching the movies.  How often do you feel that they absolutely nailed casting and therefore must have hired the best person for the job? 

"Best for the role" sounds like an objective measure but it's really not.  It's based on opinion and whether we want it to or not, our unconscious biases influence our opinions.  Personally, while I think they have a few very charismatic actors in their productions, it's just as often that I feel one of the leads is wooden and lacks the charisma to make the story fly.  Clearly, whoever did the casting thought there was something about the actor or actress they hired but what was that 'something?'  And why are they willing to take a chance on that white wooden actor yet not on the black wooden actor?  It reminds me of stories Ken Levine (Cheers, Frasier) would tell about casting for network shows.  The creators/producers would find an actress for a part who was talented and funny yet she would get nixed at the network level because some exec didn't find her fuckable enough.  It could be as simple as that.  The white casting director could find white wooden actors fuckable enough even though they're wooden while black actors don't meet that subjective measure.

19 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Didn't Jon Stewart discuss this: that he thought he was hiring the best people for the Daily Show and then found out many times women and people of color weren't even getting their stuff in front of him to be considered?

I don't recall what the reasoning was but that's possible.  It's also possible that when Stewart judged the "best" entries, they were the entries that aligned with his white male sensibility.  Even as liberal as he seemed to be and likely championed minorities in theory, in practice he probably fell victim to the same thing we can all fall victim to.  But if all your hires look like you, it's a good idea to look at the candidate pool.  If they all look like you, then it's a good idea to examine your recruiting practices.  That's what SNL was forced to do a few years ago when they didn't have any black women on their cast.  They ended up with the hilarious [Emmy nominated] Leslie Jones.  Amber Ruffin wasn't hired at SNL but she went over to Seth Meyers' show and I think she's terrific there as a writer/sometimes performer. Sasheer Zameda was on the show four years too.  But she just left.

Hey, she's pretty and charming.  Maybe Hallmark should hire her as a love interest!

TLDR Summary:  Too often companies want to increase diversity by hoping it just falls into their laps.  In reality, it takes a little more effort. And Hallmark should try to get Sasheer Zamata in a Christmas movie.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

The Hallmark movies seem to pick actors that have been in other movies. The Christmas movies seem to feature the same people who are in their Mystery movies like Candice Cameron and Kellie Martin. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

The Hallmark movies seem to pick actors that have been in other movies. The Christmas movies seem to feature the same people who are in their Mystery movies like Candice Cameron and Kellie Martin. 

They've  introduced quite a few new actors recently and their Christmas movies always feature people who arent Hallmark regulars.

I saw the Christmas Cure (or whatever the name was) this weekend. I actually like it because Vanessa's parents did not make her feel guilty or push her to take over her father's clinic.

I haven't watched the other Christmas movie yet, but finally understand why I was so confused about the commercials.  I hadn't realized that there are TWO Catherine Bell holiday movies this year.  There was the one on last night, the one with the military theme, and one that will air later in the year with Eric Close.  Someone at Hallmark must reallllllly like her.

• Love 4
(edited)

I started watching the hallmark channel because it was a great way to watch harmless romances without having to think too much about love and real life relationship issues. I was also going through a very tough time in my marriage and it helped to not think to much or stress too much. I really enjoyed the Christmas movies the first two years. I watched for the same reasons I read Christmas romance novels and watched a slew of regular Christmas movies, no matter how stupid.(looking at you Elf) Surprisingly, I think Hallmark has done what 10 years of a terrible marriage didn’t do…I’m tired of watching people fall in “love”.  I’m sick of these repetitive romance movies that are empty and banal and please don’t get me started on Christmas in July….. Guys, you’ve got to go away in order for me to miss you.  Make your fans miss the special programing. Also, there are other ways you can incorporate romance into stories, how about regency romances?  These are perfect because, no touching and virginal! They focus primarily on the romance. Or...more Debbie Macomber or Meave Binchy? And really people? Is it not possible to create one romance with people of color? One? You can make them as PG as you need but, God, some diversity would be nice in these romances. Sandra Kitt has wonderful books that would fit right in with Hallmarks tone. Just cut out the sex.

I enjoyed A Rose for Christmas, not the same Actors usually showcased and Rachel Boston is likable.

Maybe if they have more new movies I’d feel less….. meh?

Edited by Pacodakat
  • Love 8

In this interview Alicia Witt mentions she is in process of writing a Hallmark Christmas movie (which I assume she would also act in).   It will be interesting if it gets made and if it will be different than their normal fare.

• Love 1

I watched the  HMM Catherine Bell/Victor Webster movie on Sunday and I liked it better than the Saturday Hallmark movie.  It was a pleasure seeing Victor Webster again and I actually really liked the way the movie told the young love storyline.  The actors had chemistry and the way it was filmed actually highlighted that chemistry.  They were also likable even if I felt they were unnecessarily tragic/sappy in that last twist.  I didn't even mind Catherine Bell but I hated her character.  She was way overly invested in her child to the point of being an absolute asshole.

• Love 2
On July 22, 2017 at 0:30 AM, Irlandesa said:

I actually really liked the way the movie told the young love storyline

Was anyone else distracted by the daughter being in high school?  Yes, I know that she was 18, but it just didn't feel right to me.  I wish that she was in college and home on winter break, or taking a gap year, or something other than being a high school student.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/14/2017 at 0:49 PM, In2You said:

Alexa's  mother is a white non Latina. Her dad is Colombian.  She's played many Latina roles however the ones on Hallmark I don't consider them to be when there's nothing to indicate her characters are Latina.

Hallmarks previous excuse about the lack of diversity was filming in Canada. As of there  are only white actors in Canada and their leads aren't Americans who reside in California.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:48 PM, In2You said:

It's really not that hard to take a basic theme and tailor it so that it incorporates different races and ethnicities. I read a lot of books so I see authors do it all the time.

Casting the best actor for the role for Hallmark at the moment seens to be only white actors. Black, Latino,Asian,etc people fall in love every day and yes their race and ethnicity does effect their daily lives. The world is not colorblind.

Hallmark executives know this. They just don't want to put in the work to do diversity correctly  hence the constant exuses. They need to hire diverse writers to create these characters.

What I find really funny about this trend along with Hallmark's excuses is that you have bunch of co-stars of color right there, people! Even Pixl does it already and they film in Canada! Plus Pixl treats them like actual human beings with lives and loves of their own rather than placeholders to cheer on and give pep talks to the main character.

BFBFs who would be great as stars (and look! They're already working in Canada). Karen Holness (8 Hallmark Movies), Rukiya Bernard (5 Hallmark movies), Christie Laing (5 Hallmark movies) . Nothing. Changes. The characters will practically stay the same, have the same feelings, concerns, interests, with maybe a little extra spice of cultural identity as it fits the characters and how they grew up (like the Chandler family christmas movies which are awwesome). Sometimes when the black female best friend (come on, Hallmark, some of these fine actresses are perpetually the best friend, it's more than obvious now), interacts with the main guy, I sense a bit of chemistry and imagine what the movie would be like if it was about their journey getting together. I would love to see that. 

Edited by MissyPoo
Name checks
  • Love 3
On 7/17/2017 at 1:41 PM, Pacodakat said:

I started watching the hallmark channel because it was a great way to watch harmless romances without having to think too much about love and real life relationship issues. I was also going through a very tough time in my marriage and it helped to not think to much or stress too much. I really enjoyed the Christmas movies the first two years. I watched for the same reasons I read Christmas romance novels and watched a slew of regular Christmas movies, no matter how stupid.(looking at you Elf) Surprisingly, I think Hallmark has done what 10 years of a terrible marriage didn’t do…I’m tired of watching people fall in “love”.  I’m sick of these repetitive romance movies that are empty and banal and please don’t get me started on Christmas in July….. Guys, you’ve got to go away in order for me to miss you.  Make your fans miss the special programing. Also, there are other ways you can incorporate romance into stories, how about regency romances?  These are perfect because, no touching and virginal! They focus primarily on the romance. Or...more Debbie Macomber or Meave Binchy? And really people? Is it not possible to create one romance with people of color? One? You can make them as PG as you need but, God, some diversity would be nice in these romances. Sandra Kitt has wonderful books that would fit right in with Hallmarks tone. Just cut out the sex.

I enjoyed A Rose for Christmas, not the same Actors usually showcased and Rachel Boston is likable.

Maybe if they have more new movies I’d feel less….. meh?

Oooh my gosh I love me some Sandra Kitt! If her movies popped up on Hallmark or Pixl or something, I'd be all over it!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MissyPoo said:

What I find really funny about this trend along with Hallmark's excuses is that you have bunch of co-stars of color right there, people! Even Pixl does it already and they film in Canada! Plus Pixl treats them like actual human beings with lives and loves of their own rather than placeholders to cheer on and give pep talks to the main character.

BFBFs who would be great as stars (and look! They're already working in Canada). Karen Holness (8 Hallmark Movies), Rukiya Bernard (5 Hallmark movies), Christie Laing (5 Hallmark movies) . Nothing. Changes. The characters will practically stay the same, have the same feelings, concerns, interests, with maybe a little extra spice of cultural identity as it fits the characters and how they grew up (like the Chandler family christmas movies which are awwesome). Sometimes when the black female best friend (come on, Hallmark, some of these fine actresses are perpetually the best friend, it's more than obvious now), interacts with the main guy, I sense a bit of chemistry and imagine what the movie would be like if it was about their journey getting together. I would love to see that. 

PixL only films some movies in Canada the majority of their movies film in Simi Valley California. But anyway location is not a good enough excuse when your flying out you lead and many supporting actors who are not Canadian.

Hallmark is supposed to be working on that project with Al  Roker so I hope the lead is black. I haven't heard any updates about it so I hope they don't drag it through mid next year.

• Love 2

I always thought the actress Sarah Strange who plays 2nd banana to Lori Loughlin in the Garage Sale Mystery movies would make a good lead for a series of her own Hallmark Mystery movies.  

• Love 6
On 7/27/2017 at 3:10 AM, In2You said:

PixL only films some movies in Canada the majority of their movies film in Simi Valley California. But anyway location is not a good enough excuse when your flying out you lead and many supporting actors who are not Canadian.

Hallmark is supposed to be working on that project with Al  Roker so I hope the lead is black. I haven't heard any updates about it so I hope they don't drag it through mid next year.

Dude, really? Dang, as a Cali fangirl that makes me like them even more. 

And yep, I agree. There are such dealios as planes and all...

The last I heard was in the note from the head of the company listing it to prove they are working on movie diversity. Glad we at least got a date on the Holly Robinson Peete movie.

• Love 1

Hallmark just had a TCA-like event and some interesting news came out of it.  There is no specific date for the Holly Robinson-Peete movie except that it will air in 2018.  It apparently is the same project as Al Roker's project and is called "The Midnight Show Murders."  Hallmark also has a deal with Judy Smith, the woman who Scandal is very very loosely based on, and the movie will be called "The Adjuster" also somewhat based on her experiences.  That will be an interesting comparison.

They've announced new installments of any of their mysteries series including Signed, Sealed, Delivered, Garage Sale Mystery, and The Gourmet Detective.  Missing from the lineup is Murder She Baked which is a bit of a bummer because it's one of my favorites, along with SSD and Gourmet Detective.

And for those who prefer Hallmark's more serious fare (not me), Hallmark is adding another channel called Hallmark Drama on October 1.

Hallmark has posted descriptions of its Summer Nights movie lineup. Biggest surprise for me?  That they're doing a sequel to Autumn in the Vineyard called Summer in the Vineyard.  Why weren't they doing these sequels back when Love at the Thanksgiving Day Parade came out?  Or some of the other Hallmark Hall of Fame movies--although I think I did read that they were trying to do one for The Magic of Ordinary Days that just never came to be.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

They've announced new installments of any of their mysteries series including Signed, Sealed, Delivered, Garage Sale Mystery, and The Gourmet Detective.  Missing from the lineup is Murder She Baked which is a bit of a bummer because it's one of my favorites, along with SSD and Gourmet Detective.

It's a miracle!!!! I went to the Hallmark site & nothing auto played!!!!!

Does this mean Murder she Baked is done now? Any mention of Fixer Upper, Hailey Dean, or the flower shop series (whose name I can't remember)?

And in case anyone forgot, there is a new Garage Sale Mystery movie every Sunday in August

(edited)
25 minutes ago, GaT said:

Does this mean Murder she Baked is done now? Any mention of Fixer Upper, Hailey Dean, or the flower shop series (whose name I can't remember)?

No to the flower shop.  Yes to Fixer Upper and Hailey Dean. Plus another one that had been announced with Kimberly Williams-Paisley and Ed Cavanaugh. I don't know about Murder She Baked But yes, I would bet it's done.  I do think the engagement at the end of the last installment suggested it might be the last but it's still sad.

Edited by Irlandesa
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Hallmark just had a TCA-like event and some interesting news came out of it.  There is no specific date for the Holly Robinson-Peete movie except that it will air in 2018.  It apparently is the same project as Al Roker's project and is called "The Midnight Show Murders."  Hallmark also has a deal with Judy Smith, the woman who Scandal is very very loosely based on, and the movie will be called "The Adjuster" also somewhat based on her experiences.  That will be an interesting comparison.

Holly's movie  was reported to be The Adjuster per a press release I saw. So is she also going to be starring in Al's movie as well? Also his has a male lead.

Filming on the fourth Gourmet Detective movie wrapped this week, according to Dylan Neal's Facebook page (yeah, I really wanted some info).  There are some nice photos and a little spoilerish info if you're interested.  I think that he said earlier that the movie should air in October.

2 hours ago, In2You said:

Holly's movie  was reported to be The Adjuster per a press release I saw. So is she also going to be starring in Al's movie as well? Also his has a male lead.

The only information about The Adjuster that I've seen reported is its relationship to Judy Smith so I can't answer whether or not Holly's a part of it.  The press release on this page associates her with Al's movie.  And that's how it's reported here too with a touch bit more information about the Al & Holly movie.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought there had been speculation before that Holly's movie would be in October. Sounds like they pushed the date out further. I think a lot of us thought it would be earlier too since they had her in Hallmark commercials.

I think the Flower Shop movies are done. I was one who really liked them. I don't do Twitter much but have done a search for those movies a few times and have seen tweets asking Halmark to bring them back. 

I'm kinda surprised about the Hallmark Drama Network thing. How dramatic can "family friendly" programming get? Then again their "Mystery" network is murder central. 

Edited to Add: I just saw one of those articles mention that the around the clock Xmas movies start on October 27th. ?

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm kinda surprised about the Hallmark Drama Network thing. How dramatic can "family friendly" programming get? Then again their "Mystery" network is murder central. 

Pfft, murder?  Why worry about murder when we can obsess about sex?

What I do wonder is how they're going to eventually divide the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries movies and Hallmark Drama since HMM right now mostly captures those more dramatic movies.

• Love 2

October 27! So they're not even waiting until the 31st of October anymore. 

I know Hallmrk's brand is family friendly but when I think family programming I think movies both kids and adults would watch and enjoy. Like those movies they aired that year they teamed up with Walmart for Friday Night movies. Except for a couple of the Christmas ones they would bore the kids in my family and they'd lose interest. 

• Love 1

Well now, something else interesting popped up in announcements. Hallmark now has a publishing division and is going to book form.  Not sure if they are turning their entire original catalog into books or future movies, but I'd be interested to see. I decided to check out the guidelines just for shoots and giggles and this stood out to me:

We’d love to see stories that reflect ethnic diversity.

I wonder if they are really opening their doors or just putting this there to say they'll consider it but really just keep the status quo? Guess we'll have to keep an eye on it.

• Love 2
On 11/25/2016 at 8:34 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I’m pretty sure non-White and Gay people fall in love and also enjoy the holidays!

I'm sure they do. And MAYBE I can see Hallmark realizing it is now the 21st century and showing non-whites (though I won't hold my breath), but gay/lesbian love on Hallmark? Good luck.

You have a better chance of seeing actual pigs flying outside your window, IMO.

• Love 4

I thought Love at the Shore was pretty good!  I liked both of the leads, who were very, very pretty people.  The dog was super-cute.  The kids weren't obnoxiously over-the-top.  I kinda felt for the guy when he "let the kid down" at the end - he tried to tell the kid he couldn't promise and was pressured into it.  Which yeah, he shouldn't have done (promises to kids in these movies NEVER work out), but the mom should have told the kid to stop asking.  His swim trial was really not a big deal (it wasn't even the swim team try-outs...) and the guy was right - he needed to learn how to motivate himself.  Then the kid sneaking off by himself at the end of the movie was in no way the guy's fault, and I'm glad the mom recognized that and apologized.

I thought the best friend actress was really cute, too.  Hallmark, make her a lead!  I'm sure she'd do just as good a job as all the white women you cast.

I have a bunch more Hallmark movies on my DVR that have aired recently, but I've only watched a few of them.  I'm looking forward to watching Date With Love and I'm hoping it's the Andrew Walker movie that I actually end up liking.

• Love 3

I kind of liked it too.  You can tell they had a budget for this because there were not one but two Beach Boys songs. 

They did kind of annoy me with how obnoxious both were being about the music though.  He was wrong to play loud music at night.  She was wrong to complain about noise during the day.  She's working?  That's what libraries are for.  Or wear headphones.

• Love 4

Ha that's true. I noticed they did use two. :-D I would've flipped out if they played "Don't Worry, Baby" as it ended. No reason other than it's my favorite Beach Boy song and it would've fit haha.

I don't know what kind of typewriter she was using but I want it! That and a writing getaway on a beach house would be nice, too.

Maureen the friend was gorgeous! I agree she should be a leading lady for a future movie. And I'm glad Hallmark is getting some good DPs that know how to film dark skin. I cringed during Dash of Love with how washed out poor Kandyse McClure was. The main chickie was really pretty, too. I feel like I've seen her somewhere, but my memory fails me. Some folks on FB didn't like her much. but I thought she was pretty cool and easygoing even when she was being uptight. I see Hallmark is opening up to divorced parents now rather than killing off the missing parent. Very interesting.

I liked some of the dialogue between the characters, too. Some parts gave me genuine laughs.

The kids weren't too annoying although they did do that role switch thing during the lunch table where it seemed like they were their mother's peers rather than her children but they weren't as obnoxious as some other Hallmark kids. Overall, I kinda liked it. Not one of my faves but I wouldn't mind seeing it again in the near future to pass the time on a summer night.

Edited by MissyPoo
5 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

I don't know what kind of typewriter she was using but I want it! That and a writing getaway on a beach house would be nice, too.

Notice she didn't actually use it though!  Even though she claimed it would help her get through her writer's block.

The main chickie was really pretty, too. I feel like I've seen her somewhere, but my memory fails me. Some folks on FB didn't like her much. but I thought she was pretty cool and easygoing even when she was being uptight.

She's been in a bunch of stuff, yet while her name was familiar to me, I don't recall actually watching her in any of it?  I really did like her though, far more than some of Hallmark's other leading ladies.

They did kind of annoy me with how obnoxious both were being about the music though.  He was wrong to play loud music at night.  She was wrong to complain about noise during the day.  She's working?  That's what libraries are for.  Or wear headphones.

Thank you for saying this, I forgot that little plot point, and you're totally right about them both being wrong.  (Not to mention, I'm sure there were other tenants who didn't appreciate him blasting music at night, and as a landlord shouldn't he have been worried about negative reviews, etc.?

• Love 3

Damn, I forgot to DVR that movie and was looking forward to it because I liked the lead in the Mentalist (her hair is freaking gorgeous), and the guy was in my favorite Christmas movie last year (the Cinderella one on ION). 

Glad that you guys liked it! Will try to catch it next weekend. 

• Love 2

Regarding the new Garage Sale Mystery movie, again 

Spoiler

if they don't start casting new people for all of these movies, I may have to stop watching. I love mysteries and would probably enjoy the books, but I can't enjoy trying to figure out these mysteries based on story and clues when I've already guessed the murderer as soon as a certain actor comes on the screen. 

• Love 2

I watched the Garage Sale movie last night.  I, too, guessed the murderer within the first half hour.  These mysteries could have such great potential!  But they are so predictable, idealized families and kids.  I know, I tune in for the mystery and don't want to see kids with drug issues, parents fighting, etc.  The lead actors are good...Laurie Laughlin, the Mystery Woman actress..Kelly something?  Jewel leaves something to be desired..as did Brook Shields..Allison Sweeney is good...can't think of the others.  Love Gourmet Detective..mainly because  the leads are a little different.  Laurie Laughlin's family is so sweet and gentle that it makes my gums hurt...her husband does nothing for me at all.  The only person of interest besides Laughlin is the actress who plays her partner.  But I will take whatever I can get as long as it is not a wedding or Christmas movie.  

I did like the change of hairdo for L Laughlin...it is straighter, without the soap opera curls.  Her eyes looked different...heavier makeup? Like the premise of the show...and it is a gentle show, easy to watch.  It just wish the writing was a little better.  And I don't have anything against everything being wrapped up in a nice bow at the end of the movie.

• Love 2

When nothing else is on (hello, summer), I am really enjoying the Murder She Baked movies.  Alison Sweeney and Cameron Mathison are easy-breezy actors and I like their chemistry.  There's often a bit of humor (her sister is great) and I'm a sucker for shows and movies set in cooking atmospheres.  Plus I don't always guess the murderer due to the most recognizable actor being the killer as in so many other shows (Law & Order esp!).  Have seen one of the Jewel Fixer Upper mysteries -- pretty good -- but haven't caught any of the others.  Great filler on a quiet evening -- so glad I found this channel.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
On 8/7/2017 at 6:20 AM, pigs-in-space said:

Notice she didn't actually use it though!  Even though she claimed it would help her get through her writer's block.

She's been in a bunch of stuff, yet while her name was familiar to me, I don't recall actually watching her in any of it?  I really did like her though, far more than some of Hallmark's other leading ladies.

Thank you for saying this, I forgot that little plot point, and you're totally right about them both being wrong.  (Not to mention, I'm sure there were other tenants who didn't appreciate him blasting music at night, and as a landlord shouldn't he have been worried about negative reviews, etc.?

Dude you're right! Ha. I thought she did when she was on the porch but it was the laptop she was using. I guess it was just there for visual inspiration heh.

Wow she has been in a lot of stuff. Maybe I saw her in some eps of things but didn't realize it was her. I agree though. She seemed less over the top than other Hallmark chicks. I put her in the category of "I could see us being friends in real life".

On 8/7/2017 at 6:56 AM, twoods said:

Damn, I forgot to DVR that movie and was looking forward to it because I liked the lead in the Mentalist (her hair is freaking gorgeous), and the guy was in my favorite Christmas movie last year (the Cinderella one on ION). 

Glad that you guys liked it! Will try to catch it next weekend. 

Oh snap that was him huh! I didn't even realize it. I really liked that one too.

(And yes her hair was super gorgeous! Loved it!) Can't wait to see what you think of it!

On 8/7/2017 at 11:36 AM, Irlandesa said:

Oh one more thing about the beach movie....it clearly felt like the "we'll figure it out" meant sequel coming.

Since Hallmark has been on a sequel kick lately, I could see that happening! :-)

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, twoods said:

I agree. He definitely has an easy chemistry with the leads and is a good actor, but the glaring age difference between him and his lead squick me out a little. 

He does look older but his leads have been between five (not bad at all) and ten (kind of big) years younger than him. That's not nothing but Hollywood has been doing it forever without it seeming too glaring. I wonder why he stands out to some. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

He does look older but his leads have been between five (not bad at all) and ten (kind of big) years younger than him. That's not nothing but Hollywood has been doing it forever without it seeming too glaring. I wonder why he stands out to some. 

You're right! The most is 10 years. Maybe the lead actresses look younger than being in their 40's- some look in their 30's (Danica), and Kavan looks his age (47) so maybe that's why it bothers me. I know it's ageism, but if I'm going to waste my time on a movie I want to have a little eye candy. 

The upcoming movie with Paul campbell also seems weird because he looks so young, but he's 38! I thought he was way younger than Tricia but she's only 5 years older than him (and maybe that's some of the premise of the summer movie). 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Because I don't find him Romantic Lead attractive.  Age has nothing to do with it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, voiceover said:

Because I don't find him Romantic Lead attractive.  Age has nothing to do with it.

It's such a subjective thing, because I totally do!  Give me charisma and humor and good looks on top of it and I'm totally sold.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, pigs-in-space said:

It's such a subjective thing, because I totally do!  Give me charisma and humor and good looks on top of it and I'm totally sold.

Hey: he's all yours.

More Rupert Penry-Jones for me.

• Love 2