Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I usually love all of Lacey Chabert's movies, but Moonlight in Vermont was only so-so. However I was very excited to see an advertisement that Lacey and Brennan Elliott made "All of my heart-the Sequel". Yippee! That's my favorite of her movies.

• Love 4

Moonlight in Vermont had a premise that would normally excite me but I agree, it was only so-so.  I still think my favorite Lacey movie was The Color of Rain but All of My Heart was pretty good too.  The reason I'm excited for a sequel is that seeing that this movie got a sequel raises my hopes that we will eventually see the sequel to A Summer Villa that has been rumored.

• Love 2

Moonlight in Vermont was one I could sit through. Again, the lead actors played a major part in that. It wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. A few things bugged that are very mundane but still. When the brother and friend were loading wood outside into the wheelbarrow I expected a heavy haul. Nope, six or seven pieces. All that huffing and puffing and you are only going to load that much wood? I regularly load wood for our stove at home and triple that amount per trip. Anyway, that leads to my next peeve of all the tools and equipment being in pristine condition. This is a farm, your tools should look like they are used not straight out of the prop closet! Then you have the dinner where everyone has to chip in and they only have two hours to come up with a menu, prep, etc so naturally this is the perfect time to have heartfelt one on one conversations. 

Overall the premise was lame. What 30 something person still thinks having a pretend boyfriend is a good way to win back an ex? The ex seemed lame from the get go. I'd be counting my blessings. As annoying as it was that Lacey's character kept ogling the ex the entire time I did appreciate how at the end she literally only had eyes for the chef even with the ex carrying on in the background. 

• Love 2

Never mind the fact that the Ex never saw the Bed and Breakfast during his relationship with the owner's daughter? How did he not connect the dots that would be where he was staying? The stepmom seemed to know he was Nate when he first arrived, so how was this never brought up? Also, loved how the big Moonlight dance was on a Tuesday....

Edited by LegallyRed2

Yes and yes! Love at first bark was awful. The lead was terrible, the love interest not even cute (and really, dog trainer? What kind of future is there in that? I don't blame the ex, I would have pushed him too). And how was she paying her designer (which, isn't that what she was supposed to be?) before she got the puppery job? (Also terrible but I'll let that slide). Logistics always get so lost in these shows!

Moonlight in Vermont. Eh, she didn't strike me as this hard-hitting realtor in NYC, but whatever. The ex was not worth the effort at all. 

Kathie Lee was plugging Cats and Dogs on the Today Show this morning. She even showed a clip of her daughter Cassidy and her love interest in the movie. It airs tomorrow night at 9 p.m. ET.

It reminded me of when Kathie Lee always bragged about her kids with Regis on their show years ago. She's still at it!

• Love 3

They really are going to have her singing in every movie, aren’t they?

That would be why I'm not watching any of the others, as much as I like Colin Ferguson.

Biakbiak, I don't have a smart phone so Shazam is not an option.  But would it work, if a lyrics Google search doesn't?  I wonder if the songs are just too obscure and/or commissioned specifically for the movies.

I've been behind on the latest batch of mystery movies, but I'm finally catching up. I'm with everyone who thought the latest Murder She Baked wasn't as fun as previous ones. I like Ali Sweeney a lot, and I tolerate Cam Mathison, barely, but the story just didn't seem to work. I mean, my expectations are fairly low for these types of movies but the baking didn't seem to matter one bit - it's like the plot could've been stuck into any of these mystery movies and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. Eh.

I ended up liking the latest Jewel Fixer Upper movie a lot more than I thought I would. The lack of the scary wig she had in the first one was a huge improvement, and the mystery wasn't completely obvious from the get-go, which is always nice. And Jewel is turning out to be likeable enough as an actress (though less singing would be fine with me, too). But for me the reason to watch is Colin Ferguson. I just love him! He's one of my automatic must-watch guys (even in those Maytag ads, lol).

The Candace Cameron/Aurora Teagarden movie is still waiting patiently on my DVR, but it sounds like I'm not missing a whole lot. Maybe it'll wait a little longer...

• Love 2

Anyone catch the Cats and Dogs movie tonight? The leads and their chemistry and quirks weren't appealing so I turned it off after 15 minutes- didn't know whether to give it another chance. What a shame because I love cats and dogs and wanted to watch it.

Edited by twoods
2 hours ago, twoods said:

Anyone catch the Cats and Dogs movie tonight? The leads and their chemistry and quirks weren't appealing so I turned it off after 15 minutes- didn't know whether to give it another chance. What a shame because I love cats and dogs and wanted to watch it.

Yes. I watched it all the way through because I was doing other things and you were right to skip it.  There was something so low energy about it. I don't know if it was the writing or the performances but it was quite literally like white noise/background noise for me.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes. I watched it all the way through because I was doing other things and you were right to skip it.  There was something so low energy about it. I don't know if it was the writing or the performances but it was quite literally like white noise/background noise for me.

Thanks, Irlandesa and twoods. I'm glad to know this, so I don't waste my time. You know, I'm sure it will never happen, but maybe Hallmark just needs to give new romance movies a rest for a while. They've had such a glut of new movies over the last, say, two or three years that way too many of them are...well, bottom-of-the-barrel, in both plot and the blandess of their actors. It's like they've done every possible romantic story they can think of and are just throwing plot points at the wall and seeing what sticks.

"We'll use dogs! And cats! And..." <splat> "...ferrets! And it'll be set at..." <splat> "...an Italian restaurant! In a town that..." <splat> "...has forgotten the true meaning of..." <splat> "...Halloween! And the heroine will come to town because..." <splat> "...she's a disgraced...umm..." <splat> "...circus acrobat who has a flat tire! And it'll star... Oh, who cares. Just go to the pool and grab a blond girl and a dark-haired guy." 

I criticize out of love and sadness, because I used to look forward to and watch these movies every Saturday night. Now I'm lucky if I make it past the first 10 minutes of even a quarter of them. It really does make me sad, because I adore this type of movie.

Hallmark, consider this an intervention. You need to up your game to keep me interested, especially now that your competition, Doctor Who, is back. You may not care, because I'm old and probably not your target demographic, but I care, and I'm disappointed in you. Trust me, quantity does NOT always beat out quality, as is becoming increasingly evident in your movies. Please consider trickling instead of torrenting for a while. Please?

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, kirinan said:

You may not care, because I'm old and probably not your target demographic

It's not about your age.  It's about the fact that a lot of people inside and outside of your age range do still watch (prompting them to make more and more) and even like them.  Even in this thread, there are movies that others like that do absolutely nothing for me.

3 hours ago, kirinan said:

It's like they've done every possible romantic story they can think of and are just throwing plot points at the wall and seeing what sticks.

52 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I don't think of Hallmark as being a Christian channel so much as a family-friendly one.

I think it's a conservative and narrow vision of "family friendly" though.  One where Christianity and celebrating Christmas is so prevalent but not one where we'd see how atheists spend the day.  It's even a stretch for them to incorporate Hanukkah.  Kirinan said they have done every type of romance but they haven't.  Is an interracial romance not family friendly?  What about a same sex relationship?  There's nothing inherently not-family-friendly about two men falling in love save for the fact that many straight people can think of straight love in a pure feelings sense but jump to how two members of the same sex have sex.

There are plenty of stories they haven't knocked off yet even unrelated to what I just mentioned. 

*It's interesting that they do seem to be responding to diversity by incorporating secondary characters of different ethnicities.  They had an Asian couple on last night....while the leads were about as white and blonde as could be.  Ah Hallmark...*shakes head*

• Love 6

They say family friendly but is the whole family actually watching these movies outside of Christmas? Cuz family friendly to me is something the entire family can watch and enjoy. Hallmark skews older women and none of these romances are anything the kids in my family would watch/are interested in. And like pointed out they skew very Christian conservative. To me Up and Pixl are more family friendly.  They have Christian roots too but they are a little more open with age and race than hallmark. Up even included gay characters in two of their Christmas movies last year.

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Kirinan said they have done every type of romance but they haven't.  Is an interracial romance not family friendly?  What about a same sex relationship?  There's nothing inherently not-family-friendly about two men falling in love save for the fact that many straight people can think of straight love in a pure feelings sense but jump to how two members of the same sex have sex.

I was speaking in a broad sense of tropes more than anything, but yes, I agree those situations would be a wonderful change. However, I also think I'd have a better chance of becoming president than Hallmark ever going there, at least right now. (And for the record, the chances of me becoming president = zero.)

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I was speaking in a broad sense of tropes more than anything, but yes, I agree those situations would be a wonderful change.

I do know you were referring to other things although, as I said, I do think there are some things that Hallmark hasn't done or at least hasn't done for a long time.

7 minutes ago, kirinan said:

(And for the record, the chances of me becoming president = zero.)

Don't sell yourself short.

1 hour ago, kirinan said:

And for the record, the chances of me becoming president = zero.

I don't think this is something you can say anymore, anybody can be President now.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't think this is something you can say anymore, anybody can be President now.

14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Don't sell yourself short.

No, no, no, I don't WANT to be president, LOL. Not after learning all the intricacies of life in Washington with everything having been put out there these last few months. I just want to watch good Hallmark movies with a few interesting layers every Saturday night. :)

• Love 1

I found Cats and Dogs almost painful to watch.  I was going to turn it off after 15 minutes as well but reminded myself of other movies I was going to turn off early but actually turned out to be enjoyable a little deeper into it.  Unfortunately that never happened with this movie.  Cassidy tried a little to hard to be perky and quirky and the guy just had no appeal to me.  I also agree there was little to no chemistry.

• Love 1

I gave Cats and Dogs a try, as there have been several movies that I have enjoyed that others here did not like so much. However, this time I am in agreement with pretty much everything. It's too bad, because to some extent I appreciated the guy being the overly serious planner one this time. 

• Love 1

I felt like the earlier movies this year ( the ice skating one with Julie Berman and the Dash of Love movie) were pretty decent. Unfortunately the quality has gone down as the themes have gone by. Even the V day movies weren't that great minus one decent one (really disappointed in the Amy Smart one because she didn't get to interact with Adrian's character). Dreading the summer releases if this lack of quality is going to continue. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

I couldn't bring myself to watch Cats and Dogs, an avowed dog person, I have to ask, who the heck brings their cat on vacation?

He was there to write his thesis, so technically it wasn't a vacation. Guess he wanted a nice place away from his usual life to concentrate on writing and be inspired, but he wanted his cat with him. I'm a dog person as well, but I guess his cat's company was a comfort to him while he worked. :-)

A silly thing that bothered me about the movie was how they also felt the need to give him a terrible hairstyle. Just because he's serious and what they may have wanted to look like "nerdy," doesn't mean his hair needed to look like it did. 

• Love 4

I beg of Andrew Walker - please stop doing these movies.  I know everyone has to work but I'm also about 'there' with Lacey Chabert.  I think they're fine actors but they're in 3-4 of these Hallmark movies a year.  I can't get into their movies as much because they've had plenty of other 'true loves' before...and just a couple months ago.  

• Love 3

I agree- he's been in what, two or three in the past few months? I keep getting his movies mixed up too. There are other decent, white bread male leads out there.

I do like the lead actress in tonight's movie and because it's about sports, will give it a try. 

Edited by twoods
21 hours ago, VartanFan said:

I can't get into their movies as much because they've had plenty of other 'true loves' before...and just a couple months ago.  

The good news is that his co-star in this movie co-starred in a Christmas movie with him so if you have a tough time leaving behind previous characters/love interests, the fact that he re-teamed so soon with Nikki Deloach makes it easier to adjust.

I don't struggle with that and I'd personally rather have a proven lead who can act, is good looking, has charisma and has chemistry with his co-stars than who we got last week. 

On to last night's movie--I found myself really liking The Perfect Catch.  The story aimed towards a more pleasant plot over a lot of twists which meant it relied a lot on the leads and Andrew and Nikki easily pulled it off.  Pleasant plot doesn't mean it was poorly written, though.  I liked the little angles of angst created with Wesley's father, Chace's father, and the fact that a job offer and a relationship were both seen as positive things that they adulted their way through as they came into conflict.  I also like that it didn't involve Chace giving up on a major league career even if there were some professional conveniences to give the movie a happy ending--like he managed to just talk his way into a scouting position.  Or that she was able to buy a food truck, even though she was late on her loan, and she served food out of that truck that was absolutely different than what she eventually served in her renovated restaurant (which--sorry--would also be costly.)

But in the end, it was enjoyable and made me happy.

• Love 3

I liked it too Irlandesa.   Liked the food angle, as always.  The two leads were pleasant. I looked up Andrew Walker on Imdb afterwards and it seems that he is Hallmark's go-to guy for bland waspy handsomeness.  There's nothing wrong with that but maybe he's a bit overexposed at this point.

• Love 2

I enjoyed The Perfect Catch as well. I've always liked Nikki and I think her and Andrew have good chemistry, thought the same in their Christmas movie. I thought there was a lot to like here. I'm glad there weren't many shenanigans with the other restaurateur like I feared might happen when he kept appearing. I liked most of the stuff with his parents. The insurance agent boyfriend could have been ditched earlier than he was for sure, what a drip. But in general, I liked this movie. 

My biggest problem where I wouldn't say I had to suspend belief, but I just wished hadn't happened, is with the son and the game and then when Andrew had to leave and then she's guilt tripping him and equating him to leaving like when the son's father split. For my money, Nikki should have stepped in when her son asks someone he's known for a few days to be in a father/son anything. Not a gentle no that quickly gets overridden by a determined kid like the baseball lessons, but an "I'm your mother, and what I say goes and this is an unacceptable request" type of way. Sure I know how these movies work, so it doesn't keep me from liking this, but I wish a different approach had been taken and we'd just not see that here at all. Would have preferred them being upset that he was leaving, but happy for his opportunity since they'd been encouraging and reassuring him all along and they still could have had a similar ending where he took Door Number 2 where his career was concerned.

As for Andrew appearing in too many of these movies. I have no issue with him being in several of these. I'm with the others, I'd prefer a known commodity than some of what we get at times. And I just don't watch people who I prefer not to see if their movies become too similar. I think Candace's movies (the Hallmark ones, not the HMM ones) have been extremely similar for several years and I usually skip them. If Danica plans one more wedding or event in a movie I'm not watching it. And Lacey seems to play the same type of characters quite often as well. So, Andrew isn't alone in appearing in his fair share, I just don't mind him in the last few years (I did have more of an issue with his movies with Arielle Kebbel, but that was way more about her and her distracting eyebrows than him).

34 minutes ago, JasmineFlower said:

Would have preferred them being upset that he was leaving, but happy for his opportunity since they'd been encouraging and reassuring him all along and they still could have had a similar ending where he took Door Number 2 where his career was concerned.

I didn't think Jessica guilt tripped him.  She did seem genuinely happy once he told her.  Her son was upset but that made sense because he's a kid. 

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I didn't think Jessica guilt tripped him.  She did seem genuinely happy once he told her.  Her son was upset but that made sense because he's a kid. 

I think she was genuinely happy for him as well. I thought she was understanding too. But then she also told him she'd handle talking to her son when he said he'd like to speak with him on his own, and she said something like, "No I'll do it, I've got practice with it," which alluded to the husband leaving her son. It wasn't terrible, I've seen worse, but I think not leaving it at the initial joy and congratulations was an issue that placed undeserved guilt on him. He wasn't ditching his son and he shouldn't have been put into that situation to me.

But I didn't like the entire setup. If there was zero guilt trip at the end and all she had done was congratulate him and leave it at that, I'd still think she should have stepped in earlier to block anything resembling her son asking him to be a stand-in father at this stage.  Her son was upset and it does make sense, but it's also why I don't even need to see that happening. I think he could have just been a little bit upset he was leaving in general as they were becoming friends, not add the father/son game and all the bragging about bringing him to it.

Perfect Catch was so-so. Sort of boring but decent story and nice leads. I liked their Christmas movie better.

Sort of excited about the "Art of Us" movie in a few weeks. Love both leads (especially the guy- he was great in the Christmas Party movie but wasted in Christmas Incorporated because of the blah lead actress). 

Hallmark had a "Good Witch" movie marathon on yesterday and you could see the quality drop with each movie after the first two or three of those. It made me miss movies like that which weren't like the cookie cutter ones they churn out now though. It also made me kinda grumpy over the fact that the "Good Witch" TV series exists because to go on with it they had to kill off Chris Potter's character. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

It also made me kinda grumpy over the fact that the "Good Witch" TV series exists because to go on with it they had to kill off Chris Potter's character. 

I never understood why they did that, it made no sense to me.

• Love 1

I'm watching The Perfect Catch right now, and enjoying everything except the kid; he's really annoying the heck out of me. He's going to grow up to be the pushiest, guilt-mongering-est adult on earth. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GaT said:

I never understood why they did that, it made no sense to me.

I don't watch the series, although I think I watched a few of the movies, and I think it had to do with Chris Potter's schedule. Maybe he couldn't do Heartland and The Good Witch at the same time whereas he could swing the movies during breaks. 

I keep seeing advertisements for a new mystery series starring Courtney Thorne Smith and I am getting a bit excited.  I like her as an actress but she hasn't done a zillion Hallmark things so she feels fresh, even though she's experienced.  I also read James Tupper is in the first one and he's a good actor too.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't watch the series, although I think I watched a few of the movies, and I think it had to do with Chris Potter's schedule. Maybe he couldn't do Heartland and The Good Witch at the same time whereas he could swing the movies during breaks. 

Then they should have recast him, not killed him off.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I keep seeing advertisements for a new mystery series starring Courtney Thorne Smith and I am getting a bit excited.  I like her as an actress but she hasn't done a zillion Hallmark things so she feels fresh, even though she's experienced.  I also read James Tupper is in the first one and he's a good actor too.

James Tupper? I loved him in Big Little Lies.  I will definitely watch.

(edited)

There was a cute Hallmark movie that I was glad that I decided to watch on the main channel that I had never seen. It was called "Romantically Speaking" from 2015 about a young woman named Ariel (Heather Morris) who's become a radio talk show host like her father was. Her specialty is relationships apparently. The story line is a typical Hallmark one where her friend has to pretend to be the boyfriend that broke up with her the night before so she can try and impress a couple that wants to syndicate either her or a co-worker's show. This one had a cast that made it more enjoyable then ones I've seen lately. There were 3 African Americans and a Latino character in it too. They all had pretty sizable roles too. Didn't feel like as much of a whitewash in the way too many of their movies do.

Heather Morris surprised me in a good way. She plays sweet,vulnerable and tough really well.  She's someone I wouldn't mind seeing in more Hallmark movies. Apparently it's on PixL's YouTube Channel to watch if your subscribed. I discovered that when I googled the movie and saw it listed on PixL's website.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2
(edited)

Pixl movies are pretty awesome- bummed that I missed one that was on Hallmark. Thanks for the heads up-will see if it's repeated.

How To Fall in Love is another good movie-it's on Hallmark tomorrow morning if anyone hasn't caught it yet. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

There was a cute Hallmark movie that I was glad that I decided to watch on the main channel that I had never seen. It was called "Romantically Speaking" from 2015 about a young woman named Ariel (Heather Morris) who's become a radio talk show host like her father was. Her specialty is relationships apparently. The story line is a typical Hallmark one where her friend has to pretend to be the boyfriend that broke up with her the night before so she can try and impress a couple that wants to syndicate either her or a co-worker's show. This one had a cast that made it more enjoyable then ones I've seen lately. There were 3 African Americans and a Latino character in it too. They all had pretty sizable roles too. Didn't feel like as much of a whitewash in the way too many of their movies do.

Heather Morris surprised me in a good way. She plays sweet,vulnerable and tough really well.  She's someone I wouldn't mind seeing in more Hallmark movies. Apparently it's on PixL's YouTube Channel to watch if your subscribed. I discovered that when I googled the movie and saw it listed on PixL's website.

Hallmark has been randomly airing some movies that premiered on PixL awhile back this year

I didn't realize until I read the replies to my earlier post and the IMDB page for Romantically Speaking that it was an original PixL movie. That explains the diversity and tone that seemed different than original Hallmark movies. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I didn't realize until I read the replies to my earlier post and the IMDB page for Romantically Speaking that it was an original PixL movie. That explains the diversity and tone that seemed different than original Hallmark movies. 

PixL does a little better job with diversity not just racial either they also have some movies more targeted to the younger demo than Hallmark.

• Love 3
(edited)

Romantically Speaking was decent, but the cliches were too much for me. Too many misunderstandings, then the sinister bad girl- it was tedious. The saving grace were the leads and their best friends, and the diversity was also very nice. I preferred the other two Pixl movies I've seen (Casa Vida and It Had to Be You).

Edited by twoods
12 hours ago, twoods said:

Romantically Speaking was decent, but the cliches were too much for me. Too many misunderstandings, then the sinister bad girl- it was tedious. The saving grace were the leads and their best friends, and the diversity was also very nice. I preferred the other two Pixl movies I've seen (Casa Vida and It Had to Be You).

It was the first PixL movie I had seen so that's probably why it seemed so different to me.

• Love 1

Hallmark also aired PixL movie When Duty Calls a month or two ago. That movie is about newlyweds who are struggling to find jobs and have to move in with the bride's parents in their retirement community.  It starred Daniella Monet.  I liked that one when I watched it last year because it was different. It wasn't a romcom and it was about realistic career struggles. 

I liked The Art of Love and it seemed to go against the standard Hallmark movie formula a bit.  There was no--I hate you at first, but must work with you--eventually giving in to my feelings--misunderstanding, conflict and anger at the 1:35 mark--neatly and quickly resolved by the end.   

They liked each other right away, she admitted her lie/embellishment right away, it was not neatly resolved in that she lost her job and he's still a dog walker living on a rickety boat...but art prevails!    Or something.

• Love 9

Wow, I call bullshit on "dog walker" as a profession that would make one suspect an artist's calling.  

Maybe I missed a line about how one of the lies was that Tom made a living by his art (though it's meant to be his first exhibit).  Artists, actors, writers -- until they catch on big-time (or have a trust fund), work lots of other jobs to pay rent.  

Over the years I have been forced to occasionally supplement my career choice, with crummy part-time jobs.  I wish *I'd* thought of walking dogs.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, voiceover said:

Wow, I call bullshit on "dog walker" as a profession that would make one suspect an artist's calling.  

Maybe I missed a line about how one of the lies was that Tom made a living by his art (though it's meant to be his first exhibit).  Artists, actors, writers -- until they catch on big-time (or have a trust fund), work lots of other jobs to pay rent.  

Over the years I have been forced to occasionally supplement my career choice, with crummy part-time jobs.  I wish *I'd* thought of walking dogs.

I'm watching that one now too. I like the leads together and the dog but this storyline is kind of ridiculous.

(edited)

I couldn't get past the story.  I like the actors but didn't feel much chem, maybe because of the story.  The ridiculousness of the need to lie and that people would just believe that.  The ridiculousness of needing to hide that an artist (authors should be included here too) needs a job to supplement their work.  It was eye roll worthy that the lead woman realized she should choose art rather than teaching when in all likelihood, she would do both.

Edited by Irlandesa