Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, tvchick said:

I looked around a bit online for info on a fourth Gourmet Detective movie and came across Dylan Neal's Facebook page.  Bottom line:  it's coming, probably later this year, and he sold another food-related rom-com script to Hallmark:

Gourmet Detective 4 news

If it's a rom-com and not a mystery, I guess it's based on this possibly? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29342078-truly-madly-sweetly

Upcoming Christmas Hallmark movies

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Hallmark-to-Present-Record-Number-of-Original-Holiday-Films-in-2017-20170223

Tia and Tamera would be perfect for this one

'Christmas Sister Swap'

Just because they are identical does not mean these twins even like each other. Estranged twin sisters get together for an obligatory pre-Christmas lunch, a year after their mother died. Both women are unhappy and frustrated with their own lives. Though not close, each is envious of the other's life. What's a twin to do but take advantage of this? And who would be the wiser? They do what any identical twins in need of new outlooks would do -- they swap lives until Christmas Day. And by doing so, each woman discovers the true meaning of her life and gains a deeper perspective and appreciation for what she already had

33 minutes ago, twoods said:

It's Hallmark so of course it won't be them- it will either be Caucasian twins or a well known Hallmark lead playing two characters. I hope I'm wrong.

Tamera would be perfect for the Hallmark brand. Other than being half black she's exactly the type of actress they love with the image they want.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2017 at 6:34 PM, JasmineFlower said:

Not affecting the quality from what little I saw, but still standing out to me - I've never seen Callum Blue looking more ordinary and blending into a scene in my life. That's on any show or movie I've seen him in, which are decent number at this point. Given how much I've loved him in other roles, I don't like the general idea of him being in this type of role. And he looks like himself, but something about him being this ordinary didn't scream Callum immediately that I was thinking he looked familiar but couldn't pinpoint him until like the 3rd scene he was in. He was a regular in 3 shows that I loved, so it's a bit odd to have any delay in recognizing him.

Now Victor? Still looking good.

I just finished watching Love Blossoms, and I wouldn't have even recognized Callum Blue if you hadn't mentioned that it was him. I loved him as Mason in Dead Like Me, and he is so completely different here--none of the charm I've seen from him in other roles, but I guess it wasn't his job to be charming in this one--it was Victor's, and he delivered. Now, that man is gorgeous.

I enjoyed it. Once I got used to Violet's (Patty Spivot!) frantic-ness, she thankfully settled down. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, just pleasant to watch. And gorgeous scenery. I'll give Hallmark that; even when domestic (U.S./Canadian) locations are substituted for other locations, everything's always beautifully shot. I really liked the girl who played Kimmy. I see she's from Ontario, Canada, so that little accent she had is probably not real, but it was cute, and so was she. All in all, thumbs up from me.    

ETA: Except for the huge waste of Emma Samms. I wish she would have been in it more. But she looked lovely for the minute or so she was in it, I thought.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

I've been seeing previews for Campfire Kiss with Danica McKellar and Paul Greene. Looking forward to seeing the two of them. However, I'm confused about what this movie is part of. The Valentine's Day movies are clearly over, but they are advertising spring fling as starting April 1st. It isn't a mystery movie. Campfire Kiss is airing March 18th. I wonder what the plan was for the movie.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, VMepicgrl said:

I've been seeing previews for Campfire Kiss with Danica McKellar and Paul Greene. Looking forward to seeing the two of them. However, I'm confused about what this movie is part of. The Valentine's Day movies are clearly over, but they are advertising spring fling as starting April 1st. It isn't a mystery movie. Campfire Kiss is airing March 18th. I wonder what the plan was for the movie.

I don't think there was an intent, exactly, other than what it is.  Hallmark has always had its blocks, although they seem to be adding more every year, but they still would show movies outside of those events.  Even though it technically mentioned Valentine's Day, Love Blossoms wasn't part of a block either.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't think there was an intent, exactly, other than what it is.  Hallmark has always had its blocks, although they seem to be adding more every year, but they still would show movies outside of those events.  Even though it technically mentioned Valentine's Day, Love Blossoms wasn't part of a block either.

Oh. I had assumed Love Blossoms WAS part of the Valentine's Day event. Now I'm trying to remember other individual movies from last year. Oh well. I'll just be happy to have something new after a few weeks with nothing.

• Love 1

The minute Paul Greene's character cheekily looked at Danica's character while he said "I love you" to his daughter, even though Danica didn't realize he was on the phone, I knew Campfire Kiss had potential.

At times, I couldn't believe how much time was left in the movie because the movie was essentially made up of vignettes where people do fun things at camp and that doesn't give me the feeling of a fast-moving movie.  But overall, I think Danica and Paul are both good actors with good chemistry who also believably played the awkward beats of uncertainty well.  The kid actors were decent too, especially the kid who played Danica's son.  The script even had some lines that made me genuinely laugh.  Maybe I was just in the right mood but things like Danica saying "I love you s'mores" to her son and having him roll his eyes or the way Paul Greene's character slid in between his daughter and the boy who was kind of eyeing her up tickled me. 

Even the "misunderstanding" worked, even though it was really silly because really, all she wanted to hear was that you hoped to have dinner when you get back.

Things that didn't work: The weird camp.  I know people who camp in tents in snow but they are hardcore campers.  Enough people like that to fill out a big camping adventure?  Hmm.  Those were some luxurious tents which I can believe exist (although I think yurts are more in fashion) but that pool would have been in a lodge where there are hotel rooms for Paul Greene's ex.  And as the daughter of teachers, no way, no how would I be cool with them making out and dancing at my middle school dance.

But eh--the more important things did work. All in all, I thought it was a nice little gem.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

What did everyone think of the new Aurora Teagarden mystery Dead Over Heels?  It was just so-so for me.  The main problem is that when a mystery series starts killing off long-time series characters as the plot point, it means the series is losing inspiration.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, susannot said:

What did everyone think of the new Aurora Te agarden mystery Dead Over Heels?  It was just so-so for me.  The main problem is that when a mystery series starts killing off long-time series characters as the plot point, it means the series is losing inspiration.

I'm with you. This one was not my favorite. I know the book this movie was based on the police chief was the victim too, so I was okay with that, but it seemed kind of boring but at the same time there was so much going on. I can't really explain exactly why I didn't like it, but I didn't.

It was OK, nothing more, but for some reason, it seemed like almost everyone was a redhead & that distracted me LOL.

15 hours ago, susannot said:

The main problem is that when a mystery series starts killing off long-time series characters as the plot point, it means the series is losing inspiration.

The Chief wasn't a major character, so it didn't bother me, but they never explained why his wife was acting like she didn't care at all. I read the books a long time ago & I don't remember the book the Chief was killed in, but I do remember (this is a MAJOR book spoiler)

Spoiler

that Aurora & Martin get married, & then he dies

I don't see the movies following this plot.

• Love 2

I felt it was confusing and convoluted. By the 2nd half I wasn't paying as much attention as I probably should have been and kept watching to get to the end.

Edited by Jaded

What did everyone think of the new Aurora Teagarden mystery Dead Over Heels?  It was just so-so for me.  The main problem is that when a mystery series starts killing off long-time series characters as the plot point, it means the series is losing inspiration.

I never thought these movies were amazing, but entertaining enough to watch once.  This one I thought it was so obvious who the killer was, that I found the other characters a little stupid for not realizing it sooner.  Also, that whole bit with the cop who knew that Martin was the killer and held him hostage until he confessed?  That was exceedingly stupid.  Not only would his confession (if he did confess) get thrown out, the cop himself would likely be fired for holding Martin hostage, and maybe even civilly liable. 

• Love 1

Campfire Kiss was actually the first Hallmark movie I've been able to sit through in a long time. It wasn't overly romantic and cheesy. The kid actors helped ground the main characters and their "love story" from being too over the top. I like Danica McKeller so that helped. I wish it wasn't named Campfire Kiss though. Sounds like a teenager named the movie. The idea of camping like that seemed out of character for Danica's character and no way would a man who owns a camping store ever camp in such a place like that. He'd be out roughing it in the woods. I'm glad the show didn't go the route of having the two maybe future step siblings crushing on each other. Overall, not a bad movie and I'm glad I DVR'd it to watch in bed the other night instead of skipping it all together. 

I like the Aurora Teargarden series and whoever mentioned all the red heads was right! I caught that too! I must be dense because it took me until the end to figure out who was guilty. 

There is a new Murder She Baked airing this Sunday which I'm looking forward to!

• Love 3

no way would a man who owns a camping store ever camp in such a place like that. He'd be out roughing it in the woods.

I think he went glamping for his daughter so they could spend some time together.   I really liked this one.  It was somewhat less cheesy and predictable than most Hallmark movies...and I never miss a one. 

• Love 6
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:12 PM, GaT said:

It was OK, nothing more, but for some reason, it seemed like almost everyone was a redhead & that distracted me LOL.

Not just red the same red. They seemingly had only one box of color for three actresses.

• Love 3

As I rewatch the Garage Sale Mystery marathon today, the thought onc again occurred to me that the lead characters of these mystery series aren't really great accidental detectives. They actually rarely suspect the killer until the killer is attempting to kill them, and usually after encouraging a romance between her BFF and the killer. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I think he went glamping for his daughter so they could spend some time together.   I really liked this one.  It was somewhat less cheesy and predictable than most Hallmark movies...and I never miss a one. 

Yeah - he pretty much made a comment about that to his daughter. That they weren't really going camping, like real in-the-woods camping, but in nice fancy tents or something to that effect.

• Love 1

I finally got around to watching the last two Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies and the last one Higher Ground seemed like it might really be the last one based on the ending kinda tying everything storyline wise up. I had trouble getting through Lost Without You because of how much religious stuff it had in it. It seemed like more then what they've had for their Christmas themed ones. Of course they had Shane start to decide to change her beliefs when it comes to her views on what she believed too. I enjoyed the Higher Ground movie a lot more.

• Love 1

I'm glad you brought up Higher Ground.  It is the only Signed, Sealed, Delivery movie I have watched or will ever watch.  While I liked Keb Mo and the Hurricane Katrina backstory, I disliked almost everything else. The ridiculously juvenile dialogue and wooden acting.  The two secondary characters whose names I have forgotten who adopt a potato.  The fact that I was unable to find the names of the older man who played the lead character's father, who was better looking than his son, nor the name of the lovely black actress that Keb Mo reunited with in a good scene.  The only one.  As someone else said ,I also do not like the pointed references to religion.  No doubt many people do like that, but Hallmark should be aware that it turns some people off.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I finally got around to watching the last two Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies and the last one Higher Ground seemed like it might really be the last one based on the ending kinda tying everything storyline wise up.

It's not.  There are at least two more coming this year. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, susannot said:

I'm glad you brought up Higher Ground.  It is the only Signed, Sealed, Delivery movie I have watched or will ever watch.  While I liked Keb Mo and the Hurricane Katrina backstory, I disliked almost everything else. The ridiculously juvenile dialogue and wooden acting.  The two secondary characters whose names I have forgotten who adopt a potato.  The fact that I was unable to find the names of the older man who played the lead character's father, who was better looking than his son, nor the name of the lovely black actress that Keb Mo reunited with in a good scene.  The only one.  As someone else said ,I also do not like the pointed references to religion.  No doubt many people do like that, but Hallmark should be aware that it turns some people off.

Oliver's father is played by Gregory Harrison. I kinda like that some parts of these movies are a bit hokey so that part doesn't bother me. I haven't minded religion references in past SSD movies since they didn't seem so ingrained into whatever storyline was being played out. Lost Without You felt like it was much more pointed and direct about it all.

12 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's not.  There are at least two more coming this year. 

I'm glad they aren't ending. I usually enjoy them for the most part. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, susannot said:

As someone else said ,I also do not like the pointed references to religion.  No doubt many people do like that, but Hallmark should be aware that it turns some people off.

That's my one problem with the SSD movies (& the show), it's got a bit too much religion in it for movies that aren't about religion. I don't have a problem with characters that attend religious services regularly, but in the SSD movies, there's too much "trust in God" stuff.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, GaT said:

That's my one problem with the SSD movies (& the show), it's got a bit too much religion in it for movies that aren't about religion. I don't have a problem with characters that attend religious services regularly, but in the SSD movies, there's too much "trust in God" stuff.

Hallmark is a Christian conservative leaning channel and always has been

• Love 3

Watching Campfire Kiss and enjoying it so far, but one thing really bugs me--not specifically about this movie, but about so many of these romance movies (and novels, for that matter) in general. I REALLY hate the "uptight, fussy, confrontational female" stereotype. Just once, I want to see a movie where the guy gets all worked up and flustered and uptight while the woman is the one who's more laid-back and jaded. I know, it wouldn't sell with romance fans, but just once. Hmm, maybe I'll have to go write that.

And to get back on topic, I like Danica McKellar's son in this; not quite sold on Paul Greene's daughter yet. But I love, love, love Paul Greene, so he always makes things better for me.

ETA: I ended up liking the daughter, too. In fact, I liked the entire movie. There were a few minor plot issues I could quibble with (which Irlandesa pretty much covered in her post), but they were easy enough for me to handwave away. All in all, one of the better ones IMO.

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 4

I loved, loved, loved Murder She Baked: Just Desserts tonight! It is the only HMM mystery series that has aired more  than three episodes that hasn't aired an episode that hasn't disappointed me.....yet. I'm already looking  forward to the next one!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, RedVelvetWaffles said:

I loved, loved, loved Murder She Baked: Just Desserts tonight! It is the only HMM mystery series that has aired more  than three episodes that hasn't aired an episode that hasn't disappointed me.....yet. I'm already looking  forward to the next one!

Has there been anything in the news on more of these movies? I mean, I know this one just aired, but I have a hard time finding news about this series, even on the hallmark website.

I really like this series, and the 2 months later/engagement thing did worry me a little that it was going to be the last one, which I really hope not! I think it's reasonable for them to end the will they/ won't they/ which guy thing, since I think the books drag it out forever... but I'd hate for this to be the last of the series.

• Love 1

I'm kind of new to these Hallmark movies, but I've seen a few that I really liked.  One of them had Allison Sweeney and a blueberry patch or something.

And I just discovered these Murder, She Baked movies.  I DVRed all of the older ones, and I'm currently watching the Peach Cobbler one, then I'll watch the new one from last night.

I tend to like good movies with actors and actresses that I enjoy, such as Allison Sweeney.

Can any of you recommend any other good ones?  The commercial for the movie with Jewel in it looks good.  Is that a series of movies, or just that one? Thanks!

3 hours ago, ShowsILoveToHate said:

The commercial for the movie with Jewel in it looks good.  Is that a series of movies, or just that one?

It's a series but only one has aired so far.  I didn't really like it so I hope the next installment is better. 

I would say I like the Murder She Baked series better than the other Mystery Women (Or Women of Mystery) movies. Another murder series I really enjoy is The Gourmet Detective but that has a male protagonist so they don't include it in the "women" series. 

The other HMM series I enjoy is Signed, Sealed, Delivered but that's a bit different than your murder of the week that the others present. 

On 3/25/2017 at 11:03 PM, GaT said:

I'm agnostic and usually don't like too much religion in my movies.  I normally can't with INSP channel movies but I don't hate it in SSD movies because for all there is a "trust in God" theme, the happy endings don't usually come about because of that trust in God.  In every result, there's usually deliberate thought, choices and agency that lead to the happy ending.  It's not like they say a prayer and then someone knocks at the door with a solution. Faith presents a steadying force for one character but the good advice comes from the wizened father and the less devout coworkers. The most religious character on the show is probably the most flawed as well.

Plus, the show is openly advertised as coming from the woman who brought us Touched By An Angel so I knew what I was getting.

21 hours ago, roctavia said:

I really like this series, and the 2 months later/engagement thing did worry me a little that it was going to be the last one, which I really hope not! I think it's reasonable for them to end the will they/ won't they/ which guy thing, since I think the books drag it out forever... but I'd hate for this to be the last of the series.

Good question.  That did feel like a nice button on the show. But, as I said above, it's my favorite mystery series.  I wonder if they'll completely ditch Norman as a character now that the triangle is over if the show goes on. 

I believe in the book she ends up

Spoiler

with a third party so I'm glad they seem to veering from that. 

We might hear more in May when more press releases go out.  I think the only reason I know that there are four more Garage Sale Mysteries is because Lori is talking about the Garage Sale Mystery August where there are four new ones. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

3 hours ago, ShowsILoveToHate said:

The commercial for the movie with Jewel in it looks good.  Is that a series of movies, or just that one?

It's a series but only one has aired so far.  I didn't really like it so I hope the next installment is better. 

I would say I like the Murder She Baked series better than the other Mystery Women (Or Women of Mystery) movies. Another murder series I really enjoy is The Gourmet Detective but that has a male protagonist so they don't include it in the "women" series. 

The other HMM series I enjoy is Signed, Sealed, Delivered but that's a bit different than your murder of the week that the others present. 

On 3/26/2017 at 0:03 AM, GaT said:

I'm agnostic and usually don't like too much religion in my movies.  I normally can't with INSP channel movies but I don't hate it in SSD movies because for all there is a "trust in God" theme, the happy endings don't usually come about because of that trust in God.  In every result, there's usually deliberate thought, choices and agency that lead to the happy ending.  It's not like they say a prayer and then someone knocks at the door with a solution. Faith presents a steadying force for one character but the good advice comes from the wizened father and the less devout coworkers. The most religious character on the show is probably the most flawed as well.

Plus, the show is openly advertised as coming from the woman who brought us Touched By An Angel so I knew what I was getting.

21 hours ago, roctavia said:

Good question.  That did feel like a nice button on the show. But, as I said above, it's my favorite mystery series.  I wonder if they'll completely ditch Norman as a character now that the triangle is over if the show goes on. 

I believe in the book she ends up

Hide contents

with a third party so I'm glad they seem to veering from that. 

We might hear more in May when more press releases go out.  I think the only reason I know that there are four more Garage Sale Mysteries is because Lori is talking about the Garage Sale Mystery August where there are four new ones. 

6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Those are my two favorites as well.  I love the food angle!

Someone said earlier that they did not think that these amateur mystery solvers were very good, as they usually ID'd the murderer when he or she was trying to kill them.  There is certainly a lot of truth to that. I feel that Aurora is a better detective than many of the others, because of her skills as a researcher.  I love books and reading and I think her literary knowledge has paid off in several cases. And the detective played by Brooke Burns in Gourmet Detective is always presented as highly professional and competent.  And of course Hannah always has Det. Mike as her backup and she usually gets there before him.

• Love 1

I just watched Murder She Baked: Just Desserts & it was just OK. Mixing high school basketball & baking doesn't really work IMO. I'll keep watching the movies, but I wouldn't miss them if they stopped. One thing about the Murder She Baked movies that I finally realized I hated is when multiple characters talk at the same time. It's usually Hannah and her mother and/or her sister & it's annoying as hell, they even had Hannah & Mike do it. Just have one person speak at a time so that I know what everyone is talking about.

• Love 1

I really like the Allison Sweeney series and the Lori Laughlin series...hopefully there will be more Brooke Shields movies.  I haven't seen the Jewel ones, so can't comment.  I just can't warm up to Candace Cameron's movies and I don't know why.  Same thing about the Kellie Martin ones.  Please let there be more Gourmet Detective.  The lady detective has STRAIGHT hair!!  No soap opera curls and extensions.  

• Love 1

I think it's reasonable for them to end the will they/ won't they/ which guy thing, since I think the books drag it out forever... but I'd hate for this to be the last of the series.

Ooh, good to know about the engagement! (I haven't seen the most recent one yet.) I was dreading them dragging out the stupid waffling between two guys like in the novels, apparently (doesn't a third suitor show up, too?).

One thing about the Murder She Baked movies that I finally realized I hated is when multiple characters talk at the same time.

Heh, I like it when it happens a little bit in shows; it makes the story seem more natural and realistic, since that's what happens in real life.  Frasier excelled at using this effect comically.

A more general question: lately in movies I've noticed they've used songs, generally of the folkish, hipstery kind, in different scenes.  Yet there is never any information that I can find about the singers or songs -- not in the credits, or on any website.  I even tried googling lyrics and got zip.  So are these songs they are commissioning for the movies?  Local artists who (I hope) get paid but don't get credit?  I really want to know!  And the funny thing is, it's not like I think the songs are that great, I just got curious about it.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, beadgirl said:

A more general question: lately in movies I've noticed they've used songs, generally of the folkish, hipstery kind, in different scenes.  Yet there is never any information that I can find about the singers or songs -- not in the credits, or on any website.  I even tried googling lyrics and got zip.  So are these songs they are commissioning for the movies?  Local artists who (I hope) get paid but don't get credit?  I really want to know!  And the funny thing is, it's not like I think the songs are that great, I just got curious about it.

Do you have a smart phone? I always use Shazam when I am curious about a song on a show I am watching and it usually finds it.

• Love 1

Murder She Baked is one of my favorite series, but I was a little disappointed in this one.  Things seemed...off for some reason.  Maybe it was the lighting or the gym setting, or the direction, I can't put my finger on it.  I also didn't care for the months-later-and-they're-engaged ending.  Why wouldn't they make the proposal part of the story line of a future episode?  I would have liked to see that, instead of it being a tacked-on afterthought.

• Love 4

I don't know how much interaction the various productions on these movies have with each other, but the last Murder She Baked followed by this Fixer Upper Mystery makes me think that somebody at Hallmark has an ax to grind with high school athletics.

At least I enjoyed both.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Taking this in here, because, Hallmark:

I hate cats. And yet, here I be, glued to "Meow Madness", because it is.  Awesome!

I kind of want Hallmark to do this with every big four championship and for the college football and basketball championships too. I just really want to see cats play hockey and baseball now. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mortonsalt said:

I just really want to see cats play hockey 

Okay.  That would be a riot!!  Hallmark: Make this happen.   A Kitty Stanley Cup!  How would they rename it??

• Love 2

I just watched Concrete Evidence: A Fixer Upper mystery. When I watched the first Fixer Upper movie, I posted the comment “they just had to have her sing. If this is a series, are they going to come up with excuses in every movie so that she can sing?” so imagine how happy I was to hear Jewel singing during the Lilly video. They really are going to have her singing in every movie, aren’t they?

He hair is certainly better, they got rid of the wig & used extensions instead. I still don’t like it though.

I think Fixer Upper is my least favorite of the mystery movies series, something about it just doesn't gel for me.

• Love 5

Nothing on Love At First Bark? Delurking because I have to comment on the absolute shrillness of the lead character at the end. Let's look past the ugly nursery and "puppery" that I'd want my money back if she'd designed or that the pregnant lady looked like she was 50 years old and carrying a child. Shall we focus on how she was in the process of scoring what promised to be a very, very big job with a very, very big client and she basically just blew him off at a party because she saw her love interest hug his ex-girlfriend. Nice job, Hallmark, in trying to highlight a strong businesswoman doing it on her own. Also, newborn dogs usually are adopted at the 8 week mark, so this lady spent all this money on a room for Ginger? Or was she keeping all of the puppies? Which would be ludicrous with a newborn baby? So many things wrong -- no chemistry between the main characters, the ex-girlfriend who just acquiesces the argument that precluded the breakup, and a fancy cocktail party to celebrate a dog giving birth? Ridic.

• Love 5

It's on the DVR but doesn't look appealing enough to tackle just yet. Glad to know it sucks ahead of time. 

I watched the Convenient Groom again and it was still weird watching it the second time. Too choppy and Vanessa Marcil was off the entire movie. I loved David Sucliffe but if he had a different lead with him it could have been better. I have liked most of his movies- he has such an easy chemistry with his leads.