Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
WendyCR72

Hallmark Channel Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love!

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'll definitely try to catch it!  Thanks for the input!

I'm not sure they will show it.  It hasn't been on Hallmark in several years despite the fact that it was a Hall of Fame movie (great talent in this including Patty Duke).  I think they just stick to the repetitive schlock now.

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post

17 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm not sure they will show it.  It hasn't been on Hallmark in several years despite the fact that it was a Hall of Fame movie (great talent in this including Patty Duke).  I think they just stick to the repetitive schlock now.

Oh, no!  Rats.  Patty Duke!  Wonder if I can find this on YouTube....

"Repetitive schlock" -- boy you got that right, @Kohola3.  Perfect description.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

In addition to Winter in Vail (Tyler Hynes/Lacey Chabert) and A Tidy Romance (Jill Wagner/Victor Webster), the next Winterfest movie in production is...

Alice in Winterland with Italia Ricci, Chad Michael Murray and Jack Turner.    (So Jack still gets to do a winter movie even though One Winter Wedding is apparently not happening yet.)

Alice in Winterland was originally supposed to be Alice in Christmasland, airing on the Hallmark Channel this holiday season, and I don't know if Italia was the intended star of it back then, but she is in it now. 

(Note that Winterfest movies are not Christmas/holiday movies -- it's a totally separate movie event in January --which is why I am bringing them up in this thread, where we talk about Hallmark movies.)

Edited by TVFan17
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks so much, @mikeb.

I'm waiting for them to do a Christmas movie with Meryl Streep reprising her role as Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada.  

Can't you see Miranda telling Santa Claus "bore someone else with your problems" before being miraculously re-routed by him from mid-town Manhattan to Merrydale USA?  The townsfolk enlist her expertise in judging their local gingerbread competition.  Miranda slowly sheds her workaholic ways, resigns from Runway, and opens up a small, quaint fashion shop on Main Street, next door to the diner where everyone drinks hot chocolate and not Starbucks.

That's all. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

I just watched A Family Thanksgiving on demand. I am glad there are some of my old favorites available that way. Hallmark and Lifetime are slim pickings, but Freeform on demand is a goldmine. I'm going to watch 12 Dates of Christmas, Angry Angel, Christmas Cupid, Christmas Do Over, The Mistletones, and Snowglobe among others. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, mikeb said:

It is being shown multiple times on Hallmark Drama this year, which unfortunately is the Hallmark channel with the most limited availability.

Not available to me but I bought the DVD when it became clear that the "fame" was long gone from all things Hallmark and they should change the name to Banal of Shame.

3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Patty Duke! 

She is so TINY.  And Carla Gugino and Vanessa Redgrave are in it as well.  Back when there was quality in Hallmark movies.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Valentine said:

I'm going to watch 12 Dates of Christmas,

This is another one that I really hope shows up on a channel I get this year.  Love it.  And for some reason it's not out on DVD. Or at least wasn't the last time I checked!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

She is so TINY.  And Carla Gugino and Vanessa Redgrave are in it as well.  Back when there was quality in Hallmark movies.

Vanessa Redgrave --  I'm speechless.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Vanessa Redgrave --  I'm speechless.  

Oops, wrong Redgrave. It was Lynn.  But Laura Dern is in it along with Kathy Baker.  Great cast but those were the days when the quality attracted great actors. I think back to Sarah Plain and Tall.

Oh, well, there are always DVDs....

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Homily said:

This is another one that I really hope shows up on a channel I get this year.  Love it.  And for some reason it's not out on DVD. Or at least wasn't the last time I checked!

It’s schedule on Freeform twice. Wednesday December 11th at 7:30am and Thursday December 19th at 10:30 am. 

Share this post


Link to post

It's about time to retire Lacey Chabert and Taylor Cole. I'm over both of them and have been for a while. There are so many better actresses to use - the girl that played the best friend of Ryan Paevy and there was a treehouse, the girl in the recent Tom Arnold save the old warehouse Christmas one, Snow Bride girl (dying to see her again)... I mean, there are so many others! (But not Candace)
 

One Winter Wedding (not a fan are you shocked, haha) will probably air in June during weddings month of course! Rename it to: One White Wedding? Clearly Hallmark needs to hire me lol!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, sistersledge said:

It's about time to retire Lacey Chabert and Taylor Cole. I'm over both of them and have been for a while. There are so many better actresses to use - the girl that played the best friend of Ryan Paevy and there was a treehouse, the girl in the recent Tom Arnold save the old warehouse Christmas one, Snow Bride girl (dying to see her again)... I mean, there are so many others! (But not Candace)

Unfortunately Katrina Law (Snow Bride girl) probably won’t be back anytime soon. She’s now a regular on Hawaii 5-0. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Dani said:

Unfortunately Katrina Law (Snow Bride girl) probably won’t be back anytime soon. She’s now a regular on Hawaii 5-0. 

In October, Katrina Law hinted that she may have something in the works (in response to someone's Twitter plea for her to come back to Hallmark or to make some sort of TV movie), but she could not say anything about it or expand on it further. 

So for her to even acknowledge that she may have something in the works probably means that it IS happening, or else she could just not respond and we'd never know the difference. 

Katrina has not filmed anything yet, so I think we can safely rule her out of Winterfest movies and probably Valentine movies.  Her Hallmark return could be anything from a Spring movie to a Christmas 2020 movie.   Maybe she will film something when she has an extended break from her series.

Katrina's sister-in-law, Tracy Andreen, is one of Hallmark's frequent writers, and so I think Katrina has an ongoing link to Hallmark through Tracy.  Tracy can write a movie and tell the Hallmark execs that she has Katrina in mind, in hopes that they will listen.  It keeps Katrina on the radar.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'm not familiar with the stories behind these companies -- all I know is that the Hallmark movies I've seen after 2012 or thereabouts (can't pinpoint exactly) are the creepily robotic ones they're plopping out now.  Those fantasy titles you mention sound like fun -- right up my alley.

They may pop up on a few of the free w/ ads streaming sites like The Roku Channel, Tubi and such. I think I even saw them on Up's on demand catalog for some reason. If you can get Pixl, some RHI movies appear there in the Larry Levinson catalog. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Oops, wrong Redgrave. It was Lynn.  But Laura Dern is in it along with Kathy Baker.  Great cast but those were the days when the quality attracted great actors. I think back to Sarah Plain and Tall.

Oh, well, there are always DVDs....

Lynn -- even better.

Yes, buh-bye, quality. 

I'm just wondering how many fictional "European" countries they can come up with for those stooopid commoner-meets-royalty plotlines.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/12/2019 at 2:23 PM, Kohola3 said:

Not available to me but I bought the DVD when it became clear that the "fame" was long gone from all things Hallmark and they should change the name to Banal of Shame.

She is so TINY.  And Carla Gugino and Vanessa Redgrave are in it as well.  Back when there was quality in Hallmark movies.

I had forgotten all about this one. I couldn't get in on any channel or stream I have so I ordered the DVD. 20 Bucks! Eh....My collection is pretty slim on actual Christmas movies so I sprang for it. The cast is great. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

I couldn't get in on any channel or stream I have so I ordered the DVD

Definitely worth the cost. I wouldn't pay 20 cents for what they are showing these days.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Definitely worth the cost. I wouldn't pay 20 cents for what they are showing these days.

The lat ones I bought were November Christmas. Cuz Sam Elliot is my pretend date! I also bought the Henry Winkler movie. Cuz...👍 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

Sam Elliot is my pretend date!

Sam Elliot is my pretend lover!  That voice, those eyes.  He wouldn't be caught dead in the recent load of banal stories.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/13/2019 at 1:44 AM, Happywatcher said:

Holy Cadoodles. The organizer of the Christmas Con. Check out the edits. Hallmark needs to run far from this train wreck.

Yeah, Kacey from the review/snark blog tvmoviechristmas.com was there as press, and... let's just say this wouldn't be an event for me.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Yeah, Kacey from the review/snark blog tvmoviechristmas.com was there as press, and... let's just say this wouldn't be an event for me.

That was hilarious.  Also not for me.  But part of me wishes I hadn't read the blog.  Seeing Paul Greene with his shirt unbuttoned ruined him for me.  Time and place, dude, there's a time and place.

And given Ryan Paevy's long lines, I guess we're never getting rid of him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Ever notice that whenever a character asks about recommendations for a nice restaurant in town, it's always an Italian place.   The safe "ethnic" choice!  (never Mexican, Thai, Indian, etc.)

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Two Turtle Doves. We like Nikki, and have so many questions. Is she a psychologist, neurologist, or psychiatrist? Why is she spazzing about the will? Why is the lawyer so into her right off? Why is his office so cool looking? Who thought the sister character needed a pregnancy appliance so huge she appear to be having 10 babies at once?

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, @MissyPoo!

I tried watching one of their new Christmas movies this evening -- at least, I think it was new, but not really paying attention, since there was a workaholic male lead who apparently could not be bothered by the holiday yet showed up at a Chicago tree lot manned by an African American secondary character offering everyone hot chocolate.....I couldn't go on, at that point I needed some grim reality so switched over to Sundance with the Preppy Central Park murder.        

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I guess it's "Christmas Under The Stars"

At first I was confusing it in my mind with the one where the workaholic male lead who can't be bothered with Christmas (and is looking after his sister's two children because she's in Norway on business with her husband) finds a Santa decoration on his front lawn and attempts to remove the thing with little success as it keeps coming back, apparently by a neighbor who wants to instill some holiday cheer into the poor misguided guy.   The title eludes me.  Another Hallmark "winner", lol.  

 

I want a Law and Order version of Hallmark.  Briscoe and Curtis find the body of Santa Claus stuffed up a chimney.  Lenny:  "And to all a good night.....except him"  

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/15/2019 at 6:52 PM, Kaoteek said:

Yeah, Kacey from the review/snark blog tvmoviechristmas.com was there as press, and... let's just say this wouldn't be an event for me.

Hee, what a great article, my kind of gal.  I think they would have to drug me to attend something so banal.  I'm surprised they weren't forced to chug hot chocolate and cookies and skate in and out of the place.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

I’m sure this has been mentioned before, but it kind of bugs me how bland so many of the male leads are. 

Plus a lot of them look alike.  There were a couple of movies where there were two guys and I couldn't tell them apart.  One of the boring princess movies comes to mind but since they all have the virtually same plot I couldn't tell you which one it was.  Something about a mountain or a ski lodge or some other ubiquitous plot.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Just caught up with A Christmas Miracle off the DVR. I know there was a fair amount of discussion here because the leads are some of the few minority Hallmark leads this season.

I thought the male lead may have been Hispanic seeing him on the ads, but watching the whole movie he is Black or maybe Caribbean island. Tamera being pregnant wasn't a big issue, they dressed her so that she looked normal size (for non movie stars) and she blended in.

The race thing didn't add or take anything away from the story. The distraction was the son--why was he sleeping on the couch? 

The bitch boss trope character was easy to hate, which made the mild work struggle plot driver more interesting than it would have been otherwise.

So, my point, race had no effect on the movie. They literally could have plugged any lead from the Hallmark stable into the movie. Which is probably the way it should be for Countdown to Christmas.

Edited by Happywatcher · Reason: spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Plus a lot of them look alike.  There were a couple of movies where there were two guys and I couldn't tell them apart.  One of the boring princess movies comes to mind but since they all have the virtually same plot I couldn't tell you which one it was.  Something about a mountain or a ski lodge or some other ubiquitous plot.

Another Italian restaurant last night "Primo", lol, where one of the characters (or was it two?) were celebrating....something.  Don't ask me the movie title, I couldn't tell you.

Those male model "actors" and the curling iron haired women are like something out of that great classic Twilight Zone episode "Number 12 Looks Just Like You".  

And have you noticed that the candy canes lining every Main Street storefront are becoming larger and more mutant?  It's like Christmas in Bizarro World.  Not a shred of reality when it comes to décor or characters.  (don't all our neighbors greet us during holiday season with "Hi! I've got a cup of hot chocolate just waiting for you")  I understand the concept of wish fulfillment but it sure would be nice to see people on screen who look and act like normal human beings. 

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

19 hours ago, Happywatcher said:

So, my point, race had no effect on the movie. They literally could have plugged any lead from the Hallmark stable into the movie. Which is probably the way it should be for Countdown to Christmas.

I don't quite understand your point. Are you saying that unless there is some sort of reason to do so (filmed in Harlem or some inner city locale) Hallmark should just stick to Caucasians for all of the Countdown to Christmas movies?

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/17/2019 at 7:29 AM, Bronx Babe said:

I guess it's "Christmas Under The Stars"

At first I was confusing it in my mind with the one where the workaholic male lead who can't be bothered with Christmas (and is looking after his sister's two children because she's in Norway on business with her husband) finds a Santa decoration on his front lawn and attempts to remove the thing with little success as it keeps coming back, apparently by a neighbor who wants to instill some holiday cheer into the poor misguided guy.   The title eludes me.  Another Hallmark "winner", lol.  

I just saw this one, it's called Christmas Next Door.  As Hallmark movies go it actually wasn't too bad but one thing I couldn't understand (as always with these movies) is how someone who seems to be eking out a living teaching music and occasionally playing piano in a restaurant can afford to live next door to a successful author who appears to be minting money with his books.

Edited by Homily
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I don't quite understand your point. Are you saying that unless there is some sort of reason to do so (filmed in Harlem or some inner city locale) Hallmark should just stick to Caucasians for all of the Countdown to Christmas movies?

That given the 4 basic storylines and messages in these movies, they can be acted by any pairing of skilled actors no matter their skin color. Maybe a throw away line relating to some ethnic grandparents for color (pun intended), but otherwise they should be based on lead chemistry 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/17/2019 at 6:21 PM, Happywatcher said:

Just caught up with A Christmas Miracle off the DVR. I know there was a fair amount of discussion here because the leads are some of the few minority Hallmark leads this season.

I thought the male lead may have been Hispanic seeing him on the ads, but watching the whole movie he is Black or maybe Caribbean island. Tamera being pregnant wasn't a big issue, they dressed her so that she looked normal size (for non movie stars) and she blended in.

The race thing didn't add or take anything away from the story. The distraction was the son--why was he sleeping on the couch? 

The bitch boss trope character was easy to hate, which made the mild work struggle plot driver more interesting than it would have been otherwise.

So, my point, race had no effect on the movie. They literally could have plugged any lead from the Hallmark stable into the movie. Which is probably the way it should be for Countdown to Christmas.

Tamera was not pregnant she actually announced early this year she's done having kids

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, In2You said:

Unfortunately I’m not surprised. Last Christmas I was hopeful Hallmark was serious about increasing diversity but the last year has proven that they have zero interest in hiring minorities and being more representative. At this point it is so bad that it’s has to be deliberate. 

Whenever I see the issue come up on Hallmark Channel’s Facebook the official response in laughable. They are catering to the close minded people who freak out about seeing anything that isn’t white, heteronormative and Christian. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, Dani said:

Unfortunately I’m not surprised. Last Christmas I was hopeful Hallmark was serious about increasing diversity but the last year has proven that they have zero interest in hiring minorities and being more representative. At this point it is so bad that it’s has to be deliberate. 

Whenever I see the issue come up on Hallmark Channel’s Facebook the official response in laughable. They are catering to the close minded people who freak out about seeing anything that isn’t white, heteronormative and Christian. 

Amen to that.  It's like the company is owned by white evangelical Christians - no one of any other race, creed, or color need apply.  And yet they preach about the "miracle of Christmas" (which ostensibly preaches love for all) in every single movie.  Hypocrites.

From the 1st of November to the 15th of January there are approximately 29 holidays observed by the 7 of the world's major religions.  Apparently Hallmark has decided that theirs is the only one that counts.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Eh.  There are hundreds of television channels and tons of other platforms, so it doesn't bother me if one wants to cater to Christians.  And It's fine by me if Christians like to watch and read things that reflect their culture and values.  I buy a lot of Kindle books and there's a huge market for Christian fiction.  It's not my cup of tea, but that's what a particular group enjoys... so I'm not going to get upset over it.  They are allowed to have their views and preferences too, in my opinion. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Homily said:

I just saw this one, it's called Christmas Next Door.  As Hallmark movies go it actually wasn't too bad but one thing I couldn't understand (as always with these movies) is how someone who seems to be eking out a living teaching music and occasionally playing piano in a restaurant can afford to live next door to a successful author who appears to be minting money with his books.

Thanks for the title.  

Hallmark and reality are worlds apart, lol.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, Bronx Babe said:

I understand the concept of wish fulfillment but it sure would be nice to see people on screen who look and act like normal human beings. 

LOL, but I'm trying to get away from the normal human beings who are mean and rude. 

I want to live in a Hallmark world! Where Daniel Lissing gazes at me like every word out of my mouth is the wisest, most important thing EVER! Where I could get Daniel to sit down with me and hot glue Christmas wreaths and stockings together and talk about everything happy. Rather than the frat-boy type that tries to impress me by belching jingle bells. 

I like to make fun of Hallmark but I also want part of their bliss. 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Eh.  There are hundreds of television channels and tons of other platforms, so it doesn't bother me if one wants to cater to Christians.  And It's fine by me if Christians like to watch and read things that reflect their culture and values.  I buy a lot of Kindle books and there's a huge market for Christian fiction.  It's not my cup of tea, but that's what a particular group enjoys... so I'm not going to get upset over it.  They are allowed to have their views and preferences too, in my opinion. 

My problem isn’t that they cater to Christians. I am a Christian. I was talking about a very specific segment of Hallmark’s fan base that I have seen making complaints on Hallmark’s social media. The people that complain when they see a commercial feature a same sex couple or an interracial couple. In my mind those aren’t Christian values and I don’t really consider the movies to be Christian. Hallmark seems to be moving away from increased representation despite claiming to be focused on diversity. I would not be complaining about the Hanukkah movies if they hadn’t announced Hanukkah themed movies. 

Edited by Dani
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Dani said:

Unfortunately I’m not surprised. Last Christmas I was hopeful Hallmark was serious about increasing diversity but the last year has proven that they have zero interest in hiring minorities and being more representative. At this point it is so bad that it’s has to be deliberate. 

Whenever I see the issue come up on Hallmark Channel’s Facebook the official response in laughable. They are catering to the close minded people who freak out about seeing anything that isn’t white, heteronormative and Christian. 

Yep!

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

LOL, but I'm trying to get away from the normal human beings who are mean and rude. 

I want to live in a Hallmark world! Where Daniel Lissing gazes at me like every word out of my mouth is the wisest, most important thing EVER! Where I could get Daniel to sit down with me and hot glue Christmas wreaths and stockings together and talk about everything happy. Rather than the frat-boy type that tries to impress me by belching jingle bells. 

I like to make fun of Hallmark but I also want part of their bliss. 

That's a great way of putting it -- wanting to be part of the bliss!  

When I first started watching Hallmark's rom coms and angelic intervention/Santa magic stories about 9 years ago, I remember thinking... Wait, I'm not supposed to like these movies, am I?   I had read comments from people who were making fun of the movies and of the people who watched them, and I noticed there was a definite stigma attached to the genre in general, but especially to Hallmark more than Lifetime.    So, at that time, it was a sort of "should I admit that I watch the movies" situation for me, because they were not supposed to be acceptable unless they were Hall of Fame installments.  They were treated as more of a joke than as actual, legitimate TV content.

And then... a particular holiday season came along that didn't go so well for me, for several different reasons.  I was mopey and depressed for the first half of it, and sick with some mysterious bug for two months into the next year.  I turned on the Hallmark Channel, and those silly little Christmas rom coms and feel-good movies were like a soothing salve for my mind and soul.  They rescued the rest of my holiday season by putting me in a more chipper mood, boosting my spirit and giving me something to feel joyful about since everything else had gone awry.  The movies were like a warm, comforting hug.

Over the years, I have settled into a mindset of not only openly and freely admitting that I watch the movies and that I am a fan, but eagerly awaiting the different themed movie events throughout the year, and making the Countdown to Christmas & Miracles of Christmas a big part of my own annual holiday traditions.

It's not that I think that every decision Hallmark makes is great.  I don't.  They frustrate and baffle me on numerous occasions.   It's not that I love every movie -- there are plenty of them that I don't love.   BUT, as a collection and genre in general, I'm happy the brand/network and the movies exist because they provide a nice escape from reality, and they can really brighten up a bad day or a bad holiday season.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

BUT, as a collection and genre in general, I'm happy the brand/network and the movies exist because they provide a nice escape from reality, and they can really brighten up a bad day or a bad holiday season.

So true!  The last couple of Christmases in our family have coincided with some really bad and sad stuff happening.  Christmas movies with their happy endings and undemanding plots were my escape.  I didn't want real world angst - I was living it!  This year things are better in the family (so far knock wood!!!) but I'm still enjoying the escapism and the happy endings - but that said some of the movies I either watch 5 minutes and delete or watch 10 minutes and FF to the end to see how it all turned out - just couldn't watch the whole thing ☺️

Edited by Homily
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size