Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Definitely worth the cost. I wouldn't pay 20 cents for what they are showing these days.

The lat ones I bought were November Christmas. Cuz Sam Elliot is my pretend date! I also bought the Henry Winkler movie. Cuz...👍 

• Love 1
On 11/13/2019 at 1:44 AM, Happywatcher said:

Holy Cadoodles. The organizer of the Christmas Con. Check out the edits. Hallmark needs to run far from this train wreck.

Yeah, Kacey from the review/snark blog tvmoviechristmas.com was there as press, and... let's just say this wouldn't be an event for me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Yeah, Kacey from the review/snark blog tvmoviechristmas.com was there as press, and... let's just say this wouldn't be an event for me.

That was hilarious.  Also not for me.  But part of me wishes I hadn't read the blog.  Seeing Paul Greene with his shirt unbuttoned ruined him for me.  Time and place, dude, there's a time and place.

And given Ryan Paevy's long lines, I guess we're never getting rid of him.

• Love 2

Two Turtle Doves. We like Nikki, and have so many questions. Is she a psychologist, neurologist, or psychiatrist? Why is she spazzing about the will? Why is the lawyer so into her right off? Why is his office so cool looking? Who thought the sister character needed a pregnancy appliance so huge she appear to be having 10 babies at once?

• LOL 1

Thanks, @MissyPoo!

I tried watching one of their new Christmas movies this evening -- at least, I think it was new, but not really paying attention, since there was a workaholic male lead who apparently could not be bothered by the holiday yet showed up at a Chicago tree lot manned by an African American secondary character offering everyone hot chocolate.....I couldn't go on, at that point I needed some grim reality so switched over to Sundance with the Preppy Central Park murder.        

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Love 2

I guess it's "Christmas Under The Stars"

At first I was confusing it in my mind with the one where the workaholic male lead who can't be bothered with Christmas (and is looking after his sister's two children because she's in Norway on business with her husband) finds a Santa decoration on his front lawn and attempts to remove the thing with little success as it keeps coming back, apparently by a neighbor who wants to instill some holiday cheer into the poor misguided guy.   The title eludes me.  Another Hallmark "winner", lol.  

I want a Law and Order version of Hallmark.  Briscoe and Curtis find the body of Santa Claus stuffed up a chimney.  Lenny:  "And to all a good night.....except him"  

• LOL 7
On 11/15/2019 at 6:52 PM, Kaoteek said:

Hee, what a great article, my kind of gal.  I think they would have to drug me to attend something so banal.  I'm surprised they weren't forced to chug hot chocolate and cookies and skate in and out of the place.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Sara2009 said:

I’m sure this has been mentioned before, but it kind of bugs me how bland so many of the male leads are. 

Plus a lot of them look alike.  There were a couple of movies where there were two guys and I couldn't tell them apart.  One of the boring princess movies comes to mind but since they all have the virtually same plot I couldn't tell you which one it was.  Something about a mountain or a ski lodge or some other ubiquitous plot.

• Love 4

Just caught up with A Christmas Miracle off the DVR. I know there was a fair amount of discussion here because the leads are some of the few minority Hallmark leads this season.

I thought the male lead may have been Hispanic seeing him on the ads, but watching the whole movie he is Black or maybe Caribbean island. Tamera being pregnant wasn't a big issue, they dressed her so that she looked normal size (for non movie stars) and she blended in.

The race thing didn't add or take anything away from the story. The distraction was the son--why was he sleeping on the couch? 

The bitch boss trope character was easy to hate, which made the mild work struggle plot driver more interesting than it would have been otherwise.

So, my point, race had no effect on the movie. They literally could have plugged any lead from the Hallmark stable into the movie. Which is probably the way it should be for Countdown to Christmas.

Edited by Happywatcher
spelling
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Plus a lot of them look alike.  There were a couple of movies where there were two guys and I couldn't tell them apart.  One of the boring princess movies comes to mind but since they all have the virtually same plot I couldn't tell you which one it was.  Something about a mountain or a ski lodge or some other ubiquitous plot.

Another Italian restaurant last night "Primo", lol, where one of the characters (or was it two?) were celebrating....something.  Don't ask me the movie title, I couldn't tell you.

Those male model "actors" and the curling iron haired women are like something out of that great classic Twilight Zone episode "Number 12 Looks Just Like You".  

And have you noticed that the candy canes lining every Main Street storefront are becoming larger and more mutant?  It's like Christmas in Bizarro World.  Not a shred of reality when it comes to décor or characters.  (don't all our neighbors greet us during holiday season with "Hi! I've got a cup of hot chocolate just waiting for you")  I understand the concept of wish fulfillment but it sure would be nice to see people on screen who look and act like normal human beings. 

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Happywatcher said:

So, my point, race had no effect on the movie. They literally could have plugged any lead from the Hallmark stable into the movie. Which is probably the way it should be for Countdown to Christmas.

I don't quite understand your point. Are you saying that unless there is some sort of reason to do so (filmed in Harlem or some inner city locale) Hallmark should just stick to Caucasians for all of the Countdown to Christmas movies?

On 11/17/2019 at 7:29 AM, Bronx Babe said:

I guess it's "Christmas Under The Stars"

At first I was confusing it in my mind with the one where the workaholic male lead who can't be bothered with Christmas (and is looking after his sister's two children because she's in Norway on business with her husband) finds a Santa decoration on his front lawn and attempts to remove the thing with little success as it keeps coming back, apparently by a neighbor who wants to instill some holiday cheer into the poor misguided guy.   The title eludes me.  Another Hallmark "winner", lol.  

I just saw this one, it's called Christmas Next Door.  As Hallmark movies go it actually wasn't too bad but one thing I couldn't understand (as always with these movies) is how someone who seems to be eking out a living teaching music and occasionally playing piano in a restaurant can afford to live next door to a successful author who appears to be minting money with his books.

Edited by Homily
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I don't quite understand your point. Are you saying that unless there is some sort of reason to do so (filmed in Harlem or some inner city locale) Hallmark should just stick to Caucasians for all of the Countdown to Christmas movies?

That given the 4 basic storylines and messages in these movies, they can be acted by any pairing of skilled actors no matter their skin color. Maybe a throw away line relating to some ethnic grandparents for color (pun intended), but otherwise they should be based on lead chemistry 

On 11/17/2019 at 6:21 PM, Happywatcher said:

Just caught up with A Christmas Miracle off the DVR. I know there was a fair amount of discussion here because the leads are some of the few minority Hallmark leads this season.

I thought the male lead may have been Hispanic seeing him on the ads, but watching the whole movie he is Black or maybe Caribbean island. Tamera being pregnant wasn't a big issue, they dressed her so that she looked normal size (for non movie stars) and she blended in.

The race thing didn't add or take anything away from the story. The distraction was the son--why was he sleeping on the couch? 

The bitch boss trope character was easy to hate, which made the mild work struggle plot driver more interesting than it would have been otherwise.

Tamera was not pregnant she actually announced early this year she's done having kids

1 hour ago, In2You said:

Unfortunately I’m not surprised. Last Christmas I was hopeful Hallmark was serious about increasing diversity but the last year has proven that they have zero interest in hiring minorities and being more representative. At this point it is so bad that it’s has to be deliberate. 

Whenever I see the issue come up on Hallmark Channel’s Facebook the official response in laughable. They are catering to the close minded people who freak out about seeing anything that isn’t white, heteronormative and Christian. 

Edited by Guest
8 hours ago, Dani said:

Unfortunately I’m not surprised. Last Christmas I was hopeful Hallmark was serious about increasing diversity but the last year has proven that they have zero interest in hiring minorities and being more representative. At this point it is so bad that it’s has to be deliberate. 

Whenever I see the issue come up on Hallmark Channel’s Facebook the official response in laughable. They are catering to the close minded people who freak out about seeing anything that isn’t white, heteronormative and Christian. 

Amen to that.  It's like the company is owned by white evangelical Christians - no one of any other race, creed, or color need apply.  And yet they preach about the "miracle of Christmas" (which ostensibly preaches love for all) in every single movie.  Hypocrites.

From the 1st of November to the 15th of January there are approximately 29 holidays observed by the 7 of the world's major religions.  Apparently Hallmark has decided that theirs is the only one that counts.

• Love 3

Eh.  There are hundreds of television channels and tons of other platforms, so it doesn't bother me if one wants to cater to Christians.  And It's fine by me if Christians like to watch and read things that reflect their culture and values.  I buy a lot of Kindle books and there's a huge market for Christian fiction.  It's not my cup of tea, but that's what a particular group enjoys... so I'm not going to get upset over it.  They are allowed to have their views and preferences too, in my opinion. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Homily said:

I just saw this one, it's called Christmas Next Door.  As Hallmark movies go it actually wasn't too bad but one thing I couldn't understand (as always with these movies) is how someone who seems to be eking out a living teaching music and occasionally playing piano in a restaurant can afford to live next door to a successful author who appears to be minting money with his books.

Thanks for the title.  

Hallmark and reality are worlds apart, lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, Bronx Babe said:

I understand the concept of wish fulfillment but it sure would be nice to see people on screen who look and act like normal human beings. 

LOL, but I'm trying to get away from the normal human beings who are mean and rude. 

I want to live in a Hallmark world! Where Daniel Lissing gazes at me like every word out of my mouth is the wisest, most important thing EVER! Where I could get Daniel to sit down with me and hot glue Christmas wreaths and stockings together and talk about everything happy. Rather than the frat-boy type that tries to impress me by belching jingle bells. 

I like to make fun of Hallmark but I also want part of their bliss. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Eh.  There are hundreds of television channels and tons of other platforms, so it doesn't bother me if one wants to cater to Christians.  And It's fine by me if Christians like to watch and read things that reflect their culture and values.  I buy a lot of Kindle books and there's a huge market for Christian fiction.  It's not my cup of tea, but that's what a particular group enjoys... so I'm not going to get upset over it.  They are allowed to have their views and preferences too, in my opinion. 

My problem isn’t that they cater to Christians. I am a Christian. I was talking about a very specific segment of Hallmark’s fan base that I have seen making complaints on Hallmark’s social media. The people that complain when they see a commercial feature a same sex couple or an interracial couple. In my mind those aren’t Christian values and I don’t really consider the movies to be Christian. Hallmark seems to be moving away from increased representation despite claiming to be focused on diversity. I would not be complaining about the Hanukkah movies if they hadn’t announced Hanukkah themed movies. 

Edited by Guest
18 hours ago, Dani said:

Yep!

4 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

LOL, but I'm trying to get away from the normal human beings who are mean and rude. 

I want to live in a Hallmark world! Where Daniel Lissing gazes at me like every word out of my mouth is the wisest, most important thing EVER! Where I could get Daniel to sit down with me and hot glue Christmas wreaths and stockings together and talk about everything happy. Rather than the frat-boy type that tries to impress me by belching jingle bells. 

I like to make fun of Hallmark but I also want part of their bliss. 

That's a great way of putting it -- wanting to be part of the bliss!  

When I first started watching Hallmark's rom coms and angelic intervention/Santa magic stories about 9 years ago, I remember thinking... Wait, I'm not supposed to like these movies, am I?   I had read comments from people who were making fun of the movies and of the people who watched them, and I noticed there was a definite stigma attached to the genre in general, but especially to Hallmark more than Lifetime.    So, at that time, it was a sort of "should I admit that I watch the movies" situation for me, because they were not supposed to be acceptable unless they were Hall of Fame installments.  They were treated as more of a joke than as actual, legitimate TV content.

And then... a particular holiday season came along that didn't go so well for me, for several different reasons.  I was mopey and depressed for the first half of it, and sick with some mysterious bug for two months into the next year.  I turned on the Hallmark Channel, and those silly little Christmas rom coms and feel-good movies were like a soothing salve for my mind and soul.  They rescued the rest of my holiday season by putting me in a more chipper mood, boosting my spirit and giving me something to feel joyful about since everything else had gone awry.  The movies were like a warm, comforting hug.

Over the years, I have settled into a mindset of not only openly and freely admitting that I watch the movies and that I am a fan, but eagerly awaiting the different themed movie events throughout the year, and making the Countdown to Christmas & Miracles of Christmas a big part of my own annual holiday traditions.

It's not that I think that every decision Hallmark makes is great.  I don't.  They frustrate and baffle me on numerous occasions.   It's not that I love every movie -- there are plenty of them that I don't love.   BUT, as a collection and genre in general, I'm happy the brand/network and the movies exist because they provide a nice escape from reality, and they can really brighten up a bad day or a bad holiday season.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 12
55 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

BUT, as a collection and genre in general, I'm happy the brand/network and the movies exist because they provide a nice escape from reality, and they can really brighten up a bad day or a bad holiday season.

So true!  The last couple of Christmases in our family have coincided with some really bad and sad stuff happening.  Christmas movies with their happy endings and undemanding plots were my escape.  I didn't want real world angst - I was living it!  This year things are better in the family (so far knock wood!!!) but I'm still enjoying the escapism and the happy endings - but that said some of the movies I either watch 5 minutes and delete or watch 10 minutes and FF to the end to see how it all turned out - just couldn't watch the whole thing ☺️

Edited by Homily
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, In2You said:

Yep!

I listened to that podcast and that part really pissed me off. It was also bad when he deflected the issue by acting like it’s an issue with not getting good scripts when 99% of their movies are generic enough that any ethnicity could be cast in the role. 

Unless my counts off or they are adding a movie he’s wrong and it’s only 3 out of 40 with black leads.  A Christmas Miracle, Christmas Duet and A Family Christmas. 

4 hours ago, Dani said:

Hallmark seems to be moving away from increased representation despite claiming to be focused on diversity. I would not be complaining about the Hanukkah movies if they hadn’t announced Hanukkah themed movies. 

Hallmark claiming diversity is would be amusing if it weren't so blatantly offensive.  I find nothing "feel good" about the movies because they are so insipid, bland, and stupid, recycling the same tired plots over and over.  Their "evidence" for not catering to a lily white population by having a couple of people of color in minor roles is insulting and indefensible.  This is a country with the most diverse population in the world. Time to act like it.

• Love 4

So I've been watching Hallmark movies for many years now and the thing that got me hooked on them was how everyone treated each other with kindness, the bad guys got it in the end, the good guys won, and there was a nice love story throughout. Not every one of them was enjoyable, some made me want to empty a bottle of wine to get through so I skipped those and focused on the ones I enjoyed. I don't celebrate Christmas myself but I do love the lights, the winter clothes, the creative decor (when it's not overdone like current Hallmarklandia) and the overall good nature.

Saying that, Hallmark isn't above criticism and I'm glad people are calling them out because it's 2019 already and other channels are light years ahead of them. When the channel calls for kindness, warmth, family, friendship, and goodwill toward your fellow neighbor but the neighbor and everyone looks, acts, thinks, and are the same, it rings hollow on the whole goodwill thing. Like it's reserved only for a certain set of people. I was glad when there were more movies featuring POCs but when the channel deliberately goes out of their way to bury said movies, but also tout how open-minded they are, they shoot themselves in the foot. Hallmark started a nice niche genre but I'm hoping another channel like Pixl of olde steps up to showcase real diversity in stories and characters, not just give it lip service.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Hallmark claiming diversity is would be amusing if it weren't so blatantly offensive.  I find nothing "feel good" about the movies because they are so insipid, bland, and stupid, recycling the same tired plots over and over.  Their "evidence" for not catering to a lily white population by having a couple of people of color in minor roles is insulting and indefensible.  This is a country with the most diverse population in the world. Time to act like it.

Even with the movies with black character leads they don't feel like black characters to me. There's a noticeable absence of black culture. On top of that majority of the actors they use are half white but that's a whole other fight.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, In2You said:

Yep!

As a culturally Jewish person who mostly enjoys these movies (while also making fun of them), this is disappointing but not really surprising. When I first read the announcements about the movies, they sounded desperate to insist that they would be including BOTH CHRISTMAS AND HANUKKAH. So not to worry people - no complete focus on Hanukkah for 2 whole movies. Not like there's any towns in the country with large enough Jewish populations to get away with that 🙄(it would have been okay to see some Christmas decorations in the background while walking around town or whatever since that would still be likely even if all the main characters were Jewish). Then I was further concerned when I saw who was cast in the movies and it seemed that none of the actors were actually Jewish. I think I ultimately saw one, but I actually think it might be for a movie on another channel unless I'm remembering wrong. And I also heard about the supposed delay in having these movies being lack of "good scripts" about Hanukkah. That's also stupid, as any of the less religious Christmas storylines could easily be changed to fit Hanukkah. Hanukkah is about a miracle, too. Easy to relate that to love, etc. And not a very religious holiday, so don't have to worry about too much there. I'll probably watch out of curiosity but I won't get my hopes up.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

As a culturally Jewish person who mostly enjoys these movies (while also making fun of them), this is disappointing but not really surprising. When I first read the announcements about the movies, they sounded desperate to insist that they would be including BOTH CHRISTMAS AND HANUKKAH. So not to worry people - no complete focus on Hanukkah for 2 whole movies. Not like there's any towns in the country with large enough Jewish populations to get away with that 🙄(it would have been okay to see some Christmas decorations in the background while walking around town or whatever since that would still be likely even if all the main characters were Jewish). Then I was further concerned when I saw who was cast in the movies and it seemed that none of the actors were actually Jewish. I think I ultimately saw one, but I actually think it might be for a movie on another channel unless I'm remembering wrong. And I also heard about the supposed delay in having these movies being lack of "good scripts" about Hanukkah. That's also stupid, as any of the less religious Christmas storylines could easily be changed to fit Hanukkah. Hanukkah is about a miracle, too. Easy to relate that to love, etc. And not a very religious holiday, so don't have to worry about too much there. I'll probably watch out of curiosity but I won't get my hopes up.

That was probably Lifetime’s Mistletoe and Menorahs starring Jake Epstein.

Any excuse that claims a lack of “good scripts” makes me roll my eyes. I take that to really mean they aren’t looking for diverse scripts so of course they haven’t seen any that are good. 

Edited by Guest
6 hours ago, Homily said:

So true!  The last couple of Christmases in our family have coincided with some really bad and sad stuff happening.  Christmas movies with their happy endings and undemanding plots were my escape.  I didn't want real world angst - I was living it!  This year things are better in the family (so far knock wood!!!) but I'm still enjoying the escapism and the happy endings - but that said some of the movies I either watch 5 minutes and delete or watch 10 minutes and FF to the end to see how it all turned out - just couldn't watch the whole thing ☺️

I've seen a lot of people say the same kind of thing over the years -- they were having difficult holiday seasons or were having bad years in general (even outside of the holidays) or going through rough patches in their lives, and they turned on a Hallmark movie as an escape and found themselves hooked in after that.   Entertainment should always be an escape, but there is something particularly sweet and comforting about the charming Christmas towns, festive scenery, warm, friendly neighbors and merchants, familiar stories, etc.  I especially enjoy the movies where the indoor decorations are really elaborate, to the point of decor hung on cabinets, garland draped across picture frames or oven doors, etc.!  lol

I usually don't turn off a Hallmark movie and stop watching it without going back to it at some point later and watching the rest of it just to see it through, but I have stopped watching movies after a short bit if I just wasn't in the mood to watch something for 2 hours, or if it wasn't holding my attention well enough.  I have also given up on some non-Hallmark Christmas movies after 30 minutes or so, without resuming them at a later time.  I started to watch one of Lifetime's new movies yesterday and it wasn't as good as I hoped/thought it would be so I stopped watching it somewhere in the middle.  I am still debating on whether or not to pick it up where I left off.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3

I am not really a big watcher of these movies, I'm more of a Hallmark series girl (though they're losing me -- WCTH jumped the shark when a certain someone left, Good Witch was good but has run out of story to tell, and Chesapeake Shores is beautiful to look at but also seems like it's running out of story), but this discussion is interesting, because I believe Hallmark can and should be better.  There's a place in the world for their brand of entertainment.

You can be feel good entertainment without resorting to banality.  There are lots of "family friendly" shows and movies that have interesting and unique plots.  You can be Christian-focused while still acknowledging the existence (and merits!) of other religions.  These things are not mutually exclusive.  And Hallmark is completely contradicting their own message of Christmassy cheer and love towards thy neighbor and all of that by sending not-so-subtle messages that that only applies to your fellow white Christian upper middle class neighbors. 

And I'm all for escapist fantasy and all that, but if your escapist fantasy involves escaping to a world where everyone is exactly like you, then...um...that's a little problematic.   

• Love 10
11 hours ago, In2You said:

Even with the movies with black character leads they don't feel like black characters to me. There's a noticeable absence of black culture. On top of that majority of the actors they use are half white but that's a whole other fight.

I'm not gonna lie, I am ignorant of Black culture as it relates to Christmas.

I think a problem that would likely arise if the Hallmark factory attempted to integrate Black culture into its very rigid formula is that it would be to portray that all Black people are living poor in the ghetto.

But the nut of it is, to me, that I don't know ANYONE, regardless of color or income, who is as weirdly into Christmas as the crazies in the Hallmark movies. Maybe POC should be grateful to be left out. Just sayin.

I have enjoyed many of the Hallmark movies in the past, but they are so cookie-cutter (no pun intended) and bland and often ridiculous now. To me, they don't provide the easy enjoyment that they did before. You can almost see the pressure to crank out the product on the screen.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dubstepford wife said:

And I'm all for escapist fantasy and all that, but if your escapist fantasy involves escaping to a world where everyone is exactly like you, then...um...that's a little problematic.   

I get what you're saying but the movies I've been watching, while they may be ethnically the same as me, well other than that they really aren't.  Mostly I'm not that nice for one thing.  Or as rich.  And the people the main characters interact with really do tend to be the stuff of fantasy for me, and I would suspect most of us.   I don't mean it to sound like I'm surrounded by grinches but I sure don't live in a small town filled with caring neighbours who love me!

• Love 3

I am so glad to have found this forum!!! I love these movies. 

I would like to see someone living in a small apartment and working on blue collar job enjoying Christmas and falling in love. Everyone has the perfect house and decorations in these. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

I would like to see someone living in a small apartment and working on blue collar job enjoying Christmas and falling in love. Everyone has the perfect house and decorations in these. 

Funny you should say that. Last night, I watched Nine Lives of Christmas, and I was thinking about the fact that Marilee's apartment is the closest I've ever seen to a realistic apartment on this show, since it isn't set up as large or lavishly decorated. It also occurred to me last night for the first time that she's one of the very few heroines that doesn't have a glamorous job. She works at a pet food store.

Maybe that's why I love this movie so much (well, beside Kimberly Sustad and Brandon Routh)—Marilee is one of the most relatable heroines in Hallmark movie history! 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

Nine Lives of Christmas is a great example (mentioned by kirinan, above). 

I would think that Darcy's original bookstore job for the majority of the first A Gift to Remember movie couldn't have paid much, and her apartment was less posh than some of the other apartments and houses we have seen in the movies, but it was larger than I would expect for someone on a bookstore salary.  It was nicely decorated and looked very cozy and amazing.  And she did get promoted to a better job before the movie was over.   She was riding a bicycle throughout the movie, which is a more relatable kind of thing, I suppose.   I am curious to see if she is still riding the bike in the sequel, which airs this weekend.

The apartment in which Danica McKellar and her siblings are living in Crown for Christmas is pretty ordinary and does not appear to be luxurious or large.  Her job as a maid is at a luxury hotel, and she ends up working/living at a palace, so her circumstances change quickly!  lol

Edited by TVFan17
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I think a problem that would likely arise if the Hallmark factory attempted to integrate Black culture into its very rigid formula is that it would be to portray that all Black people are living poor in the ghetto.

I think this is why it’s important to bring in more diversity behind the camera. There are ways to infuse smaller bits of culture that still work within the Hallmark format. Of Hallmark’s 40 Christmas movies all of the directors are white and all but 6 are men. That lack that of different viewpoints is taking it’s toll. 

8 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I have enjoyed many of the Hallmark movies in the past, but they are so cookie-cutter (no pun intended) and bland and often ridiculous now. To me, they don't provide the easy enjoyment that they did before. You can almost see the pressure to crank out the product on the screen.

This is how I feel. I really do enjoy these movies but as they make more and more they are leaning too hard into the formula and the result is diminished enjoyment. 

7 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

It’s not a Hallmark movie but Snowglobe is the most relatable of all the Christmas movies in that aspect. 

Edited by Guest

The confirmed list of 5 new Winterfest movies (a.k.a. snow and ice-filled movies airing in January that are not Christmas movies) has been revealed.  I was aware of 4 of them.  The 5th one is more of a surprise.  https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/pictures/patti-murin-colin-donnell-star-in-hallmarks-winterfest-lineup/

(Although the premiere dates are mentioned in the article, I am not listing them here, as they are too likely to change this far out from January.)

--Winter in Vail (Lacey Chabert/Tyler Hynes)

--Winter Inn  Love (a.k.a. Alice in Winterland) (Italia Ricci/Chad Michael Murray/Jack Turner)

--A Tidy Romance (Jill Wagner/Victor Webster/Rukiya Bernard) -- Title will change

--Amazing Winter Romance (a.k.a. A Mazing Winter Romance a.k.a. Maze of the Heart) (Jessy Schram/Marshall Williams)

--Love on Iceland (Kaitlin Doubleday/Colin Donnell/Patti Murin)

The synopses for the movies can be found in the US article I linked above.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, seasons said:

Sorry if this is a silly question, fellow fans, but are the Graceland movies actually filmed at Graceland - at least in part? I'm just really getting WAY into Christmas movies this year. 🎄 thanks

Yes.  Filmed at various locations in Memphis including Graceland.  Probably among the few Christmas movies actually filmed where they are actually supposed to be.  I live in Ottawa and quite a few Christmas movies supposedly set in Smalltown, USA were filmed in small towns near me like Almonte and Carleton Place.  

Edited by Homily
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Homily said:

Yes.  Filmed at various locations in Memphis including Graceland.  Probably among the few Christmas movies actually filmed where they are actually supposed to be.  I live in Ottawa and quite a few Christmas movies supposedly set in Smalltown, USA were filmed in small towns near me like Almonte and Carleton Place.  

Wow! Thanks for the great info!  

have you ever seen any movies being filmed? That must be kind of fun and exciting!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2019 at 10:13 PM, In2You said:

I grew up near a Chabad Jewish area. There are a lot of cultural issues. Each subgroup has a different rabbi, and he calls a lot of shots--some of which are really marginal, and pretty much all of them get excluded from a lot of mainstream American things. 

The serious issues are that some rabbis won't let them get vaccines, and they try to marry off the girls at 16. However, none of them are allowed to celebrate Christmas or Halloween at all (there is a Jewish candy night, Purim, but it didn't sound 10% as cool as modern Halloween for kids.) They attend their own schools, the girls in particular will never be near non fundamental Jewish people

So if the character transitioned from that world into mainstream America and a regular college (grad school), she could very well be a fish out of water trope.

Side note: They cut a deal with the power company to let them staple white pipes onto the poles, as notional city walls, so the women could haul diaper bags and push strollers to the services on Saturday. Otherwise they can't go. 

• Useful 3
13 minutes ago, seasons said:

Ugh. Is it just me that cringes during the promo for "Our Christmas love Song" when alicia Witt and brendan hines sing? 🙉

I'm quite sure it's not just you, but it's definitely not me.  That much I know.  I love Alicia -- she's one of my favorites in the Hallmark family -- and she is more talented than she is given credit for.  I only wish that she would go back to Hallmark movies with more humor in them, as I think that's where she fits best.  Last year and this year, the movies have had a more serious theme and tone.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Happywatcher said:

I grew up near a Chabad Jewish area. There are a lot of cultural issues. Each subgroup has a different rabbi, and he calls a lot of shots--some of which are really marginal, and pretty much all of them get excluded from a lot of mainstream American things. 

The serious issues are that some rabbis won't let them get vaccines, and they try to marry off the girls at 16. However, none of them are allowed to celebrate Christmas or Halloween at all (there is a Jewish candy night, Purim, but it didn't sound 10% as cool as modern Halloween for kids.) They attend their own schools, the girls in particular will never be near non fundamental Jewish people

So if the character transitioned from that world into mainstream America and a regular college (grad school), she could very well be a fish out of water trope.

Side note: They cut a deal with the power company to let them staple white pipes onto the poles, as notional city walls, so the women could haul diaper bags and push strollers to the services on Saturday. Otherwise they can't go. 

This kind of reminds me of the Love Finds You movies, particularly Love Finds You in Charm. Although that movie dealt with the Amish community, they can totally do a drama or a romantic dramedy with this setting and make it as engaging as 'Charm' (one of my faves). An Uncommon Grace and The Beverly Lewis movies also come to mind and those were old school Hallmark movies!

• Love 1