Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved the 2nd installment of Mystery 101 tonight.  Kristoffer Polaha and Jill Wagner are the best duo on the Hallmark channel IMO.  I pray to the Hallmark gods that they don’t mess with their excellent chemistry — it’s smart, fun, balanced, friends but “interested” — not an ounce of cutesy or silly.  The mystery kept me guessing and I loved the Agatha Christie-ness of it.  I’ll watch again!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

The mystery kept me guessing and I loved the Agatha Christie-ness of it.

Yep. I liked it too.  It was a very twisty complicated story which, on these shows, sometimes leads to them not making sense but I think this one did.  I think?

And the resolution was almost touching in a way.  Twisted but touching.

• Love 6

Count me in as another one who liked the second Mystery 101 movie.    It had some fun twists, and made me jump a couple of times.   

So that's 2 for 2 for me in that series.  I am looking forward to the 3rd Mystery 101 installment in September, and I suppose the 4th movie is airing in 2020.

Kristoffer and Jill have been great together in all of their Hallmark movies, so Hallmark got very lucky with that duo.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Kemper said:

Why would Candace Cameron Bure have to dye her hair? I have missed something so please fill me in.  Is it a different color now than it was when she was filming the previous season?  Who on earth would care?  

I actually liked the kind-of short bob she wore in the earlier movies. But yes, saw a preview of her upcoming movie and could not believe my eyes!  What is the deal with the actresses on this channel having terrible hair; at least a good many of them do.  I don't mind the color...it is the out-dated, impractical styles that they sport.  Why are the actresses hairstyles such a huge, distracting deal for the channel.  It is creepy and distracting.

In the interview, she said she had been dyeing her hair different colors for the different projects she was working on and ended up damaging her hair to the point where some of it was falling out, so she wanted to avoid that happening again so just wore a wig.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Pickles said:

The Last Bridesmaid. I thought it was so unbelievable how the daughter was going to take over the parents' insurance business, but decided to make jewelry full time. The parents were all set to retire and looking forward to it. So, when the daughter decided to tell the mom that she wasn't going to take the business over--it was suddenly like no big deal. We will just have to tell your dad. We can postpone our retirement. It was just so casual and well received. Completely unrealistic.

But that's Hallmark.  They've done this plot a million times.  Somebody has a 'dream' of doing something completely unrealistic and unprofitable for a living; so they abandon their dull but well paid job completely to pursue this dream full time.  In real life, there are millions of people out there making jewelry and selling it at craft shows and virtually none of them are supporting themselves with the proceeds but instead, doing it as a hobby while working at actual jobs.

There was another movie just a few weeks back where the daughter decided to leave her father's successful accounting firm (I think they were accountants) to become a photographer fulltime because the owner of an art gallery in a vacation town thought she had incredible talent (based on what we saw, she didn't).  Once again, her parents were all supportive and enthusiastic at the news that she wasn't returning to work and they were going to have to rework their retirement plan.  And she had no paying gigs lined up, just a promise she could sell her stuff in a single art gallery that only draws a crowd during the summer months.  That's not a career plan, that's just dumb.

We've had others quit to write romance novels, or paint or sing.  All of them with no apparent plan other than quitting their full time paying job.  No contracts, no mentors, no grants.  No sense.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 8

Doodlebug, I agree with everything you said. I also always love how everyone lives in fabulous houses, no matter what their occupation. Photographers, writers, cafe owners, etc--everyone lives in a beautiful, expensive home. Hallmark truly is fantasy land.

• Love 5

I also liked the new Mystery 101 for all the reasons mentioned above, but I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of the ending.  I couldn't follow all the stuff they were explaining at the end when all 4 of them were seated around the table.  What I know is that the man and the woman were brother and sister and became orphans years ago when their parents were killed in a building that had no sprinklers.  The brother was the husband of the star actress and the sister was the drug store owner.  The owners of the building with no sprinklers are that guy from the play (who had a crush on the star actress, and who the drug store sister started dating) and his father.  I understand that the brother and sister wanted revenge against that family. 

The star actress was secretly in love with the director (?) of the play, but ultimately that had nothing to do with the plot.  Also the star actress's ex came back and he was responsible for the light crashing and the gun shot, but those weren't actually intended to kill her, just scare her away from the town so she'd go back to him and Broadway.

The brother and sister were secretly sending love notes to the star actress as though they came from the building owner/guy in the play who they were trying to frame.   Was this as part of a plot to frame them for the eventual death of the star actress?  Also, since the guy in the play claimed he didn't send the love notes, wouldn't the star actress have mentioned the notes to him and said, dude WTF with the notes? 

The star actress died when she drank an energy drink that was supposedly made from the brother/husband's energy drink powder, so they could try to make it look like the intended victim was actually the brother/husband and throw in more confusion...is that right?  

The powder/drink was laced with a poison that had been supposedly stolen from the sister's drug store.  This was the second or third break-in on that street, and it caused Polaha's cop partner to take her morning jog route right past the drug store.  Why did they want her to go there?  When she saw the break-in, she went to investigate and saw a toy monkey that distracted her and someone hit her on the head.  Why did they want to harm her?  

Did the brother and sister kill the star actress so they could inherit her money, and then try to frame the guy from the play and his father (by sending the love notes and placing the stolen drugs on their property), thus exacting their revenge?

Aside from my confusion, only three things stuck out as problematic for me (at least that I can remember at this point).  One, how incompetent were the swarm of cops serving the search warrant that they didn't notice the shed right behind the house, and only Jill's character did?  Second, there was a line Jill said that didn't ring true to character.  Polaha had given her a compliment, along the lines of "I like the way you think."  And in way too puppy-dog approval-seeking, she replied, "You do?"  And third, when Jill excused herself to go to the bathroom in the house (a plot device that Hallmark goes to all.the.time), and she found the secret stairway/attic, she was so loud moving around up there and with moving the boxes that I actually thought it was going to be a plot point.

But overall, really like this franchise a lot! 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think that the brother and sister sent the love notes to secret accounts on the star and co-star’s computer so it would look like they were emailing each other. But in reality neither one knew about it or ever saw the emails because they were in hidden accounts. Designed to look like they were hiding the emails. 

The robbery thing was a little odd but I think they wanted the police to pay special attention to that robbery so they would notice the drug used to kill the star came from there and then the sister could just casually mention that the co-star knew the security system was out. A bit convoluted when the sister could have just told the police what was stolen and they would have made the connection to the death. 

Edited by Seelouis
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

but I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of the ending.

I'll try to answer your questions but please forgive me if I get stuff wrong.  I was online while watching so I might be making up details that my mind filled in for me or forgetting some things that were explained yet escaped me.

The owners of the building with no sprinklers are that guy from the play (who had a crush on the star actress, and who the drug store sister started dating) and his father. 

Yes but I think Elliot was probably too young at the time of the incident to really have anything to do with whether or not there was a sprinkler system.  The revenge was really meant for his father via the son.

The star actress was secretly in love with the director (?) of the play, but ultimately that had nothing to do with the plot. 

So I don't remember them saying this but I do think it had something to do with the plot in that the husband suspected she was going to leave him. He killed her for the money he'd lose if she left.

Also the star actress's ex came back and he was responsible for the light crashing and the gun shot, but those weren't actually intended to kill her, just scare her away from the town so she'd go back to him and Broadway.

Yep.  And threw their plan a bit because, in their plan to kill her, they didn't want it to look like they were trying to kill her especially since the plan was to make it look like the husband/brother was the real target.

The brother and sister were secretly sending love notes to the star actress as though they came from the building owner/guy in the play who they were trying to frame. 

So the husband (brother) created a fake email account on his wife's computer, which would be traced back to her, since he had access to it.  His sister was dating Elliot (son-of-building-owner/co-star-of-actress/target-of-revenge) so she used his computer to create a fake email account on his computer that would be traced back to him. The brother would send emails to the fake Elliot account his sister created and she'd reply when she was around Elliot to the actress's fake account that her husband set up.  Elliot and the actress never exchanged emails via these fake accounts.  It was always the brother and sister emailing each other from the fake accounts via their significant others' computers so when the cops traced the accounts, it'd lead back to Elliot and the dead wife. Neither the dead actress or Elliot knew of them email exchanges.

is that right?

Yep.  They wanted to deflect suspicion from the husband by making him look like the target.

When she saw the break-in, she went to investigate and saw a toy monkey that distracted her and someone hit her on the head.  Why did they want to harm her?  

So I don't think they ever necessarily intended for a cop to wander into the store.  That was pretty risky.  I think they wanted to knock her out so they could escape. Or maybe they felt that someone injured would lead to the cops pay more attention to the breakins.

But this is where I get confused with their very detailed plan.  Where did the monkey come from?  And why did they keep it when they escaped?

Did the brother and sister kill the star actress so they could inherit her money, and then try to frame the guy from the play and his father (by sending the love notes and placing the stolen drugs on their property), thus exacting their revenge?

I don't think they were ever going to frame the father but I could be wrong. 

I might have to rewatch this one to get some of the details nailed down.  Did we even see the father?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

We've had others quit to write romance novels, or paint or sing. 

And the examples of their "passion" selected by Hallmark are all so totally pedestrian. Never once did they have a sample of their work that make me go "wow, that's great".  I could have done better than every one of them.

And, for the love of all that is holy, if you are pretending to be a photographer, learn to hold the camera correctly.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I might have to rewatch this one to get some of the details nailed down.  Did we even see the father?

Thank you for the commentary, Irlandesa!  Also, we did see the father at the job site...he's the first person Polaha and Jill (can't remember their character names) walked up to.  And I thought we saw him one other time, but I can't remember when...maybe at the play, since his son was in it, or the party afterward?

3 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

Thank you for the commentary, Irlandesa!  Also, we did see the father at the job site...he's the first person Polaha and Jill (can't remember their character names) walked up to. 

Thanks.  There were so many characters but so many of the red herrings actually formed part of the very complicated plot.  I appreciate that they weren't just cheap distractions for the most part.

• Love 2

Got around to watching the Mystery 101 movie. I was so distracted by the fact that the detective had never heard the phrase "break a leg" that I found it hard to pay attention to the rest of the movie.

• Love 1

Sad app news. Looks like a few more have been banished from the channel just in time for Christmas in July

Window Wonderland (Sad to see this go. One of their funniest and unique movies)

A Majestic Christmas (that didn't take long)

Finding Father Christmas

Catch a Christmas Star 

Christmas Festival of Ice

One Christmas Eve (already there, but now officially announced)

I'm always surprised when their newer stock gets sent to the app. Most of the additions are usually their back catalog items.

I think that Antonio Cupo's sole job with Hallmark is to go around and visit all of their movie sets.   Whether they are in Florida, or Vancouver, or wherever, Antonio is on the scene.   I mean, this guy is all over the place!    He left the Autumn Reeser/Brennan Elliot movie set and moseyed on over to the Christmas Duet set to say hello to Chaley Rose --

• LOL 1
On 6/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, chitowngirl said:

🙄

Does this channel ever have a Halloween related movies? ( my favorite holiday) I'm not expecting scary dark stuff, but there are family friendly Halloween movies out there..

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, AstaCharles said:

Does this channel ever have a Halloween related movies? ( my favorite holiday) I'm not expecting scary dark stuff, but there are family friendly Halloween movies out there..

Christmas is really their main thing, so you won't find a whole lot of Halloween on the network beyond what twoods mentioned.    (And I think that Midnight Masquerade was moved to the Hallmark Movies Now streaming service for good, so I'm not even sure if it will be shown on the linear channels anymore.)   October Kiss is really cute.

Hallmark also has Halloween-themed Good Witch movies every October, though if you don't watch the Good Witch series then I don't know if you'd be interested in those.

They have an annual Fall Harvest movie event, which starts on or around the 3rd Saturday in September and ends on the third weekend in October.   There are usually anywhere from 4 - 6 movies (including the Good Witch movies that I mentioned above) in Fall Harvest.  There are lots of pumpkins, Harvest festivals and fall decorations in these movies, but the focus is usually not too heavy on Halloween, specifically.

I love Halloween too -- not more than Christmas, but Halloween is definitely my second favorite holiday!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

Schedule Update:     A friend just alerted me to the fact that In the Key of Love (with Laura Osnes and Scott Michael Foster) has mysteriously vanished from the schedule on the Hallmark Channel website.   Not only is it not premiering on July 1st, as it was supposed to, but it doesn't have a new showtime at this point.

I have no clue why this movie would be removed from the schedule 4 days before premiering, but I have to imagine that Hallmark will reschedule it for some other night.  From Friend to Fiance also disappeared and then reappeared on the website before it finally premiered in May, so I think the same thing will happen with In the Key of Love.

And remember that A Merry Christmas Match -- which was supposed to premiere on the Hallmark Channel on July 13th -- has been removed from the line-up too.  It was first noticed that it had been removed about 11 or 12 days ago, but I thought it would have been re-added to the schedule and website by now.   Nope.  It's still gone.

• Useful 1

With all of the analysis of Murder 101 I still have two questions.  The first is why was the police officer lured into the drug store?  Why wasn't that just staged like the other robberies?  Didn't that just give the drug store more attention than if it was just like the other stores that were robbed?  And second, what the heck was the mechanical monkey toy's place in the plot?  Was it just to distract her so that she could be hit in head?  It didn't come from the store so it had to have been brought there just for that purpose.  Right?  And if so, that leads back to my first question . . . 

• Love 2
On 6/27/2019 at 11:42 AM, AstaCharles said:

A few of the movies have been mentioned but Halloween has been a victim of the Christmas Creep of the most recent years.  They've been starting theier 24/7 Christmas stuff at the end of July which coincides with Halloween. 

• Love 1
(edited)

In the Key of Love has been moved to the Hallmark Movies Now streaming service without ever premiering on the network.   First, it was scheduled to be part of June Weddings.   Then it was moved to a Monday, July 1st premiere slot.  Now it is headed for streaming.   Leading lady Laura Osnes posted about this schedule change today --

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzRTkYlgmbg/

Edited by TVFan17
  • Useful 1

That's some ish.  I was actually looking forward to that one because of the new blood who I like.  I guess it's possible it's worse than what they've already aired but nah---

Either that or they think they can get people to sign up for it.  I do wonder how successful their streaming service is.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 6:07 PM, Irlandesa said:

That's some ish.  I was actually looking forward to that one because of the new blood who I like.  I guess it's possible it's worse than what they've already aired but nah---

Either that or they think they can get people to sign up for it.  I do wonder how successful their streaming service is.

I think they’re trying to get people to sign up for the streaming service. It’s going to be released at the same time as the When Calls the Heart spinoff. 

I’ve been expected some movies to be streaming only since I heard about the spinoff but I can’t believe they pulled a movie just before it was supposed to air. Now I’m dreading what other movies might be pulled from the schedule. 

I’m not opposed to the idea of signing up for the streaming service but that will only happen if all the content on the cable channels are also available streaming. 

Edited by Guest
12 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

In the Key of Love has been moved to the Hallmark Movies Now streaming service without ever premiering on the network.

Oh no they didn't!  Those bums.  The one summer movie I was most looking forward to, of course.  Stupid streaming service, ugh.  Too bad I already used up my free trial...  I mean, I realize it's only $5.99 but still, it absolutely bugs.

For those not on Instagram (I had to find my log in to see Laura's message), it's now supposed to premiere some time in August.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, JenMD said:

Oh no they didn't!  Those bums.  The one summer movie I was most looking forward to, of course.  Stupid streaming service, ugh.  Too bad I already used up my free trial...  I mean, I realize it's only $5.99 but still, it absolutely bugs.

For those not on Instagram (I had to find my log in to see Laura's message), it's now supposed to premiere some time in August.

Oh I had no idea that the photo could not be viewed without an Instagram account, as I can view it when I am not logged into IG.    Thank you for telling me!   Let me re-add that direct link to Laura's post and see if this works.  Can you see her message?  --

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3

Yep, @TVFAN, that shows the message, thanks!  I could see the photo without logging in, but there was no message until I logged in.  Maybe it's a Firefox thing; it's my preferred browser but it can be a little wonky.

• Love 1

I will have to find the tweet again but Dylan Neal retweeted someone that said they missed the Gourmet Detective series and wished they were making more and Dylan said something to the effect of "hang tight."

It makes sense, they need something to cover the Garage Sale Mysteries-shaped hole in the lineup.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I will have to find the tweet again but Dylan Neal retweeted someone that said they missed the Gourmet Detective series and wished they were making more and Dylan said something to the effect of "hang tight."

It makes sense, they need something to cover the Garage Sale Mysteries-shaped hole in the lineup.

Coincidentally, I was just coming here to mention Dylan!!  lol

The new Gourmet Detective was on my radar about one week ago.  I debated on whether or not to mention it here in the thread because sometimes Hallmark projects are stuck in development for a long time, and I wasn't sure if it was worth mentioning it yet if it might not end up airing for another 2 years.

I found the info quite by accident.  I was checking IMDB for something else entirely, and I saw something (without a thumbnail) that said "Gourmet Detective: Roux the Day."   I knew that was not a title of any of the previous 4 Gourmet Detective movies, so I asked a couple of other people if they knew of this new title and they didn't.  (I wondered if it was something that had been announced that I somehow missed.)

According to IMDB at the time I found Roux the Day, it was in "script" status as of April 2019, so I knew it was a recent thing -- and my first thought was that it was probably decided on when Hallmark realized they were losing Garage Sale.

But Hallmark Movies & Mysteries has their August, September and October schedules in place now, so it's possible that the new GD movie might not appear until 2020.  If they can get it filmed soon, they might be able to sneak it into September somewhere, but I am thinking that 2020 is maybe more likely.

Anyway, I saw Dylan making a couple of different cryptic, vague comments about the possibility of more GD coming up, and when I saw his most recent comment I thought, "Well, since he keeps dropping these hints, I might as well mention what I found!"

• Love 6

Hullo ---  No thoughts about the new movie last night, "Sister of the Bride" ?  

Mine are that it was entirely boring - no real dilemmas, resolutions that I didn't care much about.  Except I did resent big-time that 'Ben', the Economics professor, turned down (is this a spoiler, since it already aired?) his dream job at Oxford for a pale facsimile.  

But the house was very pretty, and it was nice to see Michael Gross and the '55 T-bird.  Otherwise,  zzz-zz-zz.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Chippings said:

Hullo ---  No thoughts about the new movie last night, "Sister of the Bride" ?  

Mine are that it was entirely boring - no real dilemmas, resolutions that I didn't care much about.  Except I did resent big-time that 'Ben', the Economics professor, turned down (is this a spoiler, since it already aired?) his dream job at Oxford for a pale facsimile.  

But the house was very pretty, and it was nice to see Michael Gross and the '55 T-bird.  Otherwise,  zzz-zz-zz.

I agree. And how convenient that the sister and her fiance decided to buy the parents' Palm Springs vacation home, as their vacation home. Must be nice when you are probably 32 years old, to purchase a multi million dollar home--as a vacation home. So believable! Kind of sickening that the groom gave up his dream job at Oxford and will now just go for two weeks in the summer. Not quite the same, by a long shot.

And how wonderful that the groom's parents were able to attend the wedding at a moment's notice (like 1-2 days!) and turn up in full wedding regalia. The wedding photographer too--one of the most in demand in the area, agrees on impulse to shoot the wedding. This is all just fairy tale writing. I think it gets worse and worse with each movie.

• Love 4

Mystery 101 Episode II. Just watched on DVR after getting maxed out on Christmas reruns.

Do cops in Canada not get to carry their guns off duty? Do they not call for backup?

Besides the prior remark about the lead not knowing common terms--who told the actress playing 'hollywood star' to chew all the scenery?

(edited)
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Great minds think alike, @TVFan17! LOL.

Hallmark already has their lineup set for August, September, October? I think one of those months (August?) is the Aurora Teagarden movies, but what else is there? 

The apparent current plan is for September to be Mystery 101 month.   Hallmark actually only advertised one new Mystery 101 movie airing in September, but Jill Wagner said in an interview that she thinks their plan is to air the next two new movies back-to-back.

October is Crossword Mysteries month -- there are 3 new movies airing then.

Of course, as we all know, Hallmark changes their plans a lot.   Projects get announced and then disappear, or get yanked from the schedule at the last minute.  Sometimes they get moved from one month to another.    So who knows?     I never fully trust Hallmark's schedules to stay as announced or planned.

IF they only air one Mystery 101 movie in September, then they  have another Chronicle Mystery movie and another Darrow & Darrow movie (already filmed), which could probably be piled into September too.  

Even if Gourmet Detective: Roux the Day were able to go into production really soon, I'm not sure it would make it into this year's line-up.   It could not air any later than September if it were to premiere in 2019 at all (since October is for the Crossword movies).   And in order to get on the air in September, it would have to film and be wrapped up in August.   Right now, it's only in development and not scheduled to film.  So that's why I think we might not see GD #5 until 2020.

There is another TCA media event coming up for Hallmark at the end of July, and I am thinking we will get the official announcement about Roux the Day (or whatever it ends up being called) at that event, in one of the many press releases to come out that night.   Then Dylan Neal can stop dropping vague hints and just talk freely about it!  lol

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3
On 6/23/2019 at 10:18 PM, twoods said:

Honestly, how much money do people make when they sell crafty jewelry? I was in disbelief on Gilmore Girls that a married couple (annoying TJ and Liz) survived on the jewelry they sold at a Renaissance fair. Do people really make that much money? 

I didn't particularly like the movie and lost interest quickly, despite generally liking the two leads in other Hallmark stuff.  The answer to your question is "it depends."  

If you are selling the higher end (not like Tiffany/Cartier high end but $60 to several hundred dollars a piece) you can make a decent living doing conventions/festivals.  Or at least you used to be able to do so.  With the new tax code, I suspect a lot of stuff that could previously be used as write offs/deductions can longer be deducted, which would change the economics of it.  A fair number of the people I know who sell/vend that way are doing it as a retirement job or their second, weekend job.  so there's other income coming in.

However, specific to RenFaire, I think it would depend on the size and length of the festival.  I live in DC. The Maryland RenFest is HUGE and goes on for quite a while.  There was a leatherworker who used to vend at science fiction conventions as well as the Maryland Renaissance Faire/Festival, but found that he could make a living just doing RenFaire because he was making around $90,000 (he would take commissions, not just sell pre-made stuff). 

• Useful 4

The house was the best part of the movie.

I get why people are mad he gave up his dream job; I would have been mad if she gave up tenure (if she indeed gets tenure).  Tenure track positions are hard to find with so many universities relying more and more on adjunct positions. And I be they're even scarcer in her specific area of expertise? 

If she walked away from that to follow him, she could do her career irreparable damage. The only good solution would be long distance for a while until things shake out.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

The house was the best part of the movie.

I get why people are mad he gave up his dream job; I would have been mad if she gave up tenure (if she indeed gets tenure).  Tenure track positions are hard to find with so many universities relying more and more on adjunct positions. And I be they're even scarcer in her specific area of expertise? 

If she walked away from that to follow him, she could do her career irreparable damage. The only good solution would be long distance for a while until things shake out.

Yes, why didn't they just stay engaged for awhile while he went to the U.K. and she got tenure. Visit back and forth. Just make it work like that for awhile. 

• Love 3

I thought "Sister of the Bride" was okay.  It was a different plot line from the usual.  They did a pretty good job of keeping me guessing what the outcome would be, especially at the beginning when they made a big deal over the ring not fitting, and not knowing or agreeing as to the number of kids they each wanted.  Counterbalanced with the idiotic "tart decorating" where the bakery owner claimed that the leads are a Perfect couple because they both picked blue icing,  but wasn't that the only color available?  It did become obvious that the older sister would postpone her wedding date and the younger sister would take that date, but still was up in the air about Oxford.  Was that supposed to be a permanent position?

Michael Gross' pierced ear hole was distracting.  Makeup department could have maybe covered it better.

8 hours ago, Pickles said:

Yes, why didn't they just stay engaged for awhile while he went to the U.K. and she got tenure. Visit back and forth. Just make it work like that for awhile. 

It would have made perfect sense but this is Hallmark where the only appropriate (and expected) ending is having a wedding and reality plays no part in the story line.

Twenty-somethings buying a million dollar house, tinkerers managing to earn a living selling hand made trinkets, weddings that magically occur after a couple of days of planning....welcome to Hallmark world.  Suspension of disbelief required to view this drivel.

• Love 6
(edited)
12 hours ago, dalek said:

Honestly, how much money do people make when they sell crafty jewelry? I was in disbelief on Gilmore Girls that a married couple (annoying TJ and Liz) survived on the jewelry they sold at a Renaissance fair. Do people really make that much money? 

I have two friends who make jewelry and are successful.  One is a bench jeweler (eg she works with metals, sets stones, etc) who custom makes jewelry in gold and silver, using real gemstones.  She has an etsy shop, goes to craft shows, etc.  She  does a lot with custom engagement rings and matching bands.  The other one is more of a bead stringer and wire wrapper.  She has a brick and mortar store.  In addition to selling her pieces she runs classes, has birthday parties, hosts women's nights out, etc in her shop.

And now somethings about Sister of the Bride.  

Did anyone else notice that Ben kept calling Michael Gross "Mr" instead of "Dr"?  I just thought that that was strange.

As soon as Stephanie tried on the dress and it fit, I knew that she'd be the one getting married at the end.

Edited by ShelleySue
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Twenty-somethings buying a million dollar house, tinkerers managing to earn a living selling hand made trinkets, weddings that magically occur after a couple of days of planning....welcome to Hallmark world.  Suspension of disbelief required to view this drivel.

Well, think of all the mystery movies. They're basically all about someone with no training in criminal investigation being smarter than all the police & figuring out who done it, not just once, but over & over again. And the police not only let them, but they question suspects, & the people actually answer their questions. If some stranger came up to you & started questioning you about where you were on a certain day & what your relationship was with someone who was recently murdered, would you tell them? Talk about suspension of belief.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, GaT said:

Well, think of all the mystery movies. They're basically all about someone with no training in criminal investigation being smarter than all the police & figuring out who done it, not just once, but over & over again. And the police not only let them, but they question suspects, & the people actually answer their questions. If some stranger came up to you & started questioning you about where you were on a certain day & what your relationship was with someone who was recently murdered, would you tell them? Talk about suspension of belief.

Somehow all of that works better in the Cozy Book form that most of the Mystery series are based on. The (usually) female amateur is the local hometown girl and the police officer is new and from out of town. People chat and and answer her questions because they know and trust her.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, GaT said:

I think that some are better than others.  For example, I could never stand the Garage Sale Mysteries because the she and the police officer would always sit in that diner discussing the case, as if she was a member of the police department.  And the coroner would let her see the files just because she brought him coffee.  Not to mention her always rushing headlong into something that could possibly get her killed.  But the Murder 101 seems to be better (so far -- knock on wood).  They all acknowledge that she really shouldn't be there and her background seems to at least somewhat qualify her.

• Love 4
On 7/1/2019 at 12:21 AM, Just Carol said:

I thought "Sister of the Bride" was okay.  It was a different plot line from the usual.  They did a pretty good job of keeping me guessing what the outcome would be, especially at the beginning when they made a big deal over the ring not fitting, and not knowing or agreeing as to the number of kids they each wanted.  Counterbalanced with the idiotic "tart decorating" where the bakery owner claimed that the leads are a Perfect couple because they both picked blue icing,  but wasn't that the only color available?  It did become obvious that the older sister would postpone her wedding date and the younger sister would take that date, but still was up in the air about Oxford.  Was that supposed to be a permanent position?

I had the complete opposite reaction regarding the plot line of Sister of the Bride -- I thought this was one of the most predictable movies I've seen, and I've seen a lot of predictable Hallmark movies.  Once they got to the house, I never for a moment doubted that the leads would be the ones getting married.  This movie was extremely boring to me, and I agree with you that the tart decorating was idiotic... I thought it was the height of lameness.

I also kind of hated the lead actress.  I didn't mind her as much in Love at First Dance, but she really bugged me in this movie.

• Love 1