Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I usually like these types of mysteries, I watched the Aurora Teagarden one

I just saw that one. I gotta say, I found myself wondering if the "main character dates a Minister" is what sold Candice Cameron on doing it. 

Is it just me, or are the leads in a lot of the movies kind of vanilla?  Non-threatening, sort of. 

That's pretty much Hallmark's brand.  No homosexuals, rarely people of color, leads who look like they could be in the picture frames one purchases.  So very vanilla.  It's why I always appreciate when someone fits into this mold but also possesses a little more talent or spark than this casting mold typically brings.  (I think that's why I have more affection for Love At the Thanksgiving Day Parade, even though it's pretty typical Hallmark, over the other movies.  Both Autumn Reeser and Antonio Cupo are Hallmark casting favorites but they also bring a little extra spark to their roles.)

I just saw that one. I gotta say, I found myself wondering if the "main character dates a Minister" is what sold Candice Cameron on doing it. 

This is the second Teargarden movie. She doesn't date a minister in the first one.  I know there is a lot of speculation about Candice Cameron Bure and what "got" her to take the roles given her religious beliefs but I think it's pretty simple.  Candice appears to want more mainstream fame than her brother.  She has done numerous Hallmark films where she has had to kiss gentleman other than her husband.  She did Dancing With the Stars and for all the focus they did about her religious beliefs interfering with what they wanted her to do/wear, I don't think it truly limited what she'd be willing to do on the dance floor in the end.

What got her to do these films?  Easy.  Hallmark lets her do movies on a mainstream channel whose movies don't push any boundaries even if the source material is a little raunchier. 

As for the recent mystery movies, I liked Garage Sale Mystery and The Gourmet Detective the most overall but felt they both fell apart with the revelation of the culprits.  Still, I liked the time I spent with those movies, especially The Gourmet Detective and I hope we get more of them.  I found the Teargarden movie a little boring until the end. 

This is the second Teargarden movie. She doesn't date a minister in the first one.  I know there is a lot of speculation about Candice Cameron Bure and what "got" her to take the roles given her religious beliefs but I think it's pretty simple.  Candice appears to want more mainstream fame than her brother.  She has done numerous Hallmark films where she has had to kiss gentleman other than her husband.  She did Dancing With the Stars and for all the focus they did about her religious beliefs interfering with what they wanted her to do/wear, I don't think it truly limited what she'd be willing to do on the dance floor in the end.

What got her to do these films?  Easy.  Hallmark lets her do movies on a mainstream channel whose movies don't push any boundaries even if the source material is a little raunchier. 

I read the books long ago and remember that the Reverend wasn't there until the second one.  But they've clearly REVERSED the order of the books here and one wonders why they might have done that. A Bone to Pick came before Real Murders as a TV movie, and in Real Murders they clearly state that she wasn't still with the Reverend (in other words, they mention him--confirming it is indeed set after the other movie--plus she's running the club she was only given control of at the end of the other movie).  Which I suppose for Candace is almost a bold statement! (that a Reverend wouldn't automatically be good for any woman).  But it does confirm that she at least initially signed up for the series with a movie with her dating a Reverend.  The only shock is that it didn't stay that way (especially order reversed, he could have been easily shoehorned into Real Murders).

Aurora Teagarden Mystery: A Bone to Pick (2015)

TV Movie  |  120 min  |  Mystery  |  7 April 2015 (USA)

Aurora Teagarden Mystery: Real Murders (2015)

TV Movie  |  120 min  |  Mystery  |  26 July 2015 (USA)

vs.

Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries, Book 1)

A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden Mysteries, Book 2)

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I think that people tend to paint CCB as having the same views as her brother but I have seen a lot of her Hallmark movies and it's pretty obvious she is not as fanatic as her brother. I mean her characters are never going to have premarital sex, but they do kiss the main male lead. I do like her in most of them.

• Love 2

It just looks so wholesome I could hardly stand it.

That's what I find appealing, though.  I like edgy as much as the next person (just started watching Penny Dreadful and I love it), but sometimes I want something pretty and cozy and undemanding.  Which isn't to say some are better or worse in terms of quality.  The one-note bitchy librarian rival in the Teagarden series, for example, lessened my enjoyment of that series, as did the dialogue that would have us believe CCB with her perfect make-up and expensive, glamorous hair is frumpy and unfashionable.

• Love 1

Did anyone catch "Love under the stars" tonight on Hallmark Movie and Mysteries?

I was waiting eagarly for it and it was pretty good. I think I was hoping for more angst between the couple because there really wasn't any and the two times it got hard, it was quicky remedied. But I did like the little girl, maybe because she was named Emily, haha.

Like all movies it was heavy handed with the themes but the two leads were cute and I forgot how good looking Wes Brown is. He is a little wooden at times but he is cute and I hope he's in some future films. (off to stalk imdb) *updated: This is his most recent credit, bummer*

Enjoyable movie.

Edited by emjohnson03

I just finished watching it with Beadboy2, of all people.  He's 8, and asking all sorts of questions about marriage and families, and he was telling me about the commercial for it so I taped it.  There wasn't much conflict at all and the acting was iffy at some points, but it was enjoyable.  I especially liked the advisor -- Barry Bostwick?

Did anyone catch "Love under the stars" tonight on Hallmark Movie and Mysteries?

I was waiting eagarly for it and it was pretty good. I think I was hoping for more angst between the couple because there really wasn't any and the two times it got hard, it was quicky remedied. But I did like the little girl, maybe because she was named Emily, haha.

Like all movies it was heavy handed with the themes but the two leads were cute and I forgot how good looking Wes Brown is. He is a little wooden at times but he is cute and I hope he's in some future films. (off to stalk imdb) *updated: This is his most recent credit, bummer*

Enjoyable movie.

If you like Wes Brown, he was at his hottest in Deception, which I believe is available on Hulu. He was also good in his short arcs on Private Practice and the new 90210. Edited by dcinmb

If you like Wes Brown, he was at his hottest in Deception, which I believe is available on Hulu. He was also good in his short arcs on Private Practice and the new 90210.

Oh thank you! Will check out his other work,

I just bought the Love Comes Softly Series and he's in one of the films.

Love most of the films (the later ones are so-so) but there's something about those Hallmark Men! They are cheesy but oh so romantic! :)

Hallmark movies are sappy, but then so isn't a hallmark card?

However, there have been a few hallmark channel movies I've enjoyed..for snark or entertainment. I love the lisa whelchel tv movie..course I loved facts of life...and I even like the Meet My Mom movie starring Lori loughlin, too.

So those two movies are my secret guilty pleasure :)

It looks like we're getting at least one new Hallmark movie a week until the end of the year.  Here's a schedule. Hallmark has one every Saturday and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries has one every couple of weeks which I'm sure will increase to weekly once the Christmas season kicks in.

• Love 1

Thanks for the list! Some look great,and others look terrible. Looking forward to some new movies to knock off the ones I keep watching.

Saw "Love By The Book" again and although I really liked the plot and male lead, the female lead's voice irritated me a lot. It took me out of her voiceover scenes.

Looks like a lot of (hopefully) enjoyable movies coming up. But seeing that schedule also reminds me how mad I am at Hallmark for moving Signed, Sealed, and Delivered to the Hallmark Movie Channel, since it's not available from our cable company. I really liked that show. Sigh.

• Love 1

Did anyone watch Lead With Your Heart? It was nice to see at least stock footage of Minneapolis to give a little authenticity to the filming location. 

And it was nice that the "big city" got a win amongst movies that are normally stocked with the smaller town winning.  I like that they eventually decided as a family that her job opportunity was too good to pass up. 

But otherwise, everyone else annoyed me with their "sky is falling" attitude towards the two of them living in different cities for a while as if they were both targets of evil homewreckers.  People do it.  (My parents did.)  It can work.  Thankfully, the movie itself avoided the cliche of having the boss and co-worker want to interfere in the marriage.  

• Love 2

It has been almost a week so I am double posting.  I really really enjoyed Love On The Air.  I liked the lead actor. Alison Sweeney, who can sometimes bug me, didn't. I thought they had chemistry.  I didn't think the boyfriend was treated poorly. He was the one who originally called it off and yet he wasn't completely villified by the show.  Even the angst felt angsty as opposed to a boring obstacle.  That was partly organic to the script as well as acting. 

The only thing I didn't love was that she caved by dressing in colors to land her ex but eh....overall, I thought it was one of the stronger entries.

There's another one on the Hallmark Movie Channel tonight that looks to be based on PS I Love You but I likely won't get to that one until later this week. There's too much to watch on Sundays.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

Did anyone watch Lead With Your Heart? It was nice to see at least stock footage of Minneapolis to give a little authenticity to the filming location. 

And it was nice that the "big city" got a win amongst movies that are normally stocked with the smaller town winning.  I like that they eventually decided as a family that her job opportunity was too good to pass up. 

But otherwise, everyone else annoyed me with their "sky is falling" attitude towards the two of them living in different cities for a while as if they were both targets of evil homewreckers.  People do it.  (My parents did.)  It can work.  Thankfully, the movie itself avoided the cliche of having the boss and co-worker want to interfere in the marriage.  

I just watched this, and agree with you.  I kept waiting for the "homewreckers" to start wrecking, and was so pleasantly surprised they actually didn't.

I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but I just DREAD the start of all those Christmas movies on Oct. 31st.  October!!  31st!!

Why not around Thanksgiving?  And I think they are on 24/7...by the time the holidays get here, and I am actually ready for some Christmas movies, I am thoroughly sick of them.  Now I will go yell at some small children to get off my lawn.

• Love 3
I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but I just DREAD the start of all those Christmas movies on Oct. 31st.  October!!  31st!!

People think that I'm odd because I absolutely adore holiday movies -- especially the sappy Hallmark ones.  I'm not even Christian, but I love all things Christmas (except for the religious stuff).  I used to work in retail jewelry store and looked forward to the holidays.  The days went faster and people were nicer (and spent more money).  

I do have some gripes about the Hallmark holiday movies though:

(1) Why are the same people starring in them every single year?

(2) I get that they are filmed in the summer, but can't snow scenes be a little more realistic?  In the winter steam comes out of people's mouth when they breathe.  When there's snow on the ground people wear more than mittens and a scarf around their necks.

(3) I don't mind a peripheral "real Santa" playing, for example, a matchmaker.  I do not like it when Santa has a front and center role though.  The same goes for his children and Mrs. Santa.

(4) Just once I'd like to see a non-formulaic Hallmark holiday movie in which there is a great reveal which ruins everything at the 90 minute mark.  We all know that the next 30 minutes will lead to a resolution and everyone will kiss and make-up.

(5) Do real people actually change their home decor for Christmas?  This is a real question.  Do people actually swap out wall art, throw pillows, etc at the holidays?

(6) Does anyone except for people in the movies, get married on Christmas Eve?

• Love 2

In the thread about Holiday TV movies and other shows, I just posted some detailed info specifically about the Hallmark Channel's Christmas movies that are coming up this year.  So I will keep my comments in this thread just about Hallmark movies in general, and not about the holiday fare in particular.

I love the growing phenomenon that is Hallmark TV movies.  It is becoming a bigger thing each year, and I love every second of it!   It is a guilty pleasure, but one that I fully embrace and admit to.   I watch a lot of different kinds of movies and TV series, ranging from "The Walking Dead," to "American Horror Story," to "Sex & the City," to "Breaking Bad," "Dexter" and "The Affair."  But I love me some safe, family-friendly Hallmark TV movies too!

I think that Hallmark movies are something that people either 'get' and buy into -- they take the movies lightly, don't read a lot into them, and enjoy them for the sweet, frothy confections that they are -- or they are something that people can't deal with at all, on any level, and they find themselves analyzing them and wondering why X didn't make sense with Y and Z.    At least, that is what I have observed when chatting with people about the movies.

I know that the plots for all of the movies are similar -- if not identical -- and the outcomes are nothing but predictable.   I know that many of the same actors appear in many of the movies.  Here are just some of the names that you may see in a Hallmark movie or TV series (on either Hallmark Channel) throughout the year, if not multiple movies per actor:

Candace Cameron Bure; Alicia Witt; Katrina Law; Lacey Chabert; Kellie Martin; Rachel Boston; Brooke Burns; Warren Christie; Lori Loughlin; Sarah Lancaster; Julie Benz; Paul Campbell; Andrew Walker; David Sutcliffe; Danica McKellar; Jewel Staite; Lauren Holly; Vivica A. Fox; Kimberly Sustad; Eloise Mumford; Kristy Swanson; Dean Cain; Allison Sweeney; Faith Ford; Erin Krakow; Cameron Mathison; Teri Polo; Arielle Kebbel; Autumn Reeser; Hilarie Burton; Nicollette Sheridan; Bailee Madison; Dylan Neal; Melissa Gilbert;  Bruce Boxleitner;  Haylie Duff;  Antonio Cupo; Jesse Hutch; Jesse Metcalfe; Laura Mennell; Gabrielle Miller; Vanessa Marcil; James Denton; Brooke D'Orsay; Brennan Elliot; Marilu Henner; Anne Heche; Gregory Harrison; Sean Faris; or Tricia Helfer.

That is not to say that Hallmark doesn't occasionally throw in some lesser-known faces.  They do.  Each holiday season there is a good mix of familiar faces and new faces.  However, many of the new faces do not return to Hallmark movies for a long time, if ever, so something tells me that they are either not as popular with viewers or they don't want to be known as part of the Hallmark family.

Whatever the case, I love the formula -- the familiar actors and a few new faces here and there.  I love the predictable romances and heartwarming stories.  I find a strange comfort and escapism in these movies that I don't find in other movies and series.

That said, I find that I definitely prefer the Christmas backdrop of the movies over the non-Christmas backdrops!  Although Hallmark celebrates many holidays, seasons and special occasions in their programming, such as St. Patrick's Day, April Fools' Day, Mother's Day, Fall/Halloween, Thanksgiving, June weddings, Valentine's Day and New Year's, I usually do not like the non-Christmas movies quite as much as I like the Christmas movies.  I have no idea why.  There have been a few exceptions, however.  I really liked "All of My Heart" (Countdown to Valentine's Day movie with Lacey and Brennan), "The Wish List" (with Jennifer Esposito and David S.), "A Country Wedding" (with Autumn and Jesse M.), "Stranded in Paradise" (with Vanessa and James D.), and "Backyard Wedding" (with Alicia and Teddy Sears).  Otherwise, I'm all about the Christmas specific fare, fake snow and all!

It's always nice to stumble upon a movie that I am not expecting much from beyond the usual, reliable Hallmark plots and actors -- maybe even a movie I am expecting NOT to like -- and discover that I love it!   Some of the movies are certainly better than others.  Some are just barely watchable, while others are actually quite good (despite being predictable and implausible).  Every so often there will even be a romantic pair with genuine chemistry in these movies -- it is not common, but there are a few couples with real sparks, such as Arielle Kebbel and Andrew Walker, Katrina Law and Jordan Belfi and Lacey Chabert and Brennan Elliott.

Anyway, I am all in for Hallmark's celebrations of seasons and holidays:  I will be watching this month's Fall Harvest movies; I will be watching all 2 months of the Countdown to Christmas; I will be watching the 2 weeks of Countdown to Valentine's Day movies next year; I will be watching the month of wedding movies in June; and I will be watching Christmas in July in the summer!

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 2

I ended up really liking "Love on the Air". It helped that the leads had fantastic chemistry. I will watch the upcoming fall movies, even though Harvest Moon is the usual cliche with the spoiled rich girl moving to the country (and the likable male lead pretty much played the same character in "Let it Snow".).

I finally saw "Hello, It's Me" and just like the movie that aired the night before on Hallmark (Love On The Air), "Hello, It's Me" pleasantly surprised me. The leads had good chemistry and built a believable relationship between experienced adults.  The movie touched on the supernatural a bit but didn't go too far.  Even the bratty teen was bratty in a believable and relatable and almost sympathetic way once we knew her motivation.

Keep it up, Hallmark.  Signed, Sealed and Delivered has and hopefully will again give me something fun to watch. 

Sherry67, I agree with so much of what you said. I don't mind that Hallmark has a stable of actors as long as they bring it.  I care more about finding actors/characters who have chemistry than necessarily  having a new face.  The only time I dislike it is when the leads are bland in uninteresting ways.  (Although yes, I would like more diversity.)

I also agree that it's sort of like comfort food for me.  I like the predictability of it.  It's kind of the same reason I find comfort in telenovelas.  I watch plenty of unpredictable or edgy TV but these movies are perfect for a low key weekend.

The main reason I always loved the Christmas season was because we'd be guaranteed new Hallmark movies but they've been doing a good job of adding more and more.

• Love 2

I finally saw "Hello, It's Me" and just like the movie that aired the night before on Hallmark (Love On The Air), "Hello, It's Me" pleasantly surprised me. The leads had good chemistry and built a believable relationship between experienced adults.  The movie touched on the supernatural a bit but didn't go too far.  Even the bratty teen was bratty in a believable and relatable and almost sympathetic way once we knew her motivation.

Keep it up, Hallmark.  Signed, Sealed and Delivered has and hopefully will again give me something fun to watch. 

Sherry67, I agree with so much of what you said. I don't mind that Hallmark has a stable of actors as long as they bring it.  I care more about finding actors/characters who have chemistry than necessarily  having a new face.  The only time I dislike it is when the leads are bland in uninteresting ways.  (Although yes, I would like more diversity.)

I also agree that it's sort of like comfort food for me.  I like the predictability of it.  It's kind of the same reason I find comfort in telenovelas.  I watch plenty of unpredictable or edgy TV but these movies are perfect for a low key weekend.

The main reason I always loved the Christmas season was because we'd be guaranteed new Hallmark movies but they've been doing a good job of adding more and more.

We must be on the same schedule!  I, too, finally just watched "Hello, It's Me"!  I had it saved on the DVR so that I could watch it when I had time to focus, and I watched it this morning.  I loved it!    I have not yet watched "Love on the Air," so that's next up.

First of all, Kellie is one of my favorites in the Hallmark pantheon of actors.   I think she is a capable actress.   I think she is attractive and appealing, but in an accessible, "real," down to earth way.

Second -- I had seen Kavan Smith's face, but was not familiar with his work.  I didn't know what to expect from him and he was delightful!  I thought he was going to be stuffy and boring, but he was funny and had some depth.  I thought that he and Kellie made a nice pair, and they had pretty good chemistry together.   Edited to add:  Now I remember that I saw him in the Hallmark Fall-themed movie, "Growing the Big One" -- but I must have been so focused on being annoyed by Shannen Doherty that I ignored his role in it!

Third -- It didn't hurt that this story was eerily similar to "The Christmas Ornament," which also stars Kellie and is one of my all-time favorite Hallmark movies.   As you said, Irlandesa, as long as the actors bring it and have some chemistry, then I am fine with repeat plots and repeat actors.

The interesting thing about these movies is that Hallmark could take one actor from their family of regulars and one actress from the family and put them together -- and it could fail miserably.  They could be dull as dirt together and the movie suffers because of it.   But if they take a totally different actor and actress and put them in the same exact story it might be a great success because the actors just seem to click together, making it easier to overlook any flaws with the actual story.

I was thinking along these lines when remembering last year's new Christmas movie "The Christmas Parade."  That is an example of a lead couple that had zero chemistry whatsoever.  Zilch.   It wasn't even believable that they would be a couple in real life.  The main actress -- AnnaLynne McCord -- was fine at playing the type of uppity, high maintenance, glamorous character she was supposed to play.  But she was almost too much of a bombshell for Hallmark.  I think she had a little too much sex appeal for a Hallmark movie.  She looked more like she walked out of the pages of Playboy magazine.   She didn't have enough down to earth, accessible, relatable charm.  The viewers lambasted her on Hallmark's Facebook pages because they just didn't take to her.

However, if Hallmark had put, for example, Brooke Burns and Cameron Mathison in the roles for the same movie, the viewers would have been much kinder and the movie probably would have been better.

I am looking forward to the new Fall/Halloween-themed movies this month (which are basically the preamble to the massive Countdown to Christmas), but I must say that I did not like last year's "Midnight Masquerade" as much as I'd hoped I would, despite all of the festive Halloween décor in the background and despite Autumn Reeser's appeal.  I think it was a lack of chemistry issue for me.  So I am hoping that these new movies will be decent.  I like Jesse Hutch, but he was so great with Candace Cameron Bure in "Let It Snow" from a couple of years ago that I don't know if I can accept him with another leading lady!   Lol.

Edited by Sherry67

Autumn Dreams was ok- I love me some Colin Egglesfield and the lead actress was good, but I hate stories that will involve people breaking up with their current fiancé just so they can be with each other. It makes me uncomfortable to watch. Plus, even though Ben's fiancé was high maintenance, she wasn't a bad person.

Hopefully Harvest Moon is better. October Kiss doesn't look promising.

When did Hello, It's Me come on? I missed it and now I have to hunt it down.

Autumn Dreams was ok- I love me some Colin Egglesfield and the lead actress was good, but I hate stories that will involve people breaking up with their current fiancé just so they can be with each other. It makes me uncomfortable to watch. Plus, even though Ben's fiancé was high maintenance, she wasn't a bad person.

Hopefully Harvest Moon is better. October Kiss doesn't look promising.

When did Hello, It's Me come on? I missed it and now I have to hunt it down.

I have "Autumn Dreams" saved on the DVR, ready to watch it when I have a block of time.   "October Kiss" is the one that I originally thought I would like, but I find that sometimes I end up not liking the ones I expect to like, and loving the ones I expected to dislike.

"Hello, It's Me" premiered on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries last Sunday night -- one week ago.  It's worth watching.

I know what you mean about the stories with someone breaking up with a fiancé so they can be with someone else.   It's an interesting plot device in any movie, especially when the fiancé/fiancée that is being broken up with is not a bad person. 

A prime example of that scenario is actually from one of my favorite Hallmark Christmas movies, "A Very Merry Mix-Up."  Alice (Alicia Witt) has fallen for this random guy (and his charming family, the Mitchums) in a matter of a couple of days, realizing that he is her soul mate.  Her actual fiancé's family is not warm and friendly like the Mitchums are, and her fiancé doesn't really seem to understand Alice and understand the things that are important to her.  But he is not a bad guy.  He is a bit misguided, and he has different priorities, but he is not bad.... which makes it harder for her to come to grips with breaking up with him.  The scene in which she breaks it off with said fiancé is surprisingly one of the better acted and better written scenes in a Hallmark movie, but it had me feeling a little bit bad for the fiancé for a few minutes.

Also, in "A Bride for Christmas"... Arielle Kebbel's character has fallen for her client (the very cute Andrew Walker), and she has to break it off with her perfectly decent almost-husband, who is clearly not right for her but is not a bad guy at all.

I guess it makes it so much easier to accept the breakup when the fiancé is a jerk or just over-the-top snobby and inappropriate.

Edited by Sherry67

I watched Hello, It's Me last week and enjoyed it.  It took me a bit to realize that the lead actor was on When Calls the Heart.  I also enjoyed Autumn Dreams.  I've liked Colin Egglesfield since All My Children.  I'm hoping that he will become a regular on the Hallmark movie circuit. I was expecting to find out that Annie's fiance was the one who got rid of all of the correspondence from the past.  

I'm looking forward to The Reckoning on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries next week.  

Edited by Stacey1014

I thought Autumn Dreams was a step down from "Love On The Air" and "Hello, It's Me."  I like Colin okay and the female lead was very good but I just didn't connect with the characters together.  Overall, the movie was just so very meh

I guess it makes it so much easier to accept the breakup when the fiancé is a jerk or just over-the-top snobby and inappropriate.

It's a fine line because while in some ways it's easier to accept the breakup.  In other ways, it makes the leads look like ridiculous dolts for being engaged to someone like that. 

I think that was especially the case with Autumn Dreams.  The fiancee wasn't as bad as I thought she was going to be after we first met her but it doesn't change the fact that when we first meet her, it was clear how incompatible the two of them were.  It made me wonder why the heck they were getting married.  And her presence wasn't even an obstacle when it came to the guy trying to reconnect with his soon-to-be-ex-wife.  Heck, he was going along with the plan to marry her without telling her he's already married. It was not a good look for him whatsoever and it made it really hard for me to like him.  At least with the woman's fiance, we knew that they were old friends and shared a passion for the farm.  (I did like that he got to be pissed off at both of them.)

• Love 3

I thought Autumn Dreams was a step down from "Love On The Air" and "Hello, It's Me."  I like Colin okay and the female lead was very good but I just didn't connect with the characters together.  Overall, the movie was just so very meh

It's a fine line because while in some ways it's easier to accept the breakup.  In other ways, it makes the leads look like ridiculous dolts for being engaged to someone like that. 

I think that was especially the case with Autumn Dreams.  The fiancee wasn't as bad as I thought she was going to be after we first met her but it doesn't change the fact that when we first meet her, it was clear how incompatible the two of them were.  It made me wonder why the heck they were getting married.  And her presence wasn't even an obstacle when it came to the guy trying to reconnect with his soon-to-be-ex-wife.  Heck, he was going along with the plan to marry her without telling her he's already married. It was not a good look for him whatsoever and it made it really hard for me to like him.  At least with the woman's fiance, we knew that they were old friends and shared a passion for the farm.  (I did like that he got to be pissed off at both of them.)

I still have "Autumn Dreams" saved on the DVR and have to carve out time to watch it, hopefully before Saturday's next Fall-themed movie, "Harvest Moon."  I have a feeling that I will think it's meh too.

You make a good point about the jerky boyfriends/girlfriends vs. the normal/decent ones.  While it is easier to justify the main character dumping a jerk to be with their true love, it does then raise the question of why that jerk was around in the first place. 

Was it "Surprised By Love" -- the new movie from this past January with Hilarie Burton and Paul Campbell (who is really funny) -- in which the jerky boyfriend was trying to do something underhanded to get Paul Campbell out of the picture, and out of Hilarie Burton's life?   I think I wondered why Hilarie had been with the jerk in the first place.

Also, in one of my all-time favorite Hallmark Christmas movies, "Snow Bride" (in which the 2 leads have a lot of chemistry), the stupid, jealous ex-girlfriend of the main guy (Jordan Belfi) is just an awful person all around, going after all the men in the family (2 brothers and the dad, apparently) and then trying to make the lead actress (Katrina Law) look bad so that she will leave forever and not get together with Jordan Belfi.   That shrew turned out to be so unpleasant that I definitely had to wonder why none of the men realized what a bitch she was until that moment.

Edited by Sherry67

Sherry67, you are right about Snow Bride. I don't understand why such a nice character like Ben would like such an awful character, but he seemed pretty self aware that he found out about her afterwards. She was probably nice at first schmoozing the family to get in, then when Ben figured she was using him to become popular with the paparazzi, he was done with her. Talking about this movie makes me want to watch it again- just love that movie!

• Love 2

While it is easier to justify the main character dumping a jerk to be with their true love, it does then raise the question of why that jerk was around in the first place.

Right.  It really doesn't speak well of the main character, and suggests he/she has some thinking to do, rather than jumping into a new relationship.  I think too many writers think there must be artificially high obstacles for the designated pairing.  I prefer it when the wrongly-matched couple aren't actually engaged or on the verge of a big commitment, and instead organically realize they aren't right for each other. 

• Love 1

Sherry67, you are right about Snow Bride. I don't understand why such a nice character like Ben would like such an awful character, but he seemed pretty self aware that he found out about her afterwards. She was probably nice at first schmoozing the family to get in, then when Ben figured she was using him to become popular with the paparazzi, he was done with her. Talking about this movie makes me want to watch it again- just love that movie!

I love, love, love "Snow Bride'!!   I am waiting for the DVD to arrive.   Hallmark doesn't release a lot of its movies to DVD, for some reason, and even among those that are available on DVD I will only buy very specific ones.  Some of them I like well enough to watch them a couple of times on TV when the marathons are going on, but some of them I like well enough to get the DVD.  "Snow Bride" is one that I wasn't sure would ever make it to DVD, and when it finally popped up on the pre-order circuit last month I knew I would have to get it.  My DVD is supposed to be arriving tomorrow!   ("Let It Snow" arrives in December.)

I couldn't figure out why Ben's brother was dopey enough to get hooked up with the girl -- was her name Claire?  -- after she had been with Ben, not to mention the fact that she apparently hit on their dad too!   Lol.  I actually felt a bit bad for the brother later on, though, as he was clawing and crawling through the snow to find the ring that she threw.  

Right.  It really doesn't speak well of the main character, and suggests he/she has some thinking to do, rather than jumping into a new relationship.  I think too many writers think there must be artificially high obstacles for the designated pairing.  I prefer it when the wrongly-matched couple aren't actually engaged or on the verge of a big commitment, and instead organically realize they aren't right for each other. 

I always thought the lead character played by Arielle Kebbel in "A Bride for Christmas" (was her name Georgie?  Why am I blanking out on the name?) was extremely flawed.  Beautiful, but flawed.  She was, essentially, the "runaway bride," having left a few almost-husbands at the alter or just before getting married.   So, along comes the hot guy (Andrew Walker) -- who romances her to win a bet with his buddies, which was pretty screwed up in the first place.  But... lo and behold... he bites off more than he can chew by getting involved with the runaway bride.  I mean, wasn't he wondering what was wrong with her that she kept leaving everyone? 

That whole movie -- although I really like it and I like Arielle and Andrew's chemistry -- was odd, because I didn't know whether I was supposed to feel bad for her because the hot guy was trying to woo her to win a bet, or if I was supposed to be concerned about him because he might get dumped by her (since she dumps everyone else)!   Lol.   Something was wrong with her that she kept getting engaged to guys she didn't really love, and I don't know why any new guy would have trusted her to not run off.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

I finally watched "Autumn Dreams."   It was okay -- not bad, not terrible, and not great.   There wasn't much "autumn" in the movie except for a shot of some trees in Central Park and the Harvest Festival at the very end of the movie, so it almost seemed like the autumn aspect was just tossed into the mix and tacked on so Hallmark could officially include it in their Fall Harvest event this month.  It wasn't really about anything autumnal, though, other than potentially damaged crops (and that part of the movie only lasted a couple of minutes). 

This coming weekend's new movie, "Harvest Moon," is at least about something specific having to do with autumn -- it's about a pumpkin farm.   Last year's Halloween movie, "Midnight Masquerade," had autumn and Halloween décor in the background of every single scene, so at least it felt like it was taking place during a very specific season.

It's odd for me with these Hallmark movies --while they all follow the same basic formulas and tone, and while they are all predictable, I don't mind going along for the ride as long as the movie is enjoyable.  However, I am discovering that not all Hallmark movies are created equal despite the similarities.  Some of the movies I love (such as the aforementioned "Snow Bride" and "A Very Merry Mix-Up"), some of them bore me to tears, and some of them are just so-so.

I would say that "Autumn Dreams" was so-so for me.  There was nothing wrong with it.   The 2 leads were likeable enough, but I didn't pick up on any real spark between them.  Also, to me, the lead actress, Jill Wagner, seemed just a tad older than her leading man.  I don't know if she IS older than he is in real life, but he seemed younger to me by about 5 years or so. 

I liked the kindly, wise limo driver, and when he traveled to Iowa at the end of the movie I thought, "Annie's mom will have a new boyfriend!"

Edited by Sherry67

Harvest Moon was ok- the leads made it watchable. I think it worked up until the last 20 minutes when everything seemed rushed. There should have been a scene after she didn't sign the farm over where she apologized for leaving, and how their money problems were gone and she wasn't selling the farm. Also, I wish that she seemed more hesitant to sign the farm away- it only seemed like she kept it for the money, not for the people she cared about.

• Love 3

I liked "Harvest Moon" -- in fact, I think I will give it a bit of an edge over last week's "Autumn Dreams"   I liked the whole thing -- the pumpkins, the pumpkin cream, the group dance scene, etc.

I was not familiar with Jessy Schram's work (I don't watch "Once Upon a Time"), but she is very cute and she was likeable in the role.  Jesse Hutch is a solid Hallmark actor (although he does, shockingly, have a Christmas movie coming to Lifetime this year), and his character, Brett, in HM was basically the same guy he played in "Let It Snow," but I didn't mind the similarities.

My interpretation of Jen wanting to sell the farm and then keeping it is that she was still trying to help her dad out of his financial mess.  She didn't really want to sell the farm, but she was hurt about Brett's secret plan and she wanted to get some money to help her dad.  Then the offer for the cream came through -- and the special mineral could only be found on the farm!!!!! (What a coincidence!) -- so that was the sign that she knew she had to keep the farm.  I think the money from the cream was going to continue to help her dad, as well as help to build the farm up and add to it, as well as hire people on the farm to help create and make the cream, and manage the whole thing.   She cared about the people, but she was hurt and she just need a little push, or a reminder, that the farm was worth keeping -- and it came in the form of the pumpkin cream offer.  Lol.

It did seem like a scene went missing somewhere, though.  After she got the offer for the cream the story fast forwarded a year, and there should have been a scene where she returned to the farm and patched things up with everyone.  Ah well... it was a sweet movie, nonetheless.  I liked it better than some other movies, and less than some other movies.

I forgot to mention--the biggest surprise of Autumn Dreams?  No character named Autumn.

Harvest Moon was better than Autumn Dreams but not by much.  I didn't really get into the love story much but enjoyed the lead female and her journey.

There should have been a scene after she didn't sign the farm over where she apologized for leaving, and how their money problems were gone and she wasn't selling the farm. Also, I wish that she seemed more hesitant to sign the farm away- it only seemed like she kept it for the money, not for the people she cared about.

I didn't have a problem with her actions even if she did keep it for the money (which she probably didn't).  I actually thought the family who used to own the farm was acting quite entitled.  They sold their farm.  They were lucky they were able to continue to live and work there.  Then Jen faced financial issues herself and had every right to sell it.  And when she wasn't satisfied with the offers she got, she worked her butt off to try to increase her profits despite the family sabotaging her efforts.

For all she knew, the romance may have been part of the effort to undermine her.  Why shouldn't she sell?  It's not like the family was in any position to be able to buy back the farm themselves. It also didn't seem like she and her father were in the position to just hang onto assets either.  In fact, it was her exploration of the pumpkin cream that got them all into a financial position to keep the farm.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

I enjoyed Harvest Moon.  I thought that the story was pretty good and I liked the actors involved (although I didn't realize that the female lead played Cinderella in Once Upon a Time).  The only thing I didn't like was the pumpkin cream at the end.  It seemed like she had taken the grandmother's recipe when she left the farm and gave it to her friend.  I'm guessing that the family owned the rights to the cream and not the pumpkin farm.

While I'm looking forward to next week's movie, the title of the movie (October Kiss) seems a bit cheesy.  I'm sure that I'll enjoy the movie since I like the actress (she was in a Lifetime Christmas movie that I enjoyed a year or two ago), but I'm not a fan of the title of the movie.

It seemed like she had taken the grandmother's recipe when she left the farm and gave it to her friend.  I'm guessing that the family owned the rights to the cream and not the pumpkin farm.

No.  She gave her friend a pot of the pumpkin cream when she first came to visit.  The friend slipped it into her purse.  She tried it later, loved it and had her company try to figure out the recipe/what made it work.  As for the pumpkin cream, it would be complicated by the fact that there was no patent on it.  And there was no specific recipe.  I believe a list of ingredients can't be copyrighted but a list of amounts of ingredients plus process could be.  

While I'm looking forward to next week's movie, the title of the movie (October Kiss) seems a bit cheesy.

Well this is Hallmark.  I would argue that the non-cheesy title is the exception, not the rule.

Edited by Irlandesa

I enjoyed "Harvest Moon" too.  It *was* pretty much was "Let It Snow" with pumpkins.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I lurved "Let It Snow" and probably watched it about seven times last Christmas.

I only just happened upon the little movie marathon Saturday and I must say--it really got me psyched for the upcoming Christmas movie extravaganza starting on Halloween. 

I enjoyed October Kiss, probably because of the two leads.  There were things I could nitpick such as why she thought the guy was so wonderful when he chose to go on a date even though his kids felt ignored.  Don't get me wrong, the guy deserves a romantic life it's just that a period where he's super busy at work might not exactly be the perfect time to start one after four years of not having one. And how ridiculous it was that he essentially told her to stop working when she said she wouldn't extend her stay with them.  And how is having the kids getting attached a bad thing?  While it was a cute line, "permanantly ours" seemed a bit of a leap for two people who had never gone out on a date of just the two of them alone.

But ignoring all that, the leads really did carry it.  Ashley Williams is always charming and the lead guy was charming as well despite playing someone who was so not aware.  

Although this movie did continue something I've noticed lately and that is weirdness in how these movies end.  For instance, I get adding a tag when they flash forward to a wedding or to some point in the future where they show everyone is doing okay.  But showing them going trick or treating just seemed odd where the kiss/"She is a mermaid" may have made for a better ending.

• Love 3

Yeah, it's like there is a separate writer that writes the first part, and then someone completely different who writes the disjointed ending. There haven't been many Hallmark movies that have a satisfying ending- most start out good then have an abrupt ending.

I watched October Kiss, and am now struggling with whether I liked it better than Harvest Moon, or vice versa.  I like Autumn Dreams the least of the 3, and that was mainly because there wasn't enough "autumn" in the movie, and I didn't really think the 2 leads had much chemistry together.

What I liked about OK is that there was lots of "Halloween" everywhere.  There were decorations all over the place, in every scene... not to mention the fact that they were constantly doing Fall or Halloween-ish things throughout the movie (going to the festival; getting pumpkins; putting together costumes; decorating; eating pumpkin-y foods; trick or treating, etc.).  It really felt like it was taking place right around and on Halloween and that Halloween was a big deal, and not just that it was supposed to be a romance set against a throwaway Halloween backdrop.

I also think that Ashley Williams really stood out.  She reminds me of Alicia Witt in the sense that she fits the Hallmark mold, but she also seems to have a sharp sense of humor and good timing in delivering her lines.  She's 'in on the joke,' if that makes sense.   I think that Ashley and Alicia are better actresses than many of the actresses in these types of movies on any channel, so they can pull off that kind of dialogue and banter.

Ashley almost didn't even seem like she was acting.  Her acting style is so natural.  It didn't feel forced at all.  It seemed like she really could be that joke-cracking, free spirited person in real life.

The other thing is, Ashley has a very pretty face -- lovely features -- but her beauty was so downplayed in this movie that it was never distracting or alienating.  Does that make sense?  She didn't really have any scenes where she suddenly showed up looking like a bomshell -- even though I am certain she could look like a bombshell if she wanted to.  She came off as very 'girl next door'-ish, and approachable.

Anyway, I hope that Hallmark can rope Ashley into their stable of reliable actors and put her in a Christmas movie, a Valentine's Day movie and a wedding movie!  Lol.

The romance in October Kiss was just okay for me.  I thought that the guy was charming enough, and likeable enough, but I didn't pick up on a huge spark between the two of them together.  To me, it felt like "Poppy" fell in love with the whole family more than she fell in love with a man who just happened to have great kids too.  In fact, it kind of felt like she cared more about the kids than about Dad!

I agree that the end did feel a bit rushed/abrupt.  I don't think there were enough scenes of the two leads falling for each other, as the kids were always around, or the other woman was around.  But, in general, Hallmark delivered what I expect from them -- good ol' seasonal comfort TV.

I think I liked the romance in Harvest Moon better than the romance in October Kiss, but both movies had some funny scenes and sweet moments.

All in all, I think it was a good run for Hallmark's first "Fall Harvest" event, and I fully expect that they will do a bigger event next year, with maybe an extra couple of movies thrown in.  I know there is still one more movie to go, but I almost don't count the Good Witch Halloween, as I associate it more with being a bridge from Season 1 to Season 2 of the series than I associate it with being a Fall Harvest movie.

I am fully ready for the 2-month wave of Christmas movies now!  Bring 'em on!!!!

By the way.... of the 17 new Hallmark Christmas movies coming up (on the Hallmark Channel, not the Movies & Mysteries Channel), the very last one on the schedule -- Christmas Land -- apparently still doesn't have a cast, and still has not begun filming.  I am assuming that's why Hallmark put it at the very end of the line (Dec. 20), to give it enough time to be filmed, edited, etc.  To be honest, Hallmark changes things so much -- even after they have been announced and made public -- that I would not be shocked if Christmas Land ends up quietly 'disappearing' from the schedule, though it has already been announced.   If filming has not even begun, and there is no cast at this late stage in October, it may not be able to squeak into that December 20th spot on the schedule.  It may not be made at all, or it may end up as part of next year's Christmas in July event!

• Love 1
The other thing is, Ashley has a very pretty face -- lovely features -- but her beauty was so downplayed in this movie that it was never distracting or alienating.  Does that make sense?  She didn't really have any scenes where she suddenly showed up looking like a bomshell -- even though I am certain she could look like a bombshell if she wanted to.  She came off as very 'girl next door'-ish, and approachable.

I did notice they never had her dress up which I liked.  She was who she was.  Not that dressing up is bad but it didn't fit the movie and at least the dad didn't have an epiphany because she "cleaned up well."

I think I liked the romance in Harvest Moon better than the romance in October Kiss, but both movies had some funny scenes and sweet moments.

I'm the opposite.  Even though I do agree it felt a lot like the family was a huge part of it, I thought they had more chemistry than the Harvest Moon duo did.  And I liked both of the leads whereas I took issue with the Harvest Moon guy.  Loved the female lead in that one, though.

I almost don't count the Good Witch Halloween, as I associate it more with being a bridge from Season 1 to Season 2 of the series than I associate it with being a Fall Harvest movie.

Me neither.  I don't watch any of the movie series except for Signed, Sealed, Delivered

Christmas Land -- apparently still doesn't have a cast, and still has not begun filming.  I am assuming that's why Hallmark put it at the very end of the line (Dec. 20), to give it enough time to be filmed, edited, etc.

Are we sure or has it just not been announced yet? 

I just discovered this forum because I was looking for posts about the Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) movies.  Does anyone here watch them (besides me...I'm a REAL fan!)?  Absolutely loved the latest installment that aired tonight, "Lost in Paradise." 

I did notice they never had her dress up which I liked.  She was who she was.  Not that dressing up is bad but it didn't fit the movie and at least the dad didn't have an epiphany because she "cleaned up well."

I'm the opposite.  Even though I do agree it felt a lot like the family was a huge part of it, I thought they had more chemistry than the Harvest Moon duo did.  And I liked both of the leads whereas I took issue with the Harvest Moon guy.  Loved the female lead in that one, though.

Me neither.  I don't watch any of the movie series except for Signed, Sealed, Delivered

Are we sure or has it just not been announced yet? 

I was fully expecting an epiphany!  Lol.  I was expecting Poppy to get dolled up for some reason or another (although it didn't make any sense in the story), and for the dad to gaze upon her with googly eyes as she floated down a staircase or something.  She pretty much looked the same throughout the entire movie, and she wasn't trying to be different just to attract the dad.  Even the mermaid outfit at the end was not particularly becoming or alluring.

As for Christmas Land.... Well, let's put it this way.  There are various clues pointing to either no cast, or a very, very, very delayed filming.   The writer of the story (whose name is, I think, Rickie Castaneda or something similar to that) said a while back on Twitter that she didn't know who was in the movie.   That's one clue.  Then, when Hallmark posted its schedule/premiere dates for all of the new movies this year on its website and Facebook page (just within the last few weeks), the only title that didn't have any actors' names listed underneath it was Christmas Land.

Also, usually some kinds of tidbits will leak out online somewhere, either on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter, to indicate that Christmas movies are currently being filmed, and often times the actors will say the movie is for Hallmark.   The new Sarah Lancaster movie, the new Alicia Witt movie, the new Katrina Law movie, the new Rachel Boston movie, and several others for Hallmark, UP and Lifetime, all yielded clues and hints in various places online.

There are also the websites that reveal which movies are currently in production in certain areas, and they will mention who the movies are for.  Nothing Christmasy seems to be in production for Hallmark right now other than the Mariah Carey-Lacey Chabert-Brennan Elliott movie.

And, to me, it seems like Hallmark probably would have wanted to end the Countdown to Christmas with the Mariah Carey movie, so it  would be the grand finale. Instead, now they've got Christmas Land scheduled on the day after Mariah's movie, which seems anticlimactic.

So it is possible that somewhere out there, Christmas Land is being filmed and that no clues have trickled out whatsoever, either from established Hallmark actors or new Hallmark actors.  Maybe the movie is even being filmed under a different working title for now.  But I would bet that up until very recently, it hadn't begun shooting yet and there was probably some sort of unexpected delay.  Perhaps one of the actors had to drop out, or a director had to drop out -- anything could have happened.  If the movie has not begun shooting yet, then it stands a chance of not making it into the Countdown by 12/20.

If Christmas Land has begun shooting, and it ends up featuring a cast of unknown, unfamiliar actors (unfamiliar to Hallmark fans), then I think they should switch it with the Mariah Carey movie -- have Christmas Land air on 12/19 and A Christmas Melody air on 12/20 instead of the other way around -- just to go out with a bang.

Maizie131, I've seen (and recorded) all the Jesse Stone movies. Sadly, I think the quality has dropped a bit since Mr. Parker passed away and others have picked up the writing. I've never read any of the books so I don't know, but was the dialogue stilted in the books? I don't recall the early movies having such choppy exchanges.

Sad to see that Reggie was gone. I checked imdb, and Joe, the dog who played Reggie, died in 2013. Steve, the new dog, was played by a dog named Ned.

I'm not sure how involved Parker was in the movies, but the books clearly took a nosedive after he died.

This movie was confusing to me - I kept thinking that I had seen it before, that a bunch of the story felt like it had been in other movies, but it was clearly a new movie.

• Love 1

I just discovered this forum because I was looking for posts about the Jesse Stone (Tom Selleck) movies.  Does anyone here watch them (besides me...I'm a REAL fan!)?  Absolutely loved the latest installment that aired tonight, "Lost in Paradise."

I watch them, but more because of Tom Selleck than out of love for the movies.  In fact, I don't know why Selleck's characters lately have been so dour (Stone movies) or self-righteous (Blue Bloods), given that Selleck himself can do wit so well.  Let the twinkle in his eye out, people!

I liked October Kiss quite a bit, too, although I do think we needed more scenes of the two leads alone together.  Ashley Williams was very good, I agree -- she's got the right vibe for a Hallmark movie, but she also brings talent and intelligence to the role, which not all actors in these movies do.

As for Christmas Land -- maybe Hallmark should focus on fewer new movies every year, and re-air the really good ones from the past.

Edited by beadgirl
  • Love 1
As for Christmas Land -- maybe Hallmark should focus on fewer new movies every year, and re-air the really good ones from the past.

The channel airs movies for two months straight, 24/7.  Plenty of time for attempts at something new.  Besides, I see Hallmark movies as a numbers game.  The more they make, the better chance we have of getting a good one.  Less doesn't always mean better quality. 

• Love 1

I have mixed opinions and feelings about the number of new Christmas movies this year.   There are so many (although Christmas Land could end up on the chopping block if it's not being filmed right at this very moment).  It makes me wonder if next year Hallmark will up the ante and go for 20 new movies.  Twenty is not that far from 17, and I don't see how they could ever make fewer new movies at this point, now that they have set the bar so high for themselves.  It's not like they can go from 17 new movies back down to 12, or all of the people who complain that they don't make enough movies will not be happy.  (There are people who think that the entire 2 month marathon should be filled with only new movies, 'round-the-clock, as implausible and impractical as that may be, and they don't seem to understand the concept of a marathon that includes both older AND newer movies.) 

On one hand, I think it is mostly a good thing to have lots of new movies -- as Irlandesa said, the more they make, the better chance we have of getting a good one... or a few good ones.  Also, the quantity of new movies keeps people tuning in each weekend -- people that may have gotten tired of the older movies. 

On the other hand, I think that the more new movies that Hallmark makes and tosses into the Countdown to Christmas, the more some of the older movies (and by "older" I mean anything prior to 2014 or so) get pushed out of the line-up, or they get reduced to airing at hours when no one is awake (see the Finding Christmas schedule for this year -- I'll have to be up in the wee hours of the morning if I want to see it), or they get pushed over to Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.

I really like a blend of the older and the newer.  I like seeing all of my favorites from previous years, and I don't have a problem with the repeats of them, as I have more chances to see them at times that are convenient for me.   But I look forward to the new ones in hope that there will be even one gem in the bunch, let alone more than one.

Last year the movie that caught me by surprise (I was not expecting to like it) was Nine Lives of Christmas.  I thought it was adorable from start to finish.  I liked some of the other new ones from last year quite a bit as well, but I didn't like any of them as much as I liked Nine Lives.

In 2013, for me there was a bonanza of good movies in the new bunch -- 4 of which are among my all-time Hallmark favorites (The Christmas Ornament, Snow Bride, A Very Merry Mix-Up and Let It Snow), and another 2 or 3 that were really solid too.

So, while I would be happy if I came away from this year's Countdown with 1-3 new gems (like last year), I think I am secretly hoping that I am going to hit the jackpot and stumble upon a hotbed o' new favorites like I did in 2013.

That's kind of the fun of it -- there are so many new movies that I never know which ones will surprise me and end up being gems, or which ones will end up being... not gems (Mr. Miracle fell into the latter category for me last year).

At the same time, I don't want my older favorites to disappear from the line-up or get bumped to middle-of-the-night showtimes only!

I should also add -- and I know this is not a popular opinion, which I can totally understand -- because I have both Hallmark channels, I appreciate that there is one group of movies on the regular Hallmark Channel and another group of movies on Movies & Mysteries.  If I did not have both channels I know I would be annoyed that I couldn't see some of them.  I like that each channel's line-up of movies has a different tone to it.  If I am in the mood for movies that are light and frothy, I turn to the regular channel.  If I am in the mood for movies that are a bit more serious, with more of a 'message,' I turn to Movies & Mysteries.   More often than not I stay with the light and frothy movies, but because a couple of movies that I really like are now moving over to Movies & Mysteries this year, I am going to have to spend more time on that channel too.

Edited by Sherry67

I agree, but with DVR it's easier to keep movies I like so I can Rewatch later in the year (still have Let It Snow, Snow Bride, Nine Lives, and Recipe for a Perfect Christmas on my DVR from last year). That way, I don't have to frantically DVR the ones I like when they come late at night. I hope this year has some new movies I love, but sometimes the high amount of movies they make lead to a lot of ok movies or downright terrible ones (One Starry Christmas comes to mind). Now with UP and Ion, it's hard to keep these movies straight! I hope ABC family comes out with some new ones- I was disappointed they didn't have any last year, and their movies are usually awesome.

Oops, back on topic since this isn't the Christmas thread. I have yet to see October Kiss but I'm happy that you guys liked it so will check it out. Jury is out on whether I want to watch the good witch one this week- I was sort of watching the series but it was boring.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1