Type keyword(s) to search

Hit Lists: Favorite Shows Of Any Era!

Sitcoms???? That's....harder. I don't think there are any that I would but I my top fifty list.

I will take the challenge though.

. Roseanne

. Mad About You

. Mom

: Weeds

. Nurse Jackie

If you are counting the Dramedies that are being contested as inbetweeners(OITNB & Shameless). Then it makes it easier.

(edited)

Top 5 sitcoms is nigh impossible. Here's five that would be in my top 20 at the very least.

Black Books

Pulling

Arrested Development

French & Saunders

Smack The Pony

Can you tell I'm a fan of British comedy?

ETA: Oh, 5-10. Then I'll add (some more britcoms)

Absolutely Fabulous

The Thick of It (seasons 3 and 4)

Burning Love

Peep Show

Gimme Gimme Gimme

Edited by joelene
  • Love 2

Nature

Nova

Northern Exposure

Six Feet Under

Deadwood

The Sopranos

Breaking Bad

The Walking Dead

Game of Thrones

Grey's Anatomy

Sitcoms - that's tough:

Mash

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Absolutely Fabulous

Weeds

Friends

Talk Shows:

Dick Cavett

The Colbert Report

The Daily Show

Top 5 Comedies:

Whose Line Is It Anyway

"Chef" with Lenny Henry

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Third Rock from the Sun

5th choice - maybe Cheers or 30 Rock, depending on my mood.

however, one of the first shows to come to mind was Mork and Mindy.  That was the first time I was blown away by a comedian (Robin WIlliams).

• Love 3

Top 5 sitcomes (in no order):

- Coupling (UK)

- Men Behaving Badly (UK - 'cause, apparently there was the American attempt... seriously, why?!)

- Monty Python's Flying Circus

- Absolutely Fabulous

- Whose Line Is It Anyway (US)

And if we are to stretch the list, I'll add MASH and Frasier

• Love 1

I've haven't posted yet because I can't think of too many shows that I loved from series premiere to series finale.  So, I guess I'll just post some of my favorites with exceptions:

Comedies in no order (except the first one :):

WKRP in Cincinnati (all of it--this is my favorite comedy of all time.  It will always top my list.)

The Big Bang Theory (all of it so far)

Frasier (until Niles and Daphne got together)

Designing Women (Until Delta Burke left)

Arrested Development (all of it)

Other shows, again, in no order:

ER (except the last couple of seasons)

The West Wing (Until Aaron Sorkin left)

Burn Notice (all of it, but I understand why people didn't like the last season--it felt like a completely different show)

24 (all of it)

Breaking Bad (all of it)

Sleepy Hollow (all of it, so far)

Arrow (all of it, so far--yeah, I said :)

MASH (I liked the years after Colonel Potter)

Modern Family (all of it so far)

Parks and Rec (still haven't seen the final season)

• Love 1

Add another to my list: through the first third of it (the first season, basically), M Squad is consistently holding my interest. Not only is Lee Marvin really bringing it as Lt. Frank Ballinger, but I have gotten to the point where the title track was composed by the late, great Count Basie, and it sounds great. 

• Love 1

Wow, this is going to bring me back to my childhood here. Now, these aren't all shows that I have watched recently, but they're shows that I remember loving.

Gilligan's Island: this one was so part of my childhood. My mom and I used to watch the reruns on TV (because I was not even close to being born when this show was first airing). We have two seasons in a boxset and I can remember the majority of the episodes very clearly.

Bewitched is another one I haven't watched in ages, but I loved it as a kid. We have the Christmas movie on VHS and I wanted to be Samantha Montgomery so badly. 

Reba: Man, this show was amazing. I haven't laughed harder at a sitcom in who knows how long. Van was the man, even more so than Barbara Jean and all the characters hit the comedic points at the right moment, even the younger kids. 

Charmed: Ok, so this one I have always loved, even now knowing how bad the show truly is. I just can't help it; I can still watch the show and love it. 

I Dream of Jeannie: People associated Larry Hagman as JR from Dallas. I associated Larry Hagman as Major Nelson from this show. I don't know if I'd still love the show, but man was I into it as a kid. Clearly, my mother showed me all these classic shows.

Happy Days: I liked some of the seasons more than others, but it was still a very good show and I will forever associate Henry Winkler as The Fonz and although I know Ron Howard is an amazing director, he'll always be Richie first

Hawaii Five O: This is a show I can watch sporadically and be fine with it. I don't watch it all the time, but it's a show I've definitely found myself enjoying more and more.

Arrow: Ok, I still like the show and I attribute a lot of this to Stephen Amell. He's a great actor, if you really look closely, and he has such a vibrant personality in the media that I can't help but love him. He seems like a genuinely great guy who works hard and enjoys what he does. The show may have gone downhill since the first half of season 2, but SA is there to make it better.

Murder, She Wrote: This was one of the first 'detective' shows that I watched, and my grandmother got me into them. I have never been that close with my grandmother, but this is one of the moments where we have truly bonded and I think it's a decent show.

Orange is the New Black: I am loving this show right now. It's honestly such a fantastic show and I have enjoyed every minute of it. 

(edited)

A list of my favorites of sitcoms and other shows, would be different from my desert island list, because my taste has changed.

Sitcom favs would be The Bob Newhart Show, The Odd Couple, both of which I'd still chose.
Others would be Mary Tyler Moore, Bewitched, and Father Knows Best.
Other shows I loved in their day were The Avengers, The Wild, Wild West (loved Ross Martin), and the Lou Grant Show.
I loved Monty Python, but don't consider that a sitcom.
My desert island list would be all of the Mike Holmes shows, Disaster DIY, The Odd Couple (Klugman/Randall), The Bob Newhart Show, and hmm.

I might like the Garry Moore Show, but I'd hate to pick it, then find it hadn't kept its appeal.
Oh, I know.  Buy Me.  Really wish they'd bring it back.

Forgot my true crime shows.  The Shift, and Nightwatch.

Edited by auntjess

Even Stevens: Favorite show of all time. Top notch comedy, writing and acting -- Especially for a Disney Channel show. Greatly influenced my sense of humor growing up. I didn't even realize this until I decided to rewatch the show in 2011 and absolutely died laughing. A lot of the material went over my head as a kid. It's actually sort of dry at times. As an adult, I have a different/new strong appreciation for it. Also, Shia LaBeouf was my first TV crush. 

Lizzie McGuire: Hilary Duff was my absolute idol growing up. I wanted to be her/Lizzie so bad. When I became a middle schooler, I felt so cool because I was "like Lizzie!" haha. Basically, the show holds an immense amount of nostalgia for me and is always comforting to watch. I could watch it over and over and not get bored. It's sort of a safe place for me to escape to. 

The Office: Obviously, just hilarious. The dry, mockumentary style will always kill me. Also, ya can't beat Steve Carell as Michael Scott. What a great character, haha. 

Boy Meets World: Another show I remember watching live on ABC in the late 90s and then watching reruns on Disney in the Early 2000s. It was never my favorite show, but I always watch it whenever it's on TV and I own the whole series on DVD. It's a show I like to return to from time to time. 

The Partridge Family: One of my mom's favorite shows growing up. We're best friends, so when I bought her The complete Partridge Family series on DVD, I watched like.. 20 episodes with her and I thought it was genuinely funny. I really enjoyed it and want to binge-watch it myself. I feel like it's always been in the shadow of The Brady Bunch. Which is unfortunate. I think it's way better, more "real" and much funnier. 

And last but not least... Endless seasons of competition shows like America's Next Top Model, please! I don't know why. I just get addicted to shows like that. 

Edited by evenstevensranked
  • Love 1

I don't think I've ever seen this topic!

sitcoms for me would be (in no particular order)

The Big Bang Theory

M*A*S*H

WKRP

Golden Girls

Night Court

Dramas/Crime would be:

Starsky & Hutch (my #1 show of all time)

ER 

NCIS LA

LOST

X-Files

Reality/Documentary/Other:

The Crown

Mysteries at the Museum

Disappeared

Expedition Unknown

On 1/14/2015 at 6:45 PM, amensisterfriend said:

What are your 5-10 very favorite shows, the ones that you'd take with you to that hypothetical desert island---and why? Just to be clear, these aren't necessarily the shows you think are of the highest quality, just the ones to which you happen to be most attached. If you want to make this even more of a challenge, try putting them in order of preference :) 

I keep track of this stuff regarding actors, TV shows, and movies using the LIST function on IMDb.  Makes sorting things visually a lot easier.  I hope they don't do away with this function like they did the forums.  I'll do a top 11.

In order

Friends
Seinfeld
LOST
Will & Grace
Sex and the City
Survivor
Project Runway
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The New Adventures of Old Christine
Frasier
The Office (US)

The only non-sitcoms are LOST (drama), Sex and the City (dramedy, but also a sitcom I guess), and the 2 reality shows Survivor and Project Runway.  This list includes 5 traditional sitcoms (multicam, studio audience) and 3 non-traditional sitcoms (single cam, no laugh track, and/or mockumentary style.)  So yes, I am a big humour person!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Ooh, this is like my dream thread:

Boy Meets World 

Golden Girls

Veronica Mars

Home Improvement

Friends

Joan of Arcadia

Psych

Supernatural - I almost don't want to put this one as it's my only currently airing show on the list, but this show may never die, so let's just put it here now.

These have drawn the strongest emotional responses from me over the years:

London Spy
I reacted very sympathetically to the protagonist as his life disintegrated while he tried to find out who killed his lover. Gut-wrenchingly well acted, with sharply drawn characters.

Endeavour
Basically a police detective procedural but so clever and atmospheric. I adore Endeavour/Shaun Evans and everyone in his world. Since it's a prequel, knowing Endeavor's ultimate fate adds a poignant twist.

Reckless
A single-season show set in Charleston about two opposing attorneys. The chemistry between the leads is what drew me in hard.

Mary Tyler Moore
There are several sitcoms on my favorites list, but Mary, Lou, Murray, Rhoda, etc., hold a special place.

Defiance
A sci fi western. I was enthralled by the world and all its alien races. The show had one of my favorite characters of all time, Doc Yewll.

The Price Is Right/Jeopardy
I've been watching them for 25+ years, so there's that.

Special Nostalgia Award
Bonanza, because of warm family memories. Sunday dinner at grandma's, then adults and kids all watch together.

Honorable Mention
Roots, Upstairs/Downstairs, Marcella, The Almighty Johnsons, Goliath, Good Behavior

On 2/19/2017 at 8:43 PM, Haleth said:

Not in any particular order:  The West Wing, Lost, Battlestar Gallactica, Friday Night Lights, Vikings.  Those are my all time top 5 favorites, warts and all.

Can you give a short pitch about Vikings? I'm looking for a show to (possibly binge) watch.

2 hours ago, NutMeg said:

Can you give a short pitch about Vikings? I'm looking for a show to (possibly binge) watch.

It's a quasi-historical* depiction of the life of Ragnar Lothbrok and his family in 9thc Scandinavia.  He is an amazing character whose actions are propelled more from intellectual curiosity than a search for wealth.  Yes, he is typical in wanting adventure and gold, but he seeks to understand his enemy, something none of his contemporaries get.  Ragnar is played by Travis Fimmel who gives an outstanding performance with his body language and expressions that convey more than his words.  He gets better and better with each season.  The show does have a lot of graphic violence as can be expected from a culture that glorifies the warrior, but it is all in service to the story.  (If you don't mind the violence of GoT, you wouldn't mind it here.)  And then there is Ragnar's wife, Lagertha, who is the biggest badass ruler and shield maiden on tv.  My idol.  The show is worth a look if you enjoy well written historical dramas with interesting characters and some superb acting.  I was hooked from the opening credits.

*Quasi historical in that not much is known about Ragnar himself, but his sons are well documented. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

In no particular order.

The Wire  *

Twilight Zone

The 1st 48

City Confidential

Anne of Green Gables

A Different World

Living Single

* I use approximately 40gbs of data per month because I binge watch The Wire on a continuous loop on  my cell phone. Kiss my ass Verizon!  They'll have to pry my grandfathered unlimited plan from my cold dead hands.

• Love 3

City Confidential was my introduction to true crime shows. I loved Paul Winfield's voice and the background they gave of the cities before discussing the crime. It was a great show and I was sorry to see it cancelled. Maybe someone will revive it now that Cold Case Files is getting a reboot.

Here's my list:

Poirot, Miss Marple, Lost, The Wire, Penny Dreadful, Quantum Leap, Golden Girls, Midsomer Murders, I'll Fly Away, Space: Above and Beyond, Game of Thrones, I Love Lucy, The Walking Dead, and Bates Motel.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2017 at 1:36 AM, Haleth said:

It's a quasi-historical* depiction of the life of Ragnar Lothbrok and his family in 9thc Scandinavia.  He is an amazing character whose actions are propelled more from intellectual curiosity than a search for wealth.  Yes, he is typical in wanting adventure and gold, but he seeks to understand his enemy, something none of his contemporaries get.  Ragnar is played by Travis Fimmel who gives an outstanding performance with his body language and expressions that convey more than his words.  He gets better and better with each season.  The show does have a lot of graphic violence as can be expected from a culture that glorifies the warrior, but it is all in service to the story.  (If you don't mind the violence of GoT, you wouldn't mind it here.)  And then there is Ragnar's wife, Lagertha, who is the biggest badass ruler and shield maiden on tv.  My idol.  The show is worth a look if you enjoy well written historical dramas with interesting characters and some superb acting.  I was hooked from the opening credits.

*Quasi historical in that not much is known about Ragnar himself, but his sons are well documented. 

Thank you!