Type keyword(s) to search

Brad Pitt is Always Eating: Things Actors Do In Almost Every Movie

• Start Topic

Kevin Costner likes to be in big moments of American history. In his latest movie, he's hunting down Bonny and Clyde. Previously he instigated the Hatfield & McCoy feud, investigated JFK's death, went through the shootout at the OK Corral, took down Al Capone, was critical in the Space Race, and so on. You could even argue that being Superman's adopted father counts. Even if you don't know the details of the events, you've heard of the events themselves.

You know how there's apparently such a thing as the Great American Novel? I wonder if he sees himself as a kind of Great American Actor, or if it's all ego? I dunno. It might all be coincidence. 🙂 But it's a pattern.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

Kevin Costner likes to be in big moments of American history. In his latest movie, he's hunting down Bonny and Clyde. Previously he instigated the Hatfield & McCoy feud, investigated JFK's death, went through the shootout at the OK Corral, took down Al Capone, was critical in the Space Race, and so on. You could even argue that being Superman's adopted father counts. Even if you don't know the details of the events, you've heard of the events themselves.

You know how there's apparently such a thing as the Great American Novel? I wonder if he sees himself as a kind of Great American Actor, or if it's all ego? I dunno. It might all be coincidence. 🙂 But it's a pattern.

He's also done a shit ton of Westerns. Dances with Wolves, the Hatfields vs McCoys (well, definitely a frontier thing), Open Range, The Postmen (post-apocalyptic Western), and Wyatt Earp. I guess his tv series Yellowstone is a modern Western?

I'm kind of shocked he didn't do The Patriot. That role seems like it would have been tailormade for him over Mel Gibson.

There's also a sports theme in a lot of his movies- Field of Dreams, Tin Cup, For the Love of the Game, Bull Durham, McFarland USA, and Draft Day.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

He's also done a shit ton of Westerns. Dances with Wolves, the Hatfields vs McCoys (well, definitely a frontier thing), Open Range, The Postmen (post-apocalyptic Western), and Wyatt Earp. I guess his tv series Yellowstone is a modern Western?

Don't forget my favorite Western -- Silverado!  Of course that was before Costner got all sanctimonious and still looked like he was having fun.

• Love 5
On 3/4/2019 at 10:20 PM, GreekGeek said:

Kate Winslet is in an unhappy marriage--Wonder Wheel, Revolutionary Road, Little Children.

Huh. I'd never noticed that before, but you’re right. You could throw in unhappy engagements, too. Titanic and even the recent 'The Mountain Between Us.' In the latter, she didn't seem terribly unhappy with her fiance, but she was traveling internationally the week before her wedding just for fun, and she was checking out Idris Elba from the very beginning.

• Love 3
(edited)

Charlize Theron takes a lot of baths: in Atomic Blonde, Snow White and the Huntsman, Sweet November, and a few more movies I can't recall right how. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/15/2019 at 3:49 PM, topanga said:

Charlize Theron takes a lot of baths: in Atomic Blonde, Snow White and the Huntsman, Sweet November, and a few more movies I can't recall right how. 

She should get with Jake Gyllenhaal and do a movie where she takes a bath intercut with him crying in a shower.

Bryce Dallas Howard plays a frosty bitch. Which is kind of funny, because her big break came with her playing the sweet ingenue in The Village, but her real talent is in playing frosty bitches that often have a veneer of niceness. I thought her Black Mirror episode really captured the best of what she's capable of.

Kind of similar to Emma Roberts, who also got the initial sweetheart push in her early projects but her real talent is in playing bitchy characters, although hers are usually more campy than what BDH does.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Keanu Reeves will forever be associated with the cyberpunk genre. First he was in Johnny Mnemonic. Then the Matrix trilogy. Now, an upcoming game called Cyberpunk 2077. And he's played a lot of characters named John. I think nine different characters, though John Wick is three movies and Cyberpunk is a game.

• Love 1

I played bar trivia the other night and one of the categories was "Owen Wilson saying "Wow" in all his movies" - they played a clip of dialogue with Owen Wilson saying "Wow" and we had to guess the movie. I missed every one, but it gave me an entry for this thread - so I'm a WINNER!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
(edited)

Tom Hanks always winds up screaming at some point. Don't believe me?

"YOU -- ARE -- A -- TOOOOOOY!"

"WIIIIIIILSOOOOON!"

"THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!"

"SHUT UP!" (Turner and Hooch)

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 6/25/2019 at 5:01 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Tom Hanks always winds up screaming at some point. Don't believe me?

"YOU -- ARE -- A -- TOOOOOOY!"

"WIIIIIIILSOOOOON!"

"THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!"

"SHUT UP!" (Turner and Hooch)

Jennnyyy!!!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Ha. She played his daughter in The Bonfire of the Vanities.

It's really kind of sad to think that it would be totally par for the course to have them play husband and wife and nobody would bat an eye despite her 26 years younger than him. Hell, there's a chance she'd get shot down by casting directors for being too old.

To be fair to Tom Hanks, he doesn't cast himself regularly against women young enough to be his daughter. That's more a Tom Cruise thing.

Edited to add:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe remake starring Kirsten Dunst and Tom Hanks? That could be interesting.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

Variety's review of Kirsten Dunst's new show mentions her penchant for screaming:

Variety Review

"There’s something uniquely satisfying about watching Kirsten Dunst snarl. Dunst and her on-screen personae appear to relish the opportunity to take advantage of people’s tendency to underestimate them; when a Dunst character taps into her latent anger, the actor brings it to the boiling surface with startling ferocity. Her otherwise cherubic face breaks into a downright ugly fury that’s as shocking to witness as it is vicariously cathartic. It’s a powerful weapon when deployed right — and Dunst has hardly had a firmer grasp on it than she does in “On Becoming a God in Central Florida” (for which she also serves as executive producer)."

Again, I am kind of surprised that David O'Russell never snapped her up for a project because he loves screaming characters.

• LOL 1

This isn't a specific behavior as much as it is an actor's look and acting choices:

I was watching The Shining last night with my 15-year-old son, and after seeing Jack Nicholson lose his mind and get all psychotic and goofy, my son goes, "He should play the Joker. He would make a really good Joker." 

He'd never seen the Tim Burton Batman movies, so we had a big laugh after I told him about them. 

But it struck me how much of Nicholson's later performances have been variations of crazy Jack Torrance: Joker, Melvin (As Good As It Gets), Mob Guy in The Departed, and even Col. Jessep (A Few Good Men). 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

He's had a relatively short career, but Harris Dickinson has managed to be at least shirtless (if not fully or semi-nude) in Beach Rats, Post Cards from London, Trust, and the upcoming Kingsmen prequel, King's Man. (He's shirtless for some kind of training session in the trailer.) I don't think he got shirtless in the Darkest Minds, but given that it was a sexless YA dystopian movie, that's not too surprising.

It's kind of funny. Kind of reminds me of Jake Gyllenhaal's penchant for taking showers. I mean, hey, if you got it, flaunt it, right?

Edited by methodwriter85

Jason Momoa and the sea. I'm not familiar with his whole fimography, but here's some highlights. Baywatch. North Shore, set in Hawaii. Stargate Atlantis. Once Upon a Time in Venice, set around Venice Beach. And of course, Aquaman. It's a real theme.

I remember a podcast fancasting the Silmarillion, where he was suggested for Ulmo, the Posiedon figure. Then the hosts discovered that yes, he was going to be Aquaman. Just perfect. 🙂

Does anybody else here watch the CBS comedy The Unicorn? Last week's episode made me think of this topic. The main character was on a date at the movies. His date mentioned that Saoirse Ronan loses her virginity in all her movies.

I haven't watched a lot of her movies, so I don't know if it's true. The only Saoirse Ronan movie I remember watching is Hanna and that was so long ago that I don't remember if she lost her virginity in that movie.

She did lose her virginity in Lady Bird and Brooklyn. Can't think of a third movie this happened in, but I haven't really followed her career that closely.

Shailene Woodley did manage to have sex as a teenage character in The Spectacular Now, The Bird in the Blizzard, The Fault in Our Stars, and Divergent 2.

Edited by methodwriter85
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

She did lose her virginity in Lady Bird and Brooklyn. Can't think of a third movie this happened in, but I haven't really followed her career that closely.

The movie doesn't make it explicitly clear that Mary Queen of Scots was a virgin when she married Lord Darnley, but the historical evidence supports it.  Her first husband Frances II of France was never known for his health and died when he was 16.  The movie does have her soon-to-be second husband give her what appeared her first orgasm though.  

And then you have On Chesil Beach which I haven't seen, but the synopsis does indicate her character losing her virginity or at least an attempt and the aftermath.

38 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And then you have On Chesil Beach which I haven't seen, but the synopsis does indicate her character losing her virginity or at least an attempt and the aftermath.

I didn't know they made a movie. I read the book though, and yeah that's what it's about. Reading this topic also had me realizing that I don't think I've seen anything Saoirse Ronan has been in. 

Edward Norton is almost always plays an asshole, a douchebag, or a garden-variety loser. Rounders, The Sting, Primal Fear, and Fight Club to some extent. I can't remember if his character in The Italian Job was competent and/or a not an asshole. I know he played a superhero in The Incredible Hulk, but I never saw that one. 

On 4/5/2016 at 3:46 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm also a fan of Sandra Bullock, but I'm going to look for evidence that she eats like a pig in all of her movies - for sure in Two Weeks Notice, maybe also All About Steve, Miss Congeniality, The Heat?  Wondering if anyone else knows better than I do. 

Quoting myself from almost 6 years ago.  She orders a pizza at the beginning of "The Net"!  She says no to a date just to go home and order a pizza.  She's so Quarantine Life before it was a thing!

I said back then that Mark Ruffalo was super secure playing second fiddle to bigger female stars - which was definitely almost his ENTIRE career before Marvel - but so does Luke Wilson.  Legally Blonde franchise, Charlie's Angels franchise, the movies he did with Drew Barrymore, "My Super Ex Girlfriend", "The Royal Tenenbaums", "The Family Stone".   And I also think it's cool he did "Blue Streak" because Martin Lawrence was DEFINITELY the star of that movie. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Quoting myself from almost 6 years ago.  She orders a pizza at the beginning of "The Net"!  She says no to a date just to go home and order a pizza.  She's so Quarantine Life before it was a thing!

The pizza eating scene in Miss Congeniality was awesome. That place looked so cool.

• Love 3

I just saw The Lost City and had to laugh because not only was Brad Pitt eating when we first meet his character,  but when we heard him on the phone, you could tell that he was eating then as well. 

• LOL 8
41 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I just saw The Lost City and had to laugh because not only was Brad Pitt eating when we first meet his character,  but when we heard him on the phone, you could tell that he was eating then as well. 

He even eats in Moneyball!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3