Type keyword(s) to search

Mr. Carter: The Secret Future Husband

I'm so glad to see I'm not alone in my want. 

I had this fleeting thought back in CA:TFA, so if you're wrong so am I :)

Was it the airplane fondue scene? For me it was the airplane fondue scene.  

• Love 2

Hey, good girls have flings too.  That's as far as I could see Peggy/Howard getting, but (IMHO) in CA:TFA they did have the chemistry for at least that much.

And yes, it was totally the fondue scene!  Actually just the whole vibe during the airplane scene.

• Love 2

I don't think Peggy in her normal state would ever have a fling with Howard, but I could probably imagine her throwing caution to the wind in some circumstances or if/after she develops into a more easygoing person (I don't think she's naturally as guarded - Steve's death hit her hard). They kinda-sorta remind me of early Tony/Pepper, dynamic-wise - an exasperated "straight girl" and a flirty guy whose mess she has to clean up.

• Love 1
I went out and bought the Captain America: The First Avenger because of this show. I wanted to see Peggy Carter in action again.

Hey - that would be a great advertising promotion - "The First Avenger - prequel to the renowned Agent Carter" LOL

Edited by bagert
  • Love 9

An article at EW.com put forth the idea of Thompson/Peggy, which...might make me squirm a bit. Thompson hasn't done anything particularly horrible other than be a douche, but I just can't get over The Chad. I keep having bad One Tree Hill flashbacks.

Not fond of the idea of Jarvis/Peggy, particularly after the way he spoke about his wife in yesterday's ep.

I haven't posted on this thread before and haven't read all 192 posts, but after catching up on the last episode, I definitely see Thompson as in the running to be Mr. Agent Carter. I never watched more than a few half-episodes of One Tree Hill, so I don't see him as that show's character. I thought his comments about women in this last episode were more about opening a dialogue with Peggy over the way things are versus the way they should be for a woman like Peggy.

I thought his comments about women in this last episode were more about opening a dialogue with Peggy over the way things are versus the way they should be for a woman like Peggy.

I took it more like that, too.

I was predisposed to hate Thompson because ew CMM, but I actually don't hate him. I'm not completely turned off by the idea of him being the future Mr. Carter, if only because I basically ship Peggy with anyone she comes in contact with, but he'd be like my last choice of all the possibilities so far.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

I have no pre-existing CMM trauma beyond vaguely knowing he was part of a show I never watched, but I'm one of the people who wouldn't be put off by him ultimately being the love interest. I don't see it as "jerk tamed by love" but instead, "I was wrong and it's glorious." I think part of it is the fact that he's the one of the guys who seems the most competent at his job, and I think his drunken discussion with Peggy about feminism hints at something potentially deep and interesting, not that he's just another sexist douchebag who was trying to put her in her place.

Edited by GinevradiBenci
  • Love 4

Never seen the Thompson actor before except for his role in "House of Wax".   He's a jerk but I'm beginning to think he will fit more and more into Peggy's story.   Just checking the actor's twitter.   Now he could just be playing with fans but the way the behind the scenes creators have continuously pushed his character as an option in interviews makes me think the guy is/will be a genuine contender.    Again I'm not expecting anything overt, but I do think when this series concludes we will be given clear signs of where things are going.   

I do genuinely like Sousa (and on a superficial level I actually find him more appealing physically) BUT I think there is more story potential or maybe more potential for interesting interaction between Peggy and Thompson, both come off as leaders, both are very effective in different ways.  

I think Peggy is a wonderfully nuanced character, smart, capable, inventive (posing as a Milk Inspector) but she's also arrogant, stubborn and at times she seems very internalized (which can be a good or bad thing), though to be fair she seems to be coming out of that last one.   I just think there is room for growth on Peggy's part too and there should be, that's what makes great characters IMO.

The way the writers have written the characters thus far though, I'm pretty sure I'll be ok with whomever they decide to hint at as, Peggy's future Husband.   Like everyone else I think there is more under the hood with Thompson and as of now I really like Sousa.  I have faith in these writers.

• Love 2

I hope not. I'm getting tired of triangles. And not even for in show reasons, but because of what it leads to in fandom.

Advance35, your post almost made me actively ship Peggy/Thompson! Great insights. I wish a different actor was playing Thompson though because that's really the only problem I have with the possibility of Peggy/Thompson. But maybe Hayley will elevate CMM!

Somewhat unrelated, but do we know Thompson's first name? I can't remember it, but I'm sure it's been mentioned.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

It's Jack Thompson.

In the pilot, it was stated that Thompson fought in Okinawa (which he acknowledged).  For him to be rescued in that siege in Europe, he would have had to be transferred from there to the Pacific before the Battle of Okinawa (April-June 1945).  How possible would that have been?

It's Jack Thompson.

In the pilot, it was stated that Thompson fought in Okinawa (which he acknowledged).  For him to be rescued in that siege in Europe, he would have had to be transferred from there to the Pacific before the Battle of Okinawa (April-June 1945).  How possible would that have been?

Not very possible. If he was a marine, then it wouldn't be possible at all, because the US Marine Corps didn't fight in Europe. If he was US Army, it still seems very unlikely that he would have been transferred from whatever unit he was in to a unit on the other side of the world. But do the writers of the show know that? I guess that's the question.

...In the pilot, it was stated that Thompson fought in Okinawa (which he acknowledged).  For him to be rescued in that siege in Europe, he would have had to be transferred from there to the Pacific before the Battle of Okinawa (April-June 1945).  How possible would that have been?

Not very possible. If he was a marine, then it wouldn't be possible at all, because the US Marine Corps didn't fight in Europe. If he was US Army, it still seems very unlikely that he would have been transferred from whatever unit he was in to a unit on the other side of the world. But do the writers of the show know that? I guess that's the question.

I seem to recall hearing of some who did, but for now there's this: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-189133.html

I hope that, if we learn the identity of Peggy's husband, it comes in the form of a brief but obvious introduction at the end of the series.  I'd be ok with it being Thompson were he played by any other actor but I cannot support the idea of awesome Peggy Carter marrying a character played by that colossal douchebag.  His douchery works for Thompson, who abuses his authority with suspects and tells Peggy to take the lunch orders rather than offering her something useful to do, but I'll never see the character as good enough for Peggy.

While watching Captain America TWS... I had a thought... do we know for sure Peggy only had one husband?  Though she only refers to her "husband" there, if she had more than one it could open the field for her husbands.

• Love 1

“I’d like to see, also, a love interest perhaps. Maybe she gets the chance to move on from Cap.” It would be hard to find a man to match up to someone who is literally the embodiment of American ideals, so Atwell is already thinking outside the box. “Maybe it would have to be a woman!”

That's a quote from this interview and is a response to the question of what she'd like to see in (a possible) season two, which suggests that they're not going to give her a love interest this season. I'm good with that; I think it's too soon for her to move on at all, and it's much too soon to reveal her future husband.

• Love 2

Hopefully, they saw Band of Brothers and / or The Pacific

Upon re-watch of the first 4 episodes, I gotta say guys...it really looks like Thompson is the guy. I think tonight's episode will support that idea further. It's just the more interesting way to go, and it feels like that's where the writers are taking it... If done correctly, I'm sold. I know that's a big point of contention around here though.

Starting to think Sousa's a monster. Sousa is way too obvious a choice for a husband, I'm thinking maybe that peg leg is fake, and he's been onto Peggy's double agent status for a while. Someone is Hydra or Leviathan related in that office and it's not Thompson (why paint him as an adversary from the beginning only to have the big reveal be that he's...an adversary...as told to us from scene 1...we got it.) Sousa makes more sense. I would personally be bored if it turned out that Sousa was as flat a character as he seems. I know Enver is a good actor...they just haven't given him a lot of work with in this role.

Edited by PalmettoExpat
  • Love 3

I'm down for Sousa as a mole. I like these storylines, can't help myself. Plus, it would give Gjokai some great material, which he deserves. However, I do think it's a bit early to conclusively say Sousa's flat - he was given something in the latest episode - but a bad guy is a much more exciting idea.

I also won't mind if Thompson develops into a friend (if not more) for Peggy, but then I generally dig antagonistic dynamic and don't mind characters acting like jerks to each other initially. Hell, Logan/Veronica Mars is one of my all-time OTPs.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

Upon re-watch of the first 4 episodes, I gotta say guys...it really looks like Thompson is the guy. I think tonight's episode will support that idea further. It's just the more interesting way to go, and it feels like that's where the writers are taking it... If done correctly, I'm sold. I know that's a big point of contention around here though.

Starting to think Sousa's a monster. Sousa is way too obvious a choice for a husband, I'm thinking maybe that peg leg is fake, and he's been onto Peggy's double agent status for a while. Someone is Hydra or Leviathan related in that office and it's not Thompson (why paint him as an adversary from the beginning only to have the big reveal be that he's...an adversary...as told to us from scene 1...we got it.) Sousa makes more sense. I would personally be bored if it turned out that Sousa was as flat a character as he seems. I know Enver is a good actor...they just haven't given him a lot of work with in this role.

This is where I am regarding Sousa. It just seems a waste to have the absurdly nice guy be... a nice guy. Better to have a shock for the audience. And I can't shake the feeling that he's going to cast that crutch aside at some point, revealing he didn't lose his leg at all. If no one in the office is Leviathan, then it kind of undermines the whole 'they infiltrated SHIELD from the start' vibe that I got from Cap 2. And it can't be Thompson because people already think he's a jerk so why bother. I'd be surprised if it was Dooley, because he seems so stoic and curmudgeonly, and I think we've seen enough of his POV to believe he's what he says he is.

So that only leaves Sousa. I understand Enver Gjokaj is a better actor than this vanilla part they've given him, so I'm interested to see if that turns out to be true.

I don't quite buy Thompson as Mr. Carter, for reasons already expressed, but I could see them finding real respect for one another, over the course of the latter half of the season. I don't have the hatred of the actor that many seem to, so I don't mind if he turns out to be more sympathetic than originally painted.

But we haven't created shield yet, so hydra doesn't have to be one of three people we know in ssr.

But then, I don't think there is anything boring about a decent war vet. You don't have to be an asshole to be interesting. I am kind of over moles everywhere too. I love Sousa, but I liked the layering with Thompson too. You are never going to see me ship Thompson Peggy though!

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 2

But we haven't created shield yet, so hydra doesn't have to be one of three people we know in ssr.

But then, I don't think there is anything boring about a decent war vet. You don't have to be an asshole to be interesting. I am kind of over moles everywhere too. I love Sousa, but I liked the layering with Thompson too. You are never going to see me ship Thompson Peggy though!

I don't think anyone is saying you have to be an asshole to be interesting. But if you've got a character who is nice and toothless and there are no surprises other than what sort of woobie angst he's hiding, then I think it makes for dull viewing. Especially on a TV show where the limited run should mean that all the characters who appear should matter in some way.

Right now, Sousa is one of three 'cop' characters who are crossing paths with Peggy and investigating at cross-purposes with her. And like I said, in a show like this, three characters doing the same thing is wasteful. If Thompson proves to be more of an ally for Peggy than first suspected, then Sousa becomes even more superfluous.

Edited by Danny Franks

I don't know where they're going with Sousa - antagonist is an interesting choice, but they could also do something with the "desire to prove oneself" theme that they've had working with both him and Peggy. If he believes he's found a traitor in the ranks, he might not stop to listen to her explanations if he things bringing her in will get him more respect. I don't see it going that way, but it could be interesting.

I...kinda shouldn't have gone on the Agent Carter Tumblr tag because they really, really hate Thompson there. I can't see how writing him off as a sexist, ableist jerk who doesn't deserve any screentime does the story that's unfolding any good. He's been more than that from the start and whether or not he's Mr. Peggy, his character is being handled pretty well and adds some shading and dimension.

I think it'll be hard for me to see Peggy with anyone for a while longer. Although I might be good with pairing her up with Dum-Dum Doogan!

• Love 2

My only issue with the concept of Sousa ending up going evil is that Agents of Shield already did something similar. So I'm a bit dubious. 

And I'm guessing that this season will end with teasing Thompson, Sousa, Jarvis, Dum-Dum, Angie, a couple of random extras and Harry Truman as potential Mr. Carters.

• Love 1

Tonight we were reminded that Thompson was in the Pacific, so he can't be the husband. I also don't think it will be Sousa. She may end up getting the respect she wants and Thompson and Sousa could both end up as solid allies or even friends. That would honestly be the more interesting story for me so I hope it goes that way.

Aside from the Pacific tour, I wouldn't want it to be Thompson because that would be rewarding his sexism and ableism and Peggy deserves someone who kind and good at his core. I think she knows this too which is why she's still mourning the loss of Steve and hasn't looked at another man since he went into the water.

• Love 4

I...kinda shouldn't have gone on the Agent Carter Tumblr tag because they really, really hate Thompson there. I can't see how writing him off as a sexist, ableist jerk who doesn't deserve any screentime does the story that's unfolding any good. He's been more than that from the start and whether or not he's Mr. Peggy, his character is being handled pretty well and adds some shading and dimension.

I like the depth they gave Thompson, but to me he's still a classic example of someone who pushes other people down to bolster his own sense of masculinity.  The show's provided a backstory that makes it believable and keeps him from being a one-dimensional Snidely Whiplash about it, which is good.  I've warmed to his character, and I've stopped wishing active harm on him, but I have to admit I don't really feel the need to get to know him better beyond this point. 

Incidentally, this where I do not see Thompson and Sousa as rendering each other "superfluous."  They are foils to each other.  Thompson puts on a show of alpha-maleness because deep down, he knows he's not.  Meanwhile, Sousa appears outwardly meek and nonthreatening, but underneath that he's the stronger person, in the sense that he seems to know himself and doesn't feel the need to bluster in order to prove himself. 

• Love 6

I like the depth they gave Thompson but it doesn't make him a better person. I thought Peggy actually looked rather horrified at the idea that he shot a bunch of people who were surrendering and burried the flag. I was too.

But he admitted it and now he's trying to make amends a little bit by including Peggy.

Also totally called it on Sousa although it was pretty telegraphed. Next week should be fun.

Incidentally, this where I do not see Thompson and Sousa as rendering each other "superfluous." They are foils to each other. Thompson puts on a show of alpha-maleness because deep down, he knows he's not. Meanwhile, Sousa appears outwardly meek and nonthreatening, but underneath that he's the stronger person, in the sense that he seems to know himself and doesn't feel the need to bluster in order to prove himself.

Well put. Edited by Shanna
  • Love 3

Okay, so whiny Thompson is now off my potential Mr. Carter list.

...I think it'll be hard for me to see Peggy with anyone for a while longer. Although I might be good with pairing her up with Dum-Dum Doogan!

He'll always be Tin Man to me, but yeah, I could see at least a fling between them.

Theory: Ana Jarvis dies in some sad way. Jarvis and Peggy both relate to one another over the loss of losing true love prematurely. Jarvis was the guy all along.

I'm not wishing the death of a this woman by any means, but I'm thinking it's a likely scenario.

• Love 2

I think its an intriguing side-question. I'm OK with the show playing with it as a way of further complicating some of the lead characters for depth. I like that the show is pretty focused on Peggy as being all about her work and still in mourning, but if they keep making more of these mini-series ( and oh I hope they do!) then maybe it will just be a bit of a teasing through-line. 

I am really enjoying The Chad in this role and until last night's episode I hadn't really seen him as a contender for Peggy's heart. But now...somewhere down the road...maybe? Neither of them is ready and he's definitely got more baking to do. I dont want to see an icky triangle but I like the idea of giving him and Sousa more depth as this story keeps going. 

• Love 2

It's Jack Thompson.

Well as a Lt JG he was Navy and that makes it more possible then being a soldier.Being in any kind of shore party from underwater demolitions teams, the SEALs of that era to any kind of support be it forward observer be it a beach master on shore, After Normandy suddenly was faced with a long land war and a continuing need for their specialized and tested skills in the Pacific. At least two teams transferred over after Normandy. A pilot who served an early combat tour went into instruction and then came back for a later combat tour may have also been transferred to another theatre. A siege, depends upon where. Something like the Dieppe Raid or in North Africa or Italy makes it more possible then being after Normandy getting in a siege and then transferring theatres.

I would prefer she goes for the perfect house husband. Some one who would be totally content taking the traditional female role keeping the house and indulging in his hobbies and being the safe harbor for Peggy to relax with when she finds the time. Maybe even a male Jarvis wife who we never even see on screen. Thus Director Carter can be kick ass and we don't have to deal with the romance drama at all. 

• Love 5

I'm on board with those who think we haven't met the husband yet. I'm not even sure if I ever want to meet him (maybe only in hints, but not as a major character). Thompson I could see turning into a valued ally for Peggy, and possibly having some unrequited attraction (I've only ever known The Chad from Gilmore Girls, so he's forever Tristan), but I don't see Peggy ever falling for him.

I haven't really seen the guy playing Sousa in anything else (tried watched Dollhouse, but never got into it), so I don't have any preformed love for the guy, but I just don't see any chemistry at all between him and Peggy. It would be nice if he does figure out what's she's up to, but comes around to her side. I would like to see he and Thompson being Peggy's "team" in the SSR, along with Dooley's support.

It's nice to watch a show with a female lead and not have it completely be about her love life.

Let's not forget the vial. How can Capt. America save the life of someone she cares about from beyond his icy grave? With a vial of miraculous cure-all blood, of course! So at this point it could be Thompson or anyone else still left.

• Love 1

I think the vial's reserved for either Black Widow or the Winter Soldier, stolen by Dottie and sent to Russia, rather than anyone on this show.  If Thompson, Sousa, or anyone among the cast is given part or all of Cap's blood, the implication is that they'd take on the physical properties that he has and there's no one on the show who is still around in the MCU (unless they decide that Enver's cameo in the Avengers is a retroactive hint about Sousa-which I don't think it is).  Besides, technically, if the vial was used to save one of the cast, it would be Erskine who saved them since it's his formula.

No, I think we're meant to see the "Captain America saved Peggy's husband" thing as exactly that: there was a battle or mission in Europe that Cap was involved in and, among those who were saved by his actions was the man who would one day marry Peggy.  I feel like it cheapens it if it becomes "Cap saved the husband, but in a round about way while he was presumed dead".  At that point, they might as well just say that the picture Peggy has gets used to slit Dottie's (or whoever's) throat in defense of a man and that's how "Cap saved him".

In Captain America: TWS, Peggy said that Steve went behind enemy lines to rescue 400 soldiers, one that would eventually be her husband. So her husband was captured with the Howling Commandos and rescued at the same time as them. 

• Love 5