Type keyword(s) to search

Mr. Carter: The Secret Future Husband

I honestly wish now that they'd cut the line from Cap 2 about her meeting her husband. Because now it hangs over the show like the Sword of Damocles. People talking, theorising, wondering about who the lucky man might be. Rooting for one character over another, sure in the knowledge that she marries someone, and is happy with them.

It puts unnecessary pressure on the show to provide answers, when they'd be better off just showing her getting on with her life, being badass and maybe dating some people. Instead, the first date she goes on, people will be scrutinising every tiny detail, to see if he's the Husband. Or they'll be hating him because it might mean Sousa/Jarvis/Thompson/Angie isn't the husband.

Agreed. I hope the show ends with the identity of Peggy's husband unknown. Who she ends up marrying is like the least interesting thing about Peggy to me! I was interested in this show to see Peggy's post-WWII life and the founding of SHIELD, not because I'm interested in the husband sweepstakes.

Also frankly because the show has done a pretty poor job of throwing potential husband candidates out there. The only guy I could even imagine myself shipping with Peggy would be Jarvis, but it would have to be several years after Anna's death and I LIKE Anna and Anna/Jarvis, so that's a non-starter. It's amazing how, for all the other things it's done right, this show has been so bad about Peggy's love interests.

• Love 5

Agreed. I hope the show ends with the identity of Peggy's husband unknown. Who she ends up marrying is like the least interesting thing about Peggy to me! I was interested in this show to see Peggy's post-WWII life and the founding of SHIELD, not because I'm interested in the husband sweepstakes.

Also frankly because the show has done a pretty poor job of throwing potential husband candidates out there. The only guy I could even imagine myself shipping with Peggy would be Jarvis, but it would have to be several years after Anna's death and I LIKE Anna and Anna/Jarvis, so that's a non-starter. It's amazing how, for all the other things it's done right, this show has been so bad about Peggy's love interests.

I must be a romantic at heart, because I do want (especially if this is the last we'll see of Peggy for the foreseable future) to know the man she'll end up spending her Happily Ever After with. I don't think a romance is the defining feature of a woman's life or any such nonsense, but I like that we got to know (in the movie) that she met someone she would love, would have children with, instead of burying herself in her work and never loving again after Cap. Human beings are remarkably resilient, and our capability to love, even after we have lost so much, is a good story to me. So yeah, I'm a romantic underneath all that post-modern cynicism - shoot me :)

As for her suitors, I actually do like all three (two if you don't count Jarvis, and I think as soon as we met Anna he went out of the race). I'll give Daniel a slight edge, because I love Enver Gjorkaj and because we've known him the longest, but Jason is (and hopefully will stay) a good man, and neither of them will hold back our Peggy. I'm not fond of the whole Violet-Daniel-Peggy triangle, and for some reason I can't really decipher what she's feeling for either men at the moment, which is a problem, but I'm hopeful they'll turn it right before the end. (Or give us another season, please).

• Love 4

Yeah, I wish I could figure out how Peggy actually felt about either one of them or why she would be interested in either one. (I'm not knocking them; it's just that Jarvis was more ... specific ... than she ever was.)  I also don't really like how Daniel so quickly got into engagement territory with Violet and so quickly fell out of it. To be honest, Violet might be better for Daniel than a marriage with Peggy. You love who you love but I suspect that marriage to Peggy would leave Daniel feeling inferior often, while marriage to Violet would more often remind him of his good qualities. (This isn't a criticism of Peggy. It's just that they work in the same field, she is better at it than he is, and he's shown himself to have something of an inferiority complex as a result of his injury.)

• Love 2

Daniel pretty consistently underestimates Peggy (and women) and has a tendency to treat her like she's fragile. For someone like Peggy, that's a recipe for disaster in a LTR.

If we don't know why Peggy would be into either or how she feels about them (a criticism with which I agree), that's a larger writing fail, but not one that inspires confidence in any of the relationships.

• Love 4

Daniel pretty consistently underestimates Peggy (and women) and has a tendency to treat her like she's fragile. For someone like Peggy, that's a recipe for disaster in a LTR.

If we don't know why Peggy would be into either or how she feels about them (a criticism with which I agree), that's a larger writing fail, but not one that inspires confidence in any of the relationships.

I can't agree with that at all - on the contrary I think he even treats her as his boss at times (see episode 8 where he defers to her judgement for what to do with Whitney). He did choose to tell Wilkes where the nuclear thingies were, but I didn't take it to be him underestimating Peggy and her chances to get out of that confrontation, but more like a man who sees the woman loves threatened. And she very much didn't like that, which she told him - and he turned it around and asked her what she would have done, if the gun was focused on his head. And she had no answer. I don't think being fearful for the person you love is the same as treating them as if they're fragile; again, he didn't tell her she couldn't come with them on the mission, he actually let her plan it.

Jason went completely out of the race for me after these episodes; and if we goes by Peggy's subconscious, for her as well. Daniel got an entire Gene Kelly-esque scene (and almost a kiss), while Jason only got half a dance.

• Love 3

I find myself thinking that we will never find out until the final season.  I hear ratings are low, so I fear we will never find out.  If this show gets cancelled, I do hope that they would write in a line on Agents of SHIELD to let us know who it was.

I would be OK with it being anyone but Jason Wilkes.  He has devolved from a likeable man into a gigantic ass.

I can't imagine why the ratings are low. The show's an adventure with charming performances, characters the audience can invest in, snappy dialogue, a great look, and the performers are having a blast! What's not to like?

• Love 5

They did say last year that Jack was in the Pacific, so I think that disqualifies him.  To the best of my knowledge, they have never said where Sousa served.  So, it's kind of for that reason alone, I think it's Sousa.  I can see them throw in that he was among those that Cap rescued in The First Avenger  (I think there were walking wounded.)

Regardless if we get the reveal on this show or not, at some point in one of the movies I want Enver to reprise his cop character and introduce himself to Steve as Peggy's grandson "Daniel Sousa III".

• Love 3

Regardless if we get the reveal on this show or not, at some point in one of the movies I want Enver to reprise his cop character and introduce himself to Steve as Peggy's grandson "Daniel Sousa III".

Would it be so hard to throw that into either Civil War or Infinity Wars? I mean really, a 30- second scene that would mean so much to loyal fans and wouldn't confuse any newcomers or throw the plotline off.

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 2

Would it be so hard to throw that into either Civil War or Infinity Wars? I mean really, a 30- second scene that would mean so much to loyal fans and wouldn't confuse any newcomers or throw the plotline off.

a writer on another board says there are character rights issues. I still don't understand why movie characters can appear on the TV shows but the other way is supposed to cost too much

I am kind of expecting that Peggy will die in either Civil War or Infinity Wars because it could be used to bring factions together at her grave given her connection to S.H.I.E.L.D., Cap, and Jarvis/Howard.  So I think if they ever reveal the husband, that will be when they do it.  I personally don't think it will be any of the TV contenders.

I am kind of expecting that Peggy will die in either Civil War or Infinity Wars because it could be used to bring factions together at her grave given her connection to S.H.I.E.L.D., Cap, and Jarvis/Howard.  So I think if they ever reveal the husband, that will be when they do it.  I personally don't think it will be any of the TV contenders.

I'm fully expecting that too, simply because she was ill in Winter Soldier and can't live forever. I do want it to be a TV contender, Sousa in particular, because at least we know him. Peggy is so fascinating that I want to see who is awesome enough to match her. Having her husband be someone we've never met and never heard of seems like a cop-out.

• Love 3

I may be wrong, but aren't all those characters from the comic books? Because as far as I know, Souza is original, and whatever writer was given credit for inventing his character would have to be paid for his use in the movies.

• Love 2

I'm fully expecting that too, simply because she was ill in Winter Soldier and can't live forever. I do want it to be a TV contender, Sousa in particular, because at least we know him. Peggy is so fascinating that I want to see who is awesome enough to match her. Having her husband be someone we've never met and never heard of seems like a cop-out.

Well, I have ridiculous dreams.  Even though they have movies listed out for like 3-4 years and no mention.  I think it would be fun to have early-S.H.i.E.L.D movies with superheroes in a different era (i.e. the post-WWII Cold War) with Peggy/Howard in the Nick Furry supporting role.  I figure that is a good time for Peggy to meet Mr. Carter.

I just have the problem that although I'd like to know who the husband is, I'm not a fan of Sousa as a candidate.

I may be wrong, but aren't all those characters from the comic books? Because as far as I know, Souza is original, and whatever writer was given credit for inventing his character would have to be paid for his use in the movies.

It can't be that expensive since the comics, movies, and TV series are all under the same parent company.  Plus the movie contracts for actors, etc. from early days had a lot of special clauses that weren't usual that were geared towards building a marvel universe when that was an original concept that hadn't been done before.  I have to imagine the TV contracts are the same just in case they want to cross pollinate in the other direction.

It can't be that expensive since the comics, movies, and TV series are all under the same parent company.  Plus the movie contracts for actors, etc. from early days had a lot of special clauses that weren't usual that were geared towards building a marvel universe when that was an original concept that hadn't been done before.  I have to imagine the TV contracts are the same just in case they want to cross pollinate in the other direction.

I'm slightly annoyed that there seems to be a bit of a snobbish thing going on from the movies toward the tv shows. If Marvel (and Disney) really is serious about their expanded (joined?) universe, what happens in the tv shows like SHIELD and Daredevil ought to have at least a minimum of effect on the movies - not just the other way around. We ought to have seen Coulson on Avengers II (even if the characters themselves didn't see him) - and I want whatever happens to Peggy in the mvies to reflect what has happened in the show.

• Love 2

I'm slightly annoyed that there seems to be a bit of a snobbish thing going on from the movies toward the tv shows. If Marvel (and Disney) really is serious about their expanded (joined?) universe, what happens in the tv shows like SHIELD and Daredevil ought to have at least a minimum of effect on the movies - not just the other way around. We ought to have seen Coulson on Avengers II (even if the characters themselves didn't see him) - and I want whatever happens to Peggy in the mvies to reflect what has happened in the show.

Not so much as seen Director Coulson but in advertising that It's All Connected the major miss in the MCU was the opening of Age Of Ultron were we are told the Avengers have been running around taking down Hydra bases directlty contradiction what we saw on Agents of SHIELD there was a secret war with Hunter pulling off an assassination and finally  sacrificing the Bus then Coulson called Maria Hill to assemble The Avengers.

The overwhelming prejudice is that someone who sat through two after credit scenes per movie would be confused. If they were that far in then they knew what was going on in the TV shows, if they were not then they just didn't care and Coulson or any post  The Winter Soldier of SHIELD appearance would not be confusing.

As for Agent Carter what happens in The First Avenger is about all that will directly affect her show but because of her historical status her episodes could mess with future plans and we may have a repeat of Age Of Ultron where Joss Whedon as THE DIRECTOR ignored the previous established canon to tell his story.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Is there anything more to the fact that the late Antoine Triplett on Agents of SHIELD was the grandson of a Howling Commando?  Everyone assumed Gabe Jones, since Jones is black.  And since in comics canon, Peggy married Gabe Jones, that led many to believe Tripp was Peggy's grandson.  

Then again, 1) Tripp's Howling Commando grandfather could be white, and a son/daughter of that grandfather married a black woman/man and produced Tripp.  Or 2) MCU doesn't follow comics canon, as evidenced by Bobbi Morse not being Mockingbird and not having Bobbi's comics origin story, and Hawkeye being married with a kid and living in Iowa.

So I think that gets us pretty much to nowhere, exactly back where we started.

I agree that S2 has done Sousa absolutely no favors, but I've also never been particularly impressed with Enver Gjokaj in the role. I don't think he's ever quite settled into it and made it spark. And imo he has very little chemistry with Atwell, which doesn't help matters any.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

Violet was a missteap (well, Sarah Bolger is never a mistake casting wise), but for these last few episodes I've really enjoyed Sousa and Peggy. But it just goes to show how subjective this is; I really enjoy the actor and not just for those pretty eyes, and I think he and Atwell play off each other very well :)

• Love 5

Can't please everyone. 

I really like the fact that Sousa is the future "Mr. Carter."  His relationship with Violet didn't bother me, nor did it's ending the way it did.  

My biggest concern with regards to Sousa was that he might be a doormat for Peggy but I think this season showed that while he loves/respects her, he will also speak his mind if he thinks she's wrong.

I really enjoy the actor and not just for those pretty eyes, and I think he and Atwell play off each other very well :)

I agree.  I think the two were awesome together and they give off a very romantic vibe for me.  The kind of romantic vibe I see in a lot of older movies.   But I also detected a romantic interest in Peggy from Thompson while many others just saw seething jealousy on his part.  Shrug.

• Love 5

Peggy and Daniel have had such a good dynamic and chemistry since season 1, so I'm really glad they went for the pairing because it works well. Daniel respects and understans Peggy, but he is also capable of keeping her on her toes and tell her when she is wrong. He doesn't just follow her like a puppy, which would have been a shame. He is a man of honor and good heart, and seems the right partner for the a life of adventures Peggy likes. There aren't many men like Daniel Sousa in the'40's, there are more Jack Thompsons infortunately. 

I thought it was quite telling that they made Daniel say he was wounded in Bastogne. It's the only battle that fits the description Peggy gave in the CATWS movie. Wheter he doesn't know he was saved by CA or he doesn't dare telling Peggy because he knows how much Steve's loss hurts her, it would be something I'd like to know in S3. 

I think the theme of season 2 is Peggy learning to trust people and let them help her, and in a way  this means also that she is letting herself enjoy also romance. 

• Love 5

I thought it was quite telling that they made Daniel say he was wounded in Bastogne. It's the only battle that fits the description Peggy gave in the CATWS movie. Wheter he doesn't know he was saved by CA or he doesn't dare telling Peggy because he knows how much Steve's loss hurts her, it would be something I'd like to know in S3. 

My MCU history is lacking here.. Before I pull out the DVD what was she saying in The Winter Soldier?

• Love 1
(edited)

My MCU history is lacking here.. Before I pull out the DVD what was she saying in The Winter Soldier?

It's when Steve visits the museum and sees the video of Peggy talking about him. (And now I actually have Steggy feelings, sob). It's just my shipper speculation! ;-) I like to think that Captain Rogers helped the saving the 101st Airborne in the Bastogne Siege.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce3JYmay_nM 

Edited by Anthea
  • Love 2