Type keyword(s) to search

Mr. Carter: The Secret Future Husband

I would too, although Gabe Jones is still my first choice.

That would mean that Trip held the bigger secret about Director Carter so he would not be seen as an even more special legacy snowflake SHIELD recruit then agent. Of course that is with the popular theory that Jones is the grandfather. But then with the lack of race in the MCU any Commando or their child  could have been with a Black person.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
In Captain America: TWS, Peggy said that Steve went behind enemy lines to rescue 400 soldiers, one that would eventually be her husband. So her husband was captured with the Howling Commandos and rescued at the same time as them.

Oh, please let it be Falsworth.  I love his voice.  "Mind the gap!"

It can't be Dugan because in CA:TWS, Peggy says she didn't know her husband had been saved by Steve until after "knowing him for some time" (or maybe she said "dating him for some time.") At any rate, Peggy knows all of the Commandos that Steve saved in the instance her husband was saved, so it can't be him (or likely Gabe either).

After last night's episode I'm holding out for Peggy and Angie. Sure, Angie doesn't fit anything that we've been told about the future Mr. Carter, but let's not quibble over tiny little details.

• Love 5

Until the show tells me otherwise I'm inclined to think the future Mr. Carter is an offscreen character. Someone we haven't seen and probably won't get to meet in this limited run. Because he isn't particularly relevant to the narrative. Peggy isn't in the mindset to even be looking right now anyway. Once things settle down and she is helping build SHIELD maybe she has a chance to catch her breath, have a heart to heart talk with so and so, find out he reveres Steve as much as she does, and things progress from there.

• Love 2

Ideally, the future Mr. Carter should be a character we haven't seen at this stage of the game. But I just love the chemistry between HA and EG that I can't help but ship Carter & Sousa.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 3

I get that this makes me a bad person and that I said I wasn't before but...now I'm really rooting for the death of Anna Jarvis.

All the reasons that the husband can't be Thompson apply to Jarvis as well. Jarvis didn't fight in the war at all, having been discharged for abusing his position to get Anna out of Hungary.

And that would really be the most unequal, weird relationship ever. Peggy is like a bossy older sister to him, at the best of times.

• Love 4

And that would really be the most unequal, weird relationship ever. Peggy is like a bossy older sister to him, at the best of times.

Personally for me (and probably PalmettoExpat and the others here who've expressed a hope that Jarvis could be the husband) it doesn't come off that way at all.

That scene where he was cleaning her cut, WOWZA!

But, if they are going to follow the canon from TWS, which I imagine they will, we most likely haven't met Peggy's husband yet. Sousa is the only one it could still conceivably be, I think

Edited by peachmangosteen

Plenty of men are the beta in a relationship with a female. I imagine if the roles were reversed no one would have a problem imagining a relationship between Peggy the housekeeper and Jarvis the super secret agent. I would actually find it refreshing for TV to show a relationship like that. Normally if you get the alpha female with a beta male it is where the female manipulates the male into believing he's in charge while she works behind his back to fix his dumb actions. Jarvis and Peggy each have their strengths and weaknesses. They compliment each other nicely if not in the most predictable way.

That being said, I have no opinion on who Mr. Carter should be other than not Thompson.

Rewatched the Avengers this weekend and the actor that plays Sousa plays a young cop in the battle of New York scene with Captain America. Anyone cheering for Sousa as the husband could make a nice AU out of Peggy and Daniel's grandson growing up to work for the NYPD and helping during the battle.

• Love 2
I imagine if the roles were reversed no one would have a problem imagining a relationship between Peggy the housekeeper and Jarvis the super secret agent.

Well, I certainly wouldn't be clamoring for such a relationship. My dislike for unequal pairings goes both ways. I simply don't care for such a dynamic. I want both characters to be "alphas" - it's way more fun to watch.

Plenty of men are the beta in a relationship with a female. I imagine if the roles were reversed no one would have a problem imagining a relationship between Peggy the housekeeper and Jarvis the super secret agent. I would actually find it refreshing for TV to show a relationship like that. Normally if you get the alpha female with a beta male it is where the female manipulates the male into believing he's in charge while she works behind his back to fix his dumb actions. Jarvis and Peggy each have their strengths and weaknesses. They compliment each other nicely if not in the most predictable way.

If they treated each other like siblings, and had chemistry that felt completely platonic to me, I certainly wouldn't want to see such a relationship, regardless of the power balance. And even without that sibling quality, it might be that the power imbalance relationships are popular in certain genres, but not those I watch/read.

For me, I think they are trying to make us think The Chad is a possibility, especially after the Russia episode.  I...really hope not.  Peggy is too good for The Chad. Seriously. I'm hoping it is more about getting the men in the group to give more respect to the most bad ass agent in the building and what she brings to the table.  I'm fine with Souza if it goes that way. 

For me, I think they are trying to make us think The Chad is a possibility, especially after the Russia episode.

I thought so, too. But if they are gonna follow the canon set up in TWS then it can't be Thompson. And I figure they're gonna follow that canon.

Edited by peachmangosteen

I'm all for Peggy marrying one of the Howling Commandos. 

Rewatched the Avengers this weekend and the actor that plays Sousa plays a young cop in the battle of New York scene with Captain America. Anyone cheering for Sousa as the husband could make a nice AU out of Peggy and Daniel's grandson growing up to work for the NYPD and helping during the battle.

If they do have her husband be Sousa, that would be a fun way to explain EG's cameo and tie the tv storyline and the movie storyline together. However Sousa is too much of non-entity for me. So if he is the husband, I hope we get a season 2 to develop him more. 

• Love 1

Based on the character interactions so far, and how I read the relationships, I would love for it to end up being Sousa.  But I suspect we wouldn't really see it until a season 2 (all possible body parts crossed for another season!!).  Based on this comment:

One specific character that may be seen -- or at least teased -- is Peggy's unnamed husband, mentioned in this past spring's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" as someone who Steve Rogers saved during World War II.

"We're aware that's a question that people are going to ask, and we will certainly hint at different options," Fazekas said.

source

... it does seem like they are planning to tease different possibilities.  

I definitely think we won't see anything but teasing about her husband until season 2(fingers crossed we get one). I'm ok with Sousa based on what I've seen so far but if they brought in a commando or a total stranger or just never addressed it on the show I'm ok with that too. If we do get another season, we should see a different dynamic with the team I think and that would give a better idea of who works together.

If they treated each other like siblings, and had chemistry that felt completely platonic to me, I certainly wouldn't want to see such a relationship, regardless of the power balance.

Yeah, I love her with Jarvis but I don't see romantic chemistry there. I think the actors could carry it if they wanted but I see no reason to go there when Jarvis is married. I wouldn't care about a power differential if I felt their relationship felt equal though.

One of the most refreshing things about this show has been the many platonic relationships with Peggy and Jarvis, Howard, Sousa and even Thompson.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 3

One of the most refreshing things about this show has been the many platonic relationships with Peggy and Jarvis, Howard, Sousa and even Thompson.

Yup.  It's been a great exemplar of how you don't have to show a romance just because you have a female character.

• Love 6
It's been a great exemplar of how you don't have to show a romance just because you have a female character.

Aren't romances a staple of all comic book related storeis? Oliver Queen and Barry Allen have romantic partners (two other comic book series on TV right now).  Superman, Iron Man, Spiderman, Batman - all increasing their agnst by having girlfriends. Even The Thing has a girlfriend and I'm not even sure how that works. It's part of what grounds them and gives them somebody to rescue.

It's not to say that Peggy needs a romantic lead, it's just that it is a staple of the genre.  Clearly, she had a strong relationship with Steve and it's too soon for a new one, and I don't think it dimiinishes her awesomeness to have had a romance.

• Love 5

Aren't romances a staple of all comic book related storeis? Oliver Queen and Barry Allen have romantic partners (two other comic book series on TV right now).  Superman, Iron Man, Spiderman, Batman - all increasing their agnst by having girlfriends. Even The Thing has a girlfriend and I'm not even sure how that works. It's part of what grounds them and gives them somebody to rescue.

It's not to say that Peggy needs a romantic lead, it's just that it is a staple of the genre.  Clearly, she had a strong relationship with Steve and it's too soon for a new one, and I don't think it dimiinishes her awesomeness to have had a romance.

Not all comic books feature romance, though most do. It depends on the story and the characters. As a kid, I read Transformers and Thundercats comics, and there was never any romance, other than that odd woman who fixated on Ultra Magnus, or the very brief attention given to Buster Witwicky's forays into dating. Judge Dredd is a seminal comic book character, and has never had any sort of romance (being a fascistic cop with all empathy and human joy burned out of you can really put a damper on the old love life).

In this show, I agree that it just isn't needed. There is enough story and enough character work to make for really satisfying episodes without needing it at all. But there are what you might term 'platonic romances' between Peggy and Angie and Peggy and Jarvis. The beginnings of friendships that seem like they'll last a lifetime, the building of trust and love, even if it's not in the romantic sense, is nice to watch.

• Love 1

I just think it's refreshing that they concentrated on other types of relationships this season.

It is and it was necessary really. It wouldn't have made sense at this point in Peggy's life for her to be getting romantically involved with anyone.

But if there were to be more seasons I would certainly hope we'd meet Peggy's husband. It's part of her story.

• Love 2

I too, enjoy the lack of romance, as of now. The show has been way more interested in building up her platonic, but still important, relationships that Peggy is making, be it making friends, or just gaining respect. And it would make sense that it would take her while to really start looking for love. Losing Steve is still clearly raw, and she is still dealing with the loss. Whoever turns out to be Peggy's future husband, whether we have met him or not, I am pretty sure he wont officially reveal himself for at least a little while more. 

Remind me. In Winter Soldier, when did Peggy give the interview when she mentioned her husband? 

And I am still kind of weirdly convinced Thomson is going to get together with Angie. And I am totally ok with that.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

Remind me. In Winter Soldier, when did Peggy give the interview when she mentioned her husband? 

It was when Steve went to the Smithsonian to see the Captain America exhibit. He was watching a movie that showed Peggy in 1953 talking about Steve going behind enemy lines to rescue 500?, 1000? soldiers, one of which turned out to be her husband. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I wasn't thinking of the superhero genre specifically, but rather movies and television of any genre that, when they have a female protagonist, almost always add in a romantic/sexual subplot of some kind -- the male character she's always fighting with but secretly lusts after, the horndog secondary character who keeps trying to bed her, the male protagonist who is her One True Love, the ex she can't seem to be rid of, etc.  I just find it refreshing that this series is not at all concerned with that.  Yeah, Steve is a presence, but only in spirit and we all know how that story ends; all we really get are little flashes of emotion from Peggy as she heals.  And yeah, Sousa has a crush on her (or did), but that really only was a moment early on, and his role otherwise has been the one to figure out she is not all they assumed her to be.  The other agents dismissed her and in some cases have come to respect her, but no one is trying to "get" her.  Stark doesn't stand a chance with her, and Jarvis is off limits.  So we just have Carter being a brilliant agent, a good friend, and generally kick-ass.  It's a nice change of pace, and it makes sense for the character anyway given where she is at the moment.  I like romance, but sometimes I want a different kind of story or sub-plot.

Edited by beadgirl
  • Love 5

So the season's over, and if I had to choose the endgame love interest for Peggy, I'd definitely prefer a new character. Sousa still failed to impress me. I would be all for her having a fling with him - but not marrying (unless it's temporary). Sorry, but he's just nowhere as awesome or interesting as she deserves. 

Thompson's probably out because fans would never let this be because of his jerkiness, but I actually feel like the writers care about him more than about Sousa, and his decision at the end reinforced my opinion. It would be all too easy to make him turn around, look and Peggy and Sousa and tell the senator "These are the real heroes, especially Miss Carter". The fact that he didn't just means they have more story and development for him in store - if we ever get to see a season 2, of course.

Jarvis and Howard are out because of marriage/purely platonic relationship/chemistry in the first case and canon in the second (if he didn't have to marry Maria and have Tony, I'd expect the writers to capitalize on the chemistry between the actors, to be honest). 

In conclusion - Sousa's OK in the interim, but I'd prefer him to not be the eventual Mr. Carter.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I see Jarvis has Peggy/s brother/sidekick, so I don't want anything romantic happening with them. I love their friendship way too much. Same goes for her and Angie. Peggy needs friends more than lovers. 

I think Sousa would be a nice getting back out there kind of guy, however I'd be all for Peggy marrying one of the Howling Commandos. 

I'm still making heart eyes at Sousa. He's a decent man, obviously smart, and appreciates Peggy for the awesome woman she is. Plus he's damn pretty. I don't really know what more you want but I dont think we saw enough of them together to really get a sense of chemstry so if we get another season i would like to see how they work together romantically. If not, I'm happy thinking of him as her husband.

But you know, if she meets somebody else I'm sure i would be ok with that. I think they didn't do enough with Sousa. I see him as being a bit down still from war trauma and losing his leg, but coping and making the best of things. I would like to see Howard give him an amazing leg and let him smile more because I know enver could kill it.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 3

I still don't understand why people just can't be friends? I find tv friendships far more interesting then romantic pairings. Mostly because when it becomes a ship, it's just starts filling with angst and that bores me. I love Peggy's friendships with Jarvis and Angie and hope they continued to be friends until they died. 

For me I hope Peggy's husband is someone we've haven't met yet. 

• Love 6

Can I be the sole opponent on this whole Captain America being her one true love business?

Because yeah, no. I watched the series before I watched the first Captain America movie and was massively disappointed that it wasn't quite the epic whirlwind romance I imagined it would be. I hoped there was at least one date. Even if they only went to see the newsreel at the theatre or something.

I'm totally in the Sousa camp. I'm not sure why people ship her with Thompson (she doesn't even like Thompson.) or Jarvis (sweet man, but lovingly devoted to his unseen wife) or Stark (I don't know that she'd want to be a number on a list, basically).

• Love 2

I honestly wish now that they'd cut the line from Cap 2 about her meeting her husband. Because now it hangs over the show like the Sword of Damocles. People talking, theorising, wondering about who the lucky man might be. Rooting for one character over another, sure in the knowledge that she marries someone, and is happy with them.

It puts unnecessary pressure on the show to provide answers, when they'd be better off just showing her getting on with her life, being badass and maybe dating some people. Instead, the first date she goes on, people will be scrutinising every tiny detail, to see if he's the Husband. Or they'll be hating him because it might mean Sousa/Jarvis/Thompson/Angie isn't the husband.

• Love 3

I'm for Peggysous too, unless someone else shows up that I like more. Jarvis is my AU-where-he-isn't-married pick. Otherwise they're a brotp. I'm happy with whoever as long as it's not Agent CMM.

I do think there is a little pressure concerning the husband reveal stuff though. Ultimately I'd be fine if the show decided not to reveal exactly who it is. It can be fun to speculate.

• Love 1

Howard has a reputation for bedding nearly every woman he meets, and I don't think Peggy would ever want to be just another notch on his bedpost. Now Jarvis, if he wasn't happily married, I could see that happening.

Was Wilkes in the military? Has that been established? The main reason I doubt it's him, and I'd have to go back and watch that scene in Winter Soldier again, but I do not think the kids in the pictures were biracial.

But so far, the show has really only given us two, maybe three options, hasn't it? Wilkes, Sousa and Thompson.

Was Wilkes in the military? Has that been established?

Wilkes was in the Navy. Here is what he said at the observatory in Episode 2:

But it was the war that gave me a real opportunity... Navy engineer. And then some real, actual scientific work in the weapons propulsion lab.

Later he says: I applied to 16 companies when I got home.

But Peggy, as I recall, said in that film the man she eventually married was someone Cap saved during the war. Unless Wilkes, a Navy engineer, was somewhere in Germany that seems unlikely.

Edited by KirkB

Howard has a reputation for bedding nearly every woman he meets, and I don't think Peggy would ever want to be just another notch on his bedpost. Now Jarvis, if he wasn't happily married, I could see that happening.

Nah -- Jarvis is too tall for Howard. Heh.

• Love 8