Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 1/19/15

Asif missed a softball that had me screaming at the screen. When that dopey woman said that she approved of the law against Sharia because "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" his response should've been, "You mean like health insurance?"

• Love 13

glurge

Quoting this from carrps because it is an awesome word and fun to say.

How funny that just after watching Aasif's piece, I see this article on facts v. identity:

When we're defending our cherished belief systems against contradictory evidence, we're apt to include unfalsifiable claims that cannot be tested empirically or conclusively refuted.

Especially when it comes from people who claim to be seekers of objective truth, such a response may seem weird and irrational. But as noted by Friesen, "accuracy is only one psychological motivation among many, and falsifiability or testability may be less important when the purpose of a belief serves other psychological motives (e.g., to maintain one's worldviews [or to] serve an identity)."

• Love 2
"It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" his response should've been, "You mean like health insurance?"

Oooh. That's a great comeback. 

I think it's stupid, but I don't actually care that there's a law against sharia law. Unless it's wasting taxpayer money. I didn't realize that the law was phrased "foreign law". I thought it was super interesting that the other guy brought up that 'christian law' could be considered foreign law. Now, I want to see what's going to happen with that. 

I thought the guy that said, "no that was before. any law from now on." really underscored it. You just don't like people that are different from you. You basically flat out said it. I hope the law comes back to bite them in the ass. 

Two things I hate: our values are under attack. No, they really aren't. 

America was founded on christian principles. No, they weren't. That was the point. 

• Love 3

What I think is fascinating about the anti-Sharia thing is how these people imagine SL will descend. I mean, will it sneak in under cover of darkness and quick-as-you-like change the wording in all the statute books? Will the populace be drugged insensible and wake up to find the Brave New World in situ? Will the Mongol Horde ride roughshod over the plains, scimitars slashing? It's like they don't understand how passing laws work, even as they're passing laws!

• Love 6
I grew up in Michigan, Nugent's home state

I live in Michigan and may I say how proud I am that Nuge moved to Texas because Michigan is too liberal for him

I think we need a law that prohibits any song that was popular in the 70s from being the US National Anthem, while we're on the topic of pointless laws.

Where's the Arab-iest city in the US? Right down the road from me--Dearborn. With a mayor named Jack O'Reilly, I'm pretty sure that Sharia doesn't even stand a chance there. 

• Love 1

Asif missed a softball that had me screaming at the screen. When that dopey woman said that she approved of the law against Sharia because "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" his response should've been, "You mean like health insurance?"

For me the better response would have been "you mean like voter protection laws" which existed and have now been gutted  By her own state among others.

Ugh, his point about "Cat Scratch Fever" being a song geared to adults vs. Beyonce's status as a "role model" for young women was SO ridiculous and disingenuous.

In general his entire argument boiled down to "Well, Ted Nugent's acceptable because he didn't chart as well as Beyonce." I had no idea that an artist being less successful meant that children had no access.

I worked pretty hard to get my PhD, not at Harvard, but I resent hearing that I pretty much have no useful skills in the real world. Thanks. I can change a flat tire btw.

Also, what a totally insincere argument. If I have car trouble, do I want a person who knows how to fix cars or a person with an expensive MBA? Yeah, I'll go with the person who fixes cars. If I have cancer, do I want someone who went to Harvard medical school or do I want a mechanic? Yep, I'll go with the former. Different skills are necessary for different situations, Mr Huckabee! 

I don't have a problem with Jon having on these right-wingers that he only mildly challenges. If he were harder on them, the only people willing to be on his show are people he agrees with and that would be incredibly dull. People like Huckabee hang themselves just fine in their appearances.

J-Lo's outfit really was hilarious for The Daily Show. It's like she thought she was at the Grammys.

• Love 2

Completely tangentially, I once had some work done on a car by a self-employed mechanic who couldn't do enough arithmetic to generate an invoice. Even with a calculator.(This was before the age of fancy computerized POS systems.) It was painful to watch him struggle over those digits. So, you know, kids: stay in school!

• Love 2

These two things aren't mutually exclusive, though Mike Huckabee seems to think they are. 

They often are, though -- most MBAs aren't also mechanics. But it doesn't matter. When I say "car trouble" I'm not talking about his insane flat tire argument, that's ridiculous, billions of people can handle that. I'm talking very specifically about how blue collar skills and white collar skills are both valuable needs in the world, and for him to pretend that one is somehow superior to the other is absurd. I wouldn't ask an attorney to fix my septic system any more than I would ask a plumber to represent me in court.

Edited by gesundheit
  • Love 7

I think it's stupid, but I don't actually care that there's a law against sharia law.

Except that the people behind these anti-Sharia bills would like nothing better than to impose their own strict Christian rules onto the laws of the land. You've already got people being elected onto school boards that are anti-science and want creationism taught in public schools.

When it comes to religious extremism in our part of the world, I'm far more concerned about these theocratic dominionists winning elections and rewriting laws than I am of some group of Islamic whackjobs believing they can have their way with us.

• Love 5

Think maybe Samantha and Jason were giving a story of their actual careers?

I loved the burn Obama gave the Republicans after they clapped when he said he wasn't running any more campaigns. They deserved it for being small, petty children all these years. And as for all those endless Republican responses, each and every one of them deserved an Implodey.

• Love 5
Except that the people behind these anti-Sharia bills would like nothing better than to impose their own strict Christian rules onto the laws of the land...

How does passing a measure banning 'foreign law', make it easier for them to impose their rules? Having that law against isn't going to stop christian fundamentalists from being elected. That's a whole other problem. You're saying the same thing I say over in Real Time (which was deleted; e.g., basing the rule of law on religious texts). It's not like someone is going to get elected who is secretly plotting to use sharia law in the next court ruling. 

The point of the story was that these people are so myopic that they're essentially passing a law banning what they want. If they get sued for not wanting to teach evolution in school because the bible, well, they just passed a law that said you can't rule in favor of that. 

I haven't seen tonight's episode yet (I will on Hulu tomorrow) but I do have to go against the grain and say that I like Anne Hathaway.  From what I've seen she comes across as a very intelligent, very classy lady, and I think she's a good actor.  Never knew why the internet decided they hated her a few years ago.

• Love 3

I loved the burn Obama gave the Republicans after they clapped when he said he wasn't running any more campaigns. They deserved it for being small, petty children all these years. And as for all those endless Republican responses, each and every one of them deserved an Implodey.

What I love about that 'aside' form the SOTU is that while it wasn't in the text that the WH sent out, you just know that it was not an improvised statement.  I strongly suspect that President Obama had it in his back pocket ready to bring out based upon the reaction to his "not running in any more elections" statement.

• Love 3

It sounded pretty improvised to me. I thought he was trying not to slip into a more sarcastic, taunting tone.

I thought Anne Hathaway looked great with that haircut. However, I felt like a sober person watching two drunks cracking up. 

How is it that Ted Cruz has gotten as far as he has with that horrible-sounding voice of his? God, it's worse that nails on a chalkboard!  And does no one on Team Ted know about editing?

• Love 2
Never knew why the internet decided they hated her a few years ago.

I didn't know that was a thing. She seems fine to me. Although the interview descended into giggle chaos, I actually found it refreshing. I assume that AH gave away a pretty big spoiler, and when most every thing in media is packaged and vetted beforehand it was just funny. 

I wouldn't be surprised that Obama had his ad lib prepared, but so what? All the shit that's been heaped on him in the last six years? I think it's more than fair he gets one dig in. 

I assume that AH gave away a pretty big spoiler, and when most every thing in media is packaged and vetted beforehand it was just funny. 

I think she said that all happens before the movie starts, like it's the setup to the movie, so no spoiler.

J-Lo's outfit really was hilarious for The Daily Show. It's like she thought she was at the Grammys.

And she flashed the audience. It was quick, but it was a real flash.

I wonder if Anne Hathaway wore sneakers so she wouldn't loom over Jon. Made her look a bit goofy, but relatable.

Yes, we're supposed to trust MetLife because they have Charlie Brown and Snoopy in their corner. Whatever, you pigs.

Great seeing Trevor Noah again, and for giving us all some proper context about Boko Haram. Can we make his visits a little more frequent please?

• Love 1

Dang, I didn't expect so much silence during Trevor Noah's bit after watching it. I think the media (and probably everybody else, even me) should know better than ignore it. I do appreciate Trevor's "What happens in Africa..." joke, however. I think Trevor knows how to grab attention when he brings up something completely ignored by the news networks. Well played. *

* My only peeve is that I still wish he was a full-time correspondent. As cute as he is, Trevor's quite a find! But for someone genuine as him, I guess it's better if he appears less frequently. That only makes his remarks more precious.

Edited by The Luvly Junkie
  • Love 2

It was pretty great seeing Trevor Noah voice my concerns about the ISIS bias (their territory would probably be a crater if BH did this to Americans). Why were no people touching on this? I felt like he was witty without being glib and a real asset to the show, despite the fact that it was a very unfunny subject. I love when this show can demonstrate how messed up things are without being preachy or condescending. No laughs from me but a great segment. A Last Week Tonight vibe almost.

• Love 2

I'm glad they covered it, but boy was I uncomfortable during Trevor Noah's segment. Honestly I kind of figured the only reason they hadn't covered it already is that it's just really hard to find any way to find humor there. And even the "safe" humor that they used -- mocking the media for ignoring it -- was hardly a laugh riot. Which is okay! I'm glad it got attention. I'd recently been thinking how weird it was that I'd seen more complaints on social media about the lack of coverage for the Kosher market killings the day after the Hedbo attacks, but none of those people made a peep about the BH massacre. (Though in general one of my biggest pet peeves about social media is how often people use it to play the tragedy olympics and shame everyone else for not playing it better. My personal feeling is that if you feel like people aren't talking enough about something, then you should talk about it as much as an often as possible rather than scolding everyone else for not doing so.)

In lighter news, Jennifer Aniston seemed really uncomfortable, didn't she? Also, when she was talking about the cast, I feel like she kept leaving out Adriana Barraza, which is odd because that was her primary scene partner. And was an Oscar nominee. Am I just looking for reasons to be more worried about the fact that the only nonwhite person in the movie is the long-suffering but tremendously patient and wise maid? Maybe she did mention her name and it flew past me.

And in even lighter news, it is an absolute friggin' crime that the New England Patriots press conferences featuring Coach Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady talking about perfect balls were not available in time for a segment or at least a moment of zen.

• Love 2

Going back a couple of days to something that continues to bother me: I dislike Jon's equating Boehner with Groot. Sure, Orange Julius looks for all the world like a tree, but Groot is neither stupid nor unkind. Groot in fact is awesome, and does not deserve to be compared to the Speaker. Find another hunk of timber for your analogy, Jon!

• Love 3

Groot is neither stupid nor unkind. Groot in fact is awesome, and does not deserve to be compared to the Speaker.

Obviously, I agree wholeheartedly.  Thank you for your post.

• Love 1

Yes, we're supposed to trust MetLife because they have Charlie Brown and Snoopy in their corner. Whatever, you pigs.

I've never understood how or why MetLife got the Peanuts characters as mascots. Of all the merchandising opportunities for those characters how did they end up enslaved to an insurance company?

Charles Schulz was a Met Life policy holder for decades, according to this article. He also allowed Ford to use the Peanuts character in a commercial because he was a Ford driver, as his father had been before him. After Schulz's death, I suspect his heirs like the fact that Met Life's use of the characters keep them in the public eye.

I appreciate the Boko Haram segment. I'm not a news junkie. I watch PBS news everyday, and this isn't a topic I was like, "zomg really?" I got the impression that the audience was shocked to hear about this. TDS shouldn't be a news source. 

• Love 3

Trevor Noah seems to spend most of his time touring. I saw he had a show in NYC this week, so I was hopeful he would pop up.

And, yeah, like Delwyn said, great segment but not for laughing. Except the part in which he broke out in an accent.

I knew about Boko Haram from Daily Kos, where quite a few people have been talking about the massacres. They also have had some amazing investigative reporting on what really happened in Ferguson-- things I haven't seen anywhere else. It's quite upsetting just how much doesn't get reported in the mainstream, or even the semi-mainstream (like PBS and NPR).

I like J-Lo because of her involvement with "The Fosters" TV show.

The "Sharia Law" bans are really weird to me. It's like there is a fear of something that not only isn't a threat, but against which there are already safeguards via the 1st amendment. But, as has been said before, facts don't matter when people are acting out of an irrational agenda.

• Love 1

Also, if my car breaks down, I'd much rather have someone with an MBA and a BMW pick me up than two hilljacks in a pick up truck.  I have road assistance, anyway so I don't need either one.

That was a real white privilege moment, I thought. As a PoC if my car broke down in the middle of nowhere I'd be afraid of pretty much any of the locals. Not that every person who might see my car would be an intolerant bigot, but "two bubbas" are more likely to be someone to greet me with a "what's someone like you doing in these parts" to see me than someone that went to college. A couple years ago we went on a road trip that took us through Arizona and we were extra watchful to stay under the speed limit to minimize any chance we might end up begging for the chance to prove our citizenship.

I think too many people want Jon to be a gotcha-type interviewer and are disappointed that he's not, but he's still judged by that measure.

You're right, though I personally don't want to see Jon be a gotcha interviewer. He's actually really great at having conversations with people who disagree with him and he's great at articulating his view on some of these issues... but a lot of times with conservatives he overlooks those differences to let a conservative throw out their talking points. For the longest time, the Daily Show viewers I knew all had a hard time reconciling the Huckabee who showed up in the news for saying theocratic stuff with the Huckabee who appeared on TDS.

I assume that AH gave away a pretty big spoiler, and when most every thing in media is packaged and vetted beforehand it was just funny.

I think she said that all happens before the movie starts, like it's the setup to the movie, so no spoiler.

I think her description of the film was so incredibly depressing that it made them start to laugh when it registered how it sounded out loud:  "I play a girl something big happened to when she was young so she had no childhood and then her brother calls to say he's dropping out of college and then he gets hit by a car and is in a coma."  I mean, who wouldn't race to the box office after that setup?!?  I loved their reactions and couldn't stop laughing with them.  No way to save it at that point.

I like Anne.  I think I would enjoy hanging out with her, and I think the movie actually looks interesting.

It's quite upsetting just how much doesn't get reported in the mainstream, or even the semi-mainstream (like PBS and NPR).

I watch PBS every day and they covered Boko Haram. Unless you mean continual reporting as an ongoing narrative.

• Love 1

I know it's the job of the host to make all guests feel welcome. And Jon Stewart takes that role seriously. But I could tell that it took every ounce of restraint he had not to tell Huckabee how fuckin' stupid his "Bubble" vs. "Bubba" thing was.

Huckabee always seems like a decent sort of guy, but there's a really dangerous subtext to what he espouses. As Jon rightly kept pointing out, Huckabee isn't just saying the people in the "fly over" states are different. He IS saying they're better. And the subtext, which you'd have to be a complete dolt to miss, is that they're better because they're white Christians. Obviously the entire red state population isn't 100% white Christian, but the people who Huckabee includes in his " bubba" category sure are.

Of course his "bubba" vs. "bubble" dichotomy implies a value judgment, and furthers an "us" vs."them" mentality that's the last thing we need at such a polarized America. How sad that almost 40 years after Spiro Agnew talked about the "silent majority" we still have the implication that if you live in a big city and place a value on education, and oh, say, prefer jazz to country music, that you're not a "real American."

The anti-intellectual rhetoric spouted by Huckabee has a long, unfortunate history in America, and it's often been promoted by those with racist and anti-immigrant agendas. It used to be "those smart ass Jews think they're better than us." Now it's more commonly becoming "those Indians/Chinese/Koreans think they're better than us." It's also a tactic being used now by those who want to deny climate change. "Those smart ass egghead scientists with their advanced degrees. They think they know more than we do, just because they've been studying the subject for the last 30 years.

When Huckabee brought up the scenario of the two good ole boys coming upon you and your flat time in the middle of the night, I wish that Jon had started humming the theme from "Deliverance." I know that went through his head. 

Jon should've asked Huckabee if he needed a delicate heart operation to save his life, who would he want. A Harvard educated surgeon from one of those big city slicker hospitals, or Old Doc Brown, with his bible and his "horse sense."

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6
And the subtext, which you'd have to be a complete dolt to miss, is that they're better because they're white Christians.

I was surprised JS didn't call him out on this when he used Beyonce as an example. Rather than, say, Katy Perry, who actually grew up with religion.