Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Time And Tide

After hearing just that brief story about Jarvis and his wife was worth watching tonight. No wonder Tony used him as the templet for the artificial intelligence. The guy was pure class. I'm hoping he becomes a founding member of SHIELD.

• Love 1

Man, Jarvis is just a horrible guy to have call in an anonymous tip.

Angie continues to deliver the great quotes.  She had the quote about how Houdini is not a good thing, and then about her cousin Ralphie.  I'm still sticking with her working with Howard, the new neighbor on the other hand, she's Leviathan.

They're pushing that Sousa is the one to marry Peggy.  We know he was the only one Peggy could stomach getting the credit, and he has a thing for her.  The line about Peggy not trading in Captain America for him, seals it.

• Love 1

ABC should order a pilot where an Englishman and Englishwoman talk to each other for an hour. At certain times, the lady kicks ass, while the man commentates on it in a horrifying mock American accent.

Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking Bosom Buddies about Peggy's current digs. Can't wait to see how Jarvis gets his ass to the second floor. You just know it'll happen.

Damn, Carter can kick some ass. Sure, she won with a deus ex macchina, but she was holding her own quite nicely before Jarvis intervened.

• Love 11

I have the same praise for tonight's episode that I had last week. The story was fast paced and engaging, love that they are flushing out the supporting characters so quickly, the fight scenes were believable and fun.

I continue to be so impressed with the set decorations and the costumes.

Jarvis is full of warmth and subtle humor. His back story was good and I love the friendship they are developing between him and Peggy.

Dottie is definitely a plant. No one is that happy ... ever.

I really enjoyed the scene at the end where Peggy opened up a bit to Angie.

Can't wait to see what happens to the Agent that beats up people while interrogating suspects. Nothing good is coming his way. 

• Love 3

Either Sousa is going to be with Peggy or is going to be a bad guy. I hope not but I have a feeling him and/or either Dottie/Angie will be evil.

It's only three eps in but Jarvis and Peggy are such a great pair. Thankfully there is nothing romantic about them but they are so fun to watch together.

• Love 6

Ok that scene between Peggy and her boss was SO hard to watch.   And my hats off to Peggy for doing what needed to be done.   She had to get Jarvis out before he accidently got them both in trouble and she knew she'd take a hard hit for it but girl did it anyway.  That's a hero for you.    That scene was VERY well written and VERY well acted by all involved.   Agent Thompson's "Agent Carter, sorry doesn't begin to cover it" was just salt in the wound.

The scene between Peggy and Jarvis about why Peggy couldn't be the one to call in Howard's weapons was also very sad but also very needed.  I like that we get to see Peggy shake things off and do what needs to be done but it DOES get to her and it DOES bother her.   She doesn't NEED the respect of her colleagues to do her job but like anyone else, she does want it.

I was super worried when it seemed like Kurminsky? was putting the pieces together about "The english dame with the right hook."    And now I'm worried about Peggy being found out considering that office now very much has a personal grudge against Howard Stark.    Yikes, they are doing a really good job of adding tension to this whole investigation.   Natasha Romanov has been my favorite Marvel Live Action Heroine since she hit the screen in Iron Man 2 but now she is going to have to share that crown with Agent Carter.    I can't believe how the writers are really allowing viewers to connect with this character.   I like her as much as any Avenger.  It's awesome.

I don't know about Sousa yet.   I certainly wouldn't mind if Sousa/Peggy get close some day but in a recent interview the writer didn't discount the potential future of Agent Thompson/Peggy, so I'm thinking we will see more of them interacting.   Maybe it won't be amorous but I got the impression that Agent Thompson will definitely have an impact on her character.    If nothing else I hope we get to see Sousa and Peggy working together more, they both could use an ally in that office, though with Kirminsky gone, he might not have it as bad as he did.   But in summation, I like Sousa.

Was sad about Angie and Peggy's falling out and was really happy they were able to patch things up by the end of the episode.   They fought like real friends do, it wasn't OTT like a lot of "Secret Identity" drama.   I felt like I was seeing two friends who were having a tiff.  

Always love Jarvis.    

MAD as HELL that I won't get any Agent Carter next week.   What the Hell ABC?

• Love 10

Smiling Iowa girl is definitely the assassin. 

I love how this show is able to show Peggy being capable but not invincible. She held her own in that fight for awhile so I didn't mind that Jarvis helped her out. No matter how tough she is, like everyone else she still needs back up. 

Jarvis committed treason to save his wife. So she's real and I'm glad. Peggy and Jarvis can stay friends and partners. 

Angie's great and has great stories. I was wondering if she was going to mention Peggy getting in the car with Jarvis. 

• Love 4

Ok that scene between Peggy and her boss was SO hard to watch.   And my hats off to Peggy for doing what needed to be done.   She had to get Jarvis out before he accidently got them both in trouble and she knew she'd take a hard hit for it but girl did it anyway.  That's a hero for you.    That scene was VERY well written and VERY well acted by all involved.   Agent Thompson's "Agent Carter, sorry doesn't begin to cover it" was just salt in the wound.

The scene between Peggy and Jarvis about why Peggy couldn't be the one to call in Howard's weapons was also very sad but also very needed.  I like that we get to see Peggy shake things off and do what needs to be done but it DOES get to her and it DOES bother her.   She doesn't NEED the respect of her colleagues to do her job but like anyone else, she does want it.

Those two scenes were really well written. Both could have very easily strayed off into overcompensating female heroine ignores good advice to prove she was right territory.

You're right that the sense of urgency and character attachment that they have already managed to create with only three episodes aired is quite a feat. I don't know what all Howard Stark created but I'm completely invested in the need to get it back. This storyline could have been reduced to a boring hunt for McGuffins but the writing elevates it above that.  

• Love 3

ABC should order a pilot where an Englishman and Englishwoman talk to each other for an hour. At certain times, the lady kicks ass, while the man commentates on it in a horrifying mock American accent.

Damn, Carter can kick some ass. Sure, she won with a deus ex macchina, but she was holding her own quite nicely before Jarvis intervened.

At this point, I'd watch Lady Kick-Ass and Bogus Accent Man every week. Sounds like a fantastic show, with the right cast!

Deux ex machina, or Chekhov's bonesnapper? Too tough a call for me.

"She was Jewish?" "She still is, I'm happy to say." Edwin Jarvis, you're a keeper.

Loved. That. Loved the byplay between Anna and Edwin, too.

Did I miss something in Agent Carter's "ruining" of the interrogation scene? Peggy figured out that the stolen car report wasn't so much "lost in the shuffle" as sitting on the table, so she picked it up, just so she could force her superior to admit it had been filed?

Good golly, I hope Agent Thompson gets a comeuppance that matches his brutish interrogation "skills."

And yeah, I don't trust "Dottie" either.

• Love 3

Wow, I'm really digging this show.  The scenes in the boarding house feel so genuine, like that girl who was evicted because she had a guy over.  They add to the show, they don't detract from it.

Jarvis is awesome, and my heart just broke for him in that interrogation room.  And then my heart broke for Peggy when she got yelled at, plus all the staring afterwards.  I really wanted to smack Agent Thompson in the head.  I know he's doing his job, but I still don't like him.  He's way too trigger-happy about beating up the perps.  And now they really want to get Stark, which is only going to fuel the fire for Thompson.

Still think Angie is undercover and spying on Peggy.  And possibly Dottie.

I know they're playing up the Sousa/Peggy thing, but Sousa is so blah, and does nothing for me.  Peggy has more chemistry with Jarvis, although I don't want them hooking up because they're great as friends.  Plus, the sweet story about his wife.  But I did feel bad for Sousa when Kremzinsky was all "She's not going to downgrade from a red, white, and blue shield to an aluminum crutch."  Ouch.  

For all that she puts up with, Peggy continues to own this show.  She's awesome.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 3

So the evil mustachio guy from last week is definitely dead, right? I keep expecting him to pop up again, mainly because they showed the van/truck entering the water, but he wasn't shown to still be pinned to the top. I suppose he probably died in the explosion thingy.

Anyways, I adore Jarvis more and more. I like Sousa, even though I am mentally preparing myself with the fact that he could still turn out to be a bad guy somehow.

I want to punch Agent Thompson in the face. Why couldn't he be the one to get offed? I was not expecting the bumbling (?) Agent K to be offed. It felt like it was too soon for him to go. I think he had potential as a character. I also didn't like how he seemed to be so under appreciated at his job. He actually seemed like he was competent when he wanted to be. Yeah, he was a jerk, but out of the 3 jerky agent guys, he was the least vile. Although that comment to Sousa about trading in a shield for a crutch was a low blow.

The new lady at the apartments is shady.

I got a chuckle out of Peggy's giant book of symbols. Also, it appears that all of Howard's bad babies like to glow.

• Love 1

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW. Again, haven't watched any of the Marvel stuff, but this show really grabs me. Sad that its only 8 episodes. LOVE Agent Peggy Carter. Hayley Atwell is amazing in this role. I guess that's why many love the Captain America movies!!

Anyway, really good episode, quite enjoyed it. Peggy wanting to call in the Stark find, and Jarvis kindly telling her how she would be punished was a beautiful scene. Carter is amazingly smart and level headed, but everyone wants to have some recognition that their sacrifices mean something in the grand scheme of things. It's doubly worse for Carter, since she is living in a time that diminished female contribution. I really felt for her.

Jarvis I like a lot, and the story of his wife brought tears. He mentioned Budapest (and pronounced it correct) and his wife being Jewish. Hungary was one of the many countries that deported a large number of their Jewish population to the concentration camps in WWII. My parents (and me by extension) are Hungarian, and my mother remembers seeing Stalin walking down the street (yes I know, later date), but it still hits the heart.

Whew...need to lighten things up....I assume Anna is a Hungarian Jew, so hey, bring on the Chicken Paprikash, Lecso and Dobos Torte!!

I felt really bad for Angie, but I totally understand why Peggy is standoffish. Not only did her previously roomie get killed, but she really cannot divulge too much of her life. And as illustrated in this episode - sometimes she cannot just sit around drinking schnapps. She has to go off and do more important things.

I really like Sousa's character also - he's going through the same discrimination (in a way) that Peggy is. She is considered not so capable, due to gender. He is considered not so desirable due to his war injury.

And Peggy kicking ass ---> AH-mazing. I really like this show.

Did I miss something in Agent Carter's "ruining" of the interrogation scene? Peggy figured out that the stolen car report wasn't so much "lost in the shuffle" as sitting on the table, so she picked it up, just so she could force her superior to admit it had been filed?

I understood the scene as they knew he had filed a stolen car report, but figured Jarvis did that to throw off the trail. The guy interrogating even says that. They "claimed" that the car report was "lost", but they really were hiding that the report existed from Jarvis. Carter picked up the report, then deliberately told her superior about the report when Jarvis could hear her. By doing this, Jarvis knew that he didn't have to confess anything or be intimidated, because the stolen car report was there, backing up his initial story.

• Love 8

I felt really bad for Angie, but I totally understand why Peggy is standoffish. Not only did her previously roomie get killed, but she really cannot divulge too much of her life. And as illustrated in this episode - sometimes she cannot just sit around drinking schnapps. She has to go off and do more important things.

Plus, Angie is a sweetheart, but she comes on really strong and doesn't seem to understand the concept of personal space.  People who aren't spies would be wary of that constant "in-your-face" interaction after only knowing you a few days.  

• Love 5

Really good episode.  Worth it alone for the story on how Jarvis met his wife but the rest of the episode was good too.  Great interaction between Atwell and D'Arcy and the latter was fantastic in that interrogation scene.  Great atmosphere.

-I like that they kept Jarvis's backstory of having served in the military like Comic Jarvis.

"I've got to tell his wife."

"I'll tell his girl." 

Nice bit to lighten the mood.

• Love 2

This may just be the best show on TV this year!

And I'll be pissed as hell if the Emmy's and other award shows won't get off their high horse of, never nominating comic based anything, and give it some nominations.

With that being said: the killer is definitely a woman! you could see she was wearing heals as they moved away from the car.

Jarvis is adorable, I would like to marry him myself. I knew the second i heard her voice that his wife was Eastern European, when the treason charge was brought out I thought she could be German - didn't expect her to be Jewish. However his story is still a bit off... A pre war Eastern European Jewish woman marrying a non Jew? Happened but wasn't common, her parents probably almost had a stroke- it's one thing to work with the gentile another thing to marry one. Then again, if this was already in the late 30's (as it seems from Jarvis's story) she may have been aware of where the winds were blowing and saw an escape route with him (growing in israel I met a few men and women who managed to escape that way).

Sousa is most certinally the husband, however I won't be surprised if they'll pull the rug and make Tristin (or whatever his name is on the show) the husband. Anything is possible.

I'm still unsure about Angie.

I'm okay with no episode next week, it sucks but The State of the Union speech is an important one, whether you chose to listen or not.

I don't think i have a single bad word! This show is awesome, I'm sad it's only 8 episodes would have been nice had it had a few more; but that may be for the best, more episodes and they may have felt compelled to find a way to screw it up.

• Love 1

Bridget Regan!  As... Dottie, a nice girl from Iowa (I think), who wants to be a dancer.  Yeah, no way I'm buying that.  Dottie is going to be much more then that.  I agree that the assassin looked like it could have been a woman, so she's already at the top of my suspect list.  And, if it is her, there better be an epic smackdown between her and Peggy.

Hayley Atwell nearly killed me when Peggy was getting chewed out by The Captain and Jack.  I felt so bad for her.  Yeah, I know that it had to be done and this episode clearly showed worst things can happen (mainly death), but knowing that it was going to cause the guys to be even bigger jerks to her and probably continue to think that being a woman makes her inferior to them, was just hard to watch.  The Captain was bad enough, but Jack getting a final dig in was just the icing on that smug cake.  I really hope this series ends with Peggy showing these guys how it's done.  Either way, Peggy and Hayley continue to be the best thing about this show.

Meanwhile, Jarvis continues to be the biggest surprise, mainly because I really didn't know much about James D'Arcy before this.  But, he really is impressing me.  His rapport with Hayley continues to be on point, and is able to make Jarvis both likable and sympathetic.  His reaction to Jack's interrogation was very well done; really could feel the rage that was boiling up in him.  I continue to hope that the mysterious phone call from last week wasn't too big of a deal, and he isn't shady in any way.

Glad they are still featuring Angie a good bit, although I hope they go somewhere bigger with her in the future.  I enjoyed the Peggy/Angie bits.  Taking her on face value, I do think Angie is sincere in her wanting to be a friend for Peggy, but to be honest, I do think Angie needs to learn to read rooms, and not automatically take it so personally if someone doesn't want to talk.  She means well, but, you know?  Sometimes, you just want peace and quiet.  Now, granted, the real reason was because Peggy needed to run off and do some crime stuff with Jarvis, but still.

I know she is just a minor character, but I really hope that the head hotel lady being such a controlling jerk, means she's going to get her comeuppance somewhere down the line.

Since Kyle Bornheimer was only a guest actor, I figured it could mean he was more in danger then Jack or Daniel, so as soon as he started putting the pieces together, I knew Krzeminski was a goner.  It was better then I expected, to be honest.  I mean, yes, he was a sexist tool, who was unfaithful to his wife, but I was able to buy that Peggy would still be shocked by his death, and I do think despite his clear flaws, he didn't deserve to go out like that.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't the only victim by the end of these episodes.

At this point, Daniel really is either going to be Peggy's future husband, or a traitor.  I don't see them just playing safe with him.  Especially since it's Enver Gjokaj, and it's more then capable of just merely being a nice guy agent.

Another good episode.  No complaints here.  It's just a very pleasant show, with an awesome lead character and actress.

• Love 2

I'm absolutely sure that Dottie was the one who killed Kremzinsky and muscle from the boat. When the assassin is returning to the car you can see blondish hair under the hat and that the suit is way too big for whoever is wearing it.

• Love 3
A pre war Eastern European Jewish woman marrying a non Jew? Happened but wasn't common, her parents probably almost had a stroke- it's one thing to work with the gentile another thing to marry one. Then again, if this was already in the late 30's (as it seems from Jarvis's story) she may have been aware of where the winds were blowing and saw an escape route with him (growing in israel I met a few men and women who managed to escape that way).

They also may have been thinking of the real life story of William Burroughs, who married a Jewish woman he'd met in Austria in 1937 just to get her out of Europe - he was mostly sleeping with men at the time. After they reached NYC, they got divorced. Given his later life I tend to think that she had two lucky escapes.  

Dottie is so obviously Highly Questionable I'm almost finding myself hoping that her Iowa dancing story is true, since that would be more surprising at this point.

• Love 2

Thanks, HalcyonDay, for the confirmation. I knew that Carter's "admission" had to be in front of Jarvis and her boss for a reason.

I wonder if Miss Fry knows that her respectable establishment is pretty much Spy Gal Central, at this point?

• Love 2

Ok that scene between Peggy and her boss was SO hard to watch. And my hats off to Peggy for doing what needed to be done. She had to get Jarvis out before he accidently got them both in trouble and she knew she'd take a hard hit for it but girl did it anyway. That's a hero for you. That scene was VERY well written and VERY well acted by all involved. Agent Thompson's "Agent Carter, sorry doesn't begin to cover it" was just salt in the wound.

The scene between Peggy and Jarvis about why Peggy couldn't be the one to call in Howard's weapons was also very sad but also very needed. I like that we get to see Peggy shake things off and do what needs to be done but it DOES get to her and it DOES bother her. She doesn't NEED the respect of her colleagues to do her job but like anyone else, she does want it.

I was super worried when it seemed like Kurminsky? was putting the pieces together about "The english dame with the right hook." And now I'm worried about Peggy being found out considering that office now very much has a personal grudge against Howard Stark. Yikes, they are doing a really good job of adding tension to this whole investigation. Natasha Romanov has been my favorite Marvel Live Action Heroine since she hit the screen in Iron Man 2 but now she is going to have to share that crown with Agent Carter. I can't believe how the writers are really allowing viewers to connect with this character. I like her as much as any Avenger. It's awesome.

I don't know about Sousa yet. I certainly wouldn't mind if Sousa/Peggy get close some day but in a recent interview the writer didn't discount the potential future of Agent Thompson/Peggy, so I'm thinking we will see more of them interacting. Maybe it won't be amorous but I got the impression that Agent Thompson will definitely have an impact on her character. If nothing else I hope we get to see Sousa and Peggy working together more, they both could use an ally in that office, though with Kirminsky gone, he might not have it as bad as he did. But in summation, I like Sousa.

Was sad about Angie and Peggy's falling out and was really happy they were able to patch things up by the end of the episode. They fought like real friends do, it wasn't OTT like a lot of "Secret Identity" drama. I felt like I was seeing two friends who were having a tiff.

Always love Jarvis.

MAD as HELL that I won't get any Agent Carter next week. What the Hell ABC?

All of the above and SO much more, hot damn I love this show and Oh how I wish I had been born two decades earlier!

Maybe I missed it, but I was unclear about what happened to the Stark inventions by the end. Does the SSR have them in their custody, or does Leviathan(or whoever shot Peggy's co-worker) have them?

I love Jarvis so much more after this episode. His atrocious American accent was hysterical. Also, the way he started grilling Peggy about her cover story was perfect. He made her realize what she wanted wouldn't work, and he did it in a way she could accept. 

Some of those smaller details were just wonderful. The boarding house. The pin curls! My grandma put her hair in pin curls every night until a few years ago when it became too difficult. 

I also didn't follow the significance of the stolen car report at first. I didn't catch that the SSR agents were the ones that "lost" the report. It's the one thing about this show that makes me uncomfortable--the SSR's shady methods of interrogation and evidence tampering. 

I'm bummed the scenes we've been seeing in the promos were from the next episode rather than this one. I'm waiting for that Peggy-Howard showdown.

• Love 6

Loved Jarvis even more this week and I definitely want to see his (still) Jewish wife that he committed treason for. The fake American accent was hilarious.

Poor Peggy having to lose what little respect she has in the office to help Jarvis. It was also very human of her wanting to get some back by turning in Stark's inventions herself.

Bridget Regan is definitely a bad guy. "Dottie from Iowa?" Yeah right.

Peggy in pants, especially in this time period. HOT.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I'd love it if Dottie is actually a dancer AND an evil agent. How awesome would that be?

Jarvis' accent was hilarious.

I knew Krzemenski was a dead man when the muscle-y guy started going on about the English dame. I was just wondering how he'd bite it -- when they came to the train crossing, I was like, "oh, the car will be hit by a train. Here we go."

Still loving the look of the show -- the fashion, hair, makeup, sets. The details are so well done that I sometimes get caught up looking and have to rewind because I missed some dialogue.

• Love 5
The details are so well done that I sometimes get caught up looking and have to rewind because I missed some dialogue.

I keep watching the same flustered pigeon fly up around the lower left hand side of the screen during the daytime establishing shot of the phone company.

Have we given him a name yet? He's gotten more screen time than some working actors.

• Love 9

The thing that I dig most about this show? It's showing that Captain America was lucky to have Peggy instead of the other way around. She's not a girlfriend or a damsel; she's a peer, if not a goddamn superior.

I also like that the cops aren't bumbling morons; they get to the same conclusions Peggy does, just a few steps behind. It really illustrates how they could be utilizing all their assets but are limited by their worldview and the attitudes of the time.

Edited by Smug47
  • Love 10

Jarvis committed treason to save his wife. So she's real and I'm glad. Peggy and Jarvis can stay friends and partners. 

This is probably my issue but I have a really hard time not shipping Jarvis and Peggy. They are fantastic together. Oh heck Jarvis is just fantastic. It is a testament to the idea that I never found James D'arcy very good looking but here I do.  Can we really say his wife is  currently real? It might be that she WAS real but given that she was Jewish behind the lines, and that he got caught forging the general's signature... did she get out? I thought they made that vague for a reason.  We just don't know who the voice is.  Since we don't see her I feel like it will turn out to be some sort of AI.

One reason I heart this show is that it was so hard to see Peggy take the "silly woman" hit to get Jarvis out of danger. 

I don't know about Souza. I am starting to think he might be a bad guy.  The wounded leg is just sort of an obvious way to throw suspicion off him so he can run around and do stuff. Also, I find it odd that such an agency would have someone wounded, especially at this time.

This was another great episode. So glad I turned in.

• Love 2

Did they ever say where Sousa served during the war?  The movie mentions that Peggy's husband was saved by Cap and I get the impression that most of the veterans in the office were off in the Pacific and therefore didn't see her in action.

It's a miracle that muscle guy didn't have to go to the hospital after being whacked in the face by Peggy.  Still, perhaps she should consider a disguise and fake accent in the future. 

It might be that she WAS real but given that she was Jewish behind the lines, and that he got caught forging the general's signature... did she get out?

Jarvis pretty strongly indicated the answer is yes.  When Peggy said "She was Jewish," he responded "And still is."  He could have been telling an exact-words kind of truth (like "She's still Jewish... in HEAVEN"), but the implication is that his wife is still on this mortal coil.

Speaking for myself, I like Peggy and Jarvis' scenes because their relationship is incredibly sharp and fun, yet also reads as completely platonic to me.  We've seen Peggy have male allies who are also love interests, and we've seen Peggy have non-love interest men who look down on her and dismiss her -- so I think it's a good decision by the writers to also throw in a non-love-interest male character who is also a very strong ally to Peggy.  Jarvis represents the way Peggy's male colleagues SHOULD see her, and makes a fine demonstration of how much she could be getting accomplished if she weren't seen as just some dumb skirt.

Speaking of which, Peggy's humiliation over the stolen-car report was just brutal to watch.  To me, that was as heroic as any of the action-sequence things she's done.  She took a big, ugly hit for the sake of her objective.  And she and Jarvis are the only ones who know it. 

As for Sousa, I hope against hope he is her future husband and not a rat.  That crutch/shield line was so harsh, and also so hilariously wrong about Peggy.

• Love 10

Another great episode. I liked that the other SSR agents were competent enough to be making progress on the case instead of Peggy solving it all by herself behind the scenes. Does Peggy even know about the Fringe typewriter? I'm looking forward to the two investigations colliding and the boys admitting that Peggy knows what she's doing after all. 

I don't know about Sousa yet.   I certainly wouldn't mind if Sousa/Peggy get close some day but in a recent interview the writer didn't discount the potential future of Agent Thompson/Peggy, so I'm thinking we will see more of them interacting.   Maybe it won't be amorous but I got the impression that Agent Thompson will definitely have an impact on her character.

I wouldn't be surprised if they set Thompson up as the reformed asshole, that's a trope that show runners seem to find hard to resist. Sousa seems like too obvious a choice at this point that I don't trust his sincerity, and could easily see him "shockingly" revealed as a big bad. What I really like is that the show isn't thrusting chem tests in our faces and letting all of Peggy's relationships naturally progress. 

So is Chris Evans' likeness in the opening credits? Good for him for earning some lunch money every time the show airs!

• Love 4
Speaking of which, Peggy's humiliation over the stolen-car report was just brutal to watch.  To me, that was as heroic as any of the action-sequence things she's done.  She took a big, ugly hit for the sake of her objective.  And she and Jarvis are the only ones who know it.

Absolutely. The praise for Thompson's usual brand of bluffing and intimidation as "great work" made it even tougher. Or maybe I just choose to believe Agent "Words Beginning With A" Thompson wasn't actually getting anywhere much with Jarvis.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3
It might be that she WAS real but given that she was Jewish behind the lines, and that he got caught forging the general's signature... did she get out?

I thought I heard Peggy ask how she got out and Jarvis said that Howard Stark got him out of trouble and his wife out of Hungary. It adds another reason for the loyalty.

I also didn't follow the significance of the stolen car report at first. I didn't catch that the SSR agents were the ones that "lost" the report. It's the one thing about this show that makes me uncomfortable--the SSR's shady methods of interrogation and evidence tampering.

They weren't evidence tampering with the "lost" report. They didn't lose the report, they just lied about it. Even today, cops are allowed to lie when they are interrogating suspects. They lie about the evidence they have or do not have. The thought is that people aren't going to generally confess to a crime they did not commit. If the cops tell you that they have a witness that saw you commit the crime, if you didn't do it, you will say they are a liar. If you did it, you might confess to get a lesser sentence.

The interrogation "techniques" are wrong and useless. People being beaten often do admit to things they did not do in order to get the beating to stop. Sadly, that was probably a more common technique at the time than it should have been.

I know she is just a minor character, but I really hope that the head hotel lady being such a controlling jerk, means she's going to get her comeuppance somewhere down the line.

I'm kind of hoping her controlling jerkness ends up being helpful. She either foils one of the bad guys with her rules or pushes one out of a window while telling Peggy to go get them. She's kind of fun in an awful way and I want her to stick around. That Houdini story was great and she gives lots of fodder for the other characters to work iwth.

• Love 8
Maybe I missed it, but I was unclear about what happened to the Stark inventions by the end. Does the SSR have them in their custody, or does Leviathan(or whoever shot Peggy's co-worker) have them?

Unless I completely misinterpreted the scene, Jarvis called the SSR guys (Peggy's co-workers) who loaded the stuff on a truck and took it somewhere. 

Did they ever say where Sousa served during the war?  The movie mentions that Peggy's husband was saved by Cap and I get the impression that most of the veterans in the office were off in the Pacific and therefore didn't see her in action.

It's a miracle that muscle guy didn't have to go to the hospital after being whacked in the face by Peggy.

No, I don't believe there has been any specific mention of where Sousa served. But Cap traveled around. He could have saved Sousa (if Sousa is indeed the future Mr. Carter) at some point, though I still think he would have mentioned this to Peggy. "Hey, your friend Capatain America? He saved my life once." As for the guy getting hit in the face, TV and movies are pretty big on ignoring skull trauma except in dramatic instances. 

Also, I hope Peggy's waitress friend is just a friend. It would be somewhat annoying for everyone in her life to be either SSR, working for Stark or evil.

• Love 2

Damn you Agent Carter for making me care about a character played by Kyle Bornheimer.   I've always hated characters played by he and The Chad but on this show I really like(d) their characters.

I really hope Angie isn't working for Stark or Leviathan or anyone else and really just a normal girl, because I want Peggy to have a friend that isn't involved in that life.  

The back and forth over Jarvis' treason charge was fantastic.  Atwell and D'Arcy have some a great rapport.  Other shows often have to spend an entire season to create what these two have done instantaneously and organically.   If the show does come back for another season, it could easily just be these two as regulars going on a different mission every week surrounded by different guest stars to keep costs down.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1

This episode got off to a bit of a slow start, with all the recapping and exposition, but it certainly picked up at the end! Since Agent Carter isn't currently in production anymore, can they PLEASE lend their fight choreographer to Agents of SHIELD?

I think it would be cute if we never actually saw Mrs. Jarvis, but only heard her voice from time to time. It does bother me that there was some tension between Jarvis and Carter, though, because he's a married man. Also, I'm going to be seriously annoyed if this show ever tries giving Peggy a love interest, because I just don't feel like she needs one. It's refreshing to have a female lead without romantic drama.

Not sure why Jarvis and Carter had to strap themselves into safety harnesses in order to lower themselves what looked like maybe 10 feet, though… ;-)

And I love that everyone is immediately jumping on Dottie as being an evil spy. At least that takes some of the heat off Angie, who everyone thought was an evil spy last week! :-D ALL of the supporting characters can't be secret spies!

• Love 4

They weren't evidence tampering with the "lost" report. They didn't lose the report, they just lied about it. Even today, cops are allowed to lie when they are interrogating suspects. They lie about the evidence they have or do not have.

Jarvis filed the stolen car report with the police. Therefore, it wasn't the SSR's report to lose, even though Peggy referred to it that way. It was my impression that the SSR encouraged the police to make the report disappear. That's not just lying. If the file Peggy found was actually the original of the report (which it might not have been), it probably would count as tampering with evidence.

• Love 1
Also, I'm going to be seriously annoyed if this show ever tries giving Peggy a love interest, because I just don't feel like she needs one. It's refreshing to have a female lead without romantic drama.

It's a super hero trope, though, isn't it? Doesn't the hero always have a significant other (often whom they can't be with)? Superman has his Lois. Batman has a string of girlfriends. Spiderman has Gwen and Mary Jane. Even the Hulk had romantic interests. Good heavens, The Thing gets a love interest and I can't even imagine how that works. Peggy can have some Ned Nickerson type who she can send on errands and occasionally save.

Jarvis filed the stolen car report with the police. Therefore, it wasn't the SSR's report to lose, even though Peggy referred to it that way. It was my impression that the SSR encouraged the police to make the report disappear. That's not just lying. If the file Peggy found was actually the original of the report (which it might not have been), it probably would count as tampering with evidence.

At no point did the SSR lose the report or encourage anyone to make it disappear. It was sitting there on the desk in the observation room.  They just told Jarvis it was missing because they were trying to shake his story. If Peggy had rescued the report from the garbage or about to go into the furnace, I would agree that they were trying to tamper. They were just lying.

They correctly ascertained that the stolen car report was bogus and were trying to shake Jarvis's story. If anybody is tampering with the evidence, it is Jarvis. In hindsight, they shouldn't have played the "lost report" gambit on him because Peggy spoiled it, they should have just stuck with how convenient it was that the report was made after the car was involved in a factory explosion.

Edited by kili
  • Love 1

I'm kind of hoping her controlling jerkness ends up being helpful. She either foils one of the bad guys with her rules or pushes one out of a window while telling Peggy to go get them. She's kind of fun in an awful way and I want her to stick around. That Houdini story was great and she gives lots of fodder for the other characters to work iwth.

I agree. While she's incredibly strict and her mores seem absolutely archaic by today's standards, I really do think she's trying to provide a safe space for the women at the hotel at a time when women had very few safe spaces. Yes, it was super-annoying that her ultimate approval of Peggy was based on Peggy's "desire" to get married. But I find the character to be an interesting example of the tension at the time between society's desire for women to continue to fulfill traditional gender roles and the empowerment that women embraced while they were basically keeping the nation going. She believes in those traditional roles but acknowledges the importance of women as capable and independent people (well, until they find the right guy). Plus, the actress has a sharpness to her that I find immensely appealing, even if there are times that I want to roll my eyes at the character.

Edited by kennyab
  • Love 13