Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we acknowledge the advantages some groups have because of their backgrounds, and work on creating a more aware and understanding relationship with them?

• Start Topic

I'm excited for Halloween this year. I moved onto "Trick or Treat Street", where basically everybody in my town brings their kids. I'm prepared for 200 ToTers. My nephew is coming to help decorate the porch and hand out snacks.

My Halloween-related peeve is the trend lately to make ToT** two nights, or a different night than the 31st. I object to the first because - as excited as I am - I don't want two nights of it. And I object to the second because how do you make sure EVERYBODY in town knows? So you do it on the 30th, but in reality, you also have to be somewhat prepared for people coming on the 31st. Or worry some sad new kid didn't get the memo.

I'm sorry, but if you're too busy with other fun plans on the 31st to ToT, maybe skip ToT for the year? Or go before/after? It just seems incredibly ballsy to think everyone needs to bend to your schedule. Where I live, there are probably a hundred Trunk or Treat community events other nights. Your kid will still get candy. 

**I'm just referring to the random, door-to-door trick or treating. Trunk or treats or other Halloween parties... do what you like. 

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I will not be carving a pumpkin.
Back in my pumpkin carving days I always felt I needed to follow the typical jack-o'-lantern formula with the triangle eyes. Sometimes I deviated a bit, but not much.
But if I was going to carve a pumpkin nowadays --in these oh, so, trying times-- I would feel free to try something else, even if, like a costume I made myself in middle school, people looked at it and asked what it (I) was supposed to be.
IDK. Maybe a flower design?
But I think the triangle eyes are because they're easy to do.
Maybe a design with just triangles?

The only progress I've made so far, is getting the tops off. :) I have my printouts, but a flower design sounds cute. 

I usually shower, make tea, etc, before I try anything like this, but I decided to do the messy stuff before showering. I'm making tea now, hopefully that will wake me up a bit.

9 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I'm excited for Halloween this year. I moved onto "Trick or Treat Street", where basically everybody in my town brings their kids. I'm prepared for 200 ToTers. My nephew is coming to help decorate the porch and hand out snacks.

My Halloween-related peeve is the trend lately to make ToT** two nights, or a different night than the 31st. I object to the first because - as excited as I am - I don't want two nights of it. And I object to the second because how do you make sure EVERYBODY in town knows? So you do it on the 30th, but in reality, you also have to be somewhat prepared for people coming on the 31st. Or worry some sad new kid didn't get the memo.

I'm sorry, but if you're too busy with other fun plans on the 31st to ToT, maybe skip ToT for the year? Or go before/after? It just seems incredibly ballsy to think everyone needs to bend to your schedule. Where I live, there are probably a hundred Trunk or Treat community events other nights. Your kid will still get candy. 

**I'm just referring to the random, door-to-door trick or treating. Trunk or treats or other Halloween parties... do what you like. 

My town has always done it the Saturday before. It is messed up that they've made it a day earlier than that, because of a football game (that's never happened before). I'm in several local groups, and people are still trying to verify which day is for their neighbourhood. 

I need to get offline again, and make my tea. I'm procrastinating too much. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1

Oh, I do have a peeve from this morning: a local threatening a thief, with their cameras and a 9mm. The post was removed, but someone else mentioned that it was over a stolen pumpkin. Too many people around here, think that every problem can be solved with a gun. 

• Love 1

I find the idea of trick-or-treating on a night other than Halloween odd.  A Halloween party on the closest Saturday, sure.  But I've never seen kids wandering door to door on any night other than 10/31.  I'd just love to see some kid ring my bell tomorrow night and beg for candy.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

It's so sweet of you to mention this, @ABay! I'm really glad you like the feeder pole. We like ours, too, even though the squirrels may hate it. (They get fed in other ways.) That's the best squirrel baffle we've ever found, and we love that there are lots of arms to hang feeders from.

Can't wait to see the photos! Very happy to have been of help.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Dear gods, I just spent the better part of my afternoon attempting to make my air fryer basket look new again. I failed. I love my air fryer but they are so hard and tedious to clean!

Re. bird feeders, I finally broke down and got a seed catcher and it’s not too aesthetically pleasing but it’s helping keep my tiny balcony clean (you’d think it being tiny would make it easier to keep clean but no; with the table and chairs, there’s no range of motion when I sweep it!). But why they don’t just make the feeder with a seed catcher?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I screwed up both pumpkins. I drank my tea, woke up, finally got into a zone with one of them, as I listened to a show on my headphones, and then the internet went out. So I was trying to get that working again, and I messed up with both, somehow. I'll just link to them - one wasn't a stencil, but I thought I had it worked out in my head. I cut a chunk out wrong, because I lost my focus: https://www.donvitodesign.store/marvel-avengers/wandavision/agnes-harkness-winking-svg-dxf-png-wandavision-witch-cut-file-cricut-silhouette-vector-clipart-t-shirt-design-marvel-tv-show-svg/ I had resized it, and asked my dad to print it out for me.

The other one looked easy, but the pumpkin was really thick, and I messed up his head: https://decider.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/groot.pdf

I've been so depressed, but had relaxed over the past week, and wanted to just do something light. I thought the kids would like it, too. Look at this little guy:

Anyway, I'm taking both pumpkins up the back of the garden, so that the deer, groundhogs, raccoons, can have them. The raccoons get all of my cooking failures.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Anela said:

I screwed up both pumpkins. I drank my tea, woke up, finally got into a zone with one of them, as I listened to a show on my headphones, and then the internet went out. So I was trying to get that working again, and I messed up with both, somehow. I'll just link to them - one wasn't a stencil, but I thought I had it worked out in my head. I cut a chunk out wrong, because I lost my focus: https://www.donvitodesign.store/marvel-avengers/wandavision/agnes-harkness-winking-svg-dxf-png-wandavision-witch-cut-file-cricut-silhouette-vector-clipart-t-shirt-design-marvel-tv-show-svg/ I had resized it, and asked my dad to print it out for me.

The other one looked easy, but the pumpkin was really thick, and I messed up his head: https://decider.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/groot.pdf

I've been so depressed, but had relaxed over the past week, and wanted to just do something light. I thought the kids would like it, too. Look at this little guy:

Anyway, I'm taking both pumpkins up the back of the garden, so that the deer, groundhogs, raccoons, can have them. The raccoons get all of my cooking failures.

And *That,* children, is why Jack-o-lanterns have triangle eyes. 🎃

</end of fable>

• LOL 9
16 minutes ago, Anela said:

The raccoons get all of my cooking failures.

If the raccoons aren't properly grateful, I'd be happy to have their share.

Our favorite jack-o'-lantern was a guy we called Mr. Silverman, the Cross-Dressing Pumpkin. He was almost no work at all. I cut out his eyes using an apple corer. I cut his mouth deliberately cock-eyed so he looked like he was sneering. I bought a cheap blond wig and plopped it on his head and stuck a big cigar in his mouth. We admired him till he rotted away on his plate. Sometimes it's just the idea that counts, and the hell with the execution.  🎃

I'm sure the kids would've loved your imperfect pumpkins anyway, @Anela.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

OK a new and annoying pet peeve a commercial/ad comes on  that has Siri say something..it activates my Siri on my laptop. And "she" asks what I want...,
Go away!  I don't want to interact with Siri...Just go away!!! This is invasive and annoying!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

OK a new and annoying pet peeve a commercial/ad comes on  that has Siri say something..it activates my Siri on my laptop. And "she" asks what I want...,
Go away!  I don't want to interact with Siri...Just go away!!! This is invasive and annoying!

Every time I’m asked to set up Siri I select “later” and then never do it.  I don’t want to talk to my phones / tablets / computers / television / etc and get a reply.  I have been known to threaten some devices with terrible tortures when they refuse to behave (mainly sewing machines and computers) but I don’t want them answering back.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Anela said:

Oh, I do have a peeve from this morning: a local threatening a thief, with their cameras and a 9mm. The post was removed, but someone else mentioned that it was over a stolen pumpkin. Too many people around here, think that every problem can be solved with a gun. 

20 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Aka, the tagline for virtually almost every episode of the show "Fear Thy Neighbor". 

Nextdoor, and the Ring doorbell comment section are awful. Every post is "OMG this person I wasn't expecting rang my bell" (did you consider it was a solicitor or person who made a mistake), or "OMG this person that doesn't live in the neighborhood was walking on the side walk looking lost" (did you consider it was a visitor trying to find a house?), or, my favorite "someone just tried to get in my house using a key, when they couldn't get in they left" posted with a video of someone who was obviously at the wrong door. I live very close to the Braves stadium and they do fireworks on Friday. So every Friday is "did anyone else hear gun shots?" when it's obviously fireworks.

---

The building fire alarm went off just before 8am today. Woke me up from a dead sleep. I was so out of it I was trying to turn off my fire alarms before I realized it was the building. So I called 911 and went outside. My kitties were under the bed, thankfully it wasn't a real fire. I have no idea how I'd be able to get them out in a real emergency.

So I ran outside from my nice warm house and while I was talking with my neighbors I started getting a serious tickle in my throat from the temperature change. It feels like there is something in my throat I can't get rid of. Meh. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

So I ran outside from my nice warm house and while I was talking with my neighbors I started getting a serious tickle in my throat from the temperature change. It feels like there is something in my throat I can't get rid of. Meh.

Assuming it's beyond the "get a drink of water" stage, I really like Traditional Medicinals' "Throat Coat" tea. It looks like they have it at Target and Walmart nowadays. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Assuming it's beyond the "get a drink of water" stage, I really like Traditional Medicinals' "Throat Coat" tea. It looks like they have it at Target and Walmart nowadays. 

Thank you. I'm trying my "go-to" of hot Dr. Pepper with some lemon but if that doesn't help I'll look for that tea when I go to Target.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I have no idea how I'd be able to get them out in a real emergency.

That occurred to me the other day. How DO you get your cats out in an emergency? Mine hide at the top shelf in my closet during loud noises like building alarms of fireworks. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Heh.  I read @supposebly's post, then apparently skipped the quoted part of @Mondrianyone's, leading me to briefly think that zinc lozenges were the way to get your cats out of the house in an emergency.

Took me a minute too. I'm picturing myself trying to get hold of my crazed cats during some kind of emergency and endeavoring to shove zinc lozenges down their gullets. Oh, the blood.

• LOL 9
47 minutes ago, supposebly said:

How DO you get your cats out in an emergency? Mine hide at the top shelf in my closet during loud noises like building alarms of fireworks. 

That seems easier for catnapping (pun) than under the bed.

It's been many years since I've had a cat, but I'm wondering if you might get a cat carrier and a pop-top of tuna handy for the next wild fire, flood, tornado, etc.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

That occurred to me the other day. How DO you get your cats out in an emergency?

When my carbon monoxide detector went off and I had to get Riley out (thankfully, I have a game room attached to my garage, both of which are detached from the house, so I was able to safely stash her there while I found and disabled the problem, and then we hung out there while the house aired out), she dove under the bed, but thankfully where I could just reach a paw and pull.  Not something I'd normally do, of course, but it was necessary under the circumstances and she forgot all about it in short order.

Once before that, when she didn't want to go to the vet and had placed herself under the bed far more strategically (since she was hiding from me, not a piercing sound), I'd had to move the bed around until she ran out and I cornered her at the closed door.  If I hadn't been able to reach her, I'd have done that again, only swifter and scarier (short-term emotional trauma trumps long-term physical safety). 

3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Nextdoor, and the Ring doorbell comment section are awful. Every post is "OMG this person I wasn't expecting rang my bell" (did you consider it was a solicitor or person who made a mistake), or "OMG this person that doesn't live in the neighborhood was walking on the side walk looking lost" (did you consider it was a visitor trying to find a house?), or, my favorite "someone just tried to get in my house using a key, when they couldn't get in they left" posted with a video of someone who was obviously at the wrong door. I live very close to the Braves stadium and they do fireworks on Friday. So every Friday is "did anyone else hear gun shots?" when it's obviously fireworks.

Ugh, yes - Nextdoor.  I'm still on it, because I like reading neighbors' feedback on new (or new-to-me) local restaurants, bars, shops, etc. and I want to read about lost and found pets, but the "Safety" section confirms why I will never, ever have anything to do with a "neighborhood watch" group.  Adding to your list, "There's a car I don't recognize parked across the street."  Fool, it's a public fucking street.  Why have you memorized all your neighbors' cars to begin with, but setting that aside, just because no one ever comes to visit your paranoid ass doesn't mean none of your neighbors have guests.

Add in the vitriol towards the unhoused members of the community, reciting "call the police" as the solution to every.little.thing, getting the vapors when a new bar is announced (because the streets will be littered with the corpses of drunk driving victims, and won't someone think of the children?!), and the racism they make minimal effort to hide behind code words, and it's incredibly disheartening.  They're a vocal minority, and get told about themselves a lot, but it's still disgusting to see how many of them there are.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Once before that, when she didn't want to go to the vet and had placed herself under the bed far more strategically (since she was hiding from me, not a piercing sound), I'd had to move the bed around until she ran out and I cornered her at the closed door.  If I hadn't been able to reach her, I'd have done that again, only swifter and scarier (short-term emotional trauma trumps long-term physical safety). 

Oh, yes, I can see that being me while the fire alarm is blaring and I'm trying to get me and my cats out of the building from the 9th floor. Just instead of under the bed, it's me trying to get them out of the closet while I'm standing on a chair. And then into the carrier, which they still eye susiciously since the last vet visit. I'm starting to think getting singed and a bit of smoke inhalation might not be worse than the claw marks in my face and all over my body. Also, by the time I get the cats in the carrier, it might be too late for us anyway. 

1 minute ago, supposebly said:

And then into the carrier, which they still eye susiciously since the last vet visit. I'm starting to think getting singed and a bit of smoke inhalation might not be worse than the claw marks in my face and all over my body.

I've read a surprising number of people having luck with a pillowcase.  I'd think it would be even harder to wrangle a fighting cat into a pillowcase than a carrier, but - living where there's an annual fire season - I always come across stories of someone who grabbed their cat with a pillowcase between their hands and the cat, somehow just flicked, shook, something, and the cat fell into/got tangled up in the case (I mean, I get the adrenaline rush thing, but this works?!) and then they transferred that covered bundle into the carrier.

Now, I have also seen with my own eyes people walking out of fire zones with cats in pillowcases instead of carriers, so I'm not dismissing it out of hand, and, again, emergency situations yield creative results, but I'm still kind of flabbergasted by the logistics.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I always come across stories of someone who grabbed their cat with a pillowcase between their hands and the cat, somehow just flicked, shook, something, and the cat fell into/got tangled up in the case

I think my cats might be so shocked I would do something like this, they might just relent and go limp in the pillowcase. 😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

With my semi-feral boys, I would herd them into a room, close the door, put their open carriers on the floor, and then move around until they went into the carriers to get away from me. Not really practical if the house is burning down, but it worked for vet visits. I also had a fishing net that I mostly used to prod them out of hiding places in other rooms.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

When my carbon monoxide detector went off and I had to get Riley out (thankfully, I have a game room attached to my garage, both of which are detached from the house, so I was able to safely stash her there while I found and disabled the problem, and then we hung out there while the house aired out), she dove under the bed, but thankfully where I could just reach a paw and pull.  Not something I'd normally do, of course, but it was necessary under the circumstances and she forgot all about it in short order.

Ugh, yes - Nextdoor.  I'm still on it, because I like reading neighbors' feedback on new (or new-to-me) local restaurants, bars, shops, etc. and I want to read about lost and found pets, but the "Safety" section confirms why I will never, ever have anything to do with a "neighborhood watch" group.  Adding to your list, "There's a car I don't recognize parked across the street."  Fool, it's a public fucking street.  Why have you memorized all your neighbors' cars to begin with, but setting that aside, just because no one ever comes to visit your paranoid ass doesn't mean none of your neighbors have guests.

Add in the vitriol towards the unhoused members of the community, reciting "call the police" as the solution to every.little.thing, getting the vapors when a new bar is announced (because the streets will be littered with the corpses of drunk driving victims, and won't someone think of the children?!), and the racism they make minimal effort to hide behind code words, and it's incredibly disheartening.  They're a vocal minority, and get told about themselves a lot, but it's still disgusting to see how many of them there are.

I signed up for Next Door in my dad's neighborhood when I was selling his house, just to get the lay of the land, as it were. I still gt updates and it's exactly as you say. The racism, antipathy towards the homeless and "strange" cars and people is off the charts. There is a bit of a Battle Royale going on in there right now between the sane people and the retirees, who have nothing better to do than stare out the window and judge. There has been a lot of politicking going on pushing certain NIMBY candidates who have tried to take over the whole thing. I contribute with upvotes and that's about the entire scope of my participation. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, supposebly said:

That occurred to me the other day. How DO you get your cats out in an emergency? Mine hide at the top shelf in my closet during loud noises like building alarms of fireworks. 

My cat always hides when the doorbell rings. Last year, at the beginning of the pandemic when we were all at home, we had an emergency at our builing, because the neighbours upstairs were installing air conditioning and someone cut the gas pipe, so we all had to go out just in case, until it was fixed. The cat of course hid at the worst place, behind big, heavy cabinets in our living room that are never moved. I hysterically searched for her, asked my father who doesn't do anything usefull all day, where she is. He said he doesn't know, so I screamed a bunch of profanities at him and then managed to singlehandedly move two cabinets, which I never would have dreamed of moving under normal circumstances. I found the scared cat, my mother thankfully just came with the bag that we use to take her to the vet and we managed to get her in it and go outside. Apparently, I have some maternal insticts after all, they are just directed at cats. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

Every time I’m asked to set up Siri I select “later” and then never do it.  I don’t want to talk to my phones / tablets / computers / television / etc and get a reply.  I have been known to threaten some devices with terrible tortures when they refuse to behave (mainly sewing machines and computers) but I don’t want them answering back.

When I ask for Siri, she doesn’t answer. One time I tried to get Siri to activate to know avail, I dropped my phone and said “dam#$ it” Siri replied, “language Stats Queen” language. I yelled I was cussing at you Siri.

10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I once asked someone, "Are you serious?" and Siri activated.  

Siri never responds to me but randomly gets activated when I’m in my car.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ABay said:

With my semi-feral boys, I would herd them into a room, close the door, put their open carriers on the floor, and then move around until they went into the carriers to get away from me.

Reminder to self - always scroll UP to the last message you've read to avoid confusion.  For a minute there I thought you were talking about your sons!!!!

• LOL 9

I have a Tempurpedic bed. That fucker is HEAVY. If needed I could slide it off the platform and then move the platforms and shove them in to a carrier. The circuit in the fire panel is bad and the fire department said it could go off again, so yay anxiety about sleeping tonight!

1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

Reminder to self - always scroll UP to the last message you've read to avoid confusion.  For a minute there I thought you were talking about your sons!!!!

I did too! I had a quick vision of OTT wild kids running amok...until I got to the part of the carriers 🎃😸😆

• LOL 3
10 hours ago, supposebly said:

It’s my fucking nightmare (and a huge, recurring OCD/intrusive thoughts issue). I have already told my BF that if they don’t get out, neither do I!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

My 7 yard tigers (all gray tiger cats) are all ferrals, in case of fire/emergency I think they would be long gone before I even got out the door!  These cats climb trees, go onto the roof of my garage, over the fence into the neighbor's yard, etc..  I would be incredibly sad to lose any of them, but I think they can really fend for themselves if need be for a while. They know this is home and where they will be fed 3X a day so they will come back. 

My heart was broken a couple years ago when I lost my sweet rescue Baby Boo and I really just can't bring 7 cats into my house. They are well fed and watered and I am making a shelter for the Winter for them. Fire season is done for us here it is just the cold of Winter...they do huddle together to keep warm under the deck...

• Love 6
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

We called the emergency line for the HoA who was supposed to call the vendor but I have no idea if anyone came out today and now I'm super anxious the alarm is going to go off again. 

It sucks when shit like this happens on a weekend, especially.  I hope your sleep is undisturbed tonight.

Once on vacation, I was awakened at an unholy hour by the hotel's fire alarm going off.  Everyone evacuated, and stood outside for awhile before it was confirmed to be a false alarm and we were let back in.  I went back to bed, and had just fallen back asleep when it went off again.  Figuring the odds it was real this time were extremely low, I just put the pillow over my head and ignored it.  I couldn't fall back asleep until it went off, but at least I was in bed the whole time.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

My heart was broken a couple years ago when I lost my sweet rescue Baby Boo and I really just can't bring 7 cats into my house. They are well fed and watered and I am making a shelter for the Winter for them. Fire season is done for us here it is just the cold of Winter...they do huddle together to keep warm under the deck...

Is there a shelter or local group who can spay the females? These cats are lucky that you care for them (on their terms 😼). 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is there a shelter or local group who can spay the females? These cats are lucky that you care for them (on their terms 😼). 

They should all be neutered, not just the females. The males, if left unaltered will fight and could become badly injured.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

Yes, this has been asked multiple times, but I'm not sure where things stand - have you, @Gramto6, found a local TNR organization to help you get everyone fixed so you can continue to care for the colony without it expanding exponentially?

I know such resources aren't abundant anywhere, given the scope of the problem, and are scarce in some regions, so if you're still in need of help I hope you'll reach out so local posters or those further afield but with contacts can help you and the kitties stem this tide.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Once on vacation, I was awakened at an unholy hour by the hotel's fire alarm going off.  Everyone evacuated, and stood outside for awhile before it was confirmed to be a false alarm and we were let back in.  I went back to bed, and had just fallen back asleep when it went off again.  Figuring the odds it was real this time were extremely low, I just put the pillow over my head and ignored it.  I couldn't fall back asleep until it went off, but at least I was in bed the whole time.

Reminds me of my college dorm! We never saw fire trucks and noticed that the RAs seldom went outside, so we assumed it was a ploy to collect fines from people who said fuck it and also didn’t leave.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yes, this has been asked multiple times, but I'm not sure where things stand - have you, @Gramto6, found a local TNR organization to help you get everyone fixed so you can continue to care for the colony without it expanding exponentially?

I live in the boonies in Montana. I have been trying to find a TNR resource but nothing anywhere near to me. I did manage to catch one and get it a home, but now they scatter whenever I even go out to feed them. I think they got traumatised by the cries of the one I caught. I'm working on it...I just know I can't afford using the vet to get them all fixed.

16 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I live in the boonies in Montana. I have been trying to find a TNR resource but nothing anywhere near to me. I did manage to catch one and get it a home, but now they scatter whenever I even go out to feed them. I think they got traumatised by the cries of the one I caught. I'm working on it...I just know I can't afford using the vet to get them all fixed.

We just had our kitten spayed. I couldn't believe it - $275.00. So yeah, that could get pretty spendy.

• Love 1

I was in a hotel in Boston about 30 years ago on a work trip when the fire alarm went off about 2:30 am.  There was a loudspeaker announcement which was just a bunch of static.  I had no idea if they were saying false alarm, stay where you are, or RUN!  I got up, pulled on some clothes, grabbed my purse & briefcase, threw on my coat and walked down 7 flights of stairs, and stood shivering in the parking lot - did I mention it was January? -  while the fire department dealt with a small fire contained to a room on the 20th floor.  We were not allowed back to our rooms for over 90 minutes.  I was not at my best at the meeting I had at 8:00 am.

PP: random, painful zits. Not a little whitehead, but one of those deep under the skin raised bumps that hurts. I’m almost 50, why does this still happen to me?! (I’m so grateful to the person who created zit stickers.)

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

PP: random, painful zits. Not a little whitehead, but one of those deep under the skin raised bumps that hurts. I’m almost 50, why does this still happen to me?! (I’m so grateful to the person who created zit stickers.)

Ugh, they're the worst! I still deal with some acne, but I very rarely get anything cystic since taking spironolactone.

I'm so grateful for the drug, but I do have some pet peeves about it, itself. It causes more frequent urination and makes my stomach more sensitive. I keep telling myself I'll clean up my diet so I won't have to take it anymore. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

This may not seem like much, but I too had those cystic pimples (and my mom too) until about 10 years after the beginning of menopause, and now I don't. 
It's so nice now that I'm in my late 60s to not have to wear makeup to hide anything. 
I wish I could go back and tell my younger self that I should not feel guilty for having them. (Mom used to say if I'd leave my skin alone I wouldn't have them.)

Since the pandemic I do get an occasional zit--especially if I don't wash my masks after wearing for a while--but my skin is so thin now that they don't fester below the surface.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know such resources aren't abundant anywhere, given the scope of the problem, and are scarce in some regions, so if you're still in need of help I hope you'll reach out so local posters or those further afield but with contacts can help you and the kitties stem this tide.

2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Try calling this chapter of Best Friends Animal Society. They may not be near you (I have no idea where you live) but they may be able to help find a place closer to you, or information on financial assistance.

https://bestfriends.org/our-work/supporting-network-partners/mission-valley-animal-shelter

• Useful 1
  • Love 2