Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 10/14/2021 at 8:10 PM, bilgistic said:

You should've seen the horror on my face when I read this. We need air conditioning in March here in NC. We basically have maybe six weeks of "winter", which is maybe the end of December through the middle of February. There's one ice storm somewhere in there, and we're done.

That's just like Texas!

• Love 1

Boy, I've been reading that prices are going to go up because of this whole supply-chain snafu, but I just got my first taste of the reality of it.

I've been doing curbside grocery pickup because we don't have any supermarkets that'll deliver to our neck of the woods (and I do mean woods), and I plan to keep doing it that way till this is all over. So I keep a running list of items online, and I add to it whenever I think of a new thing we need and then do a pickup once a month or so. Today I went to add burger buns, and I thought I'd try getting potato buns--I've been hearing that the Martin's brand is particularly good. Well, Martin's buns (that sounds very personal!) are apparently sold only in two-packs of 12 buns each. And the current price is . . . drumroll . . . $22.99 for two packs. That's $11.50 per bag of buns. Yikes!

And Parmalat, that shelf-stable milk that I keep on hand for when milk runs out and I don't feel like driving an hour round-trip, isn't available at all. So everyone else is clearly stocking up. Good thing we've got enough toilet paper for a family of ten.

Is anybody else seeing this or have I just been asleep for the past month? I'm afraid to look at the rest of the list.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Is anybody else seeing this or have I just been asleep for the past month? I'm afraid to look at the rest of the list.

I haven't noticed a huge jump in any one item - but definitely overall I am spending more on gas and on groceries.  What I am definitely noticing in terms of supply-chain is that the furniture I thought I could just go out and buy - as you do - I will have to order and may wait 4 to 6 months for.  Never had this happen before!

• Useful 2

Yes I am feeling obtuse lately because I just noticed the supply chain issue also.  I order from Whole Foods/Amazon groceries sometimes to get certain foods I like and for a long time I've been eating these Kerrygold Dubliner cheese wedges (with Norwegian Sigdal crisps) for lunch every day.  All of a sudden they are totally gone.  Everywhere.  I even tried to post a question about it on Amazon but it hasn't appeared.   I wonder if they are gone for good or is there just an import issue (though other Kerrygold cheeses are easy to find).

• Useful 2

Oh, Optimum—the peevishly perfect irony of, against my better judgment, clicking on the button that says “upgrades and offers” (even though I am already paying out the ass for crap service) only to wait for MINUTES for it to load — which it still has not. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, Optimum—the peevishly perfect irony of, against my better judgment, clicking on the button that says “upgrades and offers” (even though I am already paying out the ass for crap service) only to wait for MINUTES for it to load — which it still has not. 

Yeah but my kitten is watching bird videos on my phone on YouTube right now so technology is the bestest.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Fitting rooms being closed. Very annoying. I don’t like purchasing clothes without trying them on. 

I haven’t been to a clothing store since pre-pandemic, but what’s the point of the store being open if the dressing room’s not?  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, partofme said:
17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Fitting rooms being closed. Very annoying. I don’t like purchasing clothes without trying them on. 

I haven’t been to a clothing store since pre-pandemic, but what’s the point of the store being open if the dressing room’s not?  

I can't imagine the fitting rooms still being closed. Early in the pandemic when it wasn't yet known that it spread through the air and not via contact, that made sense.

Hrmmm. Maybe it's because the employees would have to get in a small, not-socially-distanced space to check on would-be shoplifters? Or just to clean out the rooms of cast off clothes?

Until I retired, I spent a great deal of time in clothing stores. Sometimes I would take several sizes home to try on and then used the excuse of having to return most (if not all) later as a reason to enjoy more shopping. 

Don't get me wrong. I spent many many hours in many many fitting rooms too.

But sometimes I preferred to slide things on over my clothes in front of the many mirrors in the stores. 
Of course, as a librarian, I was often buying sweaters and blazers, and in the Chicago area, lots of coats and jackets. 

Edited by shapeshifter
On 10/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, shapeshifter said:

I can't imagine the fitting rooms still being closed. Early in the pandemic when it wasn't yet known that it spread through the air and not via contact, that made sense.

Hrmmm. Maybe it's because the employees would have to get in a small, not-socially-distanced space to check on would-be shoplifters? Or just to clean out the rooms of cast off clothes?

On 10/22/2021 at 11:19 PM, RealHousewife said:

I went shopping with my daughter earlier this summer when Covid #'s were down and restrictions were relaxed. My daughter was shopping for a dress for an upcoming wedding so we went to 3 or 4 different stores within the mall and only one store had their dressing rooms open. It was extremely frustrating. The one that had the open dressing rooms had every other one open, so instead of 5 dressing rooms there were 3 available, which was ridiculous since the rooms had floor-to-ceiling walls so you weren't going to get any 'transfer' air. I think it more had to do with having an employee come in and wipe down the rooms in between use but it was still a huge inconvenience.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:20 PM, shapeshifter said:

Until I retired, I spent a great deal of time in clothing stores. Sometimes I would take several sizes home to try on and then used the excuse of having to return most (if not all) later as a reason to enjoy more shopping. 

I mostly order on-line, I  will order an item in 2 or sometimes 3 sizes and then return the one(s) that didn't fit. That return system is so much easier than having to go to the store, stand in line, waiting for the clerk to type 50,0000 things into the computer, scan your items, print your receipt, have you sign before you get your money back. 

Edited by BexKeps
  • Love 6

Speaking of ordering clothes online, I am not sure what is going on with Land's End.  I have had to return my last two orders, first of pants and a skirt, then of two long sleeved shirts, because they were so oversized that I did not even try them on.  I  realize that there is an obesity issue in this country and I feel for those who live with it, but size 14 should still be size 14, not size 2X.  I don't get it.

• Love 4
On 10/25/2021 at 2:19 PM, roseha said:

Speaking of ordering clothes online, I am not sure what is going on with Land's End.  I have had to return my last two orders, first of pants and a skirt, then of two long sleeved shirts, because they were so oversized that I did not even try them on.  I  realize that there is an obesity issue in this country and I feel for those who live with it, but size 14 should still be size 14, not size 2X.  I don't get it.

Vanity sizing is getting crazier and crazier by the day.  All in the name of making people feel better.  How long before someone like me has to buy 0000000 - if that'll even exist?  Shoes aren't great either.  In high school, I was wearing a 5.  Now?  I'm taking kids' sizes half the time and dress shoes are mostly MIA for me.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I have youtube on my tv. I put on dog tv for little dogs.

We tried a YouTube kittens-in-a-basket video once for our cat, and we'll never do it again. It's a large-screen TV, so the video cats are life-size. First she jumped on the cabinet that the TV sits on to stare at them up close. We thought that was cute. Then she went around to the back of the TV and tried seeing if she could get in with them that way. We thought that was sweet but obviously frustrating for her.  Then she came back around to the front and started butting her head against the screen and crying. So it went from funny to heartbreaking in about a minute.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

We tried a YouTube kittens-in-a-basket video once for our cat, and we'll never do it again. It's a large-screen TV, so the video cats are life-size. First she jumped on the cabinet that the TV sits on to stare at them up close. We thought that was cute. Then she went around to the back of the TV and tried seeing if she could get in with them that way. We thought that was sweet but obviously frustrating for her.  Then she came back around to the front and started butting her head against the screen and crying. So it went from funny to heartbreaking in about a minute.

image.png.6b396d39d9fdd2d38d041aedbbb8d18e.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I really hate when I have a super-slow workweek until Thursday late afternoon and then end up working late on Friday, 4 hours on Saturday, and rack up 22 hours the following Monday and Tuesday (meaning today—I’m still logged in at 10:30pm)!

• Love 2

Not dressing up for Halloween!

Maybe it's because I didn't get to celebrate Halloween much as a kid or younger adult. I want to celebrate it now, but most of my family and friends aren't into dressing up. Even when there's no pandemic, we don't often do more than watch Halloween movies. The costumes are the funnest part! I wish I had an excuse to get a silly costume.

• Love 3

I have never dressed up for Halloween other than as a grade school kid and once as a young teenager.  I don't think it's dumb for adults to do so, but it holds zero appeal for me.  If I get invited to a costume party, I decline.

I liked wearing a costume each year in elementary school, because we had an afternoon-long carnival and it was fun to play games while everyone was in costume (and my mom always made me one, so I was in haute couture rather than off the rack <g>), and I carved a jack o' lantern (in the same basic design every year because I have no drawing ability) back then, but I didn't go trick-or-treating (I went once, thought it was dumb, and didn't do it again) and I've never given out candy to trick-or-treaters.  I was only mildly a Halloween person as a kid, and not at all after that.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Not dressing up for Halloween!

Maybe it's because I didn't get to celebrate Halloween much as a kid or younger adult. I want to celebrate it now, but most of my family and friends aren't into dressing up. Even when there's no pandemic, we don't often do more than watch Halloween movies. The costumes are the funnest part! I wish I had an excuse to get a silly costume.

Do it anyway!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I liked wearing a costume each year in elementary school, because we had an afternoon-long carnival and it was fun to play games while everyone was in costume (and my mom always made me one, so I was in haute couture rather than off the rack <g>)

That's a great memory! I made my kids' costumes too, but only spent an hour or 2 on all 3 of them on the day of with scrounged materials, so I don't think they were particularly proud of them. This is the only picture I have digitized at the moment; everything else is packed for my next move on Thursday:

image.png.52817881f00611202809c45647632134.png

• Love 10
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That's a great memory! I made my kids' costumes too, but only spent an hour or 2 on all 3 of them on the day of with scrounged materials, so I don't think they were particularly proud of them. This is the only picture I have digitized at the moment; everything else is packed for my next move on Thursday:

My son was always a zombie. Every year, a zombie.

• LOL 8
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Aw, such cuties!!! I love old pictures. You did a great job on the costumes.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My son was always a zombie. Every year, a zombie.

And my son was Anakin Skywalker for ten years...now he is always a Sith Lord (he just went to a pre-Halloween party on Saturday evening and when I asked him what costume he had chosen, he said....what do you think? LOL!). Some people just internalized Star Wars I guess :)

and my peeve is that we don't get any trick or treaters in my neighborhood because it is an over 55 community and 90% of the people don't want to be bothered so they turn their outside lights off and families don't come by...I love seeing the kids in costume and giving them sugary crap once a year.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Not taking the kiddo out this year.  They're saying it's fine, but kids are also not encouraged to shot "trick or treat!" Ummm, what's the point then?  It's not "zombie or treat!"  And as if kids AREN'T going to say anything.  Anyway, kiddo is 3 so it's not like he really knows what it is.  Though it's possible other kids from preschool will talk about it on Monday and he'd be like "I didn't get anything."  At least he has a bat hoodie to wear to school!  We have a box of fun sized treats at home though  Good thing we live in a condo.  Any kids in our building have to go out to neighbouring houses for candy anyway. 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, isalicat said:

90% of the people don't want to be bothered so they turn their outside lights off

That's me.  As I said, I only went trick-or-treating once as a kid, so I don't feel any "well, it's my turn to give back" obligation.  I don't like being around children and I don't like being interrupted by a damn doorbell all night, so the porch light is off.

There's a section of several blocks near me that goes absolutely nuts at Halloween (pretty much all the houses are decorated to the nines; some people put up really cool and creative displays [that part of Halloween I like, looking at the decorated houses on my nightly walks], especially those working in TV/movies who borrow props and equipment), so I don't think many kids beg for candy trick-or-treat on my street anyway - I never see any when I look out - they just walk my street on their way to the party zone. 

I would be so pissed if I bought a house on one of those blocks without knowing about this madhouse tradition (there are hundreds of people); what an unpleasant surprise that first - and last - Halloween there would have been.  I was ticked enough when I went for my nightly walk my first Halloween in the neighborhood and encountered that madness, and all I was doing was crossing that street.

Thankfully, last year a lot of people were smart enough to stay home, but I expect it will be big yet not quite as big this year.  I will be happily ensconced in my house, watching football. 

• Love 2

I'm just seething right now.  I've been on hold most of the day (not continuously but for at least 45 minutes to an hour every time I tried) trying to update information for my Dad with his insurance company.  Lucky we weren't trying to make a claim or something!  Their office is open by appointment only so the only way to do anything is by phone - you can leave an email request on their website as well and supposedly they will call back.  I say supposedly because that's what I did yesterday.  No response so far.  They are very close to losing a customer right now.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's me.  As I said, I only went trick-or-treating once as a kid, so I don't feel any "well, it's my turn to give back" obligation.  I don't like being around children and I don't like being interrupted by a damn doorbell all night, so the porch light is off.

There's a section of several blocks near me that goes absolutely nuts at Halloween (pretty much all the houses are decorated to the nines; some people put up really cool and creative displays [that part of Halloween I like, looking at the decorated houses on my nightly walks], especially those working in TV/movies who borrow props and equipment), so I don't think many kids beg for candy trick-or-treat on my street anyway - I never see any when I look out - they just walk my street on their way to the party zone. 

I would be so pissed if I bought a house on one of those blocks without knowing about this madhouse tradition (there are hundreds of people); what an unpleasant surprise that first - and last - Halloween there would have been.  I was ticked enough when I went for my nightly walk my first Halloween in the neighborhood and encountered that madness, and all I was doing was crossing that street.

Thankfully, last year a lot of people were smart enough to stay home, but I expect it will be big yet not quite as big this year.  I will be happily ensconced in my house, watching football. 

Our lights are staying off too, & that's what we did last year. All the other houses on my street are decked out like crazy, & we have nothing (and never do). I never liked answering the door for trick or treaters, but I did it until the pandemic happened. Our lights are staying off again this year, I am not accepting any covid deliveries, thank you very much.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I'm just seething right now.  I've been on hold most of the day (not continuously but for at least 45 minutes to an hour every time I tried) trying to update information for my Dad with his insurance company.  Lucky we weren't trying to make a claim or something!  Their office is open by appointment only so the only way to do anything is by phone - you can leave an email request on their website as well and supposedly they will call back.  I say supposedly because that's what I did yesterday.  No response so far.  They are very close to losing a customer right now.

Can’t you update the information online? I was able to change my address with bank, medical HMOs, USPS, DMV, and even Social Security online without trouble. 
I wish I was there to help. I’ve moved so many times that I could do it in my sleep  😴 (and sort of do).🙃

However, I was very annoyed at getting a call from a frickin robot telling me the washer and dryer for the condo I’m moving to (that is turning out to be a really bad investment) is not going to be delivered for 2 more weeks.😡 I ordered it 2 months ago and was assured by Home Depot it would not be back ordered. Now Home Depot says they have no control over back orders from the manufacturer, and if I buy a floor model, there’s no warranty. 😡
After calling Home Depot yesterday, I spent an hour on the phone with 2 people and then got transferred to LG (Oh ho! So Home Depot is in contact with the manufacturer and therefore should be able to give an honest delivery date!) until I finally got out my virtual violins and told the LG guy how I washed my now-43-year-old daughter’s cloth diapers in the bathtub on my knees, but now I have arthritis and a surgical hernia from cancer surgery, so I can’t do that anymore, at which point he offered to have a supervisor call me the next day. 

Technically my oldest daughter won’t be 43 for 3 more months, and I learned this week that it’s a diastasis rather than a hernia, which is uncomfortable, but not dangerous. So sue me, but I figured it was poetic license. 

In 4 hours the movers arrive.

And nobody should feel guilty about turning off the lights on Halloween. There are plenty of houses with people who want to see the kids.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Can’t you update the information online?

Sigh.  At some point in the distant past my father must have set up a profile online.  He can't remember doing this however.  And doesn't remember his username or password - the one thing he does remember is whatever email address he gave them is no longer valid.  I learned this when I tried to set up the profile online for him and found that he already existed in the system.  Now if I could actually talk to someone and get them to clear his profile so we can start over that would be a big help.  Talking to real people with this insurance company doesn't seem to be a feature they offer however!  Frankly they have until noon today and then we are moving his insurance to another company.  

• Love 2

Good luck with your father's profile @SusannahM!   I have been through the frustration of no longer existing email addresses, especially after one of mine ended up on the Dark Web (so I was told by one of my credit card accounts).  That address is still on one of my other cards as a contact, so I have to have them text me to remove it....

Not to get political here - and I try not to - but it turns out that certain garbage persons in NYC have decided to have some kind of unofficial slowdown/strike over the coming vaccine mandate.  I haven't seen so much piled up trash around my building since the snowstorm last February.  There's definitely stuff from Tuesday still there.  Let's just say that I hope certain people - including certain police and firefighters - come to their senses by the deadline tomorrow.

Meanwhile also in the news today a flight from JFK was diverted to Denver after a person refused to wear a mask and then punched an attendant in the face, making her bleed.  What is wrong with people?

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1

Meanwhile also in the news today a flight from JFK was diverted to Denver after a person refused to wear a mask and then punched an attendant in the face, making her bleed.  What is wrong with people?

That's horrifying. My husband manages a large model railroading shop and I am constantly worried that some lunatic is going to go off and hurt him. He's even had to ask people to leave because they're armed. It's a children's toy store, for god's sake, why be so scared that you feel like you have to open carry there?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4

I miss having people come for trick-or-treat.

I gave candy to EVERYONE who rang the bell. Parents with a baby? Take your pick, adults with this tiny infant. Toddlers who can barely walk? Candy for the kid and parents. Actually I always offered candy to the parents regardless of the age of the kid. One year I was going to a party and handed out jello shots to the decked out parents. Teens who came later, between 8:15 and 8:45 got handfuls of candy with an invitation to wander back around 8:45. If my light was on, ring the bell and they could have the rest. Didn't matter what they were wearing. I didn't want the candy in my house and I'm not going to begrudge anyone candy on Halloween just so I can bring the leftovers into work. TAKE IT ALL.

I live in a gated complex and there are only a few kids who live here. There were no trick-or-treaters in 2019 (neighbors prepared ome for that), or last year. So this year I'm not buying candy. I have some individually wrapped fruit leather that I'll pass out, with an apology, if someone knocks. There are no porch lights to turn out.

Edit - I didn't realize this was the peeve thread. Not going to delete my post but will take future discussion to chit-chat.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I gave candy to EVERYONE who rang the bell. Parents with a baby? Take your pick, adults with this tiny infant. Toddlers who can barely walk? Candy for the kid and parents. Actually I always offered candy to the parents regardless of the age of the kid. One year I was going to a party and handed out jello shots to the decked out parents. Teens who came later, between 8:15 and 8:45 got handfuls of candy with an invitation to wander back around 8:45. If my light was on, ring the bell and they could have the rest. Didn't matter what they were wearing. I didn't want the candy in my house and I'm not going to begrudge anyone candy on Halloween just so I can bring the leftovers into work. TAKE IT ALL.

I live in a gated complex and there are only a few kids who live here. There were no trick-or-treaters in 2019 (neighbors prepared ome for that), or last year. So this year I'm not buying candy. I have some individually wrapped fruit leather that I'll pass out, with an apology, if someone knocks. There are no porch lights to turn out.

We used to get Trick Or Treaters when our son was little. It seems like all the kids in this neighborhood grew up at the same time and moved away. We never get any now. I miss those days.

• Love 3

I buy candy every year just in case we get kids at our door, but except for the first couple of years we never have. We're pretty remote, and the kids down the road who were brave enough to risk our scary driveway are grown up now. But hope springs eternal. As does candy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I didn't realize this was the peeve thread. Not going to delete my post but will take future discussion to chit-chat.

You guys want a peeve? I think I'll have enough peeves from now to eternity.
Today I moved into the condo that I regretted buying and couldn't get out of without losing $7500.
It's beginning to look like that would have been a bargain.
In theory I would save $1K per month over rent.
But it looks like repairs are going to be over $1K per month.
For just one example, here's the crack in the kitchen sink:

image.png.3d46ec96bad7737773149460774ddd41.png

image.png.2b3816b0fbe984696c83818a7cb83372.png

26 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

How was that not caught during the inspection? If I saw that during my home inspection I would have requested the sellers fix it.

In the current market, if you ask for an inspection, you don't get the property (I tried with a different one).
It's a crazy time to be buying, but I had rented my entire life and inherited enough money to buy something. 
So I did. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

why be so scared that you feel like you have to open carry there?

anywhere

I'm a proponent of the 2nd amendment, but open carry is nothing more than a non-verbal 'f*ck you'.  You're simply begging for trouble, and eventually, you'll get it.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Edit - I didn't realize this was the peeve thread. Not going to delete my post but will take future discussion to chit-chat.

Our street is usually busy for the first hour of trick-or-treating hours. Our town is doing this tonight, instead of tomorrow, because of a school football game happening tomorrow, and the amount of traffic - although I don't know why that would affect our street. There were a couple of years where we hardly had anyone show up. 

We usually have it the Saturday before Halloween, unless Halloween falls on a Saturday. I need to carve two pumpkins before 6pm. The power went out at 4:30am. Some people are trying to make it political, when this happens all the time when we get more rain or snow. It has happened, ever since my parents bought the place in 1998. I bought another large bottle of water, last weekend, just in case, and sure enough... we live with well water, so when the power goes out, we can't shower, flush the loo, run the tap, etc. Thanks to a gas hob, we can heat water for drinks, or to have a wash, if needed. It came back on, just as my dad was leaving for work, at 6:30am, thank goodness. 

For my pumpkins, I've been trying to decide between something cute/possibly amusing, or spookier. Or easier, not so fiddly. If I'd had anyone around who wanted to help carve them, I would have done it sooner. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Anela said:

For my pumpkins, I've been trying to decide between something cute/possibly amusing, or spookier. Or easier, not so fiddly. If I'd had anyone around who wanted to help carve them, I would have done it sooner. 

I will not be carving a pumpkin.
Back in my pumpkin carving days I always felt I needed to follow the typical jack-o'-lantern formula with the triangle eyes. Sometimes I deviated a bit, but not much.
But if I was going to carve a pumpkin nowadays --in these oh, so, trying times-- I would feel free to try something else, even if, like a costume I made myself in middle school, people looked at it and asked what it (I) was supposed to be.
IDK. Maybe a flower design?
But I think the triangle eyes are because they're easy to do.
Maybe a design with just triangles?

• Love 1