Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It's crazy! I went nuts buying all kinds of cabinet and drawer organizers and random kitchen stuff. I swear to the gods, someone could get all the basics needed for an empty kitchen for $100. Now  if only I would remember to go there for stuff like gift wrap/gift bags/cards and that kind of incidental. 

To (mis)quote and paraphrase Nanci Griffith -- I want to fill up my suitcase with unnecessary plastic objects!  Nanci was talking about Woolworth's, but it applies to the Dollar Tree, too!  I love the little plastic baskets of all shapes and sizes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, GaT said:

Your cats barf on the floor???? How do you get them to do that? As soon as my cats feel like they're going to barf, they head for the nearest carpet. It doesn't matter if they're in a room with no carpeting & have to run to somewhere else, they find carpet. I would love it if they barfed on the floor instead.

My old male cat likes to sleep on our bed. After much screaming I have taught him to jump down to the carpeted floor before he hurls. So yay me?

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, GaT said:

Your cats barf on the floor???? How do you get them to do that? As soon as my cats feel like they're going to barf, they head for the nearest carpet. It doesn't matter if they're in a room with no carpeting & have to run to somewhere else, they find carpet. I would love it if they barfed on the floor instead.

My last 2 years of high school, when I got home, the first thing I had to do was scrub dog poop and vomit off of the carpet. Since then I have never owned a dog, even though she was an affectionate poodle who snuggled with me while I did homework. I just never wanted to commit to that job again. Now, over 50 years later, I’m wondering WHY she didn’t ever do it on the kitchen floor?!

• LOL 4
53 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Now, over 50 years later, I’m wondering WHY she didn’t ever do it on the kitchen floor?!

I don't get it either,  why do they want to do it on carpet?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GaT said:

Oh, I should have specified that they only barf on the floor if it’s been newly washed. Otherwise, they are going to barf on the 20% of the house that has carpet. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My old male cat likes to sleep on our bed. After much screaming I have taught him to jump down to the carpeted floor before he hurls. So yay me?

I once flung (not really but did snatch up and quickly semi-dropped onto the floor) one of mine when I heard THAT SOUND in the middle of the night.  I sleep pretty heavy, but, THAT SOUND, cuts through anything.  After that they would all get off the bed if they felt the need.

Plus we had a rule at our house.  In the course of a day:

Throw up once - it happens, maybe you ate too fast/much

Throw up twice - there better be a hairball produced

Throw up the third time - that's it we are going to the vet - regular or emergency depending on the time.

• Love 11

I once flung (not really but did snatch up and quickly semi-dropped onto the floor) one of mine when I heard THAT SOUND in the middle of the night.  I sleep pretty heavy, but, THAT SOUND, cuts through anything.  After that they would all get off the bed if they felt the need.

That's pretty much how I trained him. I'd leap up and shriek "Not on the bed!" He'd be so startled he'd jump down.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

Plus we had a rule at our house.  In the course of a day:

Throw up once - it happens, maybe you ate too fast/much

Throw up twice - there better be a hairball produced

Throw up the third time - that's it we are going to the vet - regular or emergency depending on the time.

One of my house lions is a scarf-n-barfer. Annoying but the vet says he's fine. My other house lion has only barfed twice in the 5 years I've had him. Once was all liquid, I called the vet, they said don't worry unless it happens again (it didn't). The second time was cat grass and what looked to be a hairball. Poor dude always looks so upset after he barfs, he does it so infrequently it's like he doesn't understand what he's doing.

• Love 5

I made is sound like they threw up a lot didn't I?  They really didn't, but, one it could take a few times to get the hairball out.  And I was nervous that something could actually be wrong with them.

The first time one threw up a hairball, I actually didn't know what it was and took him over to the emergency vet about 2 in the morning.  I explained what he produced and she, trying not to laugh, explained it was a fur ball.  To which I said I expected them to be actual balls, not something looking like a tube.

In peeves news, if I tell you I need a specific form to process your request or else we will be out of compliance do not keep asking me if I'm sure or if I can't just do it anyway.

• Love 5
On 8/21/2021 at 2:48 PM, peacheslatour said:

One of my weather Pet Peeves: Living in Seattle you'd think we'd get our share of rain but the last few days have been dark, gloomy and dry. Sheesh, if it's gonna be like this why won't it at least rain??? We haven't had any appreciable rain since May.

@peacheslatour it just drizzled a bit in my neighborhood (Westlake)! The air smells so much fresher and cleaner now! If I didn't know better I'd say you and I manifested it through our complaining. 🤣

• Love 2

My boyfriend decided that they know that a bare-floor barf may result in some backsplash to the face, so they opt for carpet! On occasion, ours do it on the mat under their litter box. I doubt they’re being purposely considerate, but I thank them anyway.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't get it either,  why do they want to do it on carpet?

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that they tend to prefer carpets over potentially slippery surfaces like hardwood or tile because it helps them feel a bit more secure when vomiting.

19 hours ago, tiftgirl said:

I once flung (not really but did snatch up and quickly semi-dropped onto the floor) one of mine when I heard THAT SOUND in the middle of the night.  I sleep pretty heavy, but, THAT SOUND, cuts through anything. 

My cat made it to 23 and threw up a lot in her final years, so my ears became attuned to that horking sound and I would rush over from wherever I was hoping to catch whatever she was about to produce in a paper plate.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

One of my boyfriend's coworkers (commercial delivery drivers) tested positive for Covid. I don't know if the guy was vaxxed or not.

We were supposed to go visit my boyfriend's family tomorrow through Sunday in the Wilmington area, but his father (early 80s) has had a few minor health issues recently and we don't want to risk being Covid carriers to him. His sister just recovered from nasal cancer (and had a cigarette the last time we visited🤦‍♀️), so same deal. We both feel fine, but safety first. I'm losing half the petsitting fee for the late cancellation, but what even are money and time but nebulous constructs anymore.

My boyfriend's workplace hadn't had anyone test positive since the beginning of all of this, if that tells y'all anything about the Delta variant. They all deal directly with other people constantly as they have them sign off on deliveries.

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

but what even are money and time but nebulous constructs anymore.

My thoughts of late are the same —and used to be the near opposite.

My genius-but-somewhat-wacky middle daughter said that if you’re vaccinated and you test positive for Covid, you can’t spread it, but I’m like:🤔🧐🤷‍♀️ 

So: 😷 when shopping at least, and outside, if I pass someone walking, I don’t breathe for a bit —like when a student would cough in the library where I worked in the Before Times. I’m vaccinated, but getting “mildly sick with Covid” sounds a lot like being “a little bit pregnant” or “just a basal cell carcinoma.” 🙄

• Love 3
On 8/26/2021 at 9:12 AM, theredhead77 said:

Garth Brooks not being on Spotify. Everyone says how great he is, but it's really not convenient listening to his music. 

An anonymous donor has paid for twenty funerals for the people who were killed in the Tennessee flooding last week.  People are guessing it's Garth.  My guess is Brad Paisley.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My genius-but-somewhat-wacky middle daughter said that if you’re vaccinated and you test positive for Covid, you can’t spread it, but I’m like:🤔🧐🤷‍♀️ 

You can spread COVID if you test positive, regardless of vaccine status. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Angeltoes said:

An anonymous donor has paid for twenty funerals for the people who were killed in the Tennessee flooding last week.  People are guessing it's Garth.  My guess is Brad Paisley.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Garth, Brad Paisley or Dolly. Could also be Kenny Chesney (who is also from TN) and does a lot of low-key humanitarian work. Could be so many people. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

My boyfriend's coworker was vaxxed. I told my workplace and they want me working from home this week.

My boyfriend had another coworker test positive in December but he didn't bother to tell me about it. I'm not amused. That's the only other case he knows of.

Edited by bilgistic
On 8/25/2021 at 11:36 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I have a frontloader machine, and that awful mildewy smell has been an issue since the beginning. I tried vinegar, which didn't do it for me. Also baking soda and several other remedies. No dice. Then I tried some odor remover meant to treat hunters' clothes so the animals they're after don't sense their presence. It didn't work on the washer, but my husband never knows when I come into the room. (That's a joke.) Finally I got some commercial treatment thing, and that seems to do the trick. I think it's Tide, but I'll check the name tomorrow. I find that the best thing, though, is just to leave the washer door open all the time so it doesn't start to smell in the first place and wipe down the rubber gasket around the door where water tends to collect.

If you don't have a frontloader, then all the above was completely irrelevant.

Yeah, I have to wipe the door gasket after every laundry session, plus I remove the dispenser drawer and dump it (it inexplicably tends to fill with water), plus wipe out the cavity it slides into.  Every so many loads (not sure how many), the washer prompts me to run a cleaner cycle, and I use the commercially available cleaner specifically for that purpose.

Edit - Pretty certain I won't be buying another front load machine.  They were marketed as more efficient, but for me, the pain-in-the-ass factors outweigh the benefits.   I also stupidly didn't purchase the obscenely expensive storage drawers that they would normally sit upon (didn't need the storage), not thinking about the fact that they would sit about a foot or more lower as a result.  Reaching into the depths of the washer/dryer to retrieve the unwilling socks has been a bit of a back breaker.  The modern top loaders are likely far better than my old top loaders, and probably better than these sexy-but-stupid front loaders.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2

On 8/24/2021 at 11:21 PM, chocolatine said:

Mini pet peeve: I'm involved in several DEI initiatives at work, and today, for the umpteenth time since last year, I heard someone say that "allyship is a verb." Now, obviously I think allyship is very important, but it's most certainly not a verb. The word "ally" can be used either as a noun or a verb, but "allyship" is strictly a noun (just like "friendship" and "relationship"). I have never corrected anyone who said it because I worry about creating the perception that I'm dismissive of allyship. But, as someone who's learned English as a second language, it really irks me when native speakers misuse their own language like that.

I've never heard allyship in any form, but then I have no idea what a DEI initiative is either.  (I don't have a middle name, but I'm thinking maybe I should adopt Jane, as in "you ignorant sl*t.")

On 8/26/2021 at 9:41 AM, peacheslatour said:

I would never have anything but white appliances. When we first bought this house the appliances were all different colors. Avocado stove, brown reefer, white dishwasher, stainless steel microwave. We replaced everything with white. My ritzy mom had her laminate cabinet fronts on all her appliances except the wall ovens. So eighties.

If the reefer wasn't brown I'm guessing it would have been green.  ;-)

On 8/26/2021 at 3:22 PM, theredhead77 said:

One of my house lions is a scarf-n-barfer. Annoying but the vet says he's fine. My other house lion has only barfed twice in the 5 years I've had him. Once was all liquid, I called the vet, they said don't worry unless it happens again (it didn't). The second time was cat grass and what looked to be a hairball. Poor dude always looks so upset after he barfs, he does it so infrequently it's like he doesn't understand what he's doing.

I put that look down to embarrassment. 

59 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Edit - Pretty certain I won't be buying another front load machine.  They were marketed as more efficient, but for me, the pain-in-the-ass factors outweigh the benefits.   I also stupidly didn't purchase the obscenely expensive storage drawers that they would normally sit upon (didn't need the storage), not thinking about the fact that they would sit about a foor or more lower as a result.  The reaching into the depths of the washer/dryer to retrieve the unwilling socks has been a bit of a back breaker.  The modern top loaders are likely far better than my old top loaders, and probably better than these sexy-but-stupid front loaders.

When I moved to The States 30-odd years ago I'd never used anything except a front loader.  I still hate top loaders, which means I put laundry off for way too long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading that they tend to prefer carpets over potentially slippery surfaces like hardwood or tile because it helps them feel a bit more secure when vomiting.

I will keep this in mind for the next time I overdo the gin & tonics!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I;m starting to get triggered by "do your research."

It's not so much the words that bother me, but it almost always is someone making a totally outlandish claim about something (usually very conspiracy-theory), and when you ask them for sources, they just say "do your research." Where? At least give me an article or something so I can judge whether the source can be trusted or not. But a simple "do your research"?

In this case, a woman swore that she "knew" that ivermectin was THE miracle drug for covid, and when I asked her HOW she knew, she shot back with "do your research."

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It's not so much the words that bother me, but it almost always is someone making a totally outlandish claim about something (usually very conspiracy-theory), and when you ask them for sources, they just say "do your research." Where? At least give me an article or something so I can judge whether the source can be trusted or not. But a simple "do your research"?

In this case, a woman swore that she "knew" that ivermectin was THE miracle drug for covid, and when I asked her HOW she knew, she shot back with "do your research."

While it’s probably best to walk away from someone whose is operating in the mode of “my mind’s made up; don’t confuse me with the facts” (which sadly seems to have morphed from a joke to a common state of being), a great retort to "do your research" would be: “cite your sources,” but that would really only work in the controlled environment of a fictional show — or in my imagination.

Also in a fictional situation, you would reply with, “I have done my research, and exactly 𝓃% people have died from taking horse dewormer,” and the other person would immediately come to their senses and become apologetic for being stupid and also be profusely grateful to you for taking the time to enlighten them.

But here we are back in reality, where we wisely just walk away. Quickly. While holding our breath. Without first inhaling.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7

Oh FFS.  I'm self censoring myself to the point of not having anything to say anymore. 

I wish there was TV or movies that I loved or loved to hate so much that I could engage in a discussion about it. 

I wish the "news" wasn't manifesting in like 80% of my day to day life.  Because really, if you knew, you'd be like WTF.  And then you'd tell me it sounds like your work in that office that coordinates disaster response from the movie Volcano except some stupid B movie version that is totally unrealistic because that much crap can't go so massively wrong on such a large scale every day.  And yet it does.  And every single bit of it is a can of worms.

This post brought to you by the realization that I can no longer get pizza delivered and that innocuous romance novel I bought a while back is "under review" and not available for sale anymore.  I thought these things might be fun to talk about for a little while.  And then I dug into it a little.  And well, shit.

My brain is screaming at me not to post this either.  But I just need to vent some frustration that I don't really feel ok to vent anymore.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Oh FFS.  I'm self censoring myself to the point of not having anything to say anymore. 

I wish there was TV or movies that I loved or loved to hate so much that I could engage in a discussion about it. 

I wish the "news" wasn't manifesting in like 80% my day to day life.  Because really, if you knew, you'd be like WTF.  And then you'd tell me it sounds like your work in that office that coordinates disaster response from the movie Volcano except some stupid B movie version that is totally unrealistic because not that much crap can go so massively wrong on such a large scale every day.  And yet it does.  And every single bit of it a can of worms.

This post brought to you by the realization that I can no longer get pizza delivered and that innocuous romance novel I bought a while back is "under review" and not available for sale anymore.  I thought these things might be fun to talk about for a little while.  And then I dug into it a little.  And well, shit.

My brain is screaming at me not to post this either.  But I just need to vent some frustration that I don't really feel ok to vent anymore.

Come sit by me.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My thoughts of late are the same —and used to be the near opposite.

So: 😷 when shopping at least, and outside, if I pass someone walking, I don’t breathe for a bit —like when a student would cough in the library where I worked in the Before Times. I’m vaccinated, but getting “mildly sick with Covid” sounds a lot like being “a little bit pregnant” or “just a basal cell carcinoma.” 🙄

I do that too.

• Love 4

This Summer has sucked, although I can't remember the last time I really enjoyed one. My dad offered to take me to the drive-in tonight, but I didn't sleep well last night, and I've been up since around midnight. I'm going to have another shower, and see if I can wake up a bit. Maybe make something like rice, peas and corn, to take with us. 

My peeve is my always-messed-up sleep schedule. It's been too hot here, and I should have taken a nap this afternoon, but I forgot about the drive-in, until gone 5pm. They start letting people in, in just over an hour. The movies are the new "Candyman" and "Old" - neither of which I've really been looking forward to, but I don't know how much longer the drive-in will be open this year, and I need to get out for a while. I'm not going to a movie theatre, even though I'm now fully vaccinated. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Anela said:

messed-up sleep schedule. It's been too hot here, and I should have taken a nap

I know what you mean. Same. You might doze off a bit during the movie, but that's okay. It's still good to have a change of scene. 🙃

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

These people should start doing their "research" on the link between COVID and ED. 

• LOL 5

One of my pet peeves is cooking. I enjoy doing it now and then. I really want to become better at it, but I'm just not one of those people who loves being in the kitchen. 

Maybe it's because I'm vegetarian. Vegetarian food can be really delicious, but it takes a long time shopping, washing all the veggies, chopping them up and cooking. Another reason might be because I'm single. Cooking is mostly a solitary hobby unless you're taking a cooking class or something, which I don't feel safe doing at the moment. 

Even a salad that's entree worthy takes quite a bit of time.  

I envy all of you who just love to cook every day. 

• Love 10
21 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

One of my pet peeves is cooking. I enjoy doing it now and then. I really want to become better at it, but I'm just not one of those people who loves being in the kitchen. 

Maybe it's because I'm vegetarian. Vegetarian food can be really delicious, but it takes a long time shopping, washing all the veggies, chopping them up and cooking. Another reason might be because I'm single. Cooking is mostly a solitary hobby unless you're taking a cooking class or something, which I don't feel safe doing at the moment. 

I don't love to cook, but I do it 3-4 times a week because I mostly eat a whole-food plant-based diet and it's nearly impossible to find WFPB prepared meals that taste good and don't cost a fortune. I keep it very simple and make 2-3 portions of everything so I don't have to cook every single day. I've gotten pretty good at chopping vegetables quickly, but I also keep a few bags of frozen ones on hand for those days when I don't have enough time; I don't like the texture as much as fresh vegetables, but if I steam them they taste good enough.

My meals are usually a combo of a healthy carb (brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat wrap, or sweet potato), a legume (chickpeas, black beans, edamame, or lentils), one or two kinds of vegetable and/or leafy green (some raw, others steamed or roasted), and a dressing/sauce I can make quickly in the blender (I have several pitchers of different sizes and I use the smallest one for the dressings and sauces so there's not much cleanup). During the cold months I also like to make hearty soups, and those freeze very well so while they take a little longer to prepare, I can make 5-6 portions at a time.

While I don't enjoy the cooking itself very much, it does help my mind relax for a bit, so it's an "active meditation" of sorts.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5
On 8/27/2021 at 9:52 PM, Bastet said:

DEI stands for diversity, equity, and inclusion.

I've found A LOT of them toxic.  And you can't avoid them these days.  They always say they want people's POV, but once you give it to them, if it differs from the "narrative," then it's wrong and you're an ignorant sl*t.  Yep, I, too should change my name to Jane.  Thanks, @Leeds! :) 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, PRgal said:

I've found A LOT of them toxic.  And you can't avoid them these days.  They always say they want people's POV, but once you give it to them, if it differs from the "narrative," then it's wrong and you're an ignorant sl*t.  Yep, I, too should change my name to Jane.  Thanks, @Leeds! :) 

Lack of diversity is a real problem in the tech industry, and it's extremely detrimental because it's keeping women and Black/LatinX/other minority employees out of high-paying jobs. As one of very few female engineering directors in the industry, I work hard to change that. I agree that there is some toxicity and groupthink in DEI and employee resource groups, but a lot of people also find them helpful. So I continue to participate and pick my battles (like not correcting anyone who says that "allyship is a verb") because I think there's too much at stake to just give up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Lack of diversity is a real problem in the tech industry, and it's extremely detrimental because it's keeping women and Black/LatinX/other minority employees out of high-paying jobs. As one of very few female engineering directors in the industry, I work hard to change that. I agree that there is some toxicity and groupthink in DEI and employee resource groups, but a lot of people also find them helpful. So I continue to participate and pick my battles (like not correcting anyone who says that "allyship is a verb") because I think there's too much at stake to just give up. 

My peeve is that class diversity and ignorance within some (non-white) cultural groups is rarely discussed, and even dismissed by some (okay, most) DEI seminars.  There was an article I read about caste discrimination within some IT companies amongst South Asian employees, particularly management.  I raised that issue in a DEI discussion only to be told that they weren't there to discuss that sort of thing.  I have also brought up linguistic challenges and how people who do not speak English (or French in francophone Canada) face accessibility issues if they do not have help, etc, etc...the language thing has only STARTED to creep up, and that's thanks to vaccination issues some communities in diverse cities have!  The problem is the LACK OF DIVERSITY within the DEI leadership.  Rarely have I seen them led by people other than Black, or sometimes, White women.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

The problem is the LACK OF DIVERSITY within the DEI leadership.  Rarely have I seen them led by people other than Black, or sometimes, White women.  

I noticed that too. I'm a white woman, but even white women are under-represented in my field, so I still feel that my participation adds value. Obviously I'm not aware of all problems that other minorities experience, so I do my best to listen, learn, and advocate for people wherever I can.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I noticed that too. I'm a white woman, but even white women are under-represented in my field, so I still feel that my participation adds value. Obviously I'm not aware of all problems that other minorities experience, so I do my best to listen, learn, and advocate for people wherever I can.

Except many people don’t listen.  Or care.  Or tell you it’s not “real” or “rare.”  Again, my pet peeve and why I think it’s toxic 

• Useful 1
On 8/29/2021 at 1:50 AM, RealHousewife said:

Invest in an Instant Pot (3 quart is great for one or two adults)!  Throw things in and you’re good to go.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Today's peeve - well actually last night's: grocery stores that let their youthful employees choose the music that is piped in.  Trust me the place I go caters to a fairly sedate rural/small town population of mainly over 50s -  we do not want to be serenaded by rap music while we shop.  I guess the person picking the music may have wanted to encourage us to fill our carts and get the hell out.  If so, kudos, it worked!

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve - well actually last night's: grocery stores that let their youthful employees choose the music that is piped in.  Trust me the place I go caters to a fairly sedate rural/small town population of mainly over 50s -  we do not want to be serenaded by rap music while we shop.  I guess the person picking the music may have wanted to encourage us to fill our carts and get the hell out.  If so, kudos, it worked!

It beats being 'serenaded' by Rachael Ray shilling her stuff over stores' PA system but then so would a buzz saw!

However, I can think of a time or so I've gone to a commercial establishment and they were playing 'rap' peppered with profanities. I just couldn't stand the selection so I went to the manager and told them to each one's own listening to whatever one wanted off the clock but customers (like me) didn't need to hear it when conducting business (and at a place where parents potentially could bring in small children at any time). 

• Love 11

It's not that hard to figure it out. We (and by "we" I mean "he") actually mapped out all the circuits in our house so we don't need to keep reinventing the wheel each time we want to know if we can plug something in in a particular spot. But you don't have to map everything out to know if you can plug in an Instant Pot. Just turn off the breaker for that circuit and then see what does and doesn't work while it's off. Then all you need to do is volts x amps = watts (the amps are whatever number that breaker--or fuse if you still have those--is marked for) and you'll know how many watts you have to play with. Remember I'm not an electrician, so don't sue me if the worst happens. These guys apparently are, though:

https://sanfordelectric.net/calculate-circuit-loads-overloading-circuits/

You can also just unplug something else on the line whenever you want to use the IP, since it's not on constantly.

Edited by Mondrianyone
forgot to close parens
  • Useful 2
On 8/29/2021 at 1:50 AM, RealHousewife said:

I second the Instant Pot which also doubles as a crock pot. I love to cook but I am a lazy cook and will 110% buy precut vegetables and bagged lettuce. I'm also a big fan of one pan and sheet pan meals.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I have always wanted one of those, but I have no clue if my kitchen outlets can handle it.  I have no clue how many things are on that line.  I know for sure one of the items is the microwave.  I know it can handle my 350 watt KA mixer, but I don't know if it can handle a 700 watt 3 quart Instant Pot.

It plugs into my regular outlet just fine.  No adapter required.  My outlets are standard North American outlets.  The building I live in is about 10 years old, so maybe it makes a difference.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

It plugs into my regular outlet just fine.  No adapter required.  My outlets are standard North American outlets.  The building I live in is about 10 years old, so maybe it makes a difference.

I just bought my first house (condo), and I am 68 years old and having buyers remorse (which I expected) but now I have to worry about --what? plugging in a toaster? I hope not. 😱 
I don't cook much anymore, but I would like to get a blender or food processor for smoothies. I think my last blender died in the 90s.
Hopefully the HOA will have a list of dos and don't regarding kitchen appliances. I mean, that's part of what I'm paying the HOA fee for, right? (and because I'm now too frail to shovel snow and mow lawns and such)

• Love 3

Pet peeve today. The mosquitos are driving me nuts, whereas yesterday they were not in evidence. It didn’t rain, so I don’t know. I put on some Deet spray, and it wasn’t helping!  Now I’ve lit two large citronella candles , and they seem to be helping.  I had never used them before. The info gods of the internet declare them relatively ineffective, but I’m finding them helpful. Any opinions?  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have always wanted one of those, but I have no clue if my kitchen outlets can handle it.  I have no clue how many things are on that line.  I know for sure one of the items is the microwave.  I know it can handle my 350 watt KA mixer, but I don't know if it can handle a 700 watt 3 quart Instant Pot.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I just bought my first house (condo), and I am 68 years old and having buyers remorse (which I expected) but now I have to worry about --what? plugging in a toaster? I hope not. 😱 
I don't cook much anymore, but I would like to get a blender or food processor for smoothies. I think my last blender died in the 90s.
Hopefully the HOA will have a list of dos and don't regarding kitchen appliances. I mean, that's part of what I'm paying the HOA fee for, right? (and because I'm now too frail to shovel snow and mow lawns and such)

There's no need to worry about modern appliances having any issues. The worst thing that might happen is a fuse triggers. That happens if I run my microwave and air fryer at the same time on the same outlet path. Or, the little button the outlet pops. No biggie, either way.

My apartment in CA was built in the 1920s and rewired in the 80s. No issues with any modern appliances.

3 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Pet peeve today. The mosquitos are driving me nuts, whereas yesterday they were not in evidence. It didn’t rain, so I don’t know. I put on some Deet spray, and it wasn’t helping!  Now I’ve lit two large citronella candles , and they seem to be helping.  I had never used them before. The info gods of the internet declare them relatively ineffective, but I’m finding them helpful. Any opinions?  

Blow torch?

Edited by theredhead77
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1