Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Yeah, I love dogs and I'll happily pet one that comes up to me and all that good stuff...but only if the owner gives permission and I know it's okay. I don't know this dog, I don't know how it reacts, I don't want to do anything that might accidentally spook them. I've said this before in other discussions, but there's the whole thing about how dog owners are always like, "Oh, my dog is a sweetheart, they'd never hurt anyone!" And yeah, sure, that may well be true most of the time. Most dog encounters, all the dog wants to do is be friendly and play, 'cause that's just how they tend to be :). And that's fine. 

But the fact remains that they are still dogs. They go on instinct. And if they encounter anyone or anything that they feel is a threat to them or to their owner, whether it actually is or not, they will react and potentially attack. That's a perfectly normal reaction. I think so many people get so used to treating their dogs as mini-humans (not judging, mind - I have pets, too, I know how that goes :D) that they sometimes forget that they are animals and will behave as such, and try and ascribe human qualities to them, forgetting that dogs don't think in those terms. 

And I too don't understand people who refuse to put their dogs on leashes. I think a lot of those people don't think about the fact that keeping their dog on a leash protects the dog and them just as much as it does anyone else. It makes it less likely the dog will bite or attack someone, thus making a lawsuit less likely, and it also keeps the dog safe so they're not, say, running out into traffic by accident, or running off and getting lost somewhere, or something. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 13
51 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And I too don't understand people who refuse to put their dogs on leashes. I think a lot of those people don't think about the fact that keeping their dog on a leash protects the dog and them just as much as it does anyone else. It makes it less likely the dog will bite or attack someone, thus making a lawsuit less likely, and it also keeps the dog safe so they're not, say, running out into traffic by accident, or running off and getting lost somewhere, or something. 

I’m not a dog person, rather a person who likes specific dogs.  There were a couple in my neighborhood growing up that didn’t bother me.  A couple of my neighbors here had dogs that were well behaved and did not misbehave if off leash.  The woman I’ve encountered a couple of times lately - I’m not sure if she realizes it but there are a some other people who have taken their dogs to that same park and let them run around off leash (I’ve managed to avoid these people) - these dogs are bigger than hers so I’m wondering what the result would be if there’s an encounter where her little dog decides to fight the other dog.  I’m not sure who would want to get in the middle of trying to break that up.  

• Love 7

I'm a dog owner too, and I agree with everything you've all said.  I control my dog on a leash outdoors, and I have to stay away from other dogs.  I love to meet and pet dogs, but people should not let them charge or jump.  I'm afraid many people don't have the critical thinking skills of our Primetimer groups.

4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My "kittens" are 6 and 8 and they love to "help" me crochet. I started crocheting last winter, when a small AAPI female owned business called The Woobles showed up on my Instagram. Best (and only) Instagram purchase, ever. 

Thanks for writing about Woobles.  How cute!  I have been trying to make amigurumi.  I've crocheted all my life, but amigurumi are new.  Reddit and Instagram have great photos for inspiration. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

A couple of weeks ago I had an encounter with a dog walker who was letting her little dog walk off leash.  It was on this car width size path in a mostly wooded area.  There was no way for me to get around them when I got closer so when I was a few feet away the dog of course started approaching me and began to bark.  I had my umbrella with me and was using it as a shield since I didn’t know what this dog was going to do and I didn’t want this dog getting any closer to me.  The owner was more concerned about what I could potentially do to her dog rather than try to restrain/leash it so I could pass by.  I told her this is a public area and that dog belongs on a leash.  I’ve seen her at the park I walk through lately in an open area tossing a ball toward her dog and letting it run around.   I’m okay with dogs that appear docile - this one is not. 

Yep. I've had the same experience in recent months with more than one little dog and one large dog. If the off-leash dog is barking angrily at me, I can only assume that the owner who claims their dog is being friendly is a psycho dog owner. 
So I try to time my outdoor exercise to coincide with when the dogs are less likely to be out, and if I see one of the problem dogs, I change my direction. 
I'm hoping most of these irresponsible/psycho pet owners are reaching the end of their pandemic pet owning experiences and will soon "re-home" the pooches they were never really invested in caring for.

• Love 6

Well I had a dog (rest her soul) who was truly the biggest sweetheart but she never could understand why someone didn't want to be her friend, and thus smothered with kisses. It was such an uphill battle training her not to jump and lick random people.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Have you told your neighbors that you don't like being tackled by their dog and are worried about getting hurt? My family and friends know that I'm not a dog person, so those who have very "friendly" dogs keep them in another room or in the yard when I visit.

They are aware that it scares me, and they find it funny. At least when it was their turn to host the every other month cocktail party they had the good sense to take the lab to the Play and Stay kennel. They said their baby loved going there and getting played with, fed, loved and well cared for. They use the place when they vacation. She (the dog) wags her tail and starts spring jumping when they get there. These are tall people. They are amused with my very small size. Evidently they all reckon me to be a toy. 

@Lady Whistleup Thank you for realizing not everyone wants kisses from your dog and training it not to jump up and love people upon greeting. I do like dogs. Even had a few altho I am more of a cat person. I’m quite happy to pet them and play with them once I sense they aren’t aggressive. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

They are aware that it scares me, and they find it funny. [...] These are tall people. They are amused with my very small size. Evidently they all reckon me to be a toy. 

Do you really want to continue being friends with people who disrespect you like that?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

Thanks for writing about Woobles.  How cute!  I have been trying to make amigurumi.  I've crocheted all my life, but amigurumi are new.  Reddit and Instagram have great photos for inspiration. 

Going to chit-chat

• Love 1

Oh gosh, I'm glad there are so many sensitive pet owners on here! I'm an animal lover (even a vegetarian), but I totally get the fear of dogs. I used to be very fearful because as a child I had friends who were badly bit (like made the news and scarred to this day). People of other cultures don't always grow up with animals either. I really wish everyone would understand as sweet as your dog is, not everyone wants it to run up to them. Some dogs can even scare the biggest dog lovers. A friend of mine was out with his little dog, and a big dog without a leash ran towards them. My friend was really freighted for the safety of his dog. The big dog owner didn't care, didn't apologize, nothing.

Also, as much as I wish our culture (and many others around the world) were kinder to animals, "I don't trust people who don't like animals" has to stop too. People who aren't crazy about animals are not normally Michael Vick. Some people just have anxiety around them but wouldn't hurt them or anybody. If you live in America, surely you know some assholes who love the hell out of their dogs, don't you? Why can't you get that some folks are just the reverse? A lot of my family isn't big on pets, so this is a, no pun intended, pet peeve of mine. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, unfortunately a leash doesn't help much when the owner purposely retracts the leash, thus letting their untrained dog have the most space he can have.

Source: Our next door neighbors have a big-to-medium-sized mix-of-something dog that attacks basically all other dogs to the point the other neighbors all immediately go to the other side of the street when that dog is out, and that dog has attacked/pinned/bit our tiny dog three times, each time resulting in a trip to the doggie vet and stitches for Lily. 

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Also, as much as I wish our culture (and many others around the world) were kinder to animals, "I don't trust people who don't like animals" has to stop too. People who aren't crazy about animals are not normally Michael Vick. Some people just have anxiety around them but wouldn't hurt them or anybody. If you live in America, surely you know some assholes who love the hell out of their dogs, don't you? Why can't you get that some folks are just the reverse? A lot of my family isn't big on pets, so this is a, no pun intended, pet peeve of mine. 

Exactly. I find it bizarre that it's completely socially acceptable for people to say that they don't want to interact with children, but if someone doesn't want to interact with dogs, they're treated like a monster.

(FWIW, I love children but have no problem with anyone who doesn't.)

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5
On 8/18/2021 at 8:47 PM, Kelly said:

Oh this made me smile.  I also loved paper dolls.  I still have a bunch I saved in department store shirt boxes (that, at the time, I had to REALLY convince my mom to give me).  

I was the only one in my family that liked them.  I remember getting my first set, and my mother warning me they were going to take a lot of time to cut out.  Of course my small hands, snub nosed child scissors weren’t working.  I was in my room on my bed…all sad about it and my Dad walked by.  My father was a quiet person, not super demonstrative.  He took one of the pages to cut for me, and the next morning I woke up to the whole set cut out for me precisely (he was an engineer).  Thank you for reminding me - my father died 15 years ago, but I miss him often.  🥰

Your post got to me.  My Father was a quiet guy also.  My Mother did all the talking and commanding.  After a very hard job all day, he used to wait for me at the train station when I was coming from work in the city so I didn’t have to walk.  I always let him know that he was special.  Memories.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

but I totally get the fear of dogs.

For me and many others, it’s not “fear of dogs;” it’s “fear of broken bones” and “fear of stitches” which, in my case, are valid fears (I don’t ride bicycles anymore either). I have the worst osteoporosis my doctor has ever seen, and I am allergic to pain killers traditionally used post-surgery, like Norco (causes vomiting and spreads and increases the pain).

So it peeves me when a dog owner whose dog is obviously afraid of me (angrily barking) starts going on about being sympathetic about me being afraid of his dog. No. Just keep your fearful dog away from me, so I can be sympathetic about the obviously formerly abused animal that you have generously chosen to take care of.

ETA: It also peeves me that I can’t risk riding bicycles anymore. Fond memories.  
At least I can swim. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Source: Our next door neighbors have a big-to-medium-sized mix-of-something dog that attacks basically all other dogs to the point the other neighbors all immediately go to the other side of the street when that dog is out, and that dog has attacked/pinned/bit our tiny dog three times, each time resulting in a trip to the doggie vet and stitches for Lily

Aren’t vets required to report dog bites? Especially repeat offenders? Since the dogs I grew up with weren’t ever allowed out beyond our yard, and spent almost all their lives in the house, and that was long ago, I’m not familiar with such laws. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Aren’t vets required to report dog bites? Especially repeat offenders? Since the dogs I grew up with weren’t ever allowed out beyond our yard, and spent almost all their lives in the house, and that was long ago, I’m not familiar with such laws. 

I’d think it has to be reported somewhere. What I don’t get is these people probably don’t consider what happens if their dog does bite or injure someone else or they don’t care.  A number of years ago there was someone in another part of town here who got into trouble for letting their pit bulls roam their neighborhood.  The case ended up in court.  I don’t remember the outcome but these types of dog owners have to consider the determination of others to guarantee their safety vs animals.  

• Love 4

Where I live animals that bite that results in a trip to the Doc in a Box or ED do require reporting. A few years ago my cat bit the vet tech (long story, but I told her to stop clipping my cats nails, she wouldn’t and my kitty bit her) and we were reported. That resulted with visits from the Sheriff’s Deputy, a 10 day quarantine and I had to provide current records of vaccination. I don’t see why it would be any different for dogs. 

• Love 5

People who repeatedly comment on someone else's FB post with a bunch of uneducated nonsense and then suddenly say "I am not going to debate." Like, what, asshole? YOU were the FIRST comment in the thread and it was clear that you were armed with your false info and ignorant opinions, and totally ready to debate (until you got schooled by literate, sensible people). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, GussieK said:

For those who like me have no idea what amigurumi are, here's an explanation:

Amigurumi is essentially the same as crochet, only it refers specifically to the process of making 3D toys. Crochet uses a range of techniques, whereas amigurumi almost always involves working in the round, making spheres which are then stuffed to form the limbs of some adorable little animals. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

People who repeatedly comment on someone else's FB post with a bunch of uneducated nonsense and then suddenly say "I am not going to debate." Like, what, asshole? YOU were the FIRST comment in the thread and it was clear that you were armed with your false info and ignorant opinions, and totally ready to debate (until you got schooled by literate, sensible people). 

What I've been experiencing recently is being unfriended because I dared to question someone on a claim they made (surprisingly not Covid or politics related).  Apparently now asking a question, politely, is an attack. 

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

What I've been experiencing recently is being unfriended because I dared to question someone on a claim they made (surprisingly not Covid or politics related).  Apparently now asking a question, politely, is an attack. 

Most people who post on social media have already formed their opinion (however poorly informed or researched it may be) and have no interest in being proven wrong or even challenged. And some will even go so far as to unfriend or block you if you do. I once had someone who I had considered a dear friend block me after I called out a video she reposted as fake. There were multiple people who pointed it out, but I don't know if she blocked all of them or just me.

I guess that leads to one of my other pet peeves, people reposting memes or "fake news" items without fact-checking or even applying a shred of common sense. It even happens on LinkedIn a lot, where most people are supposed to be highly educated professionals with critical thinking skills.

Just yesterday I saw someone share a meme that made an incorrect assumption about the content of a research paper based on its title alone. I, who had actually read the paper, posted a reply clarifying what it was really about. The original post got over 1,900 likes; my comment got two.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I've experienced this with men in the workplace. I was "arguing" when I asked a question. Gee, I'm sorry your superiority complex was threatened by a simple question.

• Love 6

Source: Our next door neighbors have a big-to-medium-sized mix-of-something dog that attacks basically all other dogs to the point the other neighbors all immediately go to the other side of the street when that dog is out, and that dog has attacked/pinned/bit our tiny dog three times, each time resulting in a trip to the doggie vet and stitches for Lily. 

Three words: Small claims court.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Oh my goodness, the person I am referring to said, among other things, that a sign promoting cancer screenings was morally wrong because it was using COVID as a "ploy" to get people to get screened. The sign was filled with the word "COVID" in one color, with once instance of "cancer" in another color -- conveying what I immediately assumed to be "don't let COVID-info overload  make you forget about other health concerns." Pretty simple, I thought. But no, she insists a scare-tactic ploy, as if these things are at all connected and cancer screenings are something new since last year. Plus, for a "ploy" to be in play, there would have to be a target/victim/end game. What might those be? Someone finding out ASAP whether they have cancer and taking measures?!

She also said that "facts" depend on who you listen to (!!!!!) and that everything is unsafe until it gets FDA approval. She had nothing to add when I asked if she took any big-name vitamin supplements sold at equally big-named stores.

• Love 1

The Food and Drug Administration could grant the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine full approval Monday, The New York Times reported.

The move would make it the first Covid vaccine to go from emergency use authorization to full FDA approval.

The move may help persuade more people to get vaccinated and more businesses and schools to mandate vaccinations.

/CNBC

I wonder what the excuse will be then?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

The Food and Drug Administration could grant the Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine full approval Monday, The New York Times reported.

The move would make it the first Covid vaccine to go from emergency use authorization to full FDA approval.

The move may help persuade more people to get vaccinated and more businesses and schools to mandate vaccinations.

/CNBC

A lot of people will probably double down on "we don't know anything about the long-term effects."

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

A lot of people will probably double down on "we don't know anything about the long-term effects."

Which is so bizarre to me, because we do know that some have suffered long-term effects of COVID, and we're still uncertain of how much of an impact those effects will have on people's health going forward.

Yet that risk is okay to some people, but taking a vaccine isn't. Okay. 

• Love 15

Because they all know so much about clinical trials and infectious disease! And I suppose none of them have EVAH had a vaccine before in their lives. And ALL tha docterz are in cAH00000tZ with the dark webz and satan.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Which is so bizarre to me, because we do know that some have suffered long-term effects of COVID, and we're still uncertain of how much of an impact those effects will have on people's health going forward.

Yet that risk is okay to some people, but taking a vaccine isn't. Okay. 

3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Because they all know so much about clinical trials and infectious disease! And I suppose none of them have EVAH had a vaccine before in their lives. And ALL tha docterz are in cAH00000tZ with the dark webz and satan.

I tried to explain to someone that if they refuse the vaccine, their risk of getting COVID (and dying from it) will be much greater than the risk of suffering any long-term effects from the vaccine, and the response I got was that "you can twist anything with statistics." 🤦‍♀️

Well, here's one now...sort of? 

Someone in epidemiology (worked on Moderna) just replied to this chick that it should be fully approved on or about Monday, followed by a simple and succinct yet solid explanation of why and how the vaccine was created so efficiently. Her ever-so-thought provoking and astute retort? 

"Not for me." 

Edited by TattleTeeny
48 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Well, here's one now...sort of? 

Someone in epidemiology (worked on Moderna) just replied to this chick that it should be fully approved on or about Monday, followed by a simple and succinct yet solid explanation of why and how the vaccine was created so efficiently. Her ever-so-thought provoking and astute retort? 

"Not for me." 

Jesus wept.

• Love 8

Well, getting ready for the Hurricane tomorrow morning.  It’s going smack thru the middle of my town, then on up the East coast.  My I pad is fully charged for Dorinda Medleys new book.  My phone is also charged up too.  Just hope the electricity doesn’t go out.  Stay safe everyone.  😰

• Love 10

One of my weather Pet Peeves: Living in Seattle you'd think we'd get our share of rain but the last few days have been dark, gloomy and dry. Sheesh, if it's gonna be like this why won't it at least rain??? We haven't had any appreciable rain since May.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

One of my weather Pet Peeves: Living in Seattle you'd think we'd get our share of rain but the last few days have been dark, gloomy and dry. Sheesh, if it's gonna be like this why won't it at least rain??? We haven't had any appreciable rain since May.

I'm just happy that the heat and smoke are gone, at least for now. Like most homes in Seattle, mine doesn't have air conditioning, so this has been a pretty miserable summer.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I'm just happy that the heat and smoke are gone, at least for now. Like most homes in Seattle, mine doesn't have air conditioning, so this has been a pretty miserable summer.

Yeah, we didn't get much smoke this year. At least it's not as bad as last summer's three weeks in Hell. 2018 was a great summer. Perfect weather and  the ideal amount of rain.

• Love 1
On 8/18/2021 at 5:25 AM, Leeds said:

I'm not sure that kittens ever outgrow their love of embroidery/knitting/crocheting etc!

No they don’t- but as an adult, my one cat didn’t like me doing needlepoint because I was only supposed to pay attention to him.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

No they don’t- but as an adult, my one cat didn’t like me doing needlepoint because I was only supposed to pay attention to him.

I had an ex-husband like that.  Problem was, I didn't get the rewards a snuggleupapuss gives.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

/CNBC

"I'm an American & I have rights!" I still haven't figured out how someone feels their right to not get vaccinated is more important than my right not to catch a disease from them & die.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, GaT said:

"I'm an American & I have rights!" I still haven't figured out how someone feels their right to not get vaccinated is more important than my right not to catch a disease from them & die.

Technically, everyone has the right to refuse vaccination (at least for now), as long as they're willing to accept the consequences, like not being able to patronize certain businesses, and in some cases, not being able to go to work. But I can totally see a bunch of people using that excuse to try to get into a restaurant or movie theater without proof of vaccination.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, GaT said:

If you ever figure that one out perhaps you can help me understand why the following gives someone the "right" to do whatever the hell they want.

• "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is a well-known phrase in the United States Declaration of Independence. The phrase gives three examples of the unalienable rights which the Declaration says have been given to all humans by their creator, and which governments are created to protect.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1