Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

Hey kiddo!  Toots over here thinks she’s the bee’s knees. Plastics, I tell you!

  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

And this:

how-to-look-slimmer-in-photos-1.jpg

Oops, I think I subconciously do that. Including the hand on the hip.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I have no idea where that "toots" came from.

A deep well of cultural memory, no doubt. You're carrying our American heritage forward with your smart mouth. I salute you.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Oops, I think I subconciously do that. Including the hand on the hip.

I do it. Not to look taller or thinner or whatever it’s supposed to do, but because I have no clue what to do with my hand while I’m waiting for what always seems to be in interminable amount of time for someone to take the picture that I most likely don’t want to be in anyway! And while I am a reasonably attractive person (is that bad to just come out and say? I don’t mean it in any boasty kind of way, I promise), I consistently look just awful in noncandid photos! It’s like a damn curse.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I do it. Not to look taller or thinner or whatever it’s supposed to do, but because I have no clue what to do with my hand while I’m waiting for what always seems to be in interminable amount of time for someone to take the picture that I most likely don’t want to be in anyway! And while I am a reasonably attractive person (is that bad to just come out and say? I don’t mean it in any boasty kind of way, I promise), I consistently look just awful in noncandid photos! It’s like a damn curse.

We sound so similar! I feel shy posing, but then standing there still with your hands at your side forever feels even more awkward. I feel like I have to do something at some point. My favorite photographers are the ones who snap, snap, snap, so we can get the picture nonsense over with. 

Do you deal with eye strain? I think that's one thing that affects how I look in pictures where I have to stand there forever and smile. My eyes start hurting after awhile. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I'm calling myself out, I'm a pet peeve today. I'm the person who ran errands during lunch and put things in the work fridge to keep until I leave today. In my defense, I didn't plan on buying perishable groceries but I saw this frozen pizza I love and can never find anywhere at Target today. I grabbed two of them and stuck them in the giant freezer at work. I can never complain about people hogging the fridge at work again, I know. 

IMO it’s annoying only when it’s still there for days afterwards.  I’ve done food shopping at lunchtime a few times and put the perishables in the work refrigerator for the afternoon. I took them home at the end of the day.  Never had a problem.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Cobb Salad said:

IMO it’s annoying only when it’s still there for days afterwards.  I’ve done food shopping at lunchtime a few times and put the perishables in the work refrigerator for the afternoon. I took them home at the end of the day.  Never had a problem.  

SOP when I worked full time. At least you didn't nuke some fish. I believe that's punishable by death in some states.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

SOP when I worked full time. At least you didn't nuke some fish. I believe that's punishable by death in some states.

Hey, just EATING fish (tuna salad (real or not) or salt fish to be more specific) is punishable.  Back in high school, I once ate tuna salad in the senior student common room and one girl asked me to go elsewhere because she wanted to check her email (this was in the 90s and the room had a computer specifically for school email.  She could have gone to the library or used any of the computer labs, but NO, she wanted to use the one in the common room).  To be fair, I could have eaten in the caf, but as a senior student, I wanted to hang there, away from the younger kids.

Edited by PRgal
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

At least you didn't nuke some fish. I believe that's punishable by death in some states.

If it's not, it should be. 

I worked in an office one time where a girl nuked leftover steamed broccoli. I had no idea something could smell worse than nuked fish, but it was unreal. I can't even describe the smell, it was so pungent. And the head of our department came stomping out of his office screaming about the smell and totally embarrassed this poor girl (she really had no idea it would smell that bad or that strongly). It took days for the smell to dissipate. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of stinky food at work, someone who used to work at my office would heat up hot dogs and peas (together) a few times a day to eat. It smelled horrible!

  • Surprise 9

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

Speaking of stinky food at work, someone who used to work at my office would heat up hot dogs and peas (together)

Excuse me W  H  A  T?!

  • Laugh 7
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

...I worked in an office one time where a girl nuked leftover steamed broccoli. I had no idea something could smell worse than nuked fish, but it was unreal. I can't even describe the smell, it was so pungent. And the head of our department came stomping out of his office screaming about the smell and totally embarrassed this poor girl (she really had no idea it would smell that bad or that strongly). It took days for the smell to dissipate. 

It took me months to realize that the nauseating smell coming from the office of the last sweet, young librarian who took the office next to mine before I retired was just her empty yogurt containers. 

And I'm laughing at the description of the odor in your post(s), but this reminds me of a peeve from before I retired:

Really Big Pet Peeve:

  • TPTB not acting on significant issues noticed by new or lower-status employees, especially when costly renovations are being decided. 

The stinky nuked food odor situation is really just the "canary in the coal mine" signaling potentially deadly (in times of pandemic) and often costly effects of cheap decisions made by architects, engineers, and budget committees in the last few decades resulting in most newer or renovated buildings having No Windows That Open. Argh!

In these 5-story buildings with now-sealed windows on all sides, the occupants of scores of offices all wound up each running a portable heater or fan everyday because the architects sold the board of directors on the "cost cutting" of being able to do climate control more cheaply with no windows opening. (Wrong)

For those of us with migraines or asthma or other reactions to fragrances or other airborne chemicals and particles, it was also a real negative impact on health and quality of life (including the stinky microwaved food smells that last for days).

And I could fill many more paragraphs with other costly decisions made that were "penny wise and pound foolish" that the Big Wigs went along with while ignoring the observations of those who actually utilized, worked in, cleaned, or provided security for the building (or just had life-experience with similar structural mistakes) on which TPTB were spending many millions.

 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, Kawaiiko said:

Excuse me W  H  A  T?!

Mhmmm, that combination does not sound good at all! Rumor has it that the girl's husband had put her on a diet (wtf?!?!?!) and so she would eat hot dogs with peas a couple times during the day at work (I guess she was rebelling against the diet lol). 

  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

WHAT? Why not save the peas for at home in front of the weirdo diet-controlling husband and eat something more rebellious at work?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, TattleTeeny said:

WHAT? Why not save the peas for at home in front of the weirdo diet-controlling husband and eat something more rebellious at work?

Good point! It was a strange meal to eat if she was trying to rebel against the diet. I'd be like Garfield and shoveling lasagna in my mouth instead!

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

RIGHT! I know the real issue here is that crazy husband*, but if you are going to cheat on the diet, cheat satisfactorily!


*Unless, of course, she asked him to help keep her accountable?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Here's a first world pet peeve. I decided to invest in some Wolford tights. I got the Everyday10's in "fairly light" because the other color seemed TOO light. Well I wasn't expecting that the tights are way thicker than the 10 denier would lead you to believe. I was then told that high quality tights feel and look thicker because that's what makes them last long.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

Speaking of stinky food at work, someone who used to work at my office would heat up hot dogs and peas (together) a few times a day to eat. It smelled horrible!

Including the bun (the grossest thing in the world is nuked bread.  In middle and high school, some kids would buy cheese and bagels and then nuke it in the cafeteria microwave (grilled cheese, "ghetto" style), but EWWWWWWW!!!)?  Or just the wiener?  And peas as a topping? Or was it mushed up peas?  Besides, who puts PEAS on hotdogs?  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/21/2021 at 9:40 AM, shapeshifter said:

However, a little more along the lines of the posts above:
When my youngest was 12, outside in a Chicago winter getting 6 inches of snow off of the car because she had missed the school bus, which meant I would have to drive her (and be late for work at my still-new job) I looked out the window and saw she had no gloves or hat in dangerously low wind-chill, so I opened the door and (angrily) yelled at her to "Get in here and get some gloves and a hat!"

After work, my next door neighbor, new mother of an infant, came over to lecture me about yelling at my kid. 
She was not wrong, but there are times when we yell. I wish I had not.

Of course you wish you hadn’t yelled, but if there was a time and place, that was it.

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

Of course you wish you hadn’t yelled, but if there was a time and place, that was it.

Thank you.
And not yelling at all would have required putting on my 30-degree-below freezing attire over my pajamas when the goal was to get ready ASAP to drive her to school before getting to work late. And, once you start raising your voice, it seems natural to get aggressive about it (like at sporting events).
But I'm pretty sure I said nothing to my criticizing new-parent neighbor, which probably had a better effect than any excuse or explanation anyway --demonstrating that I was not in-general reactionary.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/21/2021 at 11:50 AM, Lady Whistleup said:

The pose that annoys me is when women deliberately put one leg way in front of the other to look thin by making it seem like there's a gap between their legs.
And this:

how-to-look-slimmer-in-photos-1.jpg

Okay, sorry but I’m gonna completely own it: I pose in pics EXACTLY like the gal does on the right! 🤷‍♀️

But why shouldn’t we ladies do this though? What’s the alternative—should we just look lumpy and dumpy over posed and pretty??

Look how much better she obviously appears when her leg is cocked a bit and her hand on her hip: it’s *such* an improvement over her lazier pose on the left.
I’ve posed like this instinctually since my early 20’s because back when I modeled we were taught to “find flattering angles” and pose in ways to emphasize length and leanness. And these days I’ll damned well do anything and pose any crazy way to take a few inches off my pics in an attempt to look less naturally fluffy! 😜

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, PRgal said:

Including the bun (the grossest thing in the world is nuked bread.  In middle and high school, some kids would buy cheese and bagels and then nuke it in the cafeteria microwave (grilled cheese, "ghetto" style), but EWWWWWWW!!!)?  Or just the wiener?  And peas as a topping? Or was it mushed up peas?  Besides, who puts PEAS on hotdogs?  

She would eat it mixed together. Slices hot dogs and peas. I googled that out of curiosity and found a few pictures so maybe this is a thing??? Still ewww!

Re: the ghetto grilled cheese, I have never heard of those but I could totally imagine the smell and it wouldn’t be appetizing at all!

4E8A6636-F5FC-4D1E-B999-ACDD89D65E92.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/22/2021 at 10:11 AM, PRgal said:

Hey, just EATING fish (tuna salad (real or not) or salt fish to be more specific) is punishable.  Back in high school, I once ate tuna salad in the senior student common room and one girl asked me to go elsewhere because she wanted to check her email (this was in the 90s and the room had a computer specifically for school email.  She could have gone to the library or used any of the computer labs, but NO, she wanted to use the one in the common room).  To be fair, I could have eaten in the caf, but as a senior student, I wanted to hang there, away from the younger kids.

I worked in a medical office and my desk was in the back room where the refrigerator was and where everyone would take lunch breaks.  My friend was back there one day eating canned salmon - you think tuna fish stinks!

  • Surprise 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/21/2021 at 9:13 PM, peacheslatour said:

OP when I worked full time. At least you didn't nuke some fish. I believe that's punishable by death in some states.

A couple of decades ago, there was a company the used to sell vegetarian salisbury steak in a pouch in the refrigerated section of the grocery store.   I bought it for years and I loved it.  Several years later, I bought one, pulled it out of the refrigerator, vented the plastic and microwaved it.   It smelled bad, real bad.  Peeling paint off the walls bad.  I have never smelled anything that awful in my life.  It took forever to air out the microwave and the rest of the house.   I tried everything to try and get that smell out of the microwave, and eventually I succeeded. I had to double bag the salsbury steak and throw it in an outside trash can.

I never knew what happened, all I know is that the company that used to make it stopped making it shortly after that.

Cooking fish in a microwave smells like a bed of roses compared to that salisbury steak smell. 

18 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

She would eat it mixed together. Slices hot dogs and peas. I googled that out of curiosity and found a few pictures so maybe this is a thing??? Still ewww!

Re: the ghetto grilled cheese, I have never heard of those but I could totally imagine the smell and it wouldn’t be appetizing at all!

4E8A6636-F5FC-4D1E-B999-ACDD89D65E92.jpeg

It definitely looks like someone peaed on that plate.

I am more distracted by that hideous plate pattern.  That pattern is probably a distraction so people don't really see what they are eating.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

I have always hated having my picture taken, and it has always pissed me off when people couldn't respect that and wouldn't stop bugging me about.  In some cases taking my picture after I asked them not to.  Other times hounding me and being a giant pain in the ass until I gave in and let them take my picture.   It is a respect thing, not an ego thing.

The one thing that I never used to do, but for whatever reason have started to do is looking at everything that surrounds the focal point of a photograph.  For some reason I am more interested in the background of the photo.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

She would eat it mixed together. Slices hot dogs and peas. I googled that out of curiosity and found a few pictures so maybe this is a thing??? Still ewww!

Re: the ghetto grilled cheese, I have never heard of those but I could totally imagine the smell and it wouldn’t be appetizing at all!

4E8A6636-F5FC-4D1E-B999-ACDD89D65E92.jpeg

I love most vegetables, but I hate peas, so this is an unsettling picture 🙀

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I love most vegetables, but I hate peas, so this is an unsettling picture 🙀

Glad I'm not the only one. There's already enough incomprehensible fads and preferences out there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I love most vegetables, but I hate peas,

I think peas are actually (botanically, anyway) legumes.  Which would make my dislike of them make sense; I hate most legumes other than peanuts and love most vegetables other than root vegetables.

Share this post


Link to post

Not being able to register tone via email. Sometimes I'll realize I probably responded too seriously to someone not making a serious statement. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I think a lot of the peeves about "stinky foods" would be lessened if more workplaces had things like toaster ovens rather than microwaves.  Baking fish in a toaster oven isn't nearly as permeating as nuking it in a microwave (also, bonus, it doesn't get overcooked and rubbery).

Once upon a golden time, children, the New York Public Library had full kitchens in every single fucking circulating branch of the Library.  Because the Powers That Be at that time felt that having the staff cook and prepare meals of all kinds together built warm feelings and made the whole place more homey - and of course allowed for the patrons to have community-based events in the community room that involved serving food, since they had a real kitchen to prepare the food in. This was true, and then about twenty years ago there came a regime change.   After that, the stoves were removed (and replaced with cabinets that didn't open) and instead we were faced with microwaves that sat on top of  the fridge (at least we kept that). We did retain the sinks, but also lost anything along the lines of a couch that you could actually lie down on.

I suppose this is also the place to mention that the staff was not and is not majority White American.  Mostly the circulating branch staff were African-American, Afro-Caribbean, Indo-Caribbean, Hispanic or Asian.  There would be years at a time at my own branch where I was the only white staff person, and for that matter,  about half the white people I ever worked with were European immigrants rather than American-born Euro-Americans like myself.  As you might imagine a lot of these folks were cooking foods many Americans might find "stinky."  I honestly don't remember any staff person complaining about some other staff person cooking fish or curry or bigos with sauerkraut or mapo tofu or whatever. I'm not going to pretend that there wasn't some trash talk among the staff about stink - but two things.  First, there was SO MUCH LESS stink when we had a stovetop.  Second, once we had the microwave based stink the complaints from the PATRONS (since the staff room was on the same floor as the auditorium) increased tremendously.  Microwaves distort smells because they cook in a very particular way.

So, simple peeve.  Replace microwaves in office kitchens with toaster ovens or induction or something.

 

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

So, simple peeve.  Replace microwaves in office kitchens with toaster ovens or induction or something.

Or have sufficient staff and scheduling so as to enable folks to actually, you know, escape for an hour or so, and enjoy some time away from their work environment.  I realize that some don't prefer that, but for me, if you wish to have a meal that requires heating/cooking, it should be outside of the workspace.  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I think a lot of the peeves about "stinky foods" would be lessened if more workplaces had things like toaster ovens rather than microwaves.  Baking fish in a toaster oven isn't nearly as permeating as nuking it in a microwave (also, bonus, it doesn't get overcooked and rubbery).

Once upon a golden time, children, the New York Public Library had full kitchens in every single fucking circulating branch of the Library.  Because the Powers That Be at that time felt that having the staff cook and prepare meals of all kinds together built warm feelings and made the whole place more homey - and of course allowed for the patrons to have community-based events in the community room that involved serving food, since they had a real kitchen to prepare the food in. This was true, and then about twenty years ago there came a regime change.   After that, the stoves were removed (and replaced with cabinets that didn't open) and instead we were faced with microwaves that sat on top of  the fridge (at least we kept that). We did retain the sinks, but also lost anything along the lines of a couch that you could actually lie down on.

I suppose this is also the place to mention that the staff was not and is not majority White American.  Mostly the circulating branch staff were African-American, Afro-Caribbean, Indo-Caribbean, Hispanic or Asian.  There would be years at a time at my own branch where I was the only white staff person, and for that matter,  about half the white people I ever worked with were European immigrants rather than American-born Euro-Americans like myself.  As you might imagine a lot of these folks were cooking foods many Americans might find "stinky."  I honestly don't remember any staff person complaining about some other staff person cooking fish or curry or bigos with sauerkraut or mapo tofu or whatever. I'm not going to pretend that there wasn't some trash talk among the staff about stink - but two things.  First, there was SO MUCH LESS stink when we had a stovetop.  Second, once we had the microwave based stink the complaints from the PATRONS (since the staff room was on the same floor as the auditorium) increased tremendously.  Microwaves distort smells because they cook in a very particular way.

So, simple peeve.  Replace microwaves in office kitchens with toaster ovens or induction or something.

 

I had the microwave taken out of my flower shop once I took it over. The place was supposed to smell like flowers. Jeez!

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just got back from the grocery store and noticed that my tomatoes were packed on the bottom of the bag.   On top of them were rolls.   Luckily the tomatoes were fine, but I just don't get it.   It is never a good idea to put tomatoes in the bottom of the grocery bag.  Even if everything on top of them is relatively light, resulting in zero tomato smooshage, there is a good chance the tomatoes will at least get bruised when the grocery bag is set in the grocery cart when leaving the grocery store.  Morons.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post

I guess I’m a moron then, I have never worried that my tomatoes would get bruised in the bottom of my grocery bag. 

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

There were once tomatoes in my backyard that were hatching a plot to take over the world and were virtually indestructible.  I understood the inspiration for Attack of the Killer Tomatoes that summer.  

  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I guess I’m a moron then, I have never worried that my tomatoes would get bruised in the bottom of my grocery bag.

There were multiple bags that the grocery bagger could have put the tomatoes in.   He just chose to put them in the bottom of the grocery bag when it wasn't necessary.  I was pissed.  There wasn't a mess, but there easily could have been.  I can't watch him pack the groceries, and the cashier at the same time.

1 minute ago, ParadoxLost said:

There were once tomatoes in my backyard that were hatching a plot to take over the world and were virtually indestructible.  I understood the inspiration for Attack of the Killer Tomatoes that summer. 

I stopped growing my own tomatoes when I lost the battle with slugs and deer.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't plant a garden this year, but between my parents and a friend, I still have plenty of tomatoes.  Those things at the grocery store are flavor-free abominations of nature by comparison.  One of my many issues with Big Agra - breeding for uniformity and abundance at the expense of flavor.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't plant a garden this year, but between my parents and a friend, I still have plenty of tomatoes.  Those things at the grocery store are flavor-free abominations of nature by comparison.  One of my many issues with Big Agra - breeding for uniformity and abundance at the expense of flavor.

I haven't had a good plain tomato in years & this includes the farmers market & peoples' home garden tomatoes. They're all tasteless. So, I only buy Roma (plum) and Campari as they still have a good tomato-y taste. I've heard that the taste has been bred out of tomatoes so that their appearance & sturdiness (for shipping & display) can be enhanced. If I do buy a tomato, I'll sprinkle sugar on it & then some tomato-y taste returns. MrP914 says the best tomatoes he ever had were in Moldova.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I guess I’m a moron then, I have never worried that my tomatoes would get bruised in the bottom of my grocery bag. 

If you are packing your own grocery bag and you pack the tomatoes on the bottom, than you assume the risk, but if someone else is packing the grocery bags they need to be more careful how they are packing bags. 

I would rather have my tomatoes on top of my buns as opposed to being under them.  All the grocery bagger had to do was reverse how he packed that bag.

36 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I haven't had a good plain tomato in years & this includes the farmers market & peoples' home garden tomatoes. They're all tasteless. So, I only buy Roma (plum) and Campari as they still have a good tomato-y taste. I've heard that the taste has been bred out of tomatoes so that their appearance & sturdiness (for shipping & display) can be enhanced. If I do buy a tomato, I'll sprinkle sugar on it & then some tomato-y taste returns. MrP914 says the best tomatoes he ever had were in Moldova.

Heirloom tomatoes usually have the best flavor.  They may not look all that appealing on the outside, but they do usually have the best flavor.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I would rather have my tomatoes on top of my buns as opposed to being under them. 

Then the buns get squashed...

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I would rather have my tomatoes on top of my buns as opposed to being under them.  All the grocery bagger had to do was reverse how he packed that bag.

 

10 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Then the buns get squashed...

I'm sure I'll regret wading into such a contentious debate, but...  it sounds like those were the only two items in the bag?  I'd opt for putting them side-by-side.  With the egg carton balanced across the top, of course.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 8
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm sure I'll regret wading into such a contentious debate, but...  it sounds like those were the only two items in the bag?  I'd opt for putting them side-by-side.  With the egg carton balanced across the top, of course.

Buns should go on top if they weigh less than the tomatoes, but yes, then the tomatoes will be hidden by the buns and are at risk of getting damaged if/when the bag is set down hard.

So what's a poor high school-age bagger to do? 

And I'm not gonna touch the egg carton discussion with a ten-foot pole. 🤣

And this is why I really like to bag my own groceries whenever possible.
Seriously. The last time I didn't bag my own tomatoes they were bruised when I got home.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

What is it with packing tomatoes badly this week? I got cherry tomatoes this morning that came in a rectangular cardboard box. I bought 2 boxes, and instead of laying them flat in the bag, the cashier stood them each on end, so the tomatoes all slid down on top of each other. I didn’t think the tomato massacre would happen to me, but I am not immune.

  • Laugh 5
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

What is it with packing tomatoes badly this week? I got cherry tomatoes this morning that came in a rectangular cardboard box. I bought 2 boxes, and instead of laying them flat in the bag, the cashier stood them each on end, so the tomatoes all slid down on top of each other. I didn’t think the tomato massacre would happen to me, but I am not immune.

Just to clarify, my laugh icon is because of your wonderfully amusing phrasing, @MargeGunderson.
I do mourn for your tomatoes.

We should all buy buckets in which to grow our own. 
And lettuce too. Don't get me started (again!) on the Western NY lettuce.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I haven't had a good plain tomato in years & this includes the farmers market & peoples' home garden tomatoes. They're all tasteless.

If people are using seeds/plants from factory farms to grow their own tomatoes, then, yes, they're going to taste almost the same as the flavor-free abominations at the grocery store (a little better since they'll be eaten freshly picked rather than after having been shipped and stored).  If you find someone part of a growers collective, you'll find produce that tastes like it's supposed to.  It's a shame there's so little access to that anymore.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Then the buns get squashed...

It's been a very long time since my buns have been squashed.

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm sure I'll regret wading into such a contentious debate, but...  it sounds like those were the only two items in the bag?  I'd opt for putting them side-by-side.  With the egg carton balanced across the top, of course.

Would you rather have a rabbit season, duck season, debate?  I am a vegetarian, I will settle for carrots and peas.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Yesterday, I cringed when the bagger loaded my bag with nectarines, plums, and apricots, only to throw the bananas on top. I just consoled myself by saying that it was only a 10 minute drive home, so damage would be minimal. When I unpacked, everything seemed okay.

This time.👽

 

  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yesterday, I cringed when the bagger loaded my bag with nectarines, plums, and apricots, only to throw the bananas on top. I just consoled myself by saying that it was only a 10 minute drive home, so damage would be minimal. When I unpacked, everything seemed okay.

This time.👽

 

This packaging makes sense to me. While bananas could bruise if placed under the stone fruits it's unlikely the stone fruits would be damaged by the bananas.  Unless they literally threw them on top. That's going to result in bruised bananas. Which I hate. A bruised banana then has to get over-ripe so I can peel and freeze it for banana bread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

A little stone fruit 🍑 isn't going to damage the 🍌 I buy, which are on the under ripe (to green) side so as to last the week. I'd worry more if they were ripe. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I stopped growing my own tomatoes when I lost the battle with slugs and deer.

The year (yes, year - singular) I decided to grow my own tomatoes (against my better judgement), I became a prolific aphid rancher.  I then notified my local grocer that he need not adjust his tomato inventory going forward.

  • Laugh 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size