Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I woke up this morning with red welts: 2 near my collarbone and two on my lower back. Around mid-day they started to itch so I put Cortizone-10 ointment on them. It only helps a little. I see my derm PA on Wednesday for other stuff so maybe she can prescribe something better.  How the heck did I get these mite bites? I haven't been outdoors since Friday.

My previous rental had tiny "yellow sac" spiders that left itchy bumps about like flea bites, but these sound bigger, like mosquitos?

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I just learned from a neighbor that deer do not eat nasturtiums! 

They also don’t like herbs or marigolds. I did a deer free planter that had a rosemary plant surrounded by marigolds this year and they have passed on eating it. They also don’t like Irish Spring soap so you can try putting a few bars of that soap near your plants to hopefully thwart them. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

My previous rental had tiny "yellow sac" spiders that left itchy bumps about like flea bites, but these sound bigger, like mosquitos?

Even bigger. Some folks at my neighborhood weekly gathering last Thursday were talking about having these itchy welts. And there was an article in the Washington Post about oak tree mites causing this misery. 

• Useful 2
2 minutes ago, EighteenTwelve said:

Something bit me nine times on the right foot on Saturday.  No idea what it was, although I suspect no-see-ums.  But I've got one patch of welts, one patch of rash, and one patch of blisters, and they all ITCH.

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but here in northern New England we just went through a plague of brown-tail moths. They build fuzzy nests in trees and shed microscopic hairs that attach themselves to grass and leaves and become airborne. They then stick in people's skin and can even be inhaled. My husband had a bad rash on both his arms that started out looking like a lot of little bug bites. While the infestation was at its height, you couldn't buy a tube of Benadryl cream in the whole state. Anyway, what you're describing sounds sort of like that, so if you're in this area, you might want to look into it. (I don't know if they're an issue anywhere else in the country.)

• Love 1

I agree, no see-ums are probably the culprit. I'm in southern CT and have to water the garden in socks, long pants, long sleeves, and gloves or else I'm eaten alive. I have over a dozen bites on each leg although my left seems especially tasty to the little bastards. I also wear a mask and sunglasses because gnats love to fly in my face.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Even bigger. Some folks at my neighborhood weekly gathering last Thursday were talking about having these itchy welts. And there was an article in the Washington Post about oak tree mites causing this misery. 

I did a little Googling for oak tree mites, and it seems they like to eat cicada eggs, so that could explain why there are more of them this year--depending upon whether there are cicadas in your area.

I had one weird itchy bite on my arm that I hardly rubbed and it turned into a small bruise-looking spot. It stopped itching within an hour or two, but that was a week ago and I still have a red mark, though it's shrinking. 
Just curious.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I did a little Googling for oak tree mites, and it seems they like to eat cicada eggs, so that could explain why there are more of them this year--depending upon whether there are cicadas in your area.

I had one weird itchy bite on my arm that I hardly rubbed and it turned into a small bruise-looking spot. It stopped itching within an hour or two, but that was a week ago and I still have a red mark, though it's shrinking. 
Just curious.

Yes, we had a *lot* of cicadas here this time around (vs 17 years ago). All I know is that they're causing large red welts that itch like crazy. Two of mine are large; the other two on my back are small but red & also itch a lot. It will be interesting to hear what the derm PA says about them tomorrow.  Good luck with yours!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I don't know what part of the country you're in, but here in northern New England we just went through a plague of brown-tail moths. They build fuzzy nests in trees and shed microscopic hairs that attach themselves to grass and leaves and become airborne. They then stick in people's skin and can even be inhaled. My husband had a bad rash on both his arms that started out looking like a lot of little bug bites. While the infestation was at its height, you couldn't buy a tube of Benadryl cream in the whole state. Anyway, what you're describing sounds sort of like that, so if you're in this area, you might want to look into it. (I don't know if they're an issue anywhere else in the country.)

Never heard of them, and now I've scratched New England from my list of potential retirement locales, lol.

• LOL 6
13 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Never heard of them, and now I've scratched New England from my list of potential retirement locales, lol.

I've ordered all the state flags to be lowered to half staff. And I see that the moths are already wearing black armbands.

• LOL 8
On 8/16/2021 at 9:13 AM, TattleTeeny said:

When I was little, I used to like to cut things with scissors that I shouldn’t have—some wind chimes, the mesh on my sister’s playpen, doll hair, my sister’s hair, etc. To teach me a lesson, my dad didn’t take away my little-kid scissors; he replaced them with the green-handled lefties!

Which reminds me when I was a little girl.  I absolutely loved paper dolls.  After a day at the beach and a bath for sunburn, my friends and I used to sit in front of the house and cut out paper dolls from Woolworths.  It was my favorite memory of my childhood.  I was warm and fuzzy inside thinking of doing that on the way home on the bus.  Something to look forward to.  They still sell them on Amazon.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, EighteenTwelve said:

Something bit me nine times on the right foot on Saturday.  No idea what it was, although I suspect no-see-ums.  But I've got one patch of welts, one patch of rash, and one patch of blisters, and they all ITCH.

Use “Witch Hazel” from the drug store.  Pat on with a cotton ball.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, EighteenTwelve said:

As I just told someone down thread, buy a bottle of “witch  Hazel” in the drug store.  Pat on with cotton ball.  It’s cheap and works better than any ointment I’ve tried.  I used it for the shingles I had.  Whenever we get bites, we rub it on.   ( double post).  I’m tired and am reading backwards.

Edited by kristen111
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Which reminds me when I was a little girl.  I absolutely loved paper dolls.  After a day at the beach and a bath for sunburn, my friends and I used to sit in front of the house and cut out paper dolls from Woolworths.  It was my favorite memory of my childhood.  I was warm and fuzzy inside thinking of doing that on the way home on the bus.  Something to look forward to.  They still sell them on Amazon.

Awww, that is so cute! (But I hope your dad allowed you to have the correct scissors! I have to admit that was a clever way to punish me. Touché, Dad—if indeed that is your name!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/16/2021 at 9:13 AM, TattleTeeny said:

When I was little, I used to like to cut things with scissors that I shouldn’t have—some wind chimes, the mesh on my sister’s playpen, doll hair, my sister’s hair, etc. To teach me a lesson, my dad didn’t take away my little-kid scissors; he replaced them with the green-handled lefties!

As a parent of 3 and aunt of a nephew who was always cutting his sister’s bangs off, this sounds like rather than ‘teaching you a lesson,’ your dad was trying to prevent you from destroying stuff without thwarting your desire to cut things with scissors. No?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

A little from column A, a little from column B. While my mom was just a yeller and, later, a grounder, my dad has always been more of an “OK then, game on” sort. And to this day, I have no doubt that he laughed at his 5-year-old struggling with that green-handled nightmare! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
On 8/14/2021 at 9:56 PM, shapeshifter said:

A huge pet peeve of mine when I was married the one time (once was enough!) for 8 years in the 1980s was that my ex slept 12-18 hours per day. Talk about a miss-match!

My ex would nap during the day on weekends rather than getting stuff done or spending time with our kids and me.  And then complain that he couldn't sleep and that stuff hadn't got done.

On 8/16/2021 at 5:23 AM, ABay said:

Handedness is a continuum, as least for those of us who are predominantly left-handed; we're all ambidextrous, some more than others. I write with my left but use scissors with my right (like there's a choice), throw right, catch left, bat left, when chopping food I hold the knife in my left hand but when cutting food on a plate and eating I hold it in my right. I heard a researcher say that he studies left-handers' brains because there are so many fascinating differences while right-handers' brains are all the same.

Ambidextrous means able to use one's left or right left hand interchangeably.  I am right-handed, and while at a push I can write with my left, it looks like a three year old's attempt.  Not ambidextrous.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:12 AM, peacheslatour said:

Wow! That is just gorgeous. How long did it take you to do that? I used to love to do embroidery, I really should get back into it. As soon as my kitten gets a little older.

I'm not sure that kittens ever outgrow their love of embroidery/knitting/crocheting etc!

6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I find tiger balm helps for insect bites - possibly because the sting of menthol gives your mind something else to concentrate on rather than the urge to scratch!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Leeds said:
8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I find tiger balm helps for insect bites - possibly because the sting of menthol gives your mind something else to concentrate on rather than the urge to scratch!

If cortisone cream doesn't work, I go for ice, but I also used to use ice for minor burns (not more than first degree), and now "they" say do not use ice -- just cold water --so I don't know if ice is okay for itchy reactions to bugs and plants. 
Peeve: Trying to keep up with changing medical advice
I could message my doctor if it gets bad enough, but it's not that bad. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If cortisone cream doesn't work, I go for ice, but I also used to use ice for minor burns (not more than first degree), and now "they" say do not use ice -- just cold water --so I don't know if ice is okay for itchy reactions to bugs and plants. 
Peeve: Trying to keep up with changing medical advice
I could message my doctor if it gets bad enough, but it's not that bad. 

Ice is fine for a bug bite. All you're doing is numbing it so you won't feel it for a few seconds, so I wouldn't call it overly effective (though I do it also), but safe.  As for the burns, I think it's OK to use an ice pack or ice wrapped in something, you just don't want the ice to directly contact the skin.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Besides the thousands of commercials we have to sit thru on tv, they play the SAME movies week after week.  Can’t they go into the vault and get different movies?  They are forcing us to pay extra for Netflix, Hulu, now Peacock,etc.  Don’t we pay enough for cable already?  What the hell?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Besides the thousands of commercials we have to sit thru on tv, they play the SAME movies week after week.  Can’t they go into the vault and get different movies?  They are forcing us to pay extra for Netflix, Hulu, now Peacock,etc.  Don’t we pay enough for cable already?  What the hell?

If people would just stop subscribing to every friggin' streaming service, they would stop making new ones.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Thanks so much for a wonderful trip down memory lane!  One of my little girlfriends & I loved cutting out & playing with our paper dolls. We then moved on to Ginny Dolls (complete with cute outfits, furniture & "trunks").

• Love 3

I've made a playlist on YouTube with some bands I like. They span from the 1960s to the early 2000s.

My pet peeve of today: The endless comments under YouTube videos of "older" music that cry about the crappy music of today and that only old music was quality music. Soo annoying. And repetitive. It happens with music from every decade. And will happen again. Why do older people think that they are the only ones who know good music? And then the young people of today will repeat the same refrain once they hit a certain age.

I'm in my middle age and if this is what conversations will be like with my fellow old people for the rest of my life, shoot me now.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I'm in my middle age and if this is what conversations will be like with my fellow old people for the rest of my life, shoot me now.

What's driving me crazy is the war some of my friends are waging  with what they choose to call "the millenials" which it appears seems to mean "everyone younger than me".  I do get that many younger people have some problems with the "boomers" (and frankly I can't really blame them) but even so making everything a blanket putdown of another generation is just annoying as hell to this boomer!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, WinnieWinkle said:

What's driving me crazy is the war some of my friends are waging  with what they choose to call "the millenials" which it appears seems to mean "everyone younger than me".  I do get that many younger people have some problems with the "boomers" (and frankly I can't really blame them) but even so making everything a blanket putdown of another generation is just annoying as hell to this boomer!

It's especially annoying to hear people griping about millennials because speaking as one of them...most of us are in our 30s, getting close to 40 years old now. Yet some reason people seem to lump us in with all the other young people they have a problem with. 

11 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I've made a playlist on YouTube with some bands I like. They span from the 1960s to the early 2000s.

My pet peeve of today: The endless comments under YouTube videos of "older" music that cry about the crappy music of today and that only old music was quality music. Soo annoying. And repetitive. It happens with music from every decade. And will happen again. Why do older people think that they are the only ones who know good music? And then the young people of today will repeat the same refrain once they hit a certain age.

YES. God, yes. I also love the comments from people who are, like, 13, 14 years old and liking that kind of music and acting like they're so much more mature and better than other kids their age for liking "the good stuff" instead of what's popular right now. Those comments don't annoy me so much as they make me go, "Aw, that's cute, they'll grow out of that phase eventually." I should know, I went through it when I was a teenager, too :p. 

But yeah, for older people, it's fine if the music of today isn't your thing, of course, but that doesn't make it bad. Too many people confuse "I don't like this" with "This objectively sucks". Music is always going to change, it's not going to sound exactly the way it did when you were young. Nor should it, 'cause that would mean it's gotten incredibly stagnant, which is not good for a creative outlet such as music. 

I never want to get that way, either. I've been really lucky in that my parents were always accepting of what my sister and I listened to, and liked a lot of newer music besides, and even when they didn't, they never mocked us for liking it or said it wasn't "real music" or whatever. I want to have that same attitude as well. I want to be open to hearing new music, and even if some of it isn't my thing, if others enjoy it, awesome. More power to ya. 

On another note, I also love the YouTube comments, usually under rock videos, where people say, "If you don't like this, go listen to Justin Bieber." 'Cause apparently our only two musical options are this rock group or Bieber (to say nothing of how nobody ever considers the idea that somebody might actually like...gasp...both!).

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, supposebly said:

My pet peeve for the day is people whose only topic of conversation is their various maladies and aches and pains.  A few years ago I made a pact with my two best friends that when we're all together in our local old people's home if one of us starts yammering on about her joints or her bowels the other two have permission to euthanize her.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Leeds said:

My pet peeve for the day is people whose only topic of conversation is their various maladies and aches and pains.  A few years ago I made a pact with my two best friends that when we're all together in our local old people's home if one of us starts yammering on about her joints or her bowels the other two have permission to euthanize her.

A woman joined us for our weekly lunch who did the same thing. All she did was complain about her health or lack thereof. She also admitted she had gotten covid and had not gotten any shot. All of us had gotten it months ago. I was mad as hell. Pet peeve selfish obnoxious people who don't help themselves.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, rcc said:

A woman joined us for our weekly lunch who did the same thing. All she did was complain about her health or lack thereof. She also admitted she had gotten covid and had not gotten any shot. All of us had gotten it months ago. I was mad as hell. Pet peeve selfish obnoxious people who don't help themselves.

I would have excused myself and gone home. Nobody needs to put up with that.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Meal was already ordered. I should have taken it to go in retrospect.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Imagine to be confined to a wheelchair or a walker. It would take probably ages to flee this kind of thing. In that case, telling people to shut up is probably best. Have them leave.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

Heh, to be fair, I am millenial and like mostly old music, but I don't post those kinds of comments, I just keep them in my head, because why spoil other people's fun? My unfavorite type of comments under music videos, when I dare look down, is something like: "This was the favorite song of my sister/best friend/boyfriend/etc ..." followed by a long paragraph about how they died, followed by some platitude about listening to the song from heaven. I'm like, I am sad for you, but why should I feel sad listening to music I like, can't you write that in some more appropriate place, like a support group? 

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I'm like, I am sad for you, but why should I feel sad listening to music I like, can't you write that in some more appropriate place, like a support group? 

To be honest, I couldn't care less about the life of a YouTube commenter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Oh this made me smile.  I also loved paper dolls.  I still have a bunch I saved in department store shirt boxes (that, at the time, I had to REALLY convince my mom to give me).  

I was the only one in my family that liked them.  I remember getting my first set, and my mother warning me they were going to take a lot of time to cut out.  Of course my small hands, snub nosed child scissors weren’t working.  I was in my room on my bed…all sad about it and my Dad walked by.  My father was a quiet person, not super demonstrative.  He took one of the pages to cut for me, and the next morning I woke up to the whole set cut out for me precisely (he was an engineer).  Thank you for reminding me - my father died 15 years ago, but I miss him often.  🥰

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 19

I feel like I've been seeing this more and more  "He's not ignorant, he's just uninformed."  I was pretty sure that those two words are synonyms, so it's kind of annoying me.  I have a feeling that like so many other words, ignorant is being changed in meaning to hateful or evil or something.  Anyway, pet peeve is when I think words aren't being used correctly.

• Love 7
On 8/15/2021 at 9:30 PM, Stats Queen said:

My mom had to do all my French knots in my embroidery- I never was able to do them.

I am tempted to blame that on my being left-handed, but it was probably  just my incompetence. I did have one grandmother when taught me to knit left-handed but my other grandmother couldn’t teach me crochet… I was the only leftie in my immediate family.

However, now that I do a lot of beading jewelry I create a lot of unwelcome knots, some which seem to be French.

This is interesting, because there supposedly some threads and yarns that twist more if they are unwinding off the skein in one direction vs. another . . .  Just a thought. 

I knit and crochet right handed, but I see they now have plenty of YouTube videos to teach left handed craft skills.  Maybe there are some for embroidery. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm afraid my husband and I (and the other members of our immediate family) are early risers.  Don't hate us.  We just naturally wake up early.  I'd say I'm peeved at those who don't get up early, but I'm not.  We go places early when they're not crowded and get done quicker.  It's our little secret.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

Here's a peeve update:  A couple of months ago, I posted about the annoying checkout carousels at WalMart, where they were no longer used for (banned) plastic bags.  I even tweeted something to the company about it at the time.  Just went back for the first time this weekend, and the carousels had been removed!  I'm sure it's because they were reading this column and my tweet LOL.  Well, anyway,  it's still not a perfect bagging area, but it's much improved. 

Edited by GussieK
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

My pet peeve is this: I just spent a couple days in the hospital with something awful called C diff. If you know what that's like, you know how gross and dirty you feel. Well for whatever reason I asked several times to be allowed to shower and was denied each time. WHY? 

My other pet peeve is I never understood why your vitals and blood have to be drawn at 4 in the morning at a hospital when you've finally fallen asleep.

Edited by Lady Whistleup

@Lady Whistleup I wish you a speedy recovery! C diff is no joke!

I feel silly to post my pet peeve now because it's very minor compared to yours, but it's something that keeps happening to me and just happened again earlier today. I hate it when dog owners let their dogs get into my personal space and sniff, slobber, or jump on me without my permission. It's *never* acceptable for people to do that to each other, so why is it considered OK for dogs? And worst of all, if I ask the dog owner to keep their dog away from me, nine times out of ten they get huffy as if I'm the one being unreasonable. Today I was in an elevator when a woman entered with her dog, who immediately charged at me. I asked her to keep the dog away from me - the elevator was large enough and not crowded - but she stormed out, while telling me that "it's nice to be nice." I managed to retort that "it's also nice to not let your dog jump on strangers" before the elevator doors closed. Seriously, why are dog owners so presumptuous?

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 14
21 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

... dog owners let their dogs get into my personal space and sniff, slobber, or jump on me without my permission. It's *never* acceptable for people to do that to each other, so why is it considered OK for dogs? And worst of all, if I ask the dog owner to keep their dog away from me, nine times out of ten they get huffy as if I'm the one being unreasonable. Today I was in an elevator when a woman entered with her dog, who immediately charged at me. I asked her to keep the dog away from me - the elevator was large enough and not crowded - but she stormed out, while telling me that "it's nice to be nice." I managed to retort that "it's also nice to not let your dog jump on strangers" before the elevator doors closed. Seriously, why are dog owners so presumptuous?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. 
A lot of people became dog owners during the pandemic who were really not up to the task, which has made this a much more common occurrence. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have to expect to get slobbered on and/or growled at every time I go outside, but it seems like a lot of these people who should never have gotten dogs are now "re-homing" them, which is a separate problem, but not mine.

• Love 4

I have neighbors whom I love, but their dog not so much. It’s a nice lab, but it weighs more than I do and it thinks it’s a fun game to jump on me and land me on the floor. The neighbors think it’s cute. At my age I’m worried about breaking a bone. After this has happened 3X I no longer am willing to visit. Please people…control your dogs. 

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have neighbors whom I love, but their dog not so much. It’s a nice lab, but it weighs more than I do and it thinks it’s a fun game to jump on me and land me on the floor. The neighbors think it’s cute. At my age I’m worried about breaking a bone. After this has happened 3X I no longer am willing to visit. Please people…control your dogs. 

Exactly.

• Love 6
On 8/16/2021 at 1:12 PM, peacheslatour said:

Wow! That is just gorgeous. How long did it take you to do that? I used to love to do embroidery, I really should get back into it. As soon as my kitten gets a little older.

On 8/18/2021 at 5:25 AM, Leeds said:

I'm not sure that kittens ever outgrow their love of embroidery/knitting/crocheting etc!

My "kittens" are 6 and 8 and they love to "help" me crochet. I started crocheting last winter, when a small AAPI female owned business called The Woobles showed up on my Instagram. Best (and only) Instagram purchase, ever. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Have you told your neighbors that you don't like being tackled by their dog and are worried about getting hurt? My family and friends know that I'm not a dog person, so those who have very "friendly" dogs keep them in another room or in the yard when I visit.

• Love 6

A couple of weeks ago I had an encounter with a dog walker who was letting her little dog walk off leash.  It was on this car width size path in a mostly wooded area.  There was no way for me to get around them when I got closer so when I was a few feet away the dog of course started approaching me and began to bark.  I had my umbrella with me and was using it as a shield since I didn’t know what this dog was going to do and I didn’t want this dog getting any closer to me.  The owner was more concerned about what I could potentially do to her dog rather than try to restrain/leash it so I could pass by.  I told her this is a public area and that dog belongs on a leash.  I’ve seen her at the park I walk through lately in an open area tossing a ball toward her dog and letting it run around.   I’m okay with dogs that appear docile - this one is not. 

• Love 7