Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

I rarely complain and I won't fill out a survey if I can't truthfully leave good marks. I frequently compliment, either in person, via survey or via a contact us form. The customer is not always right and kindness goes a long, long way. I think everyone should have to work in retail or restaurant, an in-person customer facing job for at least a year. But my customer service peeve are companies that require their call centers to use scripts. It drives me fucking bananas and adds so much time to the call. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

33 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

But my customer service peeve are companies that require their call centers to use scripts. It drives me fucking bananas and adds so much time to the call. 

It's driving the employees nuts too. A family member is very frustrated at being unable to get emergency assistance to callers in a timely manner because management recently went to scripts to prevent law suits and insurance claims. Scripts should be used for training and guidance, not to second-guess or supplant the professional's response.

 

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Given my really low tolerance level for thoughtless people like dog owners who, IMO, shouldn't even have cats

On behalf of my cats, may I just say, "Hey!  I'm right here!"

Sorry Taffy, Casper, Catterpaws, and Jack. I just meant that cats don't need to be trained not to attack people on the beach.
Although, now that I've typed that, many years ago I temporarily cared for a cat whose people had moved 30 miles away and somehow he came home; he used to lay in wait to bite my ankles while I worked in the kitchen. Turned out his name was Laser Beam.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That word. OMG, the number of men I had to smile at, be nice to and pretend I didn't just want to just slap their stupid faces. Men who flirt with and/or say outrageous, degrading, sexualizing things to women trapped in behind the counter or because "the customer is always right" or because "it's a compliment!" It was horrible and dehumainzing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That word. OMG, the number of men I had to smile at, be nice to and pretend I didn't just want to just slap their stupid faces. Men who flirt with and/or say outrageous, degrading, sexualizing things to women trapped in behind the counter or because "the customer is always right" or because "it's a compliment!" It was horrible and 

Running out of steam.  Need a charge.

Edited by Hangin Out
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I've probably said it before, but women who do that fake baby or wannabe Disney princess voice. It's not sexy; it's not easy on the ears, make it stop! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I've probably said it before, but women who do that fake baby or wannabe Disney princess voice. It's not sexy; it's not easy on the ears, make it stop! 

Gosh yes.  I had a supervisor that talked like that.  You're my boss.  Speak like an adult!!!!!  I actually find it annoying when people talk baby talk to actual babies, but I'll be the bigger person and let that pass:)  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

This mindset is undoubtedly responsible for all the relationship advice posts on Reddit that boil down to, “My boyfriend and I are both mid- to late 20s and both have full-time jobs. We moved in together a year ago, and he refuses to do any household chores other than taking out the trash. He spends his evenings and weekends gaming, while I handle cooking, cleaning, and so forth. His parents reinforce this behavior by telling me that he deserves to relax after work, and that housework is the woman’s responsibility. What should I do?” 
 

My favorite answer so far: Pack up his clothes and belongings, and drop him and his stuff at his parents’ house. Inform them they have failed to raise a functioning adult and need to start over. 

I’d be tempted to add that the parents clearly failed to raise a male child capable of providing 100% for his family without his wife working, so he’s their problem.

My own mother once asked me why my husband was ironing his own shirt and I replied because he’s the one wearing it. It’s not like she ironed my stepfather’s clothes for him so I was really surprised by her comment. She also advised me not to ask my husband to do something fairly trivial (think put the milk back in the fridge) because he would resent me for nagging him (apparently me resenting him for not putting the milk back for the next 50 years was a cross I should bear quietly) I wondered who replaced my mother with this Stepford Wife. She is a perfect example of Midwest passive aggressive though, so I guess it’s not surprising. I come from long and proud line of passive aggressive practitioners, and they really hate it when I call them out on it and/or completely ignore their attempts to use it to get something from me. 

  • Like 13
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

My mother once said to me that is was wonderful that my husband was vacuuming. My response back to her was that I had made dinner the night before. 
She looked confused at the response so I told her that if he deserved praise for doing ordinary things around the house so did I. She never said anything that like again.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Gosh yes.  I had a supervisor that talked like that.  You're my boss.  Speak like an adult!!!!!  I actually find it annoying when people talk baby talk to actual babies, but I'll be the bigger person and let that pass:)  

Same. There's this scene in the 2004 movie 'Meet the Fockers'', where Robert de Niro's characters has quite the frowned face when his future son-in-law Greg (played by Ben Stiller) starts talking to his 2 year-old grandson with that silly baby talk and he goes: "Greg, Greg, Greg, don't infantilize him. Talk to him like an adult!" It never gets old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

This mindset is undoubtedly responsible for all the relationship advice posts on Reddit that boil down to, “My boyfriend and I re both mid- to late 20s and both have full-time jobs. We moved in together a year ago, and he refuses to do any household chores other than taking out the trash. He spends his evenings and weekends gaming, while I handle cooking, cleaning, and so forth. His parents reinforce this behavior by telling me that he deserves to relax after work, and that housework is the woman’s responsibility. What should I do?” 

My favorite answer so far: Pack up his clothes and belongings, and drop him and his stuff at his parents’ house. Inform them they have failed to raise a functioning adult and need to start over. 

Because I love a good social experiment, I'd first want the employed woman in the relationship to drop just the laundry off at the partner's parent's house with a cheerful: "Since I just got off work and I'm too tired to do your son's laundry, I knew you'd be glad to do it. You can drop it off after you're done."

And would this be an example of Positive Passive Aggression? Or is there a better term for it?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Because I love a good social experiment, I'd first want the employed woman in the relationship to drop just the laundry off at the partner's parent's house with a cheerful: "Since I just got off work and I'm too tired to do your son's laundry, I knew you'd be glad to do it. You can drop it off after you're done."

And would this be an example of Positive Passive Aggression? Or is there a better term for it?

When we were first married our little house had no laundry facilities so my MIL would pick up our clothes and do our laundry every week. Then when my job was closer to my parents house my mom did the same thing. After a year of this, we could finally afford a washer and dyer. Whew. Thanks ladies. Of course they were both retired and my dad and my FIL still worked but I know my dad would have done it too because when I was growing up, my dad had no problem doing any housework that needed doing . Not so much my FIL.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

56 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

My mother once said to me that is was wonderful that my husband was vacuuming. My response back to her was that I had made dinner the night before. 
She looked confused at the response so I told her that if he deserved praise for doing ordinary things around the house so did I. She never said anything that like again.

Almost this same conversation happened with my BF's stepfather! My BF mentioned that he'd vacuumed and his stepfather was baffled. Meanwhile, I am the "breadwinner" and also do most of the housework; to his credit, my BF said that. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Almost this same conversation happened with my BF's stepfather! My BF mentioned that he'd vacuumed and his stepfather was baffled. Meanwhile, I am the "breadwinner" and also do most of the housework; to his credit, my BF said that. 

Hah! When I was reading ^this post, I was really hoping the last sentence was going to end with:

Quote

...Meanwhile, I am the "breadwinner" and also do most of the housework; my BF's stepfather told him: "And you should be making the dinners too!"

--Different kind of "baffled," heh.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wish, haha! But he's a new business owner who's at his store 12 hours a day. Unless I want my dinner at 10 pm, it's up to me! (And everyone knows that 10 pm is SECOND dinner!)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I wish, haha! But he's a new business owner who's at his store 12 hours a day. Unless I want my dinner at 10 pm, it's up to me! (And everyone knows that 10 pm is SECOND dinner!)

Oh god, this reminds me. When my husband had his own business, he would get home at between 7PM and 7:30 so I fed my son at 6:30 and then my husband come in ravenous so I usually had a frozen pot pie in the oven waiting for him. Kiddo went to bed at 8:30 and I'd make second dinner for both of us. It wasn't really hard because I usually spent Sundays making big batches of chili, spaghetti sauce and fried rice so I just had to nuke it. Wears me out just to think about how we just ran all the time in those days.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Recent pet peeve are people (mainly coworkers since I'm around them more than anyone else) who act superior because of whatever beliefs they have and are very vocal about it and will not accept that others have a different opinion. Example is a coworker who refuses to get a Covid vaccine (which is fine, it's their choice) but she will say its because she doesn't want to be a "guinea pig" and go on a long rant about it. This same person has strong beliefs about children getting their ears pierced and was so vocal about it today and funny thing is she has no kids! Rant over....

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sorry Taffy, Casper, Catterpaws, and Jack. I just meant that cats don't need to be trained not to attack people on the beach.

That's true, the smaller of my two cats attacks me in my own home, and he has a foot fetish.   The bigger cat sleeps on the top of the couch, and has recently started to roll off the back side of the couch.   I put a cardboard box behind the couch to brace his fall.

My sibling took her dog to the beach a decade or so ago and her dog started charging at someone and that person was really upset.  I told my sibling that her dog belonged on a leash, and just because she may think her dog won't attack another person or another person's pet, there still are leash laws.  No one gets to pick and choose the laws they want to follow.

 

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

Recent pet peeve are people (mainly coworkers since I'm around them more than anyone else) who act superior because of whatever beliefs they have and are very vocal about it and will not accept that others have a different opinion. Example is a coworker who refuses to get a Covid vaccine (which is fine, it's their choice) but she will say its because she doesn't want to be a "guinea pig" and go on a long rant about it. This same person has strong beliefs about children getting their ears pierced and was so vocal about it today and funny thing is she has no kids! Rant over....

She should probably educate herself on the term “guinea pig,” then (though they probably prefer being called “clinical trial participants”).

Haha, my dad has strong feelings about kids’ ears being pierced. To be fair, though, when I learned this, I was 7 and some family friends who’d been babysitting me had just had mine done without his or my mom’s OK…which is really weird in hindsight.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

This same person has strong beliefs about children getting their ears pierced and was so vocal about it today and funny thing is she has no kids!

It definitely peeves me when people who have never had kids have anything to say about "the right way" to rear them. People who have only one kid and try to tell people with more than one kid how to deal with that dynamic should check themselves too!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

It definitely peeves me when people who have never had kids have anything to say about "the right way" to rear them. People who have only one kid and try to tell people with more than one kid how to deal with that dynamic should check themselves too!

I understand where you’re coming from, but you don’t have to be a parent to know that if a set of parents treats one kid like crap and a different kid is treated as the golden child growing up, there’s a good chance that once the kid who was treated like crap  is grown, that kid is going to resent its sibling and despise its parents. There are aspects of parenting where hands-on experience helps tremendously, and then there’s aspects where common sense should suffice. Sadly, a lot of parents seem to lack common sense. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, there are plenty of aspects of parenting one doesn't need experience to have an opinion on.  There are a ton of things in life one doesn't need to know the intricacies of first hand in order to comment on the results.

4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I was 7 and some family friends who’d been babysitting me had just had mine done without his or my mom’s OK…which is really weird in hindsight.

Oh my, yes.  I cannot imagine the thought process of babysitting someone else's kid and thinking, "You know what we should do before they get home?  Poke holes in her."

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It definitely peeves me when people who have never had kids have anything to say about "the right way" to rear them. People who have only one kid and try to tell people with more than one kid how to deal with that dynamic should check themselves too!

If the kids are out of control, act like jerks, and are completely disrespectful, I think any person has the right to call out the parent's who have raised those kids, even if they have never had kids of their own.

Of course that won't end well for the person calling out that behavior.  Chances are the parents will find their children's behavior acceptable, because they themselves exhibit that same behavior.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It definitely peeves me when people who have never had kids have anything to say about "the right way" to rear them. People who have only one kid and try to tell people with more than one kid how to deal with that dynamic should check themselves too!

What bothers me are people who loudly proclaim they hate kids (probably one of the last  entire group of human beings people feel comfortable admitting they hate to the world and his uncle) but also feel fully qualified to give an opinion and advice about a child's behavior based on a 2 minute interaction in a public place.  Gets on my last nerve.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I have no intention of ever having kids and I also have strong opinions about some stuff, like beating kids, circumcision and pierced ears and even having kids baptised (or basically doing anything irreversible and unnecessary without the kids consent), but after I have been told in nasty ways that I have no right to have these opinions (I disagree), I am mostly keeping them to myself.

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh my, yes.  I cannot imagine the thought process of babysitting someone else's kid and thinking, "You know what we should do before they get home?  Poke holes in her."

Personally I think that person should be sued.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, JustHereForFood said:

Well, I have no intention of ever having kids and I also have strong opinions about some stuff, like beating kids, circumcision and pierced ears and even having kids baptised (or basically doing anything irreversible and unnecessary without the kids consent), but after I have been told in nasty ways that I have no right to have these opinions (I disagree), I am mostly keeping them to myself.

Those are issues I don't think you need to have kids, or be around kids, to hold opinions on - the circumcision debate alone is one I remember a message board I used to be on getting VERY heated over several times over the time that I was a member.  Up to that point I had had no idea that it was even something most adults who didn't have male children gave even a passing thought to.  Boy was I wrong about that!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Those are issues I don't think you need to have kids, or be around kids, to hold opinions on

I agree and I am for example constantly horrified how many people of my generation (millenials) still think it is ok to hit your children. Yet when I tried to point out that it has no place in the 21st century, I have been told that since I have not experienced how exhausting it is to keep telling a kid something they ignore, or how horrible they can get (seriously!), or something to that effect, I should shut up about it. I mean, if one has that attitude, they should IMO not even have kids themselves.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh my, yes.  I cannot imagine the thought process of babysitting someone else's kid and thinking, "You know what we should do before they get home?  Poke holes in her."

Personally I think that person should be sued.

Sounds like abuse and assault to me. 

 

BTW, when I brought up the issue with my admittedly poorly contextualized post (sorry) 

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It definitely peeves me when people who have never had kids have anything to say about "the right way" to rear them. People who have only one kid and try to tell people with more than one kid how to deal with that dynamic should check themselves too!

I was thinking of my sister (mother of 1) telling me (mother of 3 who are each 5 years apart) that I should not ever buy anything new for the younger kids, because she and her husband had discussed what they would do if they ever had a second kid, so they knew.

However, a little more along the lines of the posts above:
When my youngest was 12, outside in a Chicago winter getting 6 inches of snow off of the car because she had missed the school bus, which meant I would have to drive her (and be late for work at my still-new job) I looked out the window and saw she had no gloves or hat in dangerously low wind-chill, so I opened the door and (angrily) yelled at her to "Get in here and get some gloves and a hat!"

After work, my next door neighbor, new mother of an infant, came over to lecture me about yelling at my kid. 
She was not wrong, but there are times when we yell. I wish I had not. But having her judging me was very upsetting and unhelpful, and did not prevent the few times in the future when I yelled. (My voice get squeaky if I yell, so there's not much point in it anyway.) More helpful would have been if she had asked why I was so upset, and maybe suggest I let my daughter know I yelled because I cared. But, no, I was Screaming Shrew Mom.

Another time she came over to lecture me about the same tween daughter taking hour long showers (she could hear the water running). I don't recall whether I talked about "choosing which hill to die on, etc." or not. Pretty sure in both cases I was too upset to say anything.

Final chapter: Twelve years later when she had 3 kids, she was back in town visiting a former coworker who shared with me that she realized she had been a real know-it-all jerk back then. 

So, not about stopping child abuse, which, yes, of course, I hope anyone would step up and do.

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

After work, my next door neighbor, new mother of an infant, came over to lecture me about yelling at my kid.

Oh wow - by the time my kids were 12 I was way more confident as a parent and I hate to tell you what I might have said to the busybody neighbour!  But when I was a younger woman and mother of younger kids someone making a point of coming over to lecture me probably would have reduced me to tears.  Did she expect you to hug her and thank her for showing you the One Correct Way to Parent?

In a roundabout way this reminds me of another peeve of mine: young newly marrieds who think they have all the answers to a Long and Happy Marriage - no, no you do not.  Step off the soapbox you're just embarrassing yourselves!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

What bothers me are people who loudly proclaim they hate kids (probably one of the last  entire group of human beings people feel comfortable admitting they hate to the world and his uncle) but also feel fully qualified to give an opinion and advice about a child's behavior based on a 2 minute interaction in a public place.  Gets on my last nerve.

Oh man this reminded me of an interaction a few years ago at a comic book/movie expo where we were standing in line for a photo op and my daughter (3yrs old at the time) did not want to stay in line with us and was squirming a lot, etc. She wasn't crying or being loud, she just didn't want to stay put. We took turns walking her around nearby, and the other would stay in line. Well we were close to being next, and so we were making her stay in line with us, and the guy behind us loudly says "I would never bring my kid to something like this..." We didn't say anything because it wasn't worth it and I wasn't about to get out of line or leave (we stupidly paid a lot for the photo op). It still gets me mad years later just thinking about it.

13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Haha, my dad has strong feelings about kids’ ears being pierced. To be fair, though, when I learned this, I was 7 and some family friends who’d been babysitting me had just had mine done without his or my mom’s OK…which is really weird in hindsight.

Wow, I can't believe they didn't ask your parents permission before doing that!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My dad also had some strong words for the friends that gave me champagne at a wedding in which I was the flower girl (what a weird title, by the way) and went to the reception in the limo with the wedding party instead of driving with my parents. Oh, the ‘70s.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Well, I have no intention of ever having kids and I also have strong opinions about some stuff, like beating kids, circumcision and pierced ears and even having kids baptised (or basically doing anything irreversible and unnecessary without the kids consent), but after I have been told in nasty ways that I have no right to have these opinions (I disagree), I am mostly keeping them to myself.

Personally I think that person should be sued.

I agree. It's like what I told my teen son when he wanted a tattoo. "You're not old enough to make that decision and I'm not going to make it for you." He never did get a tattoo.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

You guys, this is probably the most unreasonable peeve but who cares? So, you know when a group of people (I'd say typically girls) pose for a picture? For whatever dumb reason, that pose of the people in the front -- slight crouch with hands placed on bent knees -- annoys the bejesus out of me! I guess it's necessary but I inexplicably hate it as much as I hate "heart hands."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

You guys, this is probably the most unreasonable peeve but who cares? So, you know when a group of people (I'd say typically girls) pose for a picture? For whatever dumb reason, that pose of the people in the front -- slight crouch with hands placed on bent knees -- annoys the bejesus out of me! I guess it's necessary but I inexplicably hate it as much as I hate "heart hands."

Doesn't bother me any more than any other artificial poses, but I heartily support you right to complain about it!

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

The pose that annoys me is when women deliberately put one leg way in front of the other to look thin by making it seem like there's a gap between their legs.

Like this:

posing-tips-to-look-thinner-23-of-27-683

And this:

how-to-look-slimmer-in-photos-1.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/19/2021 at 2:58 PM, Bastet said:

I'm hardly ever treated rudely by a server, cashier, etc. or see someone else treated rudely by one, but I frequently witness them being treated that way by customers.  Of course transgressions occur on both sides of the counter, but it's far more common for customers to be inappropriate.

People have such a dismissive attitude towards the "peons" in these jobs that any perceived "slight" (a store policy they don't like, an item not being available, etc.) leaves them feeling entitled to turn downright disdainful towards them.  

Well, I had an experience today & stepped up for the cust. service desk employee at my supermarket. I'd just pocketed change after buying stamps when I heard the sour-looking lady at the next "window" say to the nice employee, "First, I have a complaint to make. *I* was here first!".  I turned to her and said, "No you weren't...I was". She said something to me about yes, she was, and something else (can't remember) and I responded, finishing by calling her "toots". No idea where that word came from but I confess, I was enjoying myself. I didn't like her bitchin' at the employee, a very gracious, kind man who usually is a cashier. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, I had an experience today & stepped up for the cust. service desk employee at my supermarket. I'd just pocketed change after buying stamps when I heard the sour-looking lady at the next "window" say to the nice employee, "First, I have a complaint to make. *I* was here first!".  I turned to her and said, "No you weren't...I was". She said something to me about yes, she was, and something else (can't remember) and I responded, finishing by calling her "toots". No idea where that word came from but I confess, I was enjoying myself. I didn't like her bitchin' at the employee, a very gracious, kind man who usually is a cashier. 

 

Service people are trapped. They have to sit there and take it or they can lose their jobs. It's disgusting. It's like kicking a fucking puppy.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

 

Is it in response to calling young children "littles"? I hate that term so much!

I loathe "littles" but not as much as I can't stand hearing or reading the word, "kiddoes". Makes me grind my teeth. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I loathe "littles" but not as much as I can't stand hearing or reading the word, "kiddoes". Makes me grind my teeth. 

How do you (all) feel about calling children "smalls"? I do this occasionally and I have never had a parent indicate (by word or facial expression) that it was offensive or anything...

I have a friend with three sons, all under age 7, who look amazingly like him (all three) and sometimes when I see him and the kids are not with him I will ask, "So where are your mini-mes today?" and he thinks its cute. I hope this isn't problematic...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I loathe "littles" but not as much as I can't stand hearing or reading the word, "kiddoes". Makes me grind my teeth. 

Back when Mom was still alive and still able to speak, she used "kiddoes," and it never bothered me. But then Mom was always adopting the latest slang --but being sure to use it in a grammatically correct manner, LOL.
So I'm okay with "kiddoes." 
I haven't heard any of the other terms for kids mentioned above, and they do sound irritating to me, mostly I think because they are about size.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Back when Mom was still alive and still able to speak, she used "kiddoes," and it never bothered me. But then Mom was always adopting the latest slang --but being sure to use it in a grammatically correct manner, LOL.
So I'm okay with "kiddoes." 
I haven't heard any of the other terms for kids mentioned above, and they do sound irritating to me, mostly I think because they are about size.

The only time the term bothered me was when my attorney of twenty years called me that over the course of a five minute conversation. I have a different attorney now.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

On 7/20/2021 at 8:53 AM, Katy M said:

Gosh yes.  I had a supervisor that talked like that.  You're my boss.  Speak like an adult!!!!!  I actually find it annoying when people talk baby talk to actual babies, but I'll be the bigger person and let that pass:)  

I’m the same. I can’t stand baby talk or when people get super cutesy. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, isalicat said:

How do you (all) feel about calling children "smalls"? I do this occasionally and I have never had a parent indicate (by word or facial expression) that it was offensive or anything...

I have honestly never heard that term.  If someone had said it to me when my kids were young, I would probably have looked puzzled and said something like "Oh, no, we're not the Smalls, we're the Smiths".

20 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The only time the term bothered me was when my attorney of twenty years called me that over the course of a five minute conversation. I have a different attorney now.

^^ Referring to "kiddo", right?  Was he puffing on a cigar in his 1940's office as he said it?  Advising you on which Studebaker to buy?

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

I'm calling myself out, I'm a pet peeve today. I'm the person who ran errands during lunch and put things in the work fridge to keep until I leave today. In my defense, I didn't plan on buying perishable groceries but I saw this frozen pizza I love and can never find anywhere at Target today. I grabbed two of them and stuck them in the giant freezer at work. I can never complain about people hogging the fridge at work again, I know. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I responded, finishing by calling her "toots".

I love that you called her that. There's really no comeback, because how can anyone know if you mean it to be snotty or affectionate?

You've inspired me. I'm going to start calling everyone "toots." And I'm going to learn how to crack my gum and wear stockings with seams. Maybe I'll throw in an occasional "ducks," just for variety. 🦆 🦆 🦆

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I'm calling myself out, I'm a pet peeve today.  

You made me realize I was someone's peeve recently. 

Time-before-last when I went to the grocery store, I got something that sounded kind of interesting mainly because it was marked down.  When I got home I realized they had charged me full price - a $4.00 difference.  I debated whether to do anything, and decided heck, I was going back anyway. I took the labels & receipt to customer service and the very nice young woman gave me the credit (after a few tries of scanning/adding/subtracting, but that's fine). 

Then when I checked out with my regular shopping I had a coupon they had given me last time for a dollar off on my next purchase.  I don't think I've used a coupon since March 2020!  But I figured now was the time to start.  After the cashier rang everything up, we realized she hadn't scanned the coupon.  She said, oh, no problem, just go to customer service and they'll take care of it.  So I toddled over to CS (one aisle over) and explained what happened, but as I was doing that, I realized it was the same poor girl from earlier who's probably thinking, is this old lady really poor or just crochety?  I tried to tell her, never mind, I'll just use it next time, but she basically said, yeah, we're doing this (politely). 

So shout out to the customer service folks everywhere.  I think I need to donate that dollar to some worthy cause!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have honestly never heard that term.  If someone had said it to me when my kids were young, I would probably have looked puzzled and said something like "Oh, no, we're not the Smalls, we're the Smiths".

^^ Referring to "kiddo", right?  Was he puffing on a cigar in his 1940's office as he said it?  Advising you on which Studebaker to buy?

"23 Skidoo, kiddo."

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

And this:

how-to-look-slimmer-in-photos-1.jpg

Wow.  This is so not your point, but that really does make a difference!

 

Edited by SoMuchTV · Reason: somehow the same thing got posted twice. I hope I didn't make it worse by trying to edit.
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I love that you called her that. There's really no comeback, because how can anyone know if you mean it to be snotty or affectionate?

You've inspired me. I'm going to start calling everyone "toots." And I'm going to learn how to crack my gum and wear stockings with seams. Maybe I'll throw in an occasional "ducks," just for variety. 🦆 🦆 🦆

Don't get too wild. I have no idea where that "toots" came from...but that nasty woman's attitude brought it out of me. However, now that I've calmed down, I have to acknowledge that things could've been tricky if she'd pulled out a gun. So...I was fortunate this time. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size