Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Leeds said:
On 8/10/2021 at 7:35 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I am in Indiana and we have been dealing with this since June, and many states east of us and along the eastern seaboard have been even earlier than that.

A couple days ago, the Indiana DNR announced that most Indiana counties can again resume feeding.  I don't share this as an endorsement for everyone to do so, but just for information.  I would connect with your state's DNR, either on social media or through their website to stay updated on your location.   The confounding thing is that they still haven't been able to identify the problem.  Lots of theories floating around, but nothing concrete. 

76_counties_can_resume_feeding_birds

Expand  

DNR?  Do not resuscitate?

Heh.
This is not your personal DNR:
Department of Natural Resources

• Love 3
18 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

A very specific to me pet peeve: People who screw around when ordering their sandwich in the cafe at work.

I'm guilty of this sometimes. Wait. There's a good reason. When I know what I want (this is pre pandemic), cafe would say, they don't have that bread that day; or don't have that particular meat or ran out of veggies...so I'm left to look and ponder, what they do have and readjust to see what I want. 

So, yeah, in those instances (which happened on a regular basis, which led me to not getting any sandwiches from the cafe) I would be that person, going "umm, ahhh, uhhh" to the cooks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Another peeve in the “why do people care?” category: what’s with the weird animosity toward and mocking of vegan/vegetarian food options? I don’t mean the silly, good-natured stuff, but like the (hilariously!) angry memes and opinions. Just eat your meat and milk and whatever and enjoy—I don’t care! But why are you all bent out shape that other things exist?! Believe me, the addition of non-animal-based food is not subtracting your food!

Haha, I realize the irony of indignantly saying “why do you care?” in a years-long conversation about peeves!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
On 8/12/2021 at 9:12 PM, ABay said:

I watched a video a few days ago because I'd forgotten how to do them and was never great at it. And this project has more French knots than the thousand burning nuns I hate them more than.

Agree they are mystifying. When I learned them years ago we didn’t have YouTube. I was trying to learn from the pictures from my embroidery kit.  It took many tries where the thread was just going behind the backing with no knot!  I would have to review on YouTube now. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, ABay said:

All the videos also done by right handed sewers which makes it that much more difficult to put in action when you're left handed.

"Right handed sewers" makes me think of the long lasting debate about water draining in opposite directions depending on the hemisphere.

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Another peeve in the “why do people care?” category: what’s with the weird animosity toward and mocking of vegan/vegetarian food options? I don’t mean the silly, good-natured stuff, but like the (hilariously!) angry memes and opinions. Just eat your meat and milk and whatever and enjoy—I don’t care! But why are you all bent out shape that other things exist?! Believe me, the addition of non-animal-based food is not subtracting your food!

Haha, I realize the irony of indignantly saying “why do you care?” in a years-long conversation about peeves!

Agreed. Yet, I am regularly told, or see comments on the internet saying that vegans are the ones being particularly smug, holier-than-thou, or condescending about others food choices, but I have never witnessed that. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Agreed. Yet, I am regularly told, or see comments on the internet saying that vegans are the ones being particularly smug, holier-than-thou, or condescending about others food choices, but I have never witnessed that. 

There are some, for sure—same as there are a few assholes in any subsection of people. Somehow those are the ones that made the impression in people’s minds, I guess? But sometimes it’s funny to casually remind the screamy meat fans that more than a few meat brands are the ones offering up the alternatives, haha! Meanwhile, you post a photo of a seriously awesome-looking cheeseburger, I’m gonna click “like” even though I don’t eat it! I remember how good they tasted, man!

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think lefties have the nicer handwriting.

Of course we do!

• Caution: reading the rest of this post might make you Peeved at holier-than-thou left-handers.

I've learned to do a lot of stuff right handed because of following directions and instructions (guitar, embroidery, cutting paper with Captain Kangaroo, etc.) 
But I use a right-handed mouse expertly with my left hand, thank you very much. 
And whether or not you have ever read "The Bible," I think it's good to know this verse so you can shut up folks who think left-handers are anything less than better than right handers: 

• "Among all these soldiers there were seven hundred select troops who were left-handed, each of whom could sling a stone at a hair and not miss" (Judges 20:16).

Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Vincent van Gogh were left-handed painters. Jimi Hendrix and many other musicians were left-handed too. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 8

ABay and the Mystery of the French Knot. By George, I think I've got it. They aren't perfect but they are recognizable as French knots. Tighten the looped floss around the needle before poking the needle back in. Eureka.

Further adventures in The Case of the Tree Skirt: However, this kit...it's very old and the metallic thread is extra fragile and the black floss just falls apart. It was fine when the stitches were 3 strands thick, but using a single strand for backstitching was a nightmare. It would just suddenly separate. Also, according to the directions, there is metallic floss (i.e. thread), gold metallic cord, and gold metallic ribbon floss. But what's in the kit are metallic floss, a very thick cord-like thing on a spool, and that's it. There was another gold metallic string on the floss cards but it's exactly the same as the cord. I had to break out a different needle and use a threader to get it in. It looks terrible and I'm going to pull it all out tomorrow.

There's always floss left over when a project is done, so I cannibalized the remains of other kits and found a bunch of stronger metallic thread, something I think might be gold ribbon floss, and a lot of sturdier black floss.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 8/12/2021 at 12:43 PM, peacheslatour said:

My DH is unreasonably chipper in the morning. It's diabolical.

I've got one of those too. Actually, everyone I know is a morning person. The world is made for morning people. It ain't fair 🤨

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've got one of those too. Actually, everyone I know is a morning person. The world is made for morning people. It ain't fair 🤨

Sorry. 🥺
If it makes you feel better, I am up after midnight with insomnia as well. 
I have mastered the 10-20 minute nap once or twice per day to go with 5 hours sleep per night (fewer if stressed).
I figure I might live a few less years than my relatives, but that's only fair because I already lived the extra years in terms of being awake.
Pre-menopause I think I slept about 8 hours a night.
But I have a memory of setting my alarm clock for 6:30am on Saturdays when I was about 5 years old. I'm sure my mom regretted that gift! LOL. My dad was a morning person, and I remember one Saturday morning he gave me a sewing lesson. In his 80s he still got up at 5:30am to do push ups. 
A huge pet peeve of mine when I was married the one time (once was enough!) for 8 years in the 1980s was that my ex slept 12-18 hours per day. Talk about a miss-match!

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oy, I have one who falls asleep on the couch but will not just go to bed! He insists that if he does, he’ll wake up at some weird hour. Trust me, he won’t.

Wait - are you married to me?  😄

I "nap" on the couch, then get up to go to bed around 2ish.  If I do go to bed at a normal time of around midnight, I still wake up sometime in the middle of the night.  I'm always able to fall asleep again relatively quickly, so it's okay.  I discovered this on vacation once when I had to actually go to bed with Mr. ebk since we were in one room and I didn't want to keep him up.  And when I woke up, I lay there for a while before I realized this was...normal.  For me, anyway. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Oh yes, this is such a pet peeve of mine! I wish I were a morning person. My quality of life would be so much better, but I'm just not. I start my days as late as I can get away with, and by the time I'm done working, it's pretty late. Once I've had dinner, a lot of places are closed. The places that are still open aren't exactly as safe as they would have been a few hours earlier. 

You morning people have no idea how good you have it! People even assume you must be more responsible and hardworking even if all you do is get up earlier! lol 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
48 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

You guys, I just discovered that the person who used my CC info to buy a laptop at Walmart added a "pickup person" name to the order! 

@TattleTeeny, you canceled the card and had a new one with a new number issued, right?
If not, call the number on the card and ask to speak to Fraud. Even a robot will be able to connect to the right people if you say "Fraud."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The bank canceled it Thursday morning — that’s how I found out it happened at all. I just made a follow-up police report to the online one I did on Thursday and also called the police dep’t, then emailed the officer I spoke to with screenshots of the “your order is ready for pickup” and “your order has been picked up” emails from Walmart, and the invoice with this person’s name on it. Then I looked for her on Facebook, etc, hahaha! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8

Re: non-morning folks, one of my all time favorite movie scenes is in The Big Chill.  It's the next morning, there are scenes of various characters getting breakfast, coffee, etc., and the scenes keep dissolving, and then stop. Jeff Goldbloom's character enters the kitchen, sits down, and asks Glenn Close, "Am I the first one up?" She turns around & gives him that *look* all of us late-risers recognize.  

Ina Garten says she likes to host dinner parties where each guest brings a movie that's cued up to his/her favorite scene.  I'd bring The Big Chill. Of course, my fellow guests would probably have no reaction to this scene (unless they're late-risers😁).

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Re: non-morning folks, one of my all time favorite movie scenes is in The Big Chill.  It's the next morning, there are scenes of various characters getting breakfast, coffee, etc., and the scenes keep dissolving, and then stop. Jeff Goldbloom's character enters the kitchen, sits down, and asks Glenn Close, "Am I the first one up?" She turns around & gives him that *look* all of us late-risers recognize.  

Ina Garten says she likes to host dinner parties where each guest brings a movie that's cued up to his/her favorite scene.  I'd bring The Big Chill. Of course, my fellow guests would probably have no reaction to this scene (unless they're late-risers😁).

I'd be right there with you. When I had my first flower shop, one of my assistants was from China. She didn't speak a lot of English but one phrase she was very fond of was "Sleep to eleven!" which we used to shout at each other as we gaily got into our cars at the end of the day on Friday afternoons. I was one of the rare flower shops not open on weekends.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

You guys, I just discovered that the person who used my CC info to buy a laptop at Walmart added a "pickup person" name to the order! 

@TattleTeeny, I’m not laughing at you, but the idiot who used a pickup name. Never change, stupid criminals, never change. (If anyone is a fan of My Name is Earl, I feel like that would happen on their episode of Cops.)

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 8/12/2021 at 6:02 PM, ABay said:

French knots. What demon hellspawn created French knots?

My mom had to do all my French knots in my embroidery- I never was able to do them.

I am tempted to blame that on my being left-handed, but it was probably  just my incompetence. I did have one grandmother when taught me to knit left-handed but my other grandmother couldn’t teach me crochet… I was the only leftie in my immediate family.

However, now that I do a lot of beading jewelry I create a lot of unwelcome knots, some which seem to be French.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I did have one grandmother when taught me to knit left-handed but my other grandmother couldn’t teach me crochet… I was the only leftie in my immediate family.

I'm the only leftie in my family too.

One of the nuns at school taught several of us to crochet.  She had me sit in front of her instead of behind like everyone else so I would be able to mirror her movements since I am left-handed.

I still am not able to knit no matter how many times/ways I try to learn.  After the last frustrating attempt I did read somewhere (and have no idea if it's actually true) that all knitting patterns are written right-handed.

Also in college I took tennis and when we were learning to serve the teacher would say "Ok everybody face the gym....well, Tift, face the dorm".

I swear one of my cats was left-pawed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

I'm the only leftie in my family too.

One of the nuns at school taught several of us to crochet.  She had me sit in front of her instead of behind like everyone else so I would be able to mirror her movements since I am left-handed.

I still am not able to knit no matter how many times/ways I try to learn.  After the last frustrating attempt I did read somewhere (and have no idea if it's actually true) that all knitting patterns are written right-handed.

Also in college I took tennis and when we were learning to serve the teacher would say "Ok everybody face the gym....well, Tift, face the dorm".

I swear one of my cats was left-pawed.

So between us we might be able to learn how to both crochet and knit 🤣

Love the tennis lesson story.

The only commendation I got being left handed was sitting me at a certain place on the dinner table.

My parents had 4 kids. My sister and one brother never (yet?j got married and my other brother and myself married lefties.

• Love 3

My sister's left-handed. None of the women in my immediate family are knitters or do crochet, so can't comment on that, but my sister seems to manage fine enough being a leftie in general. If she has had any issues with anything due to her being left-handed, she's not mentioned them to me. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

My parents had 4 kids. My sister and one brother never (yet?j got married and my other brother and myself married lefties.

Now that you mention it, the boyfriend I was most heartbroken over because of the way we--uh, you know--was also a fellow left-hander.

35 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

Aww, I love your nun just from this anecdote! 

Actually, the default for videos recorded on iPhones is to record the image reversed.
When a friend and fellow librarian began posting story-time videos early in the pandemic, I helped her figure out how to flip them so the kids could read the words on the page. The first couple of videos had them backwards. 
I bet the folks posting those French knot and knitting videos have reverse versions, but if you're techie, you could download the video and reverse it. 

I'm ambidextrous enough that instructions never bother me.

But when I was a kid (back in the Almost As Dark As Now Ages) kindergarten and first grade teachers would teach us to tell our right hand from our left with: "Which hand do you write with? That's your right hand!"☹️

Thank goodness by the time my youngest (and left-handed daughter) was in school, they started doing the "Which hand makes an L when you stick up your pointer and stick out your thumb?" to tell which is your Left hand.

Not only is that better, but it made me realize they were just gaslighting all the left-handers with that "Which hand do you write with?" business. 😠

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I create a lot of unwelcome knots, some which seem to be French.

Do they wear scarves really well and turn up their noses at your choice of cheese? In that case they're definitely French.

1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

My poor parents had three kids, and all of us are lefties. I had the misfortune of being the oldest, so I didn't learn how to do anything that I didn't figure out on my own. And then I taught my brother and sister. I'm horrible with knives, so I own every gadget ever made to slice and chop things.

1 hour ago, tiftgirl said:

Are we the same person??? I had this exact experience. First it happened in high school. Like an idiot, I took tennis again in college, figuring it was this fancy women's college and I'd get better instruction because I was paying all this money. Same shit: "Everyone else, do this and this and this. Mo, you do the opposite."

I don't know why we aren't protected under some law for oppressed groups.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Are we the same person??? I had this exact experience. First it happened in high school. Like an idiot, I took tennis again in college, figuring it was this fancy women's college and I'd get better instruction because I was paying all this money. Same shit: "Everyone else, do this and this and this. Mo, you do the opposite.

We may actually be.....I went to a woman's college too. Not a fancy one though. 🙂

• LOL 2

Handedness is a continuum, as least for those of us who are predominantly left-handed; we're all ambidextrous, some more than others. I write with my left but use scissors with my right (like there's a choice), throw right, catch left, bat left, when chopping food I hold the knife in my left hand but when cutting food on a plate and eating I hold it in my right. I heard a researcher say that he studies left-handers' brains because there are so many fascinating differences while right-handers' brains are all the same.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

When I was little, I used to like to cut things with scissors that I shouldn’t have—some wind chimes, the mesh on my sister’s playpen, doll hair, my sister’s hair, etc. To teach me a lesson, my dad didn’t take away my little-kid scissors; he replaced them with the green-handled lefties!

• LOL 2
34 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I am left handed and even I have hard time understanding my handwriting.

I'm right handed and I'm not even sure that my handwriting equals letters.  It's basically just scrawls.  Maybe I'm a genius and I'm actually writing in some unknown form of hieroglyphics.  Yeah, yeah, that's what I'm doing.

That reminds me, one time I was working as a manager at a fast food restaurant.  There were five managers.  For, some reason I never quite figured out, the closing manager had to initial all the time cards.  From all day.  Why it wouldn't be for each shift is beyond me, but whatever. The GM complained that he couldn't read my initials.  I was like, well, if you can't read them, they're mine. He was not amused.  I didn't really care.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, ABay said:

Thanks! They're also berries all over the garlands but those don't show up well in the photo.

Wow! That is just gorgeous. How long did it take you to do that? I used to love to do embroidery, I really should get back into it. As soon as my kitten gets a little older.

• Love 2

It took 3-4 weeks. I've been on vacation so I expect the other 2 Santas to take a lot longer but maybe the whole thing will be done by Thanksgiving.

Back on topic: dying plants. The blueberry bush has rust spots on its leaves, all 3 of the bee balm developed powdery mildew, the 3 dwarf salvias all look ragged, one phlox developed yellow leaves so I dug it up and replanted it with better drainage. The other one has been doing great but now is also getting yellow leaves. And a lot of things just never sprouted like the freesia and joe pyeweed. And I can't find anything to go in front of the bleeding hearts because they spread out so much they choke out everything (it's a very narrow plot). AND poison ivy is invading from my neighbor's yard, right next to my composter and the deck box with all my tools. I cut it back as well as I could and will keep on it, but something more permanent needs to be done eventually.

4 minutes ago, ABay said:

AND poison ivy is invading from my neighbor's yard, right next to my composter and the deck box with all my tools. I cut it back as well as I could and will keep on it, but something more permanent needs to be done eventually.

Yikes! I had some really bad poison oak rash when I lived in the west. 
Maybe try this: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-get-rid-of-poison-ivy/#:~:text=Create a saline solution by,before rain washes it away.

Speaking of plants. There are many pretty deer where I am living, but they do eat plants. 
I just learned from a neighbor that deer do not eat nasturtiums! 

• Useful 1

I woke up this morning with red welts: 2 near my collarbone and two on my lower back. Around mid-day they started to itch so I put Cortizone-10 ointment on them. It only helps a little. I see my derm PA on Wednesday for other stuff so maybe she can prescribe something better.  How the heck did I get these mite bites? I haven't been outdoors since Friday.