Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Sliced my finger really good, probably need stitches. No urgent cares or Minute Clinics anywhere near me are accepting walk-in patients. What the hell kind of urgent care doesn't accept walk-ins? The kind that are in this shithole state. I fucking hate Georgia and their inexcusable inept healthcare support system so much. 

Ugh I'm so sorry! That's nuts. I hope you are able to get help somewhere. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Sliced my finger really good, probably need stitches. No urgent cares or Minute Clinics anywhere near me are accepting walk-in patients. What the hell kind of urgent care doesn't accept walk-ins? The kind that are in this shithole state. I fucking hate Georgia and their inexcusable inept healthcare support system so much. 

Are you near a hospital? When I sliced the tip of my pinky finger, I drove over to the ER (it's close by & I could avoid main roads). Why aren't GA urgent cares accepting walk-ins? Because of a rise in covid cases? Good luck getting help asap!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I sliced a finger maybe 15 years ago and didn’t go to the ER because it was 10pm and I “had to be” at work at 8:30am. It took over a year to heal completely because of that. Bad decision.
Now I know that even without getting stitches, it would have healed in a couple of weeks if I had splinted it (cut was on the knuckle).   
Similar experience with a sliced toe, but no knuckle involved—I bought some of that skin glue (basically epoxy). Still not as good as stitches, but better than bandaids. 
If you can get it stitched and you’ve ever done much hand sewing, removing the stitches yourself can save a trip back to the doctor or clinic or ER. It’s really easy with the right scissors and tweezer. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

When going grocery shopping and offering to pick up a few things for a friend.  While at the grocery store that friend keeps on calling adding items to the list. 🛒

Oh. Hi👋 Friend! It’s me📱

• LOL 4
21 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I loved Games magazine and I am so impressed with you. (I am a huge geek so I may have hurt rather than helped your street cred).

Oh, gosh! All these years later and I'm finally getting my first groupie!!!

That's very sweet, @Stats Queen, but I think you actually have to win before you start giving out autographs. It was fun competing, though, and meeting all the other geeks. You should do it--I think they still have the regional tournaments, but I could be wrong about that.

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Sliced my finger really good, probably need stitches.

I sliced open the tip of my finger using a mandoline (the cutting kind, not the musical instrument) a few years ago. It bled like a stuck pig. I was on a deadline to finish what I was making, so I put on a tight nitrile glove to contain all the blood, and afterward I used one of those butterfly Band-Aids that hold the cut sides together. It worked really well, and now I can't even see a scar. Maybe something like that would sub for stitches. Or maybe that liquid bandage stuff. I guess it depends in part on where the cut is. Hope you're able to get help with this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Are you near a hospital? When I sliced the tip of my pinky finger, I drove over to the ER (it's close by & I could avoid main roads). Why aren't GA urgent cares accepting walk-ins? Because of a rise in covid cases? Good luck getting help asap!!

I doubt all of them aren't accepting walk-ins. I probably just had bad luck but WTF, not accepting walk-ins for possible stitches? 

33 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I used one of those butterfly Band-Aids that hold the cut sides together. It worked really well, and now I can't even see a scar. Maybe something like that would sub for stitches. Or maybe that liquid bandage stuff. I guess it depends in part on where the cut is. Hope you're able to get help with this.

I thought I had some butterfly bandaids but couldn't find them. It finally stopped bleeding and doesn't look as bad as I thought. Hopefully I was just over-reacting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Pet peeve today: bugs. Not as dramatic as slicing a finger but I went out to water the plants and came in with 7 bites on one leg and 4 on the other. Apparently, I'm delicious.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, ABay said:

Pet peeve today: bugs. Not as dramatic as slicing a finger but I went out to water the plants and came in with 7 bites on one leg and 4 on the other. Apparently, I'm delicious.

Bug bites are the worst. I won't take the trash out after sunset unless I drive to the dumpster because I get chewed up. Have you tried the Bug Bite Thing? I find it helps if I catch the bites in time (do not use it on your face!)

https://smile.amazon.com/stores/+Bug+Bite+Thing/page/4F1E53DC-3DBB-4558-838E-574B26EAFC62?ref_=ast_bln

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

I find the steroid creams are very helpful.  

• Useful 2
8 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I find the steroid creams are very helpful.  

Yes. And ice too if the cream isn’t enough. 
And some B vitamin is supposed to make you less yummy to bugs, I think, but ask your doctor. 

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And some B vitamin is supposed to make you less yummy to bugs, I think, but ask your doctor. 

The GA bugs did not get that memo. Or maybe they did and I'd be a walking bug bite if I didn't take it.

2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

The GA bugs did not get that memo. Or maybe they did and I'd be a walking bug bite if I didn't take it.

There was also some cheap store-brand sunscreen I tried once that was like a biting bug magnet. 

There's also this: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/garden/pest-control/insects/70728-therapik?item=EM502

Whenever I link to Amazon, it links to my account, so I don't do that anymore. But they have it at Amazon for about a buck more. We've had one of these for years, and it works great. The quicker you treat the bite, the more effective it is. It works by burning off the venom, so you have to tolerate increasing heat on the spot for about fifteen seconds, but most of the time that's all it takes. And it's French, so ooh-la-la.

• Useful 1
16 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

There's also this: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/garden/pest-control/insects/70728-therapik?item=EM502

Whenever I link to Amazon, it links to my account, so I don't do that anymore. But they have it at Amazon for about a buck more. We've had one of these for years, and it works great. The quicker you treat the bite, the more effective it is. It works by burning off the venom, so you have to tolerate increasing heat on the spot for about fifteen seconds, but most of the time that's all it takes. And it's French, so ooh-la-la.

Huh. So does ice help because of the temperature effect too, just not as well?

57 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Last night my Mom decided to warn me about cow killer wasps.  I thought, hey I should warn @theredhead77.  Then I thought I should break the chain of the inevitable looking up what that is..  Seeing the giant insect flash on the screen.  Reading the articles about how much it hurts to be stung.  And listening to the video of it screaming.  

Which is never a scream I've heard in the yard.  So, yea.  But you brought up GA bugs on your own so you brought this on yourself.

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, ABay said:

I have been a mosquito magnet for my entire, considerable existence.  Fair-skinned, blue-eyed, redhead.  Someone once said there was something to all of that, re bugs.  Here I just thought it made me a natural-born bitch.  I've also read that mosquitos are drawn to carbon dioxide (that's the stuff we exhale, right?), so guess I'll get tanned up, color my hair, buy some brown contact lenses, and hold my breath.

But I'll still be a bitch.

• LOL 12
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have been a mosquito magnet for my entire, considerable existence.  Fair-skinned, blue-eyed, redhead.  Someone once said there was something to all of that, re bugs.  Here I just thought it made me a natural-born bitch.  I've also read that mosquitos are drawn to carbon dioxide (that's the stuff we exhale, right?), so guess I'll get tanned up, color my hair, buy some brown contact lenses, and hold my breath.

I'm dark-haired, dark-eyed, and am always a buffet for mosquitoes. They've been so bad in our area, this year, that everyone is complaining in facebook groups - the county was supposed to have sprayed in our area, but we're a tiny town, so someone wanted to know if they skipped us this time. We took our dogs to the park last week, and my one that I walk with, who is now having trouble with his lower back/right leg, was slowly walking with me. I had to rub crowds of them off his face, several times. :(

Edited by Anela
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I used to get the Weekender. I was surprised that the NYT didn't have the Sunday funnies.

Even if I had no other reason for disliking the NYT - their no comic strip policy was a great big solid reason.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

That’s weird.  I sliced my shin in the car door about an inch in length and First Care took me in and got nine stitches.  Wound up in hospital anyway for three days with cellulitis.  N.Y.

12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

that makes two of then. I have the same coloring as you and I am a mosquito magnet.

I hate gnats and flies. I hate all these annoying bastard bugs 🤬

• Love 4
21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

How's your finger now?  I've been worried!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Anela said:

I'm dark-haired, dark-eyed, and am always a buffet for mosquitoes. They've been so bad in our area, this year, that everyone is complaining in facebook groups - the county was supposed to have sprayed in our area, but we're a tiny town, so someone wanted to know if they skipped us this time. We took our dogs to the park last week, and my one that I walk with, who is now having trouble with his lower back/right leg, was slowly walking with me. I had to rub crowds of them off his face, several times. :(

So maybe there is nothing to that then.  Must be my epic carbon dioxide lol.  They're particularly bad here, as we had an extremely wet June/July.  I've got impressive fungi growing in my lawn too.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

So maybe there is nothing to that then.  Must be my epic carbon dioxide lol.  They're particularly bad here, as we had a extremely wet June/July.  I've got impressive fungi growing in my lawn too.

I'll trade you for our deadly dry, hear seared landscape.

My 5 yr old granddaughter went to the dentist yesterday, she had two small cavities and the dentist told her that this was because of "sugar bugs".  I have no idea if this is something dentists tell little kids thinking it's a cute way to teach them what they should and should not be eating - I do know it has totally freaked my granddaughter out.  She hasn't spoken OR eaten since 9 am yesterday.  So my peeve of the day - people who work with children who don't seem to know how to actually talk to children.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My 5 yr old granddaughter went to the dentist yesterday, she had two small cavities and the dentist told her that this was because of "sugar bugs".  I have no idea if this is something dentists tell little kids thinking it's a cute way to teach them what they should and should not be eating - I do know it has totally freaked my granddaughter out.  She hasn't spoken OR eaten since 9 am yesterday.  So my peeve of the day - people who work with children who don't seem to know how to actually talk to children.

Oh my goodness yes!  Kids can't help but take everything literally!  I still remember, when I was about 4, visiting my uncle who lived next door.  He had a hole in the toe of his sock, and he told me it was because he was eating an apple, swallowed the seed, and that was where it grew out.  I was horrified!  Wouldn't go over to his house for I don't know how long.  (I don't think my parents ever figured out what was wrong.)  I'm over it now, but it was burned into my brain.  I try to remember that when I'm talking to kids now.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Oy. 
Maybe tell her it's like when her iPad app has a bug and needs an update?
And maybe in her case it's an update to brushing and flossing after eating sugar?

• Love 2

Ugh, MORE than a peeve, man — guess who’s the lucky winner of attempted (I hope) identity theft! Whoooo! Apparently, someone has filed for unemployment in my name, as I learned from the letters that showed up this week. NOT letters saying “oh dear, look what happened!” but the actual forms that one who applied for unemployment might get in the mail (I wouldn’t know; I’ve never applied). And it seems like all gov’t voicemail boxes for this sort of thing are full, complete with a message about how they’re not taking calls (apparently, this is rampant!). But here’s the lesser of the peeves that I’m fixating on…

If I am getting all of the correspondence, how would someone get the dough?! And how are these things not verified somehow? I still work at present for the employer that is on the form! 

Also, I realize that I would be a terrible scammer not only because I just don’t understand HOW, but because it all seems super-tedious to perpetrate! Oh my god, this is the most boring crime (not as boring as trying to get ahead of it, mind you—as I learned today).

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, MORE than a peeve, man — guess who’s the lucky winner of attempted (I hope) identity theft! Whoooo! Apparently, someone has filed for unemployment in my name, as I learned from the letters that showed up this week. NOT letters saying “oh dear, look what happened!” but the actual forms that one who applied for unemployment might get in the mail (I wouldn’t know; I’ve never applied). And it seems like all gov’t voicemail boxes for this sort of thing are full, complete with a message about how they’re not taking calls (apparently, this is rampant!). But here’s the lesser of the peeves that I’m fixating on…

If I am getting all of the correspondence, how would someone get the dough?! And how are these things not verified somehow? I still work at present for the employer that is on the form! 

Also, I realize that I would be a terrible scammer not only because I just don’t understand HOW, but because it all seems super-tedious to perpetrate! Oh my god, this is the most boring crime (not as boring as trying to get ahead of it, mind you—as I learned today).

It’s been a while but the time I applied I was being laid off from my job - the company helped us with the initial filing then after my termination date I had to appear in person at unemployment.  I had a one on one appointment with someone there.  I don’t remember if I had to show any form of ID like a drivers license.  In your case I don’t know how someone could file in your name and get the money while you’re getting the paperwork.  Since it’s been so long the process may have changed.

It might also be a good idea to check your credit reports and if you haven’t done so already freeze your credit if you aren’t planning to apply for any loans in the near future.  

I’m with you - scamming is too much work.  For all the work one needs to do to scam someone you might as well find a real job and not risk getting in trouble.  

• Love 6

I didn’t freeze my credit, but I did a whole bunch of other stuff recommended. I have some kind of ID theft coverage through my work insurance…which sounds nice, but until and unless something actually happens, I think it’s basically just an information hub kind of thing and a free monitoring service that I activated. Checked my accounts and did something or other via Experian (or whichever one I used) and filed complaints online in various places. Then I called the monitoring place to double-check to see what else I needed to do. Still stressed, but per the rep I talked to, I think I got it all covered? But now what does one do? Wait?! Do I ever get to know if I’m all good? I have no clue! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

letters that showed up... forms that one who applied for unemployment might get in the mail (I wouldn’t know; I’ve never applied). And it seems like all gov’t voicemail boxes for this sort of thing are full, complete with a message about how they’re not taking calls (apparently, this is rampant!). ...I still work at present for the employer that is on the form! 

37 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But now what does one do? Wait?! Do I ever get to know if I’m all good? I have no clue! 

I would take the forms to HR at my work and see what they think.

• Love 5

That’s what I thought too! But they referred me to all the info I found myself while waiting for them to reply to my message (we’ve been remote since March of 2920).

Also, I accidentally typed “2920” when I meant “2020.” But I’ll leave it as-is because it may as well be that long at this point!

I think I’ve done what I can for the time being. I wish that made me feel better, but I don’t think I’m the person who can easily say, “well, what else can I do?” Bah to me!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, GaT said:

Itch is a noun, not a verb, you have an itch, you do not itch something, you scratch it.

Yes, but I always try to excuse the use of “itch” for “scratch” because often scratching an itch such as a mosquito bite or poison ivy rash will make it itch more, so the unfortunate, grammar-handicapped itcher is unwittingly making it itch more, which could perhaps be accurately described as “itching” the rash.

• LOL 2

On 8/1/2021 at 5:33 PM, GussieK said:

This puzzle discussion has veered away from pet peeves, so I will bring it back.  I have two petty puzzle peeves:  I can’t stand when I see people filling in the crossword with lower-case letters. Why would they do this? It’s in defiance of all puzzle convention. My other one is when I see people cross off or check off the clues as they fill them in. Why?  First of all, what if you made a mistake?  And also you just don’t need that visual aid to know where you are in the puzzle. 

I use uppercase, but do check off the clues. I think because the way I work is to go through the clues one by one, and then go back through (rinse and repeat), so I just skip over the ones I've checked off.  (Does that make any sense?  If not, just ignore me!)

On 8/2/2021 at 6:25 PM, shapeshifter said:

Ice+cream is what I have to distract myself from the bites.😉

I actually use Tiger Balm on the bites.

Also, when I spent a few months in a heavily infested area of India, I used to eat a clove of raw garlic every morning with breakfast.  The stinky breath stops after a couple of weeks, but apparently your blood tastes nasty.

Edited by Leeds
Clarify "raw" garlic
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

I use uppercase, but do check off the clues. I think because the way I work is to go through the clues one by one, and then go back through (rinse and repeat), so I just skip over the ones I've checked off.  (Does that make any sense?  If not, just ignore me!)

Ice+cream is what I have to distract myself from the bites.😉

I actually use Tiger Balm on the bites.

Also, when I spent a few months in a heavily infested area of India, I used to eat a clove of raw garlic every morning with breakfast.  The stinky breath stops after a couple of weeks, but apparently your blood tastes nasty.

You are in the UK!  Do you do the cryptic puzzles?  Please let us know. 

5 minutes ago, GussieK said:

You are in the UK!  Do you do the cryptic puzzles?  Please let us know. 

I try to keep my brain healthy (it's getting harder and harder!) by doing the daily Guardian quick crossword, which is mainly vocabulary and bits of trivia, with maybe a couple of anagrams and easy cryptic clues thrown in. 

The only cryptic crossword I try is The Telegraph's because I find it the least fiendish!  I have a book of their crosswords, and they give the "Authors" and the solutions.  Some of the authors I learn not to bother with because even with the solution I often have no clue (ha!) how they got there.  I learned how to at least try to decipher clues by learning alongside someone who'd been doing them for years.

A former (American) boss used to do the NYT crossword daily, very quickly, in pen.  I thought he might enjoy a cryptic one, so gave him an easy one.  He handed it back to me the next day totally blank.  This man has one of the best minds I know.  I explained a couple and he just looked at me as if I were insane.

So yeah, maybe it is genetic!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Is it just my imagination or have television commercial break lengths recently gotten much longer.  My gosh are they annoying, 

Definitely not your imagination.  I call it the reward those of us sticking with cable are getting for sticking with cable.  It's like they actually want us to cancel.

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Is it just my imagination or have television commercial break lengths recently gotten much longer.  My gosh are they annoying, 

I feel like I keep seeing commercials twice in a row.

• Love 8
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

That happened to my husband about 2 months ago. 

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I feel like I keep seeing commercials twice in a row.

I've noticed that as well.  A bunch of different commercials, while irritating aren't nearly as aggravating as the exact same commercials being shown over again in the same break.

Along with this I've noticed constant promos - often a promo for the show I am currently watching.  I mean do they really need to promote the program you are already  watching during the commercial breaks of the program you are already watching?  Seriously?

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

That happened to my husband about 2 months ago. 

Mine as well. It happened to a lot of employees at the University where he works. His HR provided him with several resources and a checklist of what to do. He had to report it to our local police, which would not have occurred to me.

• Useful 2