Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It was one person!
I’m going to have words with him next visit. He comes once or twice a month to fish. He’s usually a very good guest and we have been friends 20 years. He’s around my daughter’s age and I consider him more like a son, but not close enough that I’m comfortable sharing germs with him. He dates and I don’t want whatever germs he might have from other people. I will be handing him a list of all the replacements he needs to buy. 

I can’t believe someone would do that, but if he’s prone to getting the munchies for ice cream, I would consider stocking up on the Ben & Jerry’s mini cups of various flavors, or the equivalent in another brand. I rarely buy the big containers of ice cream any longer and usually just get a bag of vanilla individual cups. But when I want a little variety, I grab some of the mini cups. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

I can’t believe someone would do that, but if he’s prone to getting the munchies for ice cream, I would consider stocking up on the Ben & Jerry’s mini cups of various flavors, or the equivalent in another brand. I rarely buy the big containers of ice cream any longer and usually just get a bag of vanilla individual cups. But when I want a little variety, I grab some of the mini cups. 

I've become the world's worst host with regards to having something to offer. Send him over here where there are 3 tablespoons full of vanilla ice cream left.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Email marketer here!  If their unsubscribe links are dead, that's totally illegal (definitely in the US, Canada, and Europe, and probably everywhere).

If their links aren't working or your corporate filter is blocking them AND YOU KNOW IT'S A LEGITIMATE COMPANY, try replying with "unsubscribe" in the subject line.  The vast majority of email service providers will automatically process that as an unsubscribe.  If it's not a legitimate company, I'd just mark them as spam or block them and move on.  You'll stop getting them, and you'll also negatively impact their sender reputation, which will benefit us all.  :)

But please don't mark as spam unless it actually IS spam, because the negative repercussions of that can be really, REALLY hard for a legitimate, lawful sender to overcome.

Also, a quick tip... since all marketing emails MUST have an unsubscribe link, that's a quick way to filter and delete old marketing messages in a hurry.  Just search for "unsubscribe", check everything that comes up, and delete.

I reported one as spam, the other night, because the unsubscribe link didn't work, and I could have sworn I'd unsubbed before. I don't know how I was subbed to several people whose politics I have never agreed with - maybe someone added me, because I annoyed them - but I couldn't find another way to get off there. 

Otherwise, in gmail, I just block, and it also sends it to spam. 

2 hours ago, Anela said:

I don't know how I was subbed to several people whose politics I have never agreed with - maybe someone added me, because I annoyed them - but I couldn't find another way to get off there.

Unfortunately, our lovely politicians exempted themselves from US CAN-SPAM law. Unlike the rest of us in the email marketing world, they don't have to get your permission OR give you the option to unsubscribe. And they sell/trade lists with each other all the time. So if you've ever expressed interest in a candidate, you're likely on lists for other candidates of the same party, and even affiliated PACs. Your only option is to block it locally.

Is it any wonder people hate them? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

First I'd trying replying to the email and telling them what's up. Many companies will have someone monitoring those replies, or they'll be routed to customer service. If you don't hear back in a couple of days, go to their website and use the "contact us" form. Next option would be to direct message them on social media. If none of that works, it's time to go nuclear... start rage tweeting at them. 😉

Thank you. Tbh, I do think it should be on these companies to not harass us. I receive multiple emails a day from DSW alone. Who the heck needs that many coupons from them? Reducing number of emails never worked. I forgot if I completely unsubscribed or not. I do shop there, so I'd like coupons when I do. When the emails are marked as junk, I can at least just check my junk folder. 

• Love 1
On 5/17/2021 at 12:35 PM, peacheslatour said:

We've lived in our house for over forty years. Nice and peaceful until about fifteen years ago when they built some new homes across the street. The one house directly facing us has a balcony off their kitchen. They had three large dogs. The barking wasn't too bad when they were home but whenever they left, they'd lock the dogs out on the balcony where they would bark and howl for hours. The dogs finally got old and died and they didn't replace them. He then purchased a Harley, which he did not ride. He just sat on it in the driveway for half hour to an hour and revved the engine.  Thankfully, they moved away last month

I don’t know how you were so patient.  Everything changes.  New people moved in next door to our condo.  Now, they bought a big dog.  I don’t know how it will go.  I can’t move anymore.  I hate noise of any kind.  I’m screwed.

13 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

I don’t know how you were so patient.  Everything changes.  New people moved in next door to our condo.  Now, they bought a big dog.  I don’t know how it will go.  I can’t move anymore.  I hate noise of any kind.  I’m screwed.

Near the end of his life when Dad was totally deaf without hearing aids, he expressed how much he liked taking them out to enjoy the quiet. 
I've reached the point where I don't think I belong anywhere.

1 hour ago, Hangin Out said:

We weren't that patient but there wasn't anything we could do about it. One time though, when they were home, with their balcony doors open, I put my drummer husband's giant stage speakers in the window facing their house and blasted Communication Breakdown on a loop for about an hour. Full volume, of course.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
On 7/3/2021 at 4:37 PM, supposebly said:

Car idling. It's gotten worse since smart phones. Now people sit in their cars even longer staring at their phones while the car is on. Turn it off!

I'm not sure where you live but here in the South (I'm in Texas), we need the a/c for sure, and sometimes i will sit in my car to try to cool off (they keep grocery or any other stores here super hot).

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

but here in the South (I'm in Texas), we need the a/c for sure, and sometimes i will sit in my car to try to cool off

All I'm gonna say about this is that the AC works when the car moves, too. And it won't blast the heat of the car in my face when I walk past, adding more degrees to the heat when I'm outside.

• Love 3
On 2/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, ParadoxLost said:

My oatmeal annoyed me this morning.

Oatmeal is mushy.  You should be able to swallow it pretty quick.  But no, it needs chewing.  It needs a lot of chewing.  Too much chewing.  It needs enough chewing that you have time to think about how bland it is and then you can move onto pondering why you have to chew something that by all rights shouldn't need that much chewing. That leads to bland + gross thoughts.  Then you circle back too this is too much chewing effort.

I went to the grocery store tonight to buy granola as an oatmeal topping so tomorrow my teeth can have a feeling of purpose and accomplishment:)P

This is my issue with salad. So much chewing! It’s not that I object to the taste (unless it’s kale, I hate kale), it’s the level of effort is out of proportion to the reward. There’s no ROI (return on investment)! 

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We weren't that patient but there wasn't anything we could do about it. One time though, when they were home, with their balcony doors open, I put my drummer husband's giant stage speakers in the window facing their house and blasted Communication Breakdown on a loop for about an hour. Full volume, of course.

And the results…?

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

When you're so close to getting free shipping but have to find for something else to buy.

I hate paying for shipping! lol

I do the same. Always can use a pair of socks. Lol

• Love 3
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

All I'm gonna say about this is that the AC works when the car moves, too. And it won't blast the heat of the car in my face when I walk past, adding more degrees to the heat when I'm outside.

Well yes obviously the a/c works if the car is moving, there’s no argument there. If it’s  over 100 degree weather outside I’d much rather give my car (and myself and steering wheel) a few minutes to cool off because I too get blasted with hot air when I open my hot car. Anyway, I wasn’t trying to argue, only offering my reason for idling in my car. 

• Love 1

My pet peeve today is life coaches. I find most of them to be really scummy in taking the money of rather desperate people. I saw a "life coach" on IG today promising "bliss and abundance" if they bought her $2222 zoom workshop. She's also asking for "donations" from people and in return she'll read a tarot card for them.

Anyway I saw under the comments one woman was like "How can I send you money? I'm on disability and desperate." This life coach responded by giving her the donation "suggestion." 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve today is life coaches. I find most of them to be really scummy in taking the money of rather desperate people. I saw a "life coach" on IG today promising "bliss and abundance" if they bought her $2222 zoom workshop. She's also asking for "donations" from people and in return she'll read a tarot card for them.

Anyway I saw under the comments one woman was like "How can I send you money? I'm on disability and desperate." This life coach responded by giving her the donation "suggestion." 

Dear god, I wish law enforcement would crack down on these charlatans. Taking the life savings of desperate, uneducated, vulnerable people with scams like this.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

This is my issue with salad. So much chewing! It’s not that I object to the taste (unless it’s kale, I hate kale), it’s the level of effort is out of proportion to the reward. There’s no ROI (return on investment)! 

Every once in a while someone unearths an old post and I think....I'm weird.  "I want my teeth to have a feeling of purpose and accomplishment" 🙄

But actually, I agree on the salad thing.   Its why the wedge salad is the best salad.  It has no nutritional content and is probably the least healthy of all salads (iceberg lettuce, bacon, candied nuts and blue cheese dressing).  But it comes in a hunk and you can cut it with a fork and knife like its meat and there is a nice chewing to density ratio.

Also, bravo to using ROI in relation to salad.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve today is life coaches.

I have heard of life coaches, or thought I had.  I had no idea they were con artists!   The thing I notice some of my family falling for are psychics.  A few of them are always posting crap their psychic has told them.  I'm absolutely positive this info they are getting isn't coming cheap.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I have heard of life coaches, or thought I had.  I had no idea they were con artists! 

I’ve often wished I had a real life coach. 
So there aren’t any real ones?  
I mean: Someone who has studied a mix of Economics, Public Relations, Psychology, Sociology, etc. in college, and who has maybe attended workshops and earned certificates in Life Coaching, or at least Career Advancement? 
I think the word Happiness  should be in there somewhere too.  

If this does not exist, it should! 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

(iceberg lettuce, bacon, candied nuts and blue cheese dressing)

Wait a minute! There's candied nuts in a wedge salad?!? Oh, jeez, all the years I've been wasting! (And I'm one of those rare people who's never been ashamed to admit loving iceberg lettuce--it was a genuine sacrifice when I boycotted it for the United Farm Workers. Everyone else I knew pretended to be giving up something, but I wasn't fooled.) The world is suddenly Technicolor again! 🌈

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

But before you get to the annoying chewing, you have to navigate the annoying cutting, tearing, prepping.  Yeahthanksno.

kale meme (2).jpg

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’ve often wished I had a real life coach. 
So there aren’t any real ones?  
I mean: Someone who has studied a mix of Economics, Public Relations, Psychology, Sociology, etc. in college, and who has maybe attended workshops and earned certificates in Life Coaching, or at least Career Advancement? 
I think the word Happiness  should be in there somewhere too.  

If this does not exist, it should! 

I think life coach is part of or associated with self help and there’s been plenty of books written about that topic.  Tony Robbins was a big name in this area a while back with his books and seminars.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'll take anyone's unwanted kale.  I love most greens (so long as they're lightly cooked; I hate them once they've been braised to death), and that's one of my favorites.  I just had a kale salad for lunch today.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'll take anyone's unwanted kale.  I love most greens (so long as they're lightly cooked; I hate them once they've been braised to death), and that's one of my favorites.  I just had a kale salad for lunch today.

I am totally frustrated with the sporadic availability of green leaf lettuce in my new geographic home, so please share how you prepare this palatable kale salad 🥗!

34 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I think life coach is part of or associated with self help and there’s been plenty of books written about that topic.  Tony Robbins was a big name in this area a while back with his books and seminars.

Ugh. No: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Robbins

I guess my no-frills budget has allowed me to dodge the life coaches bullets.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I am totally frustrated with the sporadic availability of green leaf lettuce in my new geographic home, so please share how you prepare this palatable kale salad 🥗!

Oh, a bunch of different ways; I have a side salad or slaw with every dinner and have a big salad (TM Elaine Benes) for lunch with some regularity.  The one I made today was just kale with shrimp, roasted pistachios, shaved Parmigiano-reggiano, and a lemon vinaigrette.

So use it any which way you like, just be aware that when eating kale raw you may want to massage it first depending on how you're cutting it and how far ahead of time you're dressing it; I just skimmed it, but this seems to be a good article explaining when you should do so (and how).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

You may have my share.

• LOL 2

Oh, regarding email — I get endless promos from one of the glasses ones! I get that they want me to buy stuff (and I have), but how often do they think people are buying new glasses?! You’d think they’d set it up so that they come about a year after I purchased my last pair.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I will trade my raw kale for your braised greens. Mmm…bacon braised collard greens…..

• Love 3

Ever since I got my gums fixed with some delightful time at the periodontist, I'm constantly annoyed by the little bits and pieces left behind in my teeth when I eat salad. 

I eat some sort of lettuce/greens in a salad every day, but at this point I only eat it at home when I can immediately brush after I'm done with the meal. That damn dentist has me on high alert for anything that could irritate my gums. I don't admit to her that I eat raspberries and strawberries, as they have evil seeds. 

As for kale, I like to show off buying big bunches of kale at the supermarket like I'm super healthy and going to eat it. Instead, it gets fed to the Bearded Dragon and the Guinea Pig.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

I can't eat kale, it's just way too grassy tasting to me. I also can't do arugula, it's too peppery. But I love spinach, romaine lettuce, and butter lettuce. I've been trying to do salads every day I'm in the office since I fell off eating my veggies during quarantine, but it's hard. I'm just not someone that naturally gravitates towards greens and fruit, for some reason. I could live on bread and cheese till my dying day, but we all know that's not healthy. 

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I don't admit to her that I eat raspberries and strawberries, as they have evil seeds. 

That's nothing. I eat unpopped and half popped popcorn kernels and I told my dentist. He wasn't thrilled. 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Having an appointment, and sitting in the waiting room.  Several seats down a person is wearing a mask and coughing so hard, I was waiting for her to hack up a fur ball.🐱

How about sitting in a waiting room and someone is on their phone watching a video with the the volume up so loud the entire place can hear it. Annoying.

My peeve is people who use certain "cliche" phrases to get sympathy.

I'm a singe mother, I'm on a fixed income, I'm disabled, etc. 

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, regarding email — I get endless promos from one of the glasses ones! I get that they want me to buy stuff (and I have), but how often do they think people are buying new glasses?! You’d think they’d set it up so that they come about a year after I purchased my last pair.

I received another email from the people I mentioned in my post about reporting email as spam. I'm sure that I blocked them, and reported as spam, which should have had them going to my spam folder. When I searched to make sure that it was the same one, I found the first email from last August, where someone with a name that bears no recognition to my own, apparently signed a petition that I never would have signed. 

I used the "report spam and unsubscribe" option in the gmail app, and also told them to fuck off, because I'm classy that way, and sick of it. I used the unsubscribe function before 6:30am, and just found another email from them in my spam folder, this time, at around 10:30am. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Peeve:

When I make a spelling mistake or other type of grammatical error, and I don't catch it right away.   I won't catch the mistake until I go back much later (hours perhaps days) and see my error, and then correct it.  It is so horribly frustrating.

I'm right there with you. Even worse, sometimes I don't catch it for months & it may be too long ago to correct it. All I do is think about all the people who read my comment, noticed my mistake, & thought "they stoopid" I'm always mortified.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I like to show off buying big bunches of kale at the supermarket like I'm super healthy and going to eat it.

The cashier once rang in my leaf lettuce as kale.  I made her change it; I didn't even care which cost more, I just couldn't have that shit on my receipt. 

I'm a single mother

Judge Judy "I don't care if you're a double mother."

I'm on a fixed income

Me too, my paycheque is the same every 2 weeks. 

Edited by Quof
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

Regarding spam and unwanted emails - it's best to delete them without opening them. In Gmail you can also mark as spam without opening it. When you open an email the software used to send the campaign can recognize that you opened the email and therefore it's valid. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Quof said:

The cashier once rang in my leaf lettuce as kale.  I made her change it; I didn't even care which cost more, I just couldn't have that shit on my receipt. 

Judge Judy "I don't care if you're a double mother."

26 minutes ago, Quof said:

I'm on a fixed income

Me too, my paycheque is the same every 2 weeks. 

Ohhhhhhhhhh I hate when people say this as if other people aren't on a fixed income too!! I used to work in insurance and they would say that as if it made a difference in the price I was quoting them. It took everything in me not to respond to them sarcastically.

Edited by MissFeatherbottom
11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

For those of you that hate overly chewy salads try butter lettuce. 

Boston (Boston bib?) also is a good one for tenderness.

6 hours ago, emma675 said:

I can't eat kale, it's just way too grassy tasting to me. I also can't do arugula, it's too peppery. But I love spinach, romaine lettuce, and butter lettuce. I've been trying to do salads every day I'm in the office since I fell off eating my veggies during quarantine, but it's hard. I'm just not someone that naturally gravitates towards greens and fruit, for some reason. I could live on bread and cheese till my dying day, but we all know that's not healthy. 

I enjoy a good salad, not every day, as it doesn't enjoy me nearly as much.  They irritate my gizzards.  🥴

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Boston (Boston bib?) also is a good one for tenderness.

I enjoy a good salad, not every day, as it doesn't enjoy me nearly as much.  They irritate my gizzards.  🥴

I thought Boston Bib, and Butter lettuce were the same (or are close "cousins"!) They look alike and have soft leaves.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Having a splinter you can't see to remove. Walking hurts. :(

On the outside chance that this is happening as I type and that you will see it when it posts:
Put an ice cube on it. Nine times out of ten, the skin will shrink and the splinter will fall out.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

On the outside chance that this is happening as I type and that you will see it when it posts:
Put an ice cube on it. Nine times out of ten, the skin will shrink and the splinter will fall out.

Thanks so much! I will try that. 😘

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

There is no question there needs to be a pop quiz on vegetables for grocery store cashiers.  Damn, the number of times they have gotten wrong. 

With how many different items there are in the produce department, I am very impressed by how infrequently the cashiers have to consult their book/ask a co-worker what the code for something is; those are a lot of numbers to memorize!

• Love 3