Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

12 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was talking to someone, and was told that every so often when I talk, I have a "tone".  In other words, "copping an attitude".   I have never really noticed it, and would love to stop doing that, but have no clue how to make that change.  I can't hear myself when I talk.

I have also noticed something similar every so often when I post.  I type something thinking it is going to land one way, and it totally lands in a way that wasn't intended.

I know I am socially awkward, but still it is a quirk that I have that really annoys me.

I have a variation on that tendency myself. I'm pretty old and still dealing with it, but, hey, at least we are acknowledging it rather than making excuses. That's better than nothing. 💟

• Like 2

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

They had expressions like "Red up your room"

What does that mean?

20 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was talking to someone, and was told that every so often when I talk, I have a "tone".  In other words, "copping an attitude".   I have never really noticed it, and would love to stop doing that, but have no clue how to make that change.  I can't hear myself when I talk.

I have also noticed something similar every so often when I post.  I type something thinking it is going to land one way, and it totally lands in a way that wasn't intended.

If it's just one person thinking that, I wouldn't worry about it.

And writing in a way that gets everything across is difficult for many people. That happens to many. I blame a lot of conflict and stupid arguments on the internet for that.

Writing isn't speaking. A lot is lost.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

42 minutes ago, supposebly said:

What does that mean?

Clean up your room. It’s actually shortened from, readying, or redding up your room.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 3
  • Useful 7

2 hours ago, supposebly said:

…And writing in a way that gets everything across is difficult for many people. That happens to many. I blame a lot of conflict and stupid arguments on the internet for that.

Writing isn't speaking. A lot is lost

Yes. Exactly. 
Two things I’ve tried changing when communicating electronically (posting on boards, texting, email, tweeting, etc.) are:

1. Whenever possible, replace pronouns with more specific nouns, like use “Jane” instead of “she” or “her” to help readers know to whom you are referring.   

2. Avoid using sarcasm. It is very difficult to express sarcasm without facial expressions and tone of voice. Readers will by default assume what they are reading is straightforward rather than a joke.

But still sometimes I am clearly writing A, but some will assume I was going to say B and reply as if I did say B.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

14 hours ago, GussieK said:

My high school graduation was in Forest Park!  Jamaica High School. Class of 72. 

Richmond Hill HS and Valencia Theatre for graduation.  Forest Park for snow sledding and ice skating and concerts.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:22 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Now, to me the first pronunciation of "can" sounds right so that's thanks to my Mid-Hudson twang background. If I try to pronounce "can" the second way, it sounds affected to me.

I just now realized that I say "can" (as in "can of beer") differently than I say "can" (as in "can I have a beer?").

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just now realized that I say "can" (as in "can of beer") differently than I say "can" (as in "can I have a beer?").

Yup.  It's weird but I pronounced the same word slightly differently too.

• Like 4

I'm somewhat used to younger folks not being clued into noteworthy people and events  from even the lattter part of  20th century but the other day I was in a produce department and mentioned something about Y2K to a 20-something produce attendant- and I wound up having to explain what Y2K had been!  This person would have been roughly in grade school at the time it happened so I'm wondering how they could have not only missed the hype but also how their own parents, teachers and peers never seemed to have brought it up to them in the last 20 years!  Are people going to have to Google how manual typewriters and rotary telephones worked in the near future? It seems a bit much! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

mentioned something about Y2K to a 20-something produce attendant- and I wound up having to explain what Y2K had been!  This person would have been roughly in grade school at the time it happened so I'm wondering how they could have not only missed the hype but also how their own parents, teachers and peers never seemed to have brought it up to them in the last 20 years! 

I vaguely recall mentioning Y2K to someone in that age group recently (maybe a shoe store employee?) and getting the same blank stare.
So it's not just a one-off.

Much of the Chicken Little (The sky is falling! The sky is falling!) hype leading up to Y2K didn't come to pass, so there was nothing to keep talking about --largely because there was adequate cooperation across technological entities leading up to the event (wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2000_problem#On_1_January_2000). 
I know, young Grasshoppers, cooperation seems like a fantasy now.
Perhaps too with 2000 being an election year, Y2K was eclipsed by those shenanigans --about which we must not say more on this platform --which is a good thing, I think.

It's also possible that your produce clerk's family (and my shoe store employee's family) didn't own or work with computers at that time
--and/or there was a divorce or death or fire or other catastrophe at that time causing Y2K to drop off the radar of concerns for those youngsters at the time
--and/or there was an attractive classmate seated nearby who consumed most thoughts.

Edited by shapeshifter · Reason: d
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

I feel like I can’t fault people for not knowing something that happened when they were young kids. For instance, I was a a baby when Richard Nixon was impeached. I don’t recall being taught much about it in school and the only info I now know is due to my adult self learning about it. Even today, there are things I have no clue about, but seem to be “big” deals to other people, and vice versa. One can only know about something if they know there is something to know about in the first place (if that makes any sense, haha!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I'm somewhat used to younger folks not being clued into noteworthy people and events  from even the lattter part of  20th century but the other day I was in a produce department and mentioned something about Y2K to a 20-something produce attendant- and I wound up having to explain what Y2K had been! 

I was an adult in 1999/2000 and my husband worked in IT but even so for a second or two after I started reading your post I was blanking out on what Y2K meant!  I agree with @shapeshifter that it was a big deal that basically fizzled out into a nothing deal by 12.01 am on the Jan 1, 2000!  

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Are people going to have to Google how manual typewriters and rotary telephones worked in the near future?

I took my grandchildren to the Science and Technology Museum in the before pandemic times and they were fascinated by the display of "ancient" telephones.  They had never seen a rotary phone before and had no idea how it worked.  Their reaction was similar to mine at the same age when I first came across an old style crank phone.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I feel like I can’t fault people for not knowing something that happened when they were young kids. For instance, I was a a baby when Richard Nixon was impeached. I don’t recall being taught much about it in school and the only info I now know is due to my adult self learning about it. Even today, there are things I have no clue about, but seem to be “big” deals to other people, and vice versa. One can only know about something if they know there is something to know about in the first place (if that makes any sense, haha!).

Richard Nixon was never impeached.

• Like 5

For anyone interested in learning more about what was going on with Y2K, including those who lived through it, I highly recommend Dan Taberski's podcast, Surviving Y2K. It's available on Spotify, Stitcher, etc. and here: https://www.topic.com/surviving-y2k

Edited by ABay
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Correct. Articles of impeachment were presented, but he resigned before the vote.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I on the other hand watch marathons pop culture and other history shows and think.... WTF I remember that.  That didn't happen before I was born, was an infant, etc.  Then I become very confused.  Then I think maybe I'm remembering TV shows about history as if I lived them.  But the thing is, I had a pet rock.  I remember the pet rock craze.  I'm pretty sure that is not a fad that lasted a decade.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Sorry—just meant his whole drama that I was never specifically taught. Considered for impeachment? Accused of impeachable offenses (impeachable moments, haha!).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Sorry—just meant his whole drama that I was never specifically taught.

That's awful. They really should at least go back to teaching Civics in this country.

• Like 7

Yeah, I feel like all of the history we had in school was waaaaay in the past stuff, not more recent events.

• Like 3

I remember many years ago, watching some documentary series (so a real person, not a scripted character), and a teenager was told to look something up in the phone book, and he was utterly befuddled, even once handed a phone book that he looked through.

I understand having never used one if you grew up when looking things up online was always an easy option, but a) this was back when the phone book was delivered to your doorstep, so it's not a foreign object (what a lack of curiosity to have never asked, "What's this for?"), and, more importantly, b) if someone hands you a book, says look [it] up in there, and you flip through and see alphabetized listings, shouldn't you clue in to how you might find [it] within?

• Like 5
  • Surprise 2

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I remember many years ago, watching some documentary series (so a real person, not a scripted character), and a teenager was told to look something up in the phone book, and he was utterly befuddled, even once handed a phone book that he looked through.

I understand having never used one if you grew up when looking things up online was always an easy option, but a) this was back when the phone book was delivered to your doorstep, so it's not a foreign object (what a lack of curiosity to have never asked, "What's this for?"), and, more importantly, b) if someone hands you a book, says look [it] up in there, and you flip through and see alphabetized listings, shouldn't you clue in to how you might find [it] within?

Some people have no intellectual curiosity. Like, at all.

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's awful. They really should at least go back to teaching Civics in this country.

I know from experience, that many teachers have the best of intentions when it comes to covering recent history, but life gets in the way.  They plan out the whole course and expect to talk about everything, but between snow days and the teacher getting sick for 4 days and some really intense discussions about the 1930s and the Holocaust, etc. things get rushed.  Teachers then have to cram 2 decades worth of material into one week of classes.  

My undergraduate degree was in history and one semester I took a class on the French Revolution.  The professor got so into discussing all the stuff we needed before 1789 that we never got to the French Revolution.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

When you get takeout and they forget something. I know stuff happens, but it is annoying. I had it happen the last three times I got takeout. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

When you get takeout and they forget something. I know stuff happens, but it is annoying. I had it happen the last three times I got takeout. 

All from the same place? If so, it might time for a talk with the management. #nokaren

• Laugh 5

5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know from experience, that many teachers have the best of intentions when it comes to covering recent history, but life gets in the way.  They plan out the whole course and expect to talk about everything, but between snow days and the teacher getting sick for 4 days and some really intense discussions about the 1930s and the Holocaust, etc. things get rushed.  Teachers then have to cram 2 decades worth of material into one week of classes.  

My undergraduate degree was in history and one semester I took a class on the French Revolution.  The professor got so into discussing all the stuff we needed before 1789 that we never got to the French Revolution.  

My degree is in History too - I took a semester course on the events in Europe in from the 16th to 19th centuries and managed to learn all about the French Revolution.  Alas, these many years later I don’t remember much.  I still have the books though.  
My Junior and Senior years in High School had a pretty good structure regarding what would be covered in History class - we had trimesters and at the end of each one we moved on to another teacher plus could be with a different group of students from our respective grades.  So for History the first trimester covered a specified time period, the second after that and the third the next time period.  We managed to make it to the 20th century.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

All from the same place? If so, it might time for a talk with the management. #nokaren

lol! No, they were from different places. It's just annoying that I had bad lack three times in a row. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

lol! No, they were from different places. It's just annoying that I had bad lack three times in a row. 

We actually did order from the same place 3 or 4 times  over the course of a month or two even though each time they managed to mess up something.  We wanted to be good about helping keep local businesses going during the pandemic.  But honestly the more they screwed up the more it seemed like we cared more about them staying in business than they did!

• Laugh 7

7 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I was an adult in 1999/2000 and my husband worked in IT but even so for a second or two after I started reading your post I was blanking out on what Y2K meant!  I agree with @shapeshifter that it was a big deal that basically fizzled out into a nothing deal by 12.01 am on the Jan 1, 2000!  

I took my grandchildren to the Science and Technology Museum in the before pandemic times and they were fascinated by the display of "ancient" telephones.  They had never seen a rotary phone before and had no idea how it worked.  Their reaction was similar to mine at the same age when I first came across an old style crank phone.

I worked a 2nd job in a department store for about 5 yrs during the recession which began in 2008-ish.  We were selling an all-in-one stereo unit which had a turntable, CD player, cassette tape, etc., and the boss brought in some of his albums to use for demo purposes (no, I wouldn't have either).  Anyway, I had a 20 or 21-yr old co-worker whom I dispatched to set up the unit and get the album going on the turntable.  He came back about 10 minutes later with a sheepish look on his face, and humbly said to me "I don't know how that works.  I can't figure it out."  I had just turned 50 not long before that, and that moment sort of defined my transition to I'm not one of them anymore.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 11

We are having cable problems, at least on the TVs that have on demand stuff on it. I just have an older cable box on my TV (no on demand stuff) so it works fine. Our phone and internet are still okay; when we called xfinity, they said it was an outage, but we are apparently the only one in our street with this issue. They said it will be fixed by tomorrow morning, but we’re still pretty pissed off, especially since it cut off right when my mom was watching a free HBO movie and it seems we won’t get it back in time before our free weekend runs out.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

xfinity, they said it was an outage, but we are apparently the only one in our street with this issue. They said it will be fixed by tomorrow morning, but we’re still pretty pissed off, especially since it cut off right when my mom was watching a feee HBO movie and it seems we won’t get it back in time before our free weekend runs out.

My first instinct is to rant to Xfinity about it so they either give you some bonus stuff or a rebate to cover the cost of the missed show. Once I've started asking for justice for my 1st World Problem, there's no stopping me, heh. 
In contrast, my middle daughter doesn't ever return anything to a store for any reason, even though she really can't afford not to.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My first instinct is to rant to Xfinity about it so they either give you some bonus stuff or a rebate to cover the cost of the missed show. Once I've started asking for justice for my 1st World Problem, there's no stopping me, heh. 
In contrast, my middle daughter doesn't ever return anything to a store for any reason, even though she really can't afford not to.

They said they’d give us $22 of credit on our bill. It would be nice if they extended our HBO free weekend but I doubt they’d do it. I just hope we get it back at all.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

We are having cable problems, at least on the TVs that have on demand stuff on it. I just have an older cable box on my TV (no on demand stuff) so it works fine. Our phone and internet are still okay; when we called xfinity, they said it was an outage, but we are apparently the only one in our street with this issue. They said it will be fixed by tomorrow morning, but we’re still pretty pissed off, especially since it cut off right when my mom was watching a feee HBO movie and it seems we won’t get it back in time before our free weekend runs out.

Since there should be a time record of both the movie and your complaint call(s), I would definitely make a play with Comcast to try and get at most, another free weekend (or day) of HBO, or at least, a free viewing of the movie she was viewing.

You'll get neither if you don't ask.

p.s.:  I despise Comcast.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yeah, I feel like all of the history we had in school was waaaaay in the past stuff, not more recent events.

Ever run into someone who doesn't know what 9/11 is?

• Like 1
  • Surprise 7

7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

7 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

My degree is in History too - I took a semester course on the events in Europe in from the 16th to 19th centuries and managed to learn all about the French Revolution.  Alas, these many years later I don’t remember much.  I still have the books though.  
My Junior and Senior years in High School had a pretty good structure regarding what would be covered in History class - we had trimesters and at the end of each one we moved on to another teacher plus could be with a different group of students from our respective grades.  So for History the first trimester covered a specified time period, the second after that and the third the next time period.  We managed to make it to the 20th century.  

A Sociology professor told us that history couldn't be accurately taught until it was at least 20 years after the events. This could explain why young adults who are now out of school wouldn't necessarily be familiar with events that occurred about 20 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Since there should be a time record of both the movie and your complaint call(s), I would definitely make a play with Comcast to try and get at most, another free weekend (or day) of HBO, or at least, a free viewing of the movie she was viewing.

You'll get neither if you don't ask.

p.s.:  I despise Comcast.

Got our cable back just in time for Mom to resume the movie for free! Thanks for the support, everyone! First world problems are still a pain in the ass lol.

• Like 5

When Paul Newman died, a young co-worker of mine (about 28 at the time) said, "Oh, the salad dressing guy died?"  Not one of only four actors to be nominated for an Academy Award in five different decades, which speaks to his longevity and the quality of his work, but the salad dressing guy!  She had no clue about his work as an actor.  I felt sooooo old.  

Another peeve about circumstances making me feel old:  recently my small Corningware casserole dish slipped out of my hand when I was taking it out of the cupboard and smashed into many, many pieces.  I tried to order a replacement only to discover that my pattern is now considered vintage.  Damn, I really am getting old.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

30 minutes ago, GaT said:

Ever run into someone who doesn't know what 9/11 is?

Not so far, but I will ask my friend’s new baby and report back, haha! 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

12 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not so far, but I will ask my friend’s new baby and report back, haha! 

Maybe in 20+ years your friend's baby will be writing a college thesis paper on 9/11. 😉

And now I have once again revealed my true colors of being that annoying person that is the subject of a pet peeve. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

I remember talking to my husband in front of our sixteen year old babysitter about some movie or other and it turned out she'd never heard of Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean or anyone who wasn't in tv show on Friday nights in the eighties.

• Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A Sociology professor told us that history couldn't be accurately taught until it was at least 20 years after the events. This could explain why young adults who are now out of school wouldn't necessarily be familiar with events that occurred about 20 years ago.

I went to school in the '80s.  Usually, the furthest we ever got up to in history was Reconstruction.  Maybe I should clarify this was the 1980s.  Not the 1880s.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 8
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I went to school in the '80s.  Usually, the furthest we ever got up to in history was Reconstruction.  Maybe I should clarify this was the 1980s.  Not the 1880s.

Not even the Depression? WWI1? WW2? Wow. We got as far as MLK and the Civil Rights movement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Not even the Depression? WWI1? WW2? Wow. We got as far as MLK and the Civil Rights movement.

For all I learned from school WW2 could have been the second half of WW1.  But, now that you mention it, the teacher did skip ahead to the '60s.  He was a former hippie. But, the only thing we learned about the Vietnam War were the protests.  

But, don't worry, since school I have found a love of reading about history.  I'm much more sketchy on WW1 than WW2, but I do know they were two separate wars.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

21 minutes ago, Katy M said:

For all I learned from school WW2 could have been the second half of WW1.  But, now that you mention it, the teacher did skip ahead to the '60s.  He was a former hippie. But, the only thing we learned about the Vietnam War were the protests.  

But, don't worry, since school I have found a love of reading about history.  I'm much more sketchy on WW1 than WW2, but I do know they were two separate wars.

Oh, I wasn't worried. I know you're smarter than that! We didn't hear much about Viet Nam because the war was still going on until I graduated from high school.

• Like 2

I want to say that I recall learning about the Civil War (overview) when in elementary school. I DO know that I learned about Slavery in high school--and they didn't brush over it. Hell, in junior year, my teacher got Roots for us to see. But alas, it was only one episode. But we covered that subject.

I know when I got to college, I chose a multitude of history classes, which were electives, as I majored in Broadcast Journalism, with a Minor in Criminal Justice.

To go back, we talked about Iran--what with the hostages during the time I was in elementary and how it was affecting us all. 

All I remember about Vietnam, was the commercial with a Father and his son, and they're at the Wall, and it ends with the son asking his dad: "What's Vietnam?"

But again, to stay on topic, I knew a lot of history as a kid--and pop culture. Hell, I knew who the BEATLES were as a kid in the 70s.

Like @peacheslatour said, there is no intellectual curiosity. At least today, all the information is at one's fingertips! I had to go to the library if I wanted to learn more information.

My latest peeve that has me wailing and gnashing my teeth: that the crazy loon whose home I used to live in probably STOLE my Duran Duran albums and my Air Supply Greatest Hits. 🤬🤬Woman had no sense of boundaries when I lived there, and would "borrow" my dvds without asking to watch upstairs. When I left, it wasn't pretty. Back in 2013.

I was watching Cold Case and one of Air Supply's songs was playing, so I thought I'd pull out the LP to see which one it was, because iTunes didn't have that cover, and I discovered, while one Duran Duran album was there, along with my Bollywood ones and religious music ones, All the other Duran Duran albums are GONE!😭😭😭

I checked Amazon for the prices of the missing albums, and whoo boy!

Oh! And my Wham albums are gone!!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 9

UTI's. The fucking worst. The symptoms hit you like a ton of bricks and the antibiotics they give you make you feel sick. Ugh. 

<--- just back from the doctor, have a UTI

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

21 hours ago, Calvada said:

When Paul Newman died, a young co-worker of mine (about 28 at the time) said, "Oh, the salad dressing guy died?"  Not one of only four actors to be nominated for an Academy Award in five different decades, which speaks to his longevity and the quality of his work, but the salad dressing guy!  She had no clue about his work as an actor.  I felt sooooo old.  

Another peeve about circumstances making me feel old:  recently my small Corningware casserole dish slipped out of my hand when I was taking it out of the cupboard and smashed into many, many pieces.  I tried to order a replacement only to discover that my pattern is now considered vintage.  Damn, I really am getting old.  

Try E-Bay.  My favorite Christmas Cookie Platter fell into a hundred pieces a few years ago.  I bought it in Cracker Barrel.  I tried the manufacturer, Cracker Barrel .. every place to no avail.  Then looked on E Bay.  It was there and I was thrilled. I originally paid $30, and it was $8 on e bay.  The seller was great and I got it in 3 days packed beautifully and was so happy.  Put it in search.  If I can find the name of the seller, I will let you know.

Edited by Hangin Out
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

image.thumb.jpeg.777e2de35094e3655a4f1cff95014511.jpeg

There was one time when I actually meant to say “ducking” and it changed it to the word I usually want. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 11

On 6/21/2021 at 10:01 PM, Calvada said:

3 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Try E-Bay.  My favorite Christmas Cookie Platter fell into a hundred pieces a few years ago.  I bought it in Cracker Barrel.  I tried the manufacturer, Cracker Barrel .. every place to no avail.  Then looked on E Bay.  It was there and I was thrilled. I originally paid $30, and it was $8 on e bay.  The seller was great and I got it in 3 days packed beautifully and was so happy.  Put it in search.  If I can find the name of the seller, I will let you know.

I was getting ready to say, was it the blue pattern or the multi-color pattern? Maybe I can set you up.  Then I remembered that I got a newer set (the "lightweight" stuff) a decade or so ago, and I've been served from my old stuff when I've visited my son & his family lately.  Except for the blue pattern 9x13.  I'm not parting with that one.  I may only use it every couple of months but I'm handling with care.

• Like 3

More first world problems. This is a multilayer peeve. Read it if you dare. 

I have two American Express accounts. I accidentally sent two payments this month to the same account. When I discovered this last week I contacted them by chat on their web site and was assured that the extra payment would be moved to the correct card.  Well, no surprise, this didn’t happen and my card was declined yesterday. Peeve one.

I had to waste another hour calling up to have it corrected again, including one instance of being on hold and being disconnected and having to reinitiate the call. Peeve two.

Then they said my card would still be shut down for two more days. Peeve three. This card is connected to my on line payments such as Amazon. Unacceptable. After trying to get a supervisor to fix it, the best they could do was to give me $500 open line of credit for the two days. How is it that they have had my money for three weeks but they can’t credit it to another account instantaneously?  Also I hate how they are trained to recite platitudes to explain their inexplicable “system” so you will go away. Finally I hate that I am so frustrated by this that I have to start acting like a Karen to get something to happen but how else do you get past the gatekeeper?  I know I made the original error, but come on. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, GussieK said:

More first world problems. This is a multilayer peeve. Read it if you dare. 

I have two American Express accounts. I accidentally sent two payments this month to the same account. When I discovered this last week I contacted them by chat on their web site and was assured that the extra payment would be moved to the correct card.  Well, no surprise, this didn’t happen and my card was declined yesterday. Peeve one.

I had to waste another hour calling up to have it corrected again, including one instance of being on hold and being disconnected and having to reinitiate the call. Peeve two.

Then they said my card would still be shut down for two more days. Peeve three. This card is connected to my on line payments such as Amazon. Unacceptable. After trying to get a supervisor to fix it, the best they could do was to give me $500 open line of credit for the two days. How is it that they have had my money for three weeks but they can’t credit it to another account instantaneously?  Also I hate how they are trained to recite platitudes to explain their inexplicable “system” so you will go away. Finally I hate that I am so frustrated by this that I have to start acting like a Karen to get something to happen but how else do you get past the gatekeeper?  I know I made the original error, but come on. 

I had to deal with this sort of thing recently and know how exasperating it is. In my case it didn't get resolved until after I started pointing out specifically and repeatedly where they were at fault (even though my understandable mistake had triggered the whole mess).
Let us know how it goes!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was getting ready to say, was it the blue pattern or the multi-color pattern? Maybe I can set you up.  Then I remembered that I got a newer set (the "lightweight" stuff) a decade or so ago, and I've been served from my old stuff when I've visited my son & his family lately.  Except for the blue pattern 9x13.  I'm not parting with that one.  I may only use it every couple of months but I'm handling with care.

My mom "permanently loaned" me a bunch of her Corningware. She has so much you would never notice anything was missing from her stash. It was a sad sad day in the TRH household when a shallow square dish, perfect for asparagus, slipped out of the cupboard and broke. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.