Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Ooh, I just thought of  a peeve that has been bugging me for ages. Digital cartoons. There are no longer colors found in nature. The beautiful reds, greens and blues of vintage cartoons are gone. All I see when I look at modern animation is cyan, magenta and yellow. I hate it. It's jarring and ugly.

• Like 2

Air conditioners. Do they ever fit in real life the way the manual says they're supposed to? My fingers and knuckles look like someone took a cheese grater to them and my back hurts, and they still aren't in right. Aren't they suppose to just pop in? So frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

51 minutes ago, ABay said:

Air conditioners. Do they ever fit in real life the way the manual says they're supposed to? My fingers and knuckles look like someone took a cheese grater to them and my back hurts, and they still aren't in right. Aren't they suppose to just pop in? So frustrating.

No, it takes a village to put in a window air conditioner. And that village needs to include a strong enough, young enough man or sturdy woman.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Ticks.  Why are they everywhere now?  I had a happy, rambling outdoors childhood (long long ago) and never heard of ticks.  Now they are right here in my own back yard. Carrying scary diseases.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

When your favorite Youtube channel is no more. I loved Pixiwoo. I'm very happy for their success, but couldn't they have left the old tutorials up? Couldn't they still make money from ads? I don't know, but it's a bummer as a fan. 

5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

In my own world of peeves...

I'm running low on stamps. When I do occasionally have to buy new stamps, I like to get whatever commemorative design catches my eye.

I'm used to ordering everything online these days and figured I could go to the USPS site to just order them directly from the source. Seems to be easier than making a trip to the post office. I discovered that I can get a sheet of Star Wars Droids, so I put those in the cart and went to check out.

They're going to charge me $1.30 shipping.

I'm pretty sure they're going to stop by my house tomorrow, and the next day, and then Monday-Saturday next week.  Can't they just drop them off while they're there?

If you get an order form from your mail carrier, do you still pay shipping?  Any postal carriers in this forum who can answer this question?  If you're not home when your mail is delivered, you can leave a note requesting an order form for stamps, but I don't know if they charge for shipping this way.  I don't think you can pay by credit card this way; you need to write a check.  I would guess you still have to pay shipping, but you might get your stamps sooner.  Last December, I ordered stamps online from USPS to send out holiday cards and it took  2 weeks for the stamps to arrive.  I thought my order would go to the local post office, but instead they were sent from out of state - maybe Kansas City?  I was trying to avoid going into the post office since our COVID numbers were terrible, but because it took so long to get the stamps, I ended up going to the post office since otherwise my holiday cards would have arrived after the holidays.  The person at the post office told me I can request an order form from my carrier ( I didn't ask about a shipping cost) and I would get stamps quicker that way instead of by ordering from USPS.com.  However, I don't know if that was the case only in December with holiday mailing.  I just hope I remember this December that I have holiday stamps on hand, with the double purchasing last year.    

• Useful 2

34 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

No, it takes a village to put in a window air conditioner. And that village needs to include a strong enough, young enough man or sturdy woman.

This just dredged up a memory of my deadbeat, mostly absent father helping my mother install the window-unit air conditioners she bought after they divorced. I don't remember if he was dropping us off after a weekend visit or what. I remember how weird and confused I felt watching them work together to install the AC's, since they'd split when I was five, and my memories of my father at home are very, very few.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Ooh, I just thought of  a peeve that has been bugging me for ages. Digital cartoons. There are no longer colors found in nature. The beautiful reds, greens and blues of vintage cartoons are gone. All I see when I look at modern animation is cyan, magenta and yellow. I hate it. It's jarring and ugly.

I only watch Looney Tunes from way back...esp the ones that have the "voices" w/ Brooklyn accents. To me, they are so hilarious--the crazy antics of the cartoon characters + the funny New Yawk ax-cents (I'm a New Yorker but still love all the varied accents in that state).

• Like 4

5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I only watch Looney Tunes from way back...esp the ones that have the "voices" w/ Brooklyn accents. To me, they are so hilarious--the crazy antics of the cartoon characters + the funny New Yawk ax-cents (I'm a New Yorker but still love all the varied accents in that state).

I grew up in Queens in the 50s and 60s.  I watched a documentary about the early Beatles a couple of years ago and the funniest thing was hearing some young girls outside the Ed Sullivan Show gushing over the Fab Four in the thickest NY accents. You just don’t hear those accents anymore. I taught myself to lose it. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, GussieK said:

I grew up in Queens in the 50s and 60s.  I watched a documentary about the early Beatles a couple of years ago and the funniest thing was hearing some young girls outside the Ed Sullivan Show gushing over the Fab Four in the thickest NY accents. You just don’t hear those accents anymore. I taught myself to lose it. 

I went to a college in New England where my NY accent amused my roommates. So I did the same thing: taught myself how to pronounce words like coffee, dog, walk, etc., without that New Yawk accent (& Mid-Hudson twang). It only emerges when I'm really ticked awf  :>)

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I went to a college in New England where my NY accent amused my roommates. So I did the same thing: taught myself how to pronounce words like coffee, dog, walk, etc., without that New Yawk accent (& Mid-Hudson twang). It only emerges when I'm really ticked awf  :>)

Mom was born in 1928. For about 10 minutes after she talked to her brother on the phone she’d have a New Yawk accent.

We were forbidden from adopting the flat, broad A sound of the Chicago suburbs just like my dad and his siblings were forbidden from speaking anything but English: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:En-US_can_(raised_vs._unraised).ogg
I still remember the first day of 5th grade a girl politely asking “How come we all say ‘cat’ {pronounced like “can” in the link above, but even more so} and you say ‘cat’?”

ETA: And now I am peeved because this linked audio file above cannot be played in Safari on iPhone 7. 

Edited by shapeshifter

5 hours ago, GussieK said:

I wonder if those girls, now 70-ish still, have those accents.  My parents never taught me English because they didn’t want me to sound like a Hong Konger when I started school.  I learned English from the other kids in my class and from TV.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Judginess in the form of internet lists.

I just saw a list of wedding trends that are on their way out.  OK, fine.  Things change.  I was curious, so I looked.  My problem was the commentary that came with the list.  On a bunch of the items it says, "This is NOT OK."  I mean from their tone you would think they were talking about public beddings after the wedding.

But, no.  Themed weddings are NOT OK.  Throwing the bouquet is not OK because it's wasteful of flowers.  First of all, not everybody uses real flowers.  I "caught" the bouquet (actually I picked it up off the floor when nobody else caught it) and as the flowers are fake I still have it.  Having the bride's maids all wear the same dress is "extremely problematic."

I don't care if any of these things are not things any more.  But, my goodness, can we tone down the outrage at them.

• Like 11
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Mom was born in 1928. For about 10 minutes after she talked to her brother on the phone she’d have a New Yawk accent.

We were forbidden from adopting the flat, broad A sound of the Chicago suburbs just like my dad and his siblings were forbidden from speaking anything but English: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:En-US_can_(raised_vs._unraised).ogg
I still remember the first day of 5th grade a girl politely asking “How come we all say ‘cat’ {pronounced like “can” in the link above, but even more so} and you say ‘cat’?”

ETA: And now I am peeved because this linked audio file above cannot be played in Safari on iPhone 7. 

Now, to me the first pronunciation of "can" sounds right so that's thanks to my Mid-Hudson twang background. If I try to pronounce "can" the second way, it sounds affected to me.

• Useful 1

45 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Now, to me the first pronunciation of "can" sounds right so that's thanks to my Mid-Hudson twang background. If I try to pronounce "can" the second way, it sounds affected to me.

How about British pronunciations of short A sounds? Or does it depend upon which Bridgerton character is doing the pronouncing? LOL 

5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

How about British pronunciations of short A sounds? Or does it depend upon which Bridgerton character is doing the pronouncing? LOL 

The British upper crust pronunciation of "can" to my ear would be similar to the second (probably why I've never fixed my twangy way of saying that word!)

Re: the wedding trends lists--why do creators of these lists have to be so condescending? Esp now that we're emerging from a year-long shutdown when, hopefully, weddings can be fully & joyously celebrated.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I grew up in East Texas and the accent is crazy strong there (think typical Texas twang mixed with a Cajun drawl). When I lived in LA for a few months I taught myself how to tone it down so people wouldn't make fun of me, but also so people could understand me easier. But whenever I go back to visit family, it comes roaring back for a little while. Window is winda; I'm not trying to, I'm fixing to; all of us is all y'all. I've never been able to shake using y'all, though, that one is stuck. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I grew up in East Texas and the accent is crazy strong there (think typical Texas twang mixed with a Cajun drawl). When I lived in LA for a few months I taught myself how to tone it down so people wouldn't make fun of me, but also so people could understand me easier. But whenever I go back to visit family, it comes roaring back for a little while. Window is winda; I'm not trying to, I'm fixing to; all of us is all y'all. I've never been able to shake using y'all, though, that one is stuck. 

@emma675, one of my college friends was from Texas and was the first person I heard say “fixin’ to.” I love it. 

I went to college in Memphis more than 25 years ago and still use y’all regularly (originally from the Midwest). When I talk to coworkers based in the South I have an accent that I don’t normally have. What I find weird about it is that I don’t have an ear for languages at all but picked up that accent. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 2

Peeve:  the term "indigenous."  Okay, use it all you want to refer to native communities of, say, North America, but other cultures?  Someone says everyone is "indigenous" to somewhere.  But many of us are mixed.  And come from civilizations that are thousands of years old.  How am I supposed to define where I'm "indigenous" to?  Chinese civilization is thousands of years old.  Are we talking about going waaaay back to the bronze age?  Pre-imperial China?  It's not something I understand at all.  This usually comes from people who're trying to be really politically correct.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I thought indigenous is used to describe the people who were living in a place in relation to the people who colonized their land.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Since we had graduation yesterday, my pet peeve is when women wear 5 inch stilettos, can't walk in them, and end up kicking their shoes off and going barefoot. 

That happened to several students yesterday. They were teetering while still standing in line and could not make it through the march to the stage. So they ended up going barefoot.

Like ... just wear more practical shoes ... If you can't even stand up straight in a pair of shoes what makes y ou think you can walk in them?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

I just realized I pronounce “can” both ways, depending on the definition. The first way is when I mean a can as in a container. The second way is when I am using it as in “I can see it.”

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I just realized I pronounce “can” both ways, depending on the definition. The first way is when I mean a can as in a container. The second way is when I am using it as in “I can see it.”

That’s interesting. (Only if you are comfortable sharing) where did you live as a child through young adulthood? 
I’m guessing: 

Spoiler

more than one area of the country 

7 hours ago, Katy M said:

Having the bride's maids all wear the same dress is "extremely problematic."

The list writers indeed sound ridiculously agitated about their "don'ts", but I wish every wedding column in the world advised against this practice.  The odds of two bridesmaids liking and looking good in the same dress aren't great, so the more bridesmaids one adds, the greater the chance of forcing some of them to buy a dress that doesn't flatter them - and then spend hours getting photographed in it.  It's not a nice thing to do.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The list writers indeed sound ridiculously agitated about their "don'ts", but I wish every wedding column in the world advised against this practice.  The odds of two bridesmaids liking and looking good in the same dress aren't great, so the more bridesmaids one adds, the greater the chance of forcing some of them to buy a dress that doesn't flatter them - and then spend hours getting photographed in it.  It's not a nice thing to do.

And such a waste! About 15 years ago when the number of weddings my oldest daughter was attending was ramping up, I was initially surprised that one friend asked the bridesmaids to wear any variation on The Little Black Dress, so they could use it again. Such a thoughtful idea! I’m sorry I don’t have any backstory on the bride’s family members opinions about her choice.

Anyway, bridezillas and sister– and mother– and mother-in-law-zillas* provide us with a wealth of behaviors to complain about.😉

*and uncles and brothers and fathers of the bride, et al.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It just annoyed me that they used the word "problematic" to describe matching dresses.  it's one of those words I can't stand any more as it's used way too often.  About things that aren't problematic at all.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Adiba said:

Oh! I never thought about it but if I’d say “ I can see that can of beans on the shelf” there’s definitely a difference!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh! I never thought about it but if I’d say “ I can see that can of beans on the shelf” there’s definitely a difference!

Same here!  “I can see that there” comes out as “I kin see that there” in my Torontonian-speak while “a can of soup” sounds different.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That’s interesting. (Only if you are comfortable sharing) where did you live as a child through young adulthood? 
I’m guessing: 

Reveal spoiler

more than one area of the country 

No, weirdly enough, all my life in the northeast—Pennsylvania for the last 25!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Interesting topic. I was born in WI left as a baby, both parents born and raised in WI. Grew up in Northern CA, but when I say "I can see" and "a can of soup", I can hear a difference, fascinating!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

The difference between can in You can go. and can in That's a large can. is mostly because functional words like modal auxiliaries such as can, will, etc. are unstressed, so the vowel in the middle becomes reduced. While nouns like can, box, etc. don't show this reduction.

How much reduction and what the vowel in the noun is, does differ across English variants. Also the amount of nasalization of that vowel compared to the one in cat.

In case you want to check out the Yale American dialect atlas: https://ygdp.yale.edu/phenomena-by-category

Although it's mostly about grammatical differences.

• Useful 5

20 hours ago, emma675 said:

19 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

@emma675, one of my college friends was from Texas and was the first person I heard say “fixin’ to.” I love it. 

I went to college in Memphis more than 25 years ago and still use y’all regularly (originally from the Midwest). When I talk to coworkers based in the South I have an accent that I don’t normally have. What I find weird about it is that I don’t have an ear for languages at all but picked up that accent. 

I think "y'all" has come to exist in the place where a lot of different kinds of English intersect -- the difference probably being whether it's used only for informal conversation, or also for more formal occasions. 

I will always remember back in the early 80s when I was visiting my parents (I in my late 20s; Mom in her mid 50s) and I heard her say "y'all" for the first time to a friend on the phone.
Shocked (she was a grammar stickler, among other things) I exclaimed, "Did I just hear you say 'y'all'?"
She smiled impishly and said, "I might have." ☺️

Lately I have been enjoying using "all y'all" on social media where my age, race, gender, and species are unknown.
Thanks, Mom, for giving me permission through example. 

And now, once again, back to our regular complaining. But I will spare y'all the latest tails/tales of unleased dogs on the beach.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 3:23 AM, GussieK said:

I grew up in Ozone Park Queens too.  Got married and moved to Long Island.  Whenever I go out of state, everyone knows where I’m from by the N.Y. Accent.  I remember the Beatles also, watching with my friends on a small t.v.  Were you ever at Forest Park and Victory Field?  Sooo long ago.  I never lost my accent. Lol

• Like 5

Anyway, bridezillas and sister– and mother– and mother-in-law-zillas* provide us with a wealth of behaviors to complain about.😉

And that is why although I was a florist for many years, I never did weddings. I would help friends that were doing them but I saw too many horrible situations where people had emotional break downs because it was "THE MOST IMPORTANT DAY OF MY LIFE!1!" No, it is not. If that's how you feel about if then I don't give your marriage much of a chance.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

And that is why although I was a florist for many years, I never did weddings. I would help friends that were doing them but I saw too many horrible situations where people had emotional break downs because it was "THE MOST IMPORTANT DAY OF MY LIFE!1!" No, it is not. If that's how you feel about if then I don't give your marriage much of a chance.

Well, it's a pretty important day.  What isn't important (and no offense to florists, caterers, wedding planners, etc) are the food, flowers, clothes, decorations, blah blah blah.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Have you guys ever been to color-schemed weddings? Where the guests (not just the bridesmaids) have to dress in a certain color to fit the "color scheme"? I went to a wedding like that once. All the female guests had to wear like a lilac color because lilac was the color scheme.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Have you guys ever been to color-schemed weddings? Where the guests (not just the bridesmaids) have to dress in a certain color to fit the "color scheme"? I went to a wedding like that once. All the female guests had to wear like a lilac color because lilac was the color scheme.

How much later was the couple divorced, or was it soon enough to be annulled?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 12

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

All the female guests had to wear like a lilac color because lilac was the color scheme.

That would have been reason enough for me not to go. Lilac looks terrible on me. 😉

• Like 7
  • Laugh 3

37 minutes ago, supposebly said:

That would have been reason enough for me not to go. Lilac looks terrible on me. 😉

My bridesmaid's dresses were extremely plain because one of them was my fourteen year old cousin and one of the other's was my boss' seven months pregnant daughter. I didn't have many girlfriends after high school because everybody kind of scattered all over the world. They were just simple empire waist, square necked linen things and yes, they were lavender. But in my defense, my wedding flowers were lilacs and it never would have occurred to me in a million years to expect our guests to coordinate with that.

• Like 6

And these wedding stories again remind me of why I am so grateful to have been a hippie bride. My husband and I both wore white cotton Tibetan garments (like being in pajamas all day - so comfortable!) and we had a "best person" (who eventually wound up as my son's godfather) and I certainly did not tell him or anybody else what to wear. I had a bouquet of white roses and before the ceremony started we made sure everyone was happily drinking my favorite punch recipe (one third vodka, one third champagne, one third pineapple/orange juice, well stirred and chilled). One of my pet peeves in life is when anyone throws a party (and this includes a wedding party) and doesn't make sure *everyone* is having a good relaxed time.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, isalicat said:

And these wedding stories again remind me of why I am so grateful to have been a hippie bride. My husband and I both wore white cotton Tibetan garments (like being in pajamas all day - so comfortable!) and we had a "best person" (who eventually wound up as my son's godfather) and I certainly did not tell him or anybody else what to wear. I had a bouquet of white roses and before the ceremony started we made sure everyone was happily drinking my favorite punch recipe (one third vodka, one third champagne, one third pineapple/orange juice, well stirred and chilled). One of my pet peeves in life is when anyone throws a party (and this includes a wedding party) and doesn't make sure *everyone* is having a good relaxed time.

That punch sounds divine!

• Like 2

When did these bridezilla type weddings start? Was it in the 80's or 90's? Where did these gals get the idea that because they'll be the only  ones in a white gown & veil, that they're the queens or empresses of the whole event? AFAIK, I haven't attended a bridezilla wedding. All the brides were gracious & appreciated their guests.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

I grew up in Ozone Park Queens too.  Got married and moved to Long Island.  Whenever I go out of state, everyone knows where I’m from by the N.Y. Accent. 

Many, many years ago we were vacationing in Hawaii. We went out to dinner & at the end of the meal, the waiter asked me what part of New York I was from. Naturally, I asked  him how he knew I was from New York, & he said "you just told me that you didn't want any cawfee". I moved from New York eons ago, but the accent stayed.

• Laugh 5

3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Have you guys ever been to color-schemed weddings? Where the guests (not just the bridesmaids) have to dress in a certain color to fit the "color scheme"?

Oh, dear.  No, I haven't - I've never been invited to such a thing, and wouldn't go if I was.  Bad enough being put in a costume as part of the wedding party, but hell no to subjecting myself to that as a guest.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Lately I have been enjoying using "all y'all"

Y'all (or all y'all, which is my preferred version, especially in uses like "fuck all y'all") is a wonderful addition to a language that doesn't have a proper second person plural pronoun.  You as a plural and a singular doesn't cut it, "you guys" is gendered -- y'all/all y'all it is. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

As someone severely allergic to most flowers I guess my pet peeve is also events where there are a lot of flowers. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Because English doesn't have a noticable plural for "you", European immigrants made their own version: yous or youse (as in youse guys). Well, that's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

I was once "outed" as a New Yorker when I lived in NC because I said wawder.  I've got a big white mug on the kitchen counter on which I wrote Cawfee (saw it once online and loved it).

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

57 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Y'all (or all y'all, which is my preferred version, especially in uses like "fuck all y'all") is a wonderful addition to a language that doesn't have a proper second person plural pronoun.  You as a plural and a singular doesn't cut it, "you guys" is gendered -- y'all/all y'all it is. 

Ah-ha! Once again @Bastet has clarified for me why things just seem right to me.🤩
I shall now use "all y'all" with greater confidence. 😎
And hopefully if someone questions it, I won't screw up the explanation too badly.
Or my long story will cause them to change the subject. ;)

32 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

As someone severely allergic to most flowers I guess my pet peeve is also events where there are a lot of flowers. 

Same here, and perfumes! 
Can we just agree to stay 6 feet apart forever from most people?

Lilies are the worst. Beautiful but so strong smelling! Understandable why they used them at funerals and wakes.

Roses are okay for me.

[small voice] I wouldn't mind being invited to a color-themed wedding.
My wedding was ad hoc with church-going men donating dress pants and jacket to my ex. They did not match. Chekhovian mismatch. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

26 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Because English doesn't have a noticable plural for "you", European immigrants made their own version: yous or youse (as in youse guys). Well, that's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

I was once "outed" as a New Yorker when I lived in NC because I said wawder.  I've got a big white mug on the kitchen counter on which I wrote Cawfee (saw it once online and loved it).

My family is all from Western PA. My Uncle was "Dwan" (Don) and my cousin was "Dwan" Ann (Dawn Ann). They had expressions like "Red up your room" and "Throw mama from the train a kiss". They all moved out to Seattle a few years after my parents did but the accents stayed.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

I grew up in Ozone Park Queens too.  Got married and moved to Long Island.  Whenever I go out of state, everyone knows where I’m from by the N.Y. Accent.  I remember the Beatles also, watching with my friends on a small t.v.  Were you ever at Forest Park and Victory Field?  Sooo long ago.  I never lost my accent. Lol

My high school graduation was in Forest Park!  Jamaica High School. Class of 72. 

I was talking to someone, and was told that every so often when I talk, I have a "tone".  In other words, "copping an attitude".   I have never really noticed it, and would love to stop doing that, but have no clue how to make that change.  I can't hear myself when I talk.

I have also noticed something similar every so often when I post.  I type something thinking it is going to land one way, and it totally lands in a way that wasn't intended.

I know I am socially awkward, but still it is a quirk that I have that really annoys me.

• Like 2

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.