Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

6 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My niece lives out what she calls her "best life" on FB.  It bears little to no resemblance to her real life.  We (close family members) don't out her - in that we don't comment on her obviously exaggerated (or outright false) posts but honestly why make up crap when you have family among your FB friends who know perfectly well that you're LYING?

My peeve is the people on FB who are always posting those "be kind" memes and who are not kind at all in real life. 

I have a co-worker like that -- her FB is an endless stream of "be kind and true to your heart" memes while at work she has a solid, deserved reputation as the office snitch and gossip. One time she snitched that I said that the store across the street had turned into a Frederick's of Hollywood. Which it had. I got called into the office for a talk about how people "might be offended" hearing that. 

It's like ... take your own advice.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

2 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Interesting.  Vinegar is used for a million things.  Not only can we consume it, it cures athletes feet.  Who would of thought.

Along with baking soda, white vinegar can be used to clear out slow drains.  Much better to use than something like Drano.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

9 hours ago, ABay said:

Ants. Freaking tiny ants. I can't tell where they're coming from and don't have the energy to clean out everything. They aren't in the sink or near the cat food, they seem to be coming in from an inside wall. GAH! I hate them!!!

I am plagued with ants also.  My daughter came up with the idea of spraying them with Windex.  Kills them instantly and makes it easy to clean up.  I am not a Buddhist.

• Like 4

I sprayed the counter and the floor around the cabinet where I saw them. That was shortly before I posted this morning and I haven't seen any more since then. Fingers crossed they are gone.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ABay said:

Ants. Freaking tiny ants. I can't tell where they're coming from and don't have the energy to clean out everything. They aren't in the sink or near the cat food, they seem to be coming in from an inside wall. GAH! I hate them!!!

Can I suggest a solution? (I have tiny ants at my house too....). You will need to figure out where they are coming from (follow the train back to wherever they are entering the house) and douse that area with bleach. They are most likely coming in looking for water, but they follow each other based on "markers" laid down by the previous scout ants, so if you break their ability to follow they will lose any impetus to move forward or into any given space. Works for me anyways.

4 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Along with baking soda, white vinegar can be used to clear out slow drains.  Much better to use than something like Drano.

Actually that did not work at all for me (tried several times) - googling the problem actually led me to use a bathroom plunger on the kitchen sink drain which worked perfectly!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

4 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Actually that did not work at all for me (tried several times) - googling the problem actually led me to use a bathroom plunger on the kitchen sink drain which worked perfectly!

Maybe it depends on the makeup of the clog?  My slow drain issues are with the bathroom sink.  

May I recommend the Drain Weasel? I tried Draino and vinegar & baking soda but nothing worked well. I picked this up on a whim at Home Depot and OMG, the amount of hair that came out. Be aware that it will smell terrible. I almost barfed. Wear gloves and have a plastic bag ready to go.

http://www.flexisnake.com/

Edited by theredhead77
  • Useful 2

41 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Drain Weasel?

I debated buying one of those but wondered if it can be reused.  Can you clean the gunk off and use it more than once?  I know they aren’t expensive, but I am cheap.

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I debated buying one of those but wondered if it can be reused.  Can you clean the gunk off and use it more than once?  I know they aren’t expensive, but I am cheap.

You might be able to if there isn't much but it's so gross just toss it and use a refill. I think the initial unit comes with a couple. Life's too short to try to pull slimy smelly drain gunk off a disposable brush 

• Useful 1

I got something very similar to Drain Weasel from Amazon. There were 2 or 3 in the package. Does work and yes, barf worthy. Toss it and use another...  not that expensive...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, isalicat said:

Can I suggest a solution? (I have tiny ants at my house too....). You will need to figure out where they are coming from (follow the train back to wherever they are entering the house) and douse that area with bleach. They are most likely coming in looking for water, but they follow each other based on "markers" laid down by the previous scout ants, so if you break their ability to follow they will lose any impetus to move forward or into any given space. Works for me anyways.

I've started using a bathroom plunger on my showier clogs instead of Drano, etc., & have found it works great. I've found that the old fashioned red rubber ones work a lot better than the the ones with the smaller hole.

• Useful 2

Carpenter bees! Last summer the HOA maintenance crew patched up a bunch of carpenter bee holes after spraying something to kill the eggs and larvae. I guess it didn't work because they are trying to bore out of the patched holes. We need bees, all bees. I don't want them do die, just go elsewhere.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2021 at 7:13 AM, ABay said:

Ants. Freaking tiny ants. I can't tell where they're coming from

I hate those tiny ants that are beamed in from outer space!  I get them occasionally on my kitchen counter or, worse, in Riley's bowl of food.  Regular ants, you just follow the trail to their entry point and thwart them there.  It's annoying to get rid of the ones already inside, but it's a one and done.  These alien ants, though, there is no trail.  Such a pain!

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I hate those tiny ants that are beamed in from outer space!  I get them occasionally on my kitchen counter or, worse, in Riley's bowl of food.  Regular ants, you just follow the trail to their entry point and thwart them there.  It's annoying to get rid of the ones already inside, but it's a one and done.  These alien ants, though, there is no trail.  Such a pain!

This is why I'm glad I live in a condo, and not on a lower floor.  I used to get TONS of them when I lived in a house.  When I was in high school, I didn't realize I had an open package of candy and lo and behold, ANTS STARTED CRAWLING IN MY ROOM!  My parents were mad at me, of course (but I wasn't grounded or anything).  However, we've had issues with birds on our balcony.  I think I've seen a few mating.

13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If you even see one ant it is probably a scout. They bring back all their little friends. We get them in our hummingbird feeders every summer. My husband has a spray that is not harmful to other animals and It works in one application.

The tiny ants were already here when we bought our house. I battled them for a couple months and then called a pest control service. These ants return when it gets really hot so I have  pest control return (pest control also helps get rid of our silver fish and spider crickets). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

The tiny ants were already here when we bought our house. I battled them for a couple months and then called a pest control service. These ants return when it gets really hot so I have  pest control return (pest control also helps get rid of our silver fish and spider crickets). 

That reminds me to schedule my annual pest control service, so thank you! I had to bring one in a couple of years ago because we had a termite swarm - so gross! 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 1

Loud obnoxious neighbors and other individuals on early weekend mornings.

In this case, I was being really quite watering my plants, when an obnoxious asshole stopped his car without pulling over on the other side of the street and yelled across the street to me grilling me about why I hadn't been walking.  First of all, he was practically interrogating me over it, like I owed him details.  I didn't owe him shit.  Secondly, there is/was this thing called Covid that has been going on for the past year, I have stayed away from people as much as possible for the past year.  What an asshole.

I like it as quiet as possible and I don't like to disturb people, but this jerk wouldn't let up, and it was only 7:45AM, and he was yelling.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3
  • Surprise 3

On 6/4/2021 at 7:33 PM, meep.meep said:

I am plagued with ants also.  My daughter came up with the idea of spraying them with Windex.  Kills them instantly and makes it easy to clean up.  I am not a Buddhist.

I read ants HATE black pepper.  Never tried it yet tho.  I had ants once from a paper plate with maple syrup on it in the garbage.  My son tracked them from the utility room where there was a water connection coming from outside.  Now, I’m careful.

I guess everyone has some kind of noise from a neighbor?  I hate noise.  Out of the six houses I’ve had thru the years, there was a dog barking constantly, very loud air conditioning unit near my bedroom, loud t.v.s and radios at night, slamming doors, etc, etc.  Next time, if there is a next time,I’ll live in the woods.  My daughter, who is just like me, bought a house far away from the others.  Good move from the beginning.  Live and learn.  Condos are attached, so you are stuck, unfortunately.  We downsized when we moved back to New York from Florida for just a year and a half.  Too hot for me.  I rather have cold.  A condo was it.  The bedroom walls are attached, so I hear the guy next door doing everything.  Screwing his girlfriend.  I’m not jealous, mind you.  I had enough.  Besides, I probably can’t even lift up my legs anymore.  Back issues, hahaha.  Husband doesn’t give a shit either.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

43 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

I guess everyone has some kind of noise from a neighbor?  I hate noise.  Out of the six houses I’ve had thru the years, there was a dog barking constantly, very loud air conditioning unit near my bedroom, loud t.v.s and radios at night, slamming doors, etc, etc.  Next time, if there is a next time,I’ll live in the woods.  My daughter, who is just like me, bought a house far away from the others.  Good move from the beginning.  Live and learn.  Condos are attached, so you are stuck, unfortunately.  We downsized when we moved back to New York from Florida for just a year and a half.  Too hot for me.  I rather have cold.  A condo was it.  The bedroom walls are attached, so I hear the guy next door doing everything.  Screwing his girlfriend.  I’m not jealous, mind you.  I had enough.  Besides, I probably can’t even lift up my legs anymore.  Back issues, hahaha.  Husband doesn’t give a shit either.

Good GAWD!  I have a 2 1/2 year old going through his terrible twos.  Combine that with his expressively delayed issue, it's tantrums all the time.  I hope other people on my floor are okay with it.  We live in a building with few children, so people aren't necessarily used to this.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

When you just did your hair and are about to go out, and it starts raining. 

I love it. Rain makes my wavy hair really nice and curly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Good GAWD!  I have a 2 1/2 year old going through his terrible twos.  Combine that with his expressively delayed issue, it's tantrums all the time.  I hope other people on my floor are okay with it.  We live in a building with few children, so people aren't necessarily used to this.

One of my neighbors around the corner from me has a little one who I think is around 2 or 3 years old - I saw him running back and forth around the common area about two weeks ago.  Last week I was out on one of my walks and I encountered him and his family coming from the opposite direction so when he spotted me he yelled “HI!” several times.   I said hello when we passed then he had to yell “BYE!” several times.  So cute. 😊

• Like 6
  • Laugh 2

47 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I guess if nobody complained yet, I think you are safe.  Most here probably had kids, so understand.  Terrible twos can’t help it.  Neither can you.😀

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Sprinkle black pepper.  They hate black pepper, so I’ve heard.

Little or big black spiders that come from the vents on the ceiling or up the drains.  My son in law told me to buy “sticky strips” at Walmart.  Put on strip against the wall in every room, preferably under a window.  They gravitate to them and don’t come off.  “Eliminator Insect and Spider traps”.  2 in a package Red and black cardboard things.  You’d be surprised how many spiders we have catches that would be walking around the house.

• Sad 2

57 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

I guess if nobody complained yet, I think you are safe.  Most here probably had kids, so understand.  Terrible twos can’t help it.  Neither can you.😀

Most of my friends tell me three is worse.  That's why they're called threenagers/threeagers.  I'm just taking that as a preview for things I should expect around age 10/11.  

27 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Most of my friends tell me three is worse.  That's why they're called threenagers/threeagers.  I'm just taking that as a preview for things I should expect around age 10/11.  

That’s just the beginning.  Friends, parties, clothes, they want to go out and have a smoothie, sleep at someone’s house, etc.  Driving and the list goes on.  Each stage is no joke, but they are worth it.  Two and a half are adorable tho.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Most of my friends tell me three is worse.  That's why they're called threenagers/threeagers.

I've never heard that term (I associate with an almost entirely child-free pack, but I've long heard of "terrible twos", yet never "threenagers", so figured it was a new addition to the vernacular).  I did a quick internet search and found articles back to 2015.  Huh. 

• Like 1

HOT weather (90s) in Wisconsin with no rain in weeks. I'm out there dragging a hose with sprinkler around every couple of hours to water the new landscaping I put in last fall. Irony is, my sister-in-law in south Texas says they are going stir-crazy trapped indoors from days and days of RAIN down there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

My son never had a tantrum in his life...maybe he knew without being told that there was no way screaming and crying was going to get him anywhere with me or his papa. Just a suggestion: try ignoring the meltdown or putting the kid into his/her own room alone when it starts as a firm signal that its not going to result in any feedback of any kind. I do find small children that scream and cry for attention especially annoying as its like one of the dogs that bark and bark and the owner just keeps saying "stop, Fluffy" with no result - duh, that is what the dog wants, is your attention. Don't let your kid train you, train your kid!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

My latest pet-peeve is cancel-culture and the “woke” masses online. And I’m all for holding people accountable for their actions, but some of these virtue-signalers are seriously out of control with their vitriol. 

Another humor forum I follow I happened to crack a dumb joke with an accompanying meme((I suppose some folks thought it was vaguely sexist, which wasn’t even my intention))...I thought it’d be harmlessly snicker-worthy and didn’t think it would enrage anyone, but cut to a few days later and I’ve got multiple messages/comments telling me to kill myself, variations of what a horrible person I am, how I deserve to lose everything, I need to be “cancelled,” etc...so now I’m quite literally feeling attacked and am just praying that I haven’t been doxxed for a bad joke and that I’m not going to walk into work with my boss holding a screenshot of this mess.
I even thought about requesting the site’s moderator to have the post removed, but part of me would rather just let the furor there die down and not bring any further attention to myself than necessary since the only one who has my contact details is the moderator. 

It’s just a horrible feeling to think that there are people out there itching to ruin other people’s livelihoods over such misunderstandings. 

• Sad 11

9 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

My latest pet-peeve is cancel-culture and the “woke” masses online. And I’m all for holding people accountable for their actions, but some of these virtue-signalers are seriously out of control with their vitriol. 

Another humor forum I follow I happened to crack a dumb joke with an accompanying meme((I suppose some folks thought it was vaguely sexist, which wasn’t even my intention))...I thought it’d be harmlessly snicker-worthy and didn’t think it would enrage anyone, but cut to a few days later and I’ve got multiple messages/comments telling me to kill myself, variations of what a horrible person I am, how I deserve to lose everything, I need to be “cancelled,” etc...so now I’m quite literally feeling attacked and am just praying that I haven’t been doxxed for a bad joke and that I’m not going to walk into work with my boss holding a screenshot of this mess.
I even thought about requesting the site’s moderator to have the post removed, but part of me would rather just let the furor there die down and not bring any further attention to myself than necessary since the only one who has my contact details is the moderator. 

It’s just a horrible feeling to think that there are people out there itching to ruin other people’s livelihoods over such misunderstandings. 

I'm so sorry SUN-BUN. *hug*

The whole point of being socially aware of things like sexism and racism is to look out for others and put a stop to hate. It should come from a place of love. Whether it's in the name of wokeness or not, if you jump to be hateful, you're hateful. 

• Like 7

The person I was talking about above isn't even a neighbor.  He shows up at a woman's residence a street or so away and walks with her somewhere around 4:30am.  They walk for a long time, and I have walked and seen them in passing towards the end of their walk, but that was as far as it went.

The strange thing is that this guy had no consideration for others.  No one should be yelling around at 7:45am outside on a weekend.  Certainly not on a Sunday morning when so many people like to sleep late. 

Plus this jackass wouldn't accept any answer I gave.  He was like a petulant "but, why" child.   You know, you give your child an answer, and they don't like the answer you give and they annoy you with the "but, whys"?   And then you finally get so annoyed that you say, "because I said so". 

4 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

IMO, you can blame anti-bullying campaigns for that.  Many people have become so hypersensitive that they look for any and every reason to be offended.   So much so, that they are being exactly what they hate.

I have a long history of posting in these forums about how I was horribly verbally and more so physically bullied through my k-12 years to a point where I was an anxiety ridden mess.  I know what it is like to be bullied, threatened, harassed, and talked down to.  I sure as shit do, but the way to help those individuals is to help build them up without tearing other people down.

I don't know where it is that you are posting, but if that place is so poorly moderated that a moderator hasn't stepped in and taken care of the situation all on his or her own and started banning people for that type of behavior then you are better off without them.  Their loss, not yours.

Having a thick skin is a good thing, but I am beginning to wonder if children in some cases now adults are being taught to react and more often than not overreact to everything that they disagree with, to be proactive.  

In the era in which we live it is like walking on eggshells.  You never know what is going to set another person off.

Some of the happiest and healthiest people I know are people who don't let anything bother them.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4

@icemiser69:  I agree.  I’ve been pushed off diversity/equity forums and social media groups just for voicing an opinion that is different from the majority there.  Like language/linguistic challenges not being addressed and how language is very important for inclusion.  I’ve been accused of posting links to articles under paywalls (okay, fair enough), even if I summarize and include a quote.  I’ve been accused of “centring,” (whatever that means.  I think it means being to focused on being anecdotal or being too self-centred?) yadda, yadda...well, I come from a community where many people have a language disadvantage.  That’s one of the reasons they live in segregated communities - you can spend several weeks in some Toronto suburbs not having to speak a single word of English.  And it’s not just lower income, new immigrants.  Older people who came decades ago can do that too.  Including those who are middle income.  Anyway, they only pretend to acknowledge my views.  And then they turn against me.  Very frustrating. 

• Like 3

Funny this topic coming up today - I just had a very unpleasant interaction with someone on FB because they posted a lengthy list of unsubstantiated claims about residential schools in Canada.  Which is a huge and extremely horrible ongoing story here right now.  Anyway many of the claims are, sadly, no doubt true.  Some were very obviously ridiculous and anyone with a modicum of common sense would realize that.   However pointing this out, apparently, is denying victims the opportunity to "speak their truth".   Being skeptical of outlandish claims apparently is revictimization.   

So my peeve of the day is: people who post fake news - however well intentioned.  It's still fake even if your heart is in the right place.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 5

On 6/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, RealHousewife said:

When you just did your hair and are about to go out, and it starts raining. 

And on the other side of the coin, when you somehow manage to do the perfect messy bun on the first try, but you’re not even going anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

12 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

And on the other side of the coin, when you somehow manage to do the perfect messy bun on the first try, but you’re not even going anywhere.

Story of my life! I can only get the perfect messy bun when I am out of the shower right before bed.

• Like 3

My pet pet peeve is when that one movie you hate is on TV which coincidentally last three hours long with commercials, and so for the next three hours you have to force yourself to remember not to change it to that channel until it’s over. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

My pet pet peeve is when that one movie you hate is on TV which coincidentally last three hours long with commercials, and so for the next three hours you have to force yourself to remember not to change it to that channel until it’s over. 

Or don’t turn the TV on/keep Netflix running for the next 3?

• Laugh 2

OK, a relative of mine was having a milestone birthday so I decided to give them a ride on a unique venue in their locale ( something along the lines of cable cars in San Francisco). So, credit card at the ready, I called up the reservations folks to book a time/spot for my relative- and they told me that they they do NOT take credit cards over the phone but that I would have to go to their 'secure' website and punch in ALL that (including security code) myself! ARRGGH!! I mean, they're lucky that said venue survived over a year of a severe worldwide tourist drought so shouldn't they be willing to make that tiny effort to make things more convenient that would help make THEM monies? Since I don't want to put my credit card info online like that, I wound up having to chuck that and sent a gift basket instead! BOO!!!!

• Like 3

From a PCI compliance standpoint, having you enter it on the site, which is presumably encrypted and sending it directly to the processor, is more secure than you reading the number outloud over the phone to a human who then keys it in. That extra human having access to your info is considered a risk.

• Like 17
  • Useful 2

3 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

From a PCI compliance standpoint, having you enter it on the site, which is presumably encrypted and sending it directly to the processor, is more secure than you reading the number outloud over the phone to a human who then keys it in. That extra human having access to your info is considered a risk.

I agree.  Said better than I could.  If at all possible I never give my number to a human.

• Like 1

Also, some credit-card companies (mine is one) have virtual cards you can use. You download their app, and then when you don't want to input your actual number, you launch the app and they'll issue you a unique card number that's only good for that single transaction, or that single vendor. So no one sees your real card number, but the transaction goes through and appears on your statement as an ordinary purchase.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

For things like Amazon, I'll buy gift cards at the grocery store and just enter those numbers.  Amazon isn't getting any of my credit card numbers!  Which is why I laugh when I get the robocalls from "Amazon" asking if I really did make that purchase and charge my VISA for $499.99, and to call them if I didn't.  Peeve?  I got that robocall three times yesterday, from three different numbers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

Our company has major SOPs for credit cards taken over the phone. People are notorious for writing down the info (against SOP) then entering it into an order later and not disposing of the paper (down a shredder or placed into a secure paper box like Shred-It) properly.

For anyone with concerns about website security, especially when it comes to small businesses, you can always make sure you are looking at a secure website via the URL bar.

While I prefer to transact online, I'm really not picky when it comes to giving out my CC over the phone if I initiated the call. I have fraud protection and more than one card. 

image.png.c5412608f8417a0063f256309495e3c0.png

• Like 5

On 6/7/2021 at 12:59 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

"speak their truth"

Now that^ is a pet peeve.

Truth is that which is the case.  It belongs to everyone.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Also, some credit-card companies (mine is one) have virtual cards you can use. You download their app, and then when you don't want to input your actual number, you launch the app and they'll issue you a unique card number that's only good for that single transaction, or that single vendor.

At my bank the virtual number is only good for a month.  It comes in handy if you're ordering a subscription for something (like a magazine) and the company tells you that they will automatically rebill you when the subscription is up.  Most people forget this until the fee shows up a year later on their credit card bill for renewing the subscription.   If you pay for the original subscription with a virtual card, it will no longer be valid by the time the subscription runs out and they can't renew you for nuttin'.  In fact, you will get sad emails that say you need to give them a different credit card since the one you used is no longer valid.  Sucks to be them.

• Like 6

My pet peeve is pet owners who walk their untrained dogs off leash on the beach and assume it's my problem if I don't want a friendly animal jumping on me. 
I've come to terms with that inevitability in life-- 
except when the dogs are afraid of all 108 lbs., 5'1" of me,and start charging at me, barking, and I have to wonder if they are going to bite my bare ankles.
And then the owners say things like: "It's because you are standing there. They don't usually do that."
And the owners have not trained the dogs to come, sit, or heel, yet they are off leash on a beach where that is technically a $500 fine, but never enforced.
And if I express genuine fear of getting bitten because the owner has no control and the dog is still coming at me barking, it triggers an angry response from the owners.

I'm sure some of you are dog owners and have "dealt" with people like me.
Is there something I should be doing differently? Am I obligated to buy dog treats to toss to them? Because I don't think that's going to happen.

• Like 10

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.