Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

36 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I have, too, although it can be a rabbit hole.  I have been on a friend's page, then looked at one of THEIR friends pages because they look familiar, then something there catches my eye and leads me to someone else's page and before you know it I'm thinking,"Oh, they went to Ireland on vacation.  That looks like a nice hotel.  Wait a minute, who the hell are these people?"

I've done that a little. My sister loves doing it. I think the folks unhappy with Facebook probably are the ones with a *lot* of "friends" and are trying to keep up with all the gazillion posts. I know some people who have 500 friends. One person has 1,000. One time I accepted a friend request from a high school friend of my sister. Yikes! Each day she posted several recipes. I clicked on whichever thing quietly unfriends people (I bet she never noticed). 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

55 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've done that a little. My sister loves doing it. I think the folks unhappy with Facebook probably are the ones with a *lot* of "friends" and are trying to keep up with all the gazillion posts. I know some people who have 500 friends. One person has 1,000. One time I accepted a friend request from a high school friend of my sister. Yikes! Each day she posted several recipes. I clicked on whichever thing quietly unfriends people (I bet she never noticed). 

There’s also some stuff you can do if you tap/click on the 3-dot icon by the post. I have a cousin I don’t want to unfriend because I want to hear about family stuff, but omg I don’t need 15 shares a day from her favorite inspirational sites!  If you “hide” certain posts enough, Facebook seems to learn, at least for a while, to show you less of them. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

There’s also some stuff you can do if you tap/click on the 3-dot icon by the post. I have a cousin I don’t want to unfriend because I want to hear about family stuff, but omg I don’t need 15 shares a day from her favorite inspirational sites!  If you “hide” certain posts enough, Facebook seems to learn, at least for a while, to show you less of them. 

Hoo boy...I've done this too. One of my 'friends" posts several religious things each day. She's a nice person so I clicked on that "hide everything from so and so". If I don't want to go that far, I click on "snooze so and so for 30 days". In the meantime, once a week I check their FB sites to see if anything new and/or funny is being posted.

• Like 7

Ususally when ads pop up on FB I can see how they relate, however vaguely, to something I may have searched but today I am getting ad after ad for genealogy related stuff. I guess it could be totally random.  So today's peeve: should I be more peeved at random FB ads or at FB ads that clearly demonstrate 'they' have been stalking me?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

30 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Ususally when ads pop up on FB I can see how they relate, however vaguely, to something I may have searched but today I am getting ad after ad for genealogy related stuff. I guess it could be totally random.  So today's peeve: should I be more peeved at random FB ads or at FB ads that clearly demonstrate 'they' have been stalking me?

This past winter I was discussing something (can't remember what) with my sister in emails. Later on that day I had ads popping up on Facebook related to that subject. It's kinda spooooky (as Christopher Walken likes to say).

• Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Peeve of the day, I ordered a tin (28oz) of Sweety Peppers from Amazon. They arrived today in a plastic/tyvo(?) bag, no padding whatsoever...nothing just can in bag. Can is dented in several places, top and bottom don't seem to bulge so I guess it is safe to eat. Sure glad I didn't order the glass jar of these peppers!! I've had bad luck lately ordering things in glass. Couldn't they have wrapped it in bubble wrap or cardboard?? I don't get the laziness. Fortunately I recently found these little peppers locally so won't have to order online again. 

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Peeve of the day, I ordered a tin (28oz) of Sweety Peppers from Amazon. They arrived today in a plastic/tyvo(?) bag, no padding whatsoever...nothing just can in bag. Can is dented in several places, top and bottom don't seem to bulge so I guess it is safe to eat. Sure glad I didn't order the glass jar of these peppers!! I've had bad luck lately ordering things in glass. Couldn't they have wrapped it in bubble wrap or cardboard?? I don't get the laziness. Fortunately I recently found these little peppers locally so won't have to order online again. 

Given what Amazon does to its workers, I don't think laziness is a thing that exists at Amazon.  Working people so hard that corners get cut, now that I would believe.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Peeve of the day, I ordered a tin (28oz) of Sweety Peppers from Amazon. They arrived today in a plastic/tyvo(?) bag, no padding whatsoever...nothing just can in bag. Can is dented in several places, top and bottom don't seem to bulge so I guess it is safe to eat. Sure glad I didn't order the glass jar of these peppers!! I've had bad luck lately ordering things in glass. Couldn't they have wrapped it in bubble wrap or cardboard?? 

I recently ordered 2 jars of lingonberry sauce. They came wrapped tightly in bubble wrap. It was hard getting them out. No breakage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

It's not employee laziness. There's actual computer software that dictate how things are packaged, type of wrapping and box used. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I recently ordered 2 jars of lingonberry sauce. They came wrapped tightly in bubble wrap. It was hard getting them out. No breakage.

Yes usually items from Amazon come wrapped carefully and well protected this item was not!

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

It's not employee laziness. There's actual computer software that dictate how things are packaged, type of wrapping and box used. 

Well this was a fail!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Aside from the inconsistency of leaving packages in the mailroom instead of delivering to my door (I live in an apartment high rise), I've hardly had any issues. And it also depends if it was something you purchased from a third-party seller or from Amazon. I know I've had issues with the former sometimes.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

On 5/27/2021 at 10:31 AM, theatremouse said:

I mean, yes, but I'm not allowed to say that to clients.

Well, twice anyway, lol.

• Laugh 3

On 5/28/2021 at 1:56 PM, Bridget said:

From one redhead to another: I am with you 100% about any sad animal stuff.

I don’t care that it’s “just pretend” and that the the dogs “are acting.” Nope. Not for me. Not ever. 

🐾❤️🐾❤️

3rd redhead:  "Uh huh".

On 5/28/2021 at 5:51 PM, peacheslatour said:

Oh, that just reminded me of why I will never watch Dumbo again.

I'm 61 yrs old, and have never seen Bambi.  

Sue me.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Well this was a fail!

I do not disagree with you at all. We have a similar distribution center and the technology that powers all of it is fascinating (to me). 

I got my 2nd Covid vaccine yesterday so yay me - but my peeve is why do people have to insist on telling you all the possible side effects you might experience?  I can read.  I know what potentially could happen, I really don't need to hear about what happened to Aunt Mary or your neighbour's best friend's mailman.  What will be will be.  Me worrying about the worst case scenarios isn't going to help - why would anyone think this is a good idea?

• Like 5

On 5/31/2021 at 4:49 PM, Angeltoes said:

I have, too, although it can be a rabbit hole.  I have been on a friend's page, then looked at one of THEIR friends pages because they look familiar, then something there catches my eye and leads me to someone else's page and before you know it I'm thinking,"Oh, they went to Ireland on vacation.  That looks like a nice hotel.  Wait a minute, who the hell are these people?"

I have had this happen a few times and end up on someone's page and then as I was being nosy and scrolling, accidentally hit the "like" button and then immediately unlike it, but yea they still get a notification on it. So embarrassing!

• Surprise 1

It's been awhile, but I have to vent...

It's 'you're' not 'your' when you mean to say "you are".

giphy.gif

• Like 6
  • Laugh 5

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's 'you're' not 'your' when you mean to say "you are".

I always have to resist the temptation to correct someone when they make this, and similar, errors on FB.  I know I will NOT be popular if I do that.  But I really, really want to!

• Like 8
  • Laugh 1

Just now, WinnieWinkle said:

I always have to resist the temptation to correct someone when they make this, and similar, errors on FB.  I know I will NOT be popular if I do that.  But I really, really want to!

I can and do correct friends who make this EGREGIOUS error on Facebook, but alas, can't do it here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can and do correct friends who make this EGREGIOUS error on Facebook, but alas, can't do it here.

On another message board I used to belong to (now gone to the great message board in the sky) I once, I admit very snarkily, asked a fellow poster if they were channeling their inner e e cummings because they went out of their way IMO to never capitalize anything.  It did not go over well.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 10

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I’ve had to unfollow people who talk too much about “embroiderying” things.  NO, you are going to do some embroidery, planning to embroider, or are embroidering something.  I have written horrible snarky replies (where there was no chance of accidentally posting it), but that non-word bothers me so much more than your/you’re or there/their/they’re.

• Like 3

In the same vein, I get super annoyed when people used "text speech"in non text situations (not here, fortunately!). So in another forum I am on one person continually uses "u" for "you", "r" for "are", etc. etc. This was within a very long stream of a conversation where the replies were quite detailed, so anyone taking the trouble to post a response certainly had the time to spell out a three letter word, right? Maybe its because I rarely text (only in response to a text on my phone) but even when I do, I make the effort to spell out words as they are actually spelled so as not to perpetuate this new abomination in written communication.

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Maybe its because I rarely text (only in response to a text on my phone) but even when I do, I make the effort to spell out words as they are actually spelled so as not to perpetuate this new abomination in written communication.

I refuse to communicate with people who type in Bingo - B4, CU....

• Like 14

3 hours ago, isalicat said:

I get super annoyed when people used "text speech"in non text situations

Hell, I don't even use "text speech" in text messages...

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Hell, I don't even use "text speech" in text messages...

Same. It just feels weird and wrong when I do it. 

• Like 8

My electronic devices and my hardwood floors aren't getting along.

In the war they are currently waging, the floors are winning.

The Kindle I dropped a few weeks ago.  Screen down.  The laptop flung itself onto the floor (and did some gymnastics) when I was in a entirely different room today. 

Today was an expensive day.

• Sad 11

My pet peeve today (and every day because these companies are evil) is MLM sellers hawking shit constantly. No I do not want to buy your skin care. No I do not want to try your diet plan. No I do not want your yoni egg/wand. No I do not want to invest in your crypto currency class. 

The thing that spurred me on this rant is I got an invite to a Facebook Live "master class" on "wealth codes." The by-line was "break out of the matrix and quit your mindless day job so you can create your own schedule and be in blissful abundance and wealth." Which has MLM written all over it.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2

19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I still don’t know how to navigate on Facebook, and none of my kids will show me.  To boot, I see Facebook changed around some things, so now I am totally lost.  I’m just on in case somebody from school or my job is looking for me.  None yet .. maybe they are dead .. I don’t know.  Plus, if I look someone up, I’m afraid they will know it’s me being nosey?  Can they see me?

• Like 1

Why does the phrase “body fat” exist (in commercials and in life)? Where else would the fat be?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9

39 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why does the phrase “body fat” exist (in commercials and in life)? Where else would the fat be?

In food?  I guess they're trying to distinguish the difference between fat, muscle, etc...?  

My pet peeve:  The Ontario vaccine booking site is a NIGHTMARE.  No wonder people from some communities (elderly, people from non-English speaking communities) have lower vaccination rates.  Pharmacies are so much easier, as are hospital-run clinics (though the hospital clinic I used for my first dose is now redirecting to the province.  WHY????!!!!!).  I'll be eligible for my second dose at the end of the month (Ontario and the rest of Canada are working on a delayed second dose schedule.  At one point, it was 16 weeks (!!!), so my second dose was originally schedule for the end of July.  Now I can possibly get mine before Canada Day, but that clinic has yet to contact me.  I have some backup - I registered for the wait list at one nearby pharmacy and am waiting for second dose wait list registration at another chain.  I hate Costco, so I'm avoiding that at all cost).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My pet peeve today (and every day because these companies are evil) is MLM sellers hawking shit constantly. No I do not want to buy your skin care. No I do not want to try your diet plan. No I do not want your yoni egg/wand. No I do not want to invest in your crypto currency class. 

The thing that spurred me on this rant is I got an invite to a Facebook Live "master class" on "wealth codes." The by-line was "break out of the matrix and quit your mindless day job so you can create your own schedule and be in blissful abundance and wealth." Which has MLM written all over it.

I got that beat, one of my FB friends is hawking a 'take care of your pelvic floor' class, there are different levels you can sign up for, all via Zoom, but they start at $49.99/month up to over $100/month. Her post are "How often do you masterbate?" and a pic of a cave that simulates a woman's vulva pinpointing the clitoris.  Look, I'm no pearl-clutcher and I am not offended or disgusted by any of it, it's just what I consider too personal to share on a public forum.  Private group or not. 

1 hour ago, Hangin Out said:

I still don’t know how to navigate on Facebook, and none of my kids will show me.  To boot, I see Facebook changed around some things, so now I am totally lost.  I’m just on in case somebody from school or my job is looking for me.  None yet .. maybe they are dead .. I don’t know.  Plus, if I look someone up, I’m afraid they will know it’s me being nosey?  Can they see me?

No one can see that you've looked them up, thank god. Let's just say I am very much a "FB investigator" and use it to check up on ex's, ex-friends, former coworkers, people in the news, etc. 

I'm sorry your kids won't help you, do you have any friends that can show you how it works? I hate saying "it's really not hard" because it can be to someone who is unfamiliar, but you will get the hang of it. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

That would make sense in a certain context, I suppose--like in some kind of presentation of nutrition and exercise (eg, “I’m trying to eliminate fat in my diet” vs “I’m trying to eliminate body fat”). But I mean in conversations or commercials specifically about weight loss products or techniques—like “This pill made Griselda lose 430 pounds of body fat.”

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

4 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I'm sorry your kids won't help you, do you have any friends that can show you how it works? I hate saying "it's really not hard" because it can be to someone who is unfamiliar, but you will get the hang of it.

Yes I know .. if I really want one of the kids will help, but it’s always something with me .. my I pad, my phone, our new smart TVs.  I just hate to bother them as they have their own problems.  I think my seven yr old grandson can help me .. he knows everything, the smarty pants, lol.  All my friends are of my age .. stupid too.  Thanks for the advice tho.  Maybe I’ll try again. 😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I got that beat, one of my FB friends is hawking a 'take care of your pelvic floor' class, there are different levels you can sign up for, all via Zoom, but they start at $49.99/month up to over $100/month. Her post are "How often do you masterbate?" and a pic of a cave that simulates a woman's vulva pinpointing the clitoris.  Look, I'm no pearl-clutcher and I am not offended or disgusted by any of it, it's just what I consider too personal to share on a public forum.  Private group or not. 

No one can see that you've looked them up, thank god. Let's just say I am very much a "FB investigator" and use it to check up on ex's, ex-friends, former coworkers, people in the news, etc. 

I worked for a very big company in the City, and was surprised not one of the many people I knew aren’t on Facebook.  We were all about the same age, so maybe they weren’t interested in going on for some reason.

• Like 1

"9:00 am in the morning."  As opposed to what?  9:00 am in the afternoon?  I don't think it works that way.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 6

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

"9:00 am in the morning."  As opposed to what?  9:00 am in the afternoon?  I don't think it works that way.

I hear people utter this frequently.  By people, I mean my husband.  🤦‍♀️

• Laugh 7

Mr. P914 hates it if vinegar is in anything I make (usually salad dressings). Yet, somehow, he can happily use white vinegar to clean his coffee maker. 

• Laugh 1

On 6/2/2021 at 4:16 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I correct egregious errors for a living, but I cannot be bothered with (though I am often bothered by) them on people’s FB posts (unless someone is being an asshole and/or wants to pay me $36/hour. Also, I just made up that number; I actually have no idea what my hourly pay is)!

On 5/28/2021 at 7:52 PM, Hangin Out said:

I went on Facebook once to see what the big deal was.  All I saw were people dressed up, or on vacation.  The comments were all the same, for instance “you look beautiful” .. “stunning” .. “so gorgeous”, blah, blah.  They all looked like crap .. hahaha.  What bullshit.  It’s all competition, to me anyhow.  Do I feel bad that I didn’t go to the Bahamas for two weeks?  Hell no.  I go to Disney every year in the car.image.png.8b19657e7a5486659cb176f33061f7c9.png 

P.s.  I have no idea how that thing up there came on.  A Unicorn?

I assume you know that it all depends on who you’re looking at on Facebook? I have no issue with people being dressed up or comments complimenting them or vacation photos (after all, looking “like crap” is in the eye of the beholder), but those things are not all that’s there. The people I know talk about books, movies, TV, politics (a blessing and a curse), pets, kids, causes, etc. Also, random observations and funny things we have seen that day, stuff we’ve made, old pictures we’ve found, invitations, events, birthday wishes, interaction among people who would otherwise not have reconnected or who are far apart from each other, and general stuff we think about. 

Yes, there is a ton of nonsense on FB, obviously. But that all depends on who and what you’re connected to. 

My peeve may be people that assume that FB is somehow not a valid method of communication/community. To decide it’s all nonsense and garbage for superficial pursuits is just silly—that’s like summarily condemning the telephone because of spam calls. In fact, I communicate with my 90-year-old grandma on Facebook, haha! It’s 2021; social media is a thing people use to connect. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My peeve may be people that assume that FB is somehow not a valid method of communication/community. To decide it’s all nonsense and garbage for superficial pursuits is just silly—that’s like summarily condemning the telephone because of spam calls. In fact, I communicate with my 90-year-old grandma on Facebook, haha! It’s 2021; social media is a thing people use to connect. 

Thank you for saying this. Facebook is how I stay in touch and communicate with all my relatives in India; reconnected with friends I grew up with from my childhood neighborhood, and friends I'd lost touched with. I'm not on it daily, 24/7, but I'm also in several groups--book, shows, breast cancer support (since Lolly's Lock's had to shut down due to lack of funds, but the women I met and got to know and become friends with are the bravest strongest women I know, I connected on that platform).

That said, if people hate it, that's fine. But I mostly remained quiet because I felt like I was some narcissistic self-absorbed person for having a Facebook account, when I read (not just here), the generalization that people have it so they can rack up as many likes as they can.

• Like 8

FB haters - that will be my peeve of the day.  My husband hates FB even though he rarely uses the account he has.  The hate isn't based on what he himself has ever personally experienced, it's based on whatever news article he's just listened to that is bashing FB.  Sometimes with good reason I totally concede, but even so it drives me crazy when he starts ranting about FB when he knows perfectly well that our kids and I as well as many of our friends and family have FB accounts and use it to some degree or another.   

You get out of FB what you want to get out of FB and when it stops being a place I want to visit to share family news or to play games or to visit with 'friends' I've made through various FB groups I'll stop going there.  Until then I wish he'd stop letting the media decide what he thinks about something he never uses!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 5

My peeve about Facebook is the fake, my life is so wonderful, my husband is the best, posts.

Do they not realize most people who would be reading these posts actually know them?

🤷🏼‍♀️🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

My peeve about Facebook is the fake, my life is so wonderful, my husband is the best, posts.

Do they not realize most people who would be reading these posts actually know them?

My niece lives out what she calls her "best life" on FB.  It bears little to no resemblance to her real life.  We (close family members) don't out her - in that we don't comment on her obviously exaggerated (or outright false) posts but honestly why make up crap when you have family among your FB friends who know perfectly well that you're LYING?

• Like 5
  • Surprise 1

But a lot of people think their husband is the best husband. Maybe the person doesn’t have the best of everything 24/7—but it doesn’t mean that something that makes them happy enough to post about it is fake. I suspect many people are full of crap, but many are not. (And maybe some of the full-of-crappers are just trying to feel positive about their possibly unsatisfying lives in whatever way they can?)

Of course there is going to be a subset of people who engage in “look at me“ posturing and bragging on Facebook (and anywhere online, including here, probably), and some “who says that?” moments—just like there are in workplaces, social circles, email, family events, over the phone, the entire actual world. It’s not like that kind of thing is a rule of having a Facebook account. Or that that’s why everyone has a FB account. It depends who you know, I guess.

And believe me, there are more than enough people who are perfectly fine sharing their “worst life” (and, somehow, it can feel as awkward and cringe-worthy as it would in person)!

Oh, also—Facebook can be a great and free resource for small businesses, especially over the last shit-show of a year (oy, my poor BF took a giant leap of faith to buy a floundering niche store, of which he became the official owner on…January 1, 2020). And it has helped me find homes for 10 shelter cats! 

It’s not that Facebook isn’t full of peeveworthy things (because it is—like anything that involves great numbers of people), but its very existence isn’t, to me, one of those things.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

On the other hand the people who endlessly complain are worse IMO.  It's exhausting sometimes - to the point where at least two of my relatives are on ignore - because they seem to use FB as a personal diary with entry after entry talking about the latest "woe is my life" issue.  After awhile you realize the last thing they want is advice or offers of help, they just need to vent I guess. 

Edited by WinnieWinkle

Ants. Freaking tiny ants. I can't tell where they're coming from and don't have the energy to clean out everything. They aren't in the sink or near the cat food, they seem to be coming in from an inside wall. GAH! I hate them!!!

• Like 6
  • Surprise 1

14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Mr. P914 hates it if vinegar is in anything I make (usually salad dressings). Yet, somehow, he can happily use white vinegar to clean his coffee maker. 

Interesting.  Vinegar is used for a million things.  Not only can we consume it, it cures athletes feet.  Who would of thought.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

Peeve of this week - When a person replies to a text but does not even respond to what I said and instead starts ranting about something going on in their life. I have a friend who we might go a day or so without texting and the moment I send a text, he will not even acknowledge what I said and just talk about whatever he wants to. He's always been this way to some degree but it has gotten way worse and I just get so irritated lately when he does this. 

ETA: I have had to bring this up to him before and every time he apologizes and says he will get better about it. But it never lasts long.

Edited by MissFeatherbottom
  • Sad 3

I mop our floors with diluted vinegar, mainly because of the cats, whom I can’t keep from walking into the kitchen if that’s where I am (though they do stay away if I’m using the scary, scary steam mop). I don’t want them to get some soapy chemical on their hands and feet and then lick them.

OH! I should add that vinegar can make a cat sick on its own, but if it’s adequately diluted, you should have no problem.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.