Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

What I've learned about returned items recently is that most of them go into the actual trash, so I'm trying to stop ordering from places that engage in those practices. I'm also not sitting around waiting for UPS when I--for once--have someplace to go tomorrow now that my vaccine is in full effect.

The bag that the soap bottle was shipped in inside the box was broken through, so it couldn't have been resold at any rate. It just irritated the shit out of me that I had to fight with the automatic return system twice and then by the time I got to a person, they were still trying to get the soap. JEFF BEZOS HAS A MEGAYACHT WITH A REGULAR-SIZED YACHT WITHIN IT. FOH with me returning $19 soap! I worked at Amazon for one hellish week and know for a fact they don't actually give a damn about a bottle of soap or a tube of glue. When items fall on the floor ALL THE TIME under the pod bots, they go in the garbage.

But just so y'all know, Dr. Bronner's is the best and lasts forever. I dropped my pump bottle (into which I transfer the soap) in the shower; it broke and I lost so much soap and almost cried.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Since we talk about package frustrations here often, I have another story for the annals. I'm teetering on the edge on any given day, so after two attempts to get an automatic refund for a $19 bottle of soap didn't work without Amazon demanding I return it, I took to chatting with a human (well, after I had to pass the gatekeeping chat bot) and proceeded to lose the few marbles I have left.

I know I need to stop shopping at Amazon, but...they have the lowest price on the cat litter I buy and when I get it on autoshipping, I get a discount. I also get a few other household things on autoship for a discount. We truly can't escape Amazon as it is embedded in everything now, but I'm not buying soap from them anymore--well, it was actually a third-party shipper.

Here's my fruit loops exchange because this week has been A WEEK, and Amazon asking me to return a $19 soap pushed me past my breaking point. Some of the messages post kind of out of order so it seems like I'm still talking about something they already answered.

Screenshot_20210521-133353_copy_1080x2220.png.384e420260cddd83fbfb2944b81f81eb.png

Screenshot_20210521-133401_copy_1080x2220.png.fa1eccb2b900d2b9f60ff71ac30912ea.png

Screenshot_20210521-133416_copy_1080x2220.png.6ad34e3917c5bcec96cd00ec46333f42.png

Screenshot_20210521-133615_copy_1080x2220.png.1a991ec52eb7ae299065c0db2b43c2fd.png

I'm assuming you haven't worked in customer service or even a distributor/online retailer based on you taking your anger out on someone who has absolutely no control over what happened in your situation. I've worked in customer service practically my whole working career, so maybe it's because I know what it's like to be spoken to that way, that I have sympathy on customer service reps who are just trying to help me when the tables are turned and I am the customer. Just an FYI, each company has their own policy (my company is more annoying on returns but its out of my control but I sure have customers who make it seem like I make the rules!) and Amazon is probably the easiest because you just need to repackage the return and leave it outside for UPS to pick up the next day. They bring a label and pick up the return and leave a receipt/ticket that it was picked up. It's not even a huge inconvenience to do that, but I am not in your shoes. Just my two cents..

• Like 12
  • Useful 1

I'm banned from Twitter (worth it!). My peeve is that someone keeps trying to log in to my Twitter, but since I am banned, I can't get into my account to lock it down or reset the password. I've reached out to support and the only response is that my account is banned and won't be reversed. The lack of reading comprehension these bots display is really aggravating.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

I'm assuming you haven't worked in customer service or even a distributor/online retailer based on you taking your anger out on someone who has absolutely no control over what happened in your situation. I've worked in customer service practically my whole working career, so maybe it's because I know what it's like to be spoken to that way, that I have sympathy on customer service reps who are just trying to help me when the tables are turned and I am the customer. Just an FYI, each company has their own policy (my company is more annoying on returns but its out of my control but I sure have customers who make it seem like I make the rules!) and Amazon is probably the easiest because you just need to repackage the return and leave it outside for UPS to pick up the next day. They bring a label and pick up the return and leave a receipt/ticket that it was picked up. It's not even a huge inconvenience to do that, but I am not in your shoes. Just my two cents..

I have in fact worked in direct customer service, as recently as early 2020. I didn't "take out my anger" on them; I explained the issue after I'd been unable to resolve it myself. It's never the customer's responsibility to return a product that was sent by the company in error.

When we actually looked more closely at the bottle--I gave it to my boyfriend to try--the cap was cracked and broken and the inner seal had been punctured, so yeah, they wouldn't have been able to resell it anyway.

I should've looked at it more closely before I asked for the refund but I guess I know for next time. I just saw the label and knew it was wrong.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, RealHousewife said:

Different terms clear up different diets. Luckily my family, friends and coworkers do care what I feel comfortable putting into my body. The only reason vegans or vegetarians bring up what we eat is because we often have to. It's not about being too precious for this world or putting anyone else down. I appreciate anyone who make an effort to eat less meat, but I never push my lifestyle on anyone. 

Same here! But there are many times when it is necessary to mention it--and those times are often to avoid causing other people extra trouble.

• Like 2

Today's peeve:  stop telling me you don't like cottage cheese in lasagna and that it's not authentic. I Do Not Care.  That's how my Mom made it and that's how her Mom made it and i already feel guilty enough because I use the no boil noodles (shh don't tell my Nana) .  And further why do people care so much about stuff like this?  If I'm not expecting you to cook it OR eat it what's your problem?

• Like 14

Today's pet peeve: I hate when people say something bitchy/catty and follow it up with "sorry not sorry." The person who does this usually thinks what he or she is saying is adorable. It's usually not adorable at all.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve:  stop telling me you don't like cottage cheese in lasagna and that it's not authentic. I Do Not Care.  That's how my Mom made it and that's how her Mom made it and i already feel guilty enough because I use the no boil noodles (shh don't tell my Nana) .  And further why do people care so much about stuff like this?  If I'm not expecting you to cook it OR eat it what's your problem?

You think that's bad? Try the 'fresh bean' /'canned bean' / 'soaked dry bean' debate re homemade chili that's been brewing in my corner of the world for decades!  And even that doesn't cover which region makes the best chili! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Fair enough. Although I've never in my life seen or heard of Cottage Cheese Lasanga before. So I'd be more puzzled if presented with it than upset. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Today's pet peeve: I hate when people say something bitchy/catty and follow it up with "sorry not sorry." The person who does this usually thinks what he or she is saying is adorable. It's usually not adorable at all.

How about the Internet thing "Fixed it".  

I hate that.  If you disagree, just disagree.  Don't mock me in the process. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Oh I think you meant adorkable. Sorry not sorry. 

• Laugh 9

3 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Fair enough. Although I've never in my life seen or heard of Cottage Cheese Lasanga before. So I'd be more puzzled if presented with it than upset. 

My mother made it like that, too.

9 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

My mother made it like that, too.

Mine too.  The recipe also included American cheese. That was one of the recipe cards I didn’t make a point to save when I was cleaning out her things. 

35 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Same here! But there are many times when it is necessary to mention it--and those times are often to avoid causing other people extra trouble.

Exactly. I'd feel terrible if someone put in a lot of effort to make a dish I wouldn't eat. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

That was one of the recipe cards I didn’t make a point to save when I was cleaning out her things. 

When I was going through an index card file of recipes from my Mom's kitchen I was amazed at how many recipes called for canned cream of mushroom soup.   I know this is now considered at best lazy cooking, at worst seriously unhealthy! but dammit I remember some of those casseroles as being absolutely delicious!  Didn't keep the recipes though I must admit.

• Laugh 1

5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Since we talk about package frustrations here often, I have another story for the annals. I'm teetering on the edge on any given day, so after two attempts to get an automatic refund for a $19 bottle of soap didn't work without Amazon demanding I return it, I took to chatting with a human (well, after I had to pass the gatekeeping chat bot) and proceeded to lose the few marbles I have left.

I know I need to stop shopping at Amazon, but...they have the lowest price on the cat litter I buy and when I get it on autoshipping, I get a discount. I also get a few other household things on autoship for a discount. We truly can't escape Amazon as it is embedded in everything now, but I'm not buying soap from them anymore--well, it was actually a third-party shipper.

Here's my fruit loops exchange because this week has been A WEEK, and Amazon asking me to return a $19 soap pushed me past my breaking point. Some of the messages post kind of out of order so it seems like I'm still talking about something they already answered.

Screenshot_20210521-133353_copy_1080x2220.png.384e420260cddd83fbfb2944b81f81eb.png

Screenshot_20210521-133401_copy_1080x2220.png.fa1eccb2b900d2b9f60ff71ac30912ea.png

Screenshot_20210521-133416_copy_1080x2220.png.6ad34e3917c5bcec96cd00ec46333f42.png

Screenshot_20210521-133615_copy_1080x2220.png.1a991ec52eb7ae299065c0db2b43c2fd.png

I’ve found that when Amazon makes an error, they’ve been very good about not asking for a return. When there’s a 3rd party involved, maybe not so good.  But to be fair, if I’m reading your transcript correctly, it looks like they asked if it would be possible for you to return the item, but before you could even respond, they said you didn’t need to return it. Is that not a reasonable resolution?

• Like 4

My mom made lasagna with cottage cheese too (and spaghetti pie). I don’t think that ricotta was widely available in the grocery stores in the small Midwestern city that I grew up in in the 1980s. Cottage cheese, on the other hand, was everywhere and in so many things (including jello salads).

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

26 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Although I've never in my life seen or heard of Cottage Cheese Lasanga before.

I've heard of it, but never had it.  I haven't had cottage cheese since I was a kid, and I don't think I ever had it in a warm dish. But if someone handed me lasagna that had been made with it, I'd try it.

I'm not a huge fan of traditional lasagna, as I'm not big on tomato-based sauces and I don't generally like ground beef other than as a cheeseburger.  I love white sauce lasagna with sausage and spinach, kale, or chard, though.  And now I want some, but I don't think I have the noodles.

21 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

When I was going through an index card file of recipes from my Mom's kitchen I was amazed at how many recipes called for canned cream of mushroom soup. 

Yeah, sometimes I think everything made in the '70s involved canned cream of something - mushroom, chicken, broccoli, celery.

• Laugh 1

32 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

My mom made lasagna with cottage cheese too (and spaghetti pie). I don’t think that ricotta was widely available in the grocery stores in the small Midwestern city that I grew up in in the 1980s. Cottage cheese, on the other hand, was everywhere and in so many things (including jello salads).

Oh that's interesting.  I wonder if that's the reason its the way my family has always made it  - mid 20th century small town (very small town)  Nova Scotia probably didn't have grocery stores stocking anything as exotic as ricotta cheese!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

What I've learned about returned items recently is that most of them go into the actual trash, so I'm trying to stop ordering from places that engage in those practices. I'm also not sitting around waiting for UPS when I--for once--have someplace to go tomorrow now that my vaccine is in full effect.

The bag that the soap bottle was shipped in inside the box was broken through, so it couldn't have been resold at any rate. It just irritated the shit out of me that I had to fight with the automatic return system twice and then by the time I got to a person, they were still trying to get the soap. JEFF BEZOS HAS A MEGAYACHT WITH A REGULAR-SIZED YACHT WITHIN IT. FOH with me returning $19 soap! I worked at Amazon for one hellish week and know for a fact they don't actually give a damn about a bottle of soap or a tube of glue. When items fall on the floor ALL THE TIME under the pod bots, they go in the garbage.

But just so y'all know, Dr. Bronner's is the best and lasts forever. I dropped my pump bottle (into which I transfer the soap) in the shower; it broke and I lost so much soap and almost cried.

I am not necessarily a fan of many of Amazon’s tactics, but for me, they have had the best customer service when it comes to almost any other outlets. They seem to be the easiest to deal with online. That being said, they have the money to provide good customer service as they have a huge share of the market. So when their customer service goes so awry, that is not good. 
I haven’t had a problem when when I had an issue with a delivery (damaged, not showing up, etc.). Part of the reason is because they are so huge, they can absorb losses. 
I haven’t had an issue with returning an item myself, but the writing is in the clouds.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve found that when Amazon makes an error, they’ve been very good about not asking for a return. When there’s a 3rd party involved, maybe not so good.  But to be fair, if I’m reading your transcript correctly, it looks like they asked if it would be possible for you to return the item, but before you could even respond, they said you didn’t need to return it. Is that not a reasonable resolution?

I mentioned originally that the comments didn't post in order. I was also bounced out of the chat initially before I could fully state my issue because I guess I took too long to type it. And again, this was my third attempt to resolve the issue.

I didn't realize *my* peeves weren't the acceptable kind to discuss here. You don't have to report me; I'll take a self-imposed break.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2

I've had a couple problems with Amazon items  broken in shipment. Through the Chat app and direct conversation have gotten refunds with the direction to donate item or discard, since they were both broken and spilled all over, not even a choice...

Recently tried an order from Boxed.com. Very badly packed, 2 bottles of pizza sauce wrapped in a cardboard sheaf, broken over everything in the box...very poor packing... Some of their prices are good but I would never order anything liquid from them again. Package very bad...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Exactly. I'd feel terrible if someone put in a lot of effort to make a dish I wouldn't eat. 

Sometimes I just do it if it’s just a little butter or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan or even a small amount of milk or cream. For whatever reason, sometimes people don’t get the “no animal products” part of being vegan. I’m not going to eat actual meat or other super-obvious things, but if they thought they were accommodating my “weird” diet and did try, I can probably just deal with it enough to not make anyone feel bad. I don’t like it, but sometimes it’s just the easiest way.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Sometimes I just do it if it’s just a little butter or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan or even a small amount of milk or cream. For whatever reason, sometimes people don’t get the “no animal products” part of being vegan. I’m not going to eat actual meat or other super-obvious things, but if they thought they were accommodating my “weird” diet and did try, I can probably just deal with it enough to not make anyone feel bad. I don’t like it, but sometimes it’s just the easiest way.

Same! Honestly, this is one reason I'm not a strict vegan. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I mentioned originally that the comments didn't post in order. I was also bounced out of the chat initially before I could fully state my issue because I guess I took too long to type it. And again, this was my third attempt to resolve the issue.

I didn't realize *my* peeves weren't the acceptable kind to discuss here. You don't have to report me; I'll take a self-imposed break.

It was a sincere question and I almost didn't post it because I was afraid it would come off wrong (as in, "your peeve doesn't matter" when I was trying to say "tell me more"), but I honestly thought I was missing something.  Obviously I was.  Not sure why any of this would rise to the level of anyone reporting anyone.  Peace?

• Like 4

On 5/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, bilgistic said:

I've discussed at length how much I hate our upstairs neighbors. Tonight, they were jumping/stomping around so much that keepsakes fell off a shelf in our kitchen. They are out of control. The toddler runs (stomps) around squealing until past 1:00am. We've talked to the leasing office time after time. We've left the neighbors notes. We've talked to them. Nothing we do helps. It's 11:00 here and it's going on now--stomping/jumping/squealing. Put the kid to bed, for fuck's sake! I refuse to call the police on them because I'm not going to be that white lady (they are Latino), but what can I do, besides bang on the ceiling with a broom, which quiets them down for approximately 2.7 minutes?

Move.  I’ve had to move because of barking dogs in the driveway next to ours.  I know it’s a hassle, plus you don’t know what you will get too.  It always something, and I can’t stand noise.  People are not considerate either.  Whether you live in a house or an apartment, it’s the same.

• Like 6

Trying to make this as brief as possible...how do I politely remind the guy who cuts my lawn to do the narrow strip between my house and his uncle's fence? I've already mentioned it once.

Longer version, I hired my neighbor's nephew, who does landscaping and general yard stuff, to prep my garden beds and everything was good. I relayed his offer to cut the grass every 2 weeks for a certain sum, which he has done twice, cleared the cuttings, used a strimmer on the edges of the beds. Great! Except he's cut the front yard and nothing else.

There is no grass to speak of in the backyard but it is now a jungle thanks to an invasive weed from the neighbor on the other side because he didn't mow back there at all. There is also a very narrow strip of grass along the side of the house. It's wide enough to take a mower but it's also uneven and it would certainly be fine to use a strimmer instead.

I've mentioned both of these to him and he said he'd take of it but nothing has happened. It's awkward not only because he's my neighbor's nephew but also because I'm not paying himself, I'm conveying cash from my landlord. I hate confrontation so I'll use my brand new hedge clippers to cut down the weed, but I can't do the side bit.

I sort of understand not doing the back because it really is dead space, but the side of the house? Why would that not be included?

So my peeve is having to deal with other people, and those people not keeping their word.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ABay said:

Trying to make this as brief as possible...how do I politely remind the guy who cuts my lawn to do the narrow strip between my house and his uncle's fence? I've already mentioned it once.

Longer version, I hired my neighbor's nephew, who does landscaping and general yard stuff, to prep my garden beds and everything was good. I relayed his offer to cut the grass every 2 weeks for a certain sum, which he has done twice, cleared the cuttings, used a strimmer on the edges of the beds. Great! Except he's cut the front yard and nothing else.

There is no grass to speak of in the backyard but it is now a jungle thanks to an invasive weed from the neighbor on the other side because he didn't mow back there at all. There is also a very narrow strip of grass along the side of the house. It's wide enough to take a mower but it's also uneven and it would certainly be fine to use a strimmer instead.

I've mentioned both of these to him and he said he'd take of it but nothing has happened. It's awkward not only because he's my neighbor's nephew but also because I'm not paying himself, I'm conveying cash from my landlord. I hate confrontation so I'll use my brand new hedge clippers to cut down the weed, but I can't do the side bit.

I sort of understand not doing the back because it really is dead space, but the side of the house? Why would that not be included?

So my peeve is having to deal with other people, and those people not keeping their word.

These landscapers do the minimum.  Me or my husband have to stand by the door to make sure they blow the whole patio.  If we don’t stand there, they leave the leaves behind our swing every time.  You have to stand there like a cop and direct whoever is doing the job.  Very annoying.  The bad part is .. you don’t know when they are coming exactly.

• Like 3

My landscapers do a good job, but somehow always show up when I’m on a conference call. If I had only one a week they would still show up in the middle of it. Also my office window looks out onto the back and side yard, so I’m usually startled when one of them walks by. I will be forever happy that they built my patio last year though; the crew did any amazing job.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 5

My pet peeve every time we have a long week-end: the stores are closed for one day, one day and yet people are stocking up as if war is about to be declared.  It's an interesting insight into human nature I guess but it's also just plain weird.  Especially now that we are still in lockdown and it's not like anyone is hosting parties or heading out for a camping week-end.  Because of course we're all following the rules.  Right???

• Like 7

6 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My pet peeve every time we have a long week-end: the stores are closed for one day, one day and yet people are stocking up as if war is about to be declared.  It's an interesting insight into human nature I guess but it's also just plain weird.  Especially now that we are still in lockdown and it's not like anyone is hosting parties or heading out for a camping week-end.  Because of course we're all following the rules.  Right???

Everyone is in stores buying because there’s no place else to go.  We still don’t go to restaurants, or the kids, etc.  it’s an out for us like we went somewhere.  Meanwhile, our freezer is full.  How much do two people need?  Now, we are on the ice cream kick with sugar cones.  Yikes.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

Everyone is in stores buying because there’s no place else to go.  We still don’t go to restaurants, or the kids, etc.  it’s an out for us like we went somewhere.

I know people who, ever since the pandemic happened. have had their groceries delivered.  If I didn't have groceries to do and prescriptions to pick up I'd never go anywhere!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I know people who, ever since the pandemic happened. have had their groceries delivered.  If I didn't have groceries to do and prescriptions to pick up I'd never go anywhere!

Me too.  CVS is our second home.  Everyday, I get the text “your prescription is ready”, haha.  Sucks to be old.  I even got my two Moderna shots there.  My husband knows all the pharmacists by name.

• Like 2

CVS will mail prescriptions, bless them. If I never had to enter any store again, I wouldn't miss it.

• Like 5

I am basically a hermit, have been for years. The pandemic has made it terrifying for me to even go out at all. I literally have panic attacks before I have to go out to grocery shop or go pick up my mail at the PO. I live in the boonies and grocery delivery is not a thing available.

I have medical issues that have kept me from getting the vax. I see my pcp in July to see if it is safe for me. Maybe I will  feel safer after I can have the vaccination...

• Sad 7

8 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Me too.  CVS is our second home.  Everyday, I get the text “your prescription is ready”, haha.  Sucks to be old.  I even got my two Moderna shots there.  My husband knows all the pharmacists by name.

6 hours ago, ABay said:

CVS will mail prescriptions, bless them. If I never had to enter any store again, I wouldn't miss it.

Doesn't CVS near you deliver prescriptions? Ours does.

• Like 2

Yes, that's what I was saying--they will mail them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I am basically a hermit, have been for years. The pandemic has made it terrifying for me to even go out at all. I literally have panic attacks before I have to go out to grocery shop or go pick up my mail at the PO. I live in the boonies and grocery delivery is not a thing available.

I have medical issues that have kept me from getting the vax. I see my pcp in July to see if it is safe for me. Maybe I will  feel safer after I can have the vaccination...

Surely you have someone to help you?  No delivery?  Grandchildren?  It’s hard when you have medical issues.  Thank goodness we all have the t.v. and these threads to keep us fairly sane.  Even if you get at least one vax, it would be a big help.  I wish all the best for you.  Things will get better. 😀

• Like 6

Ok .. it’s May and the fights start in my house over the air conditioning.  For two days now, I’ve had a hot face.  The temp in my house was 80.  I like air .. husband always cold.  I switched to air and put it on 73.  Five minutes pass and like clockwork, he comes running out and complains he’s cold.  I told him to sleep outside in the garden.  I also screamed if he mentions the air one more time I’m calling the divorce lawyer.  Same crap every year.  Now he’s sitting with a big blanket on.  This is a 6 foot guy who jumped out of planes, but is afraid of a little air on his face.

• Laugh 7

To Mrs. Magoo next door riding around on your lawnmower running over who knows what while you drive the damn thing at a too high rate of speed to keep it under control,  stop screaming as your mower makes all sorts of loud noises.  Shut the damn thing off and calm your ass down.  The noise will stop when the mower is off.   You ran over something you shouldn't have, because you weren't paying attention to what the hell you were doing.  Buy a push mower and use that and get some damn exercise in the process.   You clearly can't control yourself when riding around on a riding mower. 

• Laugh 10

17 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

To Mrs. Magoo next door riding around on your lawnmower running over who knows what while you drive the damn thing at a too high rate of speed to keep it under control,  stop screaming as your mower makes all sorts of loud noises.  Shut the damn thing off and calm your ass down.  The noise will stop when the mower is off.   You ran over something you shouldn't have, because you weren't paying attention to what the hell you were doing.  Buy a push mower and use that and get some damn exercise in the process.   You clearly can't control yourself when riding around on a riding mower. 

I had a hard time picking a reaction button, between "surprised" and "funny". Picked funny.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 8:14 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Some people think it's bastardization/appropriation.  A woman I've known since we were kids got really catty with me a few months back regarding Chinese almond cookies.  She said they contain lard as it's the "traditional" ingredient and after asking her for the recipe, I asked whether I could substitute the lard with butter or vegan "butter" on 1:1 ratio.  She got upset that I would even ask that.  It's fine to note that lard is the traditional ingredient, but what if one doesn't like lard (I'm weird about pork/pig-related products unless it's prosciutto) or is dairy-free?  I'm the kind of person known to use a lot of alternatives in food.  I recently made so many changes to dan dan mien (it's very Middle Eastern inspired, subbing peanut butter/sesame paste with almond butter and hummus) that I had to call it Cin Cin (my Chinese name) mien just to avoid criticism that I was "appropriating."  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Some people think it's bastardization/appropriation.  A woman I've known since we were kids got really catty with me a few months back regarding Chinese almond cookies.  She said they contain lard as it's the "traditional" ingredient and after asking her for the recipe, I asked whether I could substitute the lard with butter or vegan "butter" on 1:1 ratio.  She got upset that I would even ask that.  It's fine to note that lard is the traditional ingredient, but what if one doesn't like lard (I'm weird about pork/pig-related products unless it's prosciutto) or is dairy-free?  I'm the kind of person known to use a lot of alternatives in food.  I recently made so many changes to dan dan mien (it's very Middle Eastern inspired, subbing peanut butter/sesame paste with almond butter and hummus) that I had to call it Cin Cin (my Chinese name) mien just to avoid criticism that I was "appropriating."  

It’s not “appropriating” to prepare and eat your food the way you like it or the way dietary restrictions dictate. It’s a little different if one is cooking for/owns a restaurant or food product business ant touts their dishes as “authentic “, I guess. However, if you are cooking in your own home, do it the way you like!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Adiba said:

It’s not “appropriating” to prepare and eat your food the way you like it or the way dietary restrictions dictate. It’s a little different if one is cooking for/owns a restaurant or food product business ant touts their dishes as “authentic “, I guess. However, if you are cooking in your own home, do it the way you like!

Well, if it's "authentic" in a fusion sense, then that should be fine.  And since I posted the recipe for Cin Cin mien on my blog, it just better/more PC to change the name.  I DID do the PC thing and acknowledge that it was inspired by dan dan mien (I didn't say that the Cantonese pronunciation is actually dam dam mien - porter's noodles.  Seriously, that makes zero sense.  You need utensils to eat noodles.  If I was working as a porter, why would I even want to bring chopsticks with me?  Bao makes more sense).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Maybe getting ready for the Daytona 500 next year.

• Laugh 6

3 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Ok .. it’s May and the fights start in my house over the air conditioning.  For two days now, I’ve had a hot face.  The temp in my house was 80.  I like air .. husband always cold.  I switched to air and put it on 73.  Five minutes pass and like clockwork, he comes running out and complains he’s cold.  I told him to sleep outside in the garden.  I also screamed if he mentions the air one more time I’m calling the divorce lawyer.  Same crap every year.  Now he’s sitting with a big blanket on.  This is a 6 foot guy who jumped out of planes, but is afraid of a little air on his face.

We eventually compromised at 74 degrees for ac and 70 for heat but my husband will turn it down lower.  He will always win the battle of the thermostat because he gets sick when he is too hot.  I’ve accumulated a wardrobe of down, wool, and thermal jackets to wear in the house year round AND keep three quilts around me because I can never get warm.  There are days like today when I shed my layers down to sweater and jeans and sit out in the sun to absorb the warmth!  (He took over the brightest room which is also the warmest, I’m stuck in the dark and cooler living room BUT I have the good TV!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I’ve been thinking.  Isn’t there some kind of service, being you have health problems and can’t get out, that can pick you up and take you to a store, doctors, drug stores?  I don’t know what state you are in, but here in N.Y. they have a service for this sort of thing when it’s hard for a person to get out.  If that helps.  It just feels very hard for you to navigate alone.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ABay said:

Yes, that's what I was saying--they will mail them.

By delivery I mean that someone in a car will drive to your house & deliver the prescription, like DoorDash or Postmates. I don't think my CVS mails prescriptions.

4 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

We eventually compromised at 74 degrees for ac and 70 for heat but my husband will turn it down lower.  He will always win the battle of the thermostat because he gets sick when he is too hot.  I’ve accumulated a wardrobe of down, wool, and thermal jackets to wear in the house year round AND keep three quilts around me because I can never get warm.  There are days like today when I shed my layers down to sweater and jeans and sit out in the sun to absorb the warmth!  (He took over the brightest room which is also the warmest, I’m stuck in the dark and cooler living room BUT I have the good TV!)

Haha .. I have it on 75 to shut him up.  I stay in the living room on the sofa with the big t.v., and he’s on the bed with the same big tv watching the golf.  About 9 pm, we switch.  I go to sleep, and he watches until about 2 am, then comes in the bed or falls asleep on the sofa.  But, tonight, we watch 90 Day Fiance together.  That’s about the only show we have in common.

• Like 2

Another reason I'm glad to live alone - no arguing over the thermostat.  It's usually at 68 for the heat kicking in and 80 for the AC kicking in, but sometimes 70 and 78, respectively, if I'm in a mood.  I could deal with a little variation on heat (although I'd probably just grumble to put on socks and a sweater for Pete's sake), but anyone turning the air on at a cooler temp than that would really tick me off.  Thankfully, my cat doesn't complain.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Another reason I'm glad to live alone - no arguing over the thermostat.  It's usually at 68 for the heat kicking in and 80 for the AC kicking in, but sometimes 70 and 78, respectively, if I'm in a mood.  I could deal with a little variation on heat (although I'd probably just grumble to put on socks and a sweater for Pete's sake), but anyone turning the air on at a cooler temp than that would really tick me off.  Thankfully, my cat doesn't complain.

We have some of those little white radiator things and our cat likes to sleep next to them all year round. We tell him "Hey, you know that isn't on right?" He just looks at us.

• Laugh 5

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.