Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

12 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

MTV barely shows ANYTHING these days other than Ridiculousness.

It's very... ridiculous

Stale joke, I know.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

On 5/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, Hangin Out said:

Me too, for about a week now.  Now I have to type in the search bar on top every time.  Do they want us to pay to go on the threads or what?

Solution Everyone .. I couldn’t get on my shows.  Had to use the search bar.  My grandson told me to delete all my shows in my “Favorites”.  Then, put each show on your favorites one by one.  It’s back to normal and is working fine again.  I needed a kid to fix it for me.

• Useful 1

First World problem, I know, but it still peeves me.

First, I was thrilled when I was notified the pool would be open this summer.

But. Despite CDC and doctors all over saying it's safe to be mask-less when outside, the sister property who lets us use the pool, will still require us to wear a mask when on the pool deck.

So now, I'm going to have to get the most light weight mask, because I don't want any mask tan lines on my face! My other choice is that since we don't have to wear them when in the water, I'll just stay there, and sun my face that way.

I know! I know! I said, First World Problems. 

[putting on my flak helmet for any that think I'm being selfish and an idiot]

• Like 2

Civility is a must for civilization  to survive! Too bad that this seems to have been forgotten or ridiculed thanks to the abovementioned!

I'm not even that proper, but sometimes I feel like a granny among my own generation.

That reminds me. A pet peeve of mine is extremist attitudes. 

Why can't we be liberal but still appreciate civility?

Few examples:

I consider myself sex positive. I don't think people should be shamed for being sexual. I bat for LGBT. I don't think people need to wait for marriage or love to have sex. That's not good enough for some folks though. I still think we should all have standards and be safe and be respectful of our partners. That shouldn't make me part of "purity culture." 

I'm a feminist and think the female body is beautiful. I don't believe in covering head to toe. Just because I don't think women should take their tops off wherever they want doesn't mean I'm against equal rights. There are beaches for different comfort zones, and I think it should stay that way. If your biggest problem is not being able to take your top off in front of everyone, your life is beyond privileged. Feminists have campaigned for so many serious issues. I don't think going topless belongs on the same list as voting, equal pay, reproductive rights, violence against women, etc.  

As a grown woman, I will listen to raunchy music if I like the beat. I'm not trying to ban it or adult entertainment. Sorry, I don't like it when performances at family shows are raunchy, and I don't think it's cute for kids to be singing WAP. I'd be horrified if I had kids and they listened to Cardi B. 

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My brand new peeve is mangoes that go from hard to overripe in a tiny time frame. Like one day it's rock hard, the next day it's overripe and needs to be eaten ASAP.

Bananas do this too.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GaT said:

Bananas do this too.

And avocados.  But super ripe bananas = banana bread!!!

• Like 5

I don't mind getting an earworm, to be honest. But that's just the way I roll...

I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never gonna keep me down.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9

I have been looking for large storage containers for my garage and patio.  Everything I look at is described in terms of liquid capacity - “66 quart” or “128 gallon”.  I am not looking for an aquarium; I want to know if it will fit on my shelf or hold my tall bucket.  Why do I have to go to the website and then dig down to the description to find out the HxWxD measurement?  Just print the damn size in the ad.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I'm not even that proper, but sometimes I feel like a granny among my own generation.

That reminds me. A pet peeve of mine is extremist attitudes. 

Why can't we be liberal but still appreciate civility?

Few examples:

I consider myself sex positive. I don't think people should be shamed for being sexual. I bat for LGBT. I don't think people need to wait for marriage or love to have sex. That's not good enough for some folks though. I still think we should all have standards and be safe and be respectful of our partners. That shouldn't make me part of "purity culture." 

I'm a feminist and think the female body is beautiful. I don't believe in covering head to toe. Just because I don't think women should take their tops off wherever they want doesn't mean I'm against equal rights. There are beaches for different comfort zones, and I think it should stay that way. If your biggest problem is not being able to take your top off in front of everyone, your life is beyond privileged. Feminists have campaigned for so many serious issues. I don't think going topless belongs on the same list as voting, equal pay, reproductive rights, violence against women, etc.  

As a grown woman, I will listen to raunchy music if I like the beat. I'm not trying to ban it or adult entertainment. Sorry, I don't like it when performances at family shows are raunchy, and I don't think it's cute for kids to be singing WAP. I'd be horrified if I had kids and they listened to Cardi B. 

This!  I mean, if you shame people because they like underwire bras (hey, I have iddybiddies, I want some volume, dammit!) and heels, then you need to take a good look at the world and realize that there are many, many more issues to deal with.  I'd rather spend time investing in women-run businesses, making sure that they get as much funding as men AND are taken seriously (for example).  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, PRgal said:

This!  I mean, if you shame people because they like underwire bras (hey, I have iddybiddies, I want some volume, dammit!) and heels, then you need to take a good look at the world and realize that there are many, many more issues to deal with.  I'd rather spend time investing in women-run businesses, making sure that they get as much funding as men AND are taken seriously (for example).  

Preach!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Not at all! I’m the most feminine feminist you’d ever meet and totally agree with your post as well. :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Not at all! I’m the most feminine feminist you’d ever meet and totally agree with your post as well. :)

Feminism is nothing if not about choices. Be yourself and don't let false expectations weigh down on you.

• Like 7

I kind of have to lol  at the underwire bra ads.  Had a double mastectomy in 2013 after breast cancer,,,no reconstruction haven't needed or wanted a bra  since.   Life is good...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I kind of have to lol  at the underwire bra ads.  Had a double mastectomy in 2013 after breast cancer,,,no reconstruction haven't needed or wanted a bra  since.   Life is good...

So glad you survived~

• Like 8

On 5/12/2021 at 4:29 PM, BookWoman56 said:

I’ve seen a lot of people complain about FedEx, but UPS (not to be confused with USPS) is somehow always the delivery service I have problems with. In the last year, it’s been: Package just disappeared off the face of the planet while in transit, twice (2 completely different orders). Only box 1 of a 2-box item arrived (the table top without the legs and hardware isn’t going to do me much good). 

Today is doubly irritating. Package A is a couple of heavy boxes of materials for replacing my door molding upstairs. Got the “track your delivery on a live map” notification this morning. Four hours ago the live map showed the delivery truck about two streets over and six blocks away from my house. Since then, the truck has left my neighborhood entirely, gone to a small town down the road, and is only now one street over and a few blocks away. What sense does it make to have the same delivery truck go into a subdivision and deliver some stuff, leave and go 10 miles down the highway, and then return hours later to the same subdivision?

Package A arrived at the local distribution center around 5am and was loaded onto a delivery truck around 6:15am. Package B is a small box; it arrived at the local distribution center around 4am. It did not get loaded onto a delivery truck, and the most recent notification says it won’t be delivered until tomorrow. I just don’t see how this makes sense, that the package that made it to the distribution center later gets delivered today, while the one that got there later is on the delivery truck. 

Obviously the timing on the delivery of these two packages isn’t a real problem, but it does make me question their efficiency. Coupled with the other problems I have encountered with them over the past few years, they will not ever be my first choice for shipping things. I understand others may have had very different experiences. 

Ooh I feel you. Last year at the beginning of the pandemic I was waiting for the replacement for my completely dead cell phone and I really needed it. Overnight service was promised but no time of day.  I tracked that UPS driver all day long tootling around our area and would have happily driven out to meet his truck but no. He showed up at my house last delivery of the day around 6 pm. I am always on the losing end of the route schedulers for appliance delivery too. 

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

On 5/13/2021 at 2:21 PM, Kawaiiko said:

The problem is that these people do think that gas is toilet paper. And it will light a fire under their butt, figuratively and literally.

During quarantine I made toilet paper earrings that I sent to family and friends. I live in metro Atlanta and was visiting a girlfriend who was commenting on her earrings and I said “Maybe I need to make a gas can earring - TP in one ear, gas can in the other.

This panic buying of gas was just disturbing and made no sense. It wasn’t going to be a 12 month pandemic, it was a shortage for a week, which impacted a lot of people, but people putting gasoline into plastic bags - WTF?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

This panic buying of gas was just disturbing and made no sense. It wasn’t going to be a 12 month pandemic, it was a shortage for a week, which impacted a lot of people, but people putting gasoline into plastic bags - WTF?

I've been avoiding the news a lot lately except for q quick scan of the headlines so I missed hearing about this.  God people can be stupid.  Today's pet peeve: god people can be stupid.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

On 5/12/2021 at 4:40 PM, isalicat said:

My experience mirrors yours exactly. I never, ever ship out anything via UPS because almost every time something comes to me via UPS I get to watch the package wander around the USA whilst tracking it on line. I live in California and one time a package from within California via UPS went first to Pennsylvania and then to Arizona, back to the East Coast before finally making its way back to Cali. Its really unfortunate because when I lived in the mountains our UPS delivery guy was the *best*, wading through snow and mud to deliver packages no matter what - not his fault the overall system seemed to be broke.

Here is my pet peeve for the day: I work at a food pantry three days a week, and on Mondays I team with a young man to take three fairly heavy bags of groceries out to people's cars (since the Covid - before that they could come get stuff and haul it themselves). We pack one bag of non-perishable stuff (cereal, pasta, sauce, tuna...), one bag of fresh fruits and vegies, and one bag with meat/chicken/fish, eggs, butter, cheese and bread and dessert. Due to sanitary regulations we cannot take food back once a client has touched it so if people indicate they don't like this or that, or can't eat this or that we just tell them to pass it on to someone else.

Lately there are more and more people driving up and as we approach the car we get told "I can only eat organic vegetables" and/or "I don't eat fish - could you get me some steak or ground beef instead?" and/or "I need gluten free bread, not the regular kind". Jeez, people - if you are hungry enough to be coming to a food bank for free food, take what you are given, eat what you can, pass along the other stuff and be grateful! One passive aggressive type told me Monday afternoon (because I could not guarantee that the vegies were organic) "Oh, well, I guess I will just have to go without...". Yes, yes, you will.

That is just so messed up. These people are incredibly blessed to have others helping them to put food on the table for their families. Fresh produce used to be the exception. To be given fresh produce from a food pantry is just amazing and wonderful.

Back in 2005 when Katrina hit, I was volunteering for the Salvation Army to help those in need. Over 55,000 people evacuated to Metro Atlanta and for many the fact that they actually had to rely on a hand up was really hard (there were scammers and such). These people were happy that someone helped them in their hour of need.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:58 PM, PRgal said:

And I am 56 and have the opposite of iddybiddies, so underwire is a must.

• Like 2

I've discussed at length how much I hate our upstairs neighbors. Tonight, they were jumping/stomping around so much that keepsakes fell off a shelf in our kitchen. They are out of control. The toddler runs (stomps) around squealing until past 1:00am. We've talked to the leasing office time after time. We've left the neighbors notes. We've talked to them. Nothing we do helps. It's 11:00 here and it's going on now--stomping/jumping/squealing. Put the kid to bed, for fuck's sake! I refuse to call the police on them because I'm not going to be that white lady (they are Latino), but what can I do, besides bang on the ceiling with a broom, which quiets them down for approximately 2.7 minutes?

Edited by bilgistic
  • Sad 8

12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

but what can I do

Put in a request for an upstairs apt.?  Not trying to be flip, but my experience with renting apartments tells me that there is no ideal circumstance.  No matter the price point, there will always be assholes who think they are alone in the world, and any/everything they do is AOK.  We had to build a house to get peace, lol.

Maddening but realistic.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

but what can I do, besides bang on the ceiling with a broom, which quiets them down for approximately 2.7 minutes?

In all honesty the only thing you can probably do is move.  Easier said than done I know!  The last time we shared walls with someone that someone was a heavy smoker.  At first there was no problem but within a year or two the smell started coming into our place.  And it got worse from there.  I have no idea what happened but somehow whatever barrier there was between our two units got breached.  He was a nice guy but there was no way he was going to stop smoking in his own place just because it bothered us.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Put in a request for an upstairs apt.?  Not trying to be flip, but my experience with renting apartments tells me that there is no ideal circumstance.  No matter the price point, there will always be assholes who think they are alone in the world, and any/everything they do is AOK.  We had to build a house to get peace, lol.

Maddening but realistic.

We've lived in our house for over forty years. Nice and peaceful until about fifteen years ago when they built some new homes across the street. The one house directly facing us has a balcony off their kitchen. They had three large dogs. The barking wasn't too bad when they were home but whenever they left, they'd lock the dogs out on the balcony where they would bark and howl for hours. The dogs finally got old and died and they didn't replace them. He then purchased a Harley, which he did not ride. He just sat on it in the driveway for half hour to an hour and revved the engine.  Thankfully, they moved away last month

• Surprise 4

14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

We've talked to the leasing office time after time. We've left the neighbors notes. We've talked to them. Nothing we do helps.

Probably the best solution here is to just move.   On the bright side you can just leave and let the problem become someone else’s.  No worries about selling to someone who is going to be angry because now they have the upstairs noisy neighbor.

I live in a first floor condo as an owner and have been here for a while.  The unit upstairs has been a rental most of the time I’ve been here.  Most of the tenants upstairs have been okay as far as noise until this one who moved in over 5 years ago.   A few months after she moved in she started doing her laundry late at night which kept me from falling asleep.  It went on enough that I spoke to her about it which did nothing.  Long story short I was able to eventually (on the 2nd try) get the property manager to call the unit owner to get it to stop.  No problems since.  If that didn’t work I was planning to haunt the Homeowners Board until I got my peace and quiet after 10 pm.  If I was renting I would have just left.  Selling would have been more time consuming and aggravating.  

• Like 5

The neighbors have been here less than a year. This is/was my boyfriend's apartment into which I moved a year ago. He's been here several years. It's otherwise a quiet complex, and we shouldn't have to move (nor can we afford to, hence me having to move way up here) because one family won't observe quiet hours and/or control their kid.

The leasing office just says, "This will impact whether we renew their lease." Yeah, and this will impact my not paying an increase when we renew.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@bilgistic I don’t know how things work where you are regarding the legal system and noisy neighbors - one of my neighbors was having severe noise issues with their upstairs neighbors to the point that they called the police.  I witnessed one episode on an afternoon walk around my development.  The police talked to the person who called and the upstairs offender.  After that I found out second hand the behavior did not stop as there were multiple calls to property management involved that included notifying them that a police report had already been filed.  I don’t know how long this back and forth went on but eventually property management issued a “cease and desist” letter to the upstairs neighbor.  (It was around the time I emailed property management about my problem that got pretty quick action so I wonder if this other incident greased the wheels for me). As far as I know that letter did the trick but the downstairs neighbor had to keep pestering the management for that to happen.   Everyone should be allowed to peaceably live in their home and get their rest, etc.  Apart from moving pestering the management and/or calling the police are the other options obviously. 

• Like 3

First-world problem/peeve -- the air handling units in hotel rooms.  I have yet to be able to adjust one so that the temperature is bearable -- it's either too hot or too cold no matter what I do.  The digital ones are marginally less bad, but I still have issues.  And no matter which side of the bed I sleep on, or which bed if there are two, the air always blows in my face.  Always.  I hate having air blowing at my face!  In my current hotel room, I have arranged all the show pillows from both beds into sort of a pillow fort to block the air and keep it from blowing directly at me.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

First-world problem/peeve -- the air handling units in hotel rooms.  I have yet to be able to adjust one so that the temperature is bearable -- it's either too hot or too cold no matter what I do.  The digital ones are marginally less bad, but I still have issues.  And no matter which side of the bed I sleep on, or which bed if there are two, the air always blows in my face.  Always.  I hate having air blowing at my face!  In my current hotel room, I have arranged all the show pillows from both beds into sort of a pillow fort to block the air and keep it from blowing directly at me.

The last hotel room i stayed in, I ended up stuffing the corners of the laundry bag that was in the closet, into the air vent so it could divert the air down and away from my face. It actually worked pretty well. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

The last hotel room i stayed in, I ended up stuffing the corners of the laundry bag that was in the closet, into the air vent so it could divert the air down and away from my face. It actually worked pretty well. 

Good idea!  Maybe I'll try that tonight.  The pillow fort is mostly working, but it does take up half the bed, which is another peeve -- I can't stretch out like I do at home.  It's almost like sleeping in a twin bed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Good idea!  Maybe I'll try that tonight.  The pillow fort is mostly working, but it does take up half the bed, which is another peeve -- I can't stretch out like I do at home.  It's almost like sleeping in a twin bed.

We had the A/C cranked in my old office because the men were always hot. Me and the person in the next office taped paper over the vents. That worked for us.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We had the A/C cranked in my old office because the men were always hot. Me and the person in the next office taped paper over the vents. That worked for us.

I've resorted to that a time or two as well, but when you're in a hotel room you have to work with what you got!

• Like 1

When I enjoy a member's posts a lot and they disappear. I always hope they're doing okay. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 12
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

When I enjoy a member's posts a lot and they disappear. I always hope they're doing okay. 

ha ha I claimed the name Real Housewife on Slate.

• Laugh 1

Here's another one for the Phone Pitchers Groaners Hall of Infamy:

Someone called me to say that there was new 'burial insurance' being offered in my area.

I told them: I'm NOT dead, yet! Goodbye!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

I’m looking for a job at the moment.  I have a profile on LinkedIn and have been hearing from recruiters about positions they think I may be interested in.  My profile has a summary of my work history along with locations I would like to work in my state.  My peeves are recruiters who ignore the location and send me something where I’d be required to relocate (I don’t respond) or they send a note with a job title and location followed by “send me your resume and I’ll contact you”.  No, I don’t think so, tell me the details first and I’ll decide.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’m looking for a job at the moment.  I have a profile on LinkedIn and have been hearing from recruiters about positions they think I may be interested in.  My profile has a summary of my work history along with locations I would like to work in my state.  My peeves are recruiters who ignore the location and send me something where I’d be required to relocate (I don’t respond) or they send a note with a job title and location followed by “send me your resume and I’ll contact you”.  No, I don’t think so, tell me the details first and I’ll decide.  

Stick to your guns. There's a real labor shortage right now and employers are sweetening their deals for good prospects.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Stick to your guns. There's a real labor shortage right now and employers are sweetening their deals for good prospects.

Yes! I talked with a recruiter yesterday about a couple of jobs in my area, each with a different company.  The first one had a rate that I’m looking for and the second one was much lower.  I told them I’ll pass on the 2nd one, they asked why and I told them the rate was too low.  They were able to get the client to raise the rate just to get my interest.  I’m waiting back on hearing whether or not either place wants to interview me.  

• Like 6

On 5/12/2021 at 2:45 PM, theredhead77 said:

Dude. I'm trying to find a new doctor and am running into this issue. No one answers, I leave a message but one is calling me back.

Wow. So I posted this on the 12th and one of the offices I called between the 10th and the 12th just called me back this afternoon. That's over a week later. I told them sorry, I gave up on them and found another place that called me back the next day. The person got terse and hung up. I guess I made the correct decision!

• Like 3

Back on the subject of unbearably noisy neighbors. Unfortunately sometimes you just have to get other people, even law enforcement involved. Our next door neighbors (very nice sisters, renters, moved to central California from Oklahoma) thought it was necessary to "feed the birds" so they set up bird feeders with seed, which the birds loved and flocked to (totally unnecessary - there is no winter here and the birds have plenty of food naturally). This attracted rats and mice and when I asked politely if they would stop feeding the birds I got a firm "no". So when I saw four fat rats on the fence between their place and mine, I asked again and was again told that no way they were not going to feed the birds. I contacted their landlady and told her my next call would be the public health department. The bird feeders were gone within the hour.

Previously I had to deal with next door neighbors out in a rural area that were keeping fighting roosters (two of them, that would start crowing just before dawn and kept going until full dark each and every day). No response to polite requests so I contacted the sheriff as this was a noise abatement issue and the sheriff paid them a visit. Adios, roosters.

I know people are reluctant to be "that person" that makes a fuss but at this point in my life my health and sanity (which depends on a reasonable level of quiet and cleanliness) is worth escalating once a polite request has been ignored. And frankly, I don't care what ethnicity or planet of origin the offenders hail from...and I guess that is my pet peeve: contemporary society is encouraging people to be wimps in situations that have nothing to do with anything other than blatant rudeness and selfishness.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I guess that is my pet peeve: contemporary society is encouraging people to be wimps in situations that have nothing to do with anything other than blatant rudeness and selfishness.

For me it's not about society encouraging me to be wimpy and more about me being concerned that my call to the local police non emergency number for a noise complaint could end up with someone dead. Calling the health department or animal control, sure. But someone's life has to be in danger for me to call the police. If it's not 911 worthy I'm not calling.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 12

35 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

But someone's life has to be in danger for me to call the police. If it's not 911 worthy I'm not calling.

Same.  I don't want the police in my life, and I'm not going to bring them into anyone else's, either, unless it is one of the few things to which they are the appropriate solution.

• Like 9

Back on the subject of unbearably noisy neighbors. Unfortunately sometimes you just have to get other people, even law enforcement involved. Our next door neighbors (very nice sisters, renters, moved to central California from Oklahoma) thought it was necessary to "feed the birds" so they set up bird feeders with seed, which the birds loved and flocked to (totally unnecessary - there is no winter here and the birds have plenty of food naturally). This attracted rats and mice and when I asked politely if they would stop feeding the birds I got a firm "no". So when I saw four fat rats on the fence between their place and mine, I asked again and was again told that no way they were not going to feed the birds. I contacted their landlady and told her my next call would be the public health department. The bird feeders were gone within the hour.

This is why my DH and I had to take our bird feeders down. We live in the Pacific NW and we do get winters. We liked to sit on our porch in the evenings and watch the birds. We didn't even mind the squirrels getting into them. But then the rats came and that was a bridge too far. Down came the bird feeders Now we only feed hummingbirds.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I live in NYC.  We have rats all over our neighborhood.  You see them at night scurrying around. 

Then there are the loony people who have to feed pigeons and squirrels.  They throw down a pile of bread pieces and a swarm of pigeons comes down.  Right on the city street.  The squirrel fans do their feeding in the park. 

• Surprise 1

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This is why my DH and I had to take our bird feeders down. We live in the Pacific NW and we do get winters. We liked to sit on our porch in the evenings and watch the birds. We didn't even mind the squirrels getting into them. But then the rats came and that was a bridge too far. Down came the bird feeders Now we only feed hummingbirds.

Just wait until the rats find a hummingbird outfit.

• Laugh 5

13 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Just wait until the rats find a hummingbird outfit.

image.png.0bbf47fffe90f12fd0205ac25d226686.png

I could only find a rat in a bee costume.

Actually also found a dragon.

image.png

But no hummingbirds.  So the feeder should be safe from imposters.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Laugh 9

21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

When I lived in the mountains (on the flank of Mt. Shasta actually, about 4000 ft. up) we fed the birds during the winter but used hanging suet thingies (so they don't really scatter the seeds around) and only fed during the 6-7 months when there was snow on the ground. (Although my friends reported that it snowed there yesterday!). No rats, but then again I had several cats including one super hunter tom so perhaps that is the ultimate solution :)

My across-the-street neighbor fed the hummingbirds with a hanging thingy off her porch and my hunter tom used to sit on her porch railing and literally snatch the hummingbirds out of the air. He did that once or twice when we moved here to the central coast with some tiny birds (not hummingbirds) that flew by his perch on the fence. We came to call all really small birds "snack birds". (Sorry - I know some of you don't approve of cats outside eating birds. I consider most birds as stupid reptiles with feathers.)

2 minutes ago, isalicat said:

(Sorry - I know some of you don't approve of cats outside eating birds. I consider most birds as stupid reptiles with feathers.)

Come sit by me.  I don't wish death to birds but I don't like them.  I date this from a traumatic viewing of The Birds when I was far too young to be watching movies like that!  Whatever the reason to me it's easy to see the connection between birds and dinosaurs.

• Like 1

Since we talk about package frustrations here often, I have another story for the annals. I'm teetering on the edge on any given day, so after two attempts to get an automatic refund for a $19 bottle of soap didn't work without Amazon demanding I return it, I took to chatting with a human (well, after I had to pass the gatekeeping chat bot) and proceeded to lose the few marbles I have left.

I know I need to stop shopping at Amazon, but...they have the lowest price on the cat litter I buy and when I get it on autoshipping, I get a discount. I also get a few other household things on autoship for a discount. We truly can't escape Amazon as it is embedded in everything now, but I'm not buying soap from them anymore--well, it was actually a third-party shipper.

Here's my fruit loops exchange because this week has been A WEEK, and Amazon asking me to return a $19 soap pushed me past my breaking point. Some of the messages post kind of out of order so it seems like I'm still talking about something they already answered.

Screenshot_20210521-133353_copy_1080x2220.png.384e420260cddd83fbfb2944b81f81eb.png

Screenshot_20210521-133401_copy_1080x2220.png.fa1eccb2b900d2b9f60ff71ac30912ea.png

Screenshot_20210521-133416_copy_1080x2220.png.6ad34e3917c5bcec96cd00ec46333f42.png

Screenshot_20210521-133615_copy_1080x2220.png.1a991ec52eb7ae299065c0db2b43c2fd.png

• Like 2

@bilgistic They once sent me some kind of glue when I had ordered those yellow replacement parts to go into my hummingbird feeder. They wanted the glue returned. I told them I was not considering leaving my house to find a UPS to ship it back on my dime. They said no worries. They told me to leave it outside my front door on a certain day and they arranged for UPS to pick it up, package it, and mail it back while expediting what I did order to me. I felt bad for the UPS guy as he had to do all the work so I left him a gift card for some local (Jersey Mike’s) sandwich shop for his time and inconvenience. He was so happy with me that he gave me a “code” knock so that anytime he delivers I know he has come because I hear that special knock. Next time tell them you want that option. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

What I've learned about returned items recently is that most of them go into the actual trash, so I'm trying to stop ordering from places that engage in those practices. I'm also not sitting around waiting for UPS when I--for once--have someplace to go tomorrow now that my vaccine is in full effect.

The bag that the soap bottle was shipped in inside the box was broken through, so it couldn't have been resold at any rate. It just irritated the shit out of me that I had to fight with the automatic return system twice and then by the time I got to a person, they were still trying to get the soap. JEFF BEZOS HAS A MEGAYACHT WITH A REGULAR-SIZED YACHT WITHIN IT. FOH with me returning $19 soap! I worked at Amazon for one hellish week and know for a fact they don't actually give a damn about a bottle of soap or a tube of glue. When items fall on the floor ALL THE TIME under the pod bots, they go in the garbage.

But just so y'all know, Dr. Bronner's is the best and lasts forever. I dropped my pump bottle (into which I transfer the soap) in the shower; it broke and I lost so much soap and almost cried.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.