Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 6/5/2021 at 7:08 PM, RealHousewife said:

When you just did your hair and are about to go out, and it starts raining. 

And on the other side of the coin, when you somehow manage to do the perfect messy bun on the first try, but you’re not even going anywhere.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

And on the other side of the coin, when you somehow manage to do the perfect messy bun on the first try, but you’re not even going anywhere.

Story of my life! I can only get the perfect messy bun when I am out of the shower right before bed.

• Love 3

My pet pet peeve is when that one movie you hate is on TV which coincidentally last three hours long with commercials, and so for the next three hours you have to force yourself to remember not to change it to that channel until it’s over. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

My pet pet peeve is when that one movie you hate is on TV which coincidentally last three hours long with commercials, and so for the next three hours you have to force yourself to remember not to change it to that channel until it’s over. 

Or don’t turn the TV on/keep Netflix running for the next 3?

• LOL 2

OK, a relative of mine was having a milestone birthday so I decided to give them a ride on a unique venue in their locale ( something along the lines of cable cars in San Francisco). So, credit card at the ready, I called up the reservations folks to book a time/spot for my relative- and they told me that they they do NOT take credit cards over the phone but that I would have to go to their 'secure' website and punch in ALL that (including security code) myself! ARRGGH!! I mean, they're lucky that said venue survived over a year of a severe worldwide tourist drought so shouldn't they be willing to make that tiny effort to make things more convenient that would help make THEM monies? Since I don't want to put my credit card info online like that, I wound up having to chuck that and sent a gift basket instead! BOO!!!!

• Love 3

From a PCI compliance standpoint, having you enter it on the site, which is presumably encrypted and sending it directly to the processor, is more secure than you reading the number outloud over the phone to a human who then keys it in. That extra human having access to your info is considered a risk.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
3 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

From a PCI compliance standpoint, having you enter it on the site, which is presumably encrypted and sending it directly to the processor, is more secure than you reading the number outloud over the phone to a human who then keys it in. That extra human having access to your info is considered a risk.

I agree.  Said better than I could.  If at all possible I never give my number to a human.

• Love 1

Also, some credit-card companies (mine is one) have virtual cards you can use. You download their app, and then when you don't want to input your actual number, you launch the app and they'll issue you a unique card number that's only good for that single transaction, or that single vendor. So no one sees your real card number, but the transaction goes through and appears on your statement as an ordinary purchase.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

For things like Amazon, I'll buy gift cards at the grocery store and just enter those numbers.  Amazon isn't getting any of my credit card numbers!  Which is why I laugh when I get the robocalls from "Amazon" asking if I really did make that purchase and charge my VISA for $499.99, and to call them if I didn't.  Peeve?  I got that robocall three times yesterday, from three different numbers.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

Our company has major SOPs for credit cards taken over the phone. People are notorious for writing down the info (against SOP) then entering it into an order later and not disposing of the paper (down a shredder or placed into a secure paper box like Shred-It) properly.

For anyone with concerns about website security, especially when it comes to small businesses, you can always make sure you are looking at a secure website via the URL bar.

While I prefer to transact online, I'm really not picky when it comes to giving out my CC over the phone if I initiated the call. I have fraud protection and more than one card. 

image.png.c5412608f8417a0063f256309495e3c0.png

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Also, some credit-card companies (mine is one) have virtual cards you can use. You download their app, and then when you don't want to input your actual number, you launch the app and they'll issue you a unique card number that's only good for that single transaction, or that single vendor.

At my bank the virtual number is only good for a month.  It comes in handy if you're ordering a subscription for something (like a magazine) and the company tells you that they will automatically rebill you when the subscription is up.  Most people forget this until the fee shows up a year later on their credit card bill for renewing the subscription.   If you pay for the original subscription with a virtual card, it will no longer be valid by the time the subscription runs out and they can't renew you for nuttin'.  In fact, you will get sad emails that say you need to give them a different credit card since the one you used is no longer valid.  Sucks to be them.

• Love 6

My pet peeve is pet owners who walk their untrained dogs off leash on the beach and assume it's my problem if I don't want a friendly animal jumping on me. 
I've come to terms with that inevitability in life-- 
except when the dogs are afraid of all 108 lbs., 5'1" of me,and start charging at me, barking, and I have to wonder if they are going to bite my bare ankles.
And then the owners say things like: "It's because you are standing there. They don't usually do that."
And the owners have not trained the dogs to come, sit, or heel, yet they are off leash on a beach where that is technically a $500 fine, but never enforced.
And if I express genuine fear of getting bitten because the owner has no control and the dog is still coming at me barking, it triggers an angry response from the owners.

I'm sure some of you are dog owners and have "dealt" with people like me.
Is there something I should be doing differently? Am I obligated to buy dog treats to toss to them? Because I don't think that's going to happen.

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My pet peeve is pet owners who walk their untrained dogs off leash on the beach and assume it's my problem if I don't want a friendly animal jumping on me. 
except when the dogs are afraid of all 108 lbs., 5'1" of me,and start charging at me, barking, and I have to wonder if they are going to bite my bare ankles.
And then the owners say things like: "It's because you are standing there. They don't usually do that."
And the owners have not trained the dogs to come, sit, or heel, yet they are off leash on a beach where that is technically a $500 fine, but never enforced.
And if I express genuine fear of getting bitten because the owner has no control and the dog is still coming at me barking, it triggers an angry response from the owners.

Is there something I should be doing differently? Am I obligated to buy dog treats to toss to them? Because I don't think that's going to happen.

Except for at dog parks, dogs should always be leashed in public.  The dog owner is always responsible for the dog's behavior, not random passers by. (Unless, of course, random passer by walks by a dog being walked on a leash and hits either the dog or the owner, or something else ridiculous like that, but I'm assuming no contact by other person).

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And as you point out how are we supposed to know the animal is actually being friendly?  I am not afraid of dogs, I am however afraid of vicious dogs and a dog off leash running towards me barking could be vicious.  We have a lovely wooded walk near us that I avoid now because of exactly this issue.  I'm tired of being the bad guy when I ask people to leash their dog so now I just don't go there.  Which seems very unfair but I guess who said life was fair?

• Love 5

I was on a 4th date with a pretty cute, interesting guy.  We went to the beach, with his dog on a retractable leash. He extended the leash as far as it went, and half-heartedly reeled it in when the dog got too close to people, ie. actually got on their blankets and stuck his nose in their food.   The fact he thought this was okay was it for me, there was no 5th date. 

• Love 16

My walk around the neighborhood includes going through this large park that has a bunch of fields for soccer and baseball along with basketball courts and a fenced in area for the skateboarders.  So it’s a pretty popular spot for people in the area.  
In the afternoon I’ll be walking through and most times there are these 2 neighborhood idiots who like to let their dogs (one each so there are 2 here) run loose in the baseball field.  Most times I’ve been able to avoid them and not have an encounter with either of their dogs.  Sometimes though they’re leaving around the same time when I’d get to the part of the path I use to exit the park which is the same path they use to go back to their homes.  The dogs are still off leash and the owners don’t seem to be in any hurry to move things along.  So I take an alternate route to avoid them.  I know where one of these dog owners lives since his backyard borders the trail I use.  From time to time I’ll see him while his dog is running around the unfenced yard. I’m not looking for any trouble or an encounter with either of these idiots but knowing where one of them lives gives me some comfort that if there is an issue I think I’ll be able to track the guy down.  I just want to go on my walks and be done.  

• Love 5

I've never been a dog owner, but it definitely seems like folks are as delusional / irrational about their dogs as some parents are about their children.  The "my dog wouldn't do _____" theory is just, well dumb is what it is.

Yes, there are leash laws for a reason, and yes, you are obligated to follow them.  You nor your dog are special.  Strap up!

• Love 14
30 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

My walk around the neighborhood includes going through this large park that has a bunch of fields for soccer and baseball along with basketball courts and a fenced in area for the skateboarders.  So it’s a pretty popular spot for people in the area.  
In the afternoon I’ll be walking through and most times there are these 2 neighborhood idiots who like to let their dogs (one each so there are 2 here) run loose in the baseball field.  Most times I’ve been able to avoid them and not have an encounter with either of their dogs.  Sometimes though they’re leaving around the same time when I’d get to the part of the path I use to exit the park which is the same path they use to go back to their homes.  The dogs are still off leash and the owners don’t seem to be in any hurry to move things along.  So I take an alternate route to avoid them.  I know where one of these dog owners lives since his backyard borders the trail I use.  From time to time I’ll see him while his dog is running around the unfenced yard. I’m not looking for any trouble or an encounter with either of these idiots but knowing where one of them lives gives me some comfort that if there is an issue I think I’ll be able to track the guy down.  I just want to go on my walks and be done.  

Why do I get the feeling that your neighbor's dog leaves "presents" for the baseball players to find in the outfield?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Why do I get the feeling that your neighbor's dog leaves "presents" for the baseball players to find in the outfield?

I’ve never thought about it before but it’s possible … the dogs seem to spend a lot of time running around the field, I don’t think I’ve noticed them leaving a “present” but I don’t watch them the entire time I’m there. 🤣

• Love 1
On 5/21/2021 at 7:14 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve:  stop telling me you don't like cottage cheese in lasagna and that it's not authentic. I Do Not Care.  That's how my Mom made it and that's how her Mom made it and i already feel guilty enough because I use the no boil noodles (shh don't tell my Nana) .  And further why do people care so much about stuff like this?  If I'm not expecting you to cook it OR eat it what's your problem?

I apparently commit blasphemy every time I make lasagna these days. I used to make my own sauce first and then layer all the ingredients. Currently I use two jars of marinara sauce to one jar of Alfredo sauce, mixed with a large bag of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, the precooked noodles, and the other ingredients such as bell peppers and onions, spices, etc. I don’t care what other people think about it; it’s easy to make and tastes way better than a lot of lasagna I’ve had in restaurants. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

My annual pet peeve: Summer. I fucking hate it. Even though I work in an air conditioned building and have a window unit at home, by the time I get home I'm too exhausted from heat and humidity to do anything. I meant to tidy up the living room and my bedroom this evening but just walking to the door to get the food I ordered is a strain.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, ABay said:

My annual pet peeve: Summer. I fucking hate it. Even though I work in an air conditioned building and have a window unit at home, by the time I get home I'm too exhausted from heat and humidity to do anything. I meant to tidy up the living room and my bedroom this evening but just walking to the door to get the food I ordered is a strain.

I hate summer too. I’m still WFH without air conditioning in my home office. It’s only early June, it shouldn’t be 90+ yet! I eat a lot of cereal in the summer because I cannot be bother to cook. Sometimes it’s just dry cereal because milk is too much effort. I cannot wait until July 12, when my mini split air conditioning is supposed to be installed. 

• Love 9

I'll join in on the hatred of summer -- especially summer when you're having hot flashes.  Hot flashes aren't so bad in the winter, but damn.  It feels like I am going to spontaneously burst into flames.

• Love 8

I love summer; my ideal temperature is 85 degrees, but I can handle it hotter, too.  When it gets over 100 degrees, I pretty much stay inside, but we don't have too many of those days.  And the sun doesn't set until 8:30 p.m.?  Heaven.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I love California summer. I hate Georgia summer.

Oh, yeah - I would not be as fond of summer if it involved crazy humidity!  When I was a kid, every third summer we could go visit my dad's family in Oklahoma for a week.  Getting out of the shower, drying off, and being damp again before I even had a chance to get dressed was not my idea of a good time. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I do like the longer days, but I'd be happy with mid-70s at the most. 

Agree.
Today I went swimming in Lake Ontario for the first time since I moved here in January. I got winded pretty quickly. By the time my endurance is up to an hour of swimming, it will get cold again. And I can’t tolerate indoor pool chlorine. It’s more of an allergy than a pet peeve. 

• Love 4
(edited)

My pet peeve is winter! I'm not crazy about fall either. The weather isn't terrible, but my favorite time of the year is over, and the worst is nearby.

I'm a spring and summer gal. I love long days. I love being warm. I prefer being hot to being cold. I love spring/summer fashion-pretty spring dresses, comfy sandals. Wearing a coat everywhere is annoying, and it's harder to find cute, comfy footwear. Things like getting nails done and putting gas in my car are a pain when it's freezing outside. I also get more depressed in the colder, darker months. I find them so dreary. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I also get more depressed in the colder, darker months. I find them so dreary. 

Same here.  We average something like 285 sunny days here, and I get pretty down after just a few overcast days in a row.  And I really hate the time of year when I have to turn my office light on, because the sun has set by 5:00.  I do the dance of joy when DST rolls around again.

My summer pet peeve is my next door neighbor's noisy ass AC unit.  You can't even hear my condenser until you're close to it, but his sounds like it's right next to me from the yard over (our houses are close together, but still - even for a central air unit, his is way over on the loud end of the spectrum).  I turn on music when I'm in the backyard to drown it out, and in bed at night I fall asleep with the TV so I just turn that up if I have the windows open, so I'm pretty well able to deal with it, but it still sets my teeth to grinding sometimes.  I miss the old days when he was more interested in saving money than being cool and hardly ever ran it.  I keep hoping it will need replacement soon.

• Love 3

Ok I got a fresh pet peeve. I had a rough day. This teacher I work with told me that discussing the covid vaccine was "bullying." She said she felt "bullied" by a discussion I was having with a student about getting our shots. 

Which brings me to a pet peeve: the misuse of the word "bullying." I feel like bullying is intentional cruelty, and I was shocked that a light convo I had with a student was construed as "bullying." The teacher said that I was not considering her extremely anti-vax beliefs and for me to casually talk about getting my shots with students was "excluding" her and she felt bullied. 

I am really peeved that I was accused of "bullying." It was not my intention and I found out she told several co-workers that I was "bullying" her. 

• Love 4

That woman desperately needs to crack open a dictionary and actually read up on the definition of the word "bullying", 'cause, uh, yeah. No. Not even close.

The fact she's a teacher and thinks that way is just...beyond sad. 

• Love 18
13 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

That woman desperately needs to crack open a dictionary and actually read up on the definition of the word "bullying", 'cause, uh, yeah. No. Not even close.

The fact she's a teacher and thinks that way is just...beyond sad. 

I know in my head that it's ridiculous, but it was still upsetting to find out from my supervisor that this was happening. Talk about being blindsided.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Ok I got a fresh pet peeve. I had a rough day. This teacher I work with told me that discussing the covid vaccine was "bullying." She said she felt "bullied" by a discussion I was having with a student about getting our shots. 

Which brings me to a pet peeve: the misuse of the word "bullying." I feel like bullying is intentional cruelty, and I was shocked that a light convo I had with a student was construed as "bullying." The teacher said that I was not considering her extremely anti-vax beliefs and for me to casually talk about getting my shots with students was "excluding" her and she felt bullied. 

I am really peeved that I was accused of "bullying." It was not my intention and I found out she told several co-workers that I was "bullying" her. 

Can a superhero masquerading as an office worker arrange to lock your fake bullying accuser in a room with my beach’s leashless dog  lady?

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

My summer pet peeve is my next door neighbor's noisy ass AC unit.  You can't even hear my condenser until you're close to it, but his sounds like it's right next to me from the yard over (our houses are close together, but still - even for a central air unit, his is way over on the loud end of the spectrum).  I turn on music when I'm in the backyard to drown it out, and in bed at night I fall asleep with the TV so I just turn that up if I have the windows open, so I'm pretty well able to deal with it, but it still sets my teeth to grinding sometimes.  I miss the old days when he was more interested in saving money than being cool and hardly ever ran it.  I keep hoping it will need replacement soon.

For 5 years my neighbor’s son ran the ancient window air conditioner that was permanently installed into a rectangular hole cut in the brick wall for that purpose. His air conditioner wall was at right angles to my bedroom window and less than 5 feet away. He ran it year round to cool his 2 gaming computer towers.  
In my 3 a.m. Googling for solutions I read about strategically smearing some peanut butter on the air conditioner so squirrels or mice would chew through the wiring and it would have to be replaced with a newer, quieter model.  
I didn’t try it, but seriously considered it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’m a responsible dog owner, and I’m in complete agreement with you. These folks are a menace to me and my leashed dog. But there’s no talking to nuts like this. 

• Love 8

Major peeve: people at work in leadership positions who introduce me as the area Coordinator. I'm a Manager, damnit. I worked very hard to become a manager and while there is nothing wrong with being a coordinator (that's what I started as) get my fucking title right.

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Major peeve: people at work in leadership positions who introduce me as the area Coordinator. I'm a Manager, damnit. I worked very hard to become a manager and while there is nothing wrong with being a coordinator (that's what I started as) get my fucking title right.

I completely agree.  

This is related to one of my own pet peeves: The IM/email system at work doesn't automatically link to the HR/Payroll system to update employees' titles.  For example, I sent an email to somebody this morning. I hovered over his name to see if he was online today, and it popped up Jason B, Senior Manager.

I know for a fact that Jason was promoted to Director at least a year ago if not two years ago.  Somebody has to put in a request to IT to update it manually. It's ridiculous. (I'm assuming that this has something to do with protecting HR information, but something could easily be set up to dump out email address and title from HR once a month.)

• Love 4
(edited)

The iPhone health app is making me NUTS! It basically just said that it took me over 30 minutes to walk a mile on a treadmill, which is just insane. I realize that the treadmill dashboard display is likely somewhat imprecise, and I would expect a bit of disparity between the two technologies, but I had the treadmill set at 4.6mph.

It's not that this is SUPER important to me; my goal is just to remember to move around during the average work-at-home day, and I like to get at least 2 "on purpose" miles per day -- meaning that, in terms of step counting, I don't include normal walking around the house stuff (during which, for the most part, I don't even carry the phone with me). Two miles is an arbitrary goal that I just picked at random; per the treadmill, I already did that today, but per the health app, I have done only half!

Totally different peeve: I am in a Teams meeting and just about every girl in it has vocal fry. And one has baby voice PLUS vocal fry--and she says "ummmm" every two seconds (starting with baby and ending with fry). Or, actually, let me try to type it phonetically: "[baby voice] ahhhhhhmmmmmm [vocal fry]."

ETA: Oooh, I am seeing online that the health app is known to underestimate steps/distance. So, I am likely getting more than I think. But so weird--you'd think it would be way more accurate than a treadmill!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Totally different peeve: I am in a Teams meeting and just about every girl in it has vocal fry. And one has baby voice PLUS vocal fry--and she says "ummmm" every two seconds (starting with baby and ending with fry). Or, actually, let me try to type it phonetically: "[baby voice] ahhhhhhmmmmmm [vocal fry]."

Does Miss Baby Voice giggle after every sentence? If so I think I know her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I spent the morning in a virtual proceeding, in which the witness (who thinks she is far smarter than she is, and seemed poised to ask to speak to my manager) said "I seen" more times than I could count, and also threw in an occasional "fustrated".

• LOL 2
29 minutes ago, Quof said:

I spent the morning in a virtual proceeding, in which the witness (who thinks she is far smarter than she is, and seemed poised to ask to speak to my manager) said "I seen" more times than I could count

My ex of 30 years ago always said "I seen." It bugged me. I corrected him and perhaps shouldn't have. It certainly didn't change anything. He even defended his use of "seen" instead of "saw" because he thought "I saw" sounded like he was cutting something with a saw instead of viewing something.
Lately I've been considering that the reason he never washed a dish during the 8 years we were together --through 3 pregnancies and my having a car accident and pneumonia-- was because I never asked him to wash the dishes. (He reportedly started washing dishes for his current wife as soon as he moved in to her large house with the sports car while we were still married.) 
But now that you have reminded me of the "seen" situation, I don't think I can assume he would have washed a dish had I asked.

• Useful 1

One pet peeve of mine is when people don't even try to remember or properly pronounce other people's names. If I meet a bunch of people in one day, I may not remember everyone. I get that uncommon names can be trippy. I do my best though and make a point to get someone's name as quickly as I can, especially if this person will be in my life for awhile (like a coworker). It really comes across as you don't care about that person when you never bother to learn the name. I get secondhand embarrassment when I see someone mispronounce the name of an employee who's been with us for years. Seriously?!

• Love 8
On 6/9/2021 at 3:37 PM, ABay said:

Add me to the Summer haters.  Heat just wipes out my energy and I just feel sluggish and miserable, especially if there is high humidity.

I'm always surprised at people who love summer.  I'm pretty sure people's reaction to summer has a lot to do with how heat affects them and I know that there are people who are not incapacitated by heat.

My favorite season is fall; I like spring and though I don't enjoy cold, I cope with it fine and love snow (if I don't have to drive in it), but oh, I do dread Summer.

• Love 10

Another Summer hater here too,  85° is my max temp I can comfortably tolerate, fortunately it is not humid here in MT which helps. Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons with Winter next. Like the snow as long as I can stay home, which being retired makes easy. 

• Love 7

I’m currently looking at a 10-day forecast that consists primarily of “highs” in the mid to upper 90s, with one token cool day where the high will be only 90. Soon it will be that point when weather discussion focuses on how many days in a row it will hit 100 or higher. I am very grateful for my central air. 

• Love 7