Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

On 5/6/2021 at 3:59 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

A very specific pet peeve - as in once every 5 years.  Got the census form and it was the short form.  Again.  Am I crazy?  I really want the chance to do the long form and am running out of time - even if I make it to a hundred at every 5 years that's not all that many more censuses (censi?) to go!

I assume you are in the United States. The Census is every 10 years, not 5, and was most recently conducted last year. The next one will be in 2030.

In the past, one in six households received the long form questionnaire, however beginning in 2010, only the short form was distributed. The Census Bureau conducts the American Community Survey, an on-going survey that captures the detailed socioeconomic information that was part of the long form survey. The ACS surveys on a variety of topics and is used to supplement the data compiled in the Decennial Census survey. I was a manager for both the 2010 and 2020 Census operation, and was asked this question many times.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I assume you are in the United States. The Census is every 10 years, not 5, and was most recently conducted last year. The next one will be in 2030.

It's being conducted in Canada this year.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

WinnieWinkle is in Canada, as am I. Entirely different process. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I assume you are in the United States. The Census is every 10 years, not 5, and was most recently conducted last year. The next one will be in 2030.

In Canada so as others have noted, every 5 years.  I think it is much easier for a country with our population to do something on the scale of a census more frequently.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

In Canada so as others have noted, every 5 years.  I think it is much easier for a country with our population to do something on the scale of a census more frequently.  

I hate the long form.  I got the long form this year as well as in 2016.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Got the US census last year, and after years of filling in the endless pages of the Irish one I was thrilled to see the lack of incredibly intrusive questions.  I was often a bit creative in my answers as there wasn’t a “none of your effing business” option.  They were always collected by local people at the door (no online or postal option) and you just knew they were scanning through them for the gossip whilst checking that you had “filled in all the boxes”.  This was the excuse I heard one woman give for marking down the entire family as Catholic, she didn’t want the neighbours to find out they weren’t. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

One question in the (Canadian) long form was about language and to be honest, I wasn't sure what to say about my toddler.  He "speaks" English, but he's expressively delayed, so his vocabulary is limited for a 2 1/2 year old.  I actually entered "Toddler Speak" for one of his languages.  I wonder if that'll get a laugh out of the StatsCan people, because I'm sure going over the census is a pretty boring job.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was just scrolling through a recipe online (scrolling because it was posted by one of those people who feels compelled to include their life's story) when I saw the author say her kids "are plant based".  Um, no.  Your kids are carbon based, and you feed them a plant-based diet.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I was just scrolling through a recipe online (scrolling because it was posted by one of those people who feels compelled to include their life's story) when I saw the author say her kids "are plant based".  Um, no.  Your kids are carbon based, and you feed them a plant-based diet.

It somewhat reminds me of those signs advertising "grass fed butter". 

No, it's butter churned from milk that's been milked from cows that have eaten grass! 

I've never seen nor heard of butter actually eating grass-and if I ever saw any butter doing that, I'd run then call the cops and hope they wouldn't go after me with a butterfly net! 

  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/4/2021 at 4:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

OMG! Thank you! I knew I wasn't losing my mind.

I guess they didn’t test it in NYC or I would have tried it!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of "plant based" pet peeves I dislike when people who are neither vegan nor vegetarian say "we stick to a mostly* plant-based diet."

That means you ... eat lots of fruits, veggies, and grains. Which any healthy diet should do.

*the mostly is a pet peeve of mine. It's like "I mostly stick to non-alcoholic beverages." Which I do. But I'm not a teetotaler.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

28 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Speaking of "plant based" pet peeves I dislike when people who are neither vegan nor vegetarian say "we stick to a mostly* plant-based diet."

That means you ... eat lots of fruits, veggies, and grains. Which any healthy diet should do.

*the mostly is a pet peeve of mine. It's like "I mostly stick to non-alcoholic beverages." Which I do. But I'm not a teetotaler.

That's never bothered me, but what does is when folks say they're vegan or vegetarian except for fish, or they still eat chicken now and then. Call yourself a pescatarian or say you don't eat a lot of meat. As a vegetarian, it is annoying when people expect me to still eat animals. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

That's never bothered me, but what does is when folks say they're vegan or vegetarian except for fish, or they still eat chicken now and then. Call yourself a pescatarian or say you don't eat a lot of meat. As a vegetarian, it is annoying when people expect me to still eat animals. 

I feel like there needs to be another term. Like mostly-tarian? I generally avoid meat due to the factory farming and humanitarian and environmental issues, but I can’t say I haven’t had an occasional chicken noodle soup. So can we get some credit for helping improve things 95% of the time?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, SoMuchTV said:

I feel like there needs to be another term. Like mostly-tarian? I generally avoid meat due to the factory farming and humanitarian and environmental issues, but I can’t say I haven’t had an occasional chicken noodle soup. So can we get some credit for helping improve things 95% of the time?

Haha I totally give credit! Thank you for making a difference. 👏 None of us are perfect. :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

That's never bothered me, but what does is when folks say they're vegan or vegetarian except for fish, or they still eat chicken now and then. Call yourself a pescatarian or say you don't eat a lot of meat. As a vegetarian, it is annoying when people expect me to still eat animals. 

The "mostly plant based" is what Tom Brady says his diet is. Which sounds like ... a regular diet. He says he eats meat and fish but "mostly" is plant based. And it's like "ok so you try to eat healthy?" Which is great, and he's a big guy and an athlete so he needs the protein. But it just sounds like some wellness buzz words.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The "mostly plant based" is what Tom Brady says his diet is. Which sounds like ... a regular diet. He says he eats meat and fish but "mostly" is plant based. And it's like "ok so you try to eat healthy?" Which is great, and he's a big guy and an athlete so he needs the protein. But it just sounds like some wellness buzz words.

"Mostly" to me basically means someone who only, say, eats meat on weekends.  Though I'd rather say "weekday vegetarian" or something like that.  That said, I'm an occasional weekend red meat eater.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I feel like there needs to be another term. Like mostly-tarian? I generally avoid meat due to the factory farming and humanitarian and environmental issues, but I can’t say I haven’t had an occasional chicken noodle soup. So can we get some credit for helping improve things 95% of the time?

I haven't eaten any meat in over 20 years, but I don't eat particularly well. I eat far too much processed food because I loathe cooking. I've learned over the last few years that there are just as much bad/unethical/environmentally unsound/just plain evil practices in commercial fruit and vegetable farming as in animal or dairy farming, so there's no winning, except for capitalism, I guess.

  • Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I haven't eaten any meat in over 20 years, but I don't eat particularly well. I eat far too much processed food because I loathe cooking. I've learned over the last few years that there are just as much bad/unethical/environmentally unsound/just plain evil practices in commercial fruit and vegetable farming as in animal or dairy farming, so there's no winning, except for capitalism, I guess.

And that's why people are now buying oat milk over, say, almond (besides the whole allergy thing).  I've also tried chickpea milk, but it hasn't caught on.  It's not too bad and doesn't taste like hummus (though this girl LOVES hummus and puts it on practically everything).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, GussieK said:

I guess they didn’t test it in NYC or I would have tried it!  

They really should have tried it in more markets. It was, hands down, the best fast food burger I've ever had. No nasty "special sauce", no soggy lettuce, nice hard French roll instead of the insipid sesame bun and the spicy/sweet ketchup was something I've been trying to replicate for lo, these many years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know why we need a term for the various ways of eating. I eat anything but I may have beef or pork only maybe 3-4 times a year. What am I? A part time beef-eater? I often feel that people who have the need to explain what they eat/don't eat and what they are called want to tell me they are better people than I am. Or that they are too precious for this world and thus can't handle "bad" foods.

Give me a break. Unless you have an allergy or celiac disease or any other disease that prevents you from eating something, and I am cooking for you, shut up about it, I don't care.

I've grown up with a sister who hasn't consciously eaten anything with eyes since she was 18. I never hear her making a fuss or pretend she is a better person because she doesn't eat animals.

I do stay away from reminding her that she's probably swallowed a few insects while riding her bicycle throughout her life. And that traditional kimchi isn't vegetarian.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I cannot stand being called "Ms. firstname" or "Ms. lastname" in a professional setting. It drives me fucking bonkers. We are coworkers, stop prefacing my name with some antiquated title under the guise of manners. Once I tell you to call me by my first name it's rude to ignore that and continue to call me "Ms. first name" or "Ms. lastname" in the name of "manners". Knock that shit off. I have a first name. I've asked you to use it. Use it.

I wouldn't like it in a personal setting either but thankfully that situation has yet to arise. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I don't know why we need a term for the various ways of eating. I eat anything but I may have beef or pork only maybe 3-4 times a year. What am I? A part time beef-eater? I often feel that people who have the need to explain what they eat/don't eat and what they are called want to tell me they are better people than I am. Or that they are too precious for this world and thus can't handle "bad" foods.

Give me a break. Unless you have an allergy or celiac disease or any other disease that prevents you from eating something, and I am cooking for you, shut up about it, I don't care.

I've grown up with a sister who hasn't consciously eaten anything with eyes since she was 18. I never hear her making a fuss or pretend she is a better person because she doesn't eat animals.

Different terms clear up different diets. Luckily my family, friends and coworkers do care what I feel comfortable putting into my body. The only reason vegans or vegetarians bring up what we eat is because we often have to. It's not about being too precious for this world or putting anyone else down. I appreciate anyone who make an effort to eat less meat, but I never push my lifestyle on anyone. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I cannot stand being called "Ms. firstname" or "Ms. lastname" in a professional setting. It drives me fucking bonkers. We are coworkers, stop prefacing my name with some antiquated title under the guise of manners. Once I tell you to call me by my first name it's rude to ignore that and continue to call me "Ms. first name" or "Ms. lastname" in the name of "manners". Knock that shit off. I have a first name. I've asked you to use it. Use it.

I wouldn't like it in a personal setting either but thankfully that situation has yet to arise. 

If you were express  this to me in person (as have a very few other folks), I would happily respect your wishes and not address you as such. 

 

I take it that you are not located in the Southeast US. In my workplace (in that locale), we almost universally address  older and/or senior female colleagues by that and only a tiny number has ever expressed dislike rather than considering it a show of manners and respect. 

To each one's own, though. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

It's not just diet.  

It seems everyone needs to feel special somehow and wants some special word to define them or group to identify with.  

Like 'i am sapiosexual because I'm most attracted to intelligence'. 

No, you are probably just being pretentious.  Almost all of us want an intelligent partner, to some degree.  Sure we all rank it differently and judge it differently but the idea of a sapiosexual existing implicitly implies that those who DONT explicitly identify that way don't think intelligence is important in a mate, which is a pretty ridiculous view

It goes on and on not just with sexuality, that's just an example.  I'm not picking on that grouping or type of grouping

Its part of this societal trend of group identity being driving forces in every aspect of our lives.  

There is nothing wrong with any of these things and to a cerain extent yes, we need to acknowledge differences and not judge people based on those different viewpoints.  The vast majority of us I think can agree on that.   Not all.  There are outliers that just insist on any deviation from their view is unacceptable or wrong.  And that is not healthy or a realistic way we should have to live, based on mostly arbitrary societal standards and a dominant group view in place mostly to keep those people dominant

But at the same time for many things like this that are irrelevant to most interactions or just not apparent or important at first glance, this need to subcompartmentalize ourselves into more and more tiny groups and use group identity as the major way we live our lives and view the world has caused entrenched factions that seem to just fight amongst whatever opposing group might exist.  

The ironic part is the driving force behind the start of those group dynamics, rooted in the need for acceptance of some deviation from the norm, now seems to be forcing us to fail to acknowledge we all cannot be defined by one group and the different groups we do identify with may not always be in agreement with one another. It's has seemingly caused an intolerance of those in other groups.  And many of the groups we identify among really dont matter in most of our daily lives or interactions despite the growing push to make it matter in everything we do.  

 

And to go back to the poi t of all this, yes we need to know if someone is a vegetarians.  They come for a meal, ok, great, we can accommodate.  

 

But do we need a word or group for someone who occasionally eats meat but only a few times a month and might it fish but not red meat and drinks milk but only certain types ........

If you're eating together just ask, hey, what would you like and be open and accommodating.  I do t need a word for every list if things you like.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

It's not just diet.  

It seems everyone needs to feel special somehow and wants some special word to define them or group to identify with.  

Like 'i am sapiosexual because I'm most attracted to intelligence'. 

No, you are probably just being pretentious.  Almost all of us want an intelligent partner, to some degree.  Sure we all rank it differently and judge it differently but the idea of a sapiosexual existing implicitly implies that those who DONT explicitly identify that way don't think intelligence is important in a mate, which is a pretty ridiculous view

It goes on and on not just with sexuality, that's just an example.  I'm not picking on that grouping or type of grouping

Its part of this societal trend of group identity being driving forces in every aspect of our lives.  

There is nothing wrong with any of these things and to a cerain extent yes, we need to acknowledge differences and not judge people based on those different viewpoints.  The vast majority of us I think can agree on that.   Not all.  There are outliers that just insist on any deviation from their view is unacceptable or wrong.  And that is not healthy or a realistic way we should have to live, based on mostly arbitrary societal standards and a dominant group view in place mostly to keep those people dominant

But at the same time for many things like this that are irrelevant to most interactions or just not apparent or important at first glance, this need to subcompartmentalize ourselves into more and more tiny groups and use group identity as the major way we live our lives and view the world has caused entrenched factions that seem to just fight amongst whatever opposing group might exist.  

The ironic part is the driving force behind the start of those group dynamics, rooted in the need for acceptance of some deviation from the norm, now seems to be forcing us to fail to acknowledge we all cannot be defined by one group and the different groups we do identify with may not always be in agreement with one another. It's has seemingly caused an intolerance of those in other groups.  And many of the groups we identify among really dont matter in most of our daily lives or interactions despite the growing push to make it matter in everything we do.  

 

And to go back to the poi t of all this, yes we need to know if someone is a vegetarians.  They come for a meal, ok, great, we can accommodate.  

 

But do we need a word or group for someone who occasionally eats meat but only a few times a month and might it fish but not red meat and drinks milk but only certain types ........

If you're eating together just ask, hey, what would you like and be open and accommodating.  I do t need a word for every list if things you like.  

The whole identity thing is getting toxic.  When I was in high school (way back in the last century, in the 1990s), we had a pan-multicultural society/club.  Now said high school has a Black Student Union, an Asian Student Union, a Jewish Student Union, yadda, yadda, yadda.  The job of these groups is supposedly to create unity, awareness and inclusion, but does it really?  I learned a lot about Caribbean culture from just being involved in the multicultural club but if I were a generation younger, I probably wouldn't learn as much because Caribbean culture would mostly be coming from the kids in the Black Student Union.  I have Hong Kong roots, so I'd be part of the Asian Student Union if I even decided to join.  I would learn about, say, Korean culture, but Barbadian?  Probably not.  I feel like I have to tag a few billion identities with me.  The more "sob" identities, the better, it seems.  I have some health conditions, but I don't and won't let it be my main identity.  I don't like playing victim.  

Oh, and as for that sometimes animal product eating individual who eats fish at times and does dairy?  I suppose there's always lacto-semi-pescatarian? 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Blergh said:

If you were express  this to me in person (as have a very few other folks), I would happily respect your wishes and not address you as such. 

I take it that you are not located in the Southeast US. In my workplace (in that locale), we almost universally address  older and/or senior female colleagues by that and only a tiny number has ever expressed dislike rather than considering it a show of manners and respect. 

To each one's own, though. 

Oh, I am 110% still in hell (aka GA). I didn't realize that wasn't well known by now. But like I said, I hate it and once anyone has been asked to call me by name name, and only my name, it rude to continue to add Ms. in front of it. We're coworkers, age is irrelevant. I tolerate ma'am, barely. I'm at the point where I'm ready to say something to the repeat offenders manager that this person needs to knock off the Ms. shit. If you want to be polite and have manners call me by my name and drop the Ms.

Edit: in the course of my ranting about this I was able to identify WHY this pisses me off so much. It's a way to form a power imbalance. At work age & gender doesn't (shouldn't) matter. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Oh, I am 110% still in hell (aka GA). I didn't realize that wasn't well known by now. But like I said, I hate it and once anyone has been asked to call me by name name, and only my name, it rude to continue to add Ms. in front of it. We're coworkers, age is irrelevant. I tolerate ma'am, barely. I'm at the point where I'm ready to say something to the repeat offenders manager that this person needs to knock off the Ms. shit. If you want to be polite and have manners call me by my name and drop the Ms.

Edit: in the course of my ranting about this I was able to identify WHY this pisses me off so much. It's a way to form a power imbalance. At work age & gender doesn't (shouldn't) matter. 

It should depend on workplace culture, IMHO.  If the company is super-casual and you show in a suit, and continue to go to work every single day in a suit (well, in normal times, anyway.  I suppose you can apply to this in the virtual working world as well, where people wear "Zoom-appropriate tops" and who knows what below), you'd be ostracized.  And heck, maybe even forced out because colleagues are making it really difficult for you to WANT to stay.  You either stick with the culture or you leave.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@therehead

I'm sorry that you feel that way (and believe that your locale is 'hell').

As I said,  I respect your viewpoints (and would take care not to address you or anyone else who expressed dislike for that form of address)  even though I can't say that I agree with either assessment.

To each one's own.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

That's why it's my peeve. And just in case anyone was worried, I'm not a jerk when correcting the person but I'm so tired of constantly having to correct them. Just call me by my first name like I keep asking.

I would not have fared well in the 1960s Mad Men corporate enviornment.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

35 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

That's why it's my peeve. And just in case anyone was worried, I'm not a jerk when correcting the person but I'm so tired of constantly having to correct them. Just call me by my first name like I keep asking.

I would not have fared well in the 1960s Mad Men corporate enviornment.

LOL.  I'm sure you wouldn't fare well in some Asian countries.  My dad went on a business trip to South Korea in the early 2000s and respect of hierarchy was still BIG (and likely still is today) then.  He was meeting with the company's CEO and non-executives, would step out of the elevator if they were to see the CEO enter, with or without guests.  My dad, who grew up in Hong Kong, had never seen that anywhere before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, PRgal said:

LOL.  I'm sure you wouldn't fare well in some Asian countries.  My dad went on a business trip to South Korea in the early 2000s and respect of hierarchy was still BIG (and likely still is today) then.  He was meeting with the company's CEO and non-executives, would step out of the elevator if they were to see the CEO enter, with or without guests.  My dad, who grew up in Hong Kong, had never seen that anywhere before.

The chances of me ever being in that situation are slim to none, and slim is half way out the door.

That being said, there is a time and place for formality and what I do, my position and my company when working with someone on the same level as me (a peer) is not it.

My peeve isn't being called it, to start. My peeve is that people keep doing it after I've asked them not to, because it's "polite". No, the polite thing is to call me by the name I've asked you to. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

The chances of me ever being in that situation are slim to none, and slim is half way out the door.

That being said, there is a time and place for formality and what I do, my position and my company when working with someone on the same level as me (a peer) is not it.

My peeve isn't being called it, to start. My peeve is that people keep doing it after I've asked them not to, because it's "polite". No, the polite thing is to call me by the name I've asked you to. 

I’m not a fan of being called “Cindy,” but my son’s nanny calls me that.  I think it’s because she heard my parents call me Cindy a few times.  I’ve never corrected her, but only because her English isn’t great and correcting her now would only lead to resentment. 

Share this post


Link to post

For me, at least, I use the more formal addresses for people I am not that familiar with at work. For instance, my supervisor last year I called her "Ms. _____." This year because I;m more familiar with her I call her by her first name. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My peeve isn't being called it, to start. My peeve is that people keep doing it after I've asked them not to, because it's "polite". No, the polite thing is to call me by the name I've asked you to. 

This is a work culture or personal thing.

If its happening to everyone then its a work culture thing.  If its just you then they are purposefully being assholes and using a Southerner stereotype to get away with it.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

This is a work culture or personal thing.

If its happening to everyone then its a work culture thing.  If its just you then they are purposefully being assholes and using a Southerner stereotype to get away with it.

It's a couple people and not a "work thing". I don't even think they're being assholes about it or using it in a passive aggressive way. I just can't stand it and I think it's rude to keep doing it. Make an effort, dude. You know I don't like it. 

I'm also talking about a peer. I'm not in a position over them nor are they over me. 

In an unrelated peeve, my parents never take my advice then call to complain when things don't work out. My parents are having sushi for dinner tonight. I suggested they call in around 430 or 5 because it's going to be really busy. I just got a call (9pm here / 6pm there) "they aren't taking any more take out orders because they are two hours behind so we're going to go see how long the wait is". I suggested they get take out from somewhere more local and get sushi tomorrow but nope. My mom is dragging my dad down there and I already know it's going to be a 2 hour wait. And I don't want to hear about it. Period. 

This is a very common occurrence. I suggest X because I know from experience that X is a solid plan. They don't take that plan then bitch about it. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My peeve with regard to names is people using a shortened form of your name before they even know what you prefer to be called.  I am looking squarely at my husband here.  If he meets someone named Robert he will immediately address them as Bob, William becomes Bill, well you get the idea.  First even if they don't go by their full name there are usually at least a few variations of names.  But that aside, don't assume.  Just don't.

31 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

In an unrelated peeve, my parents never take my advice then call to complain when things don't work out.

So it's not just me?  I swear I could be the Chief Doctor of the World and my parents would still never listen to me if I said "Hmm, I think we need to go the hospital for this."

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

So it's not just me?  I swear I could be the Chief Doctor of the World and my parents would still never listen to me if I said "Hmm, I think we need to go the hospital for this."

While you're gushing blood from your eyes.

Edited by theredhead77 · Reason: I know the difference between your and you're!
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I cannot stand being called "Ms. firstname" or "Ms. lastname" in a professional setting. It drives me fucking bonkers. We are coworkers, stop prefacing my name with some antiquated title under the guise of manners. Once I tell you to call me by my first name it's rude to ignore that and continue to call me "Ms. first name" or "Ms. lastname" in the name of "manners". Knock that shit off. I have a first name. I've asked you to use it. Use it.

I wouldn't like it in a personal setting either but thankfully that situation has yet to arise. 

When I lived in Raleigh, I loved it when little southern kids called me Miss Ann. A few native NC associates called me that once in a while. Coming from NYS, I found it kinda sweet and old fashioned (but my boss never called me anything but my first name, thank goodness!)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

When I lived in Raleigh, I loved it when little southern kids called me Miss Ann. A few native NC associates called me that once in a while. Coming from NYS, I found it kinda sweet and old fashioned (but my boss never called me anything but my first name, thank goodness!)

I haven't run into that with any little kids yet. My friends know me well enough to know that I can't stand it BUT they also know I'd respect their parenting choices for what they want their kids to call their adult friends. Growing up I had two aunts that I'll call Aunt A and Aunt T and she also had her BFF E. It took me until I was an adult to figure out that Aunt A and Aunt T were not actually related to us at all. My mom knew T for decades and my dad independently knew T's brother, long before they (my parents) started even dating.

For those waiting for an update on the dinner situation.... my mom called me a couple hours later. Their timing was perfect and they got front row parking (courtesy of my dad's DP status) and there was no wait. I'm super thrilled that my mom's Mother's Day Dinner went off so well and that I don't have to listen to her bitch about it.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

For those waiting for an update on the dinner situation.... my mom called me a couple hours later. Their timing was perfect and they got front row parking (courtesy of my dad's DP status) and there was no wait. I'm super thrilled that my mom's Mother's Day Dinner went off so well and that I don't have to listen to her bitch about it.

Win win!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of dinners I have a peeve with menus that don't describe what a dish is. Some menus go for a really minimalist look but I want to know what kind of dressing, sauce, spices, etc are on a dish before I order.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Speaking of dinners I have a peeve with menus that don't describe what a dish is. Some menus go for a really minimalist look but I want to know what kind of dressing, sauce, spices, etc are on a dish before I order.

This.  I also dislike mismatched menus (as in something being on the DoorDash menu but not in UberEats). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Speaking of dinners I have a peeve with menus that don't describe what a dish is. Some menus go for a really minimalist look but I want to know what kind of dressing, sauce, spices, etc are on a dish before I order.

Not long ago I ordered Huevos Rancheros and it came with shredded beef. I had my friend double check the menu to make sure I didn't mis-read. Nope, it described the tortillas, the beans and salsa, and how the egg would be cooked. No mention of beef. Luckily the only reason I don't eat meat is because I don't really like it, so it wasn't that big of a deal. But it was a weird surprise to chew and wonder what the heck was in my mouth! So I guess my peeve would be a menu that does describe the dish, but leaves out important information!

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2021 at 4:21 PM, theredhead77 said:

Oh, I am 110% still in hell (aka GA).

I have lived in Metro Atlanta for 25 years. Many things I like, other things are annoying. I am sad that your experience is living in hell. Mine has had a few elements of hell, like everywhere else I have lived. The culture shock was huge moving to Georgia.

I agree that the whole calling someone in the workplace by Mr., Miss, etc. and last name is very outdated and does create a power imbalance. I’m not from Georgia (New Mexico, Texas, Missouri and then Georgia). I do think the referring to coworkers that way is beyond outdated (I also lived through a time in the late 1980s when I worked weekend shift at a data center. Since I was a manager I was required to dress in professional attire. It’s a weekend shift and no outside people are allowed in. Also, I often had to pull up floor tiles to get to cables.) We were also expected to call certain levels of management Mr. or Ms.

I do think many people in Georgia are brought up in a way where you call women ma’am and don’t use the first name of certain persons. I think it is intended to convey respect, but many of them are idiots.

When I worked for the State of Georgia in the mid 2000’s a lot of that had fallen by the wayside. So it makes me sad, as I am an organizational psychologist, that your company is still so old school.

Tangentially related: I had a boss who was a total idiot and just plain lazy. He was also a misogynistic jerk. He also spoke in the third person, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. One day, he said to me Ms. “StatsQueen” I replied that is “Doctor StatsQueen”.  What an idiot. I think he is now a life coach 🤣🤣🤣

image.png

40 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Not long ago I ordered Huevos Rancheros and it came with shredded beef.

That’s just plain wrong.

Edited by Stats Queen · Reason: Cant delete than PNG
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

When I worked for the State of Georgia in the mid 2000’s a lot of that had fallen by the wayside. So it makes me sad, as I am an organizational psychologist, that your company is still so old school.

It's not a company thing. It's a couple of people and I'm sure it's a very hard habit for them to break but dude, stop. Thought today I went to the eye doctor and the doctor called me Ms. [First name]. I did not hesitate to say "no, just Name, please". We had a nice chat about it during the exam.

And also I know I'd probably acclimate more if I stopped thinking of this place as hell. I'm so homesick and miss my parents and friends so much. It's already hard to make friends as an adult and the pandemic and spending most of 2020 alone didn't help

20 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Not long ago I ordered Huevos Rancheros and it came with shredded beef. I had my friend double check the menu to make sure I didn't mis-read. Nope, it described the tortillas, the beans and salsa, and how the egg would be cooked. No mention of beef. Luckily the only reason I don't eat meat is because I don't really like it, so it wasn't that big of a deal. But it was a weird surprise to chew and wonder what the heck was in my mouth! So I guess my peeve would be a menu that does describe the dish, but leaves out important information!

That's so strange [and wrong] that it sounds like it was a kitchen mistake.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

That's so strange [and wrong] that it sounds like it was a kitchen mistake.

It certainly could have been. Everyone seemed scattered even though there were only a few people there. The whole experience was disappointing.

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It's not a company thing. It's a couple of people and I'm sure it's a very hard habit for them to break but dude, stop. Thought today I went to the eye doctor and the doctor called me Ms. [First name]. I did not hesitate to say "no, just Name, please". We had a nice chat about it during the exam.

And also I know I'd probably acclimate more if I stopped thinking of this place as hell. I'm so homesick and miss my parents and friends so much. It's already hard to make friends as an adult and the pandemic and spending most of 2020 alone didn't help

That's so strange [and wrong] that it sounds like it was a kitchen mistake.

You recently moved and a pandemic and then away from loved ones - that’s a lot. 
After grad school, it took me several years to find good friends in Atlanta. Not the easiest place to make connections and find friends. But once you do…

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

That's so strange [and wrong] that it sounds like it was a kitchen mistake.

I thought the same thing, but then I did a Google search for "huevos rancheros with beef" and several recipes popped up!  Ground beef, sliced steak, beef sausage ... apparently people do this.  It's still very odd to not note it on the menu!  If that is how it's served there, why would they describe the traditional ingredients, yet not even mention the addition of an unexpected "bonus"?  That circles me back around to thinking maybe it was a mistake.

22 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

And also I know I'd probably acclimate more if I stopped thinking of this place as hell.

I feel for you, because I doubt I'd be able to adjust, either.  But if you're going to stay, I hope you find a way to do that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size