Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Omg. Here for a major pet peeve -- people who flex when they say they're "so proud" that they never watched ____ TV show. Dude, why are you proud that you didn't watch a TV show? It's not like you getting a PhD or buying your first house -- it's TV. It happened tonight when someone on my FB page said he was "so proud" he never watched Friends after I posted about the Friends reunion. Dude, whatever. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It happened tonight when someone on my FB page said he was "so proud" he never watched Friends after I posted about the Friends reunion. Dude, whatever. 

I had this happen on FB yesterday too, someone asked for a show of hands if people had never watched the Kardahsians - very clearly implying "come sit by me at the cool kids table".  I haven't watched their show(s ?) I've zero interest in them but that doesn't make it something to brag about!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I had this happen on FB yesterday too, someone asked for a show of hands if people had never watched the Kardahsians - very clearly implying "come sit by me at the cool kids table".  I haven't watched their show(s ?) I've zero interest in them but that doesn't make it something to brag about!

For real. Someone on my FB feed did that with Game of Thrones too and then blocked me when I said "the books or the tv show"? LOL.

It's such a weird thing to flex and brag about. 

• Love 3

I haven't watched GoT because I know there is a lot of sad animal stuff in it. I have no doubt I'd love the rest of the show but I just can't with sad animal stuff. So my peeve on that is people trying to convince me that it's not that much and I should watch it. Nope, I know what happens, I read the internet and I'm good. I barely get through TWD but the sad animal stuff is pretty rare these days. Though if they kill DOG I will riot.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I haven't watched GoT because I know there is a lot of sad animal stuff in it. I have no doubt I'd love the rest of the show but I just can't with sad animal stuff. So my peeve on that is people trying to convince me that it's not that much and I should watch it. Nope, I know what happens, I read the internet and I'm good. I barely get through TWD but the sad animal stuff is pretty rare these days. Though if they kill DOG I will riot.

From one redhead to another: I am with you 100% about any sad animal stuff.

I don’t care that it’s “just pretend” and that the the dogs “are acting.” Nope. Not for me. Not ever. 

🐾❤️🐾❤️

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Bridget said:

I don’t care that it’s “just pretend” and that the the dogs “are acting.” Nope. Not for me. Not ever. 

🐾❤️🐾❤️

I'm not a redhead but I too refuse to watch any sad stuff in which animals are not treated well.  Heck, I can't even watch nature shows.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Omg. Here for a major pet peeve -- people who flex when they say they're "so proud" that they never watched ____ TV show. Dude, why are you proud that you didn't watch a TV show? It's not like you getting a PhD or buying your first house -- it's TV. It happened tonight when someone on my FB page said he was "so proud" he never watched Friends after I posted about the Friends reunion. Dude, whatever. 

When I first went on these threads, I was amazed at how many lawyers, doctors and professionals posted and watched these Stupid shows.  I love them and it seems so does everyone else.  Friends, Seinfeld, Raymond and all those sitcoms were the best.  We need more of them.  That goes for these outrageous Housewives shows also.  Different strokes for different folks.  I look forward to them.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Bridget said:

🐾❤️🐾❤️

I can’t and never will watch “the Lion King”.  Just seeing the Mother and baby makes me cry.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

When I first went on these threads, I was amazed at how many lawyers, doctors and professionals posted and watched these Stupid shows.  I love them and it seems so does everyone else.  Friends, Seinfeld, Raymond and all those sitcoms were the best.  We need more of them.  That goes for these outrageous Housewives shows also.  Different strokes for different folks.  I look forward to them.

I wish more people had that attitude about TV shows in general. That reminds me of another thing that bugs me, that inevitably happens around this time of year when TV shows are getting renewed and cancelled. It's totally fine to be sad that a show you like is being cancelled, of course, but I hate when some people feel the need to dunk on other shows that were renewed, and act like they're somehow to blame for their favorite show being cancelled. It's like some people can't seem to fathom that there's all sorts of reasons why shows get cancelled, most of which can essentially be boiled down to which ones are and aren't making the networks/studios money. Add in the fact that there is a LOT more competition for eyeballs nowadays than there was, say, twenty, even ten, years ago, and that's a big factor as well. 

And then of course there's the people who always go, "I guess this show was just too smart for the simple masses." Even if I agree that it sucks that a particular show was cancelled, the moment someone says that I automatically roll my eyes. It's just such an obnoxiously snooty thing to say.

On that note, I too have never understood the way some people make a big to do of the fact they've never seen a popular show, and act like that somehow makes them cooler or better than others. It's one thing to say that a show doesn't seem like your thing, or to simply say you've not seen it, but there's no need to get all high and mighty over it. 

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

On that note, I too have never understood the way some people make a big to do of the fact they've never seen a popular show, and act like that somehow makes them cooler or better than others. It's one thing to say that a show doesn't seem like your thing, or to simply say you've not seen it, but there's no need to get all high and mighty over it. 

Same thing as being all high and mighty about not being on Facebook or Twitter.  Or not having a smartphone.  Or not ever flying anywhere.  People can get so high and mighty over the silliest things.

• Love 11
19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Same thing as being all high and mighty about not being on Facebook or Twitter.  Or not having a smartphone.  Or not ever flying anywhere.  People can get so high and mighty over the silliest things.

Ha, in my case, I've only ever flown once in my life, but my reason for not flying more often is that I've just never had the money and means to do so regularly :p. That's also the big reason I don't have the latest gadgets. I'm just broke, LOL. 

And of course, there's also the people who are afraid to fly. But yeah, whatever the reason, I agree it's a weird thing to make a big deal about not doing. I don't understand what people who do that hope to achieve, what kind of reaction they expect to get. 

28 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Not having a cellphone is my biggest peeve because I have a friend like that and he is ALWAYS asking to borrow my cell phone to 'make an emergency call.' After awhile with all the emergency calls it's like yeah, get a phone yourself. But no, he takes so much pride in not "giving in to technology."

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I went on Facebook once to see what the big deal was.  All I saw were people dressed up, or on vacation.  The comments were all the same, for instance “you look beautiful” .. “stunning” .. “so gorgeous”, blah, blah.  They all looked like crap .. hahaha.  What bullshit.  It’s all competition, to me anyhow.  Do I feel bad that I didn’t go to the Bahamas for two weeks?  Hell no.  I go to Disney every year in the car.image.png.8b19657e7a5486659cb176f33061f7c9.png 

P.s.  I have no idea how that thing up there came on.  A Unicorn?

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, ABay said:

I wasn't allowed to watch Lassie when I was little because I got too upset when Lassie was in danger.

I about lost my mind over the Miss Gulch just coming and taking Toto. Dammit, it still upsets me.

• Love 7
(edited)
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I about lost my mind over the Miss Gulch just coming and taking Toto. Dammit, it still upsets me.

My mom said that was the scene that always most upset her in the movie, too. Flying monkeys, fine, whatever, but Miss Gulch taking Toto away? Nope. That was too much. 

All this talk of these kinds of scenes from movies is reminding me of All Dogs Go to Heaven, that I used to watch as a kid. Granted, the title of that one made it clear what you were in for, but still... 

And then there's Littlefoot and his mom in The Land Before Time....

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And then there's Littlefoot and his mom in The Land Before Time....

I didn't watch very many cartoons or animated movies when I was a kid, and they were even less my thing as a teen and adult, but once when visiting family when I was about 15, my cousin's little kid became obsessed with me and at one point wanted me to watch a movie with him.  Fine, that seems far less annoying than everything else I've been roped into, and he'll be quiet.  He picks one of his favorites, The Land Before Time, which I know nothing about.  It starts, and, okay, it's an animated dinosaur movie.  Certainly not my pick, but fine, and I find the little dino quite cute.  Well.  I wind up bawling - and wondering what the hell is wrong with this child that this is one of his favorite movies.

And why in all hell are all the moms in animated movies dead/killed or missing?!

• Love 3

I should have walked out of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. But nope. Instead my grown ass ugly cried throughout the whole movie. History should have taught me the 2nd Jurassic World movie would be awful to the dinosaurs since JP 2: The Lost World was. Oops. I bought the boxed set over the holidays because it was like $25 and I love Jurassic Park OG and three and Jurassic World. I'm making a friend pre-screen the upcoming Jurassic World. 

• Love 1

I would have walked out of Twister if the dog had died in the beginning.  

Peeve of the day is an ongoing peeve.  My internet sucks so hard!  I've known for a while I've had crappy internet, but staying at home all the time and relying on it so much has really amplified just how bad it is.  I have DSL, over the copper phone lines, and I'm not sure I have many other options.  I could get it through Dish, I suppose, but satellite internet comes with its own set of problems.  Ugh, technology.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

I went on Facebook once to see what the big deal was.  All I saw were people dressed up, or on vacation.  The comments were all the same, for instance “you look beautiful” .. “stunning” .. “so gorgeous”, blah, blah.  They all looked like crap .. hahaha.  What bullshit.  It’s all competition, to me anyhow.  Do I feel bad that I didn’t go to the Bahamas for two weeks?  Hell no.  I go to Disney every year in the car.image.png.8b19657e7a5486659cb176f33061f7c9.png 

P.s.  I have no idea how that thing up there came on.  A Unicorn?

You up?  Haha

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Ha, in my case, I've only ever flown once in my life, but my reason for not flying more often is that I've just never had the money and means to do so regularly :p. That's also the big reason I don't have the latest gadgets. I'm just broke, LOL. 

And of course, there's also the people who are afraid to fly. But yeah, whatever the reason, I agree it's a weird thing to make a big deal about not doing. I don't understand what people who do that hope to achieve, what kind of reaction they expect to get. 

My Cousin never went out of the state.  Never flew, no gorgeous vacations, doesn’t have a cell phone or I pad.  She just loves her home, feels safe there, does her garden and watches t.v. and talks to friends on the phone.  She’s happy, and there’s nothing wrong with that.  She’s content, has plenty of money too.  Just likes to be in her home.  Everyone is different.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I would have walked out of Twister if the dog had died in the beginning.  

Peeve of the day is an ongoing peeve.  My internet sucks so hard!  I've known for a while I've had crappy internet, but staying at home all the time and relying on it so much has really amplified just how bad it is.  I have DSL, over the copper phone lines, and I'm not sure I have many other options.  I could get it through Dish, I suppose, but satellite internet comes with its own set of problems.  Ugh, technology.

There are so many options now. Life is too short to live with crappy internet. Does your area get Google Fiber?

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

And why in all hell are all the moms in animated movies dead/killed or missing?!

It's not just animated movies.  Any woman that one of the Cartwrights on Bonanza got involved with was doomed.  Any female agent on NCIS either gets killed, fakes their own death, or arranges some cover story so they can go on some super secret undercover operation - doesn't matter, soon they will be gone.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

It's not just animated movies.  Any woman that one of the Cartwrights on Bonanza got involved with was doomed.  Any female agent on NCIS either gets killed, fakes their own death, or arranges some cover story so they can go on some super secret undercover operation - doesn't matter, soon they will be gone.  

In Disney movies they have to kill off the moms so there can be a stepmother. All of whom, of course, are evil.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

There are so many options now. Life is too short to live with crappy internet. Does your area get Google Fiber?

I have no idea even what all my options are, and I'm not even sure where to start to try to find out.  Crappy DSL was not so crappy when I initially signed up for it, and it was the best option (the other being dial-up) at the time.  I really should try to move into the 21st century.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm sorry but I can't stand to watch most of the mainstream popular shows.  There are plenty of mainstream things I don't do, such as Facebook (I have a Facebook account just to have access).  I don't brag about these things or consider myself superior for that.  I just have low tolerance for some things, in particular, most sitcoms.  This leaves me out of the connectedness people have with popular entertainment, including sports, but I've come to terms with being an outlier.

The thing is that I watch a lot of TV.  I'm so grateful for streaming because I have access to old movies, British shows (the best police procedurals & mysteries in the world IMO), great original programming from Prime and Netflix and so much else.

Add me to the group who avoid anything with animals being in jeopardy or hurt.  Can't bear it.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 6

People can grouse all day about Facebook but I have thoroughly enjoyed it. As I mentioned a while back, I think of it as being one big family & friend photo album come to life. I only have 15 "friends" as I rarely accept friend requests from people other than relatives. It's peaceful, sometimes funny (jokes & stories), and I have a few private groups among my "friends" so we can quietly share photos w/o boring the others (came in handy when our grandson was a baby, toddler).

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, ABay said:

@Browncoat, this site seems pretty accurate https://broadbandnow.com/

It's the only one that showed my actual provider (Go NetSpeed) and not just xfinity and Frontier.

Thanks!  That's an awesome site, and also tells me that internet in my area is generally crap.  This is what I get for living in a semi-rural area, I guess.  I will explore it further, and perhaps I can do marginally better than what I have now.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Thanks!  That's an awesome site, and also tells me that internet in my area is generally crap.  This is what I get for living in a semi-rural area, I guess.  I will explore it further, and perhaps I can do marginally better than what I have now.

There are lots of us who work in IT or are tech savvy and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Not necessarily me, I've been out of IT just long enough to need to do more google than rely on my knowledge.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I'm sorry but I can't stand to watch most of the mainstream popular shows.  There are plenty of mainstream things I don't do, such as Facebook (I have a Facebook account just to have access).  I don't brag about these things or consider myself superior for that.  I just have low tolerance for some things, in particular, most sitcoms.  This leaves me out of the connectedness people have with popular entertainment, including sports, but I've come to terms with being an outlier.

The thing is that I watch a lot of TV.  I'm so grateful for streaming because I have access to old movies, British shows (the best police procedurals & mysteries in the world IMO), great original programming from Prime and Netflix and so much else.

Add me to the group who avoid anything with animals being in jeopardy or hurt.  Can't bear it.

I love old movies from Turner classics and the movie channel.  Just wish they could go in the vault and put new ones on.  I guess they have to get some permission of some kind.  We taped “Great Expectations” awhile backhand keep watching.  Also love Sherlock Holmes and anything Agatha Christie.  Any black n whites.  My kid put me on Facebook but I just can’t navigate.  Just in case someone is looking for me from the old days.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:
5 hours ago, Calvada said:

And in how many of those cases did the actresses playing in those roles want to exit the series?

I don’t know about the most recent one who announced she was leaving, but the other ones who left NCIS did so because they wanted to leave. Sasha Alexander because in her own words, it was too hard, as she had only filmed pilots. 

Cote de Pablo also chose to leave after 10 years.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

There are lots of us who work in IT or are tech savvy and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Not necessarily me, I've been out of IT just long enough to need to do more google than rely on my knowledge.

Taking to Small Talk...  And by Small Talk, I mean Chit-Chat.

Edited by Browncoat
  • LOL 1
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't watch very many cartoons or animated movies when I was a kid, and they were even less my thing as a teen and adult, but once when visiting family when I was about 15, my cousin's little kid became obsessed with me and at one point wanted me to watch a movie with him.  Fine, that seems far less annoying than everything else I've been roped into, and he'll be quiet.  He picks one of his favorites, The Land Before Time, which I know nothing about.  It starts, and, okay, it's an animated dinosaur movie.  Certainly not my pick, but fine, and I find the little dino quite cute.  Well.  I wind up bawling - and wondering what the hell is wrong with this child that this is one of his favorite movies.

Though it's the dad in The Lion King.  

Speaking of moms, the part where Nemo was the only egg left made me cry.  And I was, like, 23, going on 24 years old when the movie came out in 2003.  I cannot watch Bambi.  I think Disney/Pixar does a good job re: tearjerkers.  Babies (Nemo, opening part of Up!), moms, dads.....heck, even abandoned toys.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I think Disney/Pixar does a good job re: tearjerkers.  Babies (Nemo, opening part of Up!), moms, dads.....heck, even abandoned toys.

I have seen that "When She Loved Me" scene from Toy Story 2 once, and only once. I can't watch it again. It hits me way too hard. Anytime I see a story where a child is separated from a toy or doll that means a lot to them for one reason or another, I get emotional over that.

Same goes for stories where someone has died and in their room there's these stuffed animals sitting on their bed. It always looks as though they're waiting for their owner to come home or something, and it's an image that always gets me. 

8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

People can grouse all day about Facebook but I have thoroughly enjoyed it. As I mentioned a while back, I think of it as being one big family & friend photo album come to life. I only have 15 "friends" as I rarely accept friend requests from people other than relatives. It's peaceful, sometimes funny (jokes & stories), and I have a few private groups among my "friends" so we can quietly share photos w/o boring the others (came in handy when our grandson was a baby, toddler).

Well in that case, I just might go on.  I thought anyone can look at your posts and pictures.  If I can pick who I want to see my stuff, I might do it.  Family and friends only.  That sounds good.  Now to get one of my kids to show me how to navigate the whole thing.  It looks complicated.  My girls told me not to put pictures of their kids on Facebook, even tho they are my grandchildren.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

And in how many of those cases did the actresses playing in those roles want to exit the series?

I won't watch any Disney movies where that goes on.  I won't watch Old Yeller either.  I still haven't seen Bambi.

I was going to watch Titanic, but someone ruined it for me by telling me the ship sank.

I am still trying to find out more information about the Brave browser, but every single article I read, reads like an infomercial.

Peeve.  I have mentioned in the past that I bought a hibiscus last year and planted it, and wasn't a happy camper when it came up in a different color than the one I thought I bought.  I was going to see if I could buy the one I wanted this year.  Well now it is like the hibiscus fell off of the planet.  I can't find it anywhere.  I only buy local.  I talked to my local garden center and the dude said that they don't special order anything.  The other garden center said that they don't get their hibiscuses from the same vendor anymore because they were getting too many complaints about the hibiscuses being improperly labeled.   That garden center is the one where I got that hibiscus.

Home Depot.  My daughter gets them every year and they grow very high.  All colors.  Gorgeous.

• Useful 1

The only people who can see what I or my friends post on my page are my *friends". The general public can see my name and a photo (of my cat) on my profile page but nothing else. I use my first two initials + last name. My sister uses our Swedish greatgrandmother's first name + a photo of a Dahla horse on her profile page. Keeping it small and private enables me to enjoy it w/o being overwhelmed.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

The only people who can see what I or my friends post on my page are my *friends". The general public can see my name and a photo (of my cat) on my profile page but nothing else. I use my first two initials + last name.

Same here.  I have a very limited selection of friends - people I actually know personally, close family members and some relatives I've met but rarely see.  I have everything set so only my 'friends' can see what I post.  I am witness to the occasional moments of high drama because of course I can see what others I know are posting but aside from that it's very easy to limit who can see me which is what matters. 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

My girls told me not to put pictures of their kids on Facebook, even tho they are my grandchildren.

Your girls are smart, I never understand people who post their kids faces all over the internet.

• Love 9
(edited)
12 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

My girls told me not to put pictures of their kids on Facebook, even tho they are my grandchildren.

11 hours ago, GaT said:

Your girls are smart, I never understand people who post their kids faces all over the internet.

I'm a grown woman with my own Facebook and I don't want my mom posting photos of me on her Facebook without my explicit approval. I manage her page and privacy settings but I don't know her friends or their friends and don't want my image, at any age, out there without my approval. Once a year she gets a birthday, mother's day and Hanukkah photo of both of us to share. That's it.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 10

Back in the dark ages (60s and 70s), my mother wouldn't even buy us the keychains with our names on them, or let us put our names on the T-shirts we got printed at the T-shirt stand.  Not even our surname.  No way would she have put our photos online had there been an online.

Peeve for today -- the weather.  Too cold and dreary for the end of May!

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Back in the dark ages (60s and 70s), my mother wouldn't even buy us the keychains with our names on them, or let us put our names on the T-shirts we got printed at the T-shirt stand.  Not even our surname.  No way would she have put our photos online had there been an online.

My name is unique so my mom would buy me things with my name on it if we found it, which was super rare. But never on shirts or something public facing. A keychain would have to live in my bedroom on my wall. In hindsight that's probably how my keychain collection started.

I have a friend forbid her parents from taking photos of her kids, because her mother refused to abide by their (friend and husband) request to not post photos of their kids on social media. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 6
41 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I have a friend forbid her parents from taking photos of her kids, because her mother refused to abide by their (friend and husband) request to not post photos of their kids on social media. 

This is why I no longer allow my daughter to take pictures of me unless they are on my phone. I choose who and if I care to share. 

• Love 11
(edited)
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I one hundred percent agree with this.

I was pissed (before the internet was a thing) when my neighbor told me after the fact that they sent a video into America's Funniest Videos with me in it without my approval.  I was the whole reason for it being sent in.  And I mean I was pissed off.  Thankfully, nothing came of it.

I have no idea what my siblings do on social media.  I don't give a rat's ass as long as I am not a part of it.

I don't buy into the "what's the big deal" argument.  It is a big deal, because it shows a complete lack of respect.  It is similar to being volunteered to do something without being asked first.  My mother used to do that all of the time.  Sure, my kid would be glad to do it.  Of course she never asked me first, and couldn't understand why I got all bent out of shape over it.  It is a respect thing.  Volunteer yourself, don't volunteer me.

I get you.  I want people to remember me when I was 20 and skinny, not when I’m old and fat or old and the emancipated look, lol.  Or emanciated.  Choose one, I’m losing my mind.

Edited by Hangin Out
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I have seen that "When She Loved Me" scene from Toy Story 2 once, and only once. I can't watch it again. It hits me way too hard. Anytime I see a story where a child is separated from a toy or doll that means a lot to them for one reason or another, I get emotional over that.

Same goes for stories where someone has died and in their room there's these stuffed animals sitting on their bed. It always looks as though they're waiting for their owner to come home or something, and it's an image that always gets me. 

How about “ The Yearling”.  I could never watch that to save my life.

• Love 1