Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

13 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I never had a problem with the kids playing outside and doing some yelling and arguing (even when they were having a birthday party or cookout and there were additional kids around).  And 'yard work' noise is okay (lawnmowers, weed eaters, etc.) as long as it's not at the crack of dawn. It was only the music. 

Agreed, I actually like the sound of lawn mowers and most tools, it's kinda soothing in a "summer is here" way. I also don't mind children at play with normal yelling voices, arguing, calling for each other etc., but these kids were screamers. I thought the kids themselves were wonderful, the two girls loved to come help me plant flowers and would come sit with me if I was relaxing in my chair. Their brother was a handful, like to grab the hose and spray his sisters instead of the plants but he was fun. The screaming I could have done without though! ;) 

• Like 7

Stubbing your toes! I like walking barefoot, walk fast and am clumsy. NOT a good combination. My poor toes. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 4/19/2021 at 11:21 PM, RealHousewife said:

I'm the worst. I LOVE to shop. If I go in, I'll see some new snacks that look yummy. I'll get treats for family and friends. I'll decide I need some bubble gum. I'll spend extra on healthy stuff and tell myself money spent on nutritious food is never a waste. Perhaps I'll get beauty products or toiletries I really don't need and tell myself it's okay because I'm shopping at Walmart or Target and not Sephora. I need to get better!

Today we tried that new store “LidL”.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My Condo is connected to other condos.  This weekend, I heard bass drums going boom, boom, boom for about 2 hours thru my walls into my living room where I was relaxing all afternoon.  Nothing bothers my husband, only me.  If it continues, do I have the right to find the condo and tell them to lower whatever they are playing?  It might be a kid home from college for the whole summer.  I hate noise and sleep with a sound machine as loud as it goes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

55 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

My Condo is connected to other condos.  This weekend, I heard bass drums going boom, boom, boom for about 2 hours thru my walls into my living room where I was relaxing all afternoon.  Nothing bothers my husband, only me.  If it continues, do I have the right to find the condo and tell them to lower whatever they are playing?  It might be a kid home from college for the whole summer.  I hate noise and sleep with a sound machine as loud as it goes.

It might be worth a try and they may turn it down, then later turn it up again.  I don’t like that kind of noise either and have had to deal with a noisy upstairs neighbor in the past who I was able to get to be more quiet late at night.  During the day is a different story.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

It might be worth a try and they may turn it down, then later turn it up again.  I don’t like that kind of noise either and have had to deal with a noisy upstairs neighbor in the past who I was able to get to be more quiet late at night.  During the day is a different story.  

Yeah, my Mother used to say that people can do what they want until 10 p.m.  I’m screwed.  The guy next door to us has a dog that barked everyday at 7:10 am for forty minutes when the guy went to work.  His bedroom wall is our bedroom wall.  My husband rang his bell and told him to put the dog in another room in the morning, and he did.  We are retired and don’t have to get up at 7:10.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Why do people repeatedly not understand that “but we neeeeeeeed it!” does not mysteriously make me able to do something faster, but just as thoroughly, as I would with a reasonable deadline? Maybe I’m being an asshole; surely one can verify 100 medical journal annotations — and do whatever other urgent jobs show up — in less than one workday.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Call the condo association president or someone on the board. I was once on the board and no loud music after 9 p.m. Otherwise they were fined.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rcc said:

Call the condo association president or someone on the board. I was once on the board and no loud music after 9 p.m. Otherwise they were fined.

Yes, thanks.  In my next life, I will buy a house in the woods, away from everyone.  It will probably be a pathway for jet planes to come in to the airport, lol.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

4 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Yes, thanks.  In my next life, I will buy a house in the woods, away from everyone.  It will probably be a pathway for jet planes to come in to the airport, lol.

I now have a small house not necessarily in the woods. Living next to inconsiderate neighbors in a condo complex is no fun. 

Edited by rcc
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why do people repeatedly not understand that “but we neeeeeeeed it!” does not mysteriously make me able to do something faster, but just as thoroughly, as I would with a reasonable deadline? Maybe I’m being an asshole; surely one can verify 100 medical journal annotations — and do whatever other urgent jobs show up — in less than one workday.

My DH used to have a sign up in his auto repair that read "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." He also had one that said  

Rates:

$80.00 per hour

$100.00 if you want to watch

$175.00  if you want to help

• Like 7
  • Laugh 13

3 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

If it happens again, it may be worth seeing if you can figure out where it's coming from and nicely letting them know that you can hear their stuff. Lie if you have to, you have a sleeping baby, you're studying, whatever. Sounds like bass travel even when it's not loud and they may have no idea you can hear it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My DH used to have a sign up in his auto repair that read "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." He also had one that said  

Rates:

$80.00 per hour

The problem is that they take time from the last step of the process (editorial) to give to other teams. Which, OK, shit happens. But then they think I should have to just accept it...which I will when they accept half-assed fact checking. Another problem is that they seem to think fact checks are easy. They’re not, especially at hour 9 of a supposed 8-hour day.

• Like 3

Pettest peeve of all.  Were I willing to replace my visual entertainment devices on an hourly basis, I would have unloaded many rounds of ammunition on same.

allstate.jpg

Screenshot (601).png

• Laugh 2

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Pettest peeve of all.  Were I willing to replace my visual entertainment devices on an hourly basis, I would have unloaded many rounds of ammunition on same.

allstate.jpg

Screenshot (601).png

I hate this commercial.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Rates:

$80.00 per hour

I’ve seen one which also included a rate,  “if you tried to fix it yourself first”, or something like that. 😁

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

6 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Can you bring this up to management or the board?

My current pet peeve is home delivery food/meal services. Most of them have an option at the very beginning to put in your zip code to see if they serve your area...I'm in the boonies in MT and most don't.

What annoys me most is the ones that make you go through the whole sign in answer questions/pick food and after all that you put in your address...and they don't serve my area. Latest one  I was really hopeful for was Hungry Root. Food was right up my alley but as soon as I put in my address, no service in my area. Another waste of time... 

Edited by Gramto6 · Reason: tuypo
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

My current pet peeve is home delivery food/meal services. Most of them have an option at the very beginning to put in your zip code to see if they serve your area...I'm in the boonies in MT and most don't.

What annoys me most is the ones that make you go through the whole sign in answer questions/pick food and after all that you put in your address...and they don't serve my area. Latest one  I was really hopeful for was Hungry Root. Food was right up my alley but as soon as I put in my address, no service in my area. Another waste of time... 

Word.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I see you and raise you. In general I hate that so many on-line apps or websites require you to create an account just to look at something once. So they can obtain your contact information. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, GussieK said:

I see you and raise you. In general I hate that so many on-line apps or websites require you to create an account just to look at something once. So they can obtain your contact information. 

I have an email account that is used only for this kind of thing.  

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

Explain this please.  I see people say this occasionally, but I don't see the difference.  Don't you still have to perform housekeeping on that email acct. as well?  Still have to delete/unsubscribe/etc., right?  What am I missing?

The point is that the Marketing Dept. holds us hostage in order to become a potential customer, which does not breed goodwill, nor does it compel me to want to be a customer.

Circular logic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Callietwo said:

Same here.  What I really like is that the email account I use for important things - like job applications and family business - doesn't get cluttered up with spam or other junk mail anymore.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Explain this please.  I see people say this occasionally, but I don't see the difference.  Don't you still have to perform housekeeping on that email acct. as well?  Still have to delete/unsubscribe/etc., right?  What am I missing?

The point is that the Marketing Dept. holds us hostage in order to become a potential customer, which does not breed goodwill, nor does it compel me to want to be a customer.

You're not wrong that this practice does not breed goodwill, but it's so common as to be unavoidable. A dedicated "this is where crap goes" email doesn't require maintenance. I never check mine unless I need to go in to activate some new thing I signed up for. Otherwise it can just sit there because I know that nothing that goes in there is something I actually need to see. It's just a mechanism to get into sites that won't let me look at them otherwise.

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I can set up a free e-mail account something like "moose@mail.com" with a web-based interface, and use it for random stuff that requires you to register, but for which I don't want to give out my "real" e-mail address. They can send all the crap they want to that address, and it won't matter to me. If they require me to reply to an e-mail when I first register, I can, but otherwise stuff can just sit there forever. If I'm feeling productive, I'll go in, select all the messages and delete them.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Today's peeve - well an ongoing peeve: contractors who quote you a price, that you agree to and then never show up.  Since we bought our house this has now happened 3 times.  I don't know if they decide they underbid and don't have the guts to come back to us and tell us this - and at least give us a chance to agree to a higher price - or if they are too busy and our job falls through the cracks or if this is what contractors are like in a small town (never had this issue in the Big City).  Whatever the reason I am beyond fed up now.  

• Like 6
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve - well an ongoing peeve: contractors who quote you a price, that you agree to and then never show up.  Since we bought our house this has now happened 3 times.  I don't know if they decide they underbid and don't have the guts to come back to us and tell us this - and at least give us a chance to agree to a higher price - or if they are too busy and our job falls through the cracks or if this is what contractors are like in a small town (never had this issue in the Big City).  Whatever the reason I am beyond fed up now.  

Two suggestions: Check out the contractor on Yelp or some other public forum before you even get the quote. Once you get the quote and have arranged for the work to be done on a specific day/time, ask for references (just someone they have done similar work for that will vouch for their reliability etc.). If they won't give you a reference, then you already know there is something fishy and can move on...

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Circular logic.

Well, I don't really maintain this email account unless I happen to buy something from one of those pages, in which case, I'll track my purchase from there but basically, I just shitcan it all once every couple of weeks.  

It's just a means to keep my real email account clean and clutter free.  

OH!  I also will look in there to see if there are any coupons available prior to making a purchase.  

Edited by Callietwo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Any chance these were insulation contractors? This happened to me literally every time I tried to book someone to reinsulate my attic. Haven't had issues with other contractors though.

• Surprise 1

2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Are you signed up with NextDoor? This is a good place to get information in your neighborhood from other people who live there. You can post asking for recommendations or do a search for businesses in your area, so you'll know if the contractor is reliable or not.

• Like 6

On 4/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have the same problem-I’ve had my blood drawn so many times even fisting and pumping my hand doesn’t help. But one of my oncologist nurses suggested something that helped me. Drinking lots of water before going to the doctor when I need blood drawn. It “plumps” the veins. But sometimes it doesn’t and I remember how they had to stick me from the back of my hand where the veins are visible. Thankfully I only had to suffer through that option once. It’s very rare that I’ve had someone stick me and I barely felt it. Hence me digging my nails into my palm of the opposite arm and looking away and holding my breath.

I generally warn anyone attempting to draw blood that my veins are thin, roll, and collapse at the slightest provocation. This is usually followed by the discussion about which arm to use, which consists of me telling them the left arm is better, them looking at my left arm and informing me the right arm MUST be better, and then shocked Pikachu face when they discover I was correct. 

Although I haven’t been able to do it in a while, I used to donate platelets regularly, and much preferred their method of finding a vein. They would always jab my arm with a local anesthetic prior to sticking me, so even if it took a few tries, I wasn’t in pain. 

Once in a great while, a regular medical tech who wants to draw blood will listen to my warnings, and go find a more experienced person. During the birth of my daughter, the regular tech and a couple of other people gave up and summoned the person who normally sticks babies. 

• Like 3

There is a snake in a bathtub in the chit chat topic.  What is the mechanism to make that go away?

Random snake pictures on the internet is among my least favorite thing to be surprised by on the internet.

We need to respect the childhood traumas which include

• baby taken to see Jaws
  • steps on baby copperhead barefoot
  • f$%^, its a bat
  • here's your brother's pet tarantula
  • here's your brother's pet snake
  • voice mail "the snake is lose in the house"
Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

There is a snake in a bathtub in the chit chat topic.  What is the mechanism to make that go away?

Random snake pictures on the internet is among my least favorite thing to be surprised by on the internet.

We need to respect the childhood traumas which include

• baby taken to see Jaws
  • steps on baby copperhead barefoot
  • f$%^, its a bat
  • here's your brother's pet tarantula
  • here's your brother's pet snake
  • voice mail "the snake is lose in the house"

I must have missed it, but thank goodness! Ugh, that's my # internet pet peeve too. People who don't have the trauma just don't understand. 😰 Yes, even pictures freak me out. I wish they didn't, but they do. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, one person's trauma is another person's whining.   There ought to be a way of showing compassion and also helping people move forward from past issues.  Unfortunately too many people get stuck (raises hand) with things that have happened so long ago (bullying), and they just can't let those things go and move forward.  That doesn't mean those things in the past aren't important and life-altering, but at some point people have to beat what ails them or forever be consumed by them.  The longer that goes on, the more likely compassion from others starts to fade, turning from compassion to annoyance.

In other words, at some point people who have been hurt by others need to stop letting the assholes win.  Most likely they have moved on.  And even if they haven't, why live life on their terms.  Live life on your terms and annoy the ever living shit out of them in the process.

As for snakes?  I don't like them, but then again, a snake didn't choose to be a snake.

Back when I was in middle school, my mom was getting ready to go to work.  She walked out the side door of the house, saw a small garter snake, and twisted her ankle trying to get away from it.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

My peeve today: People who respond to questions on product reviews when they have nothing of value to contribute.

I was looking for a treadmill mat to protect my carpet. Because I have to click to expand a topic to get all the answers, then click back (on a slow device), I wasted time on these and other gems: 

Will this mat stain my carpet?  "I don't know, I use mine on a concrete garage floor."  "Probably not, but I've only had it a week."  "It's called a 'treadmill mat,' so it shouldn't."  "Ours is from a different manufacturer, but we haven't had a problem."  "Hasn't stained our wood laminate."  "Bought a yoga mat from this brand last year. Love it!" and  "Not knowing what color your carpet is, I couldn't say."

• Like 8
  • Laugh 1

26 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

My peeve today: People who respond to questions on product reviews when they have nothing of value to contribute.

I was looking for a treadmill mat to protect my carpet. Because I have to click to expand a topic to get all the answers, then click back (on a slow device), I wasted time on these and other gems: 

Will this mat stain my carpet?  "I don't know, I use mine on a concrete garage floor."  "Probably not, but I've only had it a week."  "It's called a 'treadmill mat,' so it shouldn't."  "Ours is from a different manufacturer, but we haven't had a problem."  "Hasn't stained our wood laminate."  "Bought a yoga mat from this brand last year. Love it!" and  "Not knowing what color your carpet is, I couldn't say."

“I don’t know I haven’t received mine yet.”

• Like 2
  • Laugh 10

47 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

This is because once you buy something, you get inundated with emails from the company asking you to help someone who has a question about said thing, repeatedly.  

They don't seem to stop until you answer.

Edited by Callietwo
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

“I don’t know I haven’t received mine yet.”

I love the ones about plants and seeds. "Well, they haven't come up yet/bloomed yet so I'm giving them 5 stars!"

• Laugh 7

My favourite are the book reviews on Amazon "I am giving one star because the book arrived later than expected".  Ok.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 11

Peeve today.  I was dying for a taco salad from Taco Bell.  I love the shell.  Went.  No more taco salads.  They took the shell away.  They are competing with Chipotle.  Same with Panera’s.  They took away the 2 for 1 Italian sandwich you get with the soup.  Anything good, they take away.  So pissed.

• Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Peeve today.  I was dying for a taco salad from Taco Bell.  I love the shell.  Went.  No more taco salads.  They took the shell away.  They are competing with Chipotle.  Same with Panera’s.  They took away the 2 for 1 Italian sandwich you get with the soup.  Anything good, they take away.  So pissed.

Well, shoot, now I want taco salad too! 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

There used to be a thing called Micky D. I was addicted to them. It was French roll, made to order burger with spicy ketchup and real cheddar. They were sooo good. Not only don't they make them any more but according to the Googles, they never existed. Makes feel like I imagined them. SMDH.

• Like 1

Same with Panera’s.  They took away the 2 for 1 Italian sandwich you get with the soup.  Anything good, they take away.  So pissed.

But mac and cheese bread bowls from Panera look yum. Certainly am glad they're listening to me!

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kawaiiko said:

But mac and cheese bread bowls from Panera look yum. Certainly am glad they're listening to me!

I love the French onion soup.  Now, they only give you four croutons, sno I have to add bits of bread into it.  Things are getting skimpy, but the prices still go up.  Can’t win.

• Like 1

I forgot this peeve.  Opening jars.  I can’t open jars to save my life.  Any jar that has to be opened, I have to call my son to do it.  My husband try everything from hot water, rubber things, fancy things, etc.  we just can’t do it.  

• Sad 3

The tip of a sharp knife, under the rim, breaks the air seal so you can open the jar.  I'm sure there are other implements that might be safer if the knife scares you. 

• Useful 3

2 hours ago, Quof said:

The tip of a sharp knife, under the rim, breaks the air seal so you can open the jar.  I'm sure there are other implements that might be safer if the knife scares you. 

Oh, good idea.  I’ll try it.  Thanks a lot .. you saved my Son many trips.😀

I have one of these, which I know as a "church key". I slip the pointed end under the lip of a metal lid to release the air and then the lid opens.

image.png.c46fc7ef7722fb18b4295ea726497ee7.png

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.