Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We had the A/C cranked in my old office because the men were always hot. Me and the person in the next office taped paper over the vents. That worked for us.

I've resorted to that a time or two as well, but when you're in a hotel room you have to work with what you got!

• Love 1

Here's another one for the Phone Pitchers Groaners Hall of Infamy:

Someone called me to say that there was new 'burial insurance' being offered in my area.

I told them: I'm NOT dead, yet! Goodbye!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I’m looking for a job at the moment.  I have a profile on LinkedIn and have been hearing from recruiters about positions they think I may be interested in.  My profile has a summary of my work history along with locations I would like to work in my state.  My peeves are recruiters who ignore the location and send me something where I’d be required to relocate (I don’t respond) or they send a note with a job title and location followed by “send me your resume and I’ll contact you”.  No, I don’t think so, tell me the details first and I’ll decide.  

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’m looking for a job at the moment.  I have a profile on LinkedIn and have been hearing from recruiters about positions they think I may be interested in.  My profile has a summary of my work history along with locations I would like to work in my state.  My peeves are recruiters who ignore the location and send me something where I’d be required to relocate (I don’t respond) or they send a note with a job title and location followed by “send me your resume and I’ll contact you”.  No, I don’t think so, tell me the details first and I’ll decide.  

Stick to your guns. There's a real labor shortage right now and employers are sweetening their deals for good prospects.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Stick to your guns. There's a real labor shortage right now and employers are sweetening their deals for good prospects.

Yes! I talked with a recruiter yesterday about a couple of jobs in my area, each with a different company.  The first one had a rate that I’m looking for and the second one was much lower.  I told them I’ll pass on the 2nd one, they asked why and I told them the rate was too low.  They were able to get the client to raise the rate just to get my interest.  I’m waiting back on hearing whether or not either place wants to interview me.  

• Love 6
On 5/12/2021 at 2:45 PM, theredhead77 said:

Dude. I'm trying to find a new doctor and am running into this issue. No one answers, I leave a message but one is calling me back.

Wow. So I posted this on the 12th and one of the offices I called between the 10th and the 12th just called me back this afternoon. That's over a week later. I told them sorry, I gave up on them and found another place that called me back the next day. The person got terse and hung up. I guess I made the correct decision!

• Love 3

Back on the subject of unbearably noisy neighbors. Unfortunately sometimes you just have to get other people, even law enforcement involved. Our next door neighbors (very nice sisters, renters, moved to central California from Oklahoma) thought it was necessary to "feed the birds" so they set up bird feeders with seed, which the birds loved and flocked to (totally unnecessary - there is no winter here and the birds have plenty of food naturally). This attracted rats and mice and when I asked politely if they would stop feeding the birds I got a firm "no". So when I saw four fat rats on the fence between their place and mine, I asked again and was again told that no way they were not going to feed the birds. I contacted their landlady and told her my next call would be the public health department. The bird feeders were gone within the hour.

Previously I had to deal with next door neighbors out in a rural area that were keeping fighting roosters (two of them, that would start crowing just before dawn and kept going until full dark each and every day). No response to polite requests so I contacted the sheriff as this was a noise abatement issue and the sheriff paid them a visit. Adios, roosters.

I know people are reluctant to be "that person" that makes a fuss but at this point in my life my health and sanity (which depends on a reasonable level of quiet and cleanliness) is worth escalating once a polite request has been ignored. And frankly, I don't care what ethnicity or planet of origin the offenders hail from...and I guess that is my pet peeve: contemporary society is encouraging people to be wimps in situations that have nothing to do with anything other than blatant rudeness and selfishness.

• Love 10
(edited)
14 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I guess that is my pet peeve: contemporary society is encouraging people to be wimps in situations that have nothing to do with anything other than blatant rudeness and selfishness.

For me it's not about society encouraging me to be wimpy and more about me being concerned that my call to the local police non emergency number for a noise complaint could end up with someone dead. Calling the health department or animal control, sure. But someone's life has to be in danger for me to call the police. If it's not 911 worthy I'm not calling.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 12
35 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

But someone's life has to be in danger for me to call the police. If it's not 911 worthy I'm not calling.

Same.  I don't want the police in my life, and I'm not going to bring them into anyone else's, either, unless it is one of the few things to which they are the appropriate solution.

• Love 9

Back on the subject of unbearably noisy neighbors. Unfortunately sometimes you just have to get other people, even law enforcement involved. Our next door neighbors (very nice sisters, renters, moved to central California from Oklahoma) thought it was necessary to "feed the birds" so they set up bird feeders with seed, which the birds loved and flocked to (totally unnecessary - there is no winter here and the birds have plenty of food naturally). This attracted rats and mice and when I asked politely if they would stop feeding the birds I got a firm "no". So when I saw four fat rats on the fence between their place and mine, I asked again and was again told that no way they were not going to feed the birds. I contacted their landlady and told her my next call would be the public health department. The bird feeders were gone within the hour.

This is why my DH and I had to take our bird feeders down. We live in the Pacific NW and we do get winters. We liked to sit on our porch in the evenings and watch the birds. We didn't even mind the squirrels getting into them. But then the rats came and that was a bridge too far. Down came the bird feeders Now we only feed hummingbirds.

• Love 4

I live in NYC.  We have rats all over our neighborhood.  You see them at night scurrying around. 

Then there are the loony people who have to feed pigeons and squirrels.  They throw down a pile of bread pieces and a swarm of pigeons comes down.  Right on the city street.  The squirrel fans do their feeding in the park. 

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This is why my DH and I had to take our bird feeders down. We live in the Pacific NW and we do get winters. We liked to sit on our porch in the evenings and watch the birds. We didn't even mind the squirrels getting into them. But then the rats came and that was a bridge too far. Down came the bird feeders Now we only feed hummingbirds.

Just wait until the rats find a hummingbird outfit.

• LOL 5
(edited)
13 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Just wait until the rats find a hummingbird outfit.

image.png.0bbf47fffe90f12fd0205ac25d226686.png

I could only find a rat in a bee costume.

Actually also found a dragon.

image.png

But no hummingbirds.  So the feeder should be safe from imposters.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • LOL 9
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

When I lived in the mountains (on the flank of Mt. Shasta actually, about 4000 ft. up) we fed the birds during the winter but used hanging suet thingies (so they don't really scatter the seeds around) and only fed during the 6-7 months when there was snow on the ground. (Although my friends reported that it snowed there yesterday!). No rats, but then again I had several cats including one super hunter tom so perhaps that is the ultimate solution :)

My across-the-street neighbor fed the hummingbirds with a hanging thingy off her porch and my hunter tom used to sit on her porch railing and literally snatch the hummingbirds out of the air. He did that once or twice when we moved here to the central coast with some tiny birds (not hummingbirds) that flew by his perch on the fence. We came to call all really small birds "snack birds". (Sorry - I know some of you don't approve of cats outside eating birds. I consider most birds as stupid reptiles with feathers.)

2 minutes ago, isalicat said:

(Sorry - I know some of you don't approve of cats outside eating birds. I consider most birds as stupid reptiles with feathers.)

Come sit by me.  I don't wish death to birds but I don't like them.  I date this from a traumatic viewing of The Birds when I was far too young to be watching movies like that!  Whatever the reason to me it's easy to see the connection between birds and dinosaurs.

• Love 1

Since we talk about package frustrations here often, I have another story for the annals. I'm teetering on the edge on any given day, so after two attempts to get an automatic refund for a $19 bottle of soap didn't work without Amazon demanding I return it, I took to chatting with a human (well, after I had to pass the gatekeeping chat bot) and proceeded to lose the few marbles I have left.

I know I need to stop shopping at Amazon, but...they have the lowest price on the cat litter I buy and when I get it on autoshipping, I get a discount. I also get a few other household things on autoship for a discount. We truly can't escape Amazon as it is embedded in everything now, but I'm not buying soap from them anymore--well, it was actually a third-party shipper.

Here's my fruit loops exchange because this week has been A WEEK, and Amazon asking me to return a $19 soap pushed me past my breaking point. Some of the messages post kind of out of order so it seems like I'm still talking about something they already answered.

Screenshot_20210521-133353_copy_1080x2220.png.384e420260cddd83fbfb2944b81f81eb.png

Screenshot_20210521-133401_copy_1080x2220.png.fa1eccb2b900d2b9f60ff71ac30912ea.png

Screenshot_20210521-133416_copy_1080x2220.png.6ad34e3917c5bcec96cd00ec46333f42.png

Screenshot_20210521-133615_copy_1080x2220.png.1a991ec52eb7ae299065c0db2b43c2fd.png

• Love 2

@bilgistic They once sent me some kind of glue when I had ordered those yellow replacement parts to go into my hummingbird feeder. They wanted the glue returned. I told them I was not considering leaving my house to find a UPS to ship it back on my dime. They said no worries. They told me to leave it outside my front door on a certain day and they arranged for UPS to pick it up, package it, and mail it back while expediting what I did order to me. I felt bad for the UPS guy as he had to do all the work so I left him a gift card for some local (Jersey Mike’s) sandwich shop for his time and inconvenience. He was so happy with me that he gave me a “code” knock so that anytime he delivers I know he has come because I hear that special knock. Next time tell them you want that option. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

What I've learned about returned items recently is that most of them go into the actual trash, so I'm trying to stop ordering from places that engage in those practices. I'm also not sitting around waiting for UPS when I--for once--have someplace to go tomorrow now that my vaccine is in full effect.

The bag that the soap bottle was shipped in inside the box was broken through, so it couldn't have been resold at any rate. It just irritated the shit out of me that I had to fight with the automatic return system twice and then by the time I got to a person, they were still trying to get the soap. JEFF BEZOS HAS A MEGAYACHT WITH A REGULAR-SIZED YACHT WITHIN IT. FOH with me returning $19 soap! I worked at Amazon for one hellish week and know for a fact they don't actually give a damn about a bottle of soap or a tube of glue. When items fall on the floor ALL THE TIME under the pod bots, they go in the garbage.

But just so y'all know, Dr. Bronner's is the best and lasts forever. I dropped my pump bottle (into which I transfer the soap) in the shower; it broke and I lost so much soap and almost cried.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Since we talk about package frustrations here often, I have another story for the annals. I'm teetering on the edge on any given day, so after two attempts to get an automatic refund for a $19 bottle of soap didn't work without Amazon demanding I return it, I took to chatting with a human (well, after I had to pass the gatekeeping chat bot) and proceeded to lose the few marbles I have left.

I know I need to stop shopping at Amazon, but...they have the lowest price on the cat litter I buy and when I get it on autoshipping, I get a discount. I also get a few other household things on autoship for a discount. We truly can't escape Amazon as it is embedded in everything now, but I'm not buying soap from them anymore--well, it was actually a third-party shipper.

Here's my fruit loops exchange because this week has been A WEEK, and Amazon asking me to return a $19 soap pushed me past my breaking point. Some of the messages post kind of out of order so it seems like I'm still talking about something they already answered.

Screenshot_20210521-133353_copy_1080x2220.png.384e420260cddd83fbfb2944b81f81eb.png

Screenshot_20210521-133401_copy_1080x2220.png.fa1eccb2b900d2b9f60ff71ac30912ea.png

Screenshot_20210521-133416_copy_1080x2220.png.6ad34e3917c5bcec96cd00ec46333f42.png

Screenshot_20210521-133615_copy_1080x2220.png.1a991ec52eb7ae299065c0db2b43c2fd.png

I'm assuming you haven't worked in customer service or even a distributor/online retailer based on you taking your anger out on someone who has absolutely no control over what happened in your situation. I've worked in customer service practically my whole working career, so maybe it's because I know what it's like to be spoken to that way, that I have sympathy on customer service reps who are just trying to help me when the tables are turned and I am the customer. Just an FYI, each company has their own policy (my company is more annoying on returns but its out of my control but I sure have customers who make it seem like I make the rules!) and Amazon is probably the easiest because you just need to repackage the return and leave it outside for UPS to pick up the next day. They bring a label and pick up the return and leave a receipt/ticket that it was picked up. It's not even a huge inconvenience to do that, but I am not in your shoes. Just my two cents..

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I'm banned from Twitter (worth it!). My peeve is that someone keeps trying to log in to my Twitter, but since I am banned, I can't get into my account to lock it down or reset the password. I've reached out to support and the only response is that my account is banned and won't be reversed. The lack of reading comprehension these bots display is really aggravating.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

I'm assuming you haven't worked in customer service or even a distributor/online retailer based on you taking your anger out on someone who has absolutely no control over what happened in your situation. I've worked in customer service practically my whole working career, so maybe it's because I know what it's like to be spoken to that way, that I have sympathy on customer service reps who are just trying to help me when the tables are turned and I am the customer. Just an FYI, each company has their own policy (my company is more annoying on returns but its out of my control but I sure have customers who make it seem like I make the rules!) and Amazon is probably the easiest because you just need to repackage the return and leave it outside for UPS to pick up the next day. They bring a label and pick up the return and leave a receipt/ticket that it was picked up. It's not even a huge inconvenience to do that, but I am not in your shoes. Just my two cents..

I have in fact worked in direct customer service, as recently as early 2020. I didn't "take out my anger" on them; I explained the issue after I'd been unable to resolve it myself. It's never the customer's responsibility to return a product that was sent by the company in error.

When we actually looked more closely at the bottle--I gave it to my boyfriend to try--the cap was cracked and broken and the inner seal had been punctured, so yeah, they wouldn't have been able to resell it anyway.

I should've looked at it more closely before I asked for the refund but I guess I know for next time. I just saw the label and knew it was wrong.

• Love 1
On 5/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, RealHousewife said:

Different terms clear up different diets. Luckily my family, friends and coworkers do care what I feel comfortable putting into my body. The only reason vegans or vegetarians bring up what we eat is because we often have to. It's not about being too precious for this world or putting anyone else down. I appreciate anyone who make an effort to eat less meat, but I never push my lifestyle on anyone. 

Same here! But there are many times when it is necessary to mention it--and those times are often to avoid causing other people extra trouble.

• Love 2

Today's peeve:  stop telling me you don't like cottage cheese in lasagna and that it's not authentic. I Do Not Care.  That's how my Mom made it and that's how her Mom made it and i already feel guilty enough because I use the no boil noodles (shh don't tell my Nana) .  And further why do people care so much about stuff like this?  If I'm not expecting you to cook it OR eat it what's your problem?

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve:  stop telling me you don't like cottage cheese in lasagna and that it's not authentic. I Do Not Care.  That's how my Mom made it and that's how her Mom made it and i already feel guilty enough because I use the no boil noodles (shh don't tell my Nana) .  And further why do people care so much about stuff like this?  If I'm not expecting you to cook it OR eat it what's your problem?

You think that's bad? Try the 'fresh bean' /'canned bean' / 'soaked dry bean' debate re homemade chili that's been brewing in my corner of the world for decades!  And even that doesn't cover which region makes the best chili! 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Fair enough. Although I've never in my life seen or heard of Cottage Cheese Lasanga before. So I'd be more puzzled if presented with it than upset. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Today's pet peeve: I hate when people say something bitchy/catty and follow it up with "sorry not sorry." The person who does this usually thinks what he or she is saying is adorable. It's usually not adorable at all.

How about the Internet thing "Fixed it".  

I hate that.  If you disagree, just disagree.  Don't mock me in the process. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Today's pet peeve: I hate when people say something bitchy/catty and follow it up with "sorry not sorry." The person who does this usually thinks what he or she is saying is adorable. It's usually not adorable at all.

Oh I think you meant adorkable. Sorry not sorry. 

• LOL 9
3 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Fair enough. Although I've never in my life seen or heard of Cottage Cheese Lasanga before. So I'd be more puzzled if presented with it than upset. 

My mother made it like that, too.

9 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

My mother made it like that, too.

Mine too.  The recipe also included American cheese. That was one of the recipe cards I didn’t make a point to save when I was cleaning out her things. 

35 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Same here! But there are many times when it is necessary to mention it--and those times are often to avoid causing other people extra trouble.

Exactly. I'd feel terrible if someone put in a lot of effort to make a dish I wouldn't eat. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

That was one of the recipe cards I didn’t make a point to save when I was cleaning out her things. 

When I was going through an index card file of recipes from my Mom's kitchen I was amazed at how many recipes called for canned cream of mushroom soup.   I know this is now considered at best lazy cooking, at worst seriously unhealthy! but dammit I remember some of those casseroles as being absolutely delicious!  Didn't keep the recipes though I must admit.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I’ve found that when Amazon makes an error, they’ve been very good about not asking for a return. When there’s a 3rd party involved, maybe not so good.  But to be fair, if I’m reading your transcript correctly, it looks like they asked if it would be possible for you to return the item, but before you could even respond, they said you didn’t need to return it. Is that not a reasonable resolution?

• Love 4

My mom made lasagna with cottage cheese too (and spaghetti pie). I don’t think that ricotta was widely available in the grocery stores in the small Midwestern city that I grew up in in the 1980s. Cottage cheese, on the other hand, was everywhere and in so many things (including jello salads).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Although I've never in my life seen or heard of Cottage Cheese Lasanga before.

I've heard of it, but never had it.  I haven't had cottage cheese since I was a kid, and I don't think I ever had it in a warm dish. But if someone handed me lasagna that had been made with it, I'd try it.

I'm not a huge fan of traditional lasagna, as I'm not big on tomato-based sauces and I don't generally like ground beef other than as a cheeseburger.  I love white sauce lasagna with sausage and spinach, kale, or chard, though.  And now I want some, but I don't think I have the noodles.

21 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

When I was going through an index card file of recipes from my Mom's kitchen I was amazed at how many recipes called for canned cream of mushroom soup. 

Yeah, sometimes I think everything made in the '70s involved canned cream of something - mushroom, chicken, broccoli, celery.

• LOL 1
32 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

My mom made lasagna with cottage cheese too (and spaghetti pie). I don’t think that ricotta was widely available in the grocery stores in the small Midwestern city that I grew up in in the 1980s. Cottage cheese, on the other hand, was everywhere and in so many things (including jello salads).

Oh that's interesting.  I wonder if that's the reason its the way my family has always made it  - mid 20th century small town (very small town)  Nova Scotia probably didn't have grocery stores stocking anything as exotic as ricotta cheese!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

What I've learned about returned items recently is that most of them go into the actual trash, so I'm trying to stop ordering from places that engage in those practices. I'm also not sitting around waiting for UPS when I--for once--have someplace to go tomorrow now that my vaccine is in full effect.

The bag that the soap bottle was shipped in inside the box was broken through, so it couldn't have been resold at any rate. It just irritated the shit out of me that I had to fight with the automatic return system twice and then by the time I got to a person, they were still trying to get the soap. JEFF BEZOS HAS A MEGAYACHT WITH A REGULAR-SIZED YACHT WITHIN IT. FOH with me returning $19 soap! I worked at Amazon for one hellish week and know for a fact they don't actually give a damn about a bottle of soap or a tube of glue. When items fall on the floor ALL THE TIME under the pod bots, they go in the garbage.

But just so y'all know, Dr. Bronner's is the best and lasts forever. I dropped my pump bottle (into which I transfer the soap) in the shower; it broke and I lost so much soap and almost cried.

I am not necessarily a fan of many of Amazon’s tactics, but for me, they have had the best customer service when it comes to almost any other outlets. They seem to be the easiest to deal with online. That being said, they have the money to provide good customer service as they have a huge share of the market. So when their customer service goes so awry, that is not good. 
I haven’t had a problem when when I had an issue with a delivery (damaged, not showing up, etc.). Part of the reason is because they are so huge, they can absorb losses. 
I haven’t had an issue with returning an item myself, but the writing is in the clouds.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve found that when Amazon makes an error, they’ve been very good about not asking for a return. When there’s a 3rd party involved, maybe not so good.  But to be fair, if I’m reading your transcript correctly, it looks like they asked if it would be possible for you to return the item, but before you could even respond, they said you didn’t need to return it. Is that not a reasonable resolution?

I mentioned originally that the comments didn't post in order. I was also bounced out of the chat initially before I could fully state my issue because I guess I took too long to type it. And again, this was my third attempt to resolve the issue.

I didn't realize *my* peeves weren't the acceptable kind to discuss here. You don't have to report me; I'll take a self-imposed break.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I've had a couple problems with Amazon items  broken in shipment. Through the Chat app and direct conversation have gotten refunds with the direction to donate item or discard, since they were both broken and spilled all over, not even a choice...

Recently tried an order from Boxed.com. Very badly packed, 2 bottles of pizza sauce wrapped in a cardboard sheaf, broken over everything in the box...very poor packing... Some of their prices are good but I would never order anything liquid from them again. Package very bad...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Exactly. I'd feel terrible if someone put in a lot of effort to make a dish I wouldn't eat. 

Sometimes I just do it if it’s just a little butter or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan or even a small amount of milk or cream. For whatever reason, sometimes people don’t get the “no animal products” part of being vegan. I’m not going to eat actual meat or other super-obvious things, but if they thought they were accommodating my “weird” diet and did try, I can probably just deal with it enough to not make anyone feel bad. I don’t like it, but sometimes it’s just the easiest way.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Sometimes I just do it if it’s just a little butter or a sprinkle of grated Parmesan or even a small amount of milk or cream. For whatever reason, sometimes people don’t get the “no animal products” part of being vegan. I’m not going to eat actual meat or other super-obvious things, but if they thought they were accommodating my “weird” diet and did try, I can probably just deal with it enough to not make anyone feel bad. I don’t like it, but sometimes it’s just the easiest way.

Same! Honestly, this is one reason I'm not a strict vegan. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I mentioned originally that the comments didn't post in order. I was also bounced out of the chat initially before I could fully state my issue because I guess I took too long to type it. And again, this was my third attempt to resolve the issue.

I didn't realize *my* peeves weren't the acceptable kind to discuss here. You don't have to report me; I'll take a self-imposed break.

It was a sincere question and I almost didn't post it because I was afraid it would come off wrong (as in, "your peeve doesn't matter" when I was trying to say "tell me more"), but I honestly thought I was missing something.  Obviously I was.  Not sure why any of this would rise to the level of anyone reporting anyone.  Peace?

• Love 4
On 5/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, bilgistic said:

I've discussed at length how much I hate our upstairs neighbors. Tonight, they were jumping/stomping around so much that keepsakes fell off a shelf in our kitchen. They are out of control. The toddler runs (stomps) around squealing until past 1:00am. We've talked to the leasing office time after time. We've left the neighbors notes. We've talked to them. Nothing we do helps. It's 11:00 here and it's going on now--stomping/jumping/squealing. Put the kid to bed, for fuck's sake! I refuse to call the police on them because I'm not going to be that white lady (they are Latino), but what can I do, besides bang on the ceiling with a broom, which quiets them down for approximately 2.7 minutes?

Move.  I’ve had to move because of barking dogs in the driveway next to ours.  I know it’s a hassle, plus you don’t know what you will get too.  It always something, and I can’t stand noise.  People are not considerate either.  Whether you live in a house or an apartment, it’s the same.

• Love 6

Trying to make this as brief as possible...how do I politely remind the guy who cuts my lawn to do the narrow strip between my house and his uncle's fence? I've already mentioned it once.

Longer version, I hired my neighbor's nephew, who does landscaping and general yard stuff, to prep my garden beds and everything was good. I relayed his offer to cut the grass every 2 weeks for a certain sum, which he has done twice, cleared the cuttings, used a strimmer on the edges of the beds. Great! Except he's cut the front yard and nothing else.

There is no grass to speak of in the backyard but it is now a jungle thanks to an invasive weed from the neighbor on the other side because he didn't mow back there at all. There is also a very narrow strip of grass along the side of the house. It's wide enough to take a mower but it's also uneven and it would certainly be fine to use a strimmer instead.

I've mentioned both of these to him and he said he'd take of it but nothing has happened. It's awkward not only because he's my neighbor's nephew but also because I'm not paying himself, I'm conveying cash from my landlord. I hate confrontation so I'll use my brand new hedge clippers to cut down the weed, but I can't do the side bit.

I sort of understand not doing the back because it really is dead space, but the side of the house? Why would that not be included?

So my peeve is having to deal with other people, and those people not keeping their word.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, ABay said:

Trying to make this as brief as possible...how do I politely remind the guy who cuts my lawn to do the narrow strip between my house and his uncle's fence? I've already mentioned it once.

Longer version, I hired my neighbor's nephew, who does landscaping and general yard stuff, to prep my garden beds and everything was good. I relayed his offer to cut the grass every 2 weeks for a certain sum, which he has done twice, cleared the cuttings, used a strimmer on the edges of the beds. Great! Except he's cut the front yard and nothing else.

There is no grass to speak of in the backyard but it is now a jungle thanks to an invasive weed from the neighbor on the other side because he didn't mow back there at all. There is also a very narrow strip of grass along the side of the house. It's wide enough to take a mower but it's also uneven and it would certainly be fine to use a strimmer instead.

I've mentioned both of these to him and he said he'd take of it but nothing has happened. It's awkward not only because he's my neighbor's nephew but also because I'm not paying himself, I'm conveying cash from my landlord. I hate confrontation so I'll use my brand new hedge clippers to cut down the weed, but I can't do the side bit.

I sort of understand not doing the back because it really is dead space, but the side of the house? Why would that not be included?

So my peeve is having to deal with other people, and those people not keeping their word.

These landscapers do the minimum.  Me or my husband have to stand by the door to make sure they blow the whole patio.  If we don’t stand there, they leave the leaves behind our swing every time.  You have to stand there like a cop and direct whoever is doing the job.  Very annoying.  The bad part is .. you don’t know when they are coming exactly.

• Love 3
(edited)

My landscapers do a good job, but somehow always show up when I’m on a conference call. If I had only one a week they would still show up in the middle of it. Also my office window looks out onto the back and side yard, so I’m usually startled when one of them walks by. I will be forever happy that they built my patio last year though; the crew did any amazing job.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 5

My pet peeve every time we have a long week-end: the stores are closed for one day, one day and yet people are stocking up as if war is about to be declared.  It's an interesting insight into human nature I guess but it's also just plain weird.  Especially now that we are still in lockdown and it's not like anyone is hosting parties or heading out for a camping week-end.  Because of course we're all following the rules.  Right???

• Love 7
6 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My pet peeve every time we have a long week-end: the stores are closed for one day, one day and yet people are stocking up as if war is about to be declared.  It's an interesting insight into human nature I guess but it's also just plain weird.  Especially now that we are still in lockdown and it's not like anyone is hosting parties or heading out for a camping week-end.  Because of course we're all following the rules.  Right???

Everyone is in stores buying because there’s no place else to go.  We still don’t go to restaurants, or the kids, etc.  it’s an out for us like we went somewhere.  Meanwhile, our freezer is full.  How much do two people need?  Now, we are on the ice cream kick with sugar cones.  Yikes.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

Everyone is in stores buying because there’s no place else to go.  We still don’t go to restaurants, or the kids, etc.  it’s an out for us like we went somewhere.

I know people who, ever since the pandemic happened. have had their groceries delivered.  If I didn't have groceries to do and prescriptions to pick up I'd never go anywhere!

• Love 1