Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, PRgal said:

LOL.  I'm sure you wouldn't fare well in some Asian countries.  My dad went on a business trip to South Korea in the early 2000s and respect of hierarchy was still BIG (and likely still is today) then.  He was meeting with the company's CEO and non-executives, would step out of the elevator if they were to see the CEO enter, with or without guests.  My dad, who grew up in Hong Kong, had never seen that anywhere before.

The chances of me ever being in that situation are slim to none, and slim is half way out the door.

That being said, there is a time and place for formality and what I do, my position and my company when working with someone on the same level as me (a peer) is not it.

My peeve isn't being called it, to start. My peeve is that people keep doing it after I've asked them not to, because it's "polite". No, the polite thing is to call me by the name I've asked you to. 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

The chances of me ever being in that situation are slim to none, and slim is half way out the door.

That being said, there is a time and place for formality and what I do, my position and my company when working with someone on the same level as me (a peer) is not it.

My peeve isn't being called it, to start. My peeve is that people keep doing it after I've asked them not to, because it's "polite". No, the polite thing is to call me by the name I've asked you to. 

I’m not a fan of being called “Cindy,” but my son’s nanny calls me that.  I think it’s because she heard my parents call me Cindy a few times.  I’ve never corrected her, but only because her English isn’t great and correcting her now would only lead to resentment. 

For me, at least, I use the more formal addresses for people I am not that familiar with at work. For instance, my supervisor last year I called her "Ms. _____." This year because I;m more familiar with her I call her by her first name. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

This is a work culture or personal thing.

If its happening to everyone then its a work culture thing.  If its just you then they are purposefully being assholes and using a Southerner stereotype to get away with it.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

This is a work culture or personal thing.

If its happening to everyone then its a work culture thing.  If its just you then they are purposefully being assholes and using a Southerner stereotype to get away with it.

It's a couple people and not a "work thing". I don't even think they're being assholes about it or using it in a passive aggressive way. I just can't stand it and I think it's rude to keep doing it. Make an effort, dude. You know I don't like it. 

I'm also talking about a peer. I'm not in a position over them nor are they over me. 

In an unrelated peeve, my parents never take my advice then call to complain when things don't work out. My parents are having sushi for dinner tonight. I suggested they call in around 430 or 5 because it's going to be really busy. I just got a call (9pm here / 6pm there) "they aren't taking any more take out orders because they are two hours behind so we're going to go see how long the wait is". I suggested they get take out from somewhere more local and get sushi tomorrow but nope. My mom is dragging my dad down there and I already know it's going to be a 2 hour wait. And I don't want to hear about it. Period. 

This is a very common occurrence. I suggest X because I know from experience that X is a solid plan. They don't take that plan then bitch about it. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 1

My peeve with regard to names is people using a shortened form of your name before they even know what you prefer to be called.  I am looking squarely at my husband here.  If he meets someone named Robert he will immediately address them as Bob, William becomes Bill, well you get the idea.  First even if they don't go by their full name there are usually at least a few variations of names.  But that aside, don't assume.  Just don't.

31 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

In an unrelated peeve, my parents never take my advice then call to complain when things don't work out.

So it's not just me?  I swear I could be the Chief Doctor of the World and my parents would still never listen to me if I said "Hmm, I think we need to go the hospital for this."

• Love 4
(edited)
41 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

So it's not just me?  I swear I could be the Chief Doctor of the World and my parents would still never listen to me if I said "Hmm, I think we need to go the hospital for this."

While you're gushing blood from your eyes.

Edited by theredhead77
I know the difference between your and you're!
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I cannot stand being called "Ms. firstname" or "Ms. lastname" in a professional setting. It drives me fucking bonkers. We are coworkers, stop prefacing my name with some antiquated title under the guise of manners. Once I tell you to call me by my first name it's rude to ignore that and continue to call me "Ms. first name" or "Ms. lastname" in the name of "manners". Knock that shit off. I have a first name. I've asked you to use it. Use it.

I wouldn't like it in a personal setting either but thankfully that situation has yet to arise. 

When I lived in Raleigh, I loved it when little southern kids called me Miss Ann. A few native NC associates called me that once in a while. Coming from NYS, I found it kinda sweet and old fashioned (but my boss never called me anything but my first name, thank goodness!)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

When I lived in Raleigh, I loved it when little southern kids called me Miss Ann. A few native NC associates called me that once in a while. Coming from NYS, I found it kinda sweet and old fashioned (but my boss never called me anything but my first name, thank goodness!)

I haven't run into that with any little kids yet. My friends know me well enough to know that I can't stand it BUT they also know I'd respect their parenting choices for what they want their kids to call their adult friends. Growing up I had two aunts that I'll call Aunt A and Aunt T and she also had her BFF E. It took me until I was an adult to figure out that Aunt A and Aunt T were not actually related to us at all. My mom knew T for decades and my dad independently knew T's brother, long before they (my parents) started even dating.

For those waiting for an update on the dinner situation.... my mom called me a couple hours later. Their timing was perfect and they got front row parking (courtesy of my dad's DP status) and there was no wait. I'm super thrilled that my mom's Mother's Day Dinner went off so well and that I don't have to listen to her bitch about it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

For those waiting for an update on the dinner situation.... my mom called me a couple hours later. Their timing was perfect and they got front row parking (courtesy of my dad's DP status) and there was no wait. I'm super thrilled that my mom's Mother's Day Dinner went off so well and that I don't have to listen to her bitch about it.

Win win!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Speaking of dinners I have a peeve with menus that don't describe what a dish is. Some menus go for a really minimalist look but I want to know what kind of dressing, sauce, spices, etc are on a dish before I order.

This.  I also dislike mismatched menus (as in something being on the DoorDash menu but not in UberEats). 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Speaking of dinners I have a peeve with menus that don't describe what a dish is. Some menus go for a really minimalist look but I want to know what kind of dressing, sauce, spices, etc are on a dish before I order.

Not long ago I ordered Huevos Rancheros and it came with shredded beef. I had my friend double check the menu to make sure I didn't mis-read. Nope, it described the tortillas, the beans and salsa, and how the egg would be cooked. No mention of beef. Luckily the only reason I don't eat meat is because I don't really like it, so it wasn't that big of a deal. But it was a weird surprise to chew and wonder what the heck was in my mouth! So I guess my peeve would be a menu that does describe the dish, but leaves out important information!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/9/2021 at 4:21 PM, theredhead77 said:

Oh, I am 110% still in hell (aka GA).

I have lived in Metro Atlanta for 25 years. Many things I like, other things are annoying. I am sad that your experience is living in hell. Mine has had a few elements of hell, like everywhere else I have lived. The culture shock was huge moving to Georgia.

I agree that the whole calling someone in the workplace by Mr., Miss, etc. and last name is very outdated and does create a power imbalance. I’m not from Georgia (New Mexico, Texas, Missouri and then Georgia). I do think the referring to coworkers that way is beyond outdated (I also lived through a time in the late 1980s when I worked weekend shift at a data center. Since I was a manager I was required to dress in professional attire. It’s a weekend shift and no outside people are allowed in. Also, I often had to pull up floor tiles to get to cables.) We were also expected to call certain levels of management Mr. or Ms.

I do think many people in Georgia are brought up in a way where you call women ma’am and don’t use the first name of certain persons. I think it is intended to convey respect, but many of them are idiots.

When I worked for the State of Georgia in the mid 2000’s a lot of that had fallen by the wayside. So it makes me sad, as I am an organizational psychologist, that your company is still so old school.

Tangentially related: I had a boss who was a total idiot and just plain lazy. He was also a misogynistic jerk. He also spoke in the third person, one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. One day, he said to me Ms. “StatsQueen” I replied that is “Doctor StatsQueen”.  What an idiot. I think he is now a life coach 🤣🤣🤣

image.png

40 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Not long ago I ordered Huevos Rancheros and it came with shredded beef.

That’s just plain wrong.

Edited by Stats Queen
Cant delete than PNG
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

When I worked for the State of Georgia in the mid 2000’s a lot of that had fallen by the wayside. So it makes me sad, as I am an organizational psychologist, that your company is still so old school.

It's not a company thing. It's a couple of people and I'm sure it's a very hard habit for them to break but dude, stop. Thought today I went to the eye doctor and the doctor called me Ms. [First name]. I did not hesitate to say "no, just Name, please". We had a nice chat about it during the exam.

And also I know I'd probably acclimate more if I stopped thinking of this place as hell. I'm so homesick and miss my parents and friends so much. It's already hard to make friends as an adult and the pandemic and spending most of 2020 alone didn't help

20 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Not long ago I ordered Huevos Rancheros and it came with shredded beef. I had my friend double check the menu to make sure I didn't mis-read. Nope, it described the tortillas, the beans and salsa, and how the egg would be cooked. No mention of beef. Luckily the only reason I don't eat meat is because I don't really like it, so it wasn't that big of a deal. But it was a weird surprise to chew and wonder what the heck was in my mouth! So I guess my peeve would be a menu that does describe the dish, but leaves out important information!

That's so strange [and wrong] that it sounds like it was a kitchen mistake.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It certainly could have been. Everyone seemed scattered even though there were only a few people there. The whole experience was disappointing.

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
15 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It's not a company thing. It's a couple of people and I'm sure it's a very hard habit for them to break but dude, stop. Thought today I went to the eye doctor and the doctor called me Ms. [First name]. I did not hesitate to say "no, just Name, please". We had a nice chat about it during the exam.

And also I know I'd probably acclimate more if I stopped thinking of this place as hell. I'm so homesick and miss my parents and friends so much. It's already hard to make friends as an adult and the pandemic and spending most of 2020 alone didn't help

You recently moved and a pandemic and then away from loved ones - that’s a lot. 
After grad school, it took me several years to find good friends in Atlanta. Not the easiest place to make connections and find friends. But once you do…

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I thought the same thing, but then I did a Google search for "huevos rancheros with beef" and several recipes popped up!  Ground beef, sliced steak, beef sausage ... apparently people do this.  It's still very odd to not note it on the menu!  If that is how it's served there, why would they describe the traditional ingredients, yet not even mention the addition of an unexpected "bonus"?  That circles me back around to thinking maybe it was a mistake.

22 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

And also I know I'd probably acclimate more if I stopped thinking of this place as hell.

I feel for you, because I doubt I'd be able to adjust, either.  But if you're going to stay, I hope you find a way to do that.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2021 at 7:47 PM, RealHousewife said:

That's never bothered me, but what does is when folks say they're vegan or vegetarian except for fish, or they still eat chicken now and then. Call yourself a pescatarian or say you don't eat a lot of meat. As a vegetarian, it is annoying when people expect me to still eat animals. 

they're called flexatarians they eat meat now and then .

• Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I avoid the various dietary/food preferences labels and just describe myself as a picky eater. I will not eat seafood at all. I sometimes eat meat, but occasionally will go for a few weeks without any. I like some fruits and vegetables, but often can’t stand popular fruits such as strawberries. At the same time, I can usually find something tolerable at most restaurants or at a party hosted by family or friends, so I don’t feel like my food preferences cause anyone any real problems. 

• Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

I like some fruits and vegetables, but often can’t stand popular fruits such as strawberries.

Bouncing off this to bring up another peeve of mine - people who insist on correcting people when they call a strawberry a berry or a tomato a vegetable - or the one that really gets me cross a peanut a nut.  There is such a thing as common usage - and we all know what we mean - and arrgh, is this done so people can show off or what?  And at the end of the day does it really matter?  And yet I have friends who HAVE to correct me anytime they hear me say something they perceive as wrong in this regard.  Whatever.  Just stop it!  There, I feel better now 🙃.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

I'm allergic to a lot of seafood, so I just avoid it altogether. I don't mind going out with friends who eat seafood, inevitably almost all seafood places have chicken or steak or a salad I enjoy, but I have come across quite a few people who either question if I'm really allergic or just don't like it, or question which types of seafood I'm allergic to. I'm lucky enough to not get breathing issues with my allergy but I swell up like a balloon and end up covered in hives. I've learned the hard way I'm allergic to shrimp, lobster, swordfish, and a few others, and that's when I gave up anything water-based at all. I had one guy once start listing all different kinds of fish and other seafood in an attempt to see if I had tried them and "how did I know I was allergic to them if I hadn't tried all of them?" Luckily, my friend broke up with that jackass shortly after and I never saw him again. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Bouncing off this to bring up another peeve of mine - people who insist on correcting people when they call a strawberry a berry or a tomato a vegetable - or the one that really gets me cross a peanut a nut.  There is such a thing as common usage - and we all know what we mean - and arrgh, is this done so people can show off or what?  And at the end of the day does it really matter?  And yet I have friends who HAVE to correct me anytime they hear me say something they perceive as wrong in this regard.  Whatever.  Just stop it!  There, I feel better now 🙃.

I feel you fellow picky eater. I've gone to dinner parties and eaten nothing but black olives and bread. Which brings me to another peeve...

I  had one guy once start listing all different kinds of fish and other seafood in an attempt to see if I had tried them and "how did I know I was allergic to them if I hadn't tried all of them?" Luckily, my friend broke up with that jackass shortly after and I never saw him again. 

Why do people have to get in your face about what you eat? Jeez, just leave people alone.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

They're just being pedantic bores. Which reminds me of a funny line from The Big Bang Theory, "It's wrong to say an apple is an orange. It's wronger to say that an apple is a suspension bridge."

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Pedantic Bore here (2nd class!)

It's a discussion between Sheldon and Stuart.   Stuart says that something is very wrong and Sheldon snarks that there is only right and wrong.  And then Stuart skewers him with:

"To say a tomato is a vegetable is wrong.  To say a tomato is a suspension bridge is very wrong."

However, they are both wrong because a tomato is a vegetable.  My pet peeve is that people don't understand that vegetables are constructs - people define what items are vegetables and they include roots (potatoes), stems (celery), leaves (spinach), flowers (artichokes), and the fruiting bodies of plants (tomatoes).  Botanically tomatoes are berries, which are fruiting bodies.  But tomatoes are always vegetables because we all decided that they were.

If this seems familiar to you, it's the same rant I posted over the weekend on the Top Chef forum.

And I still hate ants.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, emma675 said:

I'm allergic to a lot of seafood, so I just avoid it altogether. I don't mind going out with friends who eat seafood, inevitably almost all seafood places have chicken or steak or a salad I enjoy, but I have come across quite a few people who either question if I'm really allergic or just don't like it, or question which types of seafood I'm allergic to. I'm lucky enough to not get breathing issues with my allergy but I swell up like a balloon and end up covered in hives. I've learned the hard way I'm allergic to shrimp, lobster, swordfish, and a few others, and that's when I gave up anything water-based at all. I had one guy once start listing all different kinds of fish and other seafood in an attempt to see if I had tried them and "how did I know I was allergic to them if I hadn't tried all of them?" Luckily, my friend broke up with that jackass shortly after and I never saw him again. 

I’m not allergic to seafood, but I got so tired of people telling me to try their fish because it’s not fishy or I’ll love it the way they cook it. So I just tell everyone I’m allergic. I used to work with ESL students and I can say I can’t eat fish in 6 foreign languages now. It’s just strange how protective people are of seafood.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, sealit said:

I’m not allergic to seafood, but I got so tired of people telling me to try their fish because it’s not fishy or I’ll love it the way they cook it. So I just tell everyone I’m allergic. I used to work with ESL students and I can say I can’t eat fish in 6 foreign languages now. It’s just strange how protective people are of seafood.

I am also not a fish eater.  I have zero issues with other seafood, but I cannot abide the texture of fish.  Meat is not supposed to be flaky.  I have heard it all over the years and people still insist that if I only tried this fish, or this preparation then I will magically be able to like it.  Nope, the fish is still flaky and I gag.  It's the only protein I will not eat.  I will try almost anything else.  I'm really not that picky of an eater and can usually find something to eat wherever I am.  Unless the only option is fish with Pico de Gallo (cilantro is the devil's weed, and I cannot eat raw onions). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

@MargeGundersonthat does nothing for me. I somehow* made it out of that trend unscathed.

*I don't have kids, so it made it easier to avoid.

I don't have them, either, so I've been generally lucky to avoid that stuff as well. I have heard "Baby Shark", though-a few years back, when I was doing some temp work at a tax place, I was working there one Saturday and the mall was having some event for kids in the main area of the building. They played music, including "Baby Shark", and from where I was in the mall I could hear it. 

My heart goes out to any parents who've had to put up with that song :p. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I feel a bit bad complaining about this, because I love my friends who do it. To be honest, I don't like receiving texts of TikTok or different videos. I usually don't find them funny or entertaining, and it feels like homework watching them. The short TikTok videos aren't too bad, but sometimes I'll get videos that are longer. 

• Love 4

I sing the Baby Shark song to my cat, who is named Parker but for the song is Baby Park. She loves it (she is a cat with questionable taste). 

My actual peeve - service providers who drop off the face of the earth. I need a few windows replaced. If I do get a call back (which is rare), there isn’t any follow up to that call. If you don’t want my business for whatever reason (too busy, project too small), tell me that upfront so I don’t waste more of my time. Don’t tell me you will call me the next day to arrange measuring my windows, then never return my emails or calls. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I feel a bit bad complaining about this, because I love my friends who do it. To be honest, I don't like receiving texts of TikTok or different videos. I usually don't find them funny or entertaining, and it feels like homework watching them. The short TikTok videos aren't too bad, but sometimes I'll get videos that are longer. 

I don't mind them too overly much except that they end so quickly and that cat video that made me laugh immediately changes to some distressing video before I can close it out.  

• Love 2
(edited)
29 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I sing the Baby Shark song to my cat, who is named Parker but for the song is Baby Park. She loves it (she is a cat with questionable taste). 

I sing Prisoner of Society to my cats. Obviously changing the lyrics to " 'cause I'm a CAT, and I know everything so I meow BACK 'cause I'm not listening to anything you say" and "And if you count to three (meow meow meow), you'll see there's an emergency, you'll see I'm out of fooood and a prisoner of your houseeeeee". My BFF and I made up our lyrics 20 years ago and still sing them instead of the actual lyrics. Her husband thinks we're weird (he's right).

My actual peeve - service providers who drop off the face of the earth. I need a few windows replaced. If I do get a call back (which is rare), there isn’t any follow up to that call. If you don’t want my business for whatever reason (too busy, project too small), tell me that upfront so I don’t waste more of my time. Don’t tell me you will call me the next day to arrange measuring my windows, then never return my emails or calls. 

Dude. I'm trying to find a new doctor and am running into this issue. No one answers, I leave a message but one is calling me back.

Edited by theredhead77
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’ve seen a lot of people complain about FedEx, but UPS (not to be confused with USPS) is somehow always the delivery service I have problems with. In the last year, it’s been: Package just disappeared off the face of the planet while in transit, twice (2 completely different orders). Only box 1 of a 2-box item arrived (the table top without the legs and hardware isn’t going to do me much good). 

Today is doubly irritating. Package A is a couple of heavy boxes of materials for replacing my door molding upstairs. Got the “track your delivery on a live map” notification this morning. Four hours ago the live map showed the delivery truck about two streets over and six blocks away from my house. Since then, the truck has left my neighborhood entirely, gone to a small town down the road, and is only now one street over and a few blocks away. What sense does it make to have the same delivery truck go into a subdivision and deliver some stuff, leave and go 10 miles down the highway, and then return hours later to the same subdivision?

Package A arrived at the local distribution center around 5am and was loaded onto a delivery truck around 6:15am. Package B is a small box; it arrived at the local distribution center around 4am. It did not get loaded onto a delivery truck, and the most recent notification says it won’t be delivered until tomorrow. I just don’t see how this makes sense, that the package that made it to the distribution center later gets delivered today, while the one that got there later is on the delivery truck. 

Obviously the timing on the delivery of these two packages isn’t a real problem, but it does make me question their efficiency. Coupled with the other problems I have encountered with them over the past few years, they will not ever be my first choice for shipping things. I understand others may have had very different experiences. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, BookWoman56 said:

I’ve seen a lot of people complain about FedEx, but UPS (not to be confused with USPS) is somehow always the delivery service I have problems with.

My experience mirrors yours exactly. I never, ever ship out anything via UPS because almost every time something comes to me via UPS I get to watch the package wander around the USA whilst tracking it on line. I live in California and one time a package from within California via UPS went first to Pennsylvania and then to Arizona, back to the East Coast before finally making its way back to Cali. Its really unfortunate because when I lived in the mountains our UPS delivery guy was the *best*, wading through snow and mud to deliver packages no matter what - not his fault the overall system seemed to be broke.

Here is my pet peeve for the day: I work at a food pantry three days a week, and on Mondays I team with a young man to take three fairly heavy bags of groceries out to people's cars (since the Covid - before that they could come get stuff and haul it themselves). We pack one bag of non-perishable stuff (cereal, pasta, sauce, tuna...), one bag of fresh fruits and vegies, and one bag with meat/chicken/fish, eggs, butter, cheese and bread and dessert. Due to sanitary regulations we cannot take food back once a client has touched it so if people indicate they don't like this or that, or can't eat this or that we just tell them to pass it on to someone else.

Lately there are more and more people driving up and as we approach the car we get told "I can only eat organic vegetables" and/or "I don't eat fish - could you get me some steak or ground beef instead?" and/or "I need gluten free bread, not the regular kind". Jeez, people - if you are hungry enough to be coming to a food bank for free food, take what you are given, eat what you can, pass along the other stuff and be grateful! One passive aggressive type told me Monday afternoon (because I could not guarantee that the vegies were organic) "Oh, well, I guess I will just have to go without...". Yes, yes, you will.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, isalicat said:

My experience mirrors yours exactly. I never, ever ship out anything via UPS because almost every time something comes to me via UPS I get to watch the package wander around the USA whilst tracking it on line. I live in California and one time a package from within California via UPS went first to Pennsylvania and then to Arizona, back to the East Coast before finally making its way back to Cali. Its really unfortunate because when I lived in the mountains our UPS delivery guy was the *best*, wading through snow and mud to deliver packages no matter what - not his fault the overall system seemed to be broke.

Here is my pet peeve for the day: I work at a food pantry three days a week, and on Mondays I team with a young man to take three fairly heavy bags of groceries out to people's cars (since the Covid - before that they could come get stuff and haul it themselves). We pack one bag of non-perishable stuff (cereal, pasta, sauce, tuna...), one bag of fresh fruits and vegies, and one bag with meat/chicken/fish, eggs, butter, cheese and bread and dessert. Due to sanitary regulations we cannot take food back once a client has touched it so if people indicate they don't like this or that, or can't eat this or that we just tell them to pass it on to someone else.

Lately there are more and more people driving up and as we approach the car we get told "I can only eat organic vegetables" and/or "I don't eat fish - could you get me some steak or ground beef instead?" and/or "I need gluten free bread, not the regular kind". Jeez, people - if you are hungry enough to be coming to a food bank for free food, take what you are given, eat what you can, pass along the other stuff and be grateful! One passive aggressive type told me Monday afternoon (because I could not guarantee that the vegies were organic) "Oh, well, I guess I will just have to go without...". Yes, yes, you will.

Some people are entitled and selfish. Of course they don't want to share with others. A simple thank would be nice.

• Love 3
(edited)

Hoarding and panic buying. I live in an area that is impacted by the Colonial Pipeline ransomware attack. As a result people have completely lost their mind and are panic buying gas. Which means there is a pretty big gas shortage because assholes are filling multiple gas cans. Colonial Pipeline says they are aiming to have the line back on by Friday. Federal and State governments are working to bring gas in from other states, if needed. If everyone just kept their shit together there would be no shortage, no 2 hour lines, no fights at the pump, etc...

Gas isn't toilet paper. If you store it improperly it's going to explode.

**EDIT - The news literally just reported the pipeline is back on - just 10 or so minutes after I posted this**

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 17
47 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Hoarding and panic buying. I live in an area that is impacted by the Colonial Pipeline ransomware attack. As a result people have completely lost their mind and are panic buying gas. Which means there is a pretty big gas shortage because assholes are filling multiple gas cans. Colonial Pipeline says they are aiming to have the line back on by Friday. Federal and State governments are working to bring gas in from other states, if needed. If everyone just kept their shit together there would be no shortage, no 2 hour lines, no fights at the pump, etc...

Gas isn't toilet paper. If you store it improperly it's going to explode.

**EDIT - The news literally just reported the pipeline is back on - just 10 or so minutes after I posted this**

And this is why we can’t have nice things. People ruin everything.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6