Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve - well an ongoing peeve: contractors who quote you a price, that you agree to and then never show up.  Since we bought our house this has now happened 3 times.  I don't know if they decide they underbid and don't have the guts to come back to us and tell us this - and at least give us a chance to agree to a higher price - or if they are too busy and our job falls through the cracks or if this is what contractors are like in a small town (never had this issue in the Big City).  Whatever the reason I am beyond fed up now.  

Two suggestions: Check out the contractor on Yelp or some other public forum before you even get the quote. Once you get the quote and have arranged for the work to be done on a specific day/time, ask for references (just someone they have done similar work for that will vouch for their reliability etc.). If they won't give you a reference, then you already know there is something fishy and can move on...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Explain this please.  I see people say this occasionally, but I don't see the difference.  Don't you still have to perform housekeeping on that email acct. as well?  Still have to delete/unsubscribe/etc., right?  What am I missing?

The point is that the Marketing Dept. holds us hostage in order to become a potential customer, which does not breed goodwill, nor does it compel me to want to be a customer.

Circular logic.

Well, I don't really maintain this email account unless I happen to buy something from one of those pages, in which case, I'll track my purchase from there but basically, I just shitcan it all once every couple of weeks.  

It's just a means to keep my real email account clean and clutter free.  

OH!  I also will look in there to see if there are any coupons available prior to making a purchase.  

Edited by Callietwo
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve - well an ongoing peeve: contractors who quote you a price, that you agree to and then never show up.  Since we bought our house this has now happened 3 times.  I don't know if they decide they underbid and don't have the guts to come back to us and tell us this - and at least give us a chance to agree to a higher price - or if they are too busy and our job falls through the cracks or if this is what contractors are like in a small town (never had this issue in the Big City).  Whatever the reason I am beyond fed up now.  

Any chance these were insulation contractors? This happened to me literally every time I tried to book someone to reinsulate my attic. Haven't had issues with other contractors though.

2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Are you signed up with NextDoor? This is a good place to get information in your neighborhood from other people who live there. You can post asking for recommendations or do a search for businesses in your area, so you'll know if the contractor is reliable or not.

• Love 6
On 4/24/2021 at 3:54 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have the same problem-I’ve had my blood drawn so many times even fisting and pumping my hand doesn’t help. But one of my oncologist nurses suggested something that helped me. Drinking lots of water before going to the doctor when I need blood drawn. It “plumps” the veins. But sometimes it doesn’t and I remember how they had to stick me from the back of my hand where the veins are visible. Thankfully I only had to suffer through that option once. It’s very rare that I’ve had someone stick me and I barely felt it. Hence me digging my nails into my palm of the opposite arm and looking away and holding my breath.

I generally warn anyone attempting to draw blood that my veins are thin, roll, and collapse at the slightest provocation. This is usually followed by the discussion about which arm to use, which consists of me telling them the left arm is better, them looking at my left arm and informing me the right arm MUST be better, and then shocked Pikachu face when they discover I was correct. 

Although I haven’t been able to do it in a while, I used to donate platelets regularly, and much preferred their method of finding a vein. They would always jab my arm with a local anesthetic prior to sticking me, so even if it took a few tries, I wasn’t in pain. 

Once in a great while, a regular medical tech who wants to draw blood will listen to my warnings, and go find a more experienced person. During the birth of my daughter, the regular tech and a couple of other people gave up and summoned the person who normally sticks babies. 

• Love 3

There is a snake in a bathtub in the chit chat topic.  What is the mechanism to make that go away?

Random snake pictures on the internet is among my least favorite thing to be surprised by on the internet.

We need to respect the childhood traumas which include

• baby taken to see Jaws
  • steps on baby copperhead barefoot
  • f$%^, its a bat
  • here's your brother's pet tarantula
  • here's your brother's pet snake
  • voice mail "the snake is lose in the house"
Edited by ParadoxLost
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

There is a snake in a bathtub in the chit chat topic.  What is the mechanism to make that go away?

Random snake pictures on the internet is among my least favorite thing to be surprised by on the internet.

We need to respect the childhood traumas which include

• baby taken to see Jaws
  • steps on baby copperhead barefoot
  • f$%^, its a bat
  • here's your brother's pet tarantula
  • here's your brother's pet snake
  • voice mail "the snake is lose in the house"

I must have missed it, but thank goodness! Ugh, that's my # internet pet peeve too. People who don't have the trauma just don't understand. 😰 Yes, even pictures freak me out. I wish they didn't, but they do. 

• Love 2

My peeve today: People who respond to questions on product reviews when they have nothing of value to contribute.

I was looking for a treadmill mat to protect my carpet. Because I have to click to expand a topic to get all the answers, then click back (on a slow device), I wasted time on these and other gems: 

Will this mat stain my carpet?  "I don't know, I use mine on a concrete garage floor."  "Probably not, but I've only had it a week."  "It's called a 'treadmill mat,' so it shouldn't."  "Ours is from a different manufacturer, but we haven't had a problem."  "Hasn't stained our wood laminate."  "Bought a yoga mat from this brand last year. Love it!" and  "Not knowing what color your carpet is, I couldn't say."

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

My peeve today: People who respond to questions on product reviews when they have nothing of value to contribute.

I was looking for a treadmill mat to protect my carpet. Because I have to click to expand a topic to get all the answers, then click back (on a slow device), I wasted time on these and other gems: 

Will this mat stain my carpet?  "I don't know, I use mine on a concrete garage floor."  "Probably not, but I've only had it a week."  "It's called a 'treadmill mat,' so it shouldn't."  "Ours is from a different manufacturer, but we haven't had a problem."  "Hasn't stained our wood laminate."  "Bought a yoga mat from this brand last year. Love it!" and  "Not knowing what color your carpet is, I couldn't say."

“I don’t know I haven’t received mine yet.”

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

This is because once you buy something, you get inundated with emails from the company asking you to help someone who has a question about said thing, repeatedly.  

They don't seem to stop until you answer.

Edited by Callietwo
  • Love 2

Peeve today.  I was dying for a taco salad from Taco Bell.  I love the shell.  Went.  No more taco salads.  They took the shell away.  They are competing with Chipotle.  Same with Panera’s.  They took away the 2 for 1 Italian sandwich you get with the soup.  Anything good, they take away.  So pissed.

3 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Peeve today.  I was dying for a taco salad from Taco Bell.  I love the shell.  Went.  No more taco salads.  They took the shell away.  They are competing with Chipotle.  Same with Panera’s.  They took away the 2 for 1 Italian sandwich you get with the soup.  Anything good, they take away.  So pissed.

Well, shoot, now I want taco salad too! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

There used to be a thing called Micky D. I was addicted to them. It was French roll, made to order burger with spicy ketchup and real cheddar. They were sooo good. Not only don't they make them any more but according to the Googles, they never existed. Makes feel like I imagined them. SMDH.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Same with Panera’s.  They took away the 2 for 1 Italian sandwich you get with the soup.  Anything good, they take away.  So pissed.

But mac and cheese bread bowls from Panera look yum. Certainly am glad they're listening to me!

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Kawaiiko said:

But mac and cheese bread bowls from Panera look yum. Certainly am glad they're listening to me!

I love the French onion soup.  Now, they only give you four croutons, sno I have to add bits of bread into it.  Things are getting skimpy, but the prices still go up.  Can’t win.

• Love 1

I forgot this peeve.  Opening jars.  I can’t open jars to save my life.  Any jar that has to be opened, I have to call my son to do it.  My husband try everything from hot water, rubber things, fancy things, etc.  we just can’t do it.  

The tip of a sharp knife, under the rim, breaks the air seal so you can open the jar.  I'm sure there are other implements that might be safer if the knife scares you. 

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, Quof said:

The tip of a sharp knife, under the rim, breaks the air seal so you can open the jar.  I'm sure there are other implements that might be safer if the knife scares you. 

Oh, good idea.  I’ll try it.  Thanks a lot .. you saved my Son many trips.😀

(edited)

I use something heavy (a knife handle, serving fork...) and smack the lid all the way around and it opens easily afterward. 

For anyone coming in at the top of the page, I'm talking about smacking the lid on a jar to help open it.  Not smacking anything else...really... 

Edited by ebk57
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
On 4/30/2021 at 1:06 PM, peacheslatour said:

love the ones about plants and seeds. "Well, they haven't come up yet/bloomed yet so I'm giving them 5 stars!"

Or recipes -  “I substituted nutmeg for clove, omitted the molasses, cut the sugar back by a third, left out the pecans because my son is allergic and used white chocolate chips instead of bittersweet.  I also used vegan butter.  They were terrible - bland & weird texture.  Won’t make them again.  I can’t understand all the rave reviews.”  

Maybe don’t review a recipe that you don’t actually make.

• LOL 7
  • Love 9
On 4/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, RealHousewife said:

Stomach growing noises! Ugh, so embarrassing. 

I was in a meeting at work one morning, and my friend, sitting next to me, was making all sorts of stomach growling noises. He was trying hard to act casual, I was trying hard not to laugh. When the meeting was over, he asked me if I heard his stomach. "Heard it? I was expecting the creature from 'Alien' to burst out of your chest..."

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

I was in a meeting at work one morning, and my friend, sitting next to me, was making all sorts of stomach growling noises. He was trying hard to act casual, I was trying hard not to laugh. When the meeting was over, he asked me if I heard his stomach. "Heard it? I was expecting the creature from 'Alien' to burst out of your chest..."

I feel for him!  Humans usually have a little control or at least can sort of minimize a lot of bodily noises (burps, farts, sneezes, etc.) but that stomach has a mind of its own!

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I forgot this peeve.  Opening jars.  I can’t open jars to save my life.  Any jar that has to be opened, I have to call my son to do it.  My husband try everything from hot water, rubber things, fancy things, etc.  we just can’t do it.  

I never had luck with rubber things or fancy things until I bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSFFGV1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_188GGMYJWHFQ06XGPCP4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm so irritated, my thyroid medication is under another recall. The manufacturer just announced it last week but I've noticed I have had symptoms for at least the last month or so. I just thought it was because I wasn't eating as healthy as I should or working out enough. As someone without a thyroid, a medication recall can be serious, I literally have nothing in my body as a backup if my medication isn't working correctly. And it takes weeks to months to get back on track with a new med. 🤬

Edited by emma675d
9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I never had luck with rubber things or fancy things until I bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PSFFGV1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_188GGMYJWHFQ06XGPCP4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, @theredhead77! I put one in my Amazon cart. I was up in the middle of last night for a few hours, and wanted a Gatorade (zero sugar, I have a low electrolyte and sodium problem, for real). I can’t get the damn lid off! I ended up breaking the plastic around the top with the tip of a small knife (and stabbed myself in the process) but even then it was still really hard to open. I told my husband that when he goes back into the office he’s going to have to open a few up for me every morning to tide me over until he gets home. 

• Love 2
On 5/1/2021 at 12:32 PM, Silver Bells said:

I have had rheumatoid arthritis since I was 13. Opening jars and bottles is often awful and very difficult and occasionally no device or trick helps the situation.

Recently, I was feeling bad and recovering from lumbar spine fusion, so was not in great shape. Hubby bought a couple of bottles of Fresca. I used everything available to me and I couldn’t open it. He couldn’t either and had to use a good set of pliers to open it. Just infuriating.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I have had rheumatoid arthritis since I was 13. Opening jars and bottles is often awful and very difficult and occasionally no device or trick helps the situation.

Recently, I was feeling bad and recovering from lumbar spine fusion, so was not in great shape. Hubby bought a couple of bottles of Fresca. I used everything available to me and I couldn’t open it. He couldn’t either and had to use a good set of pliers to open it. Just infuriating.

Yeah, I have resorted to pliers on several occasions...not to open the darn bottle but to pull off the stupid metal seal under the lid...hands are so bad I can't grasp the tiny lip on the seal...

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Thanks, @theredhead77! I put one in my Amazon cart. I was up in the middle of last night for a few hours, and wanted a Gatorade (zero sugar, I have a low electrolyte and sodium problem, for real). I can’t get the damn lid off! I ended up breaking the plastic around the top with the tip of a small knife (and stabbed myself in the process) but even then it was still really hard to open. I told my husband that when he goes back into the office he’s going to have to open a few up for me every morning to tide me over until he gets home. 

I just ordered mine. I can't believe I don't already own one. We always had one when I was growing up.

*V-8 head slap*

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, emma675 said:

I'm so irritated, my thyroid medication is under another recall. The manufacturer just announced it last week but I've noticed I have had symptoms for at least the last month or so. I just thought it was because I wasn't eating as healthy as I should or working out enough. As someone without a thyroid, a medication recall can be serious, I literally have nothing in my body as a backup if my medication isn't working correctly. And it takes weeks to months to get back on track with a new med. 🤬

I hope it’s not Synthroid 100 mg.  Brand, not generic.  I just got mine two weeks ago from CVS.

4 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I hope it’s not Synthroid 100 mg.  Brand, not generic.  I just got mine two weeks ago from CVS.

No, it's NP Thyroid. I can't take Synthroid, though, I'm allergic to one of the fillers in it. Plus, it doesn't have all of the thyroid hormones that a naturally dessicated med does and having no thyroid, I need those. It's a hard game to play finding a thyroid medication that works, I'm over it.

• Love 1

Here's my peeve: when working out I have my couchto10k app running in the background. I hate when the background crashes mid-run and my smartwatch crashes along with it and so I no longer can keep track of how many miles I've run. 

31 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Here's my peeve: when working out I have my couchto10k app running in the background. I hate when the background crashes mid-run and my smartwatch crashes along with it and so I no longer can keep track of how many miles I've run. 

Oh that would definitely annoy me, too!

Some stupid jackass in our neighborhood is setting off high flying fireworks!

Dogs are barking and our cats are freaked out.

I wish I knew who it is, I would gladly go ring their front door in my robe and slippers and tell them to nock it the hell off or I would be glad to come stick a Roman candle up their ass just to see how much they would enjoy that!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/30/2021 at 4:52 PM, peacheslatour said:

There used to be a thing called Micky D. I was addicted to them. It was French roll, made to order burger with spicy ketchup and real cheddar. They were sooo good. Not only don't they make them any more but according to the Googles, they never existed. Makes feel like I imagined them. SMDH.

Are you thinking of the McDLT?  That was one of their fancy burgers.  Or the Arch Deluxe?  Every time we like the fancy burgers, they discontinue them.  A couple of years ago they had the Angus burgers with delicious toppings, such as mushroom and cheese.  Also gone. 

I like this type of jar opener.  My late mom had one when I was a kid, and I have hers now.  Lately I even need it to open some of those oil or vinegar bottles that have metal coverings that are supposed to twist off easily while breaking the perforations.  I often cannot do it without the jar gadget.

https://www.amazon.com/Swing-Way-Comfort-Opener-Black/dp/B000HMC5JA/ref=sxin_10?asc_contentid=amzn1.osa.a860f802-654e-4876-ac13-2f48c30423fa.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&asc_contenttype=article&ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.a860f802-654e-4876-ac13-2f48c30423fa.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B000HMC5JA&cv_ct_cx=jar+opener&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.a860f802-654e-4876-ac13-2f48c30423fa.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_we=asin&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source-earns-comm&dchild=1&keywords=jar+opener&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B000HMC5JA&pd_rd_r=378c511b-a679-49bd-becb-ecd9c45ad8f8&pd_rd_w=1vdha&pd_rd_wg=HiXJ8&pf_rd_p=c5aa77b7-f0ac-4b95-b207-5ef230c60c9b&pf_rd_r=2QDAFK5AF6RN01QYF277&qid=1620150063&s=home-garden&sr=1-1-64f3a41a-73ca-403a-923c-8152c45485fe&tag=atkamznsearch-20

(edited)

Are you thinking of the McDLT?  That was one of their fancy burgers.  Or the Arch Deluxe?  Every time we like the fancy burgers, they discontinue them.  A couple of years ago they had the Angus burgers with delicious toppings, such as mushroom and cheese.  Also gone. 

No, it was a completely different thing. There was no lettuce  involved and it was on a hard French roll. I guess it was a regional test market kind of thing because it's literally been scrubbed from all human knowledge except mine.  I wish they would bring it back.

Thank you for trying to help though!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/30/2021 at 4:52 PM, peacheslatour said:

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

No, it was a completely different thing. There was no lettuce  involved and it was on a hard French roll. I guess it was a regional test market kind of thing because it's literally been scrubbed from all human knowledge except mine.  I wish they would bring it back.

Thank you for trying to help though!

You are not going crazy! According to Wikipedia

Mickey D – A 1/3 lb. burger introduced in 1993 with cheddar cheese, red onions, diced tomatoes and a zesty tomato sauce on a crusty roll.[109]

It looks like it was a test market according to this 1993 article from the Greensboro News and Record: The Mickey D has been tested at several dozen restaurants in Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri and Iowa since January.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

You are not going crazy! According to Wikipedia

Mickey D – A 1/3 lb. burger introduced in 1993 with cheddar cheese, red onions, diced tomatoes and a zesty tomato sauce on a crusty roll.[109]

It looks like it was a test market according to this 1993 article from the Greensboro News and Record: The Mickey D has been tested at several dozen restaurants in Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri and Iowa since January.

OMG! Thank you! I knew I wasn't losing my mind.

• Love 3

My current pet peeve: I love the YouTube channel The Take. But lately instead of analyzing shows and movies, they’ve been making videos analyzing real-life celebrities. Like…why?!

I don’t like videos that devote themselves to analyzing real-life celebrities like Britney Spears trying to dig deep into every little thing I do. Fictional characters is one thing but when you obsess that much over real people? Yikes.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

My current pet peeve: I love the YouTube channel The Take.

I love them too, but I haven't checked in on them in a while. Last I saw them, they were analyzing simps and stans and cancel culture. 

• Love 1
On 5/3/2021 at 5:22 PM, icemiser69 said:

There is a person in the neighborhood walking their dog, scooping the dog poop into little bags, and then leaving the filled bags on the ground instead of taking them home and disposing of them properly.  What a disgusting slob.

Is anyone doing something about it?  My neighbor across the common area grass let’s her two dogs poop on the grass and pee.  This is a common area where people walk and kids could play.  Nobody wants to report her to the HOA. If I tell her, I’ll make an enemy.  What to do?  Dogs are supposed to be on the street to do their business.  She doesn’t care. ?????

2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Did anyone get this new “Invision Community” thing on their Primetimer apps?  All the shows.  We have to pay to watch or what?  Anyone know about this?

I had one of the forums here as my bookmark for Primetimer.  Suddenly this afternoon, when I would click on the thumbnail for it, I'm getting a "__Community Not Available - Check With The Owner" or something similar.  So I had to put Primetimer in the search bar, and arrive at it that way.

Something's up.

p.s.:  Primetimer has an app?  lol  I use a pc

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I had one of the forums here as my bookmark for Primetimer.  Suddenly this afternoon, when I would click on the thumbnail for it, I'm getting a "__Community Not Available - Check With The Owner" or something similar.  So I had to put Primetimer in the search bar, and arrive at it that way.

Something's up.

p.s.:  Primetimer has an app?  lol  I use a pc

One by one, I got that on all my shows, even Wendy Williams Show.  I just put the show on the search bar and N.Y. Housewives came up.  I have all my shows from the “Favorites” that I clicked on when watching a show, so I just click on my favorites, if you get what I mean.  Hope we don’t have to pay to go on the threads.