Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

When so-called “feminists” shame you for liking dresses, heels and wired bras.  

I had this experience far too often when my pre-schooler would only wear dresses, preferably "puwple" and pink - and insisted on playing with Barbie.  Apparently I was really letting the side down by not forcing her into overalls (blue of course) and making her play with lego and trucks.  Sigh.  Sorry but you can lead a 5 yr old to legos but you can't make her like them!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

When so-called “feminists” shame you for liking dresses, heels and wired bras.  

Feminism is about choice. If a woman wants to wear a dress, make up and heels or a pair of cargo pants and a WoW t shirt that is her choice. A real feminist should have zero problems with it.

• Love 19

Season allergies (pollen, grasses) that set off fruit and vegetable allergies that I don’t normally have (oral allergy syndrome). It used to be mainly apples and pitted fruit, but it seems like I have to add avocado to the list of foods to avoid until the fall. Fortunately it’s not a severe reaction, just an itchy throat and ears. But I love avocado toast!

• Useful 1
54 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I had this experience far too often when my pre-schooler would only wear dresses, preferably "puwple" and pink - and insisted on playing with Barbie.  Apparently I was really letting the side down by not forcing her into overalls (blue of course) and making her play with lego and trucks.  Sigh.  Sorry but you can lead a 5 yr old to legos but you can't make her like them!

Just like I can't force my 2 1/2 year old to play with dolls.  It's all cars and trucks for him.  I never even "conditioned" him to like them.  He just does.  

55 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Feminism is about choice. If a woman wants to wear a dress, make up and heels or a pair of cargo pants and a WoW t shirt that is her choice. A real feminist should have zero problems with it.

Yes!  Apparently these gals never got the message.  

• Love 7

Feminism also examines systemic sexism's influence on individual choices, so as long as a woman is wearing stereotypically "feminine" clothing and shoes because that's what she likes - as seems to usually be the case these days - not because she's been brainwashed into believing that's how all women are supposed to present themselves, there's no issue.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

5 hours ago, PRgal said:

Just like I can't force my 2 1/2 year old to play with dolls.  It's all cars and trucks for him.  I never even "conditioned" him to like them.  He just does.  

Yes!  Apparently these gals never got the message.  

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Feminism also examines systemic sexism's influence on individual choices, so as long as a woman is wearing stereotypically "feminine" clothing and shoes because that's what she likes - as seems to usually be the case these days - not because she's been brainwashed into believing that's how all women are supposed to present themselves, there's no issue.

Haha I recently said a pet peeve is the weird attitude some people have toward us women who to wear dresses without any occasion. I'm a feminist too! To me feminism just means equal rights and opportunities. I go by the dictionary definition. It doesn't mean women must all be a certain way. Wear skirts and heels or wear jeans and sneakers. (If I'm going to be on my feet all day, I opt for my comfortable shoes. Women shouldn't have to be in pain or damage their feet! I only wear heels a lot because I love em.) Be a stay at home mom or be a doctor. Little girls can take ballet and play with dolls and/or be into sports and video games. We should all do whatever makes us happy so long as we're not hurting anyone, same for men. 

• Love 6

Peeve of the day:  Getting home from the grocery store only to realize I've forgotten at least two items.  That were on my bloody list!  And it's raining!  And cold!  But I'm going to have to go back out. 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Peeve of the day:  Getting home from the grocery store only to realize I've forgotten at least two items.  That were on my bloody list!  And it's raining!  And cold!  But I'm going to have to go back out. 

Yep.  Unless it's absolutely essential, I won't go back out.  I'll just make do with what I have.  But if it's more than three items, I might order online and have it delivered.  It's still pretty bad where I am, so I limit my store outings to twice a week.

• Love 1

My grocery peeve is the price of pineapple right now!  At least in my area, the cored pineapple that I used to be able to buy for 3.99 has now gone up to 5.99.  That's a helluva jump and just a touch more than I am prepared to pay even though I love pineapple and the canned stuff just isn't the same.  Sob.  But I just can't justify 5.99.  I could barely justify 3.99!  Anyway is there a world wide shortage of pineapple and I missed the memo??

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 1

Copy editing pet peeve (I'm a former copy editor):  I just can't stand that the world decided a few years ago that the short form for microphone was henceforth to be spelled "mic" instead of "mike."  I'm sorry, but "mic" is pronounced "mick," and I hate it.  I will never get over this.  Unfortunately, it has been adopted as standard style in all the big newspapers and the like (lic?).

Even worse, they spell miked as micced or mic'ed or some other abomination.

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My grocery peeve is the price of pineapple right now!  At least in my area, the cored pineapple that I used to be able to buy for 3.99 has now gone up to 5.99.  That's a helluva jump and just a touch more than I am prepared to pay even though I love pineapple and the canned stuff just isn't the same.  Sob.  But I just can't justify 5.99.  I could barely justify 3.99!  Anyway is there a world wide shortage of pineapple and I missed the memo??

And if you think it's tough on the Mainland, imagine my shock and surprise during my visit there and discovered that pineapples are MORE expensive in Hawaiian grocery stores! That's because Hawaiians either grow enough for themselves or know folks who do while the bulk of pineapples are exported to California. Hence, they're  RE-imported back to Hawaii for gullible tourists to buy! Of course, virtually ALL commodities are more expensive in Hawaii compared to the Mainland (with more banged up and dented goods seen on grocery shelves there than we'd expect her) for that reason. Virtually the only food that's cheap there   is poi. However,  there's a saying that if one likes poi, one's either a Hawaiian or a liar because IMO it looks and tastes very much like grey wallpaper paste (albeit it's very nutritious but IMO barely edible). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

They've been $1.99 for months here (northern suburb of Charlotte) until this week when they were down to $1.49. Who knows?

1 hour ago, GussieK said:

Copy editing pet peeve (I'm a former copy editor):  I just can't stand that the world decided a few years ago that the short form for microphone was henceforth to be spelled "mic" instead of "mike."  I'm sorry, but "mic" is pronounced "mick," and I hate it.  I will never get over this.  Unfortunately, it has been adopted as standard style in all the big newspapers and the like. 

Even worse, they spell miked as micced or mic'ed or some other abomination.

I have always hated this, and I will die on this hill with you.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

They've been $1.99 for months here (northern suburb of Charlotte) until this week when they were down to $1.49. Who knows?

That's the price where I live for a whole pineapple.  Then you have to take it home and clean it.  What Winnie is talking about is the pineapple that has been cleaned and cored by the grocery store.  I have also seen the price of pineapple increase where I live.  I have a Pampered Chef pineapple corer at home, and use that to cut my own pineapple to save money.  Depending on the grocery store,  they charge between 3 to 5 bucks for the labor.   It's not that difficult to core a pineapple. 

• Useful 1

I'm sorry if this has been addressed on previous pages, but my current pet peeve is the way every single news show is bombarding me with close-up video of one of my biggest phobias, needles. I spend half the nightly news with my eyes shut and they STILL catch me. 

Last night I was watching cautiously, and in an instant I was seeing a needle go right into an arm. There wasn't even a seconds notice. 

My husband commented he thought my phobia would have worn off by now after a year of exposure, but no. I told him it's like every night, over and over, out of the blue, seeing closeup footage of snakes. (His #1 phobia.) 

All this said, I can't wait to get my first vaccine shot next week. I'll do my usual. Ahead of time I'll decide on exactly what I'm going to think about during the injection, to distract myself, and of course I'll make sure I don't catch even a glimpse of the needle. 

But I still have to face the needle-infested news. 😕

• Love 2

Intramuscular or subQ injections don't bother me at all, but I have an actual phobia around IV injections/blood draws; I panic when I have to have it done (and will sometimes delay/avoid medical attention because of it), and I don't even want to see it happen to someone else.  So every time I watch Nightwatch or any other medical documentary, I have to be on guard for when it's time to close my eyes.  Thankfully, the medical workers almost always give the patient a heads-up of what they're about to do, so I have my warning.

I've mentioned this before, but my peeve is with nurses/phlebotomists/etc. who respond to my clear explanation of this phobia by assuring me it doesn't hurt.  Fool, I know that.  It has nothing to do with pain, or needles in general (see, e.g., the fact I have tattoos).  It is very specific to needles going into veins, and, as a phobia, is by definition irrational.  I don't expect everyone on the street to get that, but people who do this daily?  Yes, I do. 

Also, when I warn them my veins "hide" and they'll have a hard time (which, of course, makes my situation worse by prolonging it), they patronize me with "I can find a vein in anyone", and 20 minutes later I'm surrounded by a team of four taking turns trying and failing as I struggle to control my breathing, I would like an acknowledgment that I do, in fact, know my body better than they do.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That's the price where I live for a whole pineapple.  Then you have to take it home and clean it.  What Winnie is talking about is the pineapple that has been cleaned and cored by the grocery store.  I have also seen the price of pineapple increase where I live.  I have a Pampered Chef pineapple corer at home, and use that to cut my own pineapple to save money.  Depending on the grocery store,  they charge between 3 to 5 bucks for the labor.   It's not that difficult to core a pineapple. 

Welp. Reading is FUNdamental.

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Though maybe just a slight bit messy, what with the juice 'n all, these couldn't be simpler to use.  Just whack the spike off the end, and you simply thread this down through the center of the pineapple.  It spiral slices the fruit, and cores the center as you go.

Ratcheting-Pineapple-Slicer

• Useful 1
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Also, when I warn them my veins "hide" and they'll have a hard time (which, of course, makes my situation worse by prolonging it), they patronize me with "I can find a vein in anyone", and 20 minutes later I'm surrounded by a team of four taking turns trying and failing as I struggle to control my breathing, I would like an acknowledgment that I do, in fact, know my body better than they do.

I have the same problem-I’ve had my blood drawn so many times even fisting and pumping my hand doesn’t help. But one of my oncologist nurses suggested something that helped me. Drinking lots of water before going to the doctor when I need blood drawn. It “plumps” the veins. But sometimes it doesn’t and I remember how they had to stick me from the back of my hand where the veins are visible. Thankfully I only had to suffer through that option once. It’s very rare that I’ve had someone stick me and I barely felt it. Hence me digging my nails into my palm of the opposite arm and looking away and holding my breath.

17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Intramuscular or subQ injections don't bother me at all, but I have an actual phobia around IV injections/blood draws; I panic when I have to have it done (and will sometimes delay/avoid medical attention because of it), and I don't even want to see it happen to someone else.  So every time I watch Nightwatch or any other medical documentary, I have to be on guard for when it's time to close my eyes.  Thankfully, the medical workers almost always give the patient a heads-up of what they're about to do, so I have my warning.

I've mentioned this before, but my peeve is with nurses/phlebotomists/etc. who respond to my clear explanation of this phobia by assuring me it doesn't hurt.  Fool, I know that.  It has nothing to do with pain, or needles in general (see, e.g., the fact I have tattoos).  It is very specific to needles going into veins, and, as a phobia, is by definition irrational.  I don't expect everyone on the street to get that, but people who do this daily?  Yes, I do. 

I have the same phobia and the same problem veins. Mine are rolling veins and I feel lucky when they can draw blood the first time.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Bastet said:

ve mentioned this before, but my peeve is with nurses/phlebotomists/etc. who respond to my clear explanation of this phobia by assuring me it doesn't hurt.  Fool, I know that.  It has nothing to do with pain, or needles in general (see, e.g., the fact I have tattoos).  It is very specific to needles going into veins, and, as a phobia, is by definition irrational.  I don't expect everyone on the street to get that, but people who do this daily?  Yes, I do.

I have the same problem, except I faint when having blood drawn.  I know that the small amount of blood drawn is not enough to cause a physical reaction, but I still faint, unless I can lie down.  Yet when I mention this, I am always told that I will be fine, they are very good at what they do.  Then shortly after the needle goes in, I faint.  Is it purely a psychological issue? Yes, of course.  But it happens every damn time, so don’t try and tell me it won’t because you have some magical powers.  It has been an issue since I was about 7, so I know what I am talking about.  Just let me lie down, damn it!

• Love 2

Wow, I never realized how lucky I am not to have hidden or rolling veins

35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Intramuscular or subQ injections don't bother me at all, but I have an actual phobia around IV injections/blood draws; I panic when I have to have it done (and will sometimes

If you don't mind the needles going in, what part exactly bothers you? The blood coming out? 

• Useful 1

I remember when I got my first cataract surgery and the nurse was trying to find a vein to put in the anesthetic and of course would not listen to me when I told her the best place to try.  I mean how could I possibly know, right?  The worst thing was lying there while she poked and poked and poked and knowing I'd have to lie there til she got it rather than get up and run screaming from the room as I wanted to do.  She kept insisting she did this all the time and she'd get it sooner or later.  Sigh. Finally the anesthesiologist came over and within 5 seconds it was done.  The nurse was very put out about that!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

If you don't mind the needles going in, what part exactly bothers you?

I don't mind needles going into skin or muscle; it's only going into veins that I have the phobia about.

Just now, WinnieWinkle said:

The only good thing about it was after enduring that the surgery was a piece of cake!

Yeah, for me, having to have an IV line put in for fluids is the absolute worst part of having surgery.

• Love 4

Needles generally don't bother me at all, but the last time I was at my internal doc to have my physical and regular bloodwork, there was a nurse (or phlebotomist, I'm not sure) trainee who didn't get the needle in my vein correctly. Another nurse came over and stuck me in the other arm after digging around where the first needle was. Just stop; it hurts! There's one phlebotomist/nurse there who's amazing at what she does. She always hits the vein at the correct angle and it almost doesn't hurt at all. She's quick and kind just the best.

• Love 3

I broke my ankle once.  When getting the pin out, my Dr gave me two options for the surgery.  Awake or anesthesia.

I chose awake.  Everyone I mentioned this to asked me what kind of lunatic I was.

That option allowed me to drive myself home.  I didn't get what their deal was.

So I have to say that I think needles or blood draws don't bother me. 

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have the same problem-I’ve had my blood drawn so many times even fisting and pumping my hand doesn’t help. But one of my oncologist nurses suggested something that helped me. Drinking lots of water before going to the doctor when I need blood drawn. It “plumps” the veins. But sometimes it doesn’t and I remember how they had to stick me from the back of my hand where the veins are visible. Thankfully I only had to suffer through that option once. It’s very rare that I’ve had someone stick me and I barely felt it. Hence me digging my nails into my palm of the opposite arm and looking away and holding my breath.

Blood draws have been from my hand for probably 20 years now.  I actually have become used to it, and rarely have any more discomfort than I would from traditional locations.  The water thing is a good tip, told me by my hemotologist's nurse.

• Love 1

And then of course, speaking of needles, there's the dentist. Of all the places I don't want them to stick in a needle, I don't want them to stick a needle in my mouth THE MOST! And if they're sticking a needle in my mouth, the place I least want them to stick it is in the roof of my mouth. I only had that once and I still cringe thinking about it. 

Fortunately my current dentist is excellent at making sure I don't actually see the needle, and so far the injections haven't been too painful. Once that part's over I find I can gradually relax. It helps that he gives me headphones and I can watch the TV above the chair. Wow, I'm spoiled! 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The worst blood draw I ever had was done by an obstetrician. He even dropped the vial.

For as basic and crucial to medicine the act is, it really is amazing how few are adept at it.  Thankfully for me, I remember the really good ones more than the really bad ones.

• Love 3

My pet peeve at this minute is my next door neighbors who are having some sort of party in their backyard that involves a bounce house and blaring honky tonk country music so loud I can hear it in every room of my house. I can only hope that since it started around 4:30pm it's not something that will last all night.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 3

I too have shy veins and drawing blood is a hassle. I’ve tried drinking a lot of water before but it’s hasn’t helped. I usually just ask them to take it from the back of my hand, which seems to be easier. The worst experience I had involved the ER, 3 phlebotomists, and eventually an ultrasound machine. It was even less fun than it sounds!

24 minutes ago, emma675 said:

My pet peeve at this minute is my next door neighbors who are having some sort of party in their backyard that involves a bounce house and blaring honky tonk country music so loud I can hear it in every room of my house. I can only hope that since it started around 4:30pm it's not something that will last all night.

Not only would the noise bother me - I loathe other people's noise 🙃 - but given where I am is in a strict lockdown I'd be furious about this!

• Love 8

Peeves:

1. Humble bragging. Either be proud and brag about it or STFU
2. Making being tired a competition. It's not. We're all exhausted. Mentally, physically, it's just a state of being right now and trying to one-up to be the most tired is just, well, tiresome.

Unrelated to those two things I'm realizing I have a friendship that is pretty one sided. I haven't seen this person in nearly a year. We're making lunch plans now that we're both vaccinated. I said "I'm excited to see you and catch up" and they responded "I can't wait to vent about this class I just finished". Um, no thanks. Looking back on our interactions before the pandemic I'm realizing that most of them were their bitching about their spouse, their family, their in-laws. I'll keep the lunch, whenever we get it scheduled but I'm in school too and I'm going to keep the time frame to an hour or so. Just enough time to eat and see if my memories are correct.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I remember when I got my first cataract surgery and the nurse was trying to find a vein to put in the anesthetic and of course would not listen to me when I told her the best place to try.  I mean how could I possibly know, right?  The worst thing was lying there while she poked and poked and poked and knowing I'd have to lie there til she got it rather than get up and run screaming from the room as I wanted to do.  She kept insisting she did this all the time and she'd get it sooner or later.  Sigh. Finally the anesthesiologist came over and within 5 seconds it was done.  The nurse was very put out about that!

Same for me. Finding a good vein was worse than cataract surgery.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

That was going to be my pet peeve.  Can I assume that these new reaction notifications rivaling the StaPuf marshmallow man in Ghost Busters are a result of a glitch?  lol

This is me hoping.

Yes, it’s a glitch that they are working on trying to resolve. There is a thread in the Bugs forum for people to post what issues they are still having.

• Useful 5

I have to have blood drawn every year because of our health insurance plan, I have slippery veins, and now I just tell them to take it from the back of my hand.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

They can never find my veins. They miss three or four times and then they pull out the dreaded butterfly needle which is extremely painful.

====

Holy crap, I thought I was about to get sucked through my computer screen.  All of a sudden I get these massive notifications when someone likes what I post.  Damn those notifications are huge.

Yes.

Three hours in and the party has moved into hard core rap/hip hop. Keep in mind this is a group of middle aged white people with their small children in tow. I like Post Malone as much as anyone but I don't think the uncensored version of "Rockstar" is appropriate for 10 year olds to dance to.

17 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I like Post Malone as much as anyone but I don't think the uncensored version of "Rockstar" is appropriate for 10 year olds to dance to.

I suggest you counter with this version of Rockstar.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I suggest you counter with this version of Rockstar.

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! The original is one of my guilty pleasures because it's insanely catchy but this is even better. 

(I say that now but I'll probably be cursing you at 4 am when it's still playing in my head. 😁

35 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! The original is one of my guilty pleasures because it's insanely catchy but this is even better. 

(I say that now but I'll probably be cursing you at 4 am when it's still playing in my head. 😁

Everybody got a rum dealer on speed dial. 🤣I enjoy me some Nickelback and I'm not afraid to admit it. I can't believe All The Right Reasons turned 15.

Edited by theredhead77
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, rcc said:

I have the same phobia and the same problem veins. Mine are rolling veins and I feel lucky when they can draw blood the first time.

Ah yes, my rolling veins always give me a good time.

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But one of my oncologist nurses suggested something that helped me. Drinking lots of water before going to the doctor when I need blood drawn. It “plumps” the veins. 

I was told this too, so I always chug a couple of glasses of water before getting blood drawn.

• Love 2