Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

Glad I'm not the only one re FB ads. I never used to have that many. One every week or so. 

Pet peeve: My age group can now get vaccinated in my province. Of course, right when I want to go to the drive-thru clinic in my area, they close since we're out of vaccines. Until May...

15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Just for the fun of it, I just scrolled down my Facebook feed and didn't see one ad.  Wonder if I'm doing something wrong:)  

I find it comes and goes.  Today so far I haven't had a single ad.  Of course now I've jinxed myself!  But last week and especially over the week-end it was constant.

11 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Glad I'm not the only one re FB ads. I never used to have that many. One every week or so. 

Pet peeve: My age group can now get vaccinated in my province. Of course, right when I want to go to the drive-thru clinic in my area, they close since we're out of vaccines. Until May...

I made an appointment 2 weeks ago for May 3rd.  I'm a little nervous so waiting with a specific date is not fun.  Just waiting before with no specific date wasn't as bad.

8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I made an appointment 2 weeks ago for May 3rd.  I'm a little nervous so waiting with a specific date is not fun.  Just waiting before with no specific date wasn't as bad.

We're getting our first jabs tomorrow.

• Love 5
On 4/16/2021 at 7:19 PM, Browncoat said:

I will ask a grocery store employee to reach things like that for me.

OMG, I AM 5’1” with short arms. Can’t reach the top shelves. Fortunately my husband does the grocery shopping (because he likes it) and he’s 6’3” with really long arms (his arms and my legs are the same length, about which I have a very funny story).

I was at the Dollar Store about 6 weeks ago and an elderly lady wanted something that was on the highest shelf. I said, let me get it, and she laughed at me, which was appropriate. I ended up finding something with a long handle to help maneuver it so that I could catch it when it fell.

I mean, we were in a Dollar Store during a pandemic, and she was obviously on a limited income. I was buying crap for a St. Patrick’s Day wreath that I never did make.

Years ago I was shopping at Walmart and a woman in a wheelchair asked if I could reach something for her. I couldn’t and we both had a good laugh at that.

• Love 5
On 4/16/2021 at 8:59 PM, BookWoman56 said:

San Antonio has only two seasons on any consistent basis: Seriously fucking hot, and almost bearable. 

I lived in San Antonio for 6 years (I loved it) and you are right.

I lived in Houston for 5 years (did not love it, my ex is a factor) and I always said Houston has two seasons, rainy and not as rainy.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

OMG, I AM 5’1” with short arms. Can’t reach the top shelves. Fortunately my husband does the grocery shopping (because he likes it) and he’s 6’3” with really long arms (his arms and my legs are the same length, about which I have a very funny story).

I was at the Dollar Store about 6 weeks ago and an elderly lady wanted something that was on the highest shelf. I said, let me get it, and she laughed at me, which was appropriate. I ended up finding something with a long handle to help maneuver it so that I could catch it when it fell.

I mean, we were in a Dollar Store during a pandemic, and she was obviously on a limited income. I was buying crap for a St. Patrick’s Day wreath that I never did make.

Years ago I was shopping at Walmart and a woman in a wheelchair asked if I could reach something for her. I couldn’t and we both had a good laugh at that.

Those stories are funny and cute! Sometimes I don't like being tall, but at least my height comes in handy when shopping. I've helped out shorter people and those in wheelchairs many times at the grocery store. Just don't ask me to bring down anything heavy, because I might drop it. lol My upper body strength is terrible. I almost dropped water bottles recently. I hate asking for help because I feel like as a tall person I should be able to handle it, but honestly my arms may be long but are scrawny. Sometimes I wish I could trade my height for some muscle. Luckily most men are gentlemen and help without me asking.

• Love 5

Pimentos in random things and without warning. I'm randomly allergic to pimentos and so many things randomly have pimento cheese or just plain pimentos in them! Not only are they NASTY they make me so sick. Twice in 2 weeks I unknowingly consumed them. Thank goodness it's not an allergy that will kill me but FFS, enough with the random pimentos!

• Love 2

Lately, my husband is sneaky.  I’ll be watching t.v. and he will walk thru all dressed to go grocery shopping.  I say “i want to go too”.  He tells me no.  I asked him why. He said “when he goes, he spends about $35.  When I go with him, I buy everything and we wind up spending around $120.  Haha.  He buys the basics.  I buy everything I see.  Plus, he bullshits with all the cold cut guys about sports.  I can hear him five aisles away.  Now I go just for spite.  The whole store knows him already.  I told him he should be a greeter when people walk in, haha.  That’s what happens when they retire.  They think they do everything the best and know everything.  Now, he says he does the laundry better than me too.  I don’t care.  I have more time to snark.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Lately, my husband is sneaky.  I’ll be watching t.v. and he will walk thru all dressed to go grocery shopping.  I say “i want to go too”.  He tells me no.  I asked him why. He said “when he goes, he spends about $35.  When I go with him, I buy everything and we wind up spending around $120.  Haha.  He buys the basics.  I buy everything I see.  Plus, he bullshits with all the cold cut guys about sports.  I can hear him five aisles away.  Now I go just for spite.  The whole store knows him already.  I told him he should be a greeter when people walk in, haha.  That’s what happens when they retire.  They think they do everything the best and know everything.  Now, he says he does the laundry better than me too.  I don’t care.  I have more time to snark.

About 15 years ago my husband decided he should to to all the grocery shopping. He could reach all the shelves and I came home with stuff he still ate. He will never, ever figure out how to pick fruit. Fine with me, I was in grad school working on my dissertation. Yeah, he might like shopping at 9pm without his wife, but his inability to get everything on his own grocery list is a marvel to this day. That annoyed me until I had my first hip replaced in 2008. I did the laundry but we had a bottom loading washer and dryer at the time so I couldn’t do the laundry for six weeks. He took over and noW I’m not allowed to do laundry. If he catches me doing it he freaks out.

Being married to an OCD anal husband has a lot of disadvantages. Every time I think that, he does the laundry....

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I'm the worst. I LOVE to shop. If I go in, I'll see some new snacks that look yummy. I'll get treats for family and friends. I'll decide I need some bubble gum. I'll spend extra on healthy stuff and tell myself money spent on nutritious food is never a waste. Perhaps I'll get beauty products or toiletries I really don't need and tell myself it's okay because I'm shopping at Walmart or Target and not Sephora. I need to get better!

• Love 3

I'm about 5'4 and still have trouble reaching top shelves. One time I had a box of foil in my hand using it as a tool to get something off a top shelf I wanted. A nice guy came up behind me laughing a bit and asked if I wanted him to grab it for me.

I remember my Mom telling me more than once that my Nana sent her to the grocery store with her Dad when she was young to as she said "teach him how to grocery shop". Anytime I see or hear stories about men not knowing how to grocery shop I laugh because I could see my Nana doing exactly what my Mom described.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 7
52 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

What are you nervous about?

Blood clots,  nausea (I don't like throwing up), the needle (I have a bit of a phobia), traffic (I was told by someone who got their shot at the same place that it was a mad house trying to find parking and I'm not good in high traffic situations).

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

About 15 years ago my husband decided he should to to all the grocery shopping. He could reach all the shelves and I came home with stuff he still ate. He will never, ever figure out how to pick fruit. Fine with me, I was in grad school working on my dissertation. Yeah, he might like shopping at 9pm without his wife, but his inability to get everything on his own grocery list is a marvel to this day. That annoyed me until I had my first hip replaced in 2008. I did the laundry but we had a bottom loading washer and dryer at the time so I couldn’t do the laundry for six weeks. He took over and noW I’m not allowed to do laundry. If he catches me doing it he freaks out.

Being married to an OCD anal husband has a lot of disadvantages. Every time I think that, he does the laundry....

Nowadays, going to the grocery store is my out, like I’m going somewhere special.  Being I have back troubles, I sometimes jump in a scooter.  He says I take too much time looking and riding around, lol.  I do, and enjoy it.  Besides, I buy things like avacados, sun dried tomatoes .. everything he won’t eat, and toiletries, etc.  Oh, and now he’s in charge of laundry and the dishwasher.  He won’t run it until it’s full to the gills.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

It’s nothing, believe me.  You hardly feel the needle, it’s so quick.  I went to CVS yesterday for my second shot of Moderna.  I was first in line.  I was in n out in twenty minutes.  Better than being in hospital on a ventilator.  Don’t be scared.😀

• Love 8
On 4/19/2021 at 9:43 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

That last thing I want is to join a group about plants.  And yet, it appears after almost every post. 

Today I keep seeing ads for things like diabetic socks and other items useful if you have diabetes.  Which I do not.  I'd love to know what I must have searched for that has triggered this.  If it's entirely random that's even more bizarre.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Today I keep seeing ads for things like diabetic socks and other items useful if you have diabetes.  Which I do not.  I'd love to know what I must have searched for that has triggered this.  If it's entirely random that's even more bizarre.

I know FB ads are based upon your basic demographics.  FB knows your gender and age so they allow advertisers to use that info to target you.  I'm single and childfree, but I occasionally  get ads for breastfeeding mammas and diapers.  When I click on the "why am I seeing this?" function, FB tells me the company has targeted women between the ages of 25-40.  

• Useful 1
40 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know FB ads are based upon your basic demographics.  FB knows your gender and age so they allow advertisers to use that info to target you.  I'm single and childfree, but I occasionally  get ads for breastfeeding mammas and diapers.  When I click on the "why am I seeing this?" function, FB tells me the company has targeted women between the ages of 25-40.  

I've never had Facebook and I never will.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, KlutzyCobbler said:

I googled Ad Blocker for Facebook and found this:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ad-blocker-for-facebook/kinpgphmiekapnpbmobneleaiemkefag?hl=en

Scroll to the bottom of the page to select a blocker that may be suitable for your browser.

Because I use Chrome, it brought up this option:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fbfluffbustingpurity/nmkinhboiljjkhaknpaeaicmdjhagpep?hl=en

All of the ads on the righthand side of Facebook plus the ads that appeared between the posts have disappeared.

I only use the FB app, so no adblock for me.  I don't mind some of the sponsored posts.  They are annoying, but I do understand the cost of doing business and what being on social media in any form actually means.  I am able to scroll on by some ads.  The issue is the frequency of ads and how irrelevant so many of them are.  I find that the ads on FB's other platform, Instagram, to be more relevant and appear more seamless.  It could be the medium, or it could be the fact that I use each for different purposes.  I do believe that overall FB just flat out does not know how to monetize the platform.  Selling ads targeted to women the ages of 25-40, men the ages of 41-60, etc is not a good business model.  It's too broad.  I'm a bit surprised that companies still give millions to FB for these ads.  The returns can't be that great.  

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have anxiety issues, and am very much a pessimist.  They go hand in hand.  People can tell me to calm down and not to worry about things that are beyond my control all they want.  It goes in one ear and out the other.  They are trying to be helpful, but it doesn't help.  All I can say to you is to try and cope with it the best you can.

I try to distract myself from things that stress me out.  It doesn't solve problems, but it does give me a much needed break from them.

I get you.  I am petrified of doctors, blood results and tests, but I go.  My blood pressure jumps up in the office because I’m a wreck.  When everything turns out o.k., I can relax.  I’ll go to the dentist with no trouble, never nervous, but doctors scare the hell out of me.  At a certain age you’re always in a doctor for this n that.  It sucks.  I have a bunch to go to now and I’m sweating already. Lol.  I wasn’t nervous for the Covid shot tho as I know it will help me.  I envy people that go to doctors without a care in the world.

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 3

Vaccine folks:  good luck, and try to relax.  I know--easier said than done.

My husband absolutely cannot be trusted to grocery shop.  He does not read the package in full.  He just grabs the first thing that looks similar.  I'm trying to retrain.  If you ask him to get Tate's chocolate chip cookies, he picks up Tate's gluten free chocolate cookies.  Hellman's mayonnaise, he gets low-fat.  Regular milk, he grabs low fat, and so on.  I finally learned him that the milk types have colors. 

This is a man who graduated from medical school and works as a doctor!  Selective attention!

As for laundry, when I was sick with Covid in December, he washed things on the prewash cycle and put bleach in wrong and got bleach spots.  On his own pants, so serves him right.

At least he is the one in our household who undertakes all computer related repairs/reboots, etc.  I hate doing that, so it's a good trade. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Vaccine folks:  good luck, and try to relax.  I know--easier said than done.

My husband absolutely cannot be trusted to grocery shop.  He does not read the package in full.  He just grabs the first thing that looks similar.  I'm trying to retrain.  If you ask him to get Tate's chocolate chip cookies, he picks up Tate's gluten free chocolate cookies.  Hellman's mayonnaise, he gets low-fat.  Regular milk, he grabs low fat, and so on.  I finally learned him that the milk types have colors. 

This is a man who graduated from medical school and works as a doctor!  Selective attention!

As for laundry, when I was sick with Covid in December, he washed things on the prewash cycle and put bleach in wrong and got bleach spots.  On his own pants, so serves him right.

At least he is the one in our household who undertakes all computer related repairs/reboots, etc.  I hate doing that, so it's a good trade. 

I shouldn’t be laughing, but I am.  Join the club. Lol.  I think they are very good at certain things,but not others.  Mine does a lot of my dirty work that I  don’t want to do, so we are even.  When my Father died, he cleaned the whole house, washed floors, etc. whil I sorted thru things to sell the house.  He does always have my back tho, and that’s important.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

I get you.  I am petrified of doctors, blood results and tests, but I go.  My blood pressure jumps up in the office because I’m a wreck.  When everything turns out o.k., I can relax.  I’ll go to the dentist with no trouble, never nervous, but doctors scare the hell out of me.  At a certain age you’re always in a doctor for this n that.  It sucks.  I have a bunch to go to now and I’m sweating already. Lol.  I wasn’t nervous for the Covid shot tho as I know it will help me.  I envy people that go to doctors without a care in the world.

I'm exactly the same way. I tell the nurse to not even say my BP out loud because it just makes it worse. It's weird because I've never had a bad experience there. I don't know what it is but when I see that BP cuff come out, I get all twirly and chaotic.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:17 PM, theredhead77 said:

I can only speak from my experience but it's 100% been a misconception. Gas is cheaper but groceries, things at Target, they all cost the same. Rent right now is running about what I'd pay where I'm from in CA. Sure, if you move to the middle of nowhere housing will be cheap but you're living in the middle of nowhere. And the weather sucks. Drivers here are complete assholes and people in general are super cliquish and that "southern hospitality" does not exist in a way that is different than other areas. It's the same personalities wherever you go. I found super nice people in CA and complete assholes here. And I've already ranted about the other stuff.

Are you in Texas? I in Texas my whole life and I don't like it here. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nicmar said:

Are you in Texas? I in Texas my whole life and I don't like it here. 

Nope. Georgia, outside of Atlanta, a drunken stumble* from where the Braves play.

*The "drunken stumble" unit of distance is fluid but typically involves a few miles and a hill. Something you'd never in a million years walk sober but see no issue taking that walk home with your friends after a night out because "it's not that far". 

• LOL 13
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

My husband absolutely cannot be trusted to grocery shop

This made me laugh.  If you want another laugh, google this: Jeanne Robertson don't send a man to the grocery store.  The video is really funny. (I didn't know if I could post the link or not.)

Pet peeve:  Living in an aging house.  Mine is a mid-60s ranch-style house.  I've lived here nearly 20 years, and I think I've been having to get things fixed for the last 10 or more.  I guess it's still cheaper than buying a newer house, but it's just kind of a pain.  The latest problem is that when I got home from work and went to the back of the house to change clothes, I could hear water running in the quiet house.  I checked all of the faucets, tubs, under the cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms, couldn't find any leaks or wet spots anywhere along the floors or walls, looked around the outside of the house on the back nearest the bathroom walls...nothing.  I still haven't gotten the shower valve replaced from months ago that I need to get fixed (I've been using the other shower and gearing myself up to spending the big amount quoted to get both the pipes/valves replaced in both bathrooms).  So I thought maybe there was another leak inside the walls.  But when I did some googling, I got really scared because the symptoms seemed like a leak under the slab which could definitely be a big deal. I finally went out to check the front of the house and found that my flower bed along the outside of the front porch was awash.  I could see water bubbling up from the ground a couple of feet into the yard.  So, there's something else to have fixed.  At least it will spur me to get the bathroom pipes done, since I don't want it to get bigger and flood the neighborhood.  A couple of good things, though--I pay a flat rate for water, so at least I won't get a huge water bill and at least I don't have wild water on the loose in my walls.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm exactly the same way. I tell the nurse to not even say my BP out loud because it just makes it worse. It's weird because I've never had a bad experience there. I don't know what it is but when I see that BP cuff come out, I get all twirly and chaotic.

Yep, sometimes it’s normal, sometimes it’s high.  When I go to my Cardiologist, it’s high.  I asked him why is it normal in others doctors and high when I come here?  He replied “because we have better equipment”.  WTF?  I went home, called for my records to be forwarded to another Cardiologist and dumped him.  He lost two customers, me and my husband.  I bought a new bp machine for home 5 months ago.  I took it once.  I don’t want to know.  Besides, I believe hormones or lack of have something to do with bp.

• Love 1

People shaming dresses worn casually. Why do some folks think we need an event to wear a dress?

Most people compliment my style and say I always look cute, but there's someone who never fails to ask me where I'm going and says I'm so dressed up for a regular day.

Dresses can be more comfortable, more affordable, less work to wear (no matching a top to a bottom), and more flattering. Plus, they make me feel more feminine and pretty. I wear jeans too and love them on others, but stop trying to make them the everyday uniform for all of us if there's not a party or something special going on. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Most people compliment my style and say I always look cute, but there's someone who never fails to ask me where I'm going and says I'm so dressed up for a regular day.

If people are just asking you where you're going (and thereby assuming you do have an event) I wouldn't really call that shaming.  We need to stop overusing that word.

But, yeah, people can where whatever they want as long as they're fully covered.

• Love 2

Well, the plumber that I usually use is totally booked until Saturday and since I can't have the water leak going on until then (anyone wanna buy some waterfront property?  Cheap?) and I can't do without water until then, I had to call someone else.  They can't get here until after 5pm so I'm going to have to get someone to work my evening shift today.  I also called the city and had them come out and cut off my water at the street temporarily (after I had filled just about every container I had and my two bathtubs with water).  It wouldn't have been such a huge problem (mess) if we hadn't just gotten almost 10 inches of rain several days ago and the ground was still saturated.  The water had no place to go so my yard was mushy and it was even beginning to run out of the curb along the street. 

8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

People shaming dresses worn casually. Why do some folks think we need an event to wear a dress?

Dresses can be more comfortable, more affordable, less work to wear (no matching a top to a bottom), and more flattering. Plus, they make me feel more feminine and pretty. I wear jeans too and love them on others, but stop trying to make them the everyday uniform for all of us if there's not a party or something special going on. 

I have a long torso, so dresses are the easiest way for me to dress.  My closet is full of dresses which are already long enough that  I can just thrown on and be ready.  With my pants and shirts, I have to spend time figuring out the possible combinations that cover everything.  Just this morning, I realized the shirt I wanted to wear with the pants I already had on was too short.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I don’t get that either.  I think we’ve become such a casual society (and the pandemic isn’t helping) that wearing a dress, even very casual ones = “dressed up.”  Guys wearing button down shirts and khakis get similar comments, though not as often. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Guys wearing button down shirts and khakis get similar comments, though not as often. 

My husband wore a suit to work in the Before Times because we had an event to go to immediately after - his boss called him into his office to ask if he was going somewhere for a job interview.  Wouldn't call it shaming  but guys just do not wear suits to work for most jobs anymore so when they do boy does it get noticed!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

If people are just asking you where you're going (and thereby assuming you do have an event) I wouldn't really call that shaming.  We need to stop overusing that word.

But, yeah, people can where whatever they want as long as they're fully covered.

Okay, the individual I'm referring to subtly puts me down for wearing dresses. lol

Like I said, most people are nice and complimentary towards me. I'm not talking about someone randomly asking where I'm going either. I can of course see that being an innocent question from someone who doesn't know me. The woman I referred to never fails to ask why I'm dressed up and tells me that I'm really dressed up just to be doing whatever it is I'm doing that day. I've told her I'm just girlie, love clothes, doesn't seem to make a difference. 

5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have a long torso, so dresses are the easiest way for me to dress.  My closet is full of dresses which are already long enough that  I can just thrown on and be ready.  With my pants and shirts, I have to spend time figuring out the possible combinations that cover everything.  Just this morning, I realized the shirt I wanted to wear with the pants I already had on was too short.  

Exactly! I'm thin, but my body type shows weight easily, and my butt is big compared to the rest of me. I can feel super self-conscious in jeans. I especially feel like my body looks more sexual than I'm comfortable with in the tight, trendy jeans. I get even more attention from men in pants than I do in beautiful dresses because I'm curvier. A few pounds of weight gain doesn't show in my dresses, and my butt is played down. 

4 hours ago, PRgal said:

I don’t get that either.  I think we’ve become such a casual society (and the pandemic isn’t helping) that wearing a dress, even very casual ones = “dressed up.”  Guys wearing button down shirts and khakis get similar comments, though not as often. 

Yep, and like Katy M, I don't care how other people dress so long as their bits are covered. (I get secondhand embarrassment when I see someone's pants falling down their butt. I also cringe at stuff I wore myself when I was younger.) I'd never say "Gee, you're dressed really casually for work. Don't you get bored wearing jeans every day? We can do better than wearing sweatpants to go shopping." We're all comfortable in different things, and that's fine.  

• Love 4

Well, the plumber just left and I have to get the entire water line from the house connection near the porch all the way to the connection at the street.  Not cheap, but he gave me a break because he's going to have his young helpers (sons, maybe?) dig the trench by hand instead of renting a trencher (which would add a lot to the cost and also at least three more days to the job).  Hopefully, he'll get it finished by end of day tomorrow or by the next day at the latest.  I'm glad I filled up all containers, since I'll have water for cooking and drinking, but it's sponge baths for me for the next day or so! (yay?)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

Well, the plumber just left and I have to get the entire water line from the house connection near the porch all the way to the connection at the street.  Not cheap, but he gave me a break because he's going to have his young helpers (sons, maybe?) dig the trench by hand instead of renting a trencher (which would add a lot to the cost and also at least three more days to the job).  Hopefully, he'll get it finished by end of day tomorrow or by the next day at the latest.  I'm glad I filled up all containers, since I'll have water for cooking and drinking, but it's sponge baths for me for the next day or so! (yay?)

I'm so glad you found someone who can do the job so quickly and for a good price!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

FYI y'all:

The yellow circle/screen toggle is BACK!

Putting this here, since most of the comments asking about its disappearance was in this thread.

Thank goodness.  It’s like an old friend came back.😀

Peeve: litter and the people who do so. Throw your trash in the proper receptacle (aka a trash can) and not the ground. Don't throw it out your car window, don't leave your half full cup in the parking lot. Throw your trash away! No trash can? Hang on to it until you can find one! It's not a difficult concept.

• Love 16
On 4/21/2021 at 6:57 PM, theredhead77 said:

Peeve: litter and the people who do so. Throw your trash in the proper receptacle (aka a trash can) and not the ground. Don't throw it out your car window, don't leave your half full cup in the parking lot. Throw your trash away! No trash can? Hang on to it until you can find one! It's not a difficult concept.

It can't be easier to put one of those plastic store bags, or some reusable alternative in your vehicle for trash.  As for cigarette butts, God made empty soda cans specifically for this purpose.  If you car doesn't have an ashtray, stick an empty soda can in one of the 436 cupholders, and voila!  No litter and no brushfires.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

What I am seeing a lot now are discarded masks.  Which as litter for 2020/21 makes sense but what I don't understand is - are people using them only once and then tossing them when they come out of a store?  Seems wasteful, to say the least.  If they don't care about litter or the environment you'd think they might care about wasting money.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

What I am seeing a lot now are discarded masks.  Which as litter for 2020/21 makes sense but what I don't understand is - are people using them only once and then tossing them when they come out of a store?

I think some of them might be people taking their masks off as they go to their car and not noticing that they've dropped it as they're fussing with bags and keys. Also, I loop mine over my forearm when I'm out walking and maybe other people do that too and it falls off. Those are the only "good" excuses I can think of, I imagine some people are just thoughtless. Thoughtless with money to toss away...

• Love 2

Some places like Walgreen's and doctor's offices give you a mask if you don't have one. So since it was free some people don't care about discarding it. Or littering either.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Is the Don't Be A litterbug campaign no longer being promoted in grade schools today? If not, they need to bring it back. 

• Love 4