Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I also started a No Homepage thread in the Bugs forum. Hopefully with the multiple complaints, they'll fix it. 

As is, it's a major PITA.

I don't see it there!  Did they delete?

Now there's a link down at the bottom of the giant-ass home page that says "Choose your default homepage tab in account settings", but when I click on it, I can't find anywhere within those settings about a customized home page.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Now there's a link down at the bottom of the giant-ass home page that says "Choose your default homepage tab in account settings", but when I click on it, I can't find anywhere within those settings about a customized home page.

I noticed that too. Hope it means they’re still working on things...

• Love 4

I have another grocery store peeve and that is the stocking of products way at the back of the top shelf.  The top shelf should not be as deep as the other shelves.  I am sure that at least 75% of shoppers cannot reach the stuff at the back.

• Love 5

If you're experiencing everything being squished or generally looking messed up go to the bottom of your page and change the "theme" to IPS Default. 

The ignore feature still doesn't work, either but that hasn't been working for quite some time.

It appears all the followed content is still being followed but is not being displayed on the home page. Hopefully it's just a toggle they need to re-enable. I can't find the referenced area to manage the homepage, either.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I have another grocery store peeve and that is the stocking of products way at the back of the top shelf.  The top shelf should not be as deep as the other shelves.  I am sure that at least 75% of shoppers cannot reach the stuff at the back.

I will ask a grocery store employee to reach things like that for me.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

If you're experiencing everything being squished or generally looking messed up go to the bottom of your page and change the "theme" to IPS Default. 

The ignore feature still doesn't work, either but that hasn't been working for quite some time.

It appears all the followed content is still being followed but is not being displayed on the home page. Hopefully it's just a toggle they need to re-enable. I can't find the referenced area to manage the homepage, either.

Admin posted everyone’s comments and questions in the Bugs thread  and directed us to the updated notice about the upgrade at the top of the page. In short, still working on getting everything back, but no time when that will happen.

“The software devs are still working on a few items including the Customised Homepage. Please bear with us while they do this, apologies for the inconvenience folks. No ETA as yet on when that'll be. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again for your patience.”

ETA-quote code not working either!🤬🤬🤬

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
17 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

You can actually find an employee when you need one?  Wow.  You're lucky.

Well, I do sometimes have to hunt one down and drag them halfway back across the store. I think I've gotten the store manager to reach things for me a couple of times.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I will ask a grocery store employee to reach things like that for me.

When I worked at a bookstore, I was always the one that people came to if they needed something from a top shelf that was out of their reach...and I would do that for both customers and many of my co-workers :p. 

I'm also the one who has to reach for stuff at home, too. The joys of being the tallest one in your family, LOL. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Well, I do sometimes have to hunt one down and drag them halfway back across the store. I think I've gotten the store manager to reach things for me a couple of times.

I got another customer to help me reach something on the top shelf just the other day.  I don't have time to hunt down an employee.  If you look pathetic enough, people will stop to help.  And I don't have to work too hard to look pathetic. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I got another customer to help me reach something on the top shelf just the other day.  I don't have time to hunt down an employee.  If you look pathetic enough, people will stop to help.  And I don't have to work too hard to look pathetic. 

I have helped many a fellow customer at the grocery store; I'm tall enough (5'9") to be able to reach everything, so when I see someone struggling, stretched out from toes to fingers, trying to reach something on the top shelf, I ask if they'd like me to get that for them.  And, yep, they're thankful, because it's a lot quicker than hunting down an employee.

Edited by Bastet
somehow quoted wrong post
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I'm 4'11" and I can't *see* the stuff on the top shelf of most grocery stores beyond whatever is right at the very front. So if there is product more than a couple of inches behind the front edge of the shelf, I don't even know its there.

As to reaching, I like to give tall people an opportunity to be "tall for me", which is how I ask for their help. ("Would you please be tall for me and grab that yogurt?") Never been turned down yet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, isalicat said:

As to reaching, I like to give tall people an opportunity to be "tall for me", which is how I ask for their help. ("Would you please be tall for me and grab that yogurt?") Never been turned down yet.

I have made the day of many a teenage boy when I've asked for help to reach something.  It's really sweet actually how proud they are to be able to do something for the short lady 😀.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, isalicat said:

I have no idea where you are (geographically speaking, of course!), but in California it is the norm (in my experience) that if there is enough room to get right of a car in the right lane if you need to make a right turn you go for it - you can turn right against the red or stop sign in Cali if you are clear and in L.A. since everyone drives like they are going to the emergency room *right now*, it is expected that if you leave that room on your right whilst you are going straight, a car will probably be there.

Damn straight. You better leave room for people to squeeze in for that right turn. And get your ass in the intersection so you can make that left turn as soon as it's clear, and so you and 3 cars behind you can turn left when that light turns yellow. So many people here refuse to move into the intersection to turn left on a green. They sit behind the crosswalk waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear and if it doesn't do they go on the yellow? Nope.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

My minor peeve right now is that the “top” arrow is suddenly missing at the bottom here and now I have to scroll and scroll. Where did it go?

I'd guess it went the way of the customized home page...hopefully to return in short order. 

3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

If you're experiencing everything being squished or generally looking messed up go to the bottom of your page and change the "theme" to IPS Default

I love IPS Default because (don't tell TPTB) - no ads! 

54 minutes ago, isalicat said:

As to reaching, I like to give tall people an opportunity to be "tall for me", which is how I ask for their help. ("Would you please be tall for me and grab that yogurt?")

How did you know what I was shopping for??  :) 

• LOL 3
7 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

That's an extra step/download/whatever...  IPS Default is right here!

Yeah, but it works everywhere. When I go to a site that won't load because I have an ad blocker, and I turn it off, I'm horrified at how much crap ends up on my screen.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

That's an extra step/download/whatever...  IPS Default is right here!

You just changed my life, @ebk57! Thank you!! I read the forums on my phone and the ads drive me bananas! AdBlock Plus doesn't work in Chrome's Android browser, though I definitely use it on my laptop.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Damn straight. You better leave room for people to squeeze in for that right turn. And get your ass in the intersection so you can make that left turn as soon as it's clear, and so you and 3 cars behind you can turn left when that light turns yellow. So many people here refuse to move into the intersection to turn left on a green. They sit behind the crosswalk waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear and if it doesn't do they go on the yellow? Nope.

There are too many aggressive drivers where I live that I drive defensively.  I will stay behind the line until I can safely make the left turn on the few intersections in my area where that is an option.  Here most left turns have their own light separate from the traffic going straight because of the amount of accidents that have happened over the years.  We also have issues with assholes who drive under the speed limit until they see a yellow light and gun it, so you may not have the ability to turn before the light turns red.  They also think nothing of changing lanes in the middle of the intersection.  

• Love 2
On 4/15/2021 at 6:20 AM, icemiser69 said:

I never in a million years would want to live in a big city.  Never.

The truth here is many people are moving south because of the crime in New York City.  The once beautiful city has closed museums, plays, restaurants, etc.  People are shooting on trains in the city and on streets for NO REASON.  It’s not safe anymore.  We used to frequent the city from Long Island lots of time, but now I’m scared shit to go there.  Many celebrities left the city to live in the Hamptons, and is now overcrowded.  We do love to go to Florida for a couple of weeks tho in the winter.  Wish I could afford two houses, but can’t.  Lots of people are moving to the Carolinas as I heard it’s beautiful there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

The truth here is many people are moving south because of the crime in New York City.  The once beautiful city has closed museums, plays, restaurants, etc.  People are shooting on trains in the city and on streets for NO REASON.  It’s not safe anymore.  We used to frequent the city from Long Island lots of time, but now I’m scared shit to go there.  Many celebrities left the city to live in the Hamptons, and is now overcrowded.  We do love to go to Florida for a couple of weeks tho in the winter.  Wish I could afford two houses, but can’t.  Lots of people are moving to the Carolinas as I heard it’s beautiful there.

It really depends on where in the Carolinas you move to.  The mountains and the beaches are beautiful, the land in between not so much.  The Coastal Plain in NC is all farmland with all the associated aromas.  Cities are fun, but with so many people moving in, housing prices have skyrocketed.  And as soon as you move out of the city, things  change very rapidly.  

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

The weather is great except it's boiling and muggy in May through September. I wouldn't be so sure about the crime. Charlotte isn't that great.

Screenshot_20210417-123713_copy_1440x1280.thumb.png.1a57a4b40962250e9493a9920edf886f.png

Also, in the last couple of weeks, 2 people arrested after transgender women murdered in Charlotte. FBI assisted CMPD.

As the largest city in the Carolinas and second-most populous municipality in the South, Charlotte is as crime-ridden as any other large city, while lacking any distinct personality besides "conservative banking hub of the East Coast". I wish I could move.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I'll take my chances in New York

image.thumb.png.e62994b336ad4081704343e72e8731c7.png

Or just go home

image.thumb.png.ac8c8373776af3f015d92c45799082cf.png

• Love 8
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The weather is great except it's boiling and muggy in May through September. I wouldn't be so sure about the crime. Charlotte isn't that great.

Screenshot_20210417-123713_copy_1440x1280.thumb.png.1a57a4b40962250e9493a9920edf886f.png

Also, in the last couple of weeks, 2 people arrested after transgender women murdered in Charlotte. FBI assisted CMPD.

As the largest city in the Carolinas and second-most populous municipality in the South, Charlotte is as crime-ridden as any other large city, while lacking any distinct personality besides "conservative banking hub of the East Coast". I wish I could move.

Yeah,I guess.  Look at the mid west and Chicago.  Same baloney.  Not safe anywhere.  Guess we’ve got to take chances or stay home and go on these blogs, lol.  That’s all I’ve been doing .. grocery and this.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

@Bilgistic said this.  Not me.  Don’t know what happened.  Anyway, the husband and I once took a ride to Raleigh, N. Carolina.  We could barely walk from the car to the store, it was sooo hot and muggy.  Worse than Florida.  We checked out next morning and rode back to New York.  It gets a little humid here in August, but not like that.

• Love 3

Violent  Crime in the last 2-3 decades has actually plummeted all over the country.  

Youll see the same trend in all major cities. 

It's one of the paradoxes of our times.  Random mass shootings have gone up over that same time period but overall violent crime has trended down for years everywhere, all across the country. 

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2019/09/30/new-fbi-data-violent-crime-still-falling

Another source. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/many-americans-are-convinced-crime-is-rising-in-the-u-s-theyre-wrong/

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Came here to second the statistical decline in violent crime. We're just getting 24/7/365 feeds of it directly into our veins now thanks to the internet, and to the television/podcast obsession with true crime docs. 

Also came here to second: "Carolinas? Beautiful?". I mean, at least we have seasons (unlike south Florida), but the seasons are roughly:

--Two nice weeks of spring

--Pollen tornado season <--We are here

--Inferno that you could bake clay pots in (~3 months)

--Two nice weeks of fake fall

--Inferno part 2

--One week of real fall

--Cold rain for two months

--One week of ice storms

repeat

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Yay - the custom home page is back! 

But, just to keep it on topic, a very, very minor "peeve" - when I click "mark forum read", the "ok" and "cancel" buttons have been reversed.  Which means I have to pay attention.  I hate paying attention.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

But, just to keep it on topic, a very, very minor "peeve" - when I click "mark forum read", the "ok" and "cancel" buttons have been reversed.  Which means I have to pay attention.  I hate paying attention.

Where is the button that brings you to the top again automatically?  Mine is gone.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Our long national nightmare is over!

Okay, the two-day navigation inconvenience for posters on an internet forum has ended.

But I'm quite happy.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
On 4/15/2021 at 1:53 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have respect for New Yorkers.  They don't bullshit you.  If they like you, they like you and you know it.  If they can't stand you, you know it.  I like knowing where I stand with people.  In my previous job, I spent about 3 weeks working in NYC one year.  Maybe because I was not a clueless idiot and I am respectful of people's time, but I found the people I interacted with to be very polite.  I grew up in a suburb of Cleveland and I went into the city on many occasions, so I know how to handle myself in the city, ie. get out of peoples' way when you are lost, no lollygagging, etc.  The only thing that perplexed me was on both occasions I was there I had asked people at my hotel where the best place to get a slice of pizza nearby and they responded with "what kind?"  

Haha that is so true.  On every block we have loads of pizza 🍕 places and Chinese food.  My specialty slice of pizza is a whole salad on top with olive oil and wine vinegar.  As soon as us New Yorkers start to talk, we sound like the Jersey Housewives.  Yikes !  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Haha that is so true.  On every block we have loads of pizza 🍕 places and Chinese food.  My specialty slice of pizza is a whole salad on top with olive oil and wine vinegar.  As soon as us New Yorkers start to talk, we sound like the Jersey Housewives.  Yikes !  

Don’t forget bagels. 😋 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

My indecisiveness resulted in me having to book an inconvenient flight. I booked a flight to CA in July and was just debating between my flight home thinking there is no way airfare would do much over the next week. I was so wrong. My usual flight started at $155 and as of this morning it jumped to $329. Usually it jumps a bit and goes down, not this time. It just kept going up and up. Yesterday I booked a red-eye at the $155 price.

15 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Where is the button that brings you to the top again automatically?  Mine is gone.

As the admin stated, they are still working on it. The first priority was getting the customized home page back. The yellow arrow toggle has disappeared after the upgrade on Friday.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

As the admin stated, they are still working on it. The first priority was getting the customized home page back. The yellow arrow toggle has disappeared after the upgrade on Friday.

Thanks so much for answering.  😀

• Love 1
On 4/17/2021 at 12:08 AM, bilgistic said:

You just changed my life, @ebk57! Thank you!! I read the forums on my phone and the ads drive me bananas! AdBlock Plus doesn't work in Chrome's Android browser, though I definitely use it on my laptop.

I'm glad it helped!!

After checking out the Bugs thread, I see there is a question about getting to the first unread post in a thread, so I thought I'd let people know that in IPS Default, you need to click on the circle or star to the left of the thread title to get you to the first unread post. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 4/15/2021 at 12:48 PM, theredhead77 said:

She's right. You need to get one. They aren't comfortable but it's better than the alternative.

Exactly. Just don't get one immediately after getting a COVID-19 vaccine like I did, and I had to go back and get more pictures taken. They're now telling women to wait at least a month after being fully vaccinated because the antibodies are showing up in the mammograms.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm sick of all the ads that have taken over my facebook page. Every time I go to FB, I have to get rid of all the ads between friends' posts. Am I the only one battling the ads or is this a new problem with FB?

Facebook has been inundating me with their Groups feature as of late.  I already belong to a couple of groups over there.  But instead of showing me groups based upon my interests, it keeps on showing me the groups my other FB friends are in.  It's great that I know people who garden, but I have a black thumb.  That last thing I want is to join a group about plants.  And yet, it appears after almost every post.  My FB feed is post, ad, post, join groups, post, ad, join groups, etc.  It's starting to become unusable.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My FB feed is post, ad, post, join groups, post, ad, join groups, etc.  It's starting to become unusable.

Mine is post, ad, post, ad, post, ad, post, ad, etc., etc., etc.! They've taken the fun out of Facebook (which has let me enjoy watching our grandson in MN growing up, my sister's grandkids' activities, keeping in touch with far-flung cousins).  Sheesh. And there's no way to stop them either (but, hold on kids...you can let FB know which ads you'd like to see...isn't that special?)

4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Mine is post, ad, post, ad, post, ad, post, ad, etc., etc., etc.! They've taken the fun out of Facebook

4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My FB feed is post, ad, post, join groups, post, ad, join groups, etc.  It's starting to become unusable.

I feel about FB now the way I feel about cable TV - they are both losing business to other venues so how are they rewarding those still sticking around?  ENDLESS COMMERCIALS that's how.  It's so maddening.  I keep telling myself to pull the cable and FB plugs but at least for now they still serve a purpose for me.  But I am getting closer and closer to making my move.

• Love 4