Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, magicdog said:

I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for a book that should have arrived the first of the month!!

I ordered a book in January. It still isn’t here and when I contacted the seller on Amazon they said they would get a replacement to me right away. Well, it’s been another 10 days and I’m still waiting. The author Jane Fallon recommends the Book Depository which has worldwide shipping. A lot of us in my book club are now starting to use it versus Amazon or Barnes and Noble. 

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I do, and I contemplated posting my peeve there.  It would fit, of course, but since it was extra-peeving yesterday, I decided to post it here.

There have been many days recently when I could have posted hourly on both threads (Pet Peeves and Literally).  But I hold myself back because I don't want to become a peeve myself and I don't want to be chastised for starting a sentence with "there".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Someone posting on here noted that we both like to start Solitaire and/or another game with black aces. Whoever it was...yes! And each time I wait for a black ace to pop up so I can start, I wonder about myself and imagine playing in Las Vegas where I'd have to pay, right? for all the games I passed up, and being thought a goofball 😄v I've never been there & have no plans to go, but I still wonder.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

What is with the ads on this site?!? First the "facial massager" and now this...

Screenshot_20210307-012054_copy_720x848.thumb.png.e013193a36cc30ace943455ab94b156d.png

I'm not sure that I wouldn't prefer these to the ones for adult diapers that I generally get.

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Someone posting on here noted that we both like to start Solitaire and/or another game with black aces. Whoever it was...yes! And each time I wait for a black ace to pop up so I can start, I wonder about myself and imagine playing in Las Vegas where I'd have to pay, right? for all the games I passed up, and being thought a goofball 😄v I've never been there & have no plans to go, but I still wonder.

That was me. I like to pretend that if I were in a Solitaire tournament, you'd get to turn down three games before you have to start. I don't start with the first black ace though, I won't start a game unless my first move is the top card on the far right pile because it's usually a treasure trove of low cards. I automatically won't start a game if there is a red king on the far left end. I told you I have ridiculously strict rules.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That was me. I like to pretend that if I were in a Solitaire tournament,

Do they have solitaire tournaments?  Honestly asking since I don't know if you were just making it up to make your point.  

Share this post


Link to post

32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Do they have solitaire tournaments?  Honestly asking since I don't know if you were just making it up to make your point.  

I had to look it up. Apparently there are online Solitaire tournaments where you play for money. TIL.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

TIL.

Boo - I'm usually good at figuring these things out from context, but my guess was "Things I've Learned" and the internet tells me it's "Today I Learned".  Close!

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Today's pet peeve: my cousin who could be crowned Queen of the Thin Skinned has now posted (to this moment) at least 5 memes all on the subject of "So what  random thing is everyone (as in stupid people)  getting offended over today".   I've decided to refrain from pointing to her own posts detailing random things she has decided to be offended over.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That was me. I like to pretend that if I were in a Solitaire tournament, you'd get to turn down three games before you have to start. I don't start with the first black ace though, I won't start a game unless my first move is the top card on the far right pile because it's usually a treasure trove of low cards. I automatically won't start a game if there is a red king on the far left end. I told you I have ridiculously strict rules.

Wow! You're tough and brave 😉  Yup, the right side has all the good stuff. I didn't know there were tournaments. I just thought that in LV, they have tables where people play this game but are watched by a staff member and that if you finish, it's judged on the amount of time it took to "win".  I live in my own little world sometimes ;>)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wow! You're tough and brave 😉  Yup, the right side has all the good stuff. I didn't know there were tournaments. I just thought that in LV, they have tables where people play this game but are watched by a staff member and that if you finish, it's judged on the amount of time it took to "win".  I live in my own little world sometimes ;>)

So do I. 😉

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of online games - today's pet peeve:  One is not a winning streak.  A game I play gets giddy and excited when I win and makes this grand announcement about my winning streak of one game.  Mmmkay!

  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, Leeds said:

It took until 2000 for the British government to stop charging VAT (sales tax) on tampons, sanitary towels etc.  Apparently they aren't "essential".

There is a bill in our state that is wending it's way through the system to stop paying taxes on menstrual products (I read somewhere it was originally called feminine products but some objected because then who decides what that means.)  Right now, it is taxed at 6% rate.  

And currently more states than not charge  for the privilege of menstruating on a regular basis.  (link to map) 

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was at a meeting today where we were supposed to introduce ourselves by telling everyone where our names, where we’re from and our preferred pronoun.  I just told people to figure it out themselves.  I don’t think we should have been forced to do so if we didn’t want to (the slide the mod used certainly didn’t indicate it was optional).  I feel that the rest of the group did it due to peer pressure.  

  • Like 3
  • Surprise 5

Share this post


Link to post

The word "co-ed" really gets on my nerves! Why is it still being used to indicate that a student is female?

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

The word "co-ed" really gets on my nerves! Why is it still being used to indicate that a student is female?

Well, they finally stopped using "actress" so  maybe, if we're lucky, in another 5 years they'll give up on co-ed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I admit that "actress" and the like doesn't bother me, really. But co-ed is just so stupid.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

My pet peeve today is gas leaks. I had a leak at my house a few years ago that required all new gas lines be installed (very old house and very old pipes) and I never once smelled a leak that would have tipped me off. We had a winter storm a few weeks ago and since I had a toilet and tub freeze, I decided to have the plumber come out to check that everything was okay. The water pipes are fine, but he discovered a small gas leak that is being fixed. And I never smelled anything yet again! I swear I have a good sense of smell; even the dog has never acted like she's smelled anything odd. 

  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, Leeds said:

It took until 2000 for the British government to stop charging VAT (sales tax) on tampons, sanitary towels etc.  Apparently they aren't "essential".

Technically they aren't essential.  Any more than disposable diapers or disposable Depends.   They're just convenient.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Technically they aren't essential.  Any more than disposable diapers or disposable Depends.   They're just convenient.

Right. I mean toilet paper is non essential when you can just use rags and wash them out.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Thankfully, both diapers and tampons/pads/sponges/cups are exempt from sales tax here in CA.  Because, yeah, they are necessities.  And a hell of a lot more so than, say, Pop Tarts and marshmallows.  Or magazines.  And those are just some grocery store examples of what is exempt from sales tax in some states.  Then there are things like BINGO supplies.  (An attorney advocating for adding menstrual supplies to necessities lists nationwide studied the tax codes of all 50 states, uncovering all manner of things states have deemed necessities for sales tax purposes that aren't remotely as necessary as menstrual products.)  It's not just groceries and medicine on the exemption list to begin with, and even in states that don't tax medical and health supplies, most of them exclude menstrual supplies from that category.  How are they different from other medical and health supplies?  Gee, let me ponder that.

Right now the CA exemption only last for two years (it's part of the budget bill), but hopefully it will be made part of sales tax law.  Along with toilet paper.  That's a necessity, too!  (Gee, I guess states are swimming in all that extra income generated by TP hoarding last year.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Tampons, pads, and all feminine hygiene products are exempt from sales tax in MD. They are considered medical products.

And yeah, there were absolutely essential to me due to my condition. And I don't mean just me being a female.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, they finally stopped using "actress" so  maybe, if we're lucky, in another 5 years they'll give up on co-ed.

I didn’t know it was still used in that way.  Coed to me, means a school with students of all genders.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Then there are things like BINGO supplies

Dammit, I NEED my bingo supplies! 😆

  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Right. I mean toilet paper is non essential when you can just use rags and wash them out.

And, I don't generally hear people complain that toilet paper is taxed.  Or toothpaste.  Or antiperspirpant.  It's jus the feminine products for some odd reason.  Yes, I know the reason.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It's jus the feminine products for some odd reason.  Yes, I know the reason.

Do you not feel it's a good reason to be annoyed about it if you are still living in an area where it is taxed?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Do you not feel it's a good reason to be annoyed about it if you are still living in an area where it is taxed?

I do live in an area where it's taxed.  I do buy them.  Paying tas on them doesn't bother me in the least.  And if the reason is what I think it is, yes, it bothers me enough to be more than annoyed about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dumbo, Peter Pan, Jungle Book, and Lady and the Tramp are adult content now.

I don't understand the world anymore.  I'm glad I was a kid when I was a kid and not now. 

I think I'm going to go watch some videos of rock stars fighting to stop warning labels going on music and pretend its the 80s again.  

Because now childhood rebellion is watching Dumbo.

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Dumbo, Peter Pan, Jungle Book, and Lady and the Tramp are adult content now.

I don't understand the world anymore.  I'm glad I was a kid when I was a kid and not now. 

I think I'm going to go watch some videos of rock stars fighting to stop warning labels going on music and pretend its the 80s again.  

Because now childhood rebellion is watching Dumbo.

 

This. I'm glad I grew up in the 80s and was a teen in the 90s.  Back then, being "bad" would be watching a music video with too much nudity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Dumbo, Peter Pan, Jungle Book, and Lady and the Tramp are adult content now.

 

What does mean?

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

What does mean?

Disney+ has now made these movies under parental control. Due to the racist and sexist themes in them. But I didn’t know about Lady and the Tramp! The world has gone mad. I heard how Pepe Le Pew has also been removed from the latest Space Jam because his character was a sexual harasser. That’s what I heard.

I will echo @ParadoxLost and state I am so glad I was a kid when I was a kid.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ah thanks!  I wondered!  My kids are long past the age where I am monitoring their TV viewing and sadly (thank you so much Covid) I haven't been around my grandkids either.  I guess I don't see this as a big issue - I'd much rather see a warning label than have the movies unavailable or majorly (is that a word?) cut up.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/3/2021 at 7:40 PM, auntlada said:

Burned popcorn is when everyone gets a break from work. The fire alarms go off, and everybody has to leave the building.

LOL reminds me of years ago when DH was having heart surgery, I along with many others was sitting in the waiting room. Suddenly the fire alarm went off and firefighters exited the elevators. Not one single person got up and left the room.  Turned out after all it was burned popcorn in the microwave, but not one of us ever left that room! Priorities....

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

They all have some racist stereotypes and thus come with a content warning.

Right.  They have offensive content that parents may not want their kids to see or, most likely, want to discuss the context and meaning of rather than just having kids blindly click on.  So there's an alert to that fact. 

The horror?

  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But I didn’t know about Lady and the Tramp!

I was going to say it must be the ultrasexy spaghetti eating scene, but then I realized it's the siamese cats.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 1/26/2021 at 11:30 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I also STILL have all my 45s and LPs! Just don't have the record player any more! I think my parents took it with them when they moved to India after retiring!

Bet Amazon has them.

Share this post


Link to post

Being the only one that posts in a show topic, and I can't decide if I am an idiot for watching the damn thing, or if others are missing out.  

Given the last episode, I am starting to think I am an idiot.

I suppose if I continue to be the only one posting it would be like my own private forum, though it does get lonely over there.

Anyone got any cheese?  I've brought the whine.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Being the only one that posts in a show topic, and I can't decide if I am an idiot for watching the damn thing, or if others are missing out.  

Given the last episode, I am starting to think I am an idiot.

I suppose if I continue to be the only one posting it would be like my own private forum, though it does get lonely over there.

Anyone got any cheese?  I've brought the whine.

Which show?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I suppose if I continue to be the only one posting it would be like my own private forum, though it does get lonely over there.

I've posted in a few old sitcoms lately that look like they used to get a fair bit of traffic but I seem to to the only one there now -  when I've posted I hear an echo.  I've decided not to take it personally 🙂 but I guess I won't post again unless the activity picks up.  I already talk to my self too much as it is!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve bookmarked a few of the old shows here myself and have observed the next to no activity for those topics too.  There’s one that I saw a posting in about 6 weeks ago and responded pretty quickly ... it’s been crickets since then.   Then there’s another one that sees a flurry of activity for a little bit then nothing for months.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, icemiser69 said:

Being the only one that posts in a show topic, and I can't decide if I am an idiot for watching the damn thing, or if others are missing out.  

Given the last episode, I am starting to think I am an idiot.

I suppose if I continue to be the only one posting it would be like my own private forum, though it does get lonely over there.

Anyone got any cheese?  I've brought the whine.

We need a "this thread is dead" topic to direct people to forums in groups.  So many topics I would gladly chat about but no one around to listen to me yammer on.  I'd be willing to prompt others to yammer too on just about any topic.  I miss having shows I watch that have constraint traffic.

Probably a repeat peeve but it deserves to be repeated.

Hiding price increases by reducing the quantity sold.

I was in the grocery store today and picked up some shredded cheese.  I did the scrunchy WTF is wrong with this cheese face  when I picked it up.  Its was lighter.  On inspection, the bag is redesigned so you can't see through the top half of the bag.  That's because this new blend of cheese is 6 oz and there is no cheese to see.  So I decided to go all ParadoxLost, P.I. in the dairy section.  The old blend I use is same price but 7.5 oz.  I'm pretty sure it used to be 8.oz like all the other cheese (got home and confirmed that the last time I bought it, it was 8 oz).

So here are two things that are about to happen.  Cheese brand X is gearing up to change all their cheese to only 6 oz for the same price they used to sell 8oz.  And its only a matter of time before all the other brands of cheese follow them with what is effectively 33% price increase.  I bought way too much cheese today but not of brand X.

I get that inflation is a thing.  But it annoys me that they just shrink the product and not packaging instead of raising the price because

  • the price would be lower if they reduced the packaging
  • the landfills would be less full if they reduced the packaging
  • the implication of propping up the ability to pretend that inflation isn't a thing by keeping the same price for less.  

 

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

We need a "this thread is dead" topic to direct people to forums in groups.  So many topics I would gladly chat about but no one around to listen to me yammer on.  I'd be willing to prompt others to yammer too on just about any topic.  I miss having shows I watch that have constraint traffic.

Probably a repeat peeve but it deserves to be repeated.

Hiding price increases by reducing the quantity sold.

I was in the grocery store today and picked up some shredded cheese.  I did the scrunchy WTF is wrong with this cheese face  when I picked it up.  Its was lighter.  On inspection, the bag is redesigned so you can't see through the top half of the bag.  That's because this new blend of cheese is 6 oz and there is no cheese to see.  So I decided to go all ParadoxLost, P.I. in the dairy section.  The old blend I use is same price but 7.5 oz.  I'm pretty sure it used to be 8.oz like all the other cheese (got home and confirmed that the last time I bought it, it was 8 oz).

So here are two things that are about to happen.  Cheese brand X is gearing up to change all their cheese to only 6 oz for the same price they used to sell 8oz.  And its only a matter of time before all the other brands of cheese follow them with what is effectively 25% price increase.  I bought way too much cheese today but not of brand X.

I get that inflation is a thing.  But it annoys me that they just shrink the product and not packaging instead of raising the price because

  • the price would be lower if they reduced the packaging
  • the landfills would be less full if they reduced the packaging
  • the implication of propping up the ability to pretend that inflation isn't a thing by keeping the same price for less.  

 

I would rather the price increase than the amount lowered.  When a recipe calls for two 8 ounce bags of cheese, you now need to buy 3 or realistically make it with less and it now doesn't taste as good.  Thank you for your service, doing the math I dont do.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

We need a "this thread is dead" topic to direct people to forums in groups.  So many topics I would gladly chat about but no one around to listen to me yammer on.  I'd be willing to prompt others to yammer too on just about any topic.  I miss having shows I watch that have constraint traffic.

Probably a repeat peeve but it deserves to be repeated.

Hiding price increases by reducing the quantity sold.

I was in the grocery store today and picked up some shredded cheese.  I did the scrunchy WTF is wrong with this cheese face  when I picked it up.  Its was lighter.  On inspection, the bag is redesigned so you can't see through the top half of the bag.  That's because this new blend of cheese is 6 oz and there is no cheese to see.  So I decided to go all ParadoxLost, P.I. in the dairy section.  The old blend I use is same price but 7.5 oz.  I'm pretty sure it used to be 8.oz like all the other cheese (got home and confirmed that the last time I bought it, it was 8 oz).

So here are two things that are about to happen.  Cheese brand X is gearing up to change all their cheese to only 6 oz for the same price they used to sell 8oz.  And its only a matter of time before all the other brands of cheese follow them with what is effectively 33% price increase.  I bought way too much cheese today but not of brand X.

I get that inflation is a thing.  But it annoys me that they just shrink the product and not packaging instead of raising the price because

  • the price would be lower if they reduced the packaging
  • the landfills would be less full if they reduced the packaging
  • the implication of propping up the ability to pretend that inflation isn't a thing by keeping the same price for less.  

 

I tend to add every show I've ever watched or even thought I might want to watch to my home page, so I see it bolded when there are new posts.  I may or may not have anything to add, but at least I read new comments.  So, thinking about it, I guess I'm not your peeve target - it's the people who don't do that or aren't aware of that functionality.

On the pricing, I've gotten in the habit of checking the cost per unit (most stores seem to be good about posting that).  If it's something where I have no particular brand preference, that helps me decide.  There used to be a consumer blog that sometimes focused on the "grocery shrink ray" - products where they stealthily reduced the amount per package.  ("The Consumerist" maybe?  I wonder what happened to that...?)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I bought way too much cheese

no comprendo

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 16

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I tend to add every show I've ever watched or even thought I might want to watch to my home page, so I see it bolded when there are new posts. I may or may not have anything to add, but at least I read new comments. 

Same here.  I don't even like NYPD Blue, but I have it on my home page since I nonetheless watched it for several years because the people I was living with at the time liked it, and I did like several of the characters.  So I glance at discussion in that thread when it occurs, even though I usually don't have anything to add.

30 minutes ago, Quof said:

no comprendo

Yeah, I'd have to go count the wedges, but I'm sure there are at least 10 different kinds of cheese in my refrigerator right now. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Quof said:
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I bought way too much cheese

no comprendo

Oh, I know!  That’s like “leftover wine”. 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sure this will sound like a "get off my lawn" peeve, but who decided that X is now "and"? What was wrong with +, or "plus", or "and", or "with"? It annoys the hell out of me, it makes everything look so pretentious.

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size