Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

After complaining about just this issue (packages left on my front doorstep, which is totally visible to everybody walking or driving by) to my local postal carrier, I was told that because of Covid they are no longer "allowed" to ring my doorbell to let me know about a package delivered (or to ring my doorbell to pick up a package either). I don't quite understand (given they are all wearing protective gloves) how a doorbell is so hazardous but there it is. The Fedex and UPS people here do ring the doorbell but also just dump the package and skedaddle away, so if I'm not home the package just sits there (hopefully) as my cat is not about to go and get it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I've added the line "Plz deliver to the back porch" to all my packages.  Fat lot of good it does me.  

Our house has a walkway from the driveway to the back of the house, and none to the front of the house so it seems obvious to me and due to the walkway issue, we never use the front door.   

But go figure, even with that line added, the delivery drivers squish through the grass/snow/mud to drop it on the front porch stairs.  I now just follow my delivery notices in my email and check each door once it's marked delivered.  

I don't know how many deliveries drivers do in a day but I get why they just drop off the packages as annoying as it might be.  For one even if it's 30 seconds each time that adds up over a day's worth of packages. Then there is the potential for questions and getting stuck dealing with whoever answers the door and however that interaction goes. Much easier and time saving to drop off and go as long as no signature is needed for delivery. 

• Love 2
On 3/18/2021 at 1:36 PM, isalicat said:

If you have lots of extra plastic grocery bags you don't need, please consider donating them to your local food pantry. We happily take them and use them to bag fresh fruits and vegetables for our neighbors in need!

Only associated pet peeve: When people give us those teeny plastic bags that hold like three carrots....and are too thin so once that fourth carrot or potato goes in, the bottom of the bag gives out.

Oh that is a great suggestion! I am drowning in plastic bags, no recycle available here. I will call and see if they want them!

• Love 1

The package delivery thing is an uber pet peeve of mine as well.  No one rings or knocks to announce deliveries anymore.  At one time, one of them did, can't remember which service, but that seems to have gone by the wayside.  We have little mini railings on either side of our front door, which while not a privacy fence, would serve to help conceal packages from the street, which is approx 50-60 ft from the house.  Does anyone actually take the time to place the boxes/pkgs begind them?  Noooo.  Let's plop the boxes smack in the center of the porch slab, sometimes right in front of the door, so as to block the door from opening from the inside.

I don't really give a <bleep> about a driver's schedule, as it would take about 2 seconds longer to show care when delivering, vs. how they do it.

php6ZMeKaAM.jpg

• Love 1

And if they didn't place them in front of the door people would complain they didn't see them and didn't know if was there.

No one cares about the driver schedule,......until their delivery is late, or delayed, or the delivery fee goes up by having more drivers.   Or prices go up for the same reason. 

They are delivering stuff strsight to your door often for free.  All you have to do is get it off the porch.  Might be annoying but consider the alternative. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And if they didn't place them in front of the door people would complain they didn't see them and didn't know if was there.

No one cares about the driver schedule,......until their delivery is late, or delayed, or the delivery fee goes up by having more drivers.   Or prices go up for the same reason. 

They are delivering stuff strsight to your door often for free.  All you have to do is get it off the porch.  Might be annoying but consider the alternative. 

Yes, some people will complain about anything, and drivers of freight trucks are no different.  I know they often have to wade through snow piles, and risk life and limb on icy sidewalks...but not at my house.  I take care of those things, especially when I know a delivery is coming, and I'm "doing that for free".

• Love 3
On 3/18/2021 at 9:10 PM, theatremouse said:

When I order a pair of scissors online and they arrive and I realize:

I need a pair of scissors in order to open the packaging containing my new scissors.

That is so funny because I just ordered a pair of 8 inch scissors from Walmart.  They are coming Monday.  I’ve been using very small scissors for everything for years.  I use a steak knife to open packages.  Coincidence.

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The package delivery thing is an uber pet peeve of mine as well.  No one rings or knocks to announce deliveries anymore.  At one time, one of them did, can't remember which service, but that seems to have gone by the wayside.  We have little mini railings on either side of our front door, which while not a privacy fence, would serve to help conceal packages from the street, which is approx 50-60 ft from the house.  Does anyone actually take the time to place the boxes/pkgs begind them?  Noooo.  Let's plop the boxes smack in the center of the porch slab, sometimes right in front of the door, so as to block the door from opening from the inside.

I don't really give a <bleep> about a driver's schedule, as it would take about 2 seconds longer to show care when delivering, vs. how they do it.

php6ZMeKaAM.jpg

Well, on the one hand I agree it would take half a second to ring the doorbell as one is placing the package on the front stoop. However...I'm so glad these folks are delivering things I can't find in local stores, or just delivering things to my home in general. During the holidays I put out water bottles, candy (for energy!!), and various  packages of crackers, etc.  These delivery folks work hard... UPS, Fed Ex, Prime, the wonderful good old USP Service!

• Love 5

Who are all you wealthy trust funders ordering scissors online? I have some fantastic scissors I got from Dollar Tree. They are stainless steel, heavy-duty, and have a built-in nutcracker (or is it a top twister-offer?) that I've never used! I LOVE the dollar store, not that I've been there in a year.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Who are all you wealthy trust funders ordering scissors online? I have some fantastic scissors I got from Dollar Tree. They are stainless steel, heavy-duty, and have a built-in nutcracker (or is it a top twister-offer?) that I've never used! I LOVE the dollar store, not that I've been there in a year.

I was just thinking about the Dollar Store last night, wondering if it's safe to enter. Haven't been to one in several years but I almost always feel like a kid in there, with the low prices.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

LOL.  Probably the kind of wealthy trust funders who say "Hey! Where'd my scissors go?  I really need scissors!" and realize, I could either put on outside clothes, drive to the Dollar Tree, worry about the idiots with their masks below their noses, discover they don't have what I want in stock... or I could use this Amazon Prime I already have and for 4.99 I could get the scissors delivered to my door in a day or two.  Just speculating.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Haven't been to one in several years but I almost always feel like a kid in there, with the low prices.

This made me laugh as I fell into the trap of being the generous Gran with my grandson when we'd go into one of those dollar stores.  So easy to say yes when he asked for things and we'd come home with a bag of stuff (most of it total junk I have to admit).  Problem was he didn't understand that 3 or 4 items at a dollar store is peanuts in price - 3 or 4 items from almost any other store? Not so much!!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 2
6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

LOL.  Probably the kind of wealthy trust funders who say "Hey! Where'd my scissors go?  I really need scissors!" and realize, I could either put on outside clothes, drive to the Dollar Tree, worry about the idiots with their masks below their noses, discover they don't have what I want in stock... or I could use this Amazon Prime I already have and for 4.99 I could get the scissors delivered to my door in a day or two.  Just speculating.

Amen & hallelujah for home delivery! It has saved my sanity during the pandemic shutdown. Love these intrepid delivery folks who are out there in all kinds of nasty weather.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Amen & hallelujah for home delivery! It has saved my sanity during the pandemic shutdown. Love these intrepid delivery folks who are out there in all kinds of nasty weather.

Yes!  My TV died last spring before things started opening up again around here.  I ordered a new one online through the Best Buy website and had the option of either picking it up (waiting in the car while they bring it out) or having it delivered.  Opted for the home delivery and it showed up a few days later.  I was very happy when it arrived.  

• Love 2
23 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I agree, but I haven’t been in stores until I get the two Covid Shots.  Dollar tree and Walmart are too crowded.  So is the Dollar store 😃.  Then, you have to wait on the line which is a block long.

• Love 1

I’ve gotten so fed up with the ongoing issues of entire families going to the grocery store together and blocking aisles while they debate which brand of cereal to get that I have altered my shopping process. I hated maneuvering around families or other large groups in the store pre-pandemic. It got better for a while, but now that our state has lifted mask requirements, people are being more stupid than normal. The store still requires masks, but the large families are out in force again. And I can no longer fucking tolerate having to walk past 6-7 people to get peanut butter, or else wait 10 minutes for them to move on to their next debate over the merits of Brand A versus Brand B. 
My grocery store offers curbside pickup for $4.95. So, for less than five dollars, someone else deals with collecting the items on my list. I can allow or disallow substitutes for each item, and add a note if necessary for each item. I set up a pickup time and go to the designated pickup parking lot, text my parking spot number to them, and they put the groceries in my car. At this point, not having to deal with other people in the store is well worth five bucks. They pick out produce that I would select myself, and no problems with the orders. I am kicking myself for not having started doing this regularly months ago. 

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 10
On 3/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, GaT said:

It bugs us when they do. We don't want any of them, including Doordash, banging on the door, or ringing the bell.

I'm like this too, it scares the bejesus out of me when they knock really aggressively on the door. It sounds like someone is frantically pounding on the door to be let in.

• Love 1
On 3/20/2021 at 11:54 AM, icemiser69 said:

I think that is a vast over-generalization.  I have known people that have worked for package delivery services and they are incredibly nice.  They get paid very well for those jobs, and people line up to get those jobs.  Drivers get paid better than truck loaders.  From what I was told many years ago, truck loading is a way to get employed by the company and that can be used as a stepping stone to become a driver..  And truck loading is no easy task, because packages have to be loaded in a certain order as packages come off of a conveyor belt.  They don't just throw packages on a truck and have the driver search through a pile of packages at every stop.  They have to be loaded by delivery route, and there can be a very tight fit for packages.

As for food delivery, people often use that as a second job or as a part time job while going to college.

Thank you @icemiser69 this definitely gave me pause for thought. I have awesome FedEx and UPS drivers, as well as a fantastic USPS delivery person. Our house is set waaaaay back of the road and you have to trek through part of the lawn that may be, depending on the season, very muddy or icy. We are getting a sidewalk installed this summer but the mud and the ice nor the distance from the road does not deter our various drivers from delivering to our door. I just had $1,500 worth of new blinds delivered (after a fiasco at Home Depot I ended up ordering direct from the manufacturer), those boxes were heavy and there were 11 of them, all of them were on my doorstep. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

I'm like this too, it scares the bejesus out of me when they knock really aggressively on the door. It sounds like someone is frantically pounding on the door to be let in.

Oh, me too. We have a big brass lion's head door knocker. When they pound with that thing, I just about come out of my skin.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

News interrupting TV shows. 

I can live with this if it's genuinely breaking news - what I've noticed though is that this is rarely true anymore.  I've long since stopped mentally bracing myself when the TV screen has a "breaking news" banner come across it.  

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I can live with this if it's genuinely breaking news - what I've noticed though is that this is rarely true anymore.  I've long since stopped mentally bracing myself when the TV screen has a "breaking news" banner come across it.  

Yes, I can't remember the last time it was something I needed to know right then and have go on and on. It's usually something I've already heard or don't need to know, at least not at that very moment. I watch a ton of news. I don't like my entertainment shows interrupted by news.  

• Love 3

When is the song "Driver's License" going to go away? Why is it such a huge hit? The song is mediocre at best, & I am so sick of hearing how someone who is so young they only just got their license last week "never felt this way for no one" or how the blonde girl, who is only 21 years old, is "so much older than me". Enough already.

• LOL 2

FedEx is the worst. For the 7th time in 18 months, a delivery was reported as delivered but it sure wasn’t delivered to our house. Husband went and looked elsewhere, usual suspects, no such package.

I’m at the end of my rope with them. Our house was built in 1985, so in 2021 they should be able to find the right address.

Their canned responses - a) I checked with my  husband, b) I was home, c) the ring doorbell only showed feral cats wanting food.

At least this vendor provided excellent customer service and unlike Wayfair and Belk who basically told me, “we shipped it, you didn’t receive it, it’s your problem” I no longer purchase anything from them.

Ironically, FedEx initiated an investigation today vs their usual “you have to wait 4 days”. I’m guessing maybe their algorithm is working and they now know the problem is on their end, Sadly, what I ordered this time isn’t easily replaceable.

• Love 1

Todays peeve: misleading headlines.  There was one today  "Homicide investigating death of 2 yr old in hospital".  The reaction I had was that someone within the hospital had killed a child - in reality the badly injured child was taken to the hospital where she died.  Which is a terrible thing and I am not diminishing it but that is not what the headline suggested.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Pet Peeve .. Commercials.  At least ten commercials every eight minutes.  Are they kidding?

The other day I was watching an episode of  something or another and there was essentially two-three minutes of show and then about 4 minutes of commercial.   Not happy.  I mean it is getting to the point where I forget what the hell I was watching by the time the show comes back on!

• Love 5

I think I've mentioned it before but it's worth saying again. Been awhile

I hate it when they show credits during the beginning of the show and they keep going on FOREVER, slowly while the show is started.  In fact I track this to see who how long they can stretch it out. A few hour long dramas were still showing opening credits 20 minutes or more Into the show. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73

Do you remember that episode off How I Met Your Mother where the discovered that Lily and Marshal's floor is n'ot level.

Well my life is a TV show.  That's what I get for cleaning.  Stupid hardwood floors that collect dust underneath furniture.  Causing me to move furniture.  Causing me to realize the dressers would better if swapped.  Then swapping them.  Then having the drawer that holds the electronics roll open.  Because the floor is not level.  Or I somehow messed that drawer up in moving it.  But I'm not moving it back to find out if its the floor or the drawer.  But I have a level....

For reasons I don't remember.  Probably my dad. Who is the reason I own two ladders, one of which I will never climb, because he climbed on a roof and pulled another ladder on the roof and then climbed it.  Which I found to be insane.  So I hire people to fix things higher than ladder one....

So the level says the floor is level. The level says the furniture is not.  So that must mean my furniture is not level and the floor it used to reside on is not level in a complimentary direction that made slanted + slanted = level.  Right?  Wrong.  That floor is level too.  I briefly considered if its because I swapped it to the opposite wall.  But that isn't how math or science or whatever works. 

So I'm temporarily dealing with this situation with scotch tape.   Then I guess I'll find some of those floor protector thingymabobs to change the angle or look on youtube and see how you fix this kind of thing.

I'm going to clobber myself sleepily heading to the bathroom before I fix this.  I just know it. Oh, mighty scotch tape.  Hold.

8 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I used something similar quite a while ago. It looked like a scored candy bar, you could use a small piece, or as many squares as you needed, depending on if the item had legs, or not. I used mine for a China cabinet ( no legs).

Edited by ginger90
  • Useful 1

Unless there's something wrong with the drawer, all you need to do is level the dresser with shims.  The old-fashioned wood ones are simple and cheap.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
On 3/20/2021 at 4:26 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I will plus this reply 1000 x ! Being alone, a widow, living in the boonies in MT I realize every purchase that is delivered to my door is as much as a gift I don't have to go out to get to risk myself as a blessing someone else gives me for bringing it! I honor all the delivery people as much as I do my DD who is a Police Chief in a major CA city and DS who is a Fire Battalion Chief in another major CA city, they all risk so much to do for all of us we need to give thanks and pray for their safety each and every day.

• Love 13

First world privilege peeve: when I order a few things from Amazon the one item I really want / need gets delayed. I don't care of they ring the bell or not, my Amazon app tells me the package has been delivered. I also use Shop which tells me when other packages have been delivered. I just care that the furnace air filters I ordered have shipped and should be delivered today but are not out for delivery.  The furnace filter the HVAC company put in during the maintenance is not nearly as good as the one it replaced. 

Other peeve: commercials for delicious snack foods I didn't know existed and I now want. I bring you Colliders by Hershey. Basically pudding with add-ins and now I want them.

Edit: and just like that Amazon sent an email that my filter delivery is delayed. It's fine, it should show up tomorrow. If it was urgent I would have gone to Home Depot but I just want that filter to capture all the pollen.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

First world privilege peeve: when I order a few things from Amazon the one item I really want / need gets delayed. I don't care of they ring the bell or not, my Amazon app tells me the package has been delivered. I also use Shop which tells me when other packages have been delivered. I just care that the furnace air filters I ordered have shipped and should be delivered today but are not out for delivery.  The furnace filter the HVAC company put in during the maintenance is not nearly as good as the one it replaced. 

Other peeve: commercials for delicious snack foods I didn't know existed and I now want. I bring you Colliders by Hershey. Basically pudding with add-ins and now I want them.

Sometimes, tracking is extremely unhelpful.  I'm a regular at an online store and I've specifically asked them NOT to use a courier for my orders because I've had disappearing packages before.  Late last year, one order, worth over $100 did not arrive.  I called several times to ask - the tracker said it had gone on the truck (but it never came!) - and they were extremely unhelpful.  They finally said my case was "closed."  At least I got my money back.  

• Useful 1

Pet peeve: my husband is watching a movie downstairs.  The only thing worse than hearing a movie you don't want to hear is when someone keeps adjusting the volume so sometimes it's quiet, then it's loud, then it's quiet.  Aaarrrghhh

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

OK, I accept if not like that there are door-to-door solicitors and that, as annoying as  I consider their jobs to  be, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are earning an honest living for legit companies. 

What I will NOT accept or tolerate is when any of them decide to park in my driveway JUST so they can save a few steps from having to walk from the curb to my front door to make their pitch (and yes, the ones who have done this have been perfectly able-bodied) . Seriously, unless you've been given express permission,  have mobility challenges and/or it's an emergency, DO NOT PARK IN AND BLOCK  another person's driveway who may have need for it at any moment (e.g. needing to go to work or to transport a family member to seek medical attention,etc.) .

Thanks.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Pet peeve: my husband is watching a movie downstairs.  The only thing worse than hearing a movie you don't want to hear is when someone keeps adjusting the volume so sometimes it's quiet, then it's loud, then it's quiet.  Aaarrrghhh

I can't handle the shrieking whistles during football & basketball games. And I can hear them even though Mr P914 is watching on his new mega TV in the basement. That sound cuts through me!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, I accept if not like that there are door-to-door solicitors and that, as annoying as  I consider their jobs to  be, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are earning an honest living for legit companies. 

What I will NOT accept or tolerate is when any of them decide to park in my driveway JUST so they can save a few steps from having to walk from the curb to my front door to make their pitch (and yes, the ones who have done this have been perfectly able-bodied) . Seriously, unless you've been given express permission,  have mobility challenges and/or it's an emergency, DO NOT PARK IN AND BLOCK  another person's driveway who may have need for it at any moment (e.g. needing to go to work or to transport a family member to seek medical attention,etc.) .

Thanks.

If that happened to me, the minute the person knocked on my door, I would tell them that the fact they parked in my driveway and blocked me from being able to leave immediately if needed, means I will not buy whatever they are selling, no matter what it is or how good of a deal it might be, and there’s a good chance I will boycott the brand entirely. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Thanks.

I don’t like the ones who are unable to read the sign on the door, which says no soliciting (it had gotten really put off hand).

However, the ones who bang loudly on the door instead of ringing the doorbell, just no, no no. Then not ring the doorbell and stand to the side since we have a ring doorbell. I just opened up the door and let him have it - he wasn’t wearing a mask either.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

What I will NOT accept or tolerate is when any of them decide to park in my driveway JUST so they can save a few steps from having to walk from the curb to my front door to make their pitch (and yes, the ones who have done this have been perfectly able-bodied) . Seriously, unless you've been given express permission,  have mobility challenges and/or it's an emergency, DO NOT PARK IN AND BLOCK  another person's driveway who may have need for it at any moment (e.g. needing to go to work or to transport a family member to seek medical attention,etc.)

Or even worse, you've been out and drive up home and find some moron has parked in your driveway.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I am so sick of hearing every show/movie my husband watches downstairs. How anybody can watch something that loud astounds me.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

Or even worse, you've been out and drive up home and find some moron has parked in your driveway.

We had recently moved into our house and one day someone visited our neighbour and parked on the street but completely blocking our driveway.  It was incredibly rude IMO!  My husband happened to be at an open window and called out and asked the woman who had parked there to move, she waved her hand in this very "Karen" way and said "I'll just be a minute". Well the minute was actually about 20 minutes.  We let it go but stewed about it after as you can all imagine.  Turns out the neighbours are actually lovely people so I'm glad we didn't make an issue of it but I hope that woman never drops by for "a minute" again!

8 hours ago, GaT said:

I am so sick of hearing every show/movie my husband watches downstairs. How anybody can watch something that loud astounds me.

Same.  I know I am a little sensitive to noise so I try not to be too pushy about asking for the volume to be lowered but sometimes I have to say something!  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I deal with this every day all day as I'm working from home and husband is retired.  He watches shit I loathe and the sounds annoy me so much.  I often keep my airpods in my ears long after a call ends just to have peace.  I brought home my sound machine but cannot find the cord to plug the damn thing in.  (Maybe need to put him on task to look for it, hmmm)

10 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm hearing impaired.  I usually cannot make out dialog due to the background sounds and unfortunately for me, I'm hyper-sensitive to certain sounds as well but my guess is he needs to having his hearing checked, if he's willing.   I have to use closed captioning, which on the flip side, drives my husband up the wall.  He hates it and turns it off when I'm not around but has finally stopped complaining about it when I turn them on.  

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

We had recently moved into our house and one day someone visited our neighbour and parked on the street but completely blocking our driveway.  It was incredibly rude IMO! 

My husband rages that people use our driveway to turn around, since we have a somewhat long driveway at the end of a dead end street.  There are two other driveways past ours but they're obscured by trees.  This will then pack the snow down at the end so that he cannot blow or shovel it out and leaves icy ridges from their tires.  

His other pet peeve is that the neighbor kids park directly in front of their house but directly across from our driveway... there is plenty of space to park in front of their house on either side but nope.  Makes it hard to get in & out of our drive.  But he won't say anything and doesn't want me to either so we don't make waves (we're the newest residents.)  The 'boys' are all in their 20's and all have pickup trucks (three diesel) and one of the boys lets his engine run for 20- 45 minutes at a time.. as early as 5 am and as late as 1 to 2 am in the morning.  We keep hoping they finally "grow up" and move out of daddy's home.  

Edited by Callietwo
  • Love 1