Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Always the last one to the party!  I don't think I've ever seen this.  I am now peeved in anticipation of seeing it!

I've never seen it either.  Maybe it's just when it's so much more and it's times.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Always the last one to the party!  I don't think I've ever seen this.  I am now peeved in anticipation of seeing it!

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I've never seen it either.  Maybe it's just when it's so much more and it's times.

A few examples....

Chloe X Halle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloe_x_Halle

KKW Fragrance x Kylie Jenner https://beautymone.com/kkw-fragrance-x-kylie-jenner-pink-lips-review/

Ken x Berluti and Berluti x Brian Rochefort https://vman.com/article/berluti-celebrates-kens-60th-anniversary-with-mattel-and-make-a-wish-foundation/

On 3/12/2021 at 2:40 PM, peacheslatour said:

Right. I mean toilet paper is non essential when you can just use rags and wash them out.

That reminds me of that episode on Extreme Cheapskates lol

• LOL 1
On 3/4/2021 at 6:34 PM, icemiser69 said:

The pictures of the flowers on packages tend to be a bit distorted, which is really a huge peeve.

I have bought bulbs/plants in the store that have them picture on the package as blue more often than not flower as a purplish color.

Last year, I thought I was buying a blue hibiscus, it came up red.

That happened to my in laws who bought a bunch of Crepe Myrtles and they wanted the darker more brighter pink, instead they came up  purple, white and light pink which they didn't want...

31 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Todays pet peeve: It is receive not recieve.  Today for some reason I am noticing this misspelling everywhere - including a book I am reading on my kindle.  

I before E. Except after C.

• Love 6

Muscle/leg cramps.  I get them in my feet sometimes.. but i have a AAAAA solution:  pickle juice.  I always save the juice from my pickles.. if i get a cramp during the night.. i take a swig of juice and in 5 minutes the cramp is gone.  Maybe it's just me, but it works.

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, Boston said:

Muscle/leg cramps.  I get them in my feet sometimes.. but i have a AAAAA solution:  pickle juice.  I always save the juice from my pickles.. if i get a cramp during the night.. i take a swig of juice and in 5 minutes the cramp is gone.  Maybe it's just me, but it works.

Sounds like your magnesium deficient.  Magnesium spray or creams can do the same.  Consuming clean salt (on food or mixed in purified water) is also a good way to get nutrients.  I prefer this brand personally.

Helps with headaches too if your electrolytes have been washed out.

4 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Todays pet peeve: It is receive not recieve.  Today for some reason I am noticing this misspelling everywhere - including a book I am reading on my kindle.  

Ditto!  That and the there, their and they're spelling lesson!   

• Love 2

I've recently begun to notice discarded masks on pavements outside medical bldgs, on parking lots at supermarkets,  shopping centers, libraries, etc. These are the pleated ones, mostly. Is there some type of "protest" going on via mask littering?  I'm seeing it more & more the past few weeks, so it has become obvious that something's going on.

7 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I before E. Except after C.

Yes.  To me, this is one of the easiest if not the easiest grammar rule to remember.  I wonder if it's still taught.  Actually, I wonder if grammar, spelling, and sentence structure is still taught. 🤔

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yes.  To me, this is one of the easiest if not the easiest grammar rule to remember.  I wonder if it's still taught.  Actually, I wonder if grammar, spelling, and sentence structure is still taught. 🤔

Yeah, but then a weird glacier comes along and messes the whole thing up.

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Boston said:

what is AAAAA?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've recently begun to notice discarded masks on pavements outside medical bldgs, on parking lots at supermarkets,  shopping centers, libraries, etc. These are the pleated ones, mostly. Is there some type of "protest" going on via mask littering?  I'm seeing it more & more the past few weeks, so it has become obvious that something's going on.

I'm in Ottawa so I had assumed I was seeing more discarded masks because the snow is starting to melt and we're reaching that charming time of year when the winter litter starts showing up.  I don't know what possesses people to throw anything down on the ground but especially masks.  I never thought of it being a form of protest but I'm sure that's probably true in some cases, mostly I think it's just people can be lazy and thoughtless.  Not much better really.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I'm in Ottawa so I had assumed I was seeing more discarded masks because the snow is starting to melt and we're reaching that charming time of year when the winter litter starts showing up.  I don't know what possesses people to throw anything down on the ground but especially masks.  I never thought of it being a form of protest but I'm sure that's probably true in some cases, mostly I think it's just people can be lazy and thoughtless.  Not much better really.

We've hardly had any snow so this happening more and more is new around here. Strange.

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yeah, but then a weird glacier comes along and messes the whole thing up.

26 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

That took me an embarrassing long time to get!

There was a “Pearls Before Swine” comic recently that played on all the except-after-c exceptions. Maybe someone with better search skills will be able to post a link. 

ETA: figured it out:

image.thumb.png.9cf88d59aae6007c57ec21037350f056.png

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 6
On 3/16/2021 at 2:44 AM, annzeepark914 said:

Yes, people are slobs. They pick up a mask at the entrance of whatever establishment requires them and then on their way out they rip them off their faces and throw them on the ground. (Happens at my church every Sunday.) I don't think it is a protest, just sheer laziness and self-absorption.

• Love 5

I have one of the 10,000 plastic grocery bags I now have since I don't use my reusable bags any more in my car. When I come out of a store/hospital/whatever, I take the mask off when I get in the car and deposit it in the bag. The washable ones go into a vegetable plastic bag and into the house to be washed. It is not a hard thing to do. I don't get why people have to be such lazy slobs.

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

since I don't use my reusable bags any more in my car.

Out of curiosity, is this by choice or by rule?  Here, at the beginning of the pandemic, bringing in our own bags was prohibited for a short time, then for a longer time it was allowed but we had to bag our own groceries, and for a while now it has been back to usual (given what scientists had learned about person to surface to person transmission with respect to this virus).  Obviously I can't travel, and this isn't something covered in most regional pandemic news, so I don't know if we're the norm or the anomaly on this point.

Anyway, I share the annoyance at seeing masks discarded on the ground, but here it's been far less prevalent now than it was at the beginning.  I still mutter curses every time I come across it, though; littering makes me angry.  Like people tossing cigarette butts on the ground, especially out a car window - there's a damn ashtray right there in the car!  I just can't with people who don't consider cumulative effect - okay, your lone self tossing one piece of trash on the ground because of reasons is no big deal, but what if even just a relatively small percentage of the local population shares the same dismissive attitude and does so?  It doesn't take long to add up.

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Out of curiosity, is this by choice or by rule?  Here, at the beginning of the pandemic, bringing in our own bags was prohibited for a short time, then for a longer time it was allowed but we had to bag our own groceries, and for a while now it has been back to usual (given what scientists had learned about person to surface to person transmission with respect to this virus).  Obviously I can't travel, and this isn't something covered in most regional pandemic news, so I don't know if we're the norm or the anomaly on this point.

Well in the beginning it was by rule, we don't have the option to load our own bags so I don't feel comfortable with other people handling my reusable  bags (I don't think they are washable). I hate having all the plastic bags.

1063785238_plasticbags.jpeg.1a7d3aa651d153f7ed34a8d592642ec1.jpeg

I am finding uses for them but I hate that i have to...

• Love 1

It seems there is no ideal solution to the bagging of merchandise.  The plastic bag thing is a huge problem, and I really do wish they would disappear from our landscape (literally & figuratively).  Reusable bags are great on paper, but let's face it, a percentage of the population won't launder them adequately, thereby causing potential health problems (yes, to themselves, but still...), and those non-woven reusable bags that most retailers offer/sell to their customers are plastic-based, and still present a problem for the environment/landfills.  Now we'll "circle back" to the paper bag thing;  how many trees can we grow to sustain them?  Have we tried paper from bamboo?  I really prefer paper bags for lots of reasons, but not at the expense of the mass clearing of trees which take decades to mature.

I do what I can to keep from using the plastic stuff, but I feel horrible every time I toss the bags in the trash.  It's a shame that we haven't figured out a way to recycle them efficiently, because it appears that they aren't going away anytime soon. 

• Love 1

I use plastic grocery bags for my smaller trash cans and to dispose of what kitties deposit into their litter boxes. While watching TV sometimes I'll have a small pile of bags and some tape to repair any holes in said bags so nothing can leak out when they end up getting used. I hate how thin they are now.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

me as well. I double up when I use to clean up litter boxes because some of those bags have tiny holes in it.

Yeah, and larger than tiny.  I billow them out and hold them up to the light in the ceiling, lol.  Still miss some.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I use plastic grocery bags for my smaller trash cans and to dispose of what kitties deposit into their litter boxes. While watching TV sometimes I'll have a small pile of bags and some tape to repair any holes in said bags so nothing can leak out when they end up getting used. I hate how think they are now.

Same here. 

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

In my area, I can recycle plastic bags at Target and Wegmans. Although I’m not sure that they are truly recycled, as there are so many issues with recycling.

The grocery store where I worked did in fact send the plastic bags back to one of their vendors and got credit for them. You can also put zip-locking bags, plastic bubble wrap mailers, sealed-air packaging (deflate it first) and plastic film that some food and drink cases are wrapped in into the plastic bag recycling at grocery stores.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

If you have lots of extra plastic grocery bags you don't need, please consider donating them to your local food pantry. We happily take them and use them to bag fresh fruits and vegetables for our neighbors in need!

Only associated pet peeve: When people give us those teeny plastic bags that hold like three carrots....and are too thin so once that fourth carrot or potato goes in, the bottom of the bag gives out.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Jaded said:

I use plastic grocery bags for my smaller trash cans and to dispose of what kitties deposit into their litter boxes.

I sort my bags into kitty litter container, trash can liner, and back to the store to recycle, depending on the size of holes or lack thereof.  And as I was gathering up the trash today, I realized the supply was getting low.  I suppose there's a bag full of bags somewhere in the house that we've forgotten about, but I can't find it.  (That's my peeve.  See, I'm not off topic.)

• LOL 2

Plastic store bags were banned here a year ago.   I had lots, but I've used up my stash in my kitchen garbage can. When they were plentiful, I would use one anytime I had a small item to throw away, especially if it was messy.  Now that I have to buy them, I save assorted small plastic bags like produce bags or bags from my Amazon boxes for my random discards.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

In my area, I can recycle plastic bags at Target and Wegmans. Although I’m not sure that they are truly recycled, as there are so many issues with recycling.

Our local grocer used to have a plastic bag collection program, but it was suspended due to CV19.  Haven't seen signs of its return as yet.  If municipal recyclers don't want them because, as I've read they gum up the equipment, I can't figure what the grocers or their vendors are doing differently.  These folks ought to all be able to get on the same page hadn't they?

4 hours ago, isalicat said:

If you have lots of extra plastic grocery bags you don't need, please consider donating them to your local food pantry. We happily take them and use them to bag fresh fruits and vegetables for our neighbors in need!

Only associated pet peeve: When people give us those teeny plastic bags that hold like three carrots....and are too thin so once that fourth carrot or potato goes in, the bottom of the bag gives out.

Thanks for that suggestion, I wouldn't have thought of it.  For now, I'm hoarding them for my upcoming, epic garage sale.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Our local grocer used to have a plastic bag collection program, but it was suspended due to CV19.  Haven't seen signs of its return as yet.  If municipal recyclers don't want them because, as I've read they gum up the equipment, I can't figure what the grocers or their vendors are doing differently.  These folks ought to all be able to get on the same page hadn't they?

I had the impression that there is specific kind of recycling that makes plastic bags into "lumber" for decks, park benches, etc.  I'm guessing it's only feasible when you have the bags to process, already separated out, and it's not worth it if you have to filter them out of the general municipal recycling.  But where I live, it's pretty typical for every grocery store to have a bin for bag recycling, so I hope they're actually getting recycled!

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I had the impression that there is specific kind of recycling that makes plastic bags into "lumber" for decks, park benches, etc.  I'm guessing it's only feasible when you have the bags to process, already separated out, and it's not worth it if you have to filter them out of the general municipal recycling.  But where I live, it's pretty typical for every grocery store to have a bin for bag recycling, so I hope they're actually getting recycled!

Me too!  I have heard/read that these bags "gum up" the recycling equipment to the point that the recyclers no longer want them.  I haven't independently researched the subject, so this could be bad/old information.

My deck is made with that "lumber" -- it uses recycled plastic and wood bits/sawdust that aren't otherwise used.  Plus you never have to seal it, and it never splinters.  It does grow lichen (peeve!), and it appears that squirrels have gnawed on it in spots (another peeve!), but otherwise, it's great.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

New peeve -- basketball (and other sporting events) that go into overtime and screw up the TV schedule.  I just want to watch the local news and weather, dammit!  I really don't care that Oral Roberts University beat Ohio State.

• Love 7

I know delivery drivers are held to ridiculous timetables.  And this is a relatively low-crime area and I'm home pretty much all day every day, so there's no real consequence to this, but it bugs me when they don't knock or ring to alert me to the fact a package has been delivered.  Most do, especially with UPS and USPS.  But FedEx is spotty, and today the driver not only didn't, but also left the package on my front steps.  Come on.

Most drivers put packages behind the stone column on my front porch, so as to not be visible from the street (or at least less visible if they're wider than the column), and I prefer that to in front of my door, but I've never had one not even get it to the porch.  And it wasn't sitting on one step, it was laying diagonally across two of them.  Just leaning forward would have been enough to put it on the porch where it would be less obvious.

I happened to walk through the living room as the truck was pulling away, so I wound up knowing it was there right away (and the "your package was delivered" email was about half an hour later, so either way it wouldn't have sat out there long).  So, like I said, there's no actual problem caused by this, but it was a really weird placement.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I know delivery drivers are held to ridiculous timetables.  And this is a relatively low-crime area and I'm home pretty much all day every day, so there's no real consequence to this, but it bugs me when they don't knock or ring to alert me to the fact a package has been delivered.  Most do, especially with UPS and USPS.  But FedEx is spotty, and today the driver not only didn't, but also left the package on my front steps.  Come on.

Most drivers put packages behind the stone column on my front porch, so as to not be visible from the street (or at least less visible if they're wider than the column), and I prefer that to in front of my door, but I've never had one not even get it to the porch.  And it wasn't sitting on one step, it was laying diagonally across two of them.  Just leaning forward would have been enough to put it on the porch where it would be less obvious.

I happened to walk through the living room as the truck was pulling away, so I wound up knowing it was there right away (and the "your package was delivered" email was about half an hour later, so either way it wouldn't have sat out there long).  So, like I said, there's no actual problem caused by this, but it was a really weird placement.

I had a problem with FedEx last week. Instead of putting the package on the porch he put it up against the house in the snow. I was home thankfully and called to complain. Customer service apologized but really didn't care. IMO FedEx is the worst one of the bunch.

Edited by rcc
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, rcc said:

I had a problem with FedEx last week. Instead of putting the package on the porch he put it up against the house in the snow. I was home thankfully and called to complain. Customer service apologized but really didn't care. IMO FedEx is the worst one of the bunch.

I ordered a new wing chair for the living room and I can't even complain about the delivery service because they left it on the sidewalk in front of our house in the middle of the night. 😡 In the rain. 🤬

• Useful 1
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know delivery drivers are held to ridiculous timetables.  And this is a relatively low-crime area and I'm home pretty much all day every day, so there's no real consequence to this, but it bugs me when they don't knock or ring to alert me to the fact a package has been delivered. 

It bugs us when they do. We don't want any of them, including Doordash, banging on the door, or ringing the bell.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, GaT said:

It bugs us when they do. We don't want any of them, including Doordash banging on the door, or ringing the bell.

It only bugs me when my DH is home. He insists on opening the door and waving at them and saying thanks. Not that it's not the polite thing to do but a lot of these people are delivery drivers precisely because they have issues dealing with people. I have a cousin like that.

• Useful 1

I like the way UPS does it - knock or ring, call out "UPS", and walk back to the truck.

When I had a case of Bloody Mary mix delivered, the UPS driver walked to the end of the porch instead (which is more than six feet from the door) and waited.  When I opened the door, he asked if I needed any help with the box because it's heavy.  I didn't, but that was nice.

I don't know if it's the same driver who - back when I could leave the house - used to put packages at my back door if I wasn't home.  That went above and beyond, and was much appreciated. 

I can't remember if it's UPS or FedEx, but there's a driver in my parents' neighborhood who puts packages on top of their trash bins if they're not home - that puts the package behind a locked gate (unless it's something heavy or fragile, the driver can reach to drop the package over the gate, but someone would have to have a ladder to reach over and get it). 

Again, given their schedules, I don't expect anything like that.  But it's nice when it happens.

9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

He insists on opening the door and waving at them and saying thanks.

I don't wave, but if the truck is still there when I open the door to get the package, I call out "Thank you" (and get back a "You're welcome" - just the right amount of human interaction for me 🙂 ).  

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, GaT said:

It bugs us when they do. We don't want any of them, including Doordash banging on the door, or ringing the bell.

Oh interesting. It bugs me when they don’t. I’m working from home in a room with a clear view of the front of my house, but I swear those delivery people are ninjas. Hey, the desktop I ordered is sitting on my porch!  (In a box that clearly identifies what it is, I might add.) How long has that been there?

There’s one service that usually rings (UPS, maybe?) but the rest never do. I never understood why they don’t. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 2