Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

In general "cancel culture" is an issue, and one that will only get worse.  The reason why some don't see it as an issue, is because they have no problem with what is being "cancelled".  At some point they will have a problem with something being "cancelled".  It is only a matter of time.  Like a snowball rolling down a hill, it will only get bigger and bigger affecting more and more people.

Hypersensitivity is a huge issue and it isn't going away, and will only get worse.  There is a link between the two.

Pet Peeve. 

Searching for something online for information purposes only, having a vague description of it, and spending hours upon hours over several weeks and being unable to find it, using that description and different variants of that description.  Very frustrating. 

There's nothing new about "cancel culture." Certain people have just latched on to the term recently and decided that it is new. People have always "canceled" what they don't like. The problem as I see is it the rampant lies that we "can't" have, see, do, read, etc, whatever thing is in question. Because so many cases, that's not even true at all (ie, "merry Christmas"). And you know what I'd love to know from the people who whine, "Soon we won't be able to say anythiiiiiing!" What is it exactly that you want to say that you (pretend to believe that you) can't? Tell me without sounding like a jerk.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Here's a new peeve: I hate the frosted pink lipstick that female anchors wear. I actually don't know why this look (along with the blonde highlights) is such a dominant look amongst female anchors. I know that makes me sound petty but IMO frosted pink lipstick is a look that flatters no one.

your right, It doesn't flatter anyone. Frosted Pink Lipstick screams 1980s like frosted blue eye shadow

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

your right, It doesn't flatter anyone. Frosted Pink Lipstick screams 1980s like frosted blue eye shadow

My pet peeve with newscasters is the way most of the women wear sleeveless dresses.  Ok guys, this is Canada and it's winter - put on a sweater!

• Love 13

Oh, it's '80s alright! My friend and I loved something called Horizon Pink (Revlon, I think?). It wasn't as bad as most of our peers' choices, but when we saw what they looked like, we quit! Haha, that's when I started morphing into the dark lipstick and clothes kind of girl anyway, so it was all for the best.

• Love 1

Regarding cancel culture, I find it a pet peeve that certain people get away with so much more. Guess it's matter of luck?

Chris Harrison's entertainment career spans decades without any scandals. As far as I know he's never harassed anyone or made disparaging comments about any group of people. He's known to be a gentleman. He has one bad interview (ungracefully trying to defend a young contestant), and a lot of people want him gone asap. I was annoyed but thought an apology would suffice. 

Blake Shelton has said lots of disgusting things about minorities (racist, xenophobic, homophobic), and he's still the good ole boy on The Voice. Hell, he's even made comments about women I found creepy. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

There's nothing new about "cancel culture." Certain people have just latched on to the term recently and decided that it is new. People have always "canceled" what they don't like. The problem as I see is it the rampant lies that we "can't" have, see, do, read, etc, whatever thing is in question. Because so many cases, that's not even true at all (ie, merry Christmas). And you know what I'd love to know from the people who whine, "Soon we won't be able to say anythiiiiiing!" What is it exactly that you want to say that you (pretend to believe that you) can't? Tell me without sounding like a jerk.

This. I also like how some people are like, "Nobody cared about this stuff back then, why is everyone so offended now?" No, there were people who complained about offensive stuff "back in the day", too. They were either just ignored/dismissed, or there weren't as many outlets to make their voices heard as there are now. Just because you (general "you") never heard people complain doesn't mean that the complaints weren't there. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

This. I also like how some people are like, "Nobody cared about this stuff back then, why is everyone so offended now?" No, there were people who complained about offensive stuff "back in the day", too. They were either just ignored/dismissed, or there weren't as many outlets to make their voices heard as there are now. Just because you (general "you") never heard people complain doesn't mean that the complaints weren't there. 

I get what you mean. I remember some people complaining about Blake Shelton, I just don't personally remember an uproar or anything. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

There is no such thing as cancel culture.  It's the simple fact that actions have consequences.

Opinions have consequences.  Or even stating facts have consequences if they aren't the popularly decided upon facts.

• Love 6
(edited)

Latest pet peeve: Where is the Mink Difference hairspray? It's the only hairspray I can use that doesn't make my hair stiff. Last time I went to order it from Amazon, they wanted $49.99 for ONE can.I was like "no way" so I didn't order it 'cause I still had a little. I started to run really low so I went back to Amazon - $100.00 for one can. So I looked at Walgreens, Bartells and CVS. They had none. Now, Amazon doesn't have it at all. WTF?

Edited by peacheslatour
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

There's nothing new about "cancel culture." Certain people have just latched on to the term recently and decided that it is new. People have always "canceled" what they don't like. The problem as I see is it the rampant lies that we "can't" have, see, do, read, etc, whatever thing is in question. Because so many cases, that's not even true at all (ie, "merry Christmas"). And you know what I'd love to know from the people who whine, "Soon we won't be able to say anythiiiiiing!" What is it exactly that you want to say that you (pretend to believe that you) can't? Tell me without sounding like a jerk.

If you think that people don't hold their tongue on a whole variety of topics because they'll be labeled as "certain" people or "whiners" or a "jerk" or whatever derogatory term that can be hurled at them then you are kidding yourself.  A lot of people are aggressively hostile much more so than they used to be.

And a lot of people keep their mouth shut to avoid a confrontation with people who show no sign of wanting to have a reasonable conversation.  Me included.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

All good points, about which I haven't said otherwise. And me included too, on that last part. Took a while to get that into my head and it's still a battle sometimes.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Latest pet peeve: Where is the Mink Difference hairspray? It's the only hairspray I can use that doesn't make my hair stiff. Last time I went to order it from Amazon, they wanted $49.99 for ONE can.I was like "no way" so I didn't order it 'cause I still had a little. I started to run really low so I went back to Amazon - $100.00 for one can. So I looked at Walgreens, Bartells and CVS. They had none. Now, Amazon doesn't have it at all. WTF?

Its either discontinued or if its not discontinued then its a victim of the shit show that is the global supply chain.

Things, they are bad out there. 

21 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

If you think that people don't hold their tongue on a whole variety of topics because they'll be labeled as "certain" people or "whiners" or a "jerk" or whatever derogatory term that can be hurled at them then you are kidding yourself.  A lot of people are aggressively hostile much more so than they used to be.

And a lot of people keep their mouth shut to avoid a confrontation with people who show no sign of wanting to have a reasonable conversation.  Me included.

22 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

All good points, about which I haven't said otherwise.

I agree with you both too. People who are extreme with their views, start talking over others before they're done speaking, are looking to be offended, there's just no point in talking sometimes. 

Which takes me to my next pet peeve. Why do some people passionately care if other people have different views? I totally care if it's a partner, but I don't care if my coworker, casual friend, random people have different ideology, so long as they treat people kindly. Whether or not someone goes to church, where they get their news from, how they vote, those things shouldn't matter to you so much unless you're in a relationship, or maybe family members/friends you live with. (Living with someone with different ideology can be really difficult.) I have vastly different views from some friends of mine, but I'm not going to lecture them if they're good people. There are probably enough folks who see the world similarly to you out there anyway. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Why do some people passionately care if other people have different views? I totally care if it's a partner, but I don't care if my coworker, casual friend, random people have different ideology, so long as they treat people kindly.

that's an excellent question.    I have my theories, but they're probably all wrong.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Fair enough.

I will leave it at that, I don't want to tread anywhere near a subject that isn't allowed in the forums.  Which luckily enough is a subject that I hate.

Peeve:

Last year I bought a hibiscus locally and it was mislabeled.  In other words the color I thought I bought isn't what grew.   This year the local garden center won't be offering the hibiscus that I want.  I only by locally so I am out of luck.

I finally found what I was searching for online, only because of a lot of guess work.   It was a 1980s board game that wasn't around very long.  Probably the main reason it took me so long to find it.

I'm bummed about my hyacinths for the same reason. I ordered blue ones because I was doing a "thing" with my container plants. They're coming up now and I can tell they're going to be pink. 😞

• Love 1

We can agree to disagree -- trite, but works for me, man. That said...

I finally found what I was searching for online, only because of a lot of guess work.   It was a 1980s board game that wasn't around very long.  Probably the main reason it took me so long to find it.

The feeling of this is so satisfactory!

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Which takes me to my next pet peeve. Why do some people passionately care if other people have different views? I totally care if it's a partner, but I don't care if my coworker, casual friend, random people have different ideology, so long as they treat people kindly. Whether or not someone goes to church, where they get their news from, how they vote, those things shouldn't matter to you so much unless you're in a relationship, or maybe family members/friends you live with. (Living with someone with different ideology can be really difficult.) I have vastly different views from some friends of mine, but I'm not going to lecture them if they're good people. There are probably enough folks who see the world similarly to you out there anyway. 

So I agree with you in a lot of ways.  I really only care if someone is a good person and are not weaponizing their ideology against others.

But I'm a little on the side of if it being a bad sign if it matters if people you live with or have a relationship with have a different ideology.  To me that means that the ideology of at least one person in that relationship might be going down the path of being too extreme that its verging on unkind.

But this is a ingrained from childhood thing.  My maternal side of my family did the weaponizing ideology thing and it was not good.  As a kid (and adult because they can't get over it..and its a shit ton of fun navigating this crap when the people involved are dead or dying let me tell you) I used to watch them and try to puzzle out WTF was wrong with them.  They were being really unkind to each other over crap that wasn't worth it.  Both sides had pros and con, good points and bad.  And none of the stuff that they were willing to throw their relationships away for made one bit of sense to me.  I always wondered if they were fighting about some unspoken thing that was different than what they claimed to be fighting about.  And as I got older and the kids were let in on more of the dynamics of what was going on, it kind of became clear that they were fighting more about the tactics used in the fighting than about ideology. I really don't think they even recognize that to this day.

And that is how the whole world feels now.  Fighting about the tactics being used to win the argument and no one admitting to the tactics being used.

I miss being able to debate stuff civilly.  Being kind of in the middle and kind of contrarian I always have that impulse to argue the opposite of everything,

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Who is this "their"?

I know who "their" is because I know which contrarian impulse to talk or debate I've learned to stifle.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Want to know another peeve of mine.

Me.  Every time someone posts something about how they can't find something I launch into.  I'll do it.  Let me waste my time searching for this thing that I didn't even know about before and be frustrated that I can't find it either.

I refrained from emailing or calling their customer service.  Even though I found their contact info by sleuthing on Ebay.  Also the distributor on the bottle doesn't have it on their website.  So thats a bad sign.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

The pictures of the flowers on packages tend to be a bit distorted, which is really a huge peeve.

I have bought bulbs/plants in the store that have them picture on the package as blue more often than not flower as a purplish color.

Last year, I thought I was buying a blue hibiscus, it came up red.

I bought these from a trusted source. I understand, mistakes happen. In the immortal words of Tim Gunn, I'll make it work.

Pet peeve.  I'm hard of hearing and I also don't process when people are speaking to me unless they have my specific attention.  

My husband and I have been together since 2003.  He knows this.  But he'll still talk to me without having my attention and then when I ask what, he'll holler it at me as if it's a hearing issue rather than a processing issue even when we're sitting a few feet apart.   Say my name.  Get my attention before telling me something you want me to hear.  Ugh.  

He's not the only person that does this to me but given the length of time we've been together, you'd think he'd get it. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

In general, when I see super inflated prices like ^that, it's a good indication that the item has been discontinued, or is/will be out of stock for an extended period of time.

You can try ebay, as sometimes those folks either aren't bathed in the greedy water, or the word hasn't gotten out to them yet, lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

In general, when I see super inflated prices like ^that, it's a good indication that the item has been discontinued, or is/will be out of stock for an extended period of time.

You can try ebay, as sometimes those folks either aren't bathed in the greedy water, or the word hasn't gotten out to them yet, lol.

Lol, they figured it out alright. Cheapest can is $49.99 up to $150.00. Oh well, hopefully it's a temporary shortage. Thanks though.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol, they figured it out alright. Cheapest can is $49.99 up to $150.00. Oh well, hopefully it's a temporary shortage. Thanks though.

The thing that gets me about those prices is that I refuse to believe that anyone would actually give up that kind of money.  If I were running the listing, I would want it priced to where someone would actually you know, buy it.

I am not a gullible person in general, but I just can't believe that someone would spend $50 bucks for a $5 can of hairspray, let alone $150.00

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The thing that gets me about those prices is that I refuse to believe that anyone would actually give up that kind of money.  If I were running the listing, I would want it priced to where someone would actually you know, buy it.

I am not a gullible person in general, but I just can't believe that someone would spend $50 bucks for a $5 can of hairspray, let alone $150.00

I'm sure as hell not gonna!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I feel this way about book prices all the time.  I was looking up a title recently on amazon.ca and someone is asking upwards of $6,000 for a paperback copy of a book by an author I like - we are not talking about a signed first edition of Romeo and Juliet here.  Do people genuinely expect to get these ridiculous prices?  Is anyone going to pay that?  Especially for a book they can get on kindle??

• Love 2

Welluh, on the same subject - the tea I drink every morning and afternoon is Lipton First Flush Long Leaf Darjeeling from India (no relation to Lipton tea here in the U.S.) - I normally would get a big box (500 grams) of loose tea and it lasts a month or so. As I recall I was paying about $20. per box  until six months ago when all of the sudden the cheapest I could find is $37.99 per box.  I did a little research and there was some sort of labor action and from what I can tell there was literally no harvest at all in Darjeeling last year, so now I'm either paying almost twice as much or switching to something else entirely. I tried a couple of other black loose leaf teas and they are way too strong (even using much less) and the wrong flavor.

So I guess my pet peeve is my own finicky nature that I want what I want and am prepared to break my budget rather than show some flexibility until another year goes by and hopefully the tea harvest resumes normally there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I feel this way about book prices all the time.  I was looking up a title recently on amazon.ca and someone is asking upwards of $6,000 for a paperback copy of a book by an author I like - we are not talking about a signed first edition of Romeo and Juliet here.  Do people genuinely expect to get these ridiculous prices?  Is anyone going to pay that?  Especially for a book they can get on kindle??

Yeah, Amazon is a bit of an enigma, albeit an obscenely profitable one.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Callietwo said:

Pet peeve.  I'm hard of hearing and I also don't process when people are speaking to me unless they have my specific attention.  

My husband and I have been together since 2003.  He knows this.  But he'll still talk to me without having my attention and then when I ask what, he'll holler it at me as if it's a hearing issue rather than a processing issue even when we're sitting a few feet apart.   Say my name.  Get my attention before telling me something you want me to hear.  Ugh.  

He's not the only person that does this to me but given the length of time we've been together, you'd think he'd get it. 

My dad did this to my mom, who had significant hearing loss,  all the time.  My siblings all taught their children to touch Grandma to get her attention so she can look at them as they speak to her.  Why couldn't Grandpa learn how to do that?  In my mother's last decade, I spent a lot of time taking her to doctor's appointments and made a couple trips to the emergency room with her.  I would always tell medical people about her hearing issues first thing, and I was amazed at how poorly some of them handled it since it's not exactly an uncommon circumstance for an elderly person to have hearing loss.  I cannot tell you how many times a doctor or nurse would leave the room and Mom would turn to me and ask what she/he said.  

• Love 2

If you want to REAL cancel culture, Google the Chinese Cultural Revolution.  That was cancel culture to the core. Probably more extreme than book burning.  

Peeve:  online store I shop at has been out of a brand of liquid soap refills (in the scents I like) for MONTHS!  No sign of when they’re restocking

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Peeve:  online store I shop at has been out of a brand of liquid soap refills (in the scents I like) for MONTHS!  No sign of when they’re restocking

Try Amazon. I use Basis soap in the shower & couldn't find it in the supermarkets any more. I looked it up at Amazon and there it was--yay! Had to buy several but the price was ok. 

• Love 2
(edited)

And if you are not a regular Amazon shopper, and would prefer not to hand your credit card info over to them, you can buy an Amazon gift card at the grocery store and use that.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Calvada said:

My dad did this to my mom, who had significant hearing loss,  all the time.  My siblings all taught their children to touch Grandma to get her attention so she can look at them as they speak to her.  Why couldn't Grandpa learn how to do that?  In my mother's last decade, I spent a lot of time taking her to doctor's appointments and made a couple trips to the emergency room with her.  I would always tell medical people about her hearing issues first thing, and I was amazed at how poorly some of them handled it since it's not exactly an uncommon circumstance for an elderly person to have hearing loss.  I cannot tell you how many times a doctor or nurse would leave the room and Mom would turn to me and ask what she/he said.  

I had the same situation with my mother and got quite forceful about telling the medical staff to look up and speak louder. Sometimes I had to say it more than once. I never understood why they wanted an appointment to be longer and more frustrating for all of us.

I made a point of thanking the medical staff who never did it and said how much easier it was.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And if you are not a regular Amazon shopper, and would prefer not to hand your credit card info over to them, you can buy an Amazon gift card at the grocery store and use that.

Also if you have a credit card that offers the ability to generate virtual (temporary) credit card numbers that’s another safe way to shop online.  

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Public commode non-flushers:

These days, I'm not sure how to react to them. Should I:

1. Consider that they may be water conscious and decided to deliberately conserve an increasingly vulnerable vital resource by not flushing?

2. Consider that they may too phobic of germs to attempt to touch the handle despite sinks being found in virtually every public restroom in North America?

3. Consider that they may have had a sudden emergency that caused them to instantly amscray from the facilities in such haste that they barely had time to put their attire back in order and had none to spare to push the lever to flush? 

4. Consider that they may be lazy,inconsiderate  slobs who can't be bothered to flush and couldn't care less that the next occupant would need to do so?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Being a woman costing more, especially if you like to look good. 

Feminine products, hair removal, nails, makeup, hair, guys have no idea how lucky their wallets are. 

Yep.  Even if you are low maintenance (I am not), it still adds up.  And if you have any skin sensitivities or allergies, the cost goes up even more.  The most expensive part of my beauty regimen is my sunscreen because I cannot use the most common US sunscreen. It's 30 bucks every month or so.  

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yep.  Even if you are low maintenance (I am not), it still adds up.  And if you have any skin sensitivities or allergies, the cost goes up even more.  The most expensive part of my beauty regimen is my sunscreen because I cannot use the most common US sunscreen. It's 30 bucks every month or so.  

Same girl same! I have to buy Elta MD UV Clear.

I guess another pet peeve is sensitive skin! lol Those of you who don't have acne, eczema, or any sort of weird skin reactions are also lucky.  

• Love 4
On 3/5/2021 at 2:03 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

If you are still wanting the book, try the abebooks website www.abebooks.com. It’s primarily booksellers who either have brick and mortar bookstores or online bookstores. When I was selling collectible books several years ago, I sold through that site. I can’t guarantee anything on the price there for a specific book, but there’s generally a wider range of prices, depending on condition of the book, availability, and special characteristics (signed first edition, limited run, etc.). I have to wonder why a paperback would be listed at that price; it might be the seller on Amazon thinks because it’s hard to find, that someone will pay an outrageous price for it. Occasionally people will charge ridiculous prices for books that are out of print but aren’t remarkable in any other way, but I strongly recommend widening your search beyond Amazon. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I guess another pet peeve is sensitive skin! lol Those of you who don't have acne, eczema, or any sort of weird skin reactions are also lucky.  

Sensitive skin... it's the pits. I used to get eczema on the front of my legs. After using Rx's from  my dermatologist and the eczema kept returning, I began to use (during an interim when the skin was clear), Aveeno Eczema Therapy after getting out of the shower, when my legs were still a little damp. No more eczema!  This is a rarity for me, when an otc product works.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 3/4/2021 at 6:13 PM, Callietwo said:

My mother mispronounced my married name for forty years.  She read it, wrote it, and heard me say it countless times, but always added a letter when she said it.  It drove me crazy, especially since she was an English teacher (back when English teachers knew grammar and spelling) and fan of crosswords.

10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

For some reason, today it is bugging me more than usual when people type "then" when they mean "than".  Or "than" when they mean "then" for that matter.

Do you know the "Say What!  LITERALLY! and Other Offenders on the Grammar Police Docket" forum?  It's the best.

4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It took until 2000 for the British government to stop charging VAT (sales tax) on tampons, sanitary towels etc.  Apparently they aren't "essential".

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 2
On 3/5/2021 at 6:31 PM, PRgal said:

I like this company.  They make excellent liquid soaps and a nice choice of scents.

Peeve:  Being at the mercy of the USPS who seem to want to prove a point.  I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for a book that should have arrived the first of the month!!

13 hours ago, Leeds said:

Do you know the "Say What!  LITERALLY! and Other Offenders on the Grammar Police Docket" forum?  It's the best.

I do, and I contemplated posting my peeve there.  It would fit, of course, but since it was extra-peeving yesterday, I decided to post it here.

• LOL 1
3 hours ago, magicdog said:

I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for a book that should have arrived the first of the month!!

I ordered a book in January. It still isn’t here and when I contacted the seller on Amazon they said they would get a replacement to me right away. Well, it’s been another 10 days and I’m still waiting. The author Jane Fallon recommends the Book Depository which has worldwide shipping. A lot of us in my book club are now starting to use it versus Amazon or Barnes and Noble. 

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I do, and I contemplated posting my peeve there.  It would fit, of course, but since it was extra-peeving yesterday, I decided to post it here.

There have been many days recently when I could have posted hourly on both threads (Pet Peeves and Literally).  But I hold myself back because I don't want to become a peeve myself and I don't want to be chastised for starting a sentence with "there".

• Love 1